New player looking for class suggestions.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arthan.1386

Arthan.1386

Hey guys,

let’s start by saying that I am a VERY CASUAL MMO player. I started the game by trying the Mesmer, which had what sounded like interesting mechanics to me. I guess they are very interesting to play but it’s just too much management for me, I’m looking for something simple yet fun to play. I really just wanna kill time and explore the world, see the lore and story etc…

I’m not the kind of guy who’s gonna have multiple max level characters, I’ll just have one, level it to max and maybe to some PvP after. So, what would you guys say are the most simple classes to play without becoming boring ?

Thanks !

Posted by: Lonesamurai.4852

Lonesamurai.4852

Look through all the profession choices and race choices and play what sounds most fun to you

Owner and GW2 DJ, Sanitarium.FM
Guild Leader – Wolf Pack Samurai
Owner and admin, The Guild-Hall2.net

Posted by: Vaxx.3178

Vaxx.3178

Anet loves Warriors….

Just sayin

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

For the most variety (and long term interest) in gameplay, go with Elementalist or Engineer. Both have the most skills, and frankly more diverse playstyles than the other professions. Elementalist is quite underpowered atm, and the Engineer needs some love too, but neither professions is as unviable as the poor Ranger. But for fun, and a variety in gameplay, its Ele or Engy.

If you prefer to be good at everything, while having few drawbacks, then you’ll want to main a Warrior or Guardian. Warrior is more offensive, Guardian defensive, but both tend to be pretty boring IMHO and several others have voiced this critique as well, that their gameplay style is monotonous.

Thief is pretty good, and has Stealth, lots of evades and plenty of mobility. But they can be pretty fragile. The Thief also has some similar elements to the Mesmer (deception based gameplay) and while not having clones does take quite a bit of micromanagement to get the most out of.

Necromancer is actually a good choice for you. They can be powerful as a power build, a condi build and a hybrid build, and have minions for extra defense and offense, as well as Death Shroud, with extra skills and more health. Usually though, more than one Necro in a party is a no-no since multiple condition sources don’t stack, but as a solo PvE character its fine. They can also be pretty versatile in PvP, and a Staff and Wells Necro is quite powerful as an AoE blaster in WvW.

I personally main an Ele, and have a Mesmer, Necro and Engy. I still prefer the Ele, but Engy is quite fun too, and both Mesmer and Necro have interesting gameplay mechanics that I enjoy. Also, three of those four are considered “underpowered” so its unlikely my gameplay will suffer long term as a consequence of nerfs.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Guardian is more forgiving than Warrior, but either are best suited for casual play across all avenues of GW2 gaming.

Due to limited amount of skills, all classes can become boring at times. When this happens consider trying other weapons and builds for a while.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Warrior.

Their class mechanic is ONE button (f1) and there are plenty of character options that will reward you for not pushing it or forgetting to push it.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Warrior is fine as an all around class – fun to play – fun to do stuff with and generally well suited for anything.
You will be outclassed however in various areas by other classes better suited to niche roles. Prepare for a " jack of all trades – master of none " situation.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Axz.8430

Axz.8430

I recently started and had the same question. I just finished comparing all 8 classes so here’s my opinion:

If you’re a casual player I’d say avoid engineer, elementalist, mesmer and necromancer. They all need a lot of investment to become competent. In the case of ele and engineer they also need a lot more manual dexterity, unless you play with a controller anyhow. Mesmer and necro are simpler to play but have some hidden drawbacks which aren’t immediately apparent (lack of speed for the mesmer, and poor synergy with other necros for the necro) unless you have a dedicated group they’re kind of a pain.

Thief, warrior, guardian and ranger are all much simpler to play well. Guardian and ranger are by far the easiest/strongest – you’ll rarely die with either. Warrior and thief are more delicate and need some finesse to play well (limited healing and mitigation options and need to be in melee to deal decent damage).

Overall i found the classes to be pretty well balanced for an mmo. It’s mainly a case of how many buttons you want to press in any given fight and what exactly you plan to spend your time doing. In my opinion Ele is the strongest overall class, but you really have to work hard to play it well. If you get lazy its performance drops off very fast.

Posted by: Arimahn.3568

Arimahn.3568

Warrior is fine as an all around class – fun to play – fun to do stuff with and generally well suited for anything.
You will be outclassed however in various areas by other classes better suited to niche roles. Prepare for a " jack of all trades – master of none " situation.

This could be said about any class and build.

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Ranger.The most op class in gw2 . The reason why nobody mention ranger because they are too op.Nobody wants you to play an op class thats why they are suggesting otherwise.

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

It sounds like you either want guardian, ranger or warrior. Both are classes that don’t require a ton of APM.

Thief, Necromancer, and Mesmer require medium APM

Engineer and ele require the highest APM

APM is actions per minute, basically how many keys you will be pushing during combat. Higher APM means more complexity and management.

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

I currently have an Elementalist, Engineer, Thief, Warrior, and Guardian to level 80. All exotic geared except for one with rare trinkets. I play them all to a pretty competent level in pve.

Without a shred of a doubt. The best classes, if I were to only be able to play one of them, would be a tie between the Guardian and the Warrior. They are the best balanced of all the classes so far with no indication that it will change in the near future.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Warrior is the easiest (faceroll) class and doesn’t need a lot of class to play, yet if you want to play it good, you’ll need some skill, not as much as with other classes… but still some.

Engineer on the other hand is the hardest class by far, but is also incredibly rewarding to play when you are skilled at it.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

This could be said about any class and build.

Try saying it about thief.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: balrog.1307

balrog.1307

I’m also a very casual mmo player and only couple of days ago joined GW2. I would suggest you take thief class – it is not the easiest, but it is also not so complicated that you can’t figure out what to do next. I’m running now with 2 sets – 2 daggers & 2 pistols – both of them are really fun & effective.

Posted by: Lurch.9517

Lurch.9517

buy perplexity runes then select a character to equip them on

Lurch
Gandara

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Honestly if you just want to have a relaxing time and explore the world without dying- go Ranger.
The are easy to pick up and they are the best solo explorer class bar none- they are also almost indestructible.
I adore my Ranger and I do world completion on her even though I have 70% on my Mesmer- It is just so much more fun on a Ranger

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Lurch.9517

Lurch.9517

Honestly if you just want to have a relaxing time and explore the world without dying- go Ranger.
The are easy to pick up and they are the best solo explorer class bar none- they are also almost indestructible.
I adore my Ranger and I do world completion on her even though I have 70% on my Mesmer- It is just so much more fun on a Ranger

He did say ‘maybe do some PVP after’ tho so Ranger would not be the ideal class for that.

Lurch
Gandara

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

He did say ‘maybe do some PVP after’ tho so Ranger would not be the ideal class for that.

He also said with out becoming boring :P

I know people love Guardians and Warriors but I can never get them past lvl 10 or so because they bore me to tears.
Mind you Ranger is a simple class but I don’t find it boring for some reason.
eh tastes differ

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Not making a Warrior or Guardian at this point in the game would be suicide. No other class gets the same level of attention from the developers, no other class is as in high demand despite being the most common classes you run accross, and both are top of the line in WvW and sPvP.

The last classes you’ll ever want to consider are Ranger, Engineer, or Thief for the exact opposite of the above.

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

I hate to say this.. but just roll a warrior.

A-Net has made it very clear that the warrior is their golden child. It is a strong class that keeps getting buffed, meanwhile classes that are broken in some areas receive no fixes, or are continuously nerfed for some reason.

Warriors can literally do everything depending on how you spec, and they are good at it all. Damage, mobility, survival, cc, healing, buffing, you name it. And they are also easy to learn.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief