No GW2 Expansions or Sequels (Anytime Soon)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Nice to focus on the living story and all, but my server does not feel “alive” because there are almost no players on it. If this will be solved without an expansion I don’t know.
Many people I know bought GW2 and hoping for the Cantha expansion soon after like in GW1, because it was their favorite campaing. Echovald forest and jade Sea with their 2 dungeons were very populair places.

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

frankly,
it would not be right to fix bugs and add three four new maps anyway, to avoid boring the players?

as tarnished Coast
Maguuma Wastes
or Blazeridge Mountains.

Or even the divine promontory above.

In short, we make explored areas pending extension …

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I am disappointed no (proper?) expansion is being planned…

I personally like a expansion every 12-18 months…

The ‘free’ stuff they added so far is, by and large very good(with the odd mistake in my opinion) but only in a proper paid for expansion will we see new complete detailed zones(the lost shores 80 zone isn’t the same quality of the other zones) and new character classes/races.

The most important thing for me is new content is at least equal in quality as the current content…

Posted by: Saberfang.4690

Saberfang.4690

Like there is any need of an expansion at the moment.

As many alredy pointed out the game is still undergoing its development and it’s still in needing of fixing and balancing. There are still basic bugs like not being able of attacking some target with projectile and most of the community is farming factals and dungeons never ending because the drop system in normal areas is not rewarding at all leaving a huge world map empty in many location. With all those spaces available why would I need new areas? Just make those interesting. And then there are the big events, like dragons fights, playable and a whole pvp that need more development like more maps, modes and the replay feature.

See, there is so much to work on so no need for expansion, first fix the core game at its best then we can talk about new stuff.

(edited by Saberfang.4690)

Posted by: Oenomaus.6413

Oenomaus.6413

So i was roaming the IGN page and tumbled across a quote from colin Johansson.

“Expansions are definetly something we’ll – potentially – look at in the future, but i think our major focus as a studio is making the living world concept as strong as we possibly can for the players that we’ve got”

So what are we to think of this?
I myself thought they had a team busting away at an expansion, with the game rounding august quite soon and its 1 year anniversarry, Cantha or Elona i dont care. This quote just makes me feel there is no light at the end of the tunnel, for those of us who want the game to keep growing not just for whats already there but with new lands and races, nostalgic lands and races.

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

they dont need an expansion to add new zones they have all ready done that much once, now as for ’’major’’ content i know there is somewhat of a gate on guild missions for some guilds but i really think people underestimate how much content is actually there.

the game has and is expanding continuously and i for one would much prefer them to concentrate and strengthen there CORE product first then issue out an expansion, an expansion will come most defiantly the question is when not if.

for instance i know WoW has an expansion every 1-2 years but between the last 2 expansions there was 6 months and 9months of nothing new and i mean absolutely nothing you will NEVER see Anet do this there planned ‘’monthly’ updates make sure of that whether big or small, dont sell Anet short they work very hard and to me are one of the most reliable online developers give them a chance the game has what just hit the 6month mark?

also within the half a year GW2 has been out and the relativley same amount of time as MoP we have seen a new zone, guild missions, living story started, new tier, fractals, AC revamp, store expanding, new currency systems, tons of bug fixes, to put this in perspective blizzard have done this twice in 6months? (or is it 4-5ish of mop? i dunno) i only compare these two as we alll know the behemoth of mmos is still alive and kicking, Anet at this point gives there games more attention.

for 6months this game has had and is continuing to get a lot of attention and Anet have also said they are still steadily seeing an increase in players so all roads point to the emerald city of Oz, at the moment if you ask me we look good.

(edited by DrixTrix.7168)

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Don’t worry, the expansion will come soon, just not now. Besides, there are the monthly updates you get. New features and other stuffs

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

There was a huge thread about this and Anet explained themselves.
Simply put, as they always said, first they finish the vanilla game and then build expansions.
It doesn’t meant they aren’t planning expansions, pretty sure Cantha and Elona can wait until the vanilla game is finished – but for now all the focus is on free content (which could also mean more lands).

I believe it’s best to have a quality product than a bloated game with a ton of empty lands.

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

Even if there is no extension for the moment …
it would be good that place additional maps, show jumping or land or under water, mini-games, and events.

I would not mind a map Jumping puzzle. With villages, hiding, secret trésorts, défits, avalanches, and a lot to discover. Explorers enthusiasts would be happy.

it would be great to add two new races!

Dungeons and make submarines, underwater map!

new armor, more open houses in town!

Repair Promontory divine! Extention of the levels Rata Sum!

