New Races in the future?

New Races in the future?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

When, or if, willl there will be new races? The only ones i really enjoy are Human and Norn. I just couldn’t get into asura, sylvari, or charr. Ironically, my only 80 is a slyvari.

I would like to see Dwarves return from GW1 lore, but i think i read somewhere they are becoming extinct in lore, so i don’t know.

Which other races would everyone like to see?

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

ok races i wana see…..

i wana see the polarbears!!
i wana see a type of canine class since we have a feline class…..no not werewolves.
i wana see a dragon race, like a cause of the dragons’ reign.

and of course i would like to see new classes.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: AliceKaye.1903

AliceKaye.1903

I’d like to see Tengu’s or Skritt, but they’ve already stated that Skritt are off the table.

As a roleplayer, this greatly saddens me because I have such an awesome idea for a Skritt guild.

Arcanist Norri | Ceirynn | Darbii | Emlyn | Nyssi | Teltiu
Alice Kaye’s Twitter

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Tengu are pretty clearly poised to play a major role in future content, and are the only sentient race currently in the game who would translate easily into PCs without any unusual considerations. Second Place goes to the Kodan, who are hampered somewhat both by similarities to the Norn and by the lack of distinct appearance options. Third place goes to the Largos, who would be troublesome because they have to wear breathers on land, and because those big floaty manta wings would be kind of obnoxious a lot of the time. Honorable mention goes to the Centaurs, who were apparently in development as PCs early on, but are too much of a pain to animate in certain situations, and who would require major redesigns of all clothing below the waist and about half of all chest armor too, without even considering what would happen to the Foot slot for a race with hooves.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Slyder.9215

Slyder.9215

Yeah, the Tengu are a given by this point.

They already have a city, a unique look compared to the other races and involvement in the story. They are already there, they just chose to wall themselves off from the rest of Tyria so far (barring a few merchants and craftspeople here and there). From what I understand in the story, that probably won’t last long. The next Dragon/s that decides to wake up will probably stir them into action.

And yes, I would like to see the Largos as well.

Wrenchy Mcboomboom
Engineer

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

I really hope for the Hylek to become a playable race.
They are the least humanoid-like race I have seen in GWII, and I am getting pretty tired of the fact that all races in games have to be a re-skinned humans with a few different facial features, or a slightly different body.

I want something truly unique, and that is why I love the Hylek.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Blackers.7512

Blackers.7512

I think the Tengu have quite good potential for a future playable race.

Anything but Quaggan, Hylek and/or Skritt.

and don’t even take Dredge into consideration.

Desolation – Thief

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Ambrecombe.4398

Ambrecombe.4398

Like it was said above, I think Tengus are a pretty safe guess for the next available race in the game. Their capital city is next to the Caledon Forest (Sylvari starting area) and are the most sentient humanoid beeings that comme in my mind, so they make perfect sense and could easely be implented in the game without having to balance every leveling paths in game.

My second pick would be Kodans, while they do have a very different approach of life and war, they do have motivation to go after the dragons, especialy Jormag sinds their Voice got corrupted by his follower, the Harrier, during the story of Honor of the Waves. Only problem would be to define their starting area and capital city. They could maybe start at the same location as the Norns?

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Slaunyeh.9852

Slaunyeh.9852

Centaurs would top my wish-list. GW2 is, after all, the self-proclaimed “MMO Revolution.” It’s time to throw off the yoke of biped character model oppression!

Also Krait.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Everyone wants a tengu. -_- I personally would love to see more esoteric races such as the seers or the mursaats.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

New Races in the future?

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

if Tengu become playable i’m going to have to make a new mesmer…..noooo!

in all seriousness Tengu are in a very good position story and PC wise, both i imagine will come at once.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Quaggan coooooooooooooooOOOOOooooOOOOooooooo… At least thats what I would like

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Quaggan coooooooooooooooOOOOOooooOOOOooooooo… At least thats what I would like

NooooOOOoooo!!

I think Krait would be an awesome choice, but don’t see that happening.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

StooOOOOoooooOOpid Krait!!! StooOOOooopppid player Krait… O.K. Actually I totaly support Krait and Quaggan!

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Tengu and Kodan most definitely.

As much as I <3 Quaggan and Skritt I’d rather they stay NPC only. Don’t need some troll running around LA as a Quaggan/Skritt. >.> lol

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

They are the least humanoid-like race I have seen in GWII, and I am getting pretty tired of the fact that all races in games have to be a re-skinned humans with a few different facial features, or a slightly different body.

Unfortunately hylek not being playable is the reason they were able to make them so unique.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

New Races in the future?

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Honorable mention goes to the Centaurs, who were apparently in development as PCs early on, but are too much of a pain to animate in certain situations, and who would require major redesigns of all clothing below the waist and about half of all chest armor too, without even considering what would happen to the Foot slot for a race with hooves.

No, no, no, no, no!

Centaurs would top my wish-list. GW2 is, after all, the self-proclaimed “MMO Revolution.” It’s time to throw off the yoke of biped character model oppression!

