New Playable Races

New Playable Races

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Emoall.7514

Emoall.7514

Guild Wars 2 achieved something that any other MMOs couldn’t and that is engaging and participating in the World. The zones that they create are not only for leveling and than forgotten. They bring you back to those zones with something to do in them and participate. For example you can go defeat a World Bosses for good loot or you can follow your personal story and feel the presence of that zone in the world and it’s meaning. Throughout the zones you encounter many and different non-playable sentient races. Most of them (if not all) have their own intriguing story to tell and even capital cities aswell. So as great our MMO is so far we can see it become greater. Guild Wars needs more playable races because it will bring even more knowledge to the story of all races and even more participation in world events. So I will make a suggetion for a playable races for the upcoming expansions (hopefully) after Heart of Thorns and how would they fit in the main story plot.

The best I can think of are the dwarves. We know that most of the dwarves turned to stone after the battle with the great destroyer. A perfect story plot for them to be included in would be an expansion in which the end boss is Primordius. We would be shown a lot more of their lifestyle and their story. Here is how I think the story should take place. There would be a faction of dwarven survivors which did not turn to stone after the battle with the Great Destroyer, because they never participated in that battle. Survivors from all the corners of the Dwarven Kindom would come into it’s capital and try to rebuild their almost extinct race. The land in which the Dwarven Kingdom is located are lands of caves beneath the surface of Tyria. There they built their capital carved into the stone. I’m feeling like the dwarves as a race should be given cultural properties similar to the dwarves in the Middle Earth and the dwarves in WarCraft. Both of them as in many other stories in movies and games have scottish accent, they drink a lot of beer, they are amazing miners and blacksmiths and their cities look like Erebor in the Hobbit, Ironforge, Shadowforge and Grim Batol in WarCraft and Orzammar in Dragon Age (a city carved into the mountain). The difference here would be that their city would be beneath the mountain not in it. The dwarves have shut the gates of their capital to all the world and have not passed them since their gathering for the saving of their races. That is why no one have seen the dwarves from a long time. But something will happen which will make them join the races of tyria, and that will be the only way to save themselves. Primordius will awaken and sent an army to destroy the last dwarven kingdom. The army will be no other than the stone turned brothers and sisters which the Elder Dragon took control of. That would be his main purpose to make to stone all the races of Tyria so he could mind control them. The dwarves would see that they will be destroyed so they will open their gates and search for help in the surface as it would be the only way to survive. After seeing the dwarves huge amount of dredge would join the Elder Dragon willingly fearing their enslavement once more. As the other races the Dwarves would have huge capital and cultural armor and weapons. The weapons may include amazing axes and hammers as they are the dwarven main weapons. A feature may be added including two-handed axes and one-handed maces in the expansion. They may have a king. Regarding the females of the dwarves it is said that no one have seen a female or be able to differentiate it from the male. Let’s just say they have not seen a female, because wouldn’t want female dwarves with beards.
Another examples of good playable races will include the largos and hylek dealing with the deep sea dragon. The dredges may be included in the expansion with Primordius.
The Kodan may have to deal with Jormag. And we can discover faction of centaurs from Elonia which would not hate the humans as much as the ones in Kryta do. The possibilites are many and will prove worthy of completion.

New Playable Races

Posted by: Flop Sweat.3456

Flop Sweat.3456

NO MORE SHORT PEOPLE WITH BEARDS!

I AM SICK OF DWARVES… and elves.

Guild Wars 2 was quite refreshing.

Graey Mance-Iron Legion Engineer.
There when you need him.

New Playable Races

Posted by: KallaDragoone.9125

KallaDragoone.9125

Id love to see Tengu as playable! They have great backstory as well.

New Playable Races

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

I’m still a 100% Quaggan forever fan!

Honestly though, if A-net ever decides to add new races, it needs to be something appealing to the masses not a niche group. Look at the playerbases current race choice division; Human —→ everything else.

New Playable Races

Posted by: krzygum.4028

krzygum.4028

It was said many times that tengu are most probably the most likely candidate for new race. They were initially included in plans for vanilla GW2 but the idea was scrapped. My expectation is, that we will see Tengu once Primordus becomes active, we will get their city in Dominion of Winds and access to new personal story steps.

Of course I may be wrong but at this point nothing is sure.

New Playable Races

Posted by: KallaDragoone.9125

KallaDragoone.9125

I would say that tgat would be most likely. I also think that the Largos would be awesome as well!

New Playable Races

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

I still keep with my idea that currently each race has its own dragon to handle…. except the underwater dragon. If they keep the idea of the underwater dragon, we should get a corresponding race and I would guess Largos. I just hope they would get a better design than Sayeh al’Rajihd. The concept of their race is beautiful but she is ugly.

New Playable Races

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Skritt rule, others drool!

