New to GW2, not having fun

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nyawk.7834

Nyawk.7834

Hello. I am an experienced mmorpg player and I’ve played all the big games so far. I’m new in GW2 (joined about 2 months ago) and so far I got 3 characters to lv80 and im working on another one atm. Unfortunately for me too the game is nothing close to fun, even though I got into it with so much excitement after all the comments and videos I’ve watched prior to purchasing. A couple of things that spoil the fun for me: the grindfest! its simply horrible and unrewarding (worst I’ve experienced in an mmo). Dungeon grouping! there is a general lack of direction when it comes to roles in a group environment and it tends to be very disappointing to new players who find themselves in a downed state all the time. It’s made me feel hopeless and helpless several times and that was even in the early dungeons where the game should be very forgiving. The world feels amazingly small and boring. The lore is plain boring for me, so much that I skip all cut scenes and dialogues. Crafting and gathering, also very dull (after playing ffxiv arr its going to be hard to find better or equal crafting/gathering). Gearing! From what I’ve seen so far (correct me if im wrong), gearing is horrible since basically you have two tiers of gear to choose from which is exotic and the upgrade, ascended. What I hate is that for example a karma berzerker exotic sword and a dungeon token exotic sword come with exactly the same stats and after that its all about different skins with no difference statwise. And finally I find ridiculous how the legendary weapon crafting concept works. You spend hundreds upon hundreds of gold and time to grind mats for a weapon with stats that are the same as an ascended weapon and all you truly get is a shiny skin I have played a bit WvW and it was also boring, basically all I did was follow a huge zerg in a map and capture bases and occasionally fought with enemy zergs in battles that werent remotely fun. I havent done any pvp yet so I dunno how that works. No healers, no tanks, no dps, everyone is everything and everyone has to take care of themselves. I understand anet wanted to try a new approach but for me this is not working good. Sure some classes can support the group with some abilities but it’s minimal. I havent felt once that feeling of “bonding” with my group, like you have my back and I have yours. It’s everyone for themselves. Anyway that’s how it has been for me so far, I hope the expansion will make it more interesting somehow. I wanted to get addicted to this game for many reasons..

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Sure, you can farm for hours to get it, but who has time for that in a “casual” game?

Plenty of people actually….

800 gems = ~160g

Definitely farmable if you really like that outfit. Heck I’ve spent more on a single dye.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I guess the problem is that pretty much all the music in the game was made by Jeremy Soule, whom I can’t imagine doing anything but classical.

Some metal or even techno will fit the game well in places though, like when Aetherblades turn up.

Soule is no longer doing the music (not since LS S1 I believe). They have an in-house team now (which did all of Season 2 and most of Season 1), that have done an exceptional job at the game’s new evolving setting. Soule’s issue, I’ve noticed, is that he writes very context sensitive to the visuals of region/map. Without the accompanying visual, a lot of the songs don’t have a lot going on to them. But this new team, while not having made as many as far as I know, have produced very good tracks that not only accompany the ambiance and visual of the areas, but stand up a lot better on their own.

You can check out all the new team’s stuff here.
https://soundcloud.com/arenanet

Lower down the list theres the iconic “Battle on the Breach Make”, “Twisted Marionette”, Bazaar of the 4 Winds, and Sanctum Sprint. SAB is also in there (assuming you can survive the nostalgia bomb).

Composer list by song.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Soundtrack

But back to Soule’s stuff. The new songs added for GW2 are actually scoring higher on average compared to the first game. I’ve been thinking about it for the past 3 years, but the only theory I kind of feel may be the reason is how humans tend to remember single chords the strongest. This is a trait common to good tracks in both the new and old sets, in that no matter how complex the piece is, its relatively easy to follow the main chord progression as series of single notes.

But you’re right… Jeremy Soule has a very distinctive style he has trouble breaking away from. But I think his brother helped compose the GW2 soundtrack; which may explain why it turned out the way it did.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

They will add variety of skills in the new expansion. You will have more skills, but will they be boring as existing ones ?

Posted by: SenorMoody.5908

SenorMoody.5908

For me the game gets boring for two reasons:

1. PVE is extremely repetitive and uninteresting, with extremely boring rewards.

- Levels 1-80, the goal is the get XP and level up. Which involves doing boring, repetitive hearts, map completion, or world events. While doing these things I often find myself in a Zombie state, or autodrive mode. Just absentmindedly pressing buttions and moving on to the next thing that will get me XP.

- After level 80 is reached, the goal then become to gear up and get cool stuff. This is where the game fails miserably for me. The drop rate on all the coolest things that I want are so impossibly low, that there is almost no hope to get them through random drops. That leaves only one option. Mindless, monotonous grinding for gold, and buying it on the TP. < not my idea of fun in anyway.

2. Elitism is getting pretty bad in this game.

- While GW2 community is certainly not the worst I’ve ever experienced… (cough SWTOR) … it’s definitely not the best gaming community out there.

- Dungeon Runners (not all) are the worst. I love running dungeons in MMOs. I find them fun and exciting and rewarding. But here, Elitism rules the dungeons: You must be full zerker! You must be level 80! You must have run this path 1000 times before! You must skip everything and speedrun! And the worst one, You must have 8000+ AP! < lol what the heck does AP have to do with anything?

- This kind of thing is far too common in this game and completely kills my joy for Dungeons. Rather than feed the Leets, I just avoid Dungeons as much as I can.

