Nika is back! Is Cantha next??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nakatsu Hime.3520

Nakatsu Hime.3520

Say that Cantha and Elona do make a return somehow in thier own ‘expansions’, do we think all expansions will be mix-and-match, so we can have some without others, or do we think we’ll need Exp#1 to run Exp#2 to run Exp#3, etc, etc ?

Posted by: Headcase.4618

Headcase.4618

Going back to Cantha?
Sure, I’d love that.
But so long as some cooperate desk jockey thinks it will offend people, I won’t hold my breath for it.

Was that their reason for not doing cantha again?

smh…..

cause it offended the east from what i heard

Refresh my memory, was anyone offended by Cantha in Guild Wars 1?

From what I heard from various people on the forums, Japan, China and Korea weren’t happy that their cultures were mixed together.

Mixed architectural styles and cultures don’t sell well historically in east Asian countries, so they’d miss out on a wide number of players if they made Cantha a melting pot kind of area like it would have been in Divinity’s Reach. It’d probably work better if they picked a single culture to base it on, but I’m not sure how accurate to lore that’d be.

I posted this on another Cantha-related thread some time ago, and this is just hypothetical, but what if instead of just using one culture or rolling them all into one, Cantha were made up of different provinces that are based on different Asian cultures, such as a Chinese-themed province, a Japanese-themed province, and so on and so forth. I believe that by doing this, we can get a Cantha that has representation from various Asian cultures and none of the mixing that said cultures have an issue with. Would that work or would that just create new problems?

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

Say that Cantha and Elona do make a return somehow in thier own ‘expansions’, do we think all expansions will be mix-and-match, so we can have some without others, or do we think we’ll need Exp#1 to run Exp#2 to run Exp#3, etc, etc ?

Based on GW1, I think it will probably be the former. You can buy HoT, or skip it, and while the next xpac might build on some of HoT’s ideas, there will still be areas and content that will require you to buy HoT first, even multiple xpacs later, but you will never need HoT to play the most recent expansion.

Of course, I could be wrong, and Anet will release HoT for free X number of years from now so they can build directly on top of it for the next xpac (like WoW does) but most MMOs that do that are also sub-based, not a BtP game like GW2 is.

EDIT: Also, I think that is a question that Anet is nowhere close to answering for themselves in any capacity, so I doubt you’ll ever see a dev comment about it that’s more than “we’re discussing the possibilities” until the next xpac is announced.

(edited by Foefaller.1082)