New Legendaries / Rework

New Legendaries / Rework

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Will I eventually be able to get a Legendary Cryo Dagger so I can freeze enemies and then melt them with the Incinerator? I’m looking forward to what new Legendary dagger I may one day off-hand. I don’t want 2 of the same dagger, as the many who have already aimed for dual incinerators.
Actually, being able to edit the particle color would be cool too, in multiple ways. I’d make the Incinerator flame blue.

Would the new ones follow the same base recipe of gift of fortune and mastery?

Also, will Incinerator actually one day be able to incinerate my enemies into dust, leaving behind their bones? Probably not, but I feel better throwing it out there. :P
I like bones and it’d make them easier to get to.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

If anyone is familiar with Runescape and the Completionist cape (both regular and trimmed) know that is the “end-game item achievement”. This takes YEARS of grinding and 1 of the items on the checklist takes 5,000 games of a mini-game at 20 minutes each. I agree with Vol. Any Precursor checklist should be long, it should be hard, it should be a grind.

Legendary weapons should be legendary. Pay the cash or do the time for your precursor.

Your last line is highly contradictory. What is at all legendary about forking over cash?

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: ZenJii.7490

ZenJii.7490

I really appreciate the idea of a scavengerhunt and it makes me happy to see a statement showing us they are actually working on it.

But I’d like to point out things that seem to get drowned in the euphoria of an upcoming scavengerhunt.

Once you’ve acquired your beloved precursor, you find yourself facing a new possible problem, an extrem rise of the prices for the rest of the mats.

Because once everyone has their precursor they’ll obviously need all the other things aswell and this will most likely push prices much higher than they allready are.

Let’s be honest, who’s going to farm the t6 mats entirely? who’s going to farm the lodestones (especially the charged ones)? No, it’s much easier to buy them and we know what this will cause.

Now don’t get me wrong, I totally support the concept of the scanvengerhunt. I just think that before implementing it, other aspects of building the legendary should be adjusted. Because as it is now, it might create a new problem.

But perhaps it’s allready planned to make adjustements or maybe my scenario will not occure.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

If anyone is familiar with Runescape and the Completionist cape (both regular and trimmed) know that is the “end-game item achievement”. This takes YEARS of grinding and 1 of the items on the checklist takes 5,000 games of a mini-game at 20 minutes each. I agree with Vol. Any Precursor checklist should be long, it should be hard, it should be a grind.

Legendary weapons should be legendary. Pay the cash or do the time for your precursor.

Your last line is highly contradictory. What is at all legendary about forking over cash?

Farming 600G is a feat in itself. Taking that time to either farm or complete a checklist is the same in the end. It is Legendary in the fact that you either 1) spend the time farming all the mats or 2) spent the time farming gold to buy the mats. Not sure how it’s contradictory…

It’s about the time commitment, not the summation of the value of the components.

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

It’s easy to make gold in this game if you commit the time to it. If you don’t, it’s hard. Sure you can point to the examples of credit card kids or people who flip on the outpost, but those people are a minority.

Gold – > Time commitment

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

New Legendaries / Rework

Vol.5241

I really appreciate the idea of a scavengerhunt and it makes me happy to see a statement showing us they are actually working on it.

But I’d like to point out things that seem to get drowned in the euphoria of an upcoming scavengerhunt.

Once you’ve acquired your beloved precursor, you find yourself facing a new possible problem, an extrem rise of the prices for the rest of the mats.

Because once everyone has their precursor they’ll obviously need all the other things aswell and this will most likely push prices much higher than they allready are.

Let’s be honest, who’s going to farm the t6 mats entirely? who’s going to farm the lodestones (especially the charged ones)? No, it’s much easier to buy them and we know what this will cause.

Now don’t get me wrong, I totally support the concept of the scanvengerhunt. I just think that before implementing it, other aspects of building the legendary should be adjusted. Because as it is now, it might create a new problem.

But perhaps it’s allready planned to make adjustements or maybe my scenario will not occure.

Adjustment? Why? To make it easier and cheaper? The only adjustment they need is to provide alternatives to the legendary process.