The game is ok in small doses, but it quickly loses its appeal for me because of those two reasons.

Wish it, Want it, Do it!

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

You get bored because you play to much of it, take a break.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: Truefrost.6815

Truefrost.6815

I do admit there are many problems for the game, I could also make points about the awesome stuff the game offers, HOWEVER… I’m going to save myself the time. Take it from someone who’s played 30+ MMOs, beta tests for fun and just generally has a passion for MMOs in general. Every person is different and thus has different tastes in MMOs, just gotta find the right one.

I will mention, I find the grouping to be very appealing in this game, I dislike having to rely on a healer/tank in other MMOs. But you still keep that team work aspect… Yeah, in pugs you can pretty much just expect every man for himself, but when you have a premade group (AKA friends or guildies) It’s a lot different and more fun. I also find 50 scale fractals to have far more reliable people who work A LOT better together.

Server: Yak’s Bend | Main: Aliah Raheim
Necro main since beta, MMO fanatic and avid beta tester.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

What are you even grinding? I’ve been playing since headstart and never felt like I was grinding.

Granted, I’ve never actually played explorable mode dungeons (apart from fractals) so maybe that’s where that was.

But more on topic, the point of legendary weapons IS the skin. The stat bonus is just extra incentive they added later. Having all exotic gear be equal allows for the endgame to essentially be collecting skins and looking nice. Which tbh is much better than “BE MORE STRONGER” but that’s just my opinion.

Posted by: Truefrost.6815

Truefrost.6815

What are you even grinding? I’ve been playing since headstart and never felt like I was grinding.

Granted, I’ve never actually played explorable mode dungeons (apart from fractals) so maybe that’s where that was.

But more on topic, the point of legendary weapons IS the skin. The stat bonus is just extra incentive they added later. Having all exotic gear be equal allows for the endgame to essentially be collecting skins and looking nice. Which tbh is much better than “BE MORE STRONGER” but that’s just my opinion.

Hah! That’s actually one of the main reasons I dislike modern MMOs, having to go through the motions every expansion to get new gear just feels silly. I really hope this Mastery system works out, I think there is far better ways to expand a character then new shiny gear.

Server: Yak’s Bend | Main: Aliah Raheim
Necro main since beta, MMO fanatic and avid beta tester.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This thread makes little sense. It seems half the posts are missing. That, or posts were merged in from somewhere else.

Sorry, OP, you find the game boring. It’s not like other MMOs, and I can’t tell if you haven’t found it boring enough to forego buying HoT, or just waiting for others’ experience with it.

Either way, good luck.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

You can change the music track and add your own custom play lists here is how you do it:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Customized_soundtrack

Read everything very carefully to get this to work I haven’t tried it because I like the sound track just the way it is but if you need a change the go for it

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: neonis.3974

neonis.3974

Hello. I am an experienced mmorpg player and I’ve played all the big games so far. I’m new in GW2 (joined about 2 months ago) and so far I got 3 characters to lv80 and im working on another one atm. Unfortunately for me too the game is nothing close to fun, even though I got into it with so much excitement after all the comments and videos I’ve watched prior to purchasing. A couple of things that spoil the fun for me: the grindfest! its simply horrible and unrewarding (worst I’ve experienced in an mmo). Dungeon grouping! there is a general lack of direction when it comes to roles in a group environment and it tends to be very disappointing to new players who find themselves in a downed state all the time. It’s made me feel hopeless and helpless several times and that was even in the early dungeons where the game should be very forgiving. The world feels amazingly small and boring. The lore is plain boring for me, so much that I skip all cut scenes and dialogues. Crafting and gathering, also very dull (after playing ffxiv arr its going to be hard to find better or equal crafting/gathering). Gearing! From what I’ve seen so far (correct me if im wrong), gearing is horrible since basically you have two tiers of gear to choose from which is exotic and the upgrade, ascended. What I hate is that for example a karma berzerker exotic sword and a dungeon token exotic sword come with exactly the same stats and after that its all about different skins with no difference statwise. And finally I find ridiculous how the legendary weapon crafting concept works. You spend hundreds upon hundreds of gold and time to grind mats for a weapon with stats that are the same as an ascended weapon and all you truly get is a shiny skin I have played a bit WvW and it was also boring, basically all I did was follow a huge zerg in a map and capture bases and occasionally fought with enemy zergs in battles that werent remotely fun. I havent done any pvp yet so I dunno how that works. No healers, no tanks, no dps, everyone is everything and everyone has to take care of themselves. I understand anet wanted to try a new approach but for me this is not working good. Sure some classes can support the group with some abilities but it’s minimal. I havent felt once that feeling of “bonding” with my group, like you have my back and I have yours. It’s everyone for themselves. Anyway that’s how it has been for me so far, I hope the expansion will make it more interesting somehow. I wanted to get addicted to this game for many reasons..

Sorry but this is a nightmare to read.

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

1. PVE is extremely repetitive and uninteresting, with extremely boring rewards.

- Levels 1-80, the goal is the get XP and level up. Which involves doing boring, repetitive hearts, map completion, or world events. While doing these things I often find myself in a Zombie state, or autodrive mode. Just absentmindedly pressing buttions and moving on to the next thing that will get me XP.

- After level 80 is reached, the goal then become to gear up and get cool stuff. This is where the game fails miserably for me. The drop rate on all the coolest things that I want are so impossibly low, that there is almost no hope to get them through random drops. That leaves only one option. Mindless, monotonous grinding for gold, and buying it on the TP. < not my idea of fun in anyway.

