Posted by: kirashi.5830

kirashi.5830

Where do you start these?

New Living Story Achievements

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

You should have received an in-game mail directing you to the areas which you need to explore: Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau.

You should see a refugee camp in Lion’s Arch, near the Farshore Waypoint. By speaking to the refugees, you will discover that they’ve lost some items on their journey to Lion’s Arch. You can help them out by finding these lost items. Initially, you will see two refugees. When further phases of the event unlock, and the refugee area in Lion’s Arch grows in size, you will find new people to talk to who may also be missing items.

You will find the lost items in areas where the new Living Story events are spawning in the world, usually near the invader portals or invader vehicles. Note: in the event of a new build or server restart, the locations for the lost items may change.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

Are the lost items all available in game right now? Or will others be added as the Living Story continues? Because I could only find two refugees, and two lost items.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Tsubaki.8732

Tsubaki.8732

Are the lost items all available in game right now? Or will others be added as the Living Story continues? Because I could only find two refugees, and two lost items.

From the post right above yours:

Initially, you will see two refugees. When further phases of the event unlock, and the refugee area in Lion’s Arch grows in size, you will find new people to talk to who may also be missing items.

also interesting:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lost_and_Found

Posted by: KatiesAura.5928

KatiesAura.5928

search and rescue anyone? guess this part is done until who knows when (we have a month or so)

I may be your guardian angel but I don’t have the ability to walk through walls

Posted by: Darlgon.9273

Darlgon.9273

You should have received an in-game mail directing you to the areas which you need to explore: Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau.

You should see a refugee camp in Lion’s Arch, near the Farshore Waypoint. By speaking to the refugees, you will discover that they’ve lost some items on their journey to Lion’s Arch. You can help them out by finding these lost items. Initially, you will see two refugees. When further phases of the event unlock, and the refugee area in Lion’s Arch grows in size, you will find new people to talk to who may also be missing items.

You will find the lost items in areas where the new Living Story events are spawning in the world, usually near the invader portals or invader vehicles. Note: in the event of a new build or server restart, the locations for the lost items may change.

Yeah.. uhhh.. about that.. My Charrdian got a letter from Rytlock directing him to report to Black Citadel with a hint of people to talk to in Lions Arch and WF/DP. But the refugee coordinator in BC sent me back to Lions Arch, (not a small zone), while the heralds in Lions Arch sent me to WF/DP, with no direction where to go once I got there.. The information was too generic and confusing at that time, so I just set off to figure out all the other changes. Will see if it looks less confusing today.

Charrdian, Ashura Mesmer, Norn Ranger, Sylvari Elementalist and Human Magic Engineer

Posted by: Salacious.7358

Salacious.7358

I have the first two items, where is the third item?

Posted by: Mia Lunarfang.5826

Mia Lunarfang.5826

When further phases of the event unlock, and the refugee area in Lion’s Arch grows in size, you will find new people to talk to who may also be missing items.

So I’d say most players are with me when I say the wait is rather annoying, the least you could do is inform us when the next phase will be unlocked so we’re not running back and forth with our heads cut off. We have real lives and cannot afford to be checking in twenty-four-seven to see if anything has changed. Or at least be free to enjoy the game without worrying about it. The progress is very daunting, and your slow pace makes the event boring. We quickly found two items… so now what do we do now? I know you have everything formatted and ready for release, so whats the hold up?

Sorry for being rude, the main point here is I would like to know WHEN the ‘further phases of the event unlock’. I don’t think that’s asking for much, after all, you informed us of the time details involving the Karka event, which by the way was of a much higher standard in quality, a fast paced event that allowed the players to get in on the action. Is it too much to asks for the continuance of your swift flowing story progression that captured us in the first place? You set a standard, keep it.

(edited by Mia Lunarfang.5826)

Posted by: Genophix.3098

Genophix.3098

Heya guys,

Last month we started the ‘pre-event’ for this new living story and the concept sounds very interesting. Rather than a one off event we are going to be treated to an ongoing story that unfolds over the months ahead. So now we are starting month 2 I feel like I must give some feedback from the ground so to speak.

I drive my guild mates mad with my overly positive attitude but I’m really struggling to enjoy these events, I really want to but here’s why I’m not.

Like I said, the concept is awesome and it’s hard not to imagine what you guys have in store. I’m basing this level of expectation on the massive and excellent monthly updates so far. Yes, the pre-event did feel very light but as I kept telling people in map chat and guild chat who were saying ‘is that it?’ this was only an introduction.

