New dungeon reward system a nerf to alts?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Unknown.3672

Unknown.3672

If the rewards end up being account bound do you think its unfair to people that have many alts?

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

The only purpose of alts is to run dungeons multiple times?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

It does not say if you get the bonus account wide or on the char you did the first dungeon with :/

Unknown.3672

What do you guys prefer account or character ?

Posted by: Kimhyuna.1035

Kimhyuna.1035

Yea, for me and others, it actually is.

Minion

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

No, but it’s surely a nice addition.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I prefer account, hands down. The whole soulbound system is the most idiotic I’ve ever seen. I came from games like Ultima Online and Shadowbane, so when I first saw “Soulbound” in WoW, I was floored. How ridiculous, I thought. I was used to using armor until I didn’t need it anymore and selling it when I was done. This themepark centric idea of using armor and then vendoring it, because it was somehow superglued to my character? Bah!

The farther we move away from the archaic concept of single character bound, the happier I’ll be.

EDIT- I think I misunderstood the question, or rather the basis of account vs character in this situation.

(edited by Tolmos.8395)

Unknown.3672

Its not the only purpose but it can provide some variety when running a dungeon you enjoy. Also I run CoE with two groups of friends I use two different characters so now I will get less out of one of my runs

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

I really hope it’s per character. Otherwise I give up. Nerfing every possible way of getting money efficiently is just stupid. I want to do dungone 5 times because I have a good team . Don’t make me do other paths I don’t like.

“Play as you want” my kitten ArenaNet!

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Agreed. I would run one dungeon with character A, another with character B.

Everyone has a different reason for alts, but if people create alts for the sake of getting more and more stuff, more so than the guy with only one character, that creates an unbalanced game.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I really hope it’s per character. Otherwise I give up. Nerfing every possible way of getting money efficiently is just stupid. I want to do dungone 5 times because I have a good team . Don’t make me do other paths I don’t like.

“Play as you want” my kitten ArenaNet!

You did not read the new way for dungeons did you? If you did your comment makes no sense to me :/

Vol.5241

Well it’s your fault for putting your eggs in one basket. Or in other words, creating alts for the sole purpose of running the same dungeon multiple times.

If you love your alts so much, just run them on different paths depending on the need.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Kimhyuna.1035

Well it’s your fault for putting your eggs in one basket. Or in other words, creating alts for the sole purpose of running the same dungeon multiple times.

If you love your alts so much, just run them on different paths depending on the need.

Wait what, but anet told us we could play the game the way we want to. There are people in this world that create alts for the purpose of reward, not everyone has holy intentions.

Minion

Vol.5241

Wait what, but anet told us we could play the game the way we want to. There are people in this world that create alts for the purpose of reward, not everyone has holy intentions.

You can throw out that line as much as you want, but there will always be different groups of players that get shafted due to conflicting desires.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

If we were allowed to play the game we wanted to…Id be farming in orr or some other zone for mats. But those areas continue to be nerfed. Id forget about gear…Before November, I had the gear I wanted. Best in Slot for my purposes. Then ascended gear came out, and now I wanted to have the new BiS…grind. Thats not the game I wanted to play. I wanted to playthe way I wanted to, but a new tier in November(even if it is the last one) stopped me from the game I wanted to play: Acquire BiS gear and just enjoy.

I think we can effectively take that line and throw it out the nearest airlock.
Sad but true

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

You can throw out that line as much as you want, but there will always be different groups of players that get shafted due to conflicting desires.

Sure, but it does seem like more often that not the people who get shafted are the ones with Alts. Now that it may be that they are shafting everyone and if you have 5 alts you feel it 5 times as much.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Vol.5241

Sure, but it does seem like more often that not the people who get shafted are the ones with Alts. Now that it may be that they are shafting everyone and if you have 5 alts you feel it 5 times as much.

Yeah, and on the same token, you can make the argument that those with only 1 character are at a disadvantage. So it goes both ways.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Kimhyuna.1035

Not when most of their nerfs effect the farming crowd. But its useless arguing when people cant see anet EVER doing anything wrong, despite how much their philosophies have changed.

I invite you to find a suitable system that would benefit those with multiple alts and those that dont, or you can just sit down and take what Anet throw at you. Again and again.

Minion

Unknown.3672

Not when most of their nerfs effect the farming crowd. But its useless arguing when people cant see anet EVER doing anything wrong, despite how much their philosophies have changed.

