New Guild System Leaves out Small Guilds

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kane Fire Blade.7482

Kane Fire Blade.7482

worked it out so to unlock guild bounties for guilds that never did the AoW you need about 75,000+ influence! Oh look my guild is one of them cause we focused of PvE content and would you look at that the guild missions are all PvE content so why is it even there! logic please?

Posted by: Larszx.2846

Larszx.2846

Since I can’t stay logged in to the game… ANet, you really couldn’t throw some low requirement missions into the mix? Getting enough influence and building time for our small guild is about as likely as one of us getting to a legendary. First time that I feel locked out of content.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

“But what if my guild is super small?” you may say? Not to worry—all these missions take place in the persistent world, which gives you the ability to rally people from the surrounding countryside and maybe make some new friends in the process!
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/leah-rivera-on-new-guild-missions/

Guild Content – Read more about Guild Content updates in the recent blog post.
New guild upgrades are available.
The guild mission system has been implemented and includes the ability to earn merits.
Added new Guild Bounty, Guild Trek, Guild Rush, Guild Challenge, and Guild Puzzle mission types.
Added new personal rewards for participating in guild missions. These rewards can be purchased with commendations.
Banner art on existing guild upgrades has been updated.

Even a solo player can take part in these missions. They just don’t receive merits and commendations.

You first need to able to unlock the missions. aka +30.000 influence

you don’t have to unlock anything. You just need to be in the area of some other guilds mission.

Seriously I’m not going to lower myself anymore down to your level, you should do some reading before posting. If you have your own guild and you would like to get your own guild going you do need to unlock these things. Why do you think everyone in this thread is complaining ?

What do you think the maps would look like if every guild had access to guild missions? The servers would crash.

Kane Fire Blade.7482

There are players that will jump to the bigger guilds and not switch back…and that it going to hurt the small and medium guilds.

This has already happened in large numbers I know of 3 100+ guilds that have now been dropped to 30+

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

Did we all forget that we can be part of multiple guilds at a time? Rep one guild for loot per week then switch back to farm for your small guild until you unlock the content.

This isn’t rocket science, use the tools the game provides.

The game also provides tools for determining who in a guild is not representing. Oh, and there’s this other tool for kicking players from guilds. When used in conjunction, it means leechers beware.

What do you think the odds are that large guilds are going to be paying particular attention to their guild rosters over the next few weeks and implementing a policy of no moonlighting in other guilds? Pretty high, I’d say.

Best o’ luck.

Yeah, because it’s impossible to have friends in the two guilds you’re part of, right?

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: Zullal.2061

Zullal.2061

Did we all forget that we can be part of multiple guilds at a time? Rep one guild for loot per week then switch back to farm for your small guild until you unlock the content.

ever think no rep out yo go, been there done that ( i got kicked for what your saying )

Mackdose.6504

ever think no rep out yo go, been there done that ( i got kicked for what your saying )

Find a better guild. Rep nazis are the most elitist of the bunch.

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

The game also provides tools for determining who in a guild is not representing. Oh, and there’s this other tool for kicking players from guilds. When used in conjunction, it means leechers beware.

What do you think the odds are that large guilds are going to be paying particular attention to their guild rosters over the next few weeks and implementing a policy of no moonlighting in other guilds? Pretty high, I’d say.

Best o’ luck.

Yeah, because it’s impossible to have friends in the two guilds you’re part of, right?

This game has tools indeed to swich guild and “help” the other guild , while it’s mainly for personal gain, plus.. why should a bigger guild get more advantage than a smaller guild ?

Mackdose.6504

This game has tools indeed to switch guild and “help” the other guild , while it’s mainly for personal gain[.]

What personal gain exactly?

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

If ANet had created this thread https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/New-guild-missions-opinions-concerns/first let’s say…. 1 or 2 months ago and not 4 days before the patch, they could have figured out that 30k and 50k point barriers just to unlock it is a horribly stupid idea, especially for small to medium sized guilds. But hey, that would’ve been communication. Not their forte.

So, we should welcome our new era of “Zerg Wars – Bugs and Patches”

No, we should NOT DO THE CONTENT.

Ignore it. Because what happens when people spend all their time working on “content” that nobody touches? If ANet has any sense, they get canned, or at least shifted off of content development.

If you don’t like it, don’t do it. If enough of us don’t do it, it becomes a problem for ANet, not for us.

Oh yes, I actually think that many people would never touch this content. And so did the developers it seems, because they told us “do it or grind dailies for 2 months for ONE pair of earrings.” Anyone with more than one character or build simply has no choice. Most of the player base WILL toe the line, and ANET can ignore your noncompliance. It’s brilliant.

