New race

New race

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Halex.7385

Halex.7385

Hey everyone, I feel like GW2 needs a new race. I was wondering what you all think, and what would be a good race for them to make. (If it would ever happen) I personally think that a half elf would be cool (half human half elf) what are your thoughts?

New race

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

I don’t think AN wants the stereotypical, generic MMO races as playable races. Elves, Ogres, Goblins, etc. Boring and generic.

Kodan would be quite nice though. But not those annoying bird people. I cringe to think what horrors lay behind that grubby wall. Looks like it hasn’t been cleaned since the last Elder Dragon attack. >.>

New race

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

On top of what Argon said, it’s canon straight from the lore devs that the various races cannot interbreed. Plus there aren’t elves so where does that half come from?

Tengu seem most likely to be next since there’s so much infrastructure for them in game already. Kodan could be interesting though I don’t enjoy Norn and Charr so much simply due to camera angle issues — but how to customize a race that always has white fur?

New race

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There is usually a weekly thread about wanting Tengu as a playable race. Reading between the lines…I think that means the community may want Tengu characters added…

Personally, I’d like to see dwarves (not going to happen though the way the lore is) or Hylek (they have cool animations!). I would say Kodan, but I’m unconvinced their philosophies entirely match all professions.

Or something entirely new to the franchise!!

New race

Posted by: Ren.5842

Ren.5842

I’m not a lore buff so forgive any ignorance here but:
Cat people (ala FFXIV)?
Something like the Castanic or Aman from Tera would be very cool!

Leader of Varshen, a BDO Guild
www.varshen.com

New race

Posted by: WRay.2391

WRay.2391

Quoggan please

New race

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

An shamanistic race of purple and blue goat-people that have travelled from an alternate dimension on a godly-entity’s craft to gather Kralkatorrik’s jewels to use as a source of power and to adorn their belly-dancers with.

New race

Posted by: darkfiremew.5937

darkfiremew.5937

I can’t wait to see the tengu and the kodan added as playable races; they’re so cool. If they add races through Living Story then they finally have content worthy of a add-on; if they added more permanent playable areas maybe then I’ll call it and expansions worth of content. Just Southsun doesn’t count. Tengu and kodan are awesome!

New race

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Cat people (ala FFXIV)?

We have cat people. While developing the charr, (especially the females), the devs decidedly went as far as they could from the stereotypical human who just happens to have cat ears and tail.

The races in Guild Wars use archetypes, but avoid stereotypes.

I should be writing.

(edited by Gulesave.5073)

New race

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

There is usually a weekly thread about wanting Tengu as a playable race. Reading between the lines…I think that means the community may want Tengu characters added…

Personally, I’d like to see dwarves (not going to happen though the way the lore is) or Hylek (they have cool animations!). I would say Kodan, but I’m unconvinced their philosophies entirely match all professions.

Or something entirely new to the franchise!!

Haha I love the way you put “read between the lines.” +1 for Tengu!

As for Kodan, I’m kind of suprised its such a popular request. They don’t seem that interesting to me, especially since according to lore, the Norn are basically their descendants. The Tengu have a much more interesting history in my opinion.

New race

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Kodan, Tengu, Quaggan, Hylek, Ogre, Centaurs, and Grawl. All options for new races with out having to create something out of whole cloth.

Jotun are probably too tribal and degenerate to be an option, and Skritt are too stupid as individuals to make good player characters.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

New race

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

One think I’m most impressed with regarding Guild Wars 2 is the fact that the developers didn’t feel the need to slap breasts on the females of every race. Unlike WoW (which makes every beast race so dimorphic that the women all look like humans) and SWTOR (which won’t make any beast race at all since apparently no one would play them) Guild Wars 2 seems to understand that people want a variety of characters to play.

To that end, I hope not to see any elf-like races. We already have one – the Sylvari – who are elves with a very beautiful twist. I also don’t want to see any humans with monster parts thrown on (like cat people.)

It would be cool if, since Zhaitan is defeated in the personal story, some Risen were able to develop sentience and became playable. Kind of like the black mages in FFIX, who were constructs without a soul, until something happened to make them self-aware. I don’t think this can happen, but it’s an idea.

The Tengu have a lot of room for customization. As much as it would be fun to see the Kodan as a playable race, they all kind of look exactly the same, and wouldn’t work for a game that prided itself on pretty extensive customization options. Perhaps, with some sort of effect of the elder dragons, the Kodan could develop other fur patterns other than ‘polar bear.’ That would have to play out in lore, though.