- While GW2 community is certainly not the worst I’ve ever experienced… (cough SWTOR) … it’s definitely not the best gaming community out there.

- Dungeon Runners (not all) are the worst. I love running dungeons in MMOs. I find them fun and exciting and rewarding. But here, Elitism rules the dungeons: You must be full zerker! You must be level 80! You must have run this path 1000 times before! You must skip everything and speedrun! And the worst one, You must have 8000+ AP! < lol what the heck does AP have to do with anything?

- This kind of thing is far too common in this game and completely kills my joy for Dungeons. Rather than feed the Leets, I just avoid Dungeons as much as I can.

The game is ok in small doses, but it quickly loses its appeal for me because of those two reasons.

There are plenty of anyone welcome/casual/play how you want type runs. Don’t see one? Start one yourself.

I’m for letting people play how they want without criticism weather that be speed or anyone welcome/casual/play how you want. Unfortunately I see a lot of bashing coming from the anyone welcome/casual/play how you want side aimed at the speed side (ironic).

Just find players that play in the same way that you do and enjoy. Don’t try to shove yourself into a party that doesn’t want your playstyle, that’s what causes problems.

I’ve played a lot of mmo’s and this one is one of the better ones when it comes to having a selection of play styles in parties.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I am not a fan of 100% of the music but I do believe the “techno” approach would be mostly out of place (or perhaps I don’t play enough “modern” MMOs.) Also, this game’s music doesn’t sound Classical to me, with few exceptions (I am a “classical” musician.) More like thematic movie music if anything, which fits the game fine, IMHO.

Compared to most games, this game has “zero” relative grind. I made a new character recently, and even with mostly Rare gear it does fine (just 5 Exotic trinkets.) Besides Ascended/Legendary and a few hard to get skins, I don’t see this grind-at least not for anything related to enjoying the game/progressing further.

The current system isn’t perfect (DPS being too attractive with very few current cons) but what the OP seems to find fault with is more of a shock, coming from other games with established, hard roles. GW2 is not at fault , because from its iteration it was meant to defy such expectations.

No one needs a Legendary-it’s a self-imposed grind, that gives many players long term goals to strive for, which is fine. I do not like how you currently obtain it either, but I can understand the appeal of THAT particular grind to some players.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Sorry but this is a nightmare to read.

I agree…

Also: "A couple of things that spoil the fun for me: the grindfest! ", lol please, go and play Runescape, in fact even more so, go play Runescape classic! Now that was pure grind loving…..

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Teevell.1684

Teevell.1684

Yeah, this game isn’t for you. Everything you listed is a hallmark of this game: no gear treadmill, no holy trinity, being able to get gear however you want (dungeons, pvp, crafting, buying it off TP), and when it comes to leveling the journey is as important as the destination. Basically this game isn’t a rush to level 80 so you can grind a bunch of dungeons so you’re able to grind even more dungeons.

It sounds like you love everything about the standard MMO, and all the things that GW2 tried to modify/do without. So yeah, unless you can break out of that frame of mind, this game isn’t for you. But at least you gave it a try.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Yeah, this game isn’t for you. Everything you listed is a hallmark of this game: no gear treadmill, no holy trinity, being able to get gear however you want (dungeons, pvp, crafting, buying it off TP), and when it comes to leveling the journey is as important as the destination. Basically this game isn’t a rush to level 80 so you can grind a bunch of dungeons so you’re able to grind even more dungeons.

It sounds like you love everything about the standard MMO, and all the things that GW2 tried to modify/do without. So yeah, unless you can break out of that frame of mind, this game isn’t for you. But at least you gave it a try.

+1 to you good Sir (I hope) as you said everything I should have said.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Gw2 grind is nowhere near as bad as any other mmo ive played, like perfect world for example which is also pay to win.

Yeah gw2 can be boring & repetitive but take a break if it gets like that. It’s not meant to be played through once, then forever forgotten or 100% exciting 24/7 which I’m sure anet wouldn’t mind doing if they could.
They tried to do things that a typical mmo doesnt have, so looks to me your typical mmo was better for you.

If dungeon elitism is a problem for you or anyone, then make your own casual group.

Posted by: Kosmo.5187

Kosmo.5187

I find that Teevell is simplifying this a bit too much, especially when put in the context that Guild Wars 2 also pushed to make it less cumbersome to level, thus reducing the “journey” that’s spoken of. No game has gotten anything perfect yet, and this is no exception. It seems to me they went halfway with many systems, or at the very least they focused on basically taking common systems from other games and just removing a few tedious things from them.

Most MMORPGs are about combat. They revolve around it, the gear for it, and so on. Yet for many of them, Guild Wars 2 included, combat can be mind numbing. In addition, many MMOs end up further dumbing down content to the point where it barely requires your attention anymore. They usually say it’s to appeal to a wider audience, but in reality I feel it’s a valid criticism that it actually stops appealing to a subset of the players who play it – even if they maybe stick with it.

As far as music goes, I actually find it interesting that it’s mentioned here. Before taking a break from the game, I made the post linked below. Lots of people find music to be a huge part of atmosphere creation and it can really augment the feel of the game. Unfortunately this post died a horrible death in the old (rarely visited) Audio forum.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/audio/Music-distinctiveness-and-use-as-emphasis/

I’m always surprised when people downplay it or purport to replace it with their own stuff. That’s like taking a TV show and pasting cardboard characters on your screen from other shows because you liked them better. A game is a package, an experience, and some people think that it should be consumed in that context. That’s not odd. It’s also why the “Oh, it’s not hard enough? Play with one hand behind your back, eyes closed, with no armor or weapons and solo 4 champions” solution to the easy difficulty is always so bad. The game should mandate the challenge, not the player.

