No more rank/glory from activities?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

When activities started rewarding rank/glory I was enthused. I dislike SPvP and TPvP greatly, but wanted to unlock more rank finishers for use in PvE (assuming the trend of finishers in PvE continues). The bit of rank/glory at the end of each match gave extra incentive to play the current activity of the day, leading me to actually enjoy southsun survival and lunatic inquisition.

Since today was sanctum sprint, I figured I would take an hour or two and earn my deer finisher, only to be disappointed by the fact that sanctum sprint no longer rewards rank/glory. Is this the case for all activities? If so, it was never mentioned in the patch notes.

I suppose I’ll just go back to ignoring these activities like I used to.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

(edited by Quarktastic.1027)

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

I’m honestly speechless from this post. I was going to put some sarcastic comment, but my brain actually hurts to much after reading this to figure one out.

Edit: This should be stickied on the PvP forums as the reason PvPers hate PvErs…

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

I’m honestly speechless from this post. I was going to put some sarcastic comment, but my brain actually hurts to much after reading this to figure one out.

Edit: This should be stickied on the PvP forums as the reason PvPers hate PvErs…

This comes across as narrow-minded to me. PvP can be defined as any competitive activity – and the activities are all competitive, albeit casually so. How is this different from any other format of structured PvP?

If we’re going to start excluding one form of competitive play from the PvP rank system for being casual, then we had best remove non-tournament hotjoin sPvP as well. Gaining experience in these hotjoins does not necessarily improve one’s performance in ranked tPvP, after all.

Posted by: Mash Hog.5672

Mash Hog.5672

PvP Finshers are made for PvP, they are made to show your experience in PvP.
If you want PvP finishers, go PvP.
There are finishers you can buy from the Gem Store if you want a nice finisher in PvE.

Gasmic > Mic Gazzy
Leader of [GASM] #ELEtism
(Retired) Commander [2500+ tPvP Matches Won]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I expected this, but it would have been nice to keep the glory coming in from activities. It did make me more eager to play them. It’s fun to have different finishers, if we are going to be finishing enemies in PvE. If the game is going to bring aspects of PvP into PvE (aforementioned finishers), then I would be thrilled to be able to earn some (albeit slowly) from Activities.

Posted by: FluffyFox.2756

FluffyFox.2756

I thought the reason they said that they were changing how glory was earned was to normalize glory gain per game mode… it felt like it was implied that activities should also be getting glory gain.

Quarktastic.1027

There are finishers you can buy from the Gem Store if you want a nice finisher in PvE.

I want a wolf finisher to use in pve. However, I dislike pvp and have no desire to grind hotjoins and tournaments until I hit rank 30. I was more than happy to grind sanctum sprint and southsun survival though, as those forms of pvp are actually engaging and interesting.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I was under the impression Sanctum Sprint was PVP.

Do you or do you not attack other players whilst racing to be 1st?

Posted by: Mash Hog.5672

Mash Hog.5672

I thought the reason they said that they were changing how glory was earned was to normalize glory gain per game mode… it felt like it was implied that activities should also be getting glory gain.

No, this was so they can add new game modes to the game (CTF, Deathmatch, ect.)

Gasmic > Mic Gazzy
Leader of [GASM] #ELEtism
(Retired) Commander [2500+ tPvP Matches Won]

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

It was a bug.
I wasn’t farming the activities anyway because I like sPvP better, but I think every kind of PvP should be rewarded as such. And, well, the activities are PvP.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

well in a way it is pvp as you are competing versus other players

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Why? If someone would use this as a reason to hate anyone else, i’d say that the problem would be in him.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Quarktastic.1027

The glorious pvp master race?

Activities are pvp. They should be rewarded as such. I’d certainly play them more if they were.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Frankly I agree with the majority here. It isn’t hard core PvP, but it does pit players vs. players and therefore qualifies. I enjoyed doing them knowing there was some reward to work towards since finishers are now in PvE. I would play the activities more than to just get my daily, but now with no rewards worth repeating I’ll be getting back to just doing it for the daily and moving on. Very disappointing and bad form on Anet’s side!

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The question isn’t if it’s PvP or not, because WvW is PvP and awards no glory.

Glory was originally the reward for people who SPvP. That was what it was. It’s understandable they’d want a reward for that that’s exclusive, because they get no experience and very little loot from it, unlike PvE players (the players who mostly play mini games) who get tons of loot.

