New Mystic Forge Recipe!

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

One of our special Wintersday reindeer agents… ok, ok, Josh, one of our designers… let us know that there’s a fun new recipe in the Mystic Forge. In the past the Mystic Forge has produced some keenly-popular items, including the Endless Toymaker and Endless Gift Dolyak tonics. Now, you might be aware that a few of the items that were used in the old recipe no longer are available. So this year, in order to allow a few of these rare tonics to make it into the hands of lucky Wintersday celebrants, you will be able to combine mid-tier snowflakes (delicate, glittering, unique, and pristine) in a recipe that, while it usually will produce a gift box, may produce one of those valuable tonics, instead!

Best of luck, and Happy Wintersday!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

o.O

omg
…i found that recipe, noticed it wasnt on the wiki, got 5 giant giftboxes from it, and thought to myself… nope never again

(i was looking for the recipes that i now know promote the new runes and sigils, which btw also dont seem to be worth anything…)

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Santa “RNG” Claus will make many people angry this christmas.

He is a very evil entity in GW2.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

while it usually will produce a gift box, may produce one of those valuable tonics, instead!

I wonder which part of this 15 page thread about RNG and this 13 page thread about Halloween mini, or the multiple threads about Black Lion Chests, Mystic Forge and Tequatl weapons made the designers think that players love RNG.

20 level 80s and counting.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Well… c’mon don’t be sad, don’t be sad, don’t… …. …

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: FrostyBou.5491

FrostyBou.5491

Could you get Josh to add a recipe for the new exotic aquabreather since he’s adding forge recipies?

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Could you get Josh to add a recipe for the new exotic aquabreather since he’s adding forge recipies?

He just did!

10 each t2-5 snowflakes -> 5 giant wintersday gifts!
I opened 7500 giant gifts and got 1 aquabreather.
So all you need to do is to buy 60 stacks of each t2-5 snowflake and start forging/open gifts!

Awesome, isnt it.

Just kidding.
One forge attempt costs 50 silver atm if you buy the flakes on buy order, while 5 gifts cost 30 silver.

I might do a couple of hundred forges to check out the droprates on the toymaker and dolyak tonic and to see, if the toy specific endless tonics also drop.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

(edited by Wanze.8410)

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

I don’t want to be a buzzkill but…can we haz things that don’t put such weight on grinding/farming?

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Wanze.8410

I don’t want to be a buzzkill but…can we haz things that don’t put such weight on grinding/farming?

I dont follow, whats the neccesary grind here?

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Yoroiookami.3485

I meant Wintersday in general.
“Do the same activity x amount of times to get y amount of currency to purchase this reward that has been here for 2 years.”
In this case it’s farming Snowflakes or gold, depending on what you prefer.

I’m not saying that doing something to gain something is bad, but I’m pretty sure that there are better ways of working towards a goal than this. It basically becomes a “who can farm the most snowflakes” competition, with better rewards for people who log in sooner and spend more time grinding. I remember keeping most of my snowflakes for the entire year just to sell it with profit. Not sure if it’s a valid complaint. I just don’t find it that enjoyable.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Wanze.8410

“Do the same activity x amount of times to get y amount of currency to purchase this reward that has been here for 2 years.”

I’m not saying that doing something to gain something is bad, but I’m pretty sure that there are better ways of working towards a goal than this. It basically becomes a “who can farm the most snowflakes” competition, with better rewards for people who log in sooner and spend more time grinding. I remember keeping most of my snowflakes for the entire year just to sell it with profit. Not sure if it’s a valid complaint. I just don’t find it that enjoyable.

Well, if thats how you see it, I feel sorry for you.

I dont understand why people already complain about some kind of grind when the patch isnt even live for 24 hours and is still running for 4 weeks.

Can you tell me exactly which rewards you would like to receive that seem to be out of reach?
Of course it always comes down to how much time someone spends in game but im pretty sure that you can finish half of all achievements within 2 weeks, if you only do your wintersday dailies 10 times. After 2 weeks, you will know which activity of wintersday you enjoyed, how much they reward you and what its worth for you to complete the rest of the achievements or go for other rewards, like gold or achievement points.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: elinos.7493

elinos.7493

Thanks, agent Josh. Time to test my luck.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

Attachments:

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Yoroiookami.3485

Well, if thats how you see it, I feel sorry for you.

I dont understand why people already complain about some kind of grind when the patch isnt even live for 24 hours and is still running for 4 weeks.

Can you tell me exactly which rewards you would like to receive that seem to be out of reach?
Of course it always comes down to how much time someone spends in game but im pretty sure that you can finish half of all achievements within 2 weeks, if you only do your wintersday dailies 10 times. After 2 weeks, you will know which activity of wintersday you enjoyed, how much they reward you and what its worth for you to complete the rest of the achievements or go for other rewards, like gold or achievement points.