Also Krait.

Nooooooooo!

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Unfortunately hylek not being playable is the reason they were able to make them so unique.

Don’t ever crush my dreams. EVER!

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Centaurs are a no go for me personally, we managed to get rid of big stupid wonky mounts in this game, let’s not add character models that replicate that.

I like the idea of Tengu personally, and it seems to fit the best logically as well.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Zaviel.1245

Zaviel.1245

As a big fan of aquatic races and underwater combat (yes we exist) I cross my fingers for Krait. They are primarily evil right now but only because they were pushed out of their home by the underwater Elder Dragon.

We will one day meet this dragon in the un-ending ocean, I hope the Krait left will be friendly and desperate enough to accept help defending their home, thus they become playable.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Will never understand people asking for Kodan as a playable race.

Sure, they look cool and all, but they just look like polar bears standing right up, and just some armour and weapons added, and you can’t see the difference between the women and men.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Dasair.4307

Dasair.4307

Pretty new player here, but I just saw the Tengu for the first time the other day, hearing a bit about their story, and immediately I was like ‘oh man, can I play one of those? That would be pretty sweet’.

I hope that they are allowed as something playable in the future, I know I’d have one.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

+1 for centaurs.

I have always wanted to be a dryad, or centaur or some sort of 4 legged race!
If I can’t have a pretty horse mount to ride around queensdale on, let me gallop around myself! xD

New Races in the future?

darkace.8925

+1 for centaurs.

I have always wanted to be a dryad, or centaur or some sort of 4 legged race!
If I can’t have a pretty horse mount to ride around queensdale on, let me gallop around myself! xD

As a compromise I’ll fashion for you a stick horse. Then you get to gallop around Queensdale to your heart’s content and I get to never have to see centaurs as a playable race.

New Races in the future?

Snow White.9680

As a compromise I’ll fashion for you a stick horse. Then you get to gallop around Queensdale to your heart’s content and I get to never have to see centaurs as a playable race.

C’mon don’t be like that!

You wont have to pay for waypoints anymore, just hop on my back!

I’m saving you money!!

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Honorable mention goes to the Centaurs, who were apparently in development as PCs early on, but are too much of a pain to animate in certain situations, and who would require major redesigns of all clothing below the waist and about half of all chest armor too, without even considering what would happen to the Foot slot for a race with hooves.

No, no, no, no, no!

Also Krait.

Nooooooooo!

I’m confused. I was listing reasons why the developers allegedly dropped their initial plans to add Centaur PCs, all of which are very valid and still stand. But that seems to make you upset? Then the next guy you quote asks for Centaur PCs and that… also makes you upset? Are you for or against them?

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

New Races in the future?

darkace.8925

C’mon don’t be like that!

You wont have to pay for waypoints anymore, just hop on my back!

I’m saving you money!!

It won’t work. Otherwise my intellectually-superior asura would long ago have ordered some bookah of a norn to carry him around in his/her backpack.

New Races in the future?

darkace.8925

I’m confused. I was listing reasons why the developers allegedly dropped their initial plans to add Centaur PCs, all of which are very valid and still stand. But that seems to make you upset? Then the next guy you quote asks for Centaur PCs and that… also makes you upset? Are you for or against them?

My overly-dramatic “no!s” were in response to the suggestion/desire for centaurs to be playable. Rather than tax the art department with making leg armor and footwear work for centaurs, I’d rather them spend their time giving all races new armor.

But there are other reasons I’m against them, too. Lore-wise, they don’t work. They, like the krait, exit purely to serve as antagonists. I know Zhed was playable in GW1, but this isn’t GW1. Centaurs now wear the proverbial black hat.

Additionally, I think it would be awkward to be a tall, quadrupedal character incapable of running any faster than a short, stunty asura. Then there are the animations and hit-boxes to consider. Swimming as a centaur would look awkward.

And since all races share the same-sized hitboxes and occupy the same amount of space, regardless of model size and shape, everyone’s hitbox and occupied space would have to be elongated to match that of the centaur. This creates all sorts of problems for combat, jumping puzzles, and clipping.

Speaking of jumping puzzles. How is something the size and shape of a centaur going to navigate a jumping puzzle like, say, Coddler’s Cove? Think of all the problems that come with whatever answer you can think of.

New Races in the future?

Snow White.9680

darkace you make some really good arguments against centaurs, but i still think anet could figure it out!

…or they could just give us mounts and i would be SO happy.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

darkace you make some really good arguments against centaurs, but i still think anet could figure it out!

…or they could just give us mounts and i would be SO happy.

I honestly wouldn’t mind mounts if they include an option to turn off ALL mounts. The mounties would be happy and the rest of us wouldn’t have to deal with 10 horses standing on a TP guy or heart merchant etc.

It would at least be more feasible than centaurs.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

New Races in the future?

Snow White.9680

no mounts in major cities! Oh, put stables outside.. .OMG when you stable your horse it can appear in the stable.. eeep!!! xD (like instanced personal story!!!)