And plenty of other ideas, sorry, I’m dreaming!

# Asura because I’m worth it!

(edited by Louveepine.7630)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

This was so last week, or month. There’s at least a couple of threads about this on the forum with dev comments.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Cowrex.9564

There was a huge thread about this and Anet explained themselves.
Simply put, as they always said, first they finish the vanilla game and then build expansions.
It doesn’t meant they aren’t planning expansions, pretty sure Cantha and Elona can wait until the vanilla game is finished – but for now all the focus is on free content (which could also mean more lands).

I believe it’s best to have a quality product than a bloated game with a ton of empty lands.

Pretty much how WoW (Just for reference) did it when Vanilla was still there.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

As stated in the other thread on the same topic:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/No-GW2-Expansions-or-Sequels-Anytime-Soon/first

This isn’t actual news, it is something we have mentioned multiple times before. As the original interview says, and I quote:
“Expansions are definitely something that we’ll potentially look at in the future,” he explained. “We don’t have a timetable on it. We’re open to it, but I think our major focus as a studio is making the living world concept as strong as possibly can for the players that we’ve got.”

No one said we will never do an expansion, all Colin says (again) is that we are currently focusing on Living Story and other ongoing to the live game.

You can see that the IGN title was a bit misleading, Colin wanted to focus the interview on what they are currently doing, not talk about an expansion yet.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Well free content is free expansion are payed for so ya i am up for more free content!

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Cowrex.9564

As stated in the other thread on the same topic:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/No-GW2-Expansions-or-Sequels-Anytime-Soon/first

This isn’t actual news, it is something we have mentioned multiple times before. As the original interview says, and I quote:
“Expansions are definitely something that we’ll potentially look at in the future,” he explained. “We don’t have a timetable on it. We’re open to it, but I think our major focus as a studio is making the living world concept as strong as possibly can for the players that we’ve got.”

No one said we will never do an expansion, all Colin says (again) is that we are currently focusing on Living Story and other ongoing to the live game.

You can see that the IGN title was a bit misleading, Colin wanted to focus the interview on what they are currently doing, not talk about an expansion yet.

That should clear it up with a few people in the forums but I highly doubt it will all be cleared up soon. I believe that is only when another interview that will provide clarification will the player base/people of GW2 actually be cleared up with this topic.

Anyways, I admire what Anet is doing. Instead of focusing on releasing a big expansion, they are currently working on the base game/vanilla.

Posted by: Salacious.7358

Salacious.7358

this sounds more like "no expansion for a couple years, so every one take a break while we push out tiny tiny amounts of content you can do in under an hour. Your living story is an example of this, I fished it under an hour…..an hour people….You should release something bigger, more ambitious……

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

this sounds more like "no expansion for a couple years, so every one take a break while we push out tiny tiny amounts of content you can do in under an hour. Your living story is an example of this, I fished it under an hour…..an hour people….You should release something bigger, more ambitious……

Because what… everything should be packed into the prelude?

This is simply the prelude, introducing us to the concepts of the new content on the way. This isn’t “the content” we’re getting. So far we know little… the dredge and Flame Legion are in cohorts with each other (seems a rather odd coupling, to be honest), and they seem irked with the northern “good guys”. Of course, considering how we’ve been kicking their butts who can blame them. The real question is, what happens when the shoe drops?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

expansions are a bittersweet experience. you get new content in one update but there is so many potential left behind. I support the live story and micro transactions the expansion should be released when a net will be fully fulfilled whit wanila and expend the experience.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

To my knowledge, there are still plenty of bugs that need fixing, there are still plenty of mini-games in cities that haven’t been implemented, there are still many perceived class imbalances, and there are still plenty of core-mechanics that need to be ironed out. I’d much rather the developers take care of these things before distracting themselves (and us) with an expansion.

Posted by: BelowAverage.8349

BelowAverage.8349

I will buy any expansion as long as it doesn’t increase the level cap, gear cap or otherwise destroys my character.

This, if Anet goes with the regular every expansion is new grind time and now all your old stuff is worthless I am out so fast.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Anet actually thought about increasing the level cap in the future. I do not mind it, just make sure you make and put all lvl 81-90 or 81-100 gear ascended and well-locked behind time gates.

Also make sure you never mention Cantha, the tengu are just birds gone wild. Because let’s face it, evolution happens on a timescale of minutes, right? 250 years is more than enough.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

(edited by Flamenco.3894)

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

This is simply the prelude, introducing us to the concepts of the new content on the way. This isn’t “the content” we’re getting. So far we know little… the dredge and Flame Legion are in cohorts with each other (seems a rather odd coupling, to be honest), and they seem irked with the northern “good guys”. Of course, considering how we’ve been kicking their butts who can blame them. The real question is, what happens when the shoe drops?