Higher T6 prices work both ways. It costs more for legendary hunters to acquire but it also rewards more gold for those who do not wish or already have their legendary.

[Permabanned on Forums]

New Legendaries / Rework

Feed Me Change.6528

I’m currently missing my pre-cursor and the lodestones for Frostfang, and a couple T6 mats. I am taking PRIDE in making my Legendary WITHOUT playing the TP, WITHOUT farming CoFP1 and WITHOUT camping Orr for hours on end. Laurels, WvW, random Meta Events and Orr Nodes are my only source of income/mats.

Yes, I’d like to have some other way to get the 400G needed for my pre-cursor (don’t even get me started on the lodestones) but I don’t want to go that way, I’d rather have a scavenger hunt to get it. I WANT to spend the time to get what I need, rather then farm the gold in CoF or buy it with my credit card.

EDIT: Easier ways to get T6?? Srsly? lol.. you get 40 T6 crafting bags a month (120 total) for free if you wish and just killing mobs in Orr give you plenty of mats.

With Vol, It’s not about making it easier or harder to get certain parts, it is about OPTIONS.

(edited by Feed Me Change.6528)

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Mika.9815

Mika.9815

Or put it another way, I hope that Anet will hold on to their goal that only 5% of they player base will ever get a legendary. As a player who has already put in the tremendous effort to get my legendary, I don’t want to see many more than the 5% of players running around with them. However it’s implemented, the precursor hunt should be epic and not too easy.

I really hope that they make the scavenger difficult and long enough that players will still think that the 600g or so to buy some precursors is a suitable alternative.

i.e. includes:
-10,000 WvW kills
-90 laurels
-50 guild commendations
-dungeon master
-50 SPvP Tourneys

+ a whole list of scavenger item requirements that can only be acquired through beating tough bosses, acquired at different times at the day, and through solo and team work.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

That concept is much cleaner. I dislike the current meteologicus because it looks like a big lump of white thing and it’s just too messy imo.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Is there any sort of timeline on this? It was first stated over 6 months ago I believe. Is this something that is going to happen in the next few months? 6 more months? A year? 10 years? Obviously you can’t give us an exact date, but some sort of rough timeline would be nice.

We’ve learned we really can’t give timelines, since if we’re ever wrong a mob comes after us with torches and pitchforks I can say we started designing this, and realized the proper (not hacked in quick) solution needs to be a part of bigger systems that more clearly directs players as well as ties in comprehensive rewards for playing across our game world, which we’re currently working on right now.

Some small parts of that comprehensive plan for game reward systems are already rolling out this month with the updates to WvW rank rewards.

For more details of our high-level strategy, feel free to check out:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

So this is actually a very good thing… but… you’ve already accomplished pretty much everything stated in that blog post. Any chance we’ll get an updated one for the second half of 2013? Obviously the living story will continue to grow and expand, but an update on what’s coming in other aspects of the game would be great.

New Legendaries / Rework

Doggie.3184

I’m currently missing my pre-cursor and the lodestones for Frostfang, and a couple T6 mats. I am taking PRIDE in making my Legendary WITHOUT playing the TP, WITHOUT farming CoFP1 and WITHOUT camping Orr for hours on end. Laurels, WvW, random Meta Events and Orr Nodes are my only source of income/mats.

Yes, I’d like to have some other way to get the 400G needed for my pre-cursor (don’t even get me started on the lodestones) but I don’t want to go that way, I’d rather have a scavenger hunt to get it. I WANT to spend the time to get what I need, rather then farm the gold in CoF or buy it with my credit card.

EDIT: Easier ways to get T6?? Srsly? lol.. you get 40 T6 crafting bags a month (120 total) for free if you wish and just killing mobs in Orr give you plenty of mats.

With Vol, It’s not about making it easier or harder to get certain parts, it is about OPTIONS.

Lodestones took me the longest out of everything. I just kept buying Cores and MFing them. I tried farming them but it was impossible; pretty much all of my lodestones were crafted from cores I bought. I farmed T6 items directly while placing buy orders with money mainly gained from ectos, excess T6 I didn’t need and orichalcum/ancient.