I also have a soft spot for Skritt, but, unfortunately, as soon as a skritt leaves its colony, it becomes a whole lot stupider. Group intelligence, woo!

New race

Posted by: Isha.4278

Isha.4278

Personally i think there would be 2 interesting playable races. Tengu and Krait I would love to play a Krait! Even though it most likely will never happen i can still visualize how my Krait warrior would look like in a plate armor wielding a two handed sword (or axe if that becomes implemented in the future)

New race

Posted by: Brutal Augus.5917

Brutal Augus.5917

for the love of god just don’t add pandas.
I think The Krait would be cool to play. I wonder what their elite skills would be.

[varX] Limitless Potential

(edited by Brutal Augus.5917)

New race

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I love elves so don’t get me wrong… but they have 0 place in this game.

I honestly don’t think Kodan would make a good playable race, they lack way way much in customisation and there is 0 difference on male and female. They would need an overhaul so big that they wouldn’t really be kodan anymore which imo would be a shame. So despite being a favorite for many I am sort of against them as playable.

Hylek, quaggan, skritt and ogres are also no go. They are minor races in personal story, and Anet said about hylek that they were what can be done with a race that is not playable in the making off book.

Krait/naga and centaurs would be too akward and troublesome in regards to armor and animations for certain skills. I would kinda sorta like centaurs tbh, but I don’t see them as a viable option.

The only races with some potential to be playable is tengu and largos. Tengu pretty much already have all the basics covered as they were on the board for playable in the first place, no issues with armor and animations that we don’t already have on charr (I know that is not exactly all that positive, but it is still better than the others) and even if they would be way different from GW1 tengu they would not need to be completely overhauled and retconned lorewise. We know sufficiently little about largos for them to be almost anything… sort of.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

New race

Brutal Augus.5917

I love elves so don’t get me wrong… but they have 0 place in this game.

I honestly don’t think Kodan would make a good playable race, they lack way way much in customisation and there is 0 difference on male and female. They would need an overhaul so big that they wouldn’t really be kodan anymore which imo would be a shame. So despite being a favorite for many I am sort of against them as playable.

Hylek, quaggan, skritt and ogres are also no go. They are minor races in personal story, and Anet said about hylek that they were what can be done with a race that is not playable in the making off book.

Krait/naga and centaurs would be too akward and troublesome in regards to armor and animations for certain skills. I would kinda sorta like centaurs tbh, but I don’t see them as a viable option.

The only races with some potential to be playable is tengu and largos. Tengu pretty much already have all the basics covered as they were on the board for playable in the first place, no issues with armor and animations that we don’t already have on charr (I know that is not exactly all that positive, but it is still better than the others) and even if they would be way different from GW1 tengu they would not need to be completely overhauled and retconned lorewise. We know sufficiently little about largos for them to be almost anything… sort of.

That is very true, to implement the Tengu as a playable class would probably be their best option if they so chose to add any race at all. Especially if it was already a possible at launch.

New race

Posted by: Daesyn.4781

Daesyn.4781

I went and looked it up, but the bestiary for GW2 is actually pretty small. In terms of possible playable races, there isn’t much. Unless, of course, the use opening up new, undiscovered lands as an excuse to introduce a completely new race (that, I’m sure, were completely undiscovered until the awakening of the dragons).

So let’s not leave out completely new races just yet.

We got the cat people (charr). Maybe we’ll get the dog people, or the lizard people… or maybe even the shrew people. (off to lala-land we gooooooooo~)

New race

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

If they add a new race anytime soon there’ll probably just be even more armor clipping and stretching problems. They need to finish designing the current races still. Specifically Male Sylvari and Charr.

Personally i think there would be 2 interesting playable races. Tengu and Krait I would love to play a Krait! Even though it most likely will never happen i can still visualize how my Krait warrior would look like in a plate armor wielding a two handed sword (or axe if that becomes implemented in the future)

There’s always the possibility of Tonics that let you fight in the transformation like Watchknights. Wish they’d make more of those.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

New race

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

An shamanistic race of purple and blue goat-people that have travelled from an alternate dimension on a godly-entity’s craft to gather Kralkatorrik’s jewels to use as a source of power and to adorn their belly-dancers with.

How about a race of undead, newly released from Zhaitan’s grasp?

New race

Posted by: Beorn Raukar.4328

Beorn Raukar.4328

One think I’m most impressed with regarding Guild Wars 2 is the fact that the developers didn’t feel the need to slap breasts on the females of every race.