Think of the possibilities.

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

Or you could break the chain and create your own group?

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

For someone claiming to have played “the big mmos” around, you sure seem quick to plaster the “grindfest” tag on a game that has maybe THREE things it applies to, none of which are too impactful.

Also, I noticed your somewhat carefully worded complaint about no trinity in dungeons, and likely the game by extension. That’s gonna be a big kitten moment for ya. This game never had the trinity those other games you claim to have played have. That’s a big draw of the game.

Posted by: Elodium.7263

Elodium.7263

Bored? Dont like it?

Just leave, none is forcing you to play. Why would you play a game that you dont find fun.

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

From what i gather based on the OP’s post, he likes gear treadmills and he likes the old Tank – Healer – DPS trinity. So GW2 is not the game for him.

There’s nothing wrong with him liking those things, but I’m not sure what ever made him think that GW2 is the game for him. Any comments and videos he watched/read likely would’ve mentioned the above two things since they are considered a feature of the game.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

It is no point to complain in a vegetarian restaurant that you find no meat in your dish.

OP, this is just not a game for you, simple as is.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Honestly, while I agree, I wonder whether we’re mostly just witnessing a struggle against a dying concept as far as GW2 is concerned.

I don’t think the devs are concerned much with dungeons ATM. Which would be understandable in the sense that if they can make their open world work – and theirs works better than any competitor’s, even if it still has plenty issues – then the “bandaid” (it was a bandaid, after all) of instancing small caverns is no longe required.

Much like a separate endgame gameplay, usually of cycling gear tiers vs stronger enemies, instancing of dungeons was something thought up to solve another problem via sidestepping it entirely. If we can actually solve the issue, that’d be pretty cool.

Not sure ANet is close enough yet, but hey, at least someone is trying to bring the genre forward.

The dungeon elitism is, IMO, a reaction to how casual and easygoing GW2 is. Players who revel in bragging rights and elitism, even if subconsciously, crave this in GW2, as they’re starved of it for the most part. The game just doesn’t provide anything for it in PvE (sPvP and WvW have leaderboards during tournaments, so there’s some way to show off there).
So they resort to dungeon-running and excluding “the scrubs”. It works as far as providing elitism is concerned, as it edged virtually everyone else out of pugged dungeons, in turn making “I run dungeons all the time!” a bragging right in its own regard. Just not a good one. :P

Frankly, I don’t run dungeons outside of guild groups simply because I don’t want to be associated with the pug people who run dungeons. And I hope that ultimately, ANet rather invests the resources into further improving open world and (please please please?) WvW systems instead of “wasting” time on something which was just a quick fix in the beginning.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I know that it is your opinion so I am not going to say that you are wrong. But in my opinion you are playing GW2 with totaly the wrong eyes.

I have played GW2 since headstart and I am still enjoying the game. The most important part is that you should not try to see a new WoW or a WoW-clone in GW2 becouse it isn’t and it is not supposed to be. In this game there are no heavy gear threadmill or specific roles that you need for a dungeon, we still can play different roles like healer, CC, DPS and Tanky and do a good job. The popular option is though Berzerk. A game is not about to always level up and find new gear and get “stronger”, and why I choose to do “Stronger” is becouse every other MMO where you get new gear and get stronger you actually do not get stronger they only give you a reason to farm for better gear so you can compleate the new content added. In this way you are forced to farm.

Now you spoke of that this game is a grind fest? Well it sure isn’t. The Legendary for example is supposed to be Legendary it is something that will take you years to obtain, if you do not enjoy farming for it then don’t do it. Play the game and someday you will hopefully get a Precursor drop and have enough mats to craft it. I have yet to get a precursor drop but I do have all mats I need for a Legendary and I havent grinded or farmed in this game becouse I find it booring. So in this game you are never forced to farm or grind anything (Except Dungeons and fractals).

About Casual content, time has nothing to do with being a casual player.

And now to compare other MMO’s, I usually play healer classes in other MMO’s and most of them I have ended up standing at a special spot looking at all my downloaded UI stuff an healed the ones that needs it with different healing depending of need, I rarely participated in the actual combat and after playing GW2 I can’t go back to other MMO’s again as I get so boored. In GW2 I also play different types, my Guardian for example I have a full Ascended Zerker gear so I can dish out damage but for some bosses in fractals (Like Mai Trin) I change to Cleric becouse I can take alot of her damage and force her to stand in the electric fields. When I play dungeons I don’t go every man for themselfes, I give support and boons to the ones that are havy aggroed, with my guardian I even heal with all my symbols, meditations and dodgerolls even when I play berzerker. I don’t do much but I do enough help my team. Most of my classes has some way of helping my team, I think my ranger is the only one who isn’t very helpful.

Anyway, if you don’t find the game fun… Why not stop playing it? I mean I played WoW to level 59 before BC and for 3 years ago I tried the trial of the game and I played for 20min max and I just didn’t enjoy it. I have played ESO for about 2 hours and SWToR for 3 Hours becouse I didn’t enjoy them. I can’t let go of GW2 and I don’t want it to be another WoW-clone so please don’t try to change it to one.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

the grindfest! its simply horrible and unrewarding (worst I’ve experienced in an mmo).