New Playable Races

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

tengu sure

but i want a skritt!!!!!!

growing up with asura inquest hunting you for experiments, you have to save your buddies from them. (lv 1-10)
and then destroyers emerge from the ground in your clan’s burrow. as you fight them(and rescue your buddies) , you gradually lose your home(lv 11-20)
so the orders of tyria offer you help in finding your clan a new home(as well as discovering the extent that the destroyers are spreading in your area), and during this you get offered a place in one of their ranks (lv 21-30)

the skritt even have their own starting place already in game! =D

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

New Playable Races

Posted by: Emoall.7514

Emoall.7514

Well as I see everyone have their own mind on the matter and that is perfectly fine. But as we know Arena-Net are listening to their fanbase’s feedback. So guys here and now is the moment to ask from them the race that you would prefer to play next.

New Playable Races

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Your logic is sound on the Dwarves, but if and when Primordus is introduced, then Anet will give us the Tengu. Their city is blocked on one side by destroyer infestation. I guess they could drop the birds with the introduction of Bubbles, so the opportunity for the Dwarves to make an appearance is there. But I wouldn’t bank on it.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

New Playable Races

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

Racial skill will be always bogus and weak … All race play the same … a Guardian Asura , human or Charr is still a Guardian …. By adding a race the only thing you will achieve is adding more clipping and bad visuals to the game.

Tengu ?? really Chiken head with feathers or a kitty head with fur ? Charr and Tengu are almost the same .. Tengu can’t fly just like the Charr … so i don’t get why everyone cries for a new race

New Playable Races

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Ooze 4ever

New Playable Races

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

I was under the impression that adding a new playable race does not add much to gameplay, hence it’s unlikely to happen.

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

New Playable Races

Silverkey.2078

It adds to the character appearance, and if you look well, that is the main form of progression the game offers. But it comes at a very high price which is you have to create the personal story and fit all animations and armors to the new body shape.
And I believe in the statistics, humans are still chosen by most, and the second main choice is Norn… which is just large-sized human. So it seems like it is not really worth the effort.

Yet the community asks for it, so at some point they may have to give it. I believe one more race is not too much to ask.

New Playable Races

Posted by: Eggshells.1748

Eggshells.1748

New Playable Races

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

According to the lore, all dwarves eventually underwent the rite of the Great Dwarf, so unless they were to write up some new lore to account for some who did not, I don’t see flesh and blood dwarves as a playable race, sadly.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dwarf

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

New Playable Races

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

It adds to the character appearance, and if you look well, that is the main form of progression the game offers. But it comes at a very high price which is you have to create the personal story and fit all animations and armors to the new body shape.
And I believe in the statistics, humans are still chosen by most, and the second main choice is Norn… which is just large-sized human. So it seems like it is not really worth the effort.

Yet the community asks for it, so at some point they may have to give it. I believe one more race is not too much to ask.

Yes, basically, a new playable race would be fluff since it won’t play significantly different to another race of the same profession. Time and budget spent developing a new playable race could be directed to, say creating a new profession or new set of elite specialization. See where I’m going at here?

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

New Playable Races

Posted by: pandorasbox.6340

pandorasbox.6340

Ah. You forget that Guild Wars 2 is a spiritual successor. Not a sequel. At anytime, devs could throw Guild Wars 1 lore out the window and say “Hey! We found a cure for the dwarves!” Or “All known dwarves underwent the right of the great dwarf. There was just some that did not that we did not know about!”

As far as I know, spiritual successors have been known to play fast and loose with known lore their game is based on, and quite often create their own lore. Even creating their own lore that contradicts the lore their game based on.

I wouldn’t expect it from a beloved game, but worse has happened with games that have cult followings. Even to the point fans doing a total boycott. You know passionate Star Wars fans are. Han Solo did not shoot first!

New Playable Races

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

Your logic is sound on the Dwarves, but if and when Primordus is introduced, then Anet will give us the Tengu. Their city is blocked on one side by destroyer infestation. I guess they could drop the birds with the introduction of Bubbles, so the opportunity for the Dwarves to make an appearance is there. But I wouldn’t bank on it.

The dwarven race is functionally extinct. Ogden is one of maybe a handful of dwarves left alive. All others either died in the fight, or hide in such obscurity they’re equivalent to dead. Anet’s made it clear dwarves are an emphatic no.

As for skritt, THAT is also an emphatic no. And that’s just for the simple reason of skritt gain intelligence via a hivemind complex as more of them gather in a single locale. Individuals scattered about are about as smart as a box of the rocks they collect. As larger and larger groups of skritt come together, the more intelligent they become, as shown by the existence of a skritt “king” in brisban.

New Playable Races

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Skritt if only for the random things they could say. Instead of ’sweet sweet loot’ your char would shout ’shines!!’

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.

New Playable Races

Posted by: Scolix.4879

Scolix.4879

Skritt because i like what other people have in their bags yes yes bags full of shiny stuff.

New Playable Races

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

Gaki master race.

New Playable Races

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Tengu or the Kodan.

But be careful with what you ask though. I am making a prediction based on the storyline told so far.