The story was originally supposed to be done by now.

They were advertising this back in Dec as a two-month “expansion’s worth of content”. And then it became “Jan is just a teaser, Feb/March is the real meat”. Now we’ve been told that the last two months were all just teaser stuff, and the REAL meat is in March and April. So while I am looking forward to the patch, I’m almost honestly expecting to see the deadline dragged out yet again, with no explanation given.

It’s one thing to push your content back for legit reasons, and I don’t begrudge them for that. But they’re not being very forthcoming on why the time schedule keeps moving backwards, and they keep making really bold statements about how much depth is in the new patch (and yet when it releases, it’s all of an hour’s worth of content). I really hope they do deliver a big patch in March, because I suspect, given reactions to the last two patches, that it may be their last chance with some people to make significant gains and earn back some good faith.

If, for example, this “culling fix” (the one that is supposed to nearly get rid of culling ) ends up making culling even worse in the March patch, expect the forums to burn brighter and hotter than the Searing. It’s one thing to promise a ton of PvE content and not really deliver it, but it’ll be another matter entirely if they promise to end all culling and then don’t deliver (or, god forbid, make it even worse).

I’m really, really hoping that this patch is the one to start righting the ship.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Sky.7610

Sky.7610

Plz never create a expansion. I like free updates. Also, if u do introduce expansion, plz make it so it can be purchased with gems. Only way I will ever buy it.

Posted by: Aly.3429

Aly.3429

At his time I am not too worried about an expansion as there are still goals I have to complete such as Dungeon Master and Been There, Done That.. (on 4 or 5 characters) After which I am hoping for new content to work on, and not just the living story junk that can be completed in a few hours.

Posted by: Tinboy.7954

Tinboy.7954

If this is how the living story ‘content’ is going to be, I’d rather we have an expansion. To be honest, at the rate the living story is going at, it is going nowhere. The stuff you do in it takes at most 30 minutes and to be frank, I lost interest in it on the same day it came out. It was basically get your achievement points, done. There is hardly any story telling or any challenge and all you get is achievement points. I really don’t see how that is going to keep me playing.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

If this is how the living story ‘content’ is going to be, I’d rather we have an expansion. To be honest, at the rate the living story is going at, it is going nowhere. The stuff you do in it takes at most 30 minutes and to be frank, I lost interest in it on the same day it came out. It was basically get your achievement points, done. There is hardly any story telling or any challenge and all you get is achievement points. I really don’t see how that is going to keep me playing.

I think they intend for living story to be a lot “meatier” going forward. They keep saying that t his one was small compared to what they’re putting together for the future. But yeah, they will need the living story to be more significant and impactful otherwise it would seem a bit redundant to not do expansions instead.

Posted by: Little Old Lady.3742

Little Old Lady.3742

i think the word expansion means different things to different people. is adding more content into the game an expansion? if you do it for free is it an expansion or only if you have to pay for it? and how does all that expanded paid for content mix with the living world for those that didnt buy the expansion. is adding character slots and gemstore only items dlc upgradeing to deluxe edition a mini expansion?
so the new content we get each month for free is an expansion of content. they are “expanding” every month. but the big “pay us for this optional content” may not be defined nor release date set. what expansion will be free what will they ask money for?

Little Old Lady, Sea of Sorrows, Robot Adventurers [RA], Tokyo Japan.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

thats a huge turn off. What about the players that arent interested in the living story stuff? what are they to do?

this is bad Anet.

I want new PvP modes
New races
new classes
new skills
new weapon types
player housing
dungeon maker
ships
new WvW gameplay

stuff that new expansions bring except new level grind.

Posted by: brokenserenity.4638

brokenserenity.4638

I’d be happy with smaller expansions similar to the one they added to gw which contained the 4 or 5 missions that filled in backstory and gave a unique weapons skin at the end as rewards….obviously this time though i’d prefer new zones instead of 4 or 5 missions but i’d be willing to bet we’re gonna get stuff eventually via living storylines and other means(imagine if the lost shores had been introduced in a living story and developed gradulally over a few months into a proper zone instead of the barren waste of time its become!).

Also I think kralkattorik should be the next big dragon we fight as it’d mean new types of branded to fight(giants and those gila monsters and stuff described in the novel). which would be a heck of alot more fun than fighting risen in orr all the time.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Hmm, maybe it’s possible they will be going the DLC route where they’ll go as far as sell individual maps on the shop. If I was working on a dozen tiny dlc packs I wouldn’t call them expansion either, even if their combined content would add up to one. You can like EA or not, but they are very successful with their business strategy.