New content is supposed to be worth playing and should give rewards consistent with the rest of the game… not unique stat improvements available nowhere else. The carrot and stick has been overplayed by ANET. They are telling the players when (and how high) to jump (and dodge).

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

Skugga.5298

This game has tools indeed to switch guild and “help” the other guild , while it’s mainly for personal gain[.]

What personal gain exactly?

The bonuses you get for helping other guilds out, read it somewhere, if I’m mistaken I truly apologize.

Posted by: Lisanna.9048

Lisanna.9048

Why be apart of a guild if u dont intend to represent them? u might as well leave and not take up space on the roster

Posted by: jesterchaos.5907

jesterchaos.5907

This whole update is designed to make small guilds untenable and have to join the mass conglomerate guilds that plague the servers already.

this has done nothing to increase the sense of community, in fact its made things worse. Now the only options we have left as small guilds is to let members join bigger guilds thus decreasing our influence gain and making the whole thing a farce.

if the idea was to make three or four huge guilds then kudos achievement made. But its a big middle finger to us smaller guilds.

Anet talks about game improvement but i don’t see any, just more of the same guff getting put in the game with every update.

Viable and useful guild tools would have been preferable to this rubbish.

Posted by: Oresh.4729

Oresh.4729

10 people is a very good size for a Tier 1 bounty mission.

<facepalm> so no thought about the small 2-5 man guild? It seems that the better game content is now exclusively for huge Zerg Guilds. My guild currently has 3 active members and we will not have a chance to play this premium part of the game until after the servers are turned off. And no, we are not buying gems to pay for influence to get the good stuff. <facepalm, laugh, shakes head>

and what about 1 man guild, we can continue to go down numbers like this. 10 active members is good number for this.
with this mentality everything will be done for solo group player, o wait this is already the case for 90% of the game: dungeons, fractals, spvp, group event. only wvw is for large guild and was pvp. now they add pve for large group this is fair and square.

you are pretty selfish only thinking about your small scale guild, big guild wish to have fun in large group too and not only in wvw. Not everything should be designed for group size event. SHARE THE CAKE WITH OTHER, IF YOU CANNOT YOU ARE SELFISH

Posted by: rootnode.9546

rootnode.9546

This whole update is designed to make small guilds untenable and have to join the mass conglomerate guilds that plague the servers already.

this has done nothing to increase the sense of community, in fact its made things worse. Now the only options we have left as small guilds is to let members join bigger guilds thus decreasing our influence gain and making the whole thing a farce.

if the idea was to make three or four huge guilds then kudos achievement made. But its a big middle finger to us smaller guilds.

Anet talks about game improvement but i don’t see any, just more of the same guff getting put in the game with every update.

This is their idea of “Guild Wars”. Guilds will fight for more members to do more missions.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Kane Fire Blade.7482

This is their idea of “Guild Wars”. Guilds will fight for more members to do more missions.

Yes but small guilds don’t stand a chance at all any more this is were the problem is.
Think of this from the view of a new player.

Oh there special guild missions oh wait only large guilds can do them oh i just join one of them!

So were are small guilds gona get a chance to become great?

Posted by: ProphetZero.6017

ProphetZero.6017

Posted by: Vos.3086

Vos.3086

Why be apart of a guild if u dont intend to represent them? u might as well leave and not take up space on the roster

My guild is rep only but i am the furthest person form elitist you will ever meet i give a huge chance for people to rep and be apart of the guild.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

I’m almost certain that regardless of who has valid points to bring to the table or not, when an update causes your community to rip and tear at each other’s throats like this……..it’s a bad update.

I posted this on page 3 of what is (as of this post) a 13 page thread:

I’m bolding the important parts for emphasis. Because when you rip the very social structure of your game apart, due to a combination of bad marketing, lack of focus testing, and assumptions, then yes, you need to revisit your design in light of valid player concerns.

What I sadly observe in this thread is a growing dichotomy in the playerbase, even before the content is released. GW2 is now just another MMO with a growing “haves and haves not” division.

It appears that ANet has managed, in the space of one day’s worth of marketing hype to foster the same negative community tensions that define at least 3 other MMOs, making it harder to differentiate these games in terms of customer experience and feel. Perhaps that was the goal. Perhaps it was entirely unintentional. Again, the third set of content added that does not appear to have passed a focus group test.

Happy to see that part of GW2’s constituency has meaningful content.

And saddened it appears to be coming at the expense of community feel.

