No Gear Treadmill - Not Played for Two Weeks

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

I know it’s supposed to be a good thing – no gear treadmill etc. But after playing crazily for over a year, getting a legendary and ascended weapons I have nothing more to do and haven’t logged in for two weeks!

I wish there was something like “infinite leveling up” where I always have some newer and better goal to achieve. Always some better and stronger armor, or something like that. As things stand now I just feel like I’ve done everything.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

PvP ranks, for the finisher & /rank. Effectively infinite- or at least, no one has yet gotten close to max (dragon).

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

…thanks alot, anet just had a meeting deciding when to release the next tier of weapons.
You can also test out your skills thats a goal or go for multiple legendarys. I know people (there not good at the game though lol) who have every legendary their character uses on a regular basis.

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

PvP ranks, for the finisher & /rank. Effectively infinite- or at least, no one has yet gotten close to max (dragon).

That’s a good one. But I’m rank 41 and the problem is that the next one is just so far away. It’ll be nice if there were “stretch” goals you know – where the next step is far away, but not so far that you lose all hope of getting there. I mean, just going from r49 to r50 must be enough to make anyone lose hope.

I’m betting that those who reached r50 didn’t do it to reach there per se. They must have had other goals like playing with friends or whatever and got the points as a result of that.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

You can work on Luck, WvW, etc.

Personal goals have a limit, try for Guild goals.
Build a leading WvW guild or a strong sPvP team.

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

How about you DON’T suggest another tier of gear and continue your break?

You’re probably burnt out from playing “crazily” for over a year, happens to the best of players.

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

This is the problem with catering to the carrot style of gamer.

Once they reach the carrot… they want another carrot. GJ “breaking” the mold their Anet.

Cannot wait to see the first expansion:

Level increase to 90, takes as long as it took to get from 1-80 to get 80-81 and it triples each level!!
New Transended equipment! Only got from World Bosses! Take on the new Shatterer and get a .001% each time to get it!

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I predicted this.

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

There are a few MMOs on the horizon so just hold out a little longer.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

A game that tries to be a game for everybody becomes a game for nobody.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Is this attempted trolling? Infinite levels? Please go away.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

There is still ‘’gear grind’’ in GW2.
Now it is called AP grind.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

I predicted this.

Well of course you did, it’s the way making artificial time sinks in the form of gear versus content works. Anyone who understands statistical progression and what it leads to, knows what is to come eventually.

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

Once they reach the carrot… they want another carrot. GJ “breaking” the mold their Anet.

Level increase to 90, takes as long as it took to get from 1-80 to get 80-81 and it triples each level!!
New Transended equipment! Only got from World Bosses! Take on the new Shatterer and get a .001% each time to get it!

I am extremely confused to what other kinda game exist? All games are carrots on a stick when you boil them down to there bottom lines.

Games have evolved over the year’s and the carrot is no longer beating the game. These day’s the carrot is working towards a goal typically some type of treasure. I really cant think of a single example that does not revolve around some kinda carrot here are some examples.

Mario Bros. – July 14, 1983 – The Carrot was saving the princess

The Legend of Zelda July 29, 1987 – The carrot was simply beating the game defeating the end game boss

Doom December 10, 1993 – The carrot was saving the world by beating the game.

Diablo December 31, 1996 – Carrot was leveling and getting loot to progress your character.

I could keep going mentioning more and more games. The bottom line is there is always a carrot aka a goal to achieve. What the op is saying is he no longer feel’s that goal exist. I can sorta feel his pain right now the thing keeping me in GW2 is my friend’s.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

This might pose an interesting situation.

What if I was level 133,788?

Would I be able to kill Tequatl with a single arrow to the knee? What would the stat cap be in WvW? Would there be any? Would I be able to carve a hole in a fortified gate by myself with a knife?

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

Is this attempted trolling? Infinite levels? Please go away.

Actually, ANet considered infinite levels at one point. They scrapped the idea afterwards, but it was based on logarithmic progression – each level would give you less than the previous one.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

This might pose an interesting situation.

What if I was level 133,788?

Would I be able to kill Tequatl with a single arrow to the knee? What would the stat cap be in WvW? Would there be any? Would I be able to carve a hole in a fortified gate by myself with a knife?

Remember, in Teq you’d be downscaled, It would take two.

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

This is why they shouldn’t have introduced ascended gear. They promised no grind but tried to keep the grinders with ascended gear, and in the end, the grinders will leave this game because ascended doesn’t cut it for them. They wanted both the grinders and the player base attracted by the manifesto and they’ll end up with neither. Guild Wars 2 has a future.. as a game for the facebook minigame crowds. Not for people who actually want MMOs.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

I am extremely confused to what other kinda game exist? All games are carrots on a stick when you boil them down to there bottom lines.