I’m not saying it’s out of reach. I just find it to be extremely tedious and boring. I feel especially bad for people who want to do the christmas achievements and have to do each of the activities 3x as much as last year.
In other words, it’s possible to do, but it only rewards people who are willing to suffer through those activities.

The only fun thing for me this year is the jumping puzzle. And that’s probably because it’s available once a year and is fairly challenging.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Santa “RNG” Claus will make many people angry this christmas.

He is a very evil entity in GW2.

RNGdeer! :p

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I do find this annoying because in prior years you could choose which endless tonic you were trying for (for me, it’s plush gryphon because you can do jumping puzzles). Now, not only is it a crapshoot to see if you get a tonic, but there’s another roll to find out which tonic you get.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

FrostyBou.5491

He just did!

So all you need to do is to buy 60 stacks of each t2-5 snowflake and start forging/open gifts!

Awesome, isnt it.

Just kidding.
One forge attempt costs 50 silver atm if you buy the flakes on buy order, while 5 gifts cost 30 silver.

I might do a couple of hundred forges to check out the droprates on the toymaker and dolyak tonic and to see, if the toy specific endless tonics also drop.

So basically the aquabreather has a droprate similar to mini gwyn at halloween? I’m off this week, I was hoping that there was something to work towards with this holiday event, but absolutely everything reward wise is hidden behind incredibly low RNG droprates… sigh

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Wanze.8410

He just did!

Awesome, isnt it.

Just kidding.

So basically the aquabreather has a droprate similar to mini gwyn at halloween? I’m off this week, I was hoping that there was something to work towards with this holiday event, but absolutely everything reward wise is hidden behind incredibly low RNG droprates… sigh

As far as i know, gwyn was 1/200k or something like that, i got an aquabreather with 7500 bags, while actually making lots of profit doing so. The breather was just a bonus.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Wanze.8410

Made 50 forges, got 1 gift dolyak and one toymaker tonic.
Not much glittering snowflakes around atm, so might have to wait a bit until the next badge.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: LiebnirGWAccount.5698

LiebnirGWAccount.5698

So the recipe is 10 x t2 through t5 Snowflakes (40 snowflakes each pop?) for 5 gifts and the chance at something else?

Tarnished Coast – [LGBT]
Trixxie Virtuoso – Mesmer
http://trixxietheasura.tumblr.com/

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Megis.9264

Megis.9264

The last time they added a special reward through RNG, I spent hundreds of thousands of clicks trying to get a mini.

Thanks, but no thanks, Anet.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Not much glittering snowflakes around atm, so might have to wait a bit until the next badge.

Wow, congrats!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

while it usually will produce a gift box, may produce one of those valuable tonics, instead!

I wonder which part of this 15 page thread about RNG and this 13 page thread about Halloween mini, or the multiple threads about Black Lion Chests, Mystic Forge and Tequatl weapons made the designers think that players love RNG.

Only John Smith actually reads those threads. It makes me wonder how much input he has on design choices. Gaile just announced this as being a “good thing”.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

They get too much money from these RNG schemes. You really think they are going to change anything? LOL!

Gamblers fund this game more than anything else or this would have all died back in 2012 when the first RNG chest uproar happened.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Wanze.8410

Wow, congrats!

Next 50 forges, only gifts.
I guess i was lucky.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

FrostyBou.5491

Yeah from the Wow! from Gaile I expect you got insanely lucky…

Which brings us again to the insane RNG for the average person. You have the cash to do things like that, or open 7.5K gifts. the average person might only be able to open 1K by the end of the event. what is there for them to work towards?

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

the average person might only be able to open 1K by the end of the event. what is there for them to work towards?

I opened over a stack of giant gifts in a couple hours yesterday. I wasnt even trying either, PLUS that was dealing with funky and bugged toypocalypse maps.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I bought 250 of each tier and give the roulette a try.

21 gold spent, got back 125 gift which sell for 7 gold. Net loss 14 gold.

Good luck everyone.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

is this only for 2 tonics “Endless Toymaker and Endless Gift Dolyak”?
or is there any hidden thing? (like the endless doll tonic, etc. for the new collection)

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Klonex.4562

Klonex.4562

I logged in just to quote this.

i logged in to quote you, quoting that guy n_n

~Krystal <3 Angela ~
~ I taught cows how to Moo! ~

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

For what it’s worth, this is how you announce a new forge recipe.

No RNG either.

(edited by thehipone.6812)

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

FrostyBou.5491

For what it’s worth, this is how you announce a new forge recipe.