The new content will probably be a mixed bag of players adapting and adjusting as the new reward mechansim placed in front of them demands. There will probably also be attrition, as expected. Hopefully the balance will even out over time. Or until the next “controversial” content is released. In the meantime, a wedge has been applied and the social dynamics have been affected.

ANet has lost credibility in their “community-feel” messaging. Which was a major positive marketing factor for GW2.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: Spekingur.1062

Spekingur.1062

People are saying “just help other guilds doing their guild missions”. I ask them, does this not defeat the purpose of calling something Guild Missions?

jesterchaos.5907

<facepalm> so no thought about the small 2-5 man guild? It seems that the better game content is now exclusively for huge Zerg Guilds. My guild currently has 3 active members and we will not have a chance to play this premium part of the game until after the servers are turned off. And no, we are not buying gems to pay for influence to get the good stuff. <facepalm, laugh, shakes head>

and what about 1 man guild, we can continue to go down numbers like this. 10 active members is good number for this.
with this mentality everything will be done for solo group player, o wait this is already the case for 90% of the game: dungeons, fractals, spvp, group event. only wvw is for large guild and was pvp. now they add pve for large group this is fair and square.

you are pretty selfish only thinking about your small scale guild, big guild wish to have fun in large group too and not only in wvw. Not everything should be designed for group size event. SHARE THE CAKE WITH OTHER, IF YOU CANNOT YOU ARE SELFISH

Its not selfish to want to play with your guild mates on an equal footing to the large guilds in respect of game content. Your point is vapid and not well thought out. There’s nothing for small guilds in game.
Your very point makes it obvious your the selfish one lol

(edited by jesterchaos.5907)

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

1. He’s talking about the influence to unlock the missions, a small guild can’t get so much influence to unlock it, so they are left out.
2. You are just making excuses mr. fanboy. Big guilds can also dungeons, fractals, blalblabla. They even have less problems to create a group because they have more members.

Conclusion: All-in-all, 10 people is not a zerg. It’s just, 10 people PVE guilds can’t unlock the missions on their own because the influence requirement is too high. It’s just sad.

Skugga.5298

You are defending the big guilds, agree not a single guild should be left out. But this does make you selfish aswell.

I stated this before in this thread the influence should be based on the size of the guild.

There you have a fix.

Mackdose.6504

Because I want to have a guild with my friends and rep a bigger guild while my friends aren’t playing.

Why is this a hard concept to understand?

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

While my guild is not having issue with influence, I am not blind to see/understand the concerns of smaller guilds. It’s pretty obvious that this will have effect, not only on the new content, but on the growth/survival of smaller guilds. Essentially this raises “barriers to entry” that will only make start-up guilds and smaller guilds that much more difficult to prosper. A very poor choice imo.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Lisanna.9048

Lisanna.9048

You are defending the big guilds, agree not a single guild should be left out. But this does make you selfish as well.

I stated this before in this thread the influence should be based on the size of the guild.

There you have a fix.

That is also another solution, but the fact that they are saying nothing to try and calm down their customers speaks volumes about how much they value our time and money

Posted by: Vos.3086

Vos.3086

some games split people up by who spends money and who doesn’t what arenanet has done is far worse silting people up by what makes them who they are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar1kEN_ZPNM

watch and you shall understand

Oresh.4729

so tell me what can a large pve guild do to play together with all their members 1-2 nights per weeks?
excuse me but we are talking about small guild size we agree? that mean 10-15 people in the guild and 5-6 people connected in the same time.
that mean you can run organized pve content with 90% of your guild every night

give me the same thing and you complain about 1 addition of pve content for large group in the 6 month game

Posted by: Rathmus.9840

Rathmus.9840

I feel betrayed by this patch. Since the release I’ve always told people that GW2 gets it. I thought the developers understood that “end game” doesn’t have to be defined as 10 to 20 people grinding out a raid every night for hours. I thought that the developers understood that even though I don’t want to join a massive zerg guild, it doesn’t mean I don’t want the best gear in the game, nor would I work for it. This game has suited me and my playstyle up until this point.

Essentially what this patch says to me is that sure you can have a small guild but you can’t do any of the new guild missions quickly, especially on day one. I am in a small guild that is around 5 people and we’re all just friends who’ve played games together for a very long time. We’re not looking to be a big guild and meet tons of new people or anything like that. We’ve done it before and are past it. We play to run the dungeons, get the best gear and just have fun. So when I see that the first type of mission is only available though getting your Art of War high, automatically we’re screwed as we don’t pvp and have invested our points elsewhere. Not only that, but the absurd amount of points, which I’m sure wouldn’t be tough for a large guild, are insane for a group of 5.