New Legendaries / Rework

Vol.5241

Or put it another way, I hope that Anet will hold on to their goal that only 5% of they player base will ever get a legendary. As a player who has already put in the tremendous effort to get my legendary, I don’t want to see many more than the 5% of players running around with them. However it’s implemented, the precursor hunt should be epic and not too easy.

I really hope that they make the scavenger difficult and long enough that players will still think that the 600g or so to buy some precursors is a suitable alternative.

i.e. includes:
-10,000 WvW kills
-90 laurels
-50 guild commendations
-dungeon master
-50 SPvP Tourneys

+ a whole list of scavenger item requirements that can only be acquired through beating tough bosses, acquired at different times at the day, and through solo and team work.

I agree, I wikitten were harder, but it’s too late to turn back now. I think the current process is too easy – with hardcore farm you can get it in a month. I have 3 now, could afford 2 more.

I was hoping before release that legendaries would take hardcore farmers 4 months to get.

[Permabanned on Forums]

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

Sorry, by new tier of legendary, I don’t mean new weapons, like 2 extra sta kitten in addition to the Bifrost

By ‘ascended legendary’ I mean you can upgrade you current legendary using more expensive recipes that will make it more desirable and look even cooler.

E.g.
-FSP will now have a trail of flying ghost books as you walk around with it, equivalent to footprints
-Sunrise will now have rays of Sunlight shoot out on critical hits (Twilight will have dark streaks like those flying dark things in Harry Potter)
-Bifrost will now have shards of icy footprints
-Juggernaut will now leave noticeable damage marks on the ground after each pummel/attack

edit: Not sure why “s.t.a. kitten ” is getting converted to kittens with this filter

That actually sounds pretty awesome. It would also be nice if there were a way to visually differentiate your legendary from other same legendaries. Like change the color or find different parts for it. Like find different shafts, heads, hilts, different shape blades etc and find add on parts for flair. It would just be nice to personalize it.

New Legendaries / Rework

Feed Me Change.6528

Lodestones took me the longest out of everything. I just kept buying Cores and MFing them. I tried farming them but it was impossible; pretty much all of my lodestones were crafted from cores I bought. I farmed T6 items directly while placing buy orders with money mainly gained from ectos, excess T6 I didn’t need and orichalcum/ancient.

Thanks for that insight. I have 4 of my T6 mat stacks and what excess I get from loot bags or drops, I sell. I have a decent amount of gold (~140) so I have enough to buy ‘some’ of the lodestones but not all. Yeah I wish there was an easier way to get them but then it’s not a challenge. I wish there was more ways to get Account-bound mats.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Or put it another way, I hope that Anet will hold on to their goal that only 5% of they player base will ever get a legendary. (…)

I don’t recall Anet ever stating that as their goal, could you point me towards it?

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Looking forward to a real way to obtain legendaries and a rework of the ridiculous looking/goofy legendaries Good news has been coming out recently, let’s hope the trend continues.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Titles can be a grind, legendaries should never take years to get. They should be raredrops.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

they told pvp would not be involved in acquisition of PvE things…
I wonder if i can trust something anet says or even this time they will turn back on their words…..

As far as I know, people are not in WvW naked smacking each other with their hands…Weapons and Armor are not strictly PvE…sorry

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Antisceptic.9174

Antisceptic.9174

Please give us legendary bows that belong in a world of combat and turmoil, not children’s cartoons and gardening channels.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Please give us legendary bows that belong in a world of combat and turmoil, not children’s cartoons and gardening channels.

This guy knows what’s up.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

This guy knows what’s up.

They like the dreamer…free advertising on the unicorns behind.

If I could change that to my guild symbol, or a symbol of my choosing…THAT would be hawt…

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

What about the pistol?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Skaven Zverov.2984

Skaven Zverov.2984

Some Legendary suggestions by me:

Attachments:

White Flash of Gunnar’s Hold – Hennera Silentwind [CORE]

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

I am horrified by most of the requests here haha. Give tremon sound effects for juggernaut.. give footsteps for my this and that… I hope they wont. I want legendaries that look GOOD but that dont make annoying sounds. I want legendaries that dont look like you have kitten ed yourself(sunrise) or thakitten is that time of the month(twilight) they look kitten kittened.