So this month I was hoping to see this living story hit the ground running and really show off this new way of delivering content. Yesterday I had a day off so after visiting the NPCs in LA and Holebrak headed into Wayfarers. So far I’ve found an event which you have to stop Dredge coming through the portals and also found a buried object in both areas.

Is this all we can expect for another month? I’m sorry if I sound like I’m being negative but I’m more worried about how it’s been seen by other players (who lets face it are a tough crowd at the best of times). Even the event with the portals seems very tame in itself, why not have a small finale with a Dredge APC rolling in or some kind of veteran. Then when the tank is beaten you have 10 seconds to escape the blast wave.

As it stands I really think players we expecting far more. If you are planning more phases to this before next month then I really think you should be hinting at this. This far I think players are not enjoying it and I’m getting reports of ‘very boring’ from my guild mates.

I hope this feedback helps. As always we are still enjoying the game as a whole and love all the other updates this month, finally seeing my toon holding Eternity on preview TP was awesome… just need the real thing now

Posted by: Mr Quinn.9815

Mr Quinn.9815

and …

Four other objects that will be added to the game as the story unfolds.

so, that’ll be March, April, May & June sorted then, no?

This “living story” is a bit slow, and boring, innit.

Sorry, but I’m trying my best to see the point of all this.

this notice was brought to you by a Misguided Misfit

Posted by: Argistrin.3597

Argistrin.3597

I’m going to give some feedback to ArenaNet here. And I really don’t want to be negative, but somethings will be said. First off, being told to go to home city, then to LA, then to home city, then back to LA… yeah, I thought circular logic was only for people suffering from cognitive dissonance these days, but apparently not. Second, the events, although a nice improvement and with little wait between them are two few in number. You may want to add more to the zones if you want people to go back around through them and see stuff they might have skipped. Thirdly, the lost and found achievement… after five hours of combing wayfairer foothills, then being reduced to having to youtube the answers, and even them not working = waist of my time. I don’t like wasting my time, i could have spent my time on your game, literally doing anything else and it would have been more constructive, in fact, I could have logged off and watched paint dry and I would have done something more meaningful. If you want a scavenger hunt achievement people can’t just “look up” the answer to, here’s a few tips to keep you from failing to produce enjoyable content in the future: Start with bread crumbs, insert a random critical thinking element (20 or so possibilities for what that element is, is a good start if you hate youtubers), toss out a single clue with no bread crumbs, add a maguffen, new critical thinking challenge with a different set of elements from the first, bread crumbs and your done. People will have enjoyed the challenge, and the story-like feel to it. AND it wont be another “hey there’s an item somewhere in this zone… maybe…possibly not… we might patch tomorrow and remove it. we don’t know yet.” All of the “NEW” guild stuff / loot / class fixes are cool and all… but some of us actually were more excited about the whole living story, and the possibility of gw2 becoming somewhat like a persistent world with an ever changing story and events. But its clear, the living story aspect as it is right now, is just frustrating and boring busy work. From a objective perspective It seems like you’ve put that aspect on hold so as to continue slipping in a form of gear progression so that you can maintain your ex-wow player base (who love that pointless and endless treadmill of busy work). Just speculating here, since what I experienced so far was so lazy, no, slothful, that there is no way people in development had their attention focused on this. If your goal is bug fixes this month, good, fine fix them. If your goal this month is content, great put it out, make it worthy of your name. If your goal is adding loot to the never ending treadmill, fine, do it if that’s what it takes. But please have some consistency in quality. If you can only handle one item at a time, then do so. stop juggling and throwing out content that isn’t finished, or even well thought out. To the ArenaNet team, you’re better then this.

Posted by: Braindrops.6428

Braindrops.6428

I find there are more interesting events already in the game compared the the poor ones i’ve seen coming for this living (?) story. Not impressed. I don’t feel the danger for me or the refugeees. U can approach the events with your eyes closed and still come out without a scratch. The hardest part is tagging the mobs before they are slaughtered by the other players.

Posted by: Tipsy.5802

Tipsy.5802

I like the idea behind the live stories but the stage the current live story is in now isnt very enticing(although I love the artwork)
I’m not gonna voice my opinion on the whole living story just yet but I do hope in the next stage more exciting things will be unraveled.
Its all nice if we can repair some boards,loot some dead refugees along the way and heal the wounded
but there needs to be more action->reaction
Not knowing what the next stage will be,the current live story needs to be seen on a larger scale with more upheaval,panic and chaos
add exciting rewards like perhaps a refugee backpack,some new foods,..