New Races in the future?

Posted by: legion.7518

legion.7518

Ogres. I don’t even know wtf a Tengu is.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

they are avian humanoids,
they need some polish before being made playable of course but they have good potential, especially with the culture.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Kane Fire Blade.7482

Kane Fire Blade.7482

I would like to see Kodan Tengu and Hylek, I will say most of all the Hylek as they are large talking frogs whats not to like, And again just think of the interesting race skills they could use!

Am sure Tengu will be playable once the fight to get Primordus starts!

(edited by Kane Fire Blade.7482)

New Races in the future?

darkace.8925

I will say most of all the Hylek as they are large talking frogs whats not to like, And again just think of the interesting race skills they could use!

The only utility skill that comes to mind when thinking of hylek racial skills is Beg for Food.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

I’d like to see Tengu as a playable race – maybe tied into a new expansion where we get to venture back into Cantha. I’d be happy to wait another year for that.
Of course, looking at ANet’s current treatment of Cantha’s analog in Divinity’s Reach, I’m not getting my hopes up.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I could see Hylek’s being playable, since their culture shows them as warriors, but i just can’t see Quaggan ever being a playable race. Kodan would be so amazing! They would even be more popular than Norn.

A-Net should’ve released Kodan to counter WoW’s pandas. I mean seriously.. who would want to play a panda over a polar bear!

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

I want to play as a Largos

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

Also Krait.

I’d love to play as a Centaur, no other game has something like that in it. The frog species in this game remind me of the Frogleks in EverQuest. The Char remind me of the Krogan in Mass Effect. The Asuri are basically Yoda. The Sylvari are unique but you can see they drew on a lot of inspiration from the Night Elves in WoW. I play as a human in this game but I think the Norn are the coolest looking playable race – they remind me of the Barbarian from the Diablo series.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Isaac.6041

Isaac.6041

Quaggans should be added with some nice quaggan racial skills.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

We don’t need “new” races persay… we just need some more playable forms of existing races.

If there was a vote I’d sign up for a playable Skrit- wait! – Shiney!

Dashes out of thread

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

I would like Tengu or Largos.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Cari Shrine.7065

Cari Shrine.7065

Also Krait.

I’d love to play as a Centaur, no other game has something like that in it. The frog species in this game remind me of the Frogleks in EverQuest. The Char remind me of the Krogan in Mass Effect. The Asuri are basically Yoda. The Sylvari are unique but you can see they drew on a lot of inspiration from the Night Elves in WoW. I play as a human in this game but I think the Norn are the coolest looking playable race – they remind me of the Barbarian from the Diablo series.

Somebody already gave reasons why the centaurs wouldn’t be a good choice for a playable race, and I agree with it. Maybe in the distant distant future they might solve all those problems and make them viable but I highly doubt for the simple and unfortunate reason that they are not humanoid, which will bring huge issues like swimming, clothing, etc (like somebody pointed out already too) Plus they don’t have any city, they are pretty much nomad and the way GW2 works is, you choose a race, you start in your city, you go to your starter area and expand to the world, the Tengu is the obvious next race to be done, they have a city already and they have their place in the Lore, and actually they were supposed to be playable on release (or so I heard) but due to time and all that Cantha business they pushed them back.

Also saying that Charr are like the Krogan? Really? Charr were a race ever since the first GW and that came way before Mass Effect, I could understand if you said they looked like the Tauren since every kitten WoW fan says that as if it’s going to make me like my Charr any less… Asura do remind me of Yoda ahah but I find them funny. Don’t see the similarities between Night elves and Sylvari…seriously? I could understand if you said they looked like Dryads, which are mythical wood fairies and spirits and appear in a ton of fantasy games but they have nothing to do with Night elves as it is, maybe their old design is what you meant? Cause before they looked like any other normal elf.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

I can see the dwarfs returning to the surface being chased by Primordus (sp?)

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Kitsune.7894

Kitsune.7894

Dwarves please! Just please don’t make them so stupidly small like in WoW. Dwarves weren’t overly large but please! Dwarves are too epic to miss out on

New Races in the future?

Snow White.9680

Dryads! Elves! Something pretty!

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

Tengu, Dredge, Koda

New Races in the future?

Posted by: lockheedlight.5910

lockheedlight.5910

-Hylek. Yes please, I really want to see these frog warriors in the game.
-Kodan, Skritt, Tengu, Quaggan, Largos. Yes, all are races I would be interested in playing.
-Dredge. Would be ok with them, but not crazy about them.
-Centaurs. They already said no mounts in the game. Would rather other races before them.
-Krait. No thanks, they seem more evil then most races. Not so interested in lizard mermen either.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Failbait.4961

Failbait.4961

Largos all the way.
I’d delete my Thief and reroll him as a Largos in a heartbeat if they became playable.

New Races in the future?

Posted by: Kasenai.9418

Kasenai.9418

Anything that isn’t based on an animal. We don’t need more furries.

- En svensk tiger.