New Weapons

New Weapons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Freedan.1769

Freedan.1769

Its been some time since people brought up and discussed new weapons. As mentioned here http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/18/guild-wars-2s-colin-johanson-outlines-big-plans-and-course-cor/ there is a discussion of all classes getting new weapons. I would like to know if this is still in the works, and is this a distant item like guild halls and housing, or something coming soon? The update on this was over a year ago, and for me, I am very wistfully wishing my favorite classes could get a new weapon type to play with, which would inject an enormous amount of interest into the game, not to mention throw the discussion boards for a loop looking at new build diversity which can only be a good thing. Me, I want mesmer’s to get main-hand pistol, its way overdue and most requested Mesmer weapon(with good reason, see the intro video’s for gw2 showing Mesmer’s dual-wielding), any other classes have wishes for a specific weapon type to be released for their class?

New Weapons

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

People keep trying to give my Engi a hammer that he doesn’t really want… he said he would rather have a bazooka, and no not a charzooka.

New Weapons

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

any other classes have wishes for a specific weapon type to be released for their class?

bo-staff, elementalist.. and fix earth mage to be tanky and not a gimmick

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

New Weapons

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Staff for Ranger
2hander Axe for Guardian
2Hander Axe for Warrior
Sword for Necro
Hammer and Mace for Engineer
Torch for Elementalist

New Weapons

Freedan.1769

People keep trying to give my Engi a hammer that he doesn’t really want… he said he would rather have a bazooka, and no not a charzooka.

I think you could live with a charzooka if it was a new weapon type eh? Still, engi probably needs a new weapon addition more than any other class since your options are almost nill anyways. I think a sword engi sounds rather cool, since you could go with sword-guns that have attached barrels for instance, and maybe more mechanical type swords that have other effects like oiled blades that ignite on strike, etc.

New Weapons

Posted by: Hedgehog in the fog.1053

Hedgehog in the fog.1053

To add to the above list

Main Hand and offhand axes for mesmers

New Weapons

CMM.6712

I think you could live with a charzooka if it was a new weapon type eh? Still, engi probably needs a new weapon addition more than any other class since your options are almost nill anyways. I think a sword engi sounds rather cool, since you could go with sword-guns that have attached barrels for instance, and maybe more mechanical type swords that have other effects like oiled blades that ignite on strike, etc.

Or an extremely large pipe wrench! trying to think of others that would be engi-appropriate and drawing blanks really…hmm

New Weapons

Freedan.1769

Staff for Ranger
2hander Axe for Guardian
2Hander Axe for Warrior
Sword for Necro
Hammer and Mace for Engineer
Torch for Elementalist

I like how iconic your choices are for these classes. Staff for Ranger would feel very different and yet feel iconic not to mention give the class something else to consider. I could see it being especially useful as a pet supportive weapon type possibly. Everyone can use a bigger axe for melee types of course The sword for necro would also be iconic and appropriate, and maybe give necro’s some more options with possibly power builds. Both picks for the engineer would be good, especially hammer as it might be nice to have a weapon that possibly can be used to give confusion or knockdowns for engi’s. Torch is an absolutely appropriate weapon type for an elementalist, so no argument from me, anything could go with that and be appropriate.

New Weapons

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Main hand pistol for Mesmer, please. Make it a power or hybrid weapon that is useful for phantasm builds and doesn’t summon a clone on auto. Basically a ranged option for phantasms so I’m not forced to use a sword all the time.

New Weapons

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

What would I suggest? Well, ideally I’d like to see some new weapons themselves, but I feel that’s unlikely.

In an ideal world? I think the following are quite thematic and relevant.

Ele: Mainhand sword and offhand torch
Engi: Hammer and crossbow
Guard: Offhand mace and offhand scepter
Mesmer: Mainhand focus and pistol, offhand scepter
Necro: Mainhand sword, offhand axe, and offhand sword
Ranger: Crossbow staff, and offhand focus
Thief: Crossbow, offhand sword, mainhand and offhand focus
Warrior: Crossbow

Realistically? I think this would be a start, as the crossbow would probably not be implemented:

Ele: Mainhand sword
Engi: Hammer
Guard: Offhand mace
Mesmer: Offhand scepter
Necro: Mainhand sword
Ranger: Staff
Thief: Longbow
Warrior: N/A

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

New Weapons

Freedan.1769

Main hand pistol for Mesmer, please. Make it a power or hybrid weapon that is useful for phantasm builds and doesn’t summon a clone on auto. Basically a ranged option for phantasms so I’m not forced to use a sword all the time.