Now its just like :“ok I helped some wounded refugees,took some badges of dead ones and fixed some boards along the way,noticed these few new events which is cool…”
But what do I gain except for the titletrack?was this it?did I miss something?Am I in the right place for this live story?(well the herald said it was on this map and yes i see a few signs)
signs of an event to come <-> the live event
Ofcours I do hope this all is just the calm before the storm..
But in the future try to make clear what a player should have done and should have seen before the next stage unfolds.(at least I have the feeling i’m missing out on something)
What are the goals of each stage?should every stage take as long as the other?Are there any concequences if a stage doesnt get enough attention of players?
Live events are the answere to bring wvw and pve closer together perhaps

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Link-PvE-and-WvW-more-closely-together

since this is like an event over a long time,dare to create live events with different outcomes based on how players participated on that server.
If they do well reward them with reinforcements in wvw or something(well you can read through the other topic I linked if you want)
To be short,these live stories need certain impact and consequences,a deeper root within Tyria and perhaps an impact on different areas of the game.Giving new reasons to be in a starting area as high lvl character and fight for your server how you want.
If there is anything in an mmo that could let leave a mark(longer,not permanent mark .instead of everything respawning every x mins/hours) on the gameworld it are these live stories..
I only hope you’ll take this in the right direction

(edited by Tipsy.5802)

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

Sorry for being rude, the main point here is I would like to know WHEN the ‘further phases of the event unlock’.

Agreed. This chapter has essentially made the previous one redundant, since we are sent along the same path and can still earn the previous rewards. Now we are hearing that this chapter isn’t actually done yet and we have to go back another day to finish it. That’s going to be three times at least that we are basically retreading the same territory. If this is going to be the pattern please say so, I prefer to come back to the living story when it’s fully done. And if that pattern is going to change, please make sure to communicate that as well and let us know when we need to finish things up.

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

I like how Living Story is being played out – it’s like playing a game based on every epic disaster/zombies movies, except the events are carried out in somewhat real time instead of fast forwarding here & there.
I like how the initial moment carried out – refugees coming in, without any real clue what’s going on, slow & easy, so the rest of Tyria just nod it off as something trivial & live life as usual. Then things start to get interesting when small advance forces of invaders start showing up, & finally the main force shows up, catching most folks off-guard because no one expect the refugee/invader issue can be really serious. I think this is where ‘defender’ role will come in. Ain’t we all love to be heroes (or villian. I’d like to play one "p)?
Meanwhile I still take some time to converse with NPCs & storing collectibles, secretly hoping there is some secret achievement to get (i.e. ‘Speedy Reader’ of Ebonhawke)

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

Posted by: MooCube.1450

MooCube.1450

I agree with loneknight. I like the slow burn it’s taking on. I don’t feel rushed, and I feel like it’s something slowly revealing itself over time. It allows people to discover it at their own pace as part of their normal travels in Tyria, not something they have to quickly rush out and “do”. So well done, I really like it. it gives us time to really wonder what is happening up north

Elwick Saberlin: Tarnished Coast
http://seekersofmaguuma.enjin.com/

Posted by: dizziedez.2864

dizziedez.2864

while everyone is saying they don’t wish to complain that is just what you all are doing, why must everything be done right now, it is not like they do not tell us days before a big installment in coming out so you can plan. If you haven’t been paying attention they are trying to get you to do a little of everything that the game has to offer. Besides if you want a game where they come out with a patch you beat it then go to the next thing then go play one of the millions of other MMO’s out there this was meant to be different so let it be and enjoy everything else going on while you wait, my goodness no one has patients anymore!

Mia Lunarfang.5826

I said I didn’t want to be rude, but I never mentioned not wanting to complain, and given everything that’s occurred, or rather, whats NOT occurred; I do. Simply, it is unprofessional to release half baked product, if they are not ready yet, they should wait. A few of you have claimed that the story is “naturally developing,” but this is not the case. You can talk to the heralds and the refugees but they give you little to nothing, it can hardly be called story telling, and then complete the boring and repetitive event in 15-30 minutes, which is unprecedentedly fast, and then nothing. For a week now there has been absolutely nothing, people slowly trickling in disappear as soon as they arrive, the camp is not developing and growing every day, the refugees have nothing new to say, the number is stuck at an eternal 7, there is zero story development. This is not ‘slow paced’ its dead, in real life a hundred things would have happened by now, and stories are supposed to reflect life.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I realize it is still early in this ‘living story’ plot, but it has been incredibly dull.

