No carrot on a stick is a wonderful thing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Faze.6948

Faze.6948

Agreed, the lack of compulsory gear grind is a very refreshing change. I left LotRO because end-game had becoming nothing more than a statutory grind to get at the fun content (instances). Also, they went out of their way to kill having effective alts.

I hate this trend in MMOs. I have a job so I have no need to grind away hours, I am happy with who I am, so I have no need to show off – gaming is meant to be just for escapism and fun, but I do like the social and co-op elements of an MMO. So, GW2 excited me the moment I heard about it.

GW2 is player skill based, truly co-op and visual, just as they promised. Here, my lvl 80 just has a mixture of greens and yellows and I’d be more than happy to join my friends on a dungeon run. I’m still within 5% effectiveness in terms of raw stats. And even then, they don’t really matter. That difference is nothing compared to good timing, situational awareness etc. Bye bye meta gaming, hello actual real-time action combat.

If GW2 ends up becoming the niche MMO for older ppl with families that work full-time and would rather just play than crunch numbers… well, that wouldn’t be so bad. (And it wouldn’t be so bad for Anet either, older players have more $$ and less self-entitlement…)

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

I enjoy the carrot. Specially in a pvp or realm vs realm setting. Nice thing is there is no subscription so you can come and go if you don’t like it.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

If speaking in “carrot” terms, I agree with what many of you said recently about lack of gear grind being good.
What I do like in GW2 is last of the “carrot on the stick” and the fact that it makes you choose your own carrots.
What I don’t like is that, given my playstyle (semi-casual I guess), at the moment there are very few carrots within hand’s reach.
I’d like more goals to choose from that would not necessary all be gold sinks and huge grinds. :x

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

“were I am not getting out geared by people who play more than me.”

yeah god forbid a game reward people for you know playing the game, what a silly concept.

I play games to have fun and relax after a hard working day, not to get rewards.

Pogo and Farmville sound right up your alley not MMOs, they have always been driven by rewards for timed played.

Many old MMOs worked roughly how this works, where you could craft some of the best gear or buy it from a crafter.

WoW however set a new mindnumbingly boring standard. Grind away like its a second job that you actually have to pay monthly for to be allowed to work at the place.

Thats not what a game should be about, a game should be about having fun, if you enjoy grinding countless hours of raids then this isnt the MMO for you. But there are plenty to pick out there that follow in the trampled trail of WoW.

This game takes us back to the roots of when MMOs were good.

I had this same convo with a friend regarding sPvP. He hadnt even tried the sPvP and still said it was bad, imbalanced and no point trying, because he couldnt get better gear. What the hell happened to having fun in games?

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: Erhnam.5732

Erhnam.5732

To all the people that NEED a gear carrot:
There are lots of games with a gear focus carrot as end game. Yet instead of playing one of those games, yo cry because gw doesnt have it.

Then people complains that all the games are the same :rolleyes:

The thing is, i love everything about GW2 except the boring PvE end game. I love the WvW, the PvP, the mechanics and just the world in general. I would hate to leave the game because to me it could have been so much more. Right now i’m bored as hell while waiting for the WvW to reset since theres nth left for me to do in pve.

Play one game for one thing, other game for the other? Thats what I do

Posted by: Erhnam.5732

Erhnam.5732

It might be good for you, but people are leaving in droves becouse of lack of things to do

People are leaving because this game is not what they seek. So? Is the thing to do. Other people will stay because this is what they seek

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Its funny how many of these rose tinted mantra posts are beeing made every day.
“its good becouse i say so”

Load of bull. Some like it, some don’t. Both points are valid, but the game is made for those who like not having the carrot approach.

It might be good for you, but people are leaving in droves becouse of lack of things to do. My guild of 75 people logging in at start have dropped to 10.
So many have their char at lvl 80 and full exotic and max stats, so they stoped playing becouse they cant progress their character anymore.

People are not leaving in droves, but as with any game there is a good chunk of people who leave because this game isn’t for them. It happens to all games, especially MMOs.
You were probably in a guild with like minded people. It makes sense those guilds get hit hard when they found that when Anet said there wouldn’t be gear progression, they actually meant it.

Theres no queues to WvW even on the more populated servers, and theres almost more bots then players in Orr

This is a lie. I am on Piken Square. We are known as a roleplay server more than anything. There are WvWvW queues every night on our server.
And even though there are definitely bots on our servers, they don’t outnumber the players. I was completing the Orr zones a few days ago. Definitely a lot more players than bots there.

So please, stop acting like your personal experience with your guild on your server is representative for everyone. It isn’t.