I invite you to find a suitable system that would benefit those with multiple alts and those that dont, or you can just sit down and take what Anet throw at you. Again and again.

^Agreed

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

If it is an account wide reward then please allow achievements to be account wide as well. Ie. Story mode is completed on your main, it’s counted as completed for all characters.

edit: grammatical error

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

(edited by Infernia.9847)

Unknown.3672

If it is account wide reward then please allow achievements to be account wide as well. Ie. Story mode is completed on your main, it’s counted as completed for all characters.

I like this suggestion and lets make fotm level account bound as well

Kimhyuna.1035

If it is account wide reward then please allow achievements to be account wide as well. Ie. Story mode is completed on your main, it’s counted as completed for all characters.

What about the WvW rank system? Why does it need to be different on every character? Or is this the wvw ‘progression’ they were talking about? Farm your 5k ranks on one character and move on to the next.

Minion

Unknown.3672

What about the WvW rank system? Why does it need to be different on every character? Or is this the wvw ‘progression’ they were talking about? Farm your 5k ranks on one character and move on to the next.

Farming is ok as long as its what they want you to farm apparently.

Vol.5241

…And that’s exactly my point?! What are you trying to get at?

Anet can’t design any type of system that can reward both types of players. Because both will whine that they’re being ‘punished’

You limit rewards account bound, and the alt group will whine. You limit rewards soulbound, and the 1 char group will whine that they’re being punished for not having alts.

So what I’m thinking is that Anet is trying to choose the best course of action that will do the less damage. And I think the number of people who have alts exclusively for farming the same path of the same dungeon is just a small, vocal minority.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

If it is an account wide reward then please allow achievements to be account wide as well. Ie. Story mode is completed on your main, it’s counted as completed for all characters.

Why not go all the way and make every single stat/skin account bound. If I unlock dungeon armor for one char, make me able to use it for every other char, if they do make all these reward changes accountbound.

TooBz.3065

Yeah, and on the same token, you can make the argument that those with only 1 character are at a disadvantage. So it goes both ways.

It all comes down to which behavior ANet wants to incentivize. If they want to incentivize having one character only then they should make rewards per account and make unlocks per character. If they want to incentivize having multiple characters they should do the reverse.

It seems more clear all the time that the system incentivizes having one character.

TooBz.3065

Why not go all the way and make every single stat/skin account bound. If I unlock dungeon armor for one char, make me able to use it for every other char, if they do make all these reward changes accountbound.

I actually can’t tell if you are being sarcastic. But I actually agree. Rewards should be earned for the account, effort put in should contribute to the account. In my view, I am one person playing a game. Whether I choose to play with 1 character or 10 should not make a difference.

Unknown.3672

I think if they want to do things account based why not go all the way with it. Lets see dungeon story modes, fractal level, WvW Ranks, and skins all be account bound.

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

I actually can’t tell if you are being sarcastic. But I actually agree. Rewards should be earned for the account, effort put in should contribute to the account. In my view, I am one person playing a game. Whether I choose to play with 1 character or 10 should not make a difference.

Not sarcastic, just conditionally peeved if the change is accountbound. It’s hard enough to gear alts with time gated mechanics (DR per day), but make these time gated mechanics even more time gated by having these completion rewards accountbound would just suck, majorly. We’ll just have to wait a week and see.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Here’s the actual information we have:

“Each day when you finish a unique path for any explorable or story dungeon, you’ll receive a bonus reward for completion—1 to 3 gold for explorable dungeons depending on their length and difficulty, 50 silver for story dungeons. Guaranteed coin rewards that previously dropped from bosses in dungeons have been removed in lieu of these new rewards for dungeon completion; all other drops off of bosses have not been changed. Now you have even more incentive for braving the hazards of the dungeons of Tyria!”

So, basically, what they are removing from the game is the coin rewards the dungeons gave before… which IIRC was about 20s for CoF1, for example. Assuming the rest stays the same, you can still keep farming the dungeon with your alts as you did, the monetary rewards will be less (you’ll stil be able to get your tokens, buy rares, and salvage for ectos, again, assuming everything else remains the same) but might still be worth. The whole idea behind this patch is to make people run other dungeons than just CoF1 repeatedly, which is why they’re adding an extra bonus reward for each unique dungeon path you run.