First part I had to walk around collecting mementos and fixing road signs? Not very epic in the least.

Second part I had to wander aimlessly around a map looking for two buried objects? Again, not very epic. Oh.. I also have to kill some spawns from a portal?

I am not seeing the epicness or the uniqueness to this story line as of yet. The ‘events’ thus far have been boring and my interest in this story line is really non existent.

loneknight.8425

The real fun is figuring out the clues dropped during conversing with NPCs & taking note of the changes in landscape along refugees’ path. I can somewhat figure what next installments are about, especially the 2 NPC lead characters which we are supposed to assist, whose races coincides with the current 2 unlocked buried objects. The background stories of these 2 objects seem to imply that we may finally get to play with some decent sized enemy force, unlike the current invaders instances which are solo-able.
Can’t wait to figure out the clues from next 4 buried objects.

Posted by: Thraxas.6354

Thraxas.6354

loneknight

“The real fun is figuring out the clues dropped during conversing with NPCs & taking note of the changes in landscape along refugees’ path. "

Wow you read all that? Good on you if thats what you enjoy, for me I’m not sure theres enough time in the day to do that, I prefer to try to filter the very few bits of text that are important in the game concentrating on killing stuff and playing then grab a book if I want to read.

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

I haven’t even started my living story yet, I plan to this weekend. Hope that doesn’t impact anything, I just had 0 time to attribute to it.

I look forward to it, no matter what. It’s something new, and will offer a change of pace from wvw. I have 0 expectations set, so even if it’s dull I am still going to enjoy it, because of new content (no matter size). I find it odd that (as a wvw player) after so many months with little wvw centric updates (which I know are coming, and some have come), that there’s any reason to be upset by a living story achievement offer. It’s one of many varieties of pve updates that have come through since release. Even if it’s not your cup of tea, it’s still ‘something’ you can chose to do to re-res that personal story which left off so long ago.

Reading sometimes is a good thing, so I look forward to taking the same approach loneknight has.

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

loneknight.8425

for me I’m not sure theres enough time in the day to do that

Oh, conversing with NPC is just 1-2 mins each time, & they are along the way while doing quick dailies, or in LA while taking short breaks in between fractals/WvW. Some of their dialogues help to make sense of the some changes/additions in Wayfarer’s/Dessa’s maps, especially the huge dredge-like fortresss/factory at the Wayfarer’s gateway to Dessa.

Mia Lunarfang.5826

Oh, conversing with NPC is just 1-2 mins each time, & they are along the way while doing quick dailies, or in LA while taking short breaks in between fractals/WvW. Some of their dialogues help to make sense of the some changes/additions in Wayfarer’s/Dessa’s maps, especially the huge dredge-like fortresss/factory at the Wayfarer’s gateway to Dessa.

While I like a good mystery, picking up clues here and there, their dialogue hasn’t changed since they’ve been implemented over a week ago, thus we haven’t learned anything new. So far they’ve revealed two things, a vast attack is eminent, and lost shores will come back into use for future living story development. I admit at first the prospect of these two changes greatly excited me, but that’s long worn off in the wait. Speaking of which, those who spoke of this ‘Living’ Story as flowing at a natural pace, does ‘wait’ really equal ‘eminent’? And where’s the other four characters we were promised for this month? I want to hear their clues, complete their achievements, see the refugee camp develop before my eyes as I was promised. A ‘Living’ Story, implies that the story is flowing and moving like ‘Life’, but really the zero development, is closer in all aspects to ‘Death’, the Dead Story it should be.

Posted by: snappy.1248

snappy.1248

I agree with loneknight. I like the slow burn it’s taking on. I don’t feel rushed, and I feel like it’s something slowly revealing itself over time. It allows people to discover it at their own pace as part of their normal travels in Tyria, not something they have to quickly rush out and “do”. So well done, I really like it. it gives us time to really wonder what is happening up north

I agree with this. I prefer this slow approach. I don’t want it be rushed. If it happens too quickly, it feels like we are forced to do it asap or we are going to miss it. Also there’s this mystery over what’s happening. I would understand people wanting this to be released quicker if it was a pay to play MMO but you are not losing any money while waiting for the next update in the living story.