But yes, if you want raiding with gear progression….wrong game. They said so for years and you didn’t listen. Sorry it worked out that way, but you could’ve known this game wasn’t about gear progression before you bought it.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Selo.1250

Selo.1250

Alot of people are leaving, but its been the same for many mmos lately and they have had one thing in common. Lack of endgame.

But yes, if you want raiding with gear progression….wrong game. They said so for years and you didn’t listen. Sorry it worked out that way, but you could’ve known this game wasn’t about gear progression before you bought it.

I read up on gw2 for years and i knew there wouldnt be any raids, but atleast many of us thought they would come up with something else. Now it just have even less to do then those “other” games.

And your probably one of those that only qeues for EB.

The “age” thing people are mentioning is not really true, im in my 30s myself and enjoy raiding and maximising my character, and ive met alot of couples above 50 that have been hardcore raiders. Ive played with people getting close to their 80s that are really good raiders.

Many old MMOs worked roughly how this works, where you could craft some of the best gear or buy it from a crafter.

those gear had stats and required pre gear, also with stats and alot of materials so it wasent like you got them for free.
someone mentioned before that they played uo without any carrot, thats just bs. UO had alot of character progression and armor with various stats, not just the same on every set, aswell as the runic crafting.

99% of the A mmos have been about treadmills, maximising and characyer progression.

“there are plenty of other games” you say? why arent you playing guild wars still then?

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

It really doesn’t matter what all other games have been going. GW2 decided against carrots. I really hope they stick to their ideals on this. Its a refreshing change. Now there really is a choice out in MMO world.

Carrot or No Carrot.

Take your pick.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

Alot of people are leaving, but its been the same for many mmos lately and they have had one thing in common. Lack of endgame.

I read up on gw2 for years and i knew there wouldnt be any raids, but atleast many of us thought they would come up with something else. Now it just have even less to do then those “other” games.

And your probably one of those that only qeues for EB.

The “age” thing people are mentioning is not really true, im in my 30s myself and enjoy raiding and maximising my character, and ive met alot of couples above 50 that have been hardcore raiders. Ive played with people getting close to their 80s that are really good raiders.

those gear had stats and required pre gear, also with stats and alot of materials so it wasent like you got them for free.
someone mentioned before that they played uo without any carrot, thats just bs. UO had alot of character progression and armor with various stats, not just the same on every set, aswell as the runic crafting.

99% of the A mmos have been about treadmills, maximising and characyer progression.

“there are plenty of other games” you say? why arent you playing guild wars still then?

How can you say for certain that people are leaving? Why would you leave? There is no monthly fee?

Posted by: Selo.1250

Selo.1250

People can still leave the game without a monthly subscription. If it is for now and will come back later when theres more things to do, is a different question though.
But in most cases mmos only get one chance nowadays

Posted by: Heretic.5817

Heretic.5817

Even though I don’t pay a monthly sub I still gave up sleep to play. ; )

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

People can still leave the game without a monthly subscription. If it is for now and will come back later when theres more things to do, is a different question though.
But in most cases mmos only get one chance nowadays

In any new game, there is “always” an initial surge of players. Then a leveling out of populations as content locusts swarm to the next new n’ shiny. But all good games will have a core of players that hang….for years even.

And GW2 is a darn good game.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Bonzoso.7014

Bonzoso.7014

It certainly isn’t a bad thing, but combined with the lack of a sub fee, not having a carrot on a stick is probably the reason I’m not really playing very much. Of course, that’s actually a good thing — I’m spending my gaming time playing non-MMOs that I’m more in the mood to play than Guild Wars 2. When I was subbed to WoW, I often found myself playing that all the time and missing out on other games I was also interested in, but I don’t have that issue with this game.

It’s like GW2 was designed to reassure me that I don’t have to log in if I don’t feel like it — like it’s always saying “I’ll be here, mostly unchanged, if you feel like playing again.” So I’ve been playing just a few hours a week…my highest-level character is 42. Maybe I’ll log in a bit more during the Halloween event, or maybe I’ll play Dishonored or X-Com instead. And with AC3 and Halo 4 just a couple weeks away, maybe GW2 will just take a permanent seat as my “side game.”

Posted by: Detahmaio.2014

Detahmaio.2014

I like how everyone who just LOVES gw2 has rose tinted glasses on and knows how the game is suppose to be played and who the game is ment to be played by.

Posted by: lacrimstein.5603

lacrimstein.5603

I like how everyone who just LOVES gw2 has rose tinted glasses on and knows how the game is suppose to be played and who the game is ment to be played by.

Precisely. It leads to rather awkward moments for those people, like today when a dev said that loot drops in dungeons are terrible and not what its supposed to be. Ealier, all the white knights chanted in unison about how we’re supposed to be doing dungeons “just for fun” and how we weren’t “getting” ArenaNet’s “vision”. So much for that…

(edited by lacrimstein.5603)