So, if you want to keep farming CoF1 as usual with alts your monetary reward will be nerfed a bit, but chances are will still be viable… but if you want the actual bonus reward, well, there are 8 dungeons, 3 paths per dungeon meaning 32 possible paths to get bonus rewards from every day (not counting story runs that also give bonus rewards but less than explorable), so if you do that I doubt you’d even have time to bring alts into play unless you plan on staying 24h playing.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

TooBz.3065

Not sarcastic, just conditionally peeved if the change is accountbound. It’s hard enough to gear alts with time gated mechanics (DR per day), but make these time gated mechanics even more time gated by having these completion rewards accountbound would just suck, majorly. We’ll just have to wait a week and see.

Yes. For me this is the single biggest problem with the game. As more awards are earned per account, be benefits are accrued per character the more I think that creating alts is a mistake. I’m still trying to decide how to handle it.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Wrong question. The only purpose of alts is to run CoF p1 more times? That’s the question you should be asking, and the answer should be “no”. After the change you won’t be able to run CoF P1 with each of your alts, big deal run some other dungeons instead.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I am happy with account based. As long as they leave the chests (which all they said was they were removing the gold from the bosses), then the dungeons still make me money by doing them on my alts (of which I have 5) via the chests. I’m fine with this.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Nerf? Three gold bonus for dancing with Loopy is hardly a nerf.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

I have 16 alts, and have never run a single dungeon — I don’t see how this is a nerf to alts, so much as it is a possible nerf to those who simply use their alts for multiple dungeon runs.

But is that the biggest reason people have alts?

Or is it just one reason of many? I know there are those that have alts because they want to be able to try out each profession, some because they want to try out each race, some create alts with specific builds/stat stets for specific functions, and some, like me, because they just like creating multiple chars.

Maybe it’s me, but I think it’s kind of a generalized statement to call something like this an all out nerf on people with multiple alts.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

I prefer account, hands down. The whole soulbound system is the most idiotic I’ve ever seen. I came from games like Ultima Online and Shadowbane, so when I first saw “Soulbound” in WoW, I was floored. How ridiculous, I thought. I was used to using armor until I didn’t need it anymore and selling it when I was done. This themepark centric idea of using armor and then vendoring it, because it was somehow superglued to my character? Bah!

The farther we move away from the archaic concept of single character bound, the happier I’ll be.

EDIT- I think I misunderstood the question, or rather the basis of account vs character in this situation.

Would you prefer a more realistic excuse/terminology? In reality armor needs to be custom made per individual to fit properly. It certainly doesn’t make any sense how an asura’s armor could fit on a norn.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Why run them on alt, when you can just run every dungeon on your main? I’ll never play my alt now. What else I’m going to use them for, I finish all the map completion and personal story.

I’m not complaining, I’m just saying my point of view. For me “personally”, I find no use for my alt now.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Vol.5241

Why run them on alt, when you can just run every dungeon on your main? I’ll never play my alt now. What else I’m going to use them for, I finish all the map completion and personal story.

I’m not complaining, I’m just saying my point of view. For me “personally”, I find no use for my alt now.

Some dungeons are better suited for certain classes. Having the ability to choose gives you more options.

For example, in Twilight Arbor, it can help considerably if you have a guardian with staff. If no one is one in your party, switch to it and you can clear blossoms safer.

And people here seem to forget that the other rewards other than gold are the same.

If I read it correctly, tokens rewarded upon completion are separate so you can still farm the full 60 extra tokens on your alts.

[Permabanned on Forums]

laokoko.7403

Some dungeons are better suited for certain classes. Having the ability to choose gives you more options.

For example, in Twilight Arbor, it can help considerably if you have a guardian with staff. If no one is one in your party, switch to it and you can clear blossoms safer.

And people here seem to forget that the other rewards other than gold are the same.

If I read it correctly, tokens rewarded upon completion are separate so you can still farm the full 60 extra tokens on your alts.

oh come on. is those blossom really make that much difference. Even if it’s true, i’ll only play my warrior and guardian.

that being said focusing on gearing 1 char is much easier to gear a bunch of them.