Funny story. In GW1 there were no female Charr, as per the lore the Flame Legion were very chauvinistic in the sense that they kept them out of any sort of political/combat role as they deemed them unworthy. One of the main characters during the uprising was a female Charr from the Iron Legion. Anyway, into the funny story. While in the development of the concept art for the Female Charr it was discussed if they should add breasts to them. One of the concept artists proposed that it should none or six, due to them being based on cats that have six nipples. This was in an interview pre-release that I’m too Lazy to find.

New race

Brutal Augus.5917

How about a race of undead, newly released from Zhaitan’s grasp?

Now theres an interesting concept. Very comparible to WoW’s “undead” class though. If they do add an undead class I just hope the undead story in gw2 is not a mirror image of the undead in WoW.

New race

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

Skrit. They can just downsize Charr’s armor and use Asura’s animation.

[DONE]

New race

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

Very comparible to WoW’s “undead” class though.

That was intentional… Person I was replying to described the Draenei.

New race

Brutal Augus.5917

Very comparible to WoW’s “undead” class though.

That was intentional… Person I was replying to described the Draenei.

oh, my bad. Sometimes I only read the OP post and neglect to read all commentary.

New race

imsoenthused.1634

Skrit. They can just downsize Charr’s armor and use Asura’s animation.

Ya, I can see it now.

Trahearne: The choice is yours hero, what do we do next?

Skritt Player Character: Mine! My Shinies! Get away!

Trahearne: …

New race

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

I personally want largos as a playable race, their cultural armor style fits dark characters well. It would make nice necros/thieves and heavy characters.

Attachments:

New race

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

My personal picks:

1. Tengu. If a new race is ever released, it will almost certainly be Tengu. They were actually slated to be the 6th playable race at launch, but got cut due to lack of time. They already have a spot on the map to be their capital city, and they have a unique culture and distinct appearance that easily distinguishes them from the other races. Perhaps most importantly, male and female Tengu look different to each other, affording players plenty of customisation options. (Female Tengu are bigger than the males, but have drab plumage.)

2. Krait/Naga. To my knowledge, no MMO (or even a single player RPG) has ever allowed players to be a serpentoid race. Reptilian humanoids, yes, but no serpentoids. This would let ANet break truly new ground. Krait are almost certainly out of the question due to their established “villain” status, but the Naga (or Forgotten, but I think Forgotten is extremely unlikely due to how rare they are in the current day. I’m not even sure if the Forgotten still exist in modern-day Tyria) can be contenders. We’ve seen from the in-game Krait that there’s lots of different customisation players could use, plus there’s a distinct difference in appearance between the sexes. Krait can also swim and possibly jump by coiling their tails underneath themselves and using it like a spring. (For those players who are saying that Krait don’t have feet… tail armor. )

3. Skritt. Unfortunately I have to admit that Skritt is a remote possibility due to their status as an “allied race” and because of their peculiar intelligence. Writing for a Skritt PC would be a nightmare. Still, I can dream of a Skritt Engineer who runs around hurling junk/elixirs at people all day. XD (Also, “Finders Keepers” is the PERFECT title for a Skritt PC. )

Aside from these options, other potential races include the Kodan and Largos, although I think it’s unlikely. The Kodan are too similar to the Norn in terms of gaming clichés (large, physically powerful arctic-dwelling races who use cold-themed weaponry), and I think they’d have trouble standing out on their own. Plus, there’s very little to distinguish male and female Kodan, which is a big no-no for player customisation.

The Largos have some potential, but I think they’re too unknown to really make a good player race. (Plus, you just KNOW that every Largos and their mom is going to be a Thief. :P) Furthermore, they’re an aquatic race, and it wouldn’t really make sense for a Largos PC to leave their sea homes and go adventuring for months or even years at a time away from the water. (This differs from the Krait, who can live indefinitely out of the water.) Finally, those wings look cool, but they would be a clipping nightmare for the armor artists. The Charr and their tails were bad enough!

New race

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

Kodak would be tight, another classic heavy armor looking race. Please no tengu, looks horrible. I like races that have a general human look, although kodan I would permit and might love. Maybe the dwarves start breeding again? Lol.

New race

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Zaxares, Horizons did (and does) let you play a dragon. Not exactly serpentoid, but not bipedal either. You start as a hatchling, go on a huge quest to grow and get wings (yes, you can fly), and then another huge quest to get full grown (dragons are very big). You also can quest to get a bipedal lizardish form, human sized, to fit in buildings.