The Kodan are the minions of Jormag. Jormag send them out to trick the people of Silverpeaks that they are just refuges trying to escape Jormag’s influence. But this is in fact a lie. The Kodan’s are moles and are trying to get the people of Silverpeaks to let down their guard against them and then when Jormag is ready to strike, they all turned on the populations of the Silverpeaks.

Reason : If Mordy could made it’s Sylvari minions all over the Maguuma region, why can’t Jormag do the same with the Kodan? The differences is that the Sylvari’s that was suppose to go crazy around Rata Sum and Caledon Forrest got corrupted by Rolan and Ventari. While Jormag isn’t that stupid and just sent moles/spys out. Since Jormag did not corrupt the Norn’s outright and it actually try to persuade them to join his cause, really tells you that Jormag is smarter than Mordy and Zhaitan combined.

The Tengu seems like a race that was suppose to be playable from the beginning, but probably ANET ran out of time and resources to complete it. So, pity for that.

New Playable Races

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

Since most people play humans, they could try a race that looks close to human but with some subtle differences. I hate playing as humans in MMOs if there are other choices, but most of the other races look to alien to me. Even Nord (males) they bodies are just weird. they could just be more muscled, but they look kinda flabby and short legged to me.
I don’t know enough about GW lore to claim which race could or couldn’t appear but I think most people would enjoy a humanoid looking race.

New Playable Races

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Kodan or gtfo.

Though I actually hope they don’t, or they will have another riot about players wanting free char slots for them.

New Playable Races

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Largos whoop everyone else’s behinds hands down.

New Playable Races

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

I have no interest in playing a human in an mmo. I spend enough time trying and failing to do that IRL. Kodan or Quaggan would be excellent.

New Playable Races

Posted by: Fenom.9457

Fenom.9457

I think that playable races will sort of fill in the gap or professions in future expansions, since Revenant is basically confirmed to be the last profession (the only thing Anet hasn’t done is said it 100% plainly lol.) I think that for Primordus we will get Tengu, for Jormag Kodan, for Kralk I’m not sure, we don’t know what lives in the desert atm but maybe forgotten? For Bubbles Largos. Why I think this or that is a long explanation but those are who I expect for the dragon xpacs. Also it by the time of last dragon it would be: 9 races and 9 professions. Though whatever is after the dragons, those xpacs will likely have more races, I just thought 9 and 9 was neat.

Want to read about a nice mini expansion to make Mordremoth and Zhaitan better?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mini-Expansion-Vengeance/first#post6473305

New Playable Races

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Lets come up with some new races that aren’t already in the Guild Wars lore.

Tbh I’m tired of hearing all of the canon suggestions, simply because its like beating a dead horse.

Tengu, kodan, dwarves, largos, etc.

Think outside the box.

Personally, if we ever make it to the Crystal Desert….. I’d absolutely love to see a canine anubis-like race.

complete with the ability to wield scythes…. or spears (on land).

Attachments:

New Playable Races

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I thought weapon choice had more to do with class than race though,

New Playable Races

Posted by: BattleCat.2098

BattleCat.2098

I loved the rats in EverQuest 2, and would love to see something like that in GW2 too. Skritt would be very cool. Not sure how it would go with their intelligence level, but we could say they are from a more advanced race, or something. City skritt, perhaps. Or just… “it’s a game”. :p

New Playable Races

Posted by: Iras.7850

Iras.7850

Give us Koda as PR.
Bears-warriors with Bushido code. What else you can ask for ?

New Playable Races

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Yes!

Would be cool if skritt got some kind of bonus based on the number of other skritt around them, to go with the lore of them (more skritt = ‘smarter’ skritt)

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

New Playable Races

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

Stop coming from WoW and then saying that GW2 should be more like WoW. If you want to play a game like WoW, maybe you should play WoW.

That being said: Playable Tengu or riot!

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

New Playable Races

Posted by: Kyosji.8961

Kyosji.8961

Skritt Racial Ability – We Are One

-When grouped with other players using a Skritt Race, your Power, Precision, Toughness, and Vitality is increased.

New Playable Races

Silverkey.2078

While Kodan looks cool, I already saw somewhere someone pointing that character customization would be absolutely non-existing. All of them are just big white bears. Tengu could work thanks to the different colors in the feathers, different feather-hair styles etc… We don’t know much about Largos diversity so it could work.

New Playable Races

Posted by: Kyosji.8961

Kyosji.8961

….Freed Orrians……

New Playable Races

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

….Freed Orrians……

I have to say: please no. It’s way too cliche’. I was a little annoyed by the inclusion of undead as enemies in the first place, because it seems that undead are the bad guys in every fantasy series nowadays. And playable risen are way to reminiscent of the Forsaken from WoW.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

New Playable Races

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

Hmmm, dwarves.
I like the race, like the idea.
But, aside from the whole turned to stone thing, I am sorta wondering about the differences between the males and females.
From some different lore sources, the beards are the only way to tell them apart…

New Playable Races

Posted by: Peacock.6412

Peacock.6412

I’m always going to want Quaggan as fully playable race

Unashamedly Qoo Qoo for Quaggans!