No RNG either.

Yes there’s RNG. You mostly get gift boxes, you might if you are incredibly lucky get an endless tonic.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Wanze.8410

is this only for 2 tonics “Endless Toymaker and Endless Gift Dolyak”?
or is there any hidden thing? (like the endless doll tonic, etc. for the new collection)

I only ever got those 2.
The gifts also drop an account bound consumable that lets you choose which one of the 5 endless toy tonics you want.

That are the 5 account bound tonics, which are needed for the collection, which awards the endless christmas box tonic.
So those 5 can be acquired via crafting (artificer400 recipe for 100 bloodstone dust, 20 elonian wine and 100 t6 snowflakes, ~12g), but the kicker are the recipes (rare drop from gifts) which go for 10-30g atm. You need to farm less than 20 t6 snowflakes per day, the dust should be no problem either. The only gold costs are 25g for the elonian wine and that is less than 1g per day. Right now, i wouldnt bother too much about the high prices of the recipes, they will fall down to 50s-2g at least in 2 weeks or so.
If you are acquiring your mats at a slow pace of 20 flakes and 1g per day, you dont have to bother about the recipes anyways for now and can wait either for a lucky drop or buy them once their price goes down. Crafting those tonics is propably one of the main sinks for t6 flakes atm.
I am pretty sure, that everybody will be able to complete this collection if they complete their wintersdays dailies at a casual pace and be rewarded with 6 endless tonics along the way.

Giant gifts also have a very rare chance to drop a choice of endless toy tonics and a rare chance of dropping the toymakers tonic, which is cheap on the tp anyways.

Then there are 2 forge recipes, i think.
One is this one and propably is the biggest sink for t2-5 flakes atm. Output is either 5 giant gifts, a endless gift dolyak tonic and the endless toymakers tonic.
Possibly it also puts out the chest to select one of the toy tonics or a random one of them.

The other forge recipe are 4 different of the 5 endless toy tonics and the output is either the 5th tonic that you didnt use, the gift dolyak tonic or the toymakers tonic.

I didnt do much of the events yet, so im not sure if some of those also reward endless tonics in any form as well. I wouldnt be surprised.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Gaile just announced this as being a “good thing”.

Yes, I believe it is a good thing. Here’s why:

• The items needed to make the recipe from prior years no longer are fully available. This means that that players could have been locked out of highly-sought-after items (unless someone happened to retain items from previous years).
  • With the new recipe, those who choose to do so may try for the popular tonics and other rewards. As you can see in this thread, both tonics are confirmed as available and forge-able.
  • As with everything, this is a voluntary activity. Nothing requires a player to do this. No one “needs” one of these tonics to play. But if they want one, they now have a means to get it.

In the end, this recipe is voluntary. The item is desirable but not essential. Players may decide for themselves if going for a particular item is right for them. In the end, I believe that it really is that simple.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

To be honest, I’d have made the recipe use those one-use tonics/the new runes/sigils that are quickly piling up by the thousands instead of Snowflakes. I can see them becoming another huge glut of unwanted goods that just sits on the TP forever. RNG is fine when it’s used as a sink to get an excess of goods out of the economy, but it needs to be targeted to the right area.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Yes, I believe it is a good thing.

No one said that having a tonic recipe in the game isn’t a “good thing”. Definitely obtainable things are good things.

But as history shows, even with thousands of snowflakes flushed several precursors worth of gifts opened, you can still find yourself on the statistically justified zero-result streak which leads to severe dissatisfaction, which is not something people look for in games. That’s why RNG-obtainable things (with the current pure-RNG system) are not a good thing.

20 level 80s and counting.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

• As with everything, this is a voluntary activity. Nothing requires a player to do this. No one “needs” one of these tonics to play. But if they want one, they now have a means to get it.

You know what? No one “needs” to play this game. People do so for fun. And they just might want one of the tonics for fun. But crazy RNG really isn’t fun for the majority of people.

I do know of one entity that needs something though. ANet needs customers. But hey, go ahead and tell them how they don’t need anything in the game, because that will help.

I do realise this is a bit of a pointed and strong post, but I really found your response and reasoning to be pretty unhelpful and ignoring the ever-present problems with RNG and awards in this game. :/

Nothing is about need considering we don’t even need to play this game. It’s all about fun.

(edited by Lothirieth.3408)

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Yes, I believe it is a good thing. Here’s why:

• The items needed to make the recipe from prior years no longer are fully available. This means that that players could have been locked out of highly-sought-after items (unless someone happened to retain items from previous years).
  • With the new recipe, those who choose to do so may try for the popular tonics and other rewards. As you can see in this thread, both tonics are confirmed as available and forge-able.