Anet, please, make legendaries that make sense and not over the top to the point where you look like a clown.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Or put it another way, I hope that Anet will hold on to their goal that only 5% of they player base will ever get a legendary. (…)

I don’t recall Anet ever stating that as their goal, could you point me towards it?

That sounds more like a user goal, not anets. Because honestly that 5% would be the ones who farm it without using real $$ – I’m sure they would of given up & quit gw2 by then

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

We still plan to…

Okay then. Rules:

• No more KTR and RNG BS

Good Luck CJ.

I’ve meant Kill Ten Rat type collectings and RNG on drops.
For sure, the combat shouldn’t been touched on this topic.
Is it some of ours wish to have much more dinamical combat and movements, because the current one is boring.

Anyway, I made up some suggestion in [iR] topics.
You may hit it up and think about how legendary items should be optained IMO.

No more xxx-xxxx damage on weapons? No more critchance? (would ruin 2 complete attribute lines) No more x% chance on xx Runes, Sigils? This would make me sad.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

New Legendaries / Rework

Doggie.3184

I am horrified by most of the requests here haha. Give tremon sound effects for juggernaut.. give footsteps for my this and that… I hope they wont. I want legendaries that look GOOD but that dont make annoying sounds. I want legendaries that dont look like you have kitten ed yourself(sunrise) or thakitten is that time of the month(twilight) they look kitten kittened.

Anet, please, make legendaries that make sense and not over the top to the point where you look like a clown.

You don’t like the Quip? Actually, I don’t either. :s

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I was thinking the same thing, Either it may implement entirely new T6 mats? highly unlikely though – or current T6 mats will be increased in drop rate, which would be fantastic in this situation

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

We still plan to do both new legendary weapons, as well as a clear path (on top of the current random chance) to gain precursors which players can see their progress and understand how much work they have left to do to gain it.

It’s highly likely the precursor concept will involve playing varied different content all over the game to gather numerous content specific materials that are combined together to make a precursor.

We do also want to maintain that chance you could get lucky and earn one earlier through random drops, so when we add the new system we will not remove the current one to ensure players have multiple ways to gain the items. Also with the upcoming update to WvW, there will be a chance players can earn precursors from the WvW rank reward chests as well.

So building a precursor will be like building a legendary? What will be the precursor to the precursor then?

Also.. I’m wondering about Icy Runestones. Any chance of making another method to get those or are those just going to stay a pure goldsink.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: SirusDibley.3716

SirusDibley.3716

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Asuka Shikinami.5462

Asuka Shikinami.5462

I hate to point this out, but there would have likely been more support for some sort of precusor event/quest chain that requires skill than any aspect of the living story content over the last few months….

Anyway, please consider making legenderies account bound once equipped (regardless if they are transmuted/new sigil). For the amount of work required to make a legendary, having it locked to a single character is tedious. Being able to share a single weapon among characters isn’t going to break the economy, especially with the resources required to put it together in the first place.

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink”
- John Smith

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

^ what he said.

R.I.P Kumu <3

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Please don’t make it a massive grind like current system, and add some challenging quests (you know, questing, that thing we used to do in MMO’s?)

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

Precursor from a series of one time challenging quest is a good idea. Although maybe if the quest is really challenging, you can award it with legendary directly.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

^ bad idea if the reward is Legendary

R.I.P Kumu <3

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I’d suggest to implement it in a non-farming way. More like a challenge of your skill. It should be really using instances where only one person is allowed. The challenge could be in a variety of ways:

• entering a crypt and avoiding all traps + a bossfight at the end (you could instance the dungeon in the north of gendarran fields + scale the spider boss to 1 player)
  • a jumping puzzle (instanced to get rid of portal-help, e.g. the big one in Lions Arch where you have to challenge the ghost-pirate at the end – a duell)

in short: use environment already in the game, but instanced – so that it becomes a legendary-challenge.