I have dreamed of something like that since launch. Give it some heavy damage options with a damaging clone perhaps, and that way we can use off-hand weapons that are power weapons like off-hand sword/focus without feeling like our only option for power main-hand is sword. Would be great for keeping range against tough enemies.

New Weapons

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Mesmer mainhand pistol:

1. Trick Shot – range 900, damage roughly 85-90% of sword, same attack speed. Every 3rd shot randomly applies cripple, vulnerability, or weakness.
  1. Dazzling Volly – range 900, damage similar to Blurred Frenzy, channel time 1.5 sec. Fire 3 quick shots which reflect projectiles for 1.5 seconds.
  1. The Pledge – Summon a clone at your position that uses Trick Shot.
  2. chain skill: The Turn – your target swaps position with your Pledge clone. Inflicts Blind.

The idea is to have a strong ranged 1-handed option (for power or hybrid builds, not condi) that doesn’t summon clones on auto attack. I also would like to see the magician theme expanded. The torch has The Prestige which is the 3rd part of a magic act. The first two parts are called the Pledge and the Turn. The pledge is when the magician presents a seemingly normal object. The Turn is when he does something incredible with it, like make it disappear. The Prestige is when he makes it reappear.

New Weapons

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Xenon.4537 +1 for referencing The Prestige (Movie).

I would LOVE to have some sort of hammer on my Engi, but any functionality that the hammer could have had, is already added to the wrench.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

(edited by Novuake.2691)

New Weapons

Posted by: Revilrad.1962

Revilrad.1962

Seriously the Norn whose name I forgot in the Ghosts of Ascalon Book uses a 2 Handed Greataxe!!! Why can’t I do this in game!?!?!?

New Weapons

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Greataxe for the win! I would also love to see some parody for existing weapons such as mace, shield, tired of GS ruling.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

New Weapons

Posted by: Revilrad.1962

Revilrad.1962

Besides Sword – Greatsword
Mace – Hammer
Scepter – Staff
Axe – ?!?!?!??!?!??!

New Weapons

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Or an extremely large pipe wrench! trying to think of others that would be engi-appropriate and drawing blanks really…hmm

Tool Kit gives you a wrench.

It’s actually rather satisfying bashing things with a wrench.

New Weapons

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Besides Sword and Torch, what more could an ele use in your opinion guys?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

New Weapons

Filaha.1678

Logically speaking, greatsword, bow, axe, hammer, and shield should all be choices.

How come I can use a fiery greatsword but not a normal one? :/

New Weapons

CMM.6712

Oh I agree, and use it, but I mean as a main weapon, not a kit. I am talking a big 2 handed monster wrench of smacking!

New Weapons

Filaha.1678

Oh I agree, and use it, but I mean as a main weapon, not a kit. I am talking a big 2 handed monster wrench of smacking!

At the very least, this should be a hammer skin.

If we can hit people with a big candy cane, why not a hugely implausible and impractical wrench?!?!

Think of the size of turret you could build with a two-handed wrench.

New Weapons

Valento.9852

Logically speaking, greatsword, bow, axe, hammer, and shield should all be choices.

Any more suggestions? Not currently present in game? #curious

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

New Weapons

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

i could see main hand focus as a possibility

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

New Weapons

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

please for the love of pizza give necros swords/greatswords, and a better ranged weapon for guardians

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

New Weapons

Filaha.1678

Guardians and Warriors (at least) should also be able to use main-hand shields.

All shield bashing, all the time.

Like, completely new weapons?

I’d love fist weapons. It’d be amazing with elementalists especially. They could expand the little element-bracelets to cover the entire hand so it’d be like punching someone with fire or a big rock on your hands.

