No mounts - I simply don't understand...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yata.8932

Yata.8932

Yeah I run everywhere I hardly even use waypoints, not because I like to run but because I can save money that way. My main point however is that I don’t mind running everywhere, if I really need to get somewhere fast, then yes waypoints are useful but honestly if you just go to the heart of the mists and gate travel to Lion’s Arch you can get most places pretty quickly.

Posted by: NBlitz.9083

NBlitz.9083

There are plenty of games out there that have mounts. Why not play them instead of complaining this game doesn’t have mounts. And if all else fails try three free programs kitten,blender,unity make a game that you want to play.

Careful what you wish for.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

I just don’t see the point. There is a tele every 5 feet.

Maybe in dungeons though. The run back to group can get a bit irritating.

Posted by: Mug.9403

Mug.9403

I don’t know why a game needs mounts… because another game has mounts?

Would these mounts make you move faster… because another game had mounts that made you move faster?

Do those other games need instant waypoints now?

Game design and theory is far more complicated that what you are giving it, it must have a time sink to build a community. It must have consequences for actions, inconvenience for helping… etc… I would probably give that some thought if I didn’t understand it.

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

The community completely SUCKS. Stop being so defensive.. We are simply requesting an awesome feature. Not kittening about it. Grow up.

Because your opinion is more valuable than anyone else’s? They are entitled to share their viewpoint just as much you are.

Posted by: Shadowflare.2759

Shadowflare.2759

@Colton’s previous reply:

I don’t see your point. Waypoints are still extremely common in keeps in the more serious WvW servers. If it’s got to be done, it’s got to be done. As of now it’s just another expense like siege weapons, neither of which people are skimping on, if they care about WvW. Sure, they could definitely just add an automatic waypoint in the keeps, but that’s a suggestion for the future, something unnecessary but more convenient.

Getting to a battle isn’t hard, and really doesn’t take that long either if you have some sort of skill which increases movespeed. As far as I can tell most classes have them, and many are aoe so you can even chain them together with someone else.

If you miss a battle because of travel time, then that’s just what it is. The enemies were able to take advantage of your world’s weakness and capture your land.

This is how large scale battles are and should be, things take time, this isn’t going to change just because this is a game. If everyone can just get to anywhere easily, then all we’d see is zergs dying and sprinting back, there would be no logical lull in battle. The current system is perfectly fine without mounts.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

The problem with adding a lot of mounts is that you end up with trade district, stormwind by the time your 3rd expansion pack hits. You can’t even see the ground or sky because everyone has their superluminous mega superdragon mount.

GW2’s design eliminates the need for mounts, and the problems that go with them.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Arenanet has never stated they won’t put mounts in to the game, they have stated they will never put flying mounts in to the game.

I don’t particularly care either way, I never used anything but the basic mount in WoW, and was never even able to force myself to grind a character beyond level 50 anyway.

But for all the people making lame excuses about game mechanics, a mount fulfills a fantasy archetype beyond what profession and race can. Who cares about mechanics? If the game were only about mechanics, they could have made GW2 so that everyone plays a grey brick, on an endless grey field, battling larger or smaller grey bricks with blandly numbered and categorized abilities. And it would have taken a fraction of the development time, staff, and investment funds. But would it feel like the same game? Would it be as fun, engaging, immersive? No, it would not. Fantasy matters.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I honestly don’t miss mounts, I find the combination of teleporting, walking (yes, I’m a walker sometimes) and running quite sufficient.

However, I can’t deny the coolness factor of riding a horse or something in a game. I would certainly enjoy mounts of they put them in the game.

But not out of my kittenhole please. Have them be tetherable (i.e. you leave them somewhere and you have to go back to them), and not allowed in buildings.

Posted by: Rack.4930

Rack.4930

Some professions have better speed boosts than others. Equality would be nice.

-Slow Engineer

Slow Engineer? You do realise Engineers have the easiest access to Perma Swiftness of any class in the game?

Game design and theory is far more complicated that what you are giving it, it must have a time sink to build a community. It must have consequences for actions, inconvenience for helping… etc… I would probably give that some thought if I didn’t understand it.

What? No, just no, seriously no. Just no. Time sinks? Inconveniences? No, these are just flat out poor or off kilter design decisions. Bad game design bad!

That aside I’d say mounts would be nice but low priority. Democratise swiftness out of combat and reduce the scaling of waypoints and then focus on the important aspects.

(edited by Rack.4930)

Posted by: Enenion.8127

Enenion.8127

I wouldn’t mind mounts, but mounts as have been made standard by other MMOs would just not fit in GW2. For starters, you already run fast out of combat and have plenty of movement skills at your disposal already to travel. Secondly, if you need to travel long distances, there is the waypoint and maptravel system that lets you access pretty much anywhere in the world quickly.