Are you talking about grinding for gold, grinding for levels, or grinding for special items?

Dungeon grouping! there is a general lack of direction when it comes to roles in a group environment

Not a whole lot of thought was put into dungeon roles in GW2. They wanted to get rid of the constant “LF Monk” spam from GW1, and make all classes flexible in what role they want to play. But the design is not entirely solid, which is why the game seems to revolve purely around dealing damage at the moment. This makes dungeons, and combat in general, very tedious. Hopefully this will be addressed in Heart of Thorns.

and it tends to be very disappointing to new players who find themselves in a downed state all the time. It’s made me feel hopeless and helpless several times and that was even in the early dungeons where the game should be very forgiving.

The dungeons were rushed, and are very sloppy in this game. There is no real difficulty curve to them, which makes them very inconsistent in difficulty, and very unfriendly to new players. This criticism is entirely valid.

The world feels amazingly small and boring. The lore is plain boring for me, so much that I skip all cut scenes and dialogues.

Guild Wars 1 had a very rich lore, but with GW2 a lot of the edges seem to have been removed. All races kind of feel the same, and bland. And yes, the cut scenes and dialogue, in the personal story are best skipped. It’s incredibly dull. Its better in the Living Story though.

Crafting and gathering, also very dull (after playing ffxiv arr its going to be hard to find better or equal crafting/gathering).

Agreed. GW2’s crafting could use a big overhaul. It just doesn’t feel fun or rewarding.

Gearing! From what I’ve seen so far (correct me if im wrong), gearing is horrible since basically you have two tiers of gear to choose from which is exotic and the upgrade, ascended.

It’s less about the stats in GW2, and more about the looks. But the disadvantage of this, is that there is very little tinkering with equipment to look forward to.

What I hate is that for example a karma berzerker exotic sword and a dungeon token exotic sword come with exactly the same stats and after that its all about different skins with no difference statwise.

This is by design. But I do agree that it feels a bit unrewarding when you never really feel like you are getting stronger. This is a bit of a flaw with the game, that already existed in GW1.

And finally I find ridiculous how the legendary weapon crafting concept works. You spend hundreds upon hundreds of gold and time to grind mats for a weapon with stats that are the same as an ascended weapon and all you truly get is a shiny skin

Crafting legendaries is an unholy blight upon the game, and I have not bothered with that tedious grind for but a second in all the years that I’ve been playing this game. What an inexcusable grind. So yes, I’m totally with you on that point.

I have played a bit WvW and it was also boring, basically all I did was follow a huge zerg in a map and capture bases and occasionally fought with enemy zergs in battles that werent remotely fun.

There’s more to it on a more organized level. But yes, most of the time you’ll just find zergs roaming the map, obliterating smaller zergs, and capturing bases over and over again. WvW is severely lacking in actual strategy, because most of the time the teams aren’t equal, so it’s blob against bigger blob.

No healers, no tanks, no dps, everyone is everything and everyone has to take care of themselves.

Which would be fine, if it worked. But what we have right now is mostly just DPS, and that’s it.

I havent felt once that feeling of “bonding” with my group, like you have my back and I have yours. It’s everyone for themselves.

This is something that GW1 did have, due to inter-class reliance, and it has to be said: because of the trinity.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

And this compared to other MMO’s where most exp are earned from doing repetative Quests only.

And this compared to other MMO’s where most gear you grind for will finally be absolete and you have to grind for new gear. In GW2 you atleast get to have the skins you have found forever. Why not play the game to enjoy the content rather than play the game to earn stuff or be better than someone else? I never played Super Mario Bros. to find the best gear or new skins, I played SMB to enjoy the game. So if I find a Task (Heart) or an Event that isn’t fun I don’t do it and I continue on.

Personally I don’t really see a difference on these or other forums, it’s always the same stuff.

I don’t like them iether, but if I have to PUG I do my own LFG but I often play with friends or Guildies and I almost alway “lead” and I always get the ‘How do you want me to play?’ question and I go ‘Exactly how you want’.

Actually my “fear” of playing with PUGs comes from other MMOs, not until I quite recently started playing with PUGs in GW2 I have started to see that it is not that bad. Elitist are in every game and if you fail in another game it is just as bad. Try play a healer in another MMO and see what happens if someone dies in your team (Even if it wasn’t your fault)

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Jai.3058

Jai.3058

I agree with most of it, because im a WvWer. i came from WoW – SWToR – GW2. i find some of the worst communities here. i cant PvE its a complete grind and PvP i can do but it becomes repetitive. i agree the lack of roles is confusing at first, i also hope HoT will bring something new or i may move on or back to another game. i need Diversity or something new. even after my couple thousand hours… my dedication is fading.

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

There are plenty of anyone welcome/casual/play how you want type runs. Don’t see one? Start one yourself.

I’m for letting people play how they want without criticism weather that be speed or anyone welcome/casual/play how you want. Unfortunately I see a lot of bashing coming from the anyone welcome/casual/play how you want side aimed at the speed side (ironic).

Just find players that play in the same way that you do and enjoy. Don’t try to shove yourself into a party that doesn’t want your playstyle, that’s what causes problems.

I’ve played a lot of mmo’s and this one is one of the better ones when it comes to having a selection of play styles in parties.

