New traits from 30-80? Why not 10-60?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lonami.2987

Lonami.2987

I feel like traits come too slowly with the new system. Starting at 30 and needing to reach 80 for full potential is kinda tedious.

Wouldn’t it be better if it started at level 10 and ended up at level 60?

You need to consider, long term, that there will be many new skills and traits you unlock by doing stuff around the world, meaning 60-80 already has a ton of unlocking and progress options.

Note that I’m speaking about trait tier unlocking, you should get trait points from 10 to 80 (with the new system 30 to 80). With the new system Grandmaster is locked until level 80, unlike the current system where it unlocks at 60.

Elonian elite specialization ideas: El: Dervish
M: Bladedancer – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Swampstalker
T: Sharpshooter – G: Sunspear – Re: Hierophant – W: Corsair

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

It’s for learning the game.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Then players can learn the max level builds at level 60-80.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I personally don’t like only getting the big goodies at the end of leveling. Would like it if Grandmasters came before 80.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: kgptzac.8419

kgptzac.8419

simple answer: more vertical progression before lv80. After that it’s more horizontal progression. The logic of reducing choice → facilitate learning is inconceivable to me, so this is definitely a bad approach.

a shard of crystal in the desert.

Posted by: illutian.7630

illutian.7630

Why not just remove traits….ya know. Cause it’s so hard to build a Trait Set.

/eyeroll

Major traits will now be unlocked via traits guides, a new in-game item. Double-clicking on a trait guide will unlock its associated trait. You can find trait guides by completing specific content in the world, like story dungeons, minidungeons, WvW, personal story, specific bosses, and discovering certain areas on the world map. As excited as we are to let players earn traits with feats of bravery and cunning, we know not everyone is the exploring or adventure type—which is why we’ve included the option for you to buy trait guides from profession trainers!

You’ve just completely ruined your game. Good job on that.

Traits will now be learned by: Coin sinks (thus facilitating Gem buying). And Play-time sinks.

Main: illutian Kade
Server: Borlis Pass
Guild: Midgard Protectorate

(edited by illutian.7630)

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I only see one downside to this change. Some professions, such as mesmers, rely heavily on traits just to, “not suck”. Moving them 20 levels up will make the already painful task of leveling a mesmer nearly unbearable.

On the other hand, I do agree with consolidating the trait points from 70 to 14. That just makes a lot more sense.

Posted by: Mystical Digital.1603

Mystical Digital.1603

/eyeroll

Major traits will now be unlocked via traits guides, a new in-game item. Double-clicking on a trait guide will unlock its associated trait. You can find trait guides by completing specific content in the world, like story dungeons, minidungeons, WvW, personal story, specific bosses, and discovering certain areas on the world map. As excited as we are to let players earn traits with feats of bravery and cunning, we know not everyone is the exploring or adventure type—which is why we’ve included the option for you to buy trait guides from profession trainers!

Traits will now be learned by: Coin sinks (thus facilitating Gem buying). And Play-time sinks.

As opposed to now where traits are a gold sink to buy the books, and then a gold sink to reset your traits because you accidentally put too many points in, or want to try a new build?

Also, do not understand the time sink thing…. you seriously want to have fewer reasons to do events and such? This will give people reason to go outside their comfort zone of Frostsound and Queensdale, to me that is a great thing.

I only see one downside to this change. Some professions, such as mesmers, rely heavily on traits just to, “not suck”. Moving them 20 levels up will make the already painful task of leveling a mesmer nearly unbearable.

On the other hand, I do agree with consolidating the trait points from 70 to 14. That just makes a lot more sense.

I think they are going to be re-balancing a lot of classes. Wait for the rest of the updates to post before leaping to conclusions.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Maybe Mesmers will get something nice to help shift their dependency away from traits and put that power into their levelling. Not getting my hopes up, though.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

This baffles me, and I’m REALLY hoping they change their minds before the update. I absolutely love everything else about the trait changes, but this sounds awful. Under the new system the obvious idea was to keep everything the same and give one point every five levels starting at 15. I can not understand the reasoning for leaving such an important part of the learning process (and fun) so late.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The traits have not been shifted to level 30 just to allow you more time to learn your class, they’ve been done this way to get more people into the next zone. The starter zones are 1-20 and the further you go, the less people you’ll see. The new way to unlock traits will no doubt require playing in the middle zones, which few people currently use. If the traits started at level 10, all of that would be shifted back to the starting zones, which don’t need any help.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

You must be kidding… Can we somehow get a ‘shortcut’ through all this… some players have 10+ 80s here. Please don’t expect us to go through all the pve stuff again and again.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

illutian.7630

As opposed to now where traits are a gold sink to buy the books, and then a gold sink to reset your traits because you accidentally put too many points in, or want to try a new build?

Also, do not understand the time sink thing…. you seriously want to have fewer reasons to do events and such? This will give people reason to go outside their comfort zone of Frostsound and Queensdale, to me that is a great thing.

The books are cheap. One-time buys, per character of course. Knowing Anet the new method will end up costing way more than ALL of the books combined. Assuming you don’t give a kitten about doing the same stories/events OVER AGAIN on a alt.
….I did ‘my time’ on my Engineer. Now my alts level in WvW…and only WvW.

And yes, I do want fewer reasons to do events….on my “secondary” alts, which are the only ones who are not lvl 80.
….Because I spend my time in WvW on them.