Posted by: Stefan.9360

Stefan.9360

Making new game expansion can only return servers to life for 1-2 months. The real problem is arenanet don’t know what to do to hold people in the game (new events have ~ 0 success)

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

Has it been confirmed or dismissed that the new Flame and Frost story will open up new areas of Tyria? It would be nice to explore the Blood Legion homelands and some more parts of the Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

I would pay for a WvW expansion with new maps.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Has it been confirmed or dismissed that the new Flame and Frost story will open up new areas of Tyria? It would be nice to explore the Blood Legion homelands and some more parts of the Shiverpeaks

I thought there was mention that there wouldn’t be any new zones with this content, but you gave me an idea… imagine if they opened up those areas (which make sense… Shiverpeaks overrun with Dredge, Flame Legion homelands) and made them level 85 zones?

By level 85, I mean the mobs are level 85 and have new tricks and abilities up their sleeves, we’re still our humble level 80 selves.

Could we handle it?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

So we can get from this that their money people are happy about the income being generated through the cash shop and continuing box sales.

If they weren’t, we’d be seeing promises of a coming expansion to get a new infusion of funds.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I’m definitely glad that there is no expansion on the horizon—there really shouldn’t be at this point in the game. On the free content to-date, even Anet has begun referring to what’s been delivered as ‘teasers’ as there really hasn’t been anything delivered. And, you can tell from the story post where there is a reference to developers having rolled off other projects now available, one assumes they were working on higher priority projects. I hope that included fixing culling, core game, and balance, but my fear is a lot of developer resources were sucked up around managing vertical progression with laurels and guild missions of late. We could certainly have done well without that whole effort but, oh well.

On the whole I trust Anet when it comes to evolving the story. They’ve shown they can create a great game. Some fault the story, but overall I’m happy with the game they released in terms of game world and play. I’m sure they will tighten up and polish the story over time.

And, I am celebrating my first monthly achievement since launch with Februaries monthly, so a shout out to Anet for throwing a bone to open world PvE players—a sincere thank you!

Posted by: schizandra.4587

schizandra.4587

http://www.eurogamer.pt/videos/entrevista-game-designer-guild-wars-2

Colin practically confirms expansions, and new dragons appearing in them, at around 15:20 of the video. The stupid interviewer interrupts him when he starts talking about Bubbles though. So the expansions will be here, including a Maguuma Jungle dragon… we just don’t know when.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

http://www.eurogamer.pt/videos/entrevista-game-designer-guild-wars-2

Colin practically confirms expansions, and new dragons appearing in them, at around 15:20 of the video. The stupid interviewer interrupts him when he starts talking about Bubbles though. So the expansions will be here, including a Maguuma Jungle dragon… we just don’t know when.

lmao. Colin. He’s so jolly…But yeah, I’m confused when it comes to this whole expansion or no expansion thing. It’s pretty obvious it’ll happen eventually, but I guess it’s not right now? I think Jormag is the most -pressing- dragon we’re dealing with now that Zhaitan is out of the way…But I can’t help but think that bringing us up North there would be a mistake for a 1st expansion simply from the the perspective that we’ve got so many frozen tundra regions as it is. It might be kind of boring to go up there right now. Maybe Jormag can retreat some and go to sleep in a cave somewhere for a year or two…Haha…I really wanna see the Isles of Janthir, and obviously returning to Cantha with the possibility of the water dragon, or some surprise situation arising with an expansion.

Posted by: Bob.5732

Bob.5732

IMO the game hasn’t been out near long enough to warrant an expansion or sequal. Anyone who thinks we need an expansion soon is just one of the many “content kitten.s.” that play balls to the wall and eats up all the content in a short period of time. But hey if that’s your playstyle then fine, but don’t be surprised when the developer doesn’t cater to your addiction as soon as you want.

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

im hoping it happens at the end of the year after they finish rolling out ascended then they can shove all new VP into it and anyone who doesn’t want that can just not buy the expansion.

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

Posted by: wolfshirt.8459

wolfshirt.8459

lets not all forget that a major korean investment firm visited NCsoft very recently and they expect a Guild Wars 2 expansion out by the end of this year.

They also mention that GW2 will also launch in China this year, but NCsoft may not be able sell CDs or licenses.

http://www.kdbdw.com/bbs/download/167691.pdf?attachmentId=167691

So my guess is that an expansion launching at the end of the 2013 in western territories (US and EU) may be a way to stabilize quarter over quarter revenue.