New race

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Largos please. They are awesome. Tengu is the most likely to appear though.

New race

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Very unlikely. Due to their stance on expansions. Don’t even expect this years down the road maybe after GW2 10th anniversary.

Devona’s Rest

New race

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Very unlikely. Due to their stance on expansions. Don’t even expect this years down the road maybe after GW2 10th anniversary.

That’s actually not true. In a recent interview they specifically said they were going to add new zones, races, etc….everything you’d expect from an expansion. They just didn’t say how they planned on releasing it….through an expansion, through the LS, through the gem store (bleh, I really hope not that choice).

edit for quotes from interview:
“The thing that we haven’t decided yet,” he went on, "is what form that type of content will take. Is it right for Guild Wars 2 for that kind of boxed expansion? Is it right for that to be something we add, live, through storylines in the game? Is that something we want to sell through our in-game store? There are a lot of different options available to us.

“… but we absolutely are going to do sweeping new features that you would traditionally only get in expansions – large regions, content and progression additions to your characters in the form of growth and professions and races. Those are all things that you will see in the lifespan of Guild Wars 2.”

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

New race

Posted by: Kimhyuna.1035

Kimhyuna.1035

This man knows whats up.
Put ideas of new races and new classes out of your mind people.

Minion

New race

Brutal Augus.5917

That’s actually not true. In a recent interview they specifically said they were going to add new zones, races, etc….everything you’d expect from an expansion. They just didn’t say how they planned on releasing it….through an expansion, through the LS, through the gem store (bleh, I really hope not that choice).

edit for quotes from interview:
“The thing that we haven’t decided yet,” he went on, "is what form that type of content will take. Is it right for Guild Wars 2 for that kind of boxed expansion? Is it right for that to be something we add, live, through storylines in the game? Is that something we want to sell through our in-game store? There are a lot of different options available to us.

“… but we absolutely are going to do sweeping new features that you would traditionally only get in expansions – large regions, content and progression additions to your characters in the form of growth and professions and races. Those are all things that you will see in the lifespan of Guild Wars 2.”

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

New race

Posted by: vonbladewing.5973

vonbladewing.5973

Well i seen this on Tumble today sooo this might be cool

http://25.media.tumblr.com/91d6df08cc70ba52b4839f74226bc319/tumblr_mzlz0xlcCg1rq2nbko1_500.jpg

A Lizard type race that has a French/Italian like Culture

and with a new Professions: Musketeer

On top of that a new weapon grenade launcher Crossbow like weapon

Captain Commander of a Sky Edge Piracy

New race

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Not that it will happen but dwarves could be done.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

New race

imsoenthused.1634

Dwarves became one with the Great Dwarf and are locked in eternal combat with the minions of Primordus beneath the earth, as living stone statue embodiments of their god. I’m amazed they allowed even one of them, Ogden, to remain on the surface, much less letting enough of them abandon their sworn, holy duty to run around as player characters. I’d say that ship has sailed.

New race

Posted by: Winecandy.1530

Winecandy.1530

Dwarves became one with the Great Dwarf and are locked in eternal combat with the minions of Primordus beneath the earth, as living stone statue embodiments of their god. I’m amazed they allowed even one of them, Ogden, to remain on the surface, much less letting enough of them abandon their sworn, holy duty to run around as player characters. I’d say that ship has sailed.

What if Primordus and his minions come to the surface in the LS. The dwarves have to follow them to fight. And maybe relieves the god all the dwarves from their stone statues when they step on the surface.

New race

imsoenthused.1634

What if Primordus and his minions come to the surface in the LS. The dwarves have to follow them to fight. And maybe relieves the god all the dwarves from their stone statues when they step on the surface.

Seems like it would be a really convoluted badly written way of getting around lore. Especially since there are plenty of other races that wouldn’t require any of that to make playable.

New race

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Splugorth Slavers (see pic).

I’d like to see some half-breeds like human-charr, or human-norn. After all, the species are in the game as ‘races’, rather than ‘species’ so interbreeding may be possible. Except for the Sylvari of course.

Attachments:

New race

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Tengu seem the most likely choice of next playable race; but how about – in connection with an eventual return to Cantha – Anet went a little outside the comfort zone and revived the Wardens (GW1 wiki).

250 years have passed; Shiro is “gone” so maybe they can see past their somewhat limited role as Protectors of the Echovald Forest and are no longer zealous/mad about their intent to take it all out on humans but maybe for a plot in Cantha they can have Echovald as their starting zones and from there move out into the world.