Games have evolved over the year’s and the carrot is no longer beating the game. These day’s the carrot is working towards a goal typically some type of treasure. I really cant think of a single example that does not revolve around some kinda carrot here are some examples.

Mario Bros. – July 14, 1983 – The Carrot was saving the princess

The Legend of Zelda July 29, 1987 – The carrot was simply beating the game defeating the end game boss

Doom December 10, 1993 – The carrot was saving the world by beating the game.

Diablo December 31, 1996 – Carrot was leveling and getting loot to progress your character.

I could keep going mentioning more and more games. The bottom line is there is always a carrot aka a goal to achieve. What the op is saying is he no longer feel’s that goal exist. I can sorta feel his pain right now the thing keeping me in GW2 is my friend’s.

No, a carrot on a stick is a endless chase where you can’t reach the end.
The games you listed (except Diablo) are not carrot on a stick because they end when you beat the game.
Mario saves the princess in the end. Full stop.
You can’t “beat” this game.

The devs have explicitly said there is vertical progression in this game and will continue to have it. It won’t end until the game dies.
You will always be chasing “power”, whether it’s a new tier, a new gear on an existing tier, new level cap, etc.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

I feel your pain OP. Gw2 simply doesn’t deliver character progression.

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

@ OP Rift is FTP now, you’re welcome.
You must not have seen the outrage that happened with GW2 in November or you would not wish for VP :P.

Calae.1738

I feel your pain OP. Gw2 simply doesn’t deliver character progression.

You mean a treadmill… right?

If you raise damage by +1 you have to raise NPC health by +1 too… right? Or else you risk running in a situation where every NPC can be killed in one shot…. right?

haviz.1340

If you raise damage by +1 you have to raise NPC health by +1 too… right? Or else you risk running in a situation where every NPC can be killed in one shot…. right?

That’s what I call deep character progression. What’s the point of getting stronger if you can’t kill faster?

Calae.1738

That’s what I call deep character progression. What’s the point of getting stronger if you can’t kill faster?

Would you consider killing NPC’s in one or two shots to be interesting gameplay? When would tactics and strategy come into play in this particular situation?

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I know it’s supposed to be a good thing – no gear treadmill etc. But after playing crazily for over a year, getting a legendary and ascended weapons I have nothing more to do and haven’t logged in for two weeks!

I wish there was something like “infinite leveling up” where I always have some newer and better goal to achieve. Always some better and stronger armor, or something like that. As things stand now I just feel like I’ve done everything.

u can get infinite skill points.
300% account bound magic find to grind.

and i am sure, it is just you.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Bigger numbers doesn’t make deep character progression, since it’s one-dimensional. Numbers go up, and that’s it.

Progressing your character so they have more tools (therefore options) makes for deep character progression. I could also argue progression in the form of being part of the game world (gaining favour, rising up the ranks ect) has more depth, depending on how it’s done.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Either you’re serious and you should find another game to play, xor you’ve made a nice sarcasm thread.

In case you’re serious …. get another hobby, a girfriend, a diploma, a job, … anything. If you have your legendaries and full ascended by know, you’ve been playing too much. It’s not physically possible in this space-time continuum.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

haviz.1340

Would you consider killing NPC’s in one or two shots to be interesting gameplay? When would tactics and strategy come into play in this particular situation?

I would consider killing stronger NPCs.

Bigger numbers doesn’t make deep character progression, since it’s one-dimensional. Numbers go up, and that’s it.

Progressing your character so they have more tools (therefore options) makes for deep character progression. I could also argue progression in the form of being part of the game world (gaining favour, rising up the ranks ect) has more depth, depending on how it’s done.

So what instead do you propose? Getting yet another backpack every 2 weeks? Achievement points? More fluff?

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

that is a contradiction in terms.
Nothing deep about it sorry.
Now if you had more and varied skills and different ways to combine them and traits to support it- that would be deep and meaningful progression.
Your idea just boils down to running in one place watching numbers go up.

Gunnar’s Hold

TheDaiBish.9735

So what instead do you propose? Getting yet another backpack every 2 weeks? Achievement points? More fluff?

See the bolded.