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

Refugee Malia is adorable.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

When are the next 2 lost items going to added?
Have done everything and 100% in the other parts of the living story, but the items achievement tells me to find two more—but they aren’t in the game yet.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I like how Living Story is being played out – it’s like playing a game based on every epic disaster/zombies movies, except the events are carried out in somewhat real time instead of fast forwarding here & there.
I like how the initial moment carried out – refugees coming in, without any real clue what’s going on, slow & easy, so the rest of Tyria just nod it off as something trivial & live life as usual. Then things start to get interesting when small advance forces of invaders start showing up, & finally the main force shows up, catching most folks off-guard because no one expect the refugee/invader issue can be really serious. I think this is where ‘defender’ role will come in. Ain’t we all love to be heroes (or villian. I’d like to play one "p)?
Meanwhile I still take some time to converse with NPCs & storing collectibles, secretly hoping there is some secret achievement to get (i.e. ‘Speedy Reader’ of Ebonhawke)

Playing out in real time… eermmm really???
Cos I am sure I have been walking the same places over and over fiorst to fix boards, then gather momentos. heal wounded then find a few objects.. all over the space of what 2 months… not what i would call real time tbh
I have to say I find it a little dissapointing since its inception … the time sinks are far too long apart and the diversity in the story is simply unwhelming.
Add to that the story is stuck in several spawn areas on the same two maps, and considering they have been working on this for month and months they say… all I can see they have done thus far is add a couple of NPC’s with message boards, a few camp fires along a pre designed previously designed path and some object/event spawns… which considering its supposed to be a kind of scavenger hunt doesn’t really unfold to be much of one, when all the events spawn in the same locations and the items split into time sin k drops spawn in the same locations across the 2 maps… as soon as one person finds it everyone finds it.. that’s not random!

So for me this is the least engaging addition to the game and would much rather they focus on fixing the considerable amount of other issues first then think of new ways to draw players into time sinks that actually are immersive.

Time is the killer of all things as they say and this story has too longer time inbetween updates… All of these first 3 parts can be completed in 30mins with no effort or immersion leaving players with “well that was that” kinda feelings imo

Mia Lunarfang.5826

I agree with this. I prefer this slow approach. I don’t want it be rushed. If it happens too quickly, it feels like we are forced to do it asap or we are going to miss it. Also there’s this mystery over what’s happening. I would understand people wanting this to be released quicker if it was a pay to play MMO but you are not losing any money while waiting for the next update in the living story.

Whats wrong with forcing us to do it right away or miss it? The Lost Shores chain of events happened only once, and if you weren’t there, you were out of luck. I hadn’t even started playing yet, so ill never be able to experience it or obtain the rewards. Yet here these one time events are dragging on forever to make sure everyone and their mother gets to participate, to be honest, I feel cheated. Its unfair, that only some people got the chance to play Lost Shores, but they’ll slow down development and weaken the story just to allow everyone to play this living story, which is also supposed to be the same type of event. There’s nothing wrong with holding this event for no more than a day, a week tops, if people really want to play it, they’ll find the time. But that’s not even an issue here.

You stated that a faster approach would make it feel rushed, like you would have to complete it quickly or lose out, but even when they began the second stage, and then the second phase of the second stage even, you could still play and earn stage 1, so its not like giving us all the content for stage 2 at the beginning of the stage (rather than dispersing it in slug-pace phases) would cut down on the time allotted for us to complete it, they could still give us a month before introducing the next stage, or even allow us to continue doing previous stages as they are currently. Releasing two more items to find every two weeks or so, is just ridiculous, you can complete it in 5-10 minutes, then what? A little more speed here wont hurt anyone.

(edited by Mia Lunarfang.5826)

loneknight.8425

Time is the killer of all things as they say and this story has too longer time inbetween updates… All of these first 3 parts can be completed in 30mins with no effort or immersion leaving players with “well that was that” kinda feelings imo

The point to enjoy a story is not about how fast you can read from page 1 to last page, but how well you can relate yourself to it. I believe that’s why it is called ‘Living Story’, because we are meant to experience it first hand, instead of receiving mail on day 2 saying “now imagine 2 months have passed & you feel bored” while you are still pretty hyped up from the event launch on the day before, because emotion is not something you can just conjure up from reading a few words.

Yes, I agree now it can be underwhelming, confusing & feeling of lost, therefore we can better appreciate the two new npc characters in next installment, who shall give us a new sense of purpose in the story, and hopefully the plot twist/climax is so overwhelmingly challenging that while we go “WTF!!! It was so boring & dull and now Anet throws us something that we are totally not prepared for??!”. By then we can feel the full impact of the story, & can better accept the role of npc characters as heroes & leaders (unlike Treherne). Hopefully when we look back & realise the scavenger hunt items have dropped hints of things to come (Southsun, we are coming back!), we can laugh at ourselves & enjoy recalling the whole experience