Another thing, the new ascended pieces. I see you can get them through 5 gold and 12 guild commendations or something like that which is not bad. But if you’re not in a guild you’re charged 50 ectos and 40 laurels? Seriously? I don’t know how easy it is to get the guild commendations but I doubt it’s less than 40 days of laurels and roughly 18 gold worth of ectos.

I’m sorry if my post is all over the place but this patch is really disappointing, to the point where I don’t see what the purpose is of continuing to play. Thanks a lot ANet.

(edited by Rathmus.9840)

Posted by: rootnode.9546

rootnode.9546

And the deleting starts again….way to handle PR…

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Oresh.4729

I feel betrayed by this patch. Since the release I’ve always told people that GW2 gets it. I thought the developers understood that “end game” doesn’t have to be defined as 10 to 20 people grinding out a raid every night for hours. I thought that the developers understood that even though I don’t want to join a massive zerg guild, it doesn’t mean I don’t want the best gear in the game, nor would I work for it. This game has suited me and my playstyle up until this point.

Essentially what this patch says to me is that sure you can have a small guild but you can’t do any of the new guild missions quickly, especially on day one. I am in a small guild that is around 5 people and we’re all just friends who’ve played games together for a very long time. We’re not looking to be a big guild, or do guild events or even pvp. We play to run the dungeons, get the best gear and just have fun. So when I see that the first type of mission is only available though getting your Art of War high, automatically we’re screwed as we don’t pvp and have invested our points elsewhere. Not only that, but the absurd amount of points, which I’m sure wouldn’t be tough for a large guild, are insane for a group of 5.

Another thing, the new ascended pieces. I see you can get them through 5 gold and 12 guild commendations or something like that which is not bad. But if you’re not in a guild you’re charged 50 ectos and 40 laurels? Seriously? I don’t know how easy it is to get the guild commendations but I doubt it’s less than 40 days of laurels and roughly 18 gold worth of ectos.

I’m sorry if my post is all over the place but this patch is really disappointing, to the point where I don’t see what the purpose is of continuing to play. Thanks a lot ANet.

so you want to finish the patch in 1 day and get the 2 new ascended earring tonight because you feel like this should be so?

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

Guess starting guilds is out of the order now
I’d like one very clear answer here:

What if i want to form a guild around a group of players i met ingame to do guildmissions with?

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

jesterchaos.5907

I’m almost certain that regardless of who has valid points to bring to the table or not, when an update causes your community to rip and tear at each other’s throats like this……..it’s a bad update.

I posted this on page 3 of what is (as of this post) a 13 page thread:

I’m bolding the important parts for emphasis. Because when you rip the very social structure of your game apart, due to a combination of bad marketing, lack of focus testing, and assumptions, then yes, you need to revisit your design in light of valid player concerns.

What I sadly observe in this thread is a growing dichotomy in the playerbase, even before the content is released. GW2 is now just another MMO with a growing “haves and haves not” division.

It appears that ANet has managed, in the space of one day’s worth of marketing hype to foster the same negative community tensions that define at least 3 other MMOs, making it harder to differentiate these games in terms of customer experience and feel. Perhaps that was the goal. Perhaps it was entirely unintentional. Again, the third set of content added that does not appear to have passed a focus group test.

Happy to see that part of GW2’s constituency has meaningful content.

And saddened it appears to be coming at the expense of community feel.

The new content will probably be a mixed bag of players adapting and adjusting as the new reward mechansim placed in front of them demands. There will probably also be attrition, as expected. Hopefully the balance will even out over time. Or until the next “controversial” content is released. In the meantime, a wedge has been applied and the social dynamics have been affected.

ANet has lost credibility in their “community-feel” messaging. Which was a major positive marketing factor for GW2.

The “Community” aspect of GW2 has been dreadful from the start “ressing” random players is not community building even though its in the community achievements its just basic common decency.

The guilds have been flawed from the start, and this has just compounded things. I’m not angry, I’m really not i think indifferent is more accurate. Anyone who is familiar with anet like i am and have been in one of their games for the last 7 years, and we know when they are hitting the PR companies with great sounding guff, means we are in for disappointment. So I knew this update wouldn’t be the holy grail that would fix the many issues GW2 has.

The dreadful story content up to level 59, the lack of replay value after killing zhaitan the grind they said would never happen. The community has been broken since the game opened. I cant see anyway that they are ever gonna fix it. But I will carry on playing. Hoping that one day they actually get it right.

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

Well I was really looking forward to this update.

I have NEVER been more disappointed in my life.