In fact, when you finish a minigame you get gear, you get coin, you get karma….which isn’t true for those who SPvP.

Either Anet needs to add other rewards to SPvP or we should leave glory to them as the only real currency they acquire.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Glory was originally the reward for people who SPvP. That was what it was. It’s understandable they’d want a reward for that that’s exclusive, because they get no experience and very little loot from it, unlike PvE players (the players who mostly play mini games) who get tons of loot.

In fact, when you finish a minigame you get gear, you get coin, you get karma….which isn’t true for those who SPvP.

Either Anet needs to add other rewards to SPvP or we should leave glory to them as the only real currency they acquire.

WvW isn’t explicitly defined as PvP. It’s gear-based, unstructured, and integrates a number of PvE elements for no legitimate competitive reason whatsoever. It’s clearly intended to be a bridge between PvP and PvE without actually classifying as either.

Mini-games are technically structured and pure PvP, despite most of them not involving direct combat.

Now, honestly I would prefer that sPvP and activities have entirely separate rewards. Mini-games need more incentives and more achievements. SPvP could use exclusive skin unlocks for the account that could be carried over to PvE.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

WvW isn’t explicitly defined as PvP. It’s gear-based, unstructured, and integrates a number of PvE elements for no legitimate competitive reason whatsoever. It’s clearly intended to be a bridge between PvP and PvE without actually classifying as either.

Mini-games are technically structured and pure PvP, despite most of them not involving direct combat.

Now, honestly I would prefer that sPvP and activities have entirely separate rewards. Mini-games need more incentives and more achievements. SPvP could use exclusive skin unlocks for the account that could be carried over to PvE.

Since WvW involves players fighting players, killing players directly, and in fact, earning bonuses for your world, it would be hard for me to deny it’s PvP. Certainly I consider WvW to be PvP more than Sanctum Sprint, or something like Crab Toss.

The difference is, this game started with these games NOT giving glory and again, they DO give other rewards. WvW gives karma, experience and gold. What does SPvP give.

Believe me, that format needs all the help it can get.

Posted by: FluffyFox.2756

FluffyFox.2756

WvW has a plethora of rewards, including its own unique badges of honor. It doesn’t really need glory.

Activities, on the other hand, give like… what, one of those little chests per game where you get a blue and 300 karma? I don’t think glory is off the table, albeit it should be a reduced amount compared to spvp.

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

I’m glad they fixed this

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

When activities started rewarding rank/glory I was enthused. I dislike SPvP and TPvP greatly, but wanted to unlock more rank finishers for use in PvE (assuming the trend of finishers in PvE continues). The bit of rank/glory at the end of each match gave extra incentive to play the current activity of the day, leading me to actually enjoy southsun survival and lunatic inquisition.

Since today was sanctum sprint, I figured I would take an hour or two and earn my deer finisher, only to be disappointed by the fact that sanctum sprint no longer rewards rank/glory. Is this the case for all activities? If so, it was never mentioned in the patch notes.

My initial reaction was to shut you down by pointing out that we all assumed that the glory / rank gain in activities was unintentional and got fixed.

But your mention of PvP finishers in PvE (and WvW) got me thinking.

I PvP more and more, but I wouldn’t mind if activities awarded some rank and glory. Maybe not exactly the same as sPvP and tPvP, as you gain gold & karma from them as well, but I have nothing against a healthy compromise. I don’t begrudge other players their rank / glory.

The line between PvP and PvE has been blurred by ANet first when they introduced PvP finishers to PvE.

Quarktastic.1027

My initial reaction was to shut you down by pointing out that we all assumed that the glory / rank gain in activities was unintentional and got fixed.

But your mention of PvP finishers in PvE (and WvW) got me thinking.

I PvP more and more, but I wouldn’t mind if activities awarded some rank and glory. Maybe not exactly the same as sPvP and tPvP, as you gain gold & karma from them as well, but I have nothing against a healthy compromise. I don’t begrudge other players their rank / glory.

The line between PvP and PvE has been blurred by ANet first when they introduced PvP finishers to PvE.

There is also the incentive of pvp skins. Activities use the spvp interface, and spvp armor. Being able to unlock new skins with the glory rewards was a nice bonus.

-BnooMaGoo.5690