To expand a bit:

Personal Character Growth

• Skills (inc. swappable weapon skills)
  • Skill Customisation (Scrap the passive traits [+dmg, -cooldown] and add them as options to attach to skills with a clause. So, for example, you have the skill, you then select the clause [for example, if bleeding] and then you select the effect if you meet the clause [for example, deals 20% extra damage], so the entire skill description would be [Deals X damage. If the target is bleeding, then this skill deals 20% extra damage]. Limiting what effects you can have with certain clauses, as well as what skills can be customised, would aid balancing while creating more viable choices.)
  • Traits
  • Traitline expansion (i.e. a fourth Trait slot that you earn in a task related to that traitline. Doesn’t even need to increase stats)
  • Trait Points (through tasks, not simply leveling, much like the extra attribute points in GW1)

Granted, AI and mob variety would have to be developed to make this remotely useful

Character progression within the game world

• A missed opportunity was rising in the ranks of your Order. Randomly assigned Order Missions, doing events / dungeons related to your Order ect.
  • Gaining favour in areas to reduce waypoint costs, merchant costs ect.
Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

haviz.1340

And what is cheaper and faster to implement? And what is a compromise for deep character progression and a useless fluff?

Answer: more levels.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

• Skill Customisation (Scrap the passive traits [+dmg, -cooldown] and add them as options to attach to skills with a clause. So, for example, you have the skill, you then select the clause [for example, if bleeding] and then you select the effect if you meet the clause [for example, deals 20% extra damage], so the entire skill description would be [Deals X damage. If the target is bleeding, then this skill deals 20% extra damage]. Limiting what effects you can have with certain clauses, as well as what skills can be customised, would aid balancing while creating more viable choices.)
  • Traits
  • Traitline expansion (i.e. a fourth Trait slot that you earn in a task related to that traitline. Doesn’t even need to increase stats)
  • Trait Points (through tasks, not simply leveling, much like the extra attribute points in GW1)

Granted, AI and mob variety would have to be developed to make this remotely useful

• A missed opportunity was rising in the ranks of your Order. Randomly assigned Order Missions, doing events / dungeons related to your Order ect.

THIS IS PROGRESSION!

increasing level cap is tread mill. not progression.

TheDaiBish.9735

And what is cheaper and faster to implement? And what is a compromise for deep character progression and a useless fluff?

Answer: more levels.

Cheaper and faster, but it’s an illusion of progression.

What’s the difference between level 80 and 90?

Aside from stats going up, they’d have to implement extra trait slots and trait points to make it actually worth leveling up.

Which is something they could do while keeping the cap at 80 and simply adding content for players to do in order to advance their character and expand the options to them.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Short answer- no

long answer- if you are always chasing a bigger, better goal then you will never get anywhere.
because you are always chasing the next carrot over the hill.

There are many things to do in the game but it seems like you focused on better gear.
Many people here are very unhappy because that is exactly what we do not want in GW2- there are literally hundreds of games that offer that- why don’t you check them out?

Gunnar’s Hold

haviz.1340

Okay then, I propose transcended tier of gear in the next year.

TheDaiBish.9735

Okay then, I propose transcended tier of gear in the next year.

Or, how about some meaningful progression?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

See the bolded.

To expand a bit:

• Traits

You forgot Elite skill capping instead of just unlocking them

TheDaiBish.9735

See the bolded.

To expand a bit:

• Traits

You forgot Elite skill capping instead of just unlocking them

Huh. Could of sworn I wrote ‘through tasks’ for skills and traits :/

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

haviz.1340

It is meaningful. You progress through crafting, you cleanse zhaitan’s corruption throughout whole orr and you delve deeper and deeper into depths of tyria.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

It is meaningful. You progress through crafting, you cleanse zhaitan’s corruption throughout whole orr and you delve deeper and deeper into depths of tyria.

hmm bad troll attempt.
i am not amused.

try harder please!

TheDaiBish.9735

hmm bad troll attempt.
i am not amused.

try harder please!

It was more along the lines of sarcasm, not trolling.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

haviz.1340

hmm bad troll attempt.
i am not amused.

try harder please!

Countless people love this content. You can’t beat metrics anet has. Bad troll attempt.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

hmm bad troll attempt.
i am not amused.

try harder please!

Countless people love this content. You can’t beat metrics anet has. Bad troll attempt.

hmmm all right you got me.

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

I was going to write something here but screw it. OP go outside.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

So at least few player noticed we get 10% more dps and mobs magically get 10% more health

:)

illusion of progression…
Its called gear trendmill for a reason

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

haviz.1340

So at least few player noticed we get 10% more dps and mobs magically get 10% more health

:)

illusion of progression…
Its called gear trendmill for a reason

They can’t have more health because you don’t need ascended gear.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

The OP just described my worst nightmare ; p

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I would consider killing stronger NPCs.

I tell you a secret: Put off your nice shinies and magically the NPCs become harder.^^

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

A game that tries to be a game for everybody becomes a game for nobody.

Wiser words never spoken.

haviz.1340

I tell you a secret: Put off your nice shinies and magically the NPCs become harder.^^

You mean like this?