Add lore to it (!!). The dugeon in Gendarran Fields would introduce you to a Nemesis. The big spider would be his “pet”. Once defeated you find a clue where the villain was going to next. (cryptical clue, you have to find it out for yourself which leads you to the Jumping puzzle. Once you enter it you meet him again. He runs through the JP and summons evil ghosts behind him. If you’re fast enough, those ghosts will be behind you, if not you’ll have to fight them to move on. With his power he turns the NPC at the end in this JP against you. You’ll have to free him by weakening in battle.

etc. etc.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: zerorogue.9410

zerorogue.9410

Although I’m sure a few out there will probably hate this idea. One thing I thought about for a precursor hunt is an item called “Gift of the Precursor”

Gift of the Precursor
25 laurels
This + alll 3 other gifts for a legendary create the precursor to that legendary.
So For example:
Gift of the Precursor + Gift of The Bifrost +Gift of Mastery + Gift of Fortune = The Legend
Yeah I know expensive ^_^ but maybe it can be changed to make it easier.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Minos.3450

Minos.3450

Although I’m sure a few out there will probably hate this idea. One thing I thought about for a precursor hunt is an item called “Gift of the Precursor”

Gift of the Precursor
25 laurels
This + alll 3 other gifts for a legendary create the precursor to that legendary.
So For example:
Gift of the Precursor + Gift of The Bifrost +Gift of Mastery + Gift of Fortune = The Legend
Yeah I know expensive but maybe it can be changed to make it easier.

So to sum it up, all you suggest is more farm…

I’m more into a scavenger hunt in the ways some people here have already proposed : forcing you to explore in depths every parts of the game (dungeons, events, JPs, WvW, sPvP) plus some riddles to solve.

New Legendaries / Rework

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I’m more into a scavenger hunt in the ways some people here have already proposed : forcing you to explore in depths every parts of the game (dungeons, events, JPs, WvW, sPvP) plus some riddles to solve.

yes please

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Annelotte.8105

Annelotte.8105

We still plan to do both new legendary weapons, as well as a clear path (on top of the current random chance) to gain precursors which players can see their progress and understand how much work they have left to do to gain it.

It’s highly likely the precursor concept will involve playing varied different content all over the game to gather numerous content specific materials that are combined together to make a precursor.

We do also want to maintain that chance you could get lucky and earn one earlier through random drops, so when we add the new system we will not remove the current one to ensure players have multiple ways to gain the items. Also with the upcoming update to WvW, there will be a chance players can earn precursors from the WvW rank reward chests as well.

Meteorlogicus And The Minstrel REWORK!

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Doomsayer.8250

Doomsayer.8250

Obtaining the Giant Slayer achievement should be part of the Precursor acquisition process. If people want a Legendary, they should have to put in effort to obtain one.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Obtaining the Giant Slayer achievement should be part of the Precursor acquisition process. If people want a Legendary, they should have to put in effort to obtain one.

Waiting for Events to reappear? Some people just don’t think before they write.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

I just hope it’s not too easy to obtain. There’s not a whole lot of skill required in this game, so the only real way is to make it a time grind. It should take months at the very least.

New Legendaries / Rework

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I just hope it’s not too easy to obtain. There’s not a whole lot of skill required in this game, so the only real way is to make it a time grind. It should take months at the very least.

no, there is a way to show skill: in instances where you are alone. You can’t cheat via portals in an instanced Jumping Puzzle and you can’t cheat defeating a boss via zerging him down in an instanced mission either.

imho this wouldn’t require unrealistic amount of work, just a few new lines for NPCs and the use of already existing locations to be made instanced.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

no, there is a way to show skill: in instances where you are alone. You can’t cheat via portals in an instanced Jumping Puzzle and you can’t cheat defeating a boss via zerging him down in an instanced mission either.

imho this wouldn’t require unrealistic amount of work, just a few new lines for NPCs and the use of already existing locations to be made instanced.