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

You must be kidding… Can we somehow get a ‘shortcut’ through all this… some players have 10+ 80s here. Please don’t expect us to go through all the pve stuff again and again.

Already existing characters will not have to unlock their traits once the Feature Patch goes live. New characters made after the fact will, however.

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Please, ArenaNet, reconsider delaying traits to level 30. At least half of the professions don’t feel right until they start to get some traits, most notably Mesmer. Until then, they feel semi-broken, and give players a bad idea of what to expect later in the game.

This change is simply going to create a hassle for people making alts, who don’t need to delay traits so the can “learn” the character, and likely turn off new players who, at best, will come to the forums and be told “just suffer through it it gets better by level 40”.

I’ll direct your attention to the profession forums. Since launch, people have been asking why their characters don’t function right and are told by veterans to stick it out until they get some traits. This change is only going to exacerbate that from fifteen levels to thirty five worth of grit-your-teeth-and-get-through.

For the record, I have six level 80s, and no intention on leveling any more characters, so this feedback is intended on behalf of future players, not on mine.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Why not 10-60?

Because GW2 can be very complicated. Throwing everything at an early level can be intimidating.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Why not 10-60?

Because GW2 can be very complicated. Throwing everything at an early level can be intimidating.

The question is, how is delaying these things going to teach them any better?

The problem is that the game is not terribly good at training players in its systems. It does a poor job of identifying them to the player, then gradually requiring their use in order to have success.

For example, in many areas of the game you can completely ignore the dodge mechanic. In other areas it is required or you will be repeatedly one-shot. The game does a very poor job of introducing dodging, mob telegraphs, and then slowly ramping up difficulty to make dodging more and more necessary.

It has nothing to do with the fact that dodging is available at level one, and delaying dodge to be unlocked at level 20 would solve nothing. In fact, it would make things worse because it would take away 20 levels that could be used learning it.

What exactly are people taking so long to learn that they need another 20 levels past 10 or traits will blow their minds? Elite skills are unlocked at 30, maybe we should push traits back to 40. It might be too much for players to handle!

What’s really needed if, as ArenaNet has indicated, a portion of the player base has no idea traits even exist, is a better, in-game, introduction and explanation of traiting, not twenty more levels of waiting until professions can start functioning as designed.

Posted by: ThanatosAngel.8024

ThanatosAngel.8024

Starting at level 15 and getting a point every five levels makes more sense to me.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

/eyeroll

you realize the point of a game is to play it. If actually playing the game is so boring its considered a playtime sink, whats the point of playing it? If the point is to get all the skills, then whats the point if they make it so you can do it by hitting one button.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Becasue GW2 have been focusing so on giving you everything from the start, leading to people wonder: how is this rewarding?.

It is a step to improve the game progression in general and we have yet to see the 11 other updates, I suppose they will be connected to eachother as to how Anet want to introduce the mechanics of the game.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Becasue GW2 have been focusing so on giving you everything from the start, leading to people wonder: how is this rewarding?.

It is a step to improve the game progression in general and we have yet to see the 11 other updates, I suppose they will be connected to eachother as to how Anet want to introduce the mechanics of the game.

i agree that their old implementation of get everything easy was bad, but theres a difference between getting everything easily, and getting everything late. problem is, this change makes level 10-60 way more boring and have way less options. yes, at level 59 you will only have the equivalent of 30 points to play around with. This means a level 40 now, has as much options as a level 59 will have. I can tell you already being level 50-59 was pretty boring, in the entertainment curve, i can only imagine it being more so, with even fewer builds available, using the same weapon skills and utility skills i had since probably level 20.

I really dont think they could have tested this for entertainment well. I guess hunting the traits may make it less boring in these level ranges… but i dunno…

illutian.7630

you realize the point of a game is to play it. If actually playing the game is so boring its considered a playtime sink, whats the point of playing it? If the point is to get all the skills, then whats the point if they make it so you can do it by hitting one button.

Because a good chunk of us make a new character, get out of the tutorial, and queue up and live in WvW or sPvP.

There is no point in playing the story more than once…doesn’t matter what race you play you all end up at the same point in the story.

The game was ‘boring’ the moment I hit 80, which is why I now play WvW exclusively…except when there’s Living Story events.

I have one other lvl 80. The rest, I’ve rolled every class btw, are sub 80. Varying from 20-something to my 60 Thief. I don’t have the patience to go through and redo the story all over again (they’re all human, because I like Human).

- or -

I can sink all my gold into buying the traits. …Gold I should be using to support my server in WvW.

On a side note:

You should all really think about how “great” this will be (sarcasm). What are the new players going to do when people aren’t running the events because they already had their characters level to 80 prior to this “update”.
….no one’s doing that Jormag (sp?) fight on Borlis Pass anymore; they’ve moved on.

What are they suppose to do? Dump gold into buying the Traits?
…remember they only said “events and such”. This’ll likely be stuff like the Angry Troll, Jormag (sp?), that Shadow Boss guy in the swamps, and stuff like that. And not the events that happen that count towards building up Reputation for those ‘Heart NPCs’.

And if those ‘Heart Events’ do unlock traits…the chance they’ll unlock Grandmaster Traits….only a fool would think so. Those will likely require the group events….events that are no longer bothered with on many servers.

Hurray! You just leveled. Now dump 5 gold into buying Traits, ya, we know you will likely only have 2 gold at this level. But don’t worry, we got you covered with Gems from our store. Just whip that credit card / PayPal Authorization out and we’ll get you rolling in no time.