I am in a small guild of friends who came over from GW1. Now, after 7 years, we may face extinction because. Oh, sure, we will probably all still be in the guild but already people are joining other large guilds and representing them in order to take part in the missions. So now, after playing together for all this time, we can’t even talk to each other because this fricken game only lets you read guild chat from one guild at at time and has no alliance format.

I don’t really care about missing out on the rewards from the missions

I care about the fact that i can no longer talk to my friends because some bonehead decision in ANet elected to force people into big guilds.

Posted by: stobie.2134

stobie.2134

Essentially what this patch says to me is that sure you can have a small guild but you can’t do any of the new guild missions quickly, especially on day one. I am in a small guild that is around 5 people and we’re all just friends who’ve played games together for a very long time. We’re not looking to be a big guild and meet tons of new people or anything like that. We’ve done it before and are past it. We play to run the dungeons, get the best gear and just have fun. So when I see that the first type of mission is only available though getting your Art of War high, automatically we’re screwed as we don’t pvp and have invested our points elsewhere. Not only that, but the absurd amount of points, which I’m sure wouldn’t be tough for a large guild, are insane for a group of 5.

Thank you. This is exactly how I feel.

Skugga.5298

Well said, nice read.
Indeed, my guild started not too long ago we managed to get several upgrades so I’m happy about that, we do dungeons quiet often but sometimes we just want to do something else, while we can do events they just don’t provide a whole lot.
When I read about guild missions I got excited and I though “yes, our guild has something else to focus on and maybe bring in some of our lower level friends.” but the amount of influence you need to gain is absurd.

I’ve been playing hard to get to the small number of members I have right now, and also trying to keep them.
But now, we don’t stand a chanse, allready had multiple members before this patch not representing because the bigger guilds have everything, all the boosts, bonuses and what not. While all we can do is provide fun in the guild chat, dungeons, and make true friends. All this is in vein now.

Posted by: Rathmus.9840

Rathmus.9840

Essentially what this patch says to me is that sure you can have a small guild but you can’t do any of the new guild missions quickly, especially on day one. I am in a small guild that is around 5 people and we’re all just friends who’ve played games together for a very long time. We’re not looking to be a big guild, or do guild events or even pvp. We play to run the dungeons, get the best gear and just have fun. So when I see that the first type of mission is only available though getting your Art of War high, automatically we’re screwed as we don’t pvp and have invested our points elsewhere. Not only that, but the absurd amount of points, which I’m sure wouldn’t be tough for a large guild, are insane for a group of 5.

so you want to finish the patch in 1 day and get the 2 new ascended earring tonight because you feel like this should be so?

No, I didn’t say that at all. I don’t mind working for gear, I’ve farmed out many exotic sets for myself and my toons. What I’m saying is there’s a discrepancy in terms of cost of getting earrings through guild currencies and getting it through non-guild currencies.

Also, I don’t expect to do all the new guild content in one day, no, not even in one week or one month, but I’d like to be able to do something on day one. I don’t think that’s asking too much.

Skugga.5298

It’s not about the gear, it’s about the guild.
Some people actually care more about grouping up and having fun than gear.

Posted by: Martin Kerstein.3071

Previous

Martin Kerstein.3071

Head of Global Community

Let me reiterate what Izzy said in another thread:

Isaiah Cartwright

I know there have been some concerns about Guild Bounties being in the Art of War line. Our goal with this system is to give guilds activities and long-term progression that they can accomplish by working together as a guild. These missions are meant to be difficult and challenging to not only unlock, but to accomplish.

We would also like to make every guild upgrade line valuable to every guild. Currently, Art of War is very focused on PvP and WvW, but our plan is to continue to add more guild upgrades in the Art of War line to accomplish this. These Guild Missions are the first step. Along with this system, we also added a number of new guild upgrades that guilds can earn.

In the end, our goal for all of this content is to give guilds new goals and challenges to accomplished once they have researched deeply into each line, as well as require guilds to have researched multiple lines to unlock some upgrades. We expect guild members to have to work together as a guild to earn the influence needed to unlock these new missions, as well as overcome the challenge of the missions themselves.

In the future, we plan to continue to add more guild upgrades, as well as continue to add challenging guild missions, as we don’t want guilds to run out of goals and accomplishments they can achieve.

~Izzy @-’—-

It also looks like the OP no longer feels this strongly about this:

I over reacted, we’ve been running CoF P1 so much everyone had extra gold and dumped it into influence.

2g for 1000 (60g for the upgrade) Influence is pretty cheap.

My thoughts is, if this is content made for large zerg groups, chances are talented groups will prob be able to accomplish them with half the people. No one should be freaking out.

So i will close this thread. There is another thread with an active discussion:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/New-guild-missions-opinions-concerns

(edited by Moderator)