Unfortunately, it is not exactly that simple. Let me give you an example of my last casual dungeon I ran. I joined party with description “casual, non speed run p3” (it was CM btw). All right, I get in. The last to join was thief. ( funny fact: I have never seen CM party without thief). We start doing dungeon and people are stealthing and skipping everything. I didn’t want to complain immediately, but then we got a bit over half dungeon and then I asked “wasn’t this group advertised as non speed run? I get reply: Yeah, but we have thief now, so…”
That was the stupidest thing I heard in a while.

Just so you won’t say this is one exception or rare thing, check out this thread I made not that long ago: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/People-are-not-reading-LFG/first#post5110869

So, even tho I have spend a lot of hours in gw2, I have to agree with people who say dungeon experience is terrible for anyone but speedrunners.
Also it’s not just dungeons, it’s also world events. Anyone remember Marrionette event? People there were just horrible, they insulted each other because event failed. I understand some people could do a better job of using their brains, but still, such filthy chat that I’ve seen there…. So, yeah, community is not all that as some make it out to be.

(edited by serialkicker.5274)

Aberrant.6749

Unfortunately, it is not exactly that simple. Let me give you an example of my last casual dungeon I ran. I joined party with description “casual, non speed run p3” (it was CM btw). All right, I get in. The last to join was thief. ( funny fact: I have never seen CM party without thief). We start doing dungeon and people are stealthing and skipping everything. I didn’t want to complain immediately, but then we got a bit over half dungeon and then I asked “wasn’t this group advertised as non speed run? I get reply: Yeah, but we have thief now, so…”

Just so you won’t say this is one exception or rare thing, check out this thread I made not that long ago: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/People-are-not-reading-LFG/first#post5110869

So, even tho I have spend a lot of hours in gw2, I have to agree with people who say dungeon experience is terrible for anyone but speedrunners.
Also it’s not just dungeons, it’s also world events. Anyone remember Marrionette event? People there were just horrible, they insulted each other because event failed. I understand some people could do a better job of using their brains, but still, such filthy chat that I’ve seen there…. So, yeah, community is not all that as some make it out to be.

I agree it would have been nice if they had said something when they decided they were going to do a lot of skipping, but again, the problem is that the type of players were mixed.

They were just skipping stuff because they had the option to. That in itself doesn’t make it a speed run. I still wouldn’t call it a speed run unless they were asking for you to change to a meta build zerk. The title didn’t say not skipping killing everything. Not a big deal overall imo.

As soon as you saw what they were doing, why didn’t you say something if you had a problem instead of waiting for half the run btw?

People not reading LFG’s = mixing of casuals and speedy types. To help prevent this I see a lot of the speedy type runs ask for gear links and ap which weeds out a lot of the problem (until the casual types come and complain that they are getting kicked out).

It’s very rare that I’ve ever seen a speedy type join a slower run then complain. Usually it’s more complaints that the group has wiped far too many times with little to no progression in the dungeon rather than some one wanting a very quick run. That’s more I don’t mind if this is a little slower but please at least be competent rather than omg the boss isn’t dead in 10 seconds.

From reading your other post, it sounds like you’re not specifically saying no skipping in your LFG title. That’s an important thing to include if that’s the type of run you wish. Most don’t consider casual to mean no skipping. Most just consider it to mean you don’t need to play meta.

I’ve done tons of dung runs with both speed and casuals and have had very few problems.

World/living story events do force casuals and non-casuals together and that causes issues. I agree with that part. Even then, at most I would usually just see things like “omg come on it’s not that hard” It was extremely rare when I would see verbal abuse, and when it did happen, people were called out on it. It’s not ALL rainbows and sunshine, but the vast majority of players are great.

Tarnished Coast

serialkicker.5274

I agree they probably should have said something when they decided they were going to do a lot of skipping, but again, the problem is that the type of players were mixed.

As soon as you saw what they were doing, why didn’t you say something if you had a problem instead of waiting for half the run?

They were just skipping stuff because they had the option to. That in itself doesn’t make it a speed run. I still wouldn’t call it a speed run unless they were asking for you to change to a meta build zerk. The title didn’t say not skipping killing everything. Not a big deal overall imo.

If they would play like they did in a real speedrun party, they would get kicked. So no, that was not speedrun. Plus his response clearly indicated that he wanted to go for no skipping first, but since we got thief, that changed, which is kittenbag move and unfair to people who joined because they wanted what description says. One thief is enough to tell you how you will play? Ok.
How long I stayed in dungeon and why doesn’t matter a bit. What matters is there was false advertisement. Would you like me posting speedrun LFG, but then I would start killing everything along my way? How about if that would happen to you regularly?

World/living story events do force casuals and non-casuals together and that causes issues. I agree with that part. Even then, at most I would usually just see things like “omg come on it’s not that hard” It was extremely rare when I would see verbal abuse, and when it did happen, people were called out on it. It’s not ALL rainbows and sunshine, but the vast majority of players are great.

This is obviously an opinion, because we all have different experiences, so I can’t say you’re wrong, but in my case, most players were not great.

(edited by serialkicker.5274)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

once again, me, the GW2 hater, has to step in to defend the game partially.