I hadn’t thought of that actually. I would be totally fine with really difficult singe-player instances as a means of precursor achievements as long as we got an assurance there would be no nerfing of them when the inevitable whiners start coming out in droves. They would have to be well designed though. Otherwise everyone will just look up the easiest way to do them online and cheese their way through because it turns out standing in this one specific spot makes the boss trivial or something. I really hate the internet sometimes.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Something i would like for legendaries is…lore.Seriously, give them some lore. Some backstory that explains why they are legendary, outside of costs and a color. Of the current ones, just “The Flameseeker Prophecies” are really legendary in that regard.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

There is no correlation between “difficult” and “time consuming”. The Mad King’s Tower jumping puzzle only took a few minutes and was incredible difficult. Getting 250 of each T6 material for the Gift of Might and Gift of Magic requires almost no skill at all but takes weeks or months to achieve.

New Legendaries / Rework

Vol.5241

People keep saying “please make it skill-based”

You need to expand on this. I just cannot envision a scenario where a quest for a precursor would be challenging enough to be difficult for the top 5% of the playerbase, and one that would take a lot of time to complete.

Jumping puzzle? Bosses? Those aren’t skill based. Jumping puzzles are extremely easy for the average gamer. People who stink at those just do not have the hand-eye coordination of the average gamer. Bosses can be easily exploited, zerged and hard to design so that all classes will be able to handle it equally.

And then there are the casual players who will suddenly complain that said content is ‘too difficult’ and that they want a precursor handed to them in mere hours.

Unfortunately, the best way to ‘gate’ legendary items, which are (or will be) BIS items is time and gold. Time shows commitment to the game which is more important than ‘skill’.

[Permabanned on Forums]

New Legendaries / Rework

Marcus Greythorne.6843

People keep saying “please make it skill-based”

1.) You need to expand on this. I just cannot envision a scenario where a quest for a precursor would be challenging enough to be difficult for the top 5% of the playerbase, and one that would take a lot of time to complete.

2.) Jumping puzzle? Bosses? Those aren’t skill based. Jumping puzzles are extremely easy for the average gamer. People who stink at those just do not have the hand-eye coordination of the average gamer. Bosses can be easily exploited, zerged and hard to design so that all classes will be able to handle it equally.

And then there are the casual players who will suddenly complain that said content is ‘too difficult’ and that they want a precursor handed to them in mere hours.

3.) Unfortunately, the best way to ‘gate’ legendary items, which are (or will be) BIS items is time and gold. Time shows commitment to the game which is more important than ‘skill’.

1.) the precursor imho should be the skill-dependant part where all the lore is, the rest is already pretty time consuming… tons of mats you have to collect. So both: challenging and time consuming is in there.

2.) Not to be rude, but where’s your imagination? + you didn’t read my suggestion but only pick parts of it out of context. You can make (as I explained above) JPs challenging by instancing those and add new layers to it. Like a NPC who spawns veterans/champions behind him so that you have to

• be fast enough to let them spawn behind you —> it’s a race between you and the npc, OR
  • be strong enough to beat the veterans while they try to knock you off the ledges.

Furthermore: instanced bosses can’t be rushed and exploits are quite easy to fix in 1-player instances. Hard to design? It worked pretty well in the personal story missions.

3.) time and gold only is good for

• people who flip trading post offers for hours (which is quite boring and not worth a legendary imho)
  • people who farm for hours the most efficient route (which is also quite boring imho and favours players with a constant group)

EDIT: As I can see from your Sig that you already had 20(!!!) exotic drops I assume that you love farming. Nothing wrong with that. I see though, why you don’t like the idea of rewards for challenge instead of grind. Just to add, I play since release and had not a single exotic drop from open world mobs yet.

(edited by Marcus Greythorne.6843)

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

EDIT: As I can see from your Sig that you already had 20(!!!) exotic drops I assume that you love farming. Nothing wrong with that. I see though, why you don’t like the idea of rewards for challenge instead of grind. Just to add, I play since release and had not a single exotic drop from open world mobs yet.

I’ve been playing since release.

Exotics that dropped for me between 2012 and April 2013: zero.
Exotics that dropped for me the last 2 weeks: seven.

My MF: 24%.

(And they didn’t drop in Southsun Cove, so no Settler buff was involved.)