New Weapons

Posted by: Chris.4670

Chris.4670

I’m still waiting for an offical statement to new Weapons (and Classes) anyway.
What i’m hoping would happen is that they implement Greataxe, like the one Toy Axe from the Halloween outfit. That would be really nice for my Warrior. But what i think is that we won’t get the new Weapons ins old Set styles like Dragon’S Jade weapon (they didn’t even create underwater weapons for it).
Also i would like to see a Lance or Naginata styled Weapon, ecspacially for elementalist i could imagine nice skills (i don’t think that this would happen anyway ^^).
As people already said, those weapons a Engineer or Elementalist can summon/use as a kit should definitly implimented, it would just made sense.

New Weapons

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I made a while thread about Elementalist Longbow as a primarily ranged
single target (a bit of aoe rolled in) weapon that used a kind of charge system for certain attacks. I really think something like that could fill in some ground that ele is missing and the arcane Archer motif is a valid approach for a bow wielding Elementalist.

New Weapons

Valento.9852

I’d love fist weapons. It’d be amazing with elementalists especially. They could expand the little element-bracelets to cover the entire hand so it’d be like punching someone with fire or a big rock on your hands.

This is amazing! Some months ago I thought about shurikens or “discos”, but feedback wasn’t really positive.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

New Weapons

Filaha.1678

This is amazing! Some months ago I thought about shurikens or “discos”, but feedback wasn’t really positive.

I would totally rock a D/D and Shuriken Thief. Wearing the ninja outfit, of course.

New Weapons

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I still think, the best Anet could do here is giving:

Thieves: Offhand Swords, Torches, Longbow, Crossbow, Staff, Axes and Maces, Whip
Rangers: Offhand Swords, Staff, Scepter, Focus, Halberds , Crossbows, Whip
Engineers: Hammer, Maces, Crossbow, Torch and some new Inventions like Electro Shocker, Freeze Gun, Vacuum Gun (Get inspired here by crazy weapons from Ratchet & Clank!!)
Warriors: Torch, Great Axe, Halberd, Main Hand Shield
Guardians: Great Axe, Halberd, Main Hand Shield, Offhand Sword, Longbow
Necromancers: Greatsword, Whip, Halberd, Sword, Offhand Axe, Maces, Torch
Elementalist: Sword, Shield, Whip, Torch, Longbow, Greatsword
Mesmer: Offhand Pistol, Rifle, Whip, Warhorn, Crossbow

I think that are the best iconic choices for weapons each class should receive, besides of the point, that each offhand weapon should become for all classes that wield them able to be usedcin both hands, cause it makes 0 difference, if I hold torch in a left or in the right hand, but it would create alot more build varity if those offhand items could be used in both hands. However, eventuely with the limit, that these kind of weapons are limited to be able to be used only once, for certain classes to maybe restrict, which class is able to dual wield those items and which class not.
Example: Dual Wielding Shields should be just only an option for example for Warriors and Guardians, but not for Engineers or Elementalists

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

New Weapons

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

So, recent LS episodes sorta got me thinking. Jory’s now walking around with a greatsword and she’s been practicing with Rox and she’s a necro…

New Weapons

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I still think, the best Anet could do here is giving:

Thieves: Offhand Swords, Torches, Longbow, Crossbow, Staff, Axes and Maces, Whip
Rangers: Offhand Swords, Staff, Scepter, Focus, Halberds , Crossbows, Whip
Engineers: Hammer, Maces, Crossbow, Torch and some new Inventions like Electro Shocker, Freeze Gun, Vacuum Gun (Get inspired here by crazy weapons from Ratchet & Clank!!)
Warriors: Torch, Great Axe, Halberd, Main Hand Shield
Guardians: Great Axe, Halberd, Main Hand Shield, Offhand Sword, Longbow
Necromancers: Greatsword, Whip, Halberd, Sword, Offhand Axe, Maces, Torch
Elementalist: Sword, Shield, Whip, Torch, Longbow, Greatsword
Mesmer: Offhand Pistol, Rifle, Whip, Warhorn, Crossbow

I think that are the best iconic choices for weapons each class should receive, besides of the point, that each offhand weapon should become for all classes that wield them able to be usedcin both hands, cause it makes 0 difference, if I hold torch in a left or in the right hand, but it would create alot more build varity if those offhand items could be used in both hands. However, eventuely with the limit, that these kind of weapons are limited to be able to be used only once, for certain classes to maybe restrict, which class is able to dual wield those items and which class not.
Example: Dual Wielding Shields should be just only an option for example for Warriors and Guardians, but not for Engineers or Elementalists

Funny you mention R+C.