They would look quite unique in character creation and are a humanoid (formerly human) race and maybe prove an interesting alternative to Sylvari as another “forest people” without Anet having to introduce the stereotypical elves/dwarves.

In my opinion for the GW universe; anyone asking for elves/dwarves; WoW → that way or LotRo <- that way… embrace the fact that dwarves are extinct and elves are non-existant.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

New race

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

mmmm Dondarrion I like that- I like that a lot

Gunnar’s Hold

New race

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Cat people (ala FFXIV)?

We have cat people. While developing the charr, (especially the females), the devs decidedly went as far as they could from the stereotypical human who just happens to have cat ears and tail.

The races in Guild Wars use archetypes, but avoid stereotypes.

I agree, though, most of the GW2 universe is just a copy from GW1, which is the game that is deserving of all compliments. GW1 had the great lore and races. That isn’t a credit of GW2 and the new Anet.

GW2 itself is stereotype as it can get, watch the living story and the personal one.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

New race

Sirendor.1394

Tengu seem the most likely choice of next playable race; but how about – in connection with an eventual return to Cantha – Anet went a little outside the comfort zone and revived the Wardens (GW1 wiki).

250 years have passed; Shiro is “gone” so maybe they can see past their somewhat limited role as Protectors of the Echovald Forest and are no longer zealous/mad about their intent to take it all out on humans but maybe for a plot in Cantha they can have Echovald as their starting zones and from there move out into the world.

They would look quite unique in character creation and are a humanoid (formerly human) race and maybe prove an interesting alternative to Sylvari as another “forest people” without Anet having to introduce the stereotypical elves/dwarves.

In my opinion for the GW universe; anyone asking for elves/dwarves; WoW -> that way or LotRo <- that way… embrace the fact that dwarves are extinct and elves are non-existant.

Who says we’ll see only 1 race unlocked in expansion? Maybe we might get multiple & multiple classes. I think only 1 race and class for 1 expansion would be pretty much a letdown anyways.

New race

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Who says we’ll see only 1 race unlocked in expansion? Maybe we might get multiple & multiple classes. I think only 1 race and class for 1 expansion would be pretty much a letdown anyways.

True; I wasn’t saying it’s one or the other, just suggesting the Wardens as an alternative to the usual suspects we see whenever talking about playable races. The devs (going with Colin’s statements previously) have been thinking about adding new playable races, but not many at a time according to an interview. Thus, I’m thinking Tengu likely to show up a lot sooner than we get a Cantha expansion. And for a Cantha expansion, possibly the Wardens…

Just imagine; Wardens as new playable race and of course they bring with them Ritualists (ok, I’ll dream on outside the forum…)

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

New race

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

Kodan would be a perfect race for a 3rd heavy armor class.

Largos look awsome tough.

New race

Sirendor.1394

True; I wasn’t saying it’s one or the other, just suggesting the Wardens as an alternative to the usual suspects we see whenever talking about playable races. The devs (going with Colin’s statements previously) have been thinking about adding new playable races, but not many at a time according to an interview. Thus, I’m thinking Tengu likely to show up a lot sooner than we get a Cantha expansion. And for a Cantha expansion, possibly the Wardens…

Just imagine; Wardens as new playable race and of course they bring with them Ritualists (ok, I’ll dream on outside the forum…)

I loved ritualists though! Damage, healing, anything.

New race

Posted by: Nat.4029

Nat.4029

I’m being hopeful here. When they release Elona content, they can add Djinn as a playable race. I’d love to have a Djinn elementalist.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/thumb/b/b1/%22Delta_Djinn%22_concept_art_2.jpg/200px-%22Delta_Djinn%22_concept_art_2.jpg

I think it would be a cool race. Especially since Anet wants to be so different than all other MMOs. This is definitely not a race that you’ll find in any other games.

Valar Morghulis

(edited by Nat.4029)

New race

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Hey everyone, I feel like GW2 needs a new race. I was wondering what you all think, and what would be a good race for them to make. (If it would ever happen) I personally think that a half elf would be cool (half human half elf) what are your thoughts?

Well, first they would have to add Elves, you do know it is Guild Wars you are playing, right?

Personally I want Tengu, I am eager to make an Avicara Brave.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

New race

Posted by: Sanutamar.2136

Sanutamar.2136

I personally would love to be able to play as the Largos. They’re very interesting to me.