Nexon and NCsoft?

Nexon and NCsoft?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: They change.3526

They change.3526

Is it true Nexon bought a part of NCsoft? If this is true I can see why the community is complaining about this game becoming P2W. Well, I think I just lost motivation to continue playing. I will have nothing to do with Nexon.

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

It’s not p2w and anybody who claims that it is is a looney.
You can buy convenience and skins in the shop, nothing more, nothing less.

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Elthuzar.9478

Elthuzar.9478

Nexon investment in NC Soft happened before Guild Wars 2 launched and as Crovax said, anyone claiming this game is pay to win is a loony. You can now remove the tin-foil hat and go about your daily achievements.

The Painted Norn of [WILD]We Intercept Lost Dolyaks

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Everything in the gem store you can buy with RWM or gold to gems. If GW2 were P2W there would be items you could only buy with RWM that gave you an advantage over those that didn’t spend RWM.

The Burninator

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: They change.3526

They change.3526

Yeah I don’t see any skills being sold in the Gem shop which is usually what P2W will be classified as. It’s usually gear, a class, skills things of that nature. I’ve browsed a few of the other threads and people say buying cosmetics is P2W? It’s a skin. As for ascended stuff, I just stick with exotics since I don’t have that much time to play. I just simply don’t try for them. 35g can be made daily doing dungeons. It’s like the stuff is there people are just lazy.

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Nexon owns roughly 15% of NCSOFT. They bought it from the CEO’s personal share in June of 2012 which IIRC left him with roughly 10% of NCSOFT.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Is it true Nexon bought a part of NCsoft? If this is true I can see why the community is complaining about this game becoming P2W. Well, I think I just lost motivation to continue playing. I will have nothing to do with Nexon.

It’s not P2W, it’s pay to look good. Looking good just happens to be the endgame.

JQ Druid

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

To be fair, WvW is P2W. You can use gold to buy people and golems.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Ambush.9420

Ambush.9420

It’s not P2W, it’s pay to look good. Looking good just happens to be the endgame.

Good thing you can buy gems with gold

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Good thing you can’t casually make gold fast enough to keep up with gem inflation.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Good thing you can’t casually make gold fast enough to keep up with gem inflation.

Good thing that’s not true. Doing FGS or QD champ train 30 mins-1hr a day will net you maybe 2-3 gold easily in mats and drops. On week later, you have enough to buy stuff in the gem store.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Good thing hyperbole doesn’t run rampant in threads like these.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Garb Cost.3718

Garb Cost.3718

Good thing no-one is jumping to conclusions.

Can I have your gold?

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Good thing no-one is jumping to conclusions.

Can I have your gold?

good thing we can use gold to buy bis legendary gear when we’re tired of grinding for them

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

It is true and an ex-nexon employee is now part of the monetization-team at A.Net

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

But she was hired before Nexon bought their share in NCSOFT.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Since money in P2W would be spent chasing stats (to end up where you started) in any game that had vertical progression, I’d call it pay2lose.

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

its not p2w yet…….

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

For some context, the first major world loot nerf happened mid-November of 2012. If you root around the forums, reddit, scenes sites, from November/December there was A LOT of discussion/complaining about it. This affected all open world content, champions, world bosses and dungeons and closely correspond to the arrival of fractals, which seemed to be the only way to get good gear at the time. Trying to railroad people in to their new content perhaps. Before this happened, say October 2012 and before, one could easily expect exotics from dungeons and dragons most, if not all the time. There was a lot of speculation that Nexon was not seeing the profits it was expecting and exercised it’s weight to force loot in to the ground in order to “encourage” people to use the gem store.

For anyone who has not been around that long, if you’re complaining about the loot, keep in mind, it’s now vastly better than it was last winter.

Nexon and NCsoft?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

3 commonly missed facts in these discussions:
1) Nexon bought shares in NCSoft before GW2 came out

2) Anet was bought by NCSoft before GW1 even came out

3) Owning shares in a company, even a controlling interest (and 15% is not a controlling interest), does not give you control over everything they do. Certainly not to the level of deciding what items are going to be sold in each game’s store.

Even in my organisation, where there’s about 35 people in total the board only makes high level decisions like what the budget will be for each department or project. It’s people much lower down the ladder, who decide what’s done with it and how.

But ‘good’ is also a matter of opinion. Most of my favourite skins come from dungeons (both armor and weapons) so if I didn’t recognise that that’s just my opinion I could argue that this game is the exact opposite of pay to win because the ‘best’ skins can’t be bought.

It is true and an ex-nexon employee is now part of the monetization-team at A.Net

Yep. But then Anet staff have come from all kinds of places, if I remember right Regina used to work for MTV, some staff were at Blizzard, I think Colin Johanson used to work for EA.

It doesn’t mean any of them necessarily agree with their former employers approach to doing things, and certainly doesn’t mean they were personally responsible for it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”