- grind: yes, you are correct here. The grind in GW2 is ridiculous as it worse than in any other game. You cannot really farm target-oriented, it is an endless scrounging of coppers and silvers basically.
- not performing well in dungeons: who said “beginner” dungeons should be very forgiving? You can practice pve in open world. And actually they are not hard – and their difficulty has nothing to do with roles. But I think here is the burried issue: apparently you think “other mmorpg” when playing, so you don´t really make good use of your abilities, maybe being used to having your behind saved by tanks and healers or being yourself the indestructible tank. To sum it up, no, dungeons aren´t really that hard.
- yes, the game is very skin-oriented when it comes to reward. That is different from other games of the genre, but whether that is good or bad is really a matter of taste.
- legendary grinding: yes, it is outright silly. Thing is, you don´t come across as someone who really cares for weapon skins and you know what crafting a legendary implies. I missed the part where someone forces you to do it – you only care about the stats and complain legendary is not better than ascended. Well, seems to me, there is a solution imbedded right there.

All in all, if you don´t start to think GW2 but “my other MMORPGs”, you will not enjoy it. If you cannot, then it is not your game.

Aberrant.6749

I agree they probably should have said something when they decided they were going to do a lot of skipping, but again, the problem is that the type of players were mixed.

As soon as you saw what they were doing, why didn’t you say something if you had a problem instead of waiting for half the run?

If they would play like they did in a real speedrun party, they would get kicked. So no, that was not speedrun. Plus his response clearly indicated that he wanted to go for no skipping first, but since we got thief, that changed, which is kittenbag move and unfair to people who joined because they wanted what description says. One thief is enough to tell you how you will play? Ok.
How long I stayed in dungeon and why doesn’t matter a bit. What matters is there was false advertisement. Would you like me posting speedrun LFG, but then I would start killing everything along my way? How about if that would happen to you regularly?

This is obviously an opinion, because we all have different experiences, so I can’t say you’re wrong, but in my case, most players were not great.

I joined party with description “casual, non speed run p3” does not mean no skipping to most people. Also sorry for editing my post a bunch, it’s a bad habit of mine to hit reply before I’m done with my reply lol

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

This is false. Those requirements are only there if you want to run with the elitists.
If you want to play with people like yourself and people that don’t care about these things you are free to do so.
Nobody is forcing anybody in speed clear elitist parties against their will.

I don’t remember telling any player “you MUST join me in COF p1 in full zerker gear and on a level 80”.
I am advertising a LFG asking for certain players who play a certain way. Don’t like it? don’t join it.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I run dungeons with my guild sometimes, but I almost never pug. The few times I do I write casual run, all welcome. I make it clear, by communicating before it starts, exactly what we’re going to do. It hasn’t failed yet.

However, running with my guild is still better.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

The dungeon elitism is, IMO, a reaction to how casual and easygoing GW2 is. Players who revel in bragging rights and elitism, even if subconsciously, crave this in GW2, as they’re starved of it for the most part. The game just doesn’t provide anything for it in PvE (sPvP and WvW have leaderboards during tournaments, so there’s some way to show off there).
So they resort to dungeon-running and excluding “the scrubs”. It works as far as providing elitism is concerned, as it edged virtually everyone else out of pugged dungeons, in turn making “I run dungeons all the time!” a bragging right in its own regard. Just not a good one. :P

Frankly, I don’t run dungeons outside of guild groups simply because I don’t want to be associated with the pug people who run dungeons. And I hope that ultimately, ANet rather invests the resources into further improving open world and (please please please?) WvW systems instead of “wasting” time on something which was just a quick fix in the beginning.

I seriously doubt this theory and would like to propose a much simpler counter:

The elitists farm the dungeons and thus want FAST and EASY runs without a hitch, without having to constantly res someone or having to type out huge volumes of text explaining each encounter.

I think they just want to set their mind on auto-pilot and run the dungeons as fast as possible to get their rewards and move on.

When I exclude people from my dungeon runs I don’t do it to make them feel bad or make myself feel better because I’m excluding someone – I do it because I don’t want bad players in my party and I want a fast and smooth run.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

serialkicker.5274

I joined party with description “casual, non speed run p3” does not mean no skipping to most people. Also sorry for editing my post a bunch, it’s a bad habit of mine to hit reply before I’m done with my reply lol

Did you check the link I provided? You will see there that I used “non skip” descriptions all the time and I got same results.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

OP, you just don’t get the game. The very stuff you quote as bad, some of us came here for.

The idea that legendary weapons are the same stats as ascended is music to my ears. It means if I don’t want one, I don’t have to get one. It’s completely optional. I have six, right now and the precursor for a 7th.

I love being able to enter a dungeon with anyone in my guild and not have to wait for a healer. In fact, having played healers in other games, and knowing I’d be forced to heal because no one else wanted to, I’m really glad that’s not required of me in this game.

In fact, I’ve played quite a few MMOs and thought most of them sucked, because of all the standard features, that I think are ridiculous. That’s how opinion works.

I don’t want to be forced into a narrow advancement path. I want to do what I want, when I want. I don’t have to have ascended gear if I don’t want to, and if I do want it, I can get it as a leisurely place, because it doesn’t gate content.

This is by design. This is one of the things I like about this game.

If you approach this game as WoW or Rift or SWToR, you’ll definitely have more of a problem with it. Of course, many people have problems with the genre standard, and are happy for an alternative.

Aberrant.6749

Did you check the link I provided? You will see there that I used “non skip” descriptions all the time and I got same results.

I read part of it as I’m going off to bed atm. My bad if I missed something while glancing over it.

If people not fully reading the LFG is problem for you then I would just make sure that everyone knows that you want a non-skip run when they join. I haven’t done non-skip runs in a long time so idk about that specific niche of casual runs now-a-days.