In the end, this recipe is voluntary. The item is desirable but not essential. Players may decide for themselves if going for a particular item is right for them. In the end, I believe that it really is that simple.

This is redundant. It tickles me every time voluntary is used to fortify a discussion about what’s available in a video game, when everything about gaming is voluntary. It actually bothers me that you guys keep adding stuff like this when it’s been pretty clear that people have a problem with it. I really do wonder if very much of the decision makers read the forums ever.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You can say that about any grind – after all, it’s only a game, nothing here is really essential or necessary. This doesn’t make low chance RNG reward systems any better.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Wanze.8410

You know what? No one “needs” to play this game. People do so for fun. And they just might want one of the tonics for fun. But crazy RNG really isn’t fun for the majority of people.

I do know of one entity that needs something though. ANet needs customers. But hey, go ahead and tell them how they don’t need anything in the game, because that will help.

I do realise this is a bit of a pointed and strong post, but I really found your response and reasoning to be pretty unhelpful and ignoring the ever-present problems with RNG and awards in this game. :/

Nothing is about need considering we don’t even need to play this game. It’s all about fun.

Currently, you can get a stack of consumables from 6/7 wintersday transformations on the tp for less than 20 silver. If you plan on having fun with the transformation all year round, just buy a stack. It takes as much space as the permanent one and seems to be way less hassle to obtain. So there really isnt a functional need to get the 5 single endless toy tonics, just get a permanent toymaker tonic and a stack of gift dolyak and you got 6/7 transformations covered for a year or beyond with only 2 inventory slots.
As great as some people might find the chritmas box tonic from the collection achievement, I can hardly see anybody getting more than a couple of hours of fun out of it over the year. If its too much hassle to you to complete this achievement to have 5 hours of fun next year, you shouldnt do it. As you said, you seem to have better things to do in game than “grind” wintersday for the tonic, so I am confident that you will also find something else to occupy yourself with in the game next year for an additional 5 hours.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

The game is voluntary as well, as is buying gems. The devs would do well to remember this when they focus on RNG-based rewards which are ultimately frustrating and not fun for players.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

C’mon, guys. Ms. Gray is just relaying the information she’s given in the most positive light she can. That’s her job. Let’s not be nasty to her.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Gaile…. why does Anet hate us casual players?

sniffle

Why?!

Still, thank you for telling us. I shall go stand in front of the forge and cry now (as soon as my client finishes updating again).

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: kingpuza.4835

kingpuza.4835

I think this is highlights the frustration many have with RNG. Many players WANT these things, and appreciate having a way to TRY to get it, but it is by no means guaranteed. They WANT an item and spend a lot of time trying to get it only to come up empty.

Unfortunately RNG seems to be the only way to create scarcity… In an effort to make some items special and valuable, items have to be placed behind either a time gate, a RNG gate or both. If they are not, then EVERYONE would get one.

But in the end, there will be some people who will try their hardest to get a treasured transformation potion, and won’t be able to, because they happened to have bad luck. (Others will get multiple items.) This leads to some VERY disappointed players, but does suit the purpose of the game designers to limit the number of items. But I can’t help think that there must be some way to obtain both outcomes so that those who don’t want an item don’t have to pursue it, but those who do have a way that they CAN obtain it, not just obtaining a CHANCE to get it.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

C’mon, guys. Ms. Gray is just relaying the information she’s given in the most positive light she can. That’s her job. Let’s not be nasty to her.

I would have been written up with that statement when I used to work in the retail industry. I can just picture it now working at the deli, “why aren’t these wings boneless?” “Well… you don’t have to buy them.”

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

Which is why my comment was directed at the devs, not her.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Doll Mistress.9267

Doll Mistress.9267

is this only for 2 tonics "Endless Toymaker and Endless Gift Dolyak"?

The endless doll tonic recipe is for sale in the BLTP. (Last I checked)

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Vael Victus.2654

Vael Victus.2654

Super pro game dev tactics: make RNG solution. Additionally, offer it twice as expensive from some vendor. (guaranteed) Few should complain.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I’m not exactly you are supposed to get from the mystic forge.

But all the item is buyable from the trading post isn’kitten So you don’t really need to partake in the RNG.

New Mystic Forge Recipe!

Posted by: Rongy.2569

Rongy.2569

In addition to the new mystic forge recipe, anyone figure out the other new one that seems to promote the sigil/rune to the next tier?

So far for the Major Sigil/Rune I have found:
Mystic Coins
Major Sigil/Rune
Pristine Snowflake

I have no idea what the last piece is, has anyone figured this out?

Stalker Ryc
Eternal Phalanx [EPX] | Co-Leader