PEACE

Posted by: StygSec.7163

StygSec.7163

I’m fine with the lack of expansions.

Didn’t it take Factions a year or two to release after Guild Wars launched? That’s how a MMO should be built. The Developer should think of polishing the base game first before expanding to new content, but once they start expanding via expansions the Developers should finish the polish on one expansion before moving onto the next.

While the first Guild Wars was not my cup of tea I use it as a reference on how a MMO game should be built with expansions. A game shouldn’t immediately release, and then announce 6-7 months later that an Expansion is due early next year (SWTOR is a perfect example of this.) when the base game has a lot to be added and worked on.

I’d much rather have the Guild Wars treatment to Guild Wars 2. Have the base game finished before an expansion releases, and then polish that expansion. The one thing that ArenaNet has done right with Guild Wars 2 is the new content patch every months. Even if the content is lacking for one update it’s just a simple, and short 30-ish day wait for the next patch to come out to expand on it.

A perfect example of this content expansion through patches is the Living Story. Granted people are complaining about the vagueness of the “Story” bit in this series of content updates, but it’s there.

Patch one of the arc introduced the problem.

Patch two of the arc finished introducing the players in the story.

Patch three of the arc is going to introduce the excitement of the story. (The build up has finished, and the real meat of the story comes to light, the parts that -everyone- likes. Action. Lots of action.)

Then Patch four the arc is going to wind down and come to the stop as the story is finished.

Hm.. I may’ve gotten carried away, but my bottom line is that I enjoy this lack of announcement for expansion content. Until there’s a press release by ArenaNet the news of an Expansion are rumors, and nothing more.

Hm.. I may’ve gotten carried away, but my bottom line is that I enjoy this lack of announcement for expansion content. Until there’s a press release by ArenaNet the news of an Expansion are rumors, and nothing more.More monthly content updates? And then when these start to wind down announce the Expansion. I want to have my pants knocked off.

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

I think this is one of the reasons that things like the gem store are a win for gamers. It gives developers a strong incentive to stick with improving the game rather than simply moving on to the next project since the cash flow from the game doesn’t end at release.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Here if you want to check out the latest two of those. They were still forecasting an uptick in sales income in 3Q/4Q this year due to an expansion but didn’t mention it in their most recent post.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Corvi.3278

Corvi.3278

Before any major upgrades or expansions Arenanet please optimize the game for performance please.

:)

Posted by: Salacious.7358

Salacious.7358

DO not release an expansion for at least 5 years. Make sure your game is SOOOOOO perfect, SOOO stable that the player base CANNOT complain. then break it

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

That’s kind of what I was thinking. Didn’t they say that they have a live team and a team that solely works on expansion content?

Not only that, but they said they split their staff 50/50, which is a substantial number. Did the expansion team get laid off, consolidated into the live team, or are they enjoying a year paid vacation?

Interdasting…

PR.

If Colin said “yeah we’re working on an expansion, but we don’t want to talk about it yet”, the headlines become GUILKDL WAR 2 EUXPANDION DCOMING!!!!!!

By leaving it ambiguous, the attention (theoretically anyway) can stay on what they want people talking about: the monthly content releases. Those are the things that will encourage people to keep playing the game right now, rather than something that might tempt players to come back a year from now.

Yeah. He directed attention to the Living Story (which brings a small amount of new content each month) and fixing/improving the game.

Colin has also said stuff in the past that he later clarified (on these very forums) was incorrect because he wasn’t aware of it.

I’d be very much surprised if they aren’t working on an expansion.

For as broken as the game still is, they need to focus attention on the fact that they’re trying to fix it. (The HoM ranger pets will finally be FIXED next update… Only 7 months after launch to change TWO numbers.)

With the on-going sensationalist PR trying to hype the Living Story to be more than it has been shown to be, it wouldn’t surprise me if this just wasn’t another PR stunt.

Besides, we haven’t heard from Linsey Murdock since she announced Ascended gear. (Perhaps because of all the bad PR that decision resulted in.)

According to other devs, she’s still hard at work “designing” a scavenger hunt system for precursors. (By which time they’ll probably introduce entirely new legendaries.)

She was a very active, major part (publicly, at least) of the GW1 Live team, which gave us the Black Moa Chick mini-pet scavenger hunt.

There were reports last year about NCSoft expecting increased revenue around Q3 of this year… Everyone speculated then that it’d be a GW2 expansion.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ANALYSTS?!