I still wouldn’t besmirch the general gw2 population for casual players not fully reading the full LFG title while trying to create a niche group though. They are just casual players after all.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

yet again, the word elitism is used completely incorrectly. Elitism is a mindest of being entitled to whatever because of belonging to a special group of people.

a) You must be full zerker! You must be level 80! You must have run this path 1000 times before! You must skip everything and speedrun! And the worst one, You must have 8000+ AP! => not elitism
b) You must be full zerker! You must be level 80! You must have run this path 1000 times before! You must skip everything and speedrun! And the worst one, You must have 8000+ AP! BUT I do not have to be any of those things because I am a [insert special group here] => elitism.

Posted by: Teevell.1684

Teevell.1684

I find that Teevell is simplifying this a bit too much, especially when put in the context that Guild Wars 2 also pushed to make it less cumbersome to level, thus reducing the “journey” that’s spoken of. No game has gotten anything perfect yet, and this is no exception. It seems to me they went halfway with many systems, or at the very least they focused on basically taking common systems from other games and just removing a few tedious things from them.

You make a good point, but you’re making it from the prospective of someone who has played for a while. Leveling is less cumbersome because vets want to get those alts leveled quick, and the game is three years old so there’s gonna be lots of alts. But remember when you were brand new? I have never enjoyed a first-time leveling experience more than I did in GW2. It didn’t feel like the game started at level 80 and if I stopped to read the quest text I’d be miles behind everyone else. Of course now I’m just like “why can’t this game have hierlooooooms” and I’m very grateful for my insta-20 scrolls, but I recognize that those are conveniences for people who have leveled a bunch of times already. And I’m still enjoying my leveling experience now more than I would if I was leveling alts in WoW.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

There is usually lot more continent in this game,just all the devs are working on the expansion atm,we used to get big events all the time.

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

If I had a gold coin for every thread where an OP complains this game sucks, to then never post in the thread again while the forum regulars argue semantics I’d have my retirement plan sorted.

Nice necro though.lol

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

Quit
Message Body length must at least be 15.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

and when it comes to leveling the journey is as important as the destination. Basically this game isn’t a rush to level 80 so you can grind a bunch of dungeons so you’re able to grind even more dungeons.

To be fair, in GW2 you grind through the zones to get level 80, only to turn around and continue to grind the same zones. Same idea, different flavor.

One of the biggest negative aspects of GW2 IMO, is the fact that they have levels at all. Some of the zones are very interesting, but you are either kitten because of low level traits, consistent gear grind while leveling, and going back at level 80 makes the zones boring due to ease.

GW2 would be so much better and flexible from a longevity standpoint if they removed levels and leveled zones and treated the game world like a sandbox.

(edited by BrooksP.4318)

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Well this thread is very confusing to follow. It’s like we have three threads of separate issues merged or something.

Grindfest? Really? Are you kidding me? What are you grinding? The only “grind” is for achievements or skins and are entirely optional. For the OP- did you talk to the other players in your dungeon group? The absolute worst thing for me is when a newbie joins a run, but never says a word. I can tell they’re struggling, offer to help/wait for them. Try to ask them if they’re new to the dungeon and….. Nothing. Then they quit at some point in the middle. This is actually happening quite frequently lately. There are absolutely roles in dungeons, just not healer, tank, dps. Ok, we do have dps. But support comes in other forms: blinds, giving might and fury, reflects, quickness, aegis, etc. Experienced groups plan for these things, and when we aren’t all lying on the ground because we used these things, I do feel like part of a group. It sounds like the OP just hasn’t really dug into the game yet.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

You make a good point, but you’re making it from the prospective of someone who has played for a while. Leveling is less cumbersome because vets want to get those alts leveled quick, and the game is three years old so there’s gonna be lots of alts. But remember when you were brand new? I have never enjoyed a first-time leveling experience more than I did in GW2. It didn’t feel like the game started at level 80 and if I stopped to read the quest text I’d be miles behind everyone else. Of course now I’m just like “why can’t this game have hierlooooooms” and I’m very grateful for my insta-20 scrolls, but I recognize that those are conveniences for people who have leveled a bunch of times already. And I’m still enjoying my leveling experience now more than I would if I was leveling alts in WoW.

The way I understand it is that the players basically “don’t know what they want”…. but if they find something familiar, they will still cling to it, and reject things they are not familiar with.

Its like how many WoW players come here because their sick of WoW, but then complain about the things that are different in GW2, citing the way WoW did it was better. Fractals were one such result of this type of feed back. While I enjoy the basic environmental/objective based mission in Fractals, I don’t understand why people were so intent on gear treadmills being an integral part of the system. Especially in light of endless gear treadmills, raid farming, and arbitrary stat requirements being one of the things that caused them to leave WoW in the first place.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

One of the fallacies about some in the GW2 community is their not knowing the difference between “Gear Treadmill” and just best in slot. Unless character levels increase which makes prior gear meaningless, or content is balanced around said new gear, then there is no gear treadmill only increases in BiS. While treadmill causes the gear to be a requirement, BiS does not(outside of WvW which can be easily resolved).

I purposely did not quote the above response because it refers to Fractals and the use is accurate in that context. However the incorrect use of gear treadmill and how it is thrown around these forums falsely bugs the hell out of me.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The best part of the game is WvW. Sadly it has also been the most neglected by Anet.

The community in guild wars 2 is amazing; there is certainly a lot of fun to be had if you are in a good guild.