I’m not upset with the change, I just felt I’ll rarely play alt this point on.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

maddoctor.2738

So the only reason you made your alts was to run specific dungeon path all day? That’s the main reason they are revamping the dungeon rewards so people don’t do that…

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

I am pretty sure the same mechanics in place now are going to make it to the new patch…full rewards per character. Though I can imagine the only “alters” concerned about this are the one’s wanting to run CoF p1 all day long. But to each his own.

A dev clarification would be nice though. How about it? Dev response?

(edited by Amun Ra.6435)

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

I want to play the game the way I want to too. Cheerleader lfg Arah p4. WSP ME I’M PRETTY!!!

Posted by: Diogo Augusto.6904

Diogo Augusto.6904

I hope the reward is character based, if not, A.Net will be punishing the players who have and like to play with alts.

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

I hope the reward is character based, if not, A.Net will be punishing the players who have and like to play with alts.

It would not be a punishment…to suggest that is just ridiculous.

It would be like someone suggesting that DR is punishment for people with only one toon…which of course we all know what it is :-P lol.

(edited by Amun Ra.6435)

maddoctor.2738

How is it punishment? Unless you use all those alts of yours to farm a specific path all day (which is exactly what they want to prevent) it won’t even affect you.

laokoko.7403

So the only reason you made your alts was to run specific dungeon path all day? That’s the main reason they are revamping the dungeon rewards so people don’t do that…

I can’t run them all day. I only have 11 level 80. Unless I have 60 level 80 I can run them all day. Not to mention dungeon have diminishing return of 30 token if you run too many of the same dungeon.

And doign cof on warrior/mesmer group is much better than doing those 10-15 minutes pug on my alt. I only play my alt for fun. Not to make more money. Those no rule pug get no where close to the warrior/mesmer group.

I’m not complaining. I think it’s the right thing. Else everyone will just use it to abuse dimishing return. I’m just saying I won’t be playing my alt much.

The truth is if only Anet make things “soulbound on acquire”. there might be some point on playing alt. Now there really isn’t.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

It always amuses me when I see stuff like this. What does it matter if all the majority of people do is run CoF p1? That’s what they have decided they want to do, and that it gives them the best reward vs time. Instead of looking at something to create interest in other dungeons, they decide to nerf it across the board.

I look at it like this; if you own a restaurant and you have 10 menu choices and 90% of the people order 1 specific choice all the time, and the others sell sporadically what does this lead you to believe? That the other choices are just as good as choice 1 and that people just don’t know it so you need to force them to try the other ones? So you purposefully make your best selling dish less tasty and appealing to encourage more people to eat other meals. Seems like you would need to look at your other dishes and realize they aren’t as good as you thought and make them more tasty and appetizing to people.

kitten backwards thinking and I would fire someone who proposed to that me if I ran the business.

Posted by: zallesz.1650

zallesz.1650

Come on let’s be honest here. “Punishing other who run dungeons with alts”.
You mean running cof with 5 characters within one hour, on a daily basis? Where is the fun in that? Is playing an MMO only an endless cof run/farm to some people? It is not. Go and try other dungeons because they look nice, because they have a story, not because it is another 20s.

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

It always amuses me when I see stuff like this. What does it matter if all the majority of people do is run CoF p1? That’s what they have decided they want to do, and that it gives them the best reward vs time. Instead of looking at something to create interest in other dungeons, they decide to nerf it across the board.

I look at it like this; if you own a restaurant and you have 10 menu choices and 90% of the people order 1 specific choice all the time, and the others sell sporadically what does this lead you to believe? That the other choices are just as good as choice 1 and that people just don’t know it so you need to force them to try the other ones? So you purposefully make your best selling dish less tasty and appealing to encourage more people to eat other meals. Seems like you would need to look at your other dishes and realize they aren’t as good as you thought and make them more tasty and appetizing to people.

kitten backwards thinking and I would fire someone who proposed to that me if I ran the business.

I think you should rethink your analogy. There is difference between “buy” and “gain”. As in you are in a restaurent to “buy” and not to gain. And in a dungeon to “gain” and “sell”. The only think remotely close to this dungeon change … well nothing.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

I think you should rethink your analogy. There is difference between “buy” and “gain”. As in you are in a restaurent to “buy” and not to gain. And in a dungeon to “gain” and “sell”. The only think remotely close to this dungeon change … well nothing.

My analogy is fine you are just trying to apply the wrong parameters to it. Basically if you design multiple things, and people only like 1, you don’t change the 1 to make it worse you change the others that people aren’t interested in.