As I was just about to respond to the person who suggested a giant 2H hammer wrench skin that I have dibs on a character named Ratchet Last Lombax if that occurs :P

New Weapons

Freedan.1769

I love these suggestions! Great thoughts, and the idea’s I would say have all been good too! Nice point wasted about NPC Marjorie being necro and wielding a sword(greatsword?) being a possible new weapon type for necro. I would be interested to see her skills highlighted at some point when wielding it. Hand weapons make a very interesting example of a new weapon type. I also think Spear, being a very iconic and effective weapon in ancient times deserves a mention with lots of potential for many classes, as is the morning star (something about the morning star just screams cool). I am also fascinated with the visual imagery of a wielded focus in the main hand, and wondering how the animation would be done?

New Weapons

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Whips for everybody.

New Weapons

Freedan.1769

I actually liked Pixelpumpkin’s thought about whips for everbody. One way Anet could ease new weapons into the game is to pick a single new weapon type and give it with different skills to each class in the game, this way it feels fair and everyone has some understanding of how it works fairly immediately. It could be made a mob drop rather than crafted, or vice versa. I like the idea of whips because a mid-ranged weapon that is not melee or long range would feel interesting and out of the norm for what we are used to(which I approve of). So my number 1 pick is whip, followed by my number 2 spear.

New Weapons

Posted by: Flitzie.6082

Flitzie.6082

I had a good chuckle over main hand shields…
It would need to restrict the offhand being a shield aswell.

Oh I can already see the infamous double shield warrior bunker builds.

We certainly need two-handed axes next. We are being teased with this custom brawl axe thing. So yea, animations are done already!

Besides that what I’d rather like to see is multiple skills for each skill-slot of any weapon.
For Example: You dont like the iconic 100b skill? Click the little arrow on top and change it for an Aoe ground target slam.

Stuff like this.

You touched the shiny, didn’t you?

New Weapons

Posted by: Sankekur.9182

Sankekur.9182

I’m all for spears on land. And not the paragon throwing spears, but actuall medium range spears. Somewhere between 400 and 900 range.

Just think of all the fun things you could do, covering the spears blade in poison, do fast stabs with extra damage if you flank your enemy, maybe a small chance to blind enemy when you crit or something… Defensive moves like the Ranger Axe 5.
Warrior and Guardian: wield the spears in one hand, with a shield or whatever in the other one. Maybe even change the skill combination depending on whether you use a shield or idk a focus on your left hand, like with the thief.
For Ranger it could work like the often suggestes staffs, basically giving them a way to be more in tune with nature…
Casters, well, I guess Ele could use another weapon, maybe like a PBAoE weapon but I don’t really know. Kinda like the newest Ele Heal skill.
____
And we definitely need two handed battle axes. I was actually saving up for the Dreamthistle Hammer as it looks more like a battleaxe than a hammer, but with the price skyrocketing I guess I can forget that one
But yeah, for warrior a condition heavy weapon, with a speed somewhere between hammer and greatsword, many whirly attacks, though it might be too similar to the GS if you screw that up. Considering other classes using the battleaxe, I can’t really imagine the Guardian with one, the Engineer neither, elementalist nope, maybe the Necro. But here I am not sure about how the weapon would work, since I don’t have a high level nec.
And I am all for whips! Thieves, Necromancers, Warriors, maybe even Mesmers (with a skill similar to Illusion of Drowning… Illusion of Suffocation?). I was thinking maybe Ranger, but honestly, Rangers do love their pets, and I don’t think they should be whipped.

New Weapons

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Lol, from a year and a half ago.

New Weapons

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

2hand axe FTW i love them !!!!!!