If they do put mounts in GW2 they should add them as Environmental Weapons. You should have to pick up your mount from stable NPCs around the world instead of magically pulling it out of your backpack (so they are not available in cities to avoid clutter) and it should replace your first 5 skills with a new set of skills depending on the mount. Being downed would then cause the mount to run back to the stable where it was kept, leaving you down on the ground. This way mounts become interesting, are actually useful for something other than a pure speed boost and actually add something positive to the game.

[Help],
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

Nuts to all of this combat inclusion, should be limited to city only cosmetic gold sinks. Put some shinies on it, throw your guild emblem on there and have at it.

Posted by: Geemo.6018

Geemo.6018

The artwork is so beautiful in this game that it’s a shame to not have ground mounts. Having a ground mount would be the equivalent of jumping in the car to enjoy a nice ride while enjoying the scenery……

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Mounts would result in fewer people stopping for DEs, stopping to help res someone, stopping to help slay that pesky veteran, stopping to play the game. Anet has designed a game that encourages player-player interaction. Mounts would reduce the amount of interaction that occurs. Instead, we have multiple waypoints per map zone. I know there’s a fee (that issue in another thread), but we have ways of zipping thru zones quickly. Not to mention I feel that I can cover quite a bit of ground on foot rather quickly. And everyone has a decent Swiftness boost skill.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: asmariya.1096

asmariya.1096

I dont understand you people, who doesn’t want mounts?!

=^.^=
Elesh of Norn
Guardian

Posted by: Kouken.8604

Kouken.8604

I dont understand why people request mounts, characters move so quick, and theres waypoints everywhere

mounts are awful in mmos, used by lazy people to skip passed content and mob spawns,

Flying mounts were one of the worst additions to an mmo

+1 to no mounts ever!

Posted by: FarFarAway.6579

FarFarAway.6579

Mounts are fun, especially when there’s a large variety of them that you can collect.

Posted by: Ukaei.8694

Ukaei.8694

Mounts would result in fewer people stopping for DEs, stopping to help res someone, stopping to help slay that pesky veteran, stopping to play the game. Anet has designed a game that encourages player-player interaction. Mounts would reduce the amount of interaction that occurs. Instead, we have multiple waypoints per map zone. I know there’s a fee (that issue in another thread), but we have ways of zipping thru zones quickly. Not to mention I feel that I can cover quite a bit of ground on foot rather quickly. And everyone has a decent Swiftness boost skill.

On the contrary.. I would actually make it in time for those dynamic events if I had a mount.

How many times.. I’ve been slowed down by a rogue monster.. hampering my efforts to get to the dynamic event.

Adding GROUND MOUNTS would have no consequnce at all to the games social aspect and beauty. As a fellow poster mentioned, mounts would be like getting on a car and enjoying the scenery instead of walking.

Posted by: Althirion.7368

Althirion.7368

When ingame populations begin to fall mounts will come. Some sort of expansion or update that you will have to pay for, its such an easy way to claim they are adding new content while not being particularly difficult to implement. Should make them a few $$$ as well.

Posted by: Arsenal.2601

Arsenal.2601

This game was designed from the ground up to remove any hurdles to off path exploration and organic team-up play. Mounts are considered one of those hurdles. At this point in time, I agree.

“I’m always achieving greatness!”

Posted by: Salfos.4091

Salfos.4091

The lore of this game also doesn’t call for mounts, notice in some events everything is transported by dolyak or some other heavy load carrying beast. These are also seen attached to carts as people transport by carts. So mounts don’t fit the whole Lore of GW universe

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I wouldn’t MIND having (non-flying) mounts, but the hate people spew because there aren’t any is ridiculous. The game doesn’t need them, so if we don’t get them it’s NBD.

Posted by: CthulhuDawn.8194

CthulhuDawn.8194

I despise mounts in any MMO. They’re completely unnecessary. Don’t be lazy, just walk.

Posted by: Colton.9460

Colton.9460

I wouldn’t MIND having (non-flying) mounts, but the hate people spew because there aren’t any is ridiculous. The game doesn’t need them, so if we don’t get them it’s NBD.

Is this a serious post? I can’t find one post in this thread that is overtly negative or hateful from people wanting mounts. For the most part it seems the majority of hate sprewing posters are agianst the mounts and think if you want them you should just leave the game.

“I’m watching you violate my game mode”

Posted by: NBlitz.9083

NBlitz.9083

When ingame populations begin to fall mounts will come. Some sort of expansion or update that you will have to pay for, its such an easy way to claim they are adding new content while not being particularly difficult to implement. Should make them a few $$$ as well.

Get outta my head! ;-)

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

I dont want mounts because the implementation is always immersion breaking.

Whistle poof I’mmonamount
and thornprick poof i’m dismounted by a thorn, let me resummon my mount again.

Ugh.

Sure they could implement them such that you have to go to a stable to get your mount, and when your mount dies, its dead. But there is no reason to work through all the design problems of allowing them (people on mounts doing jumping puzzles, getting places they shouldnt, etc). It’s better to simply not have them and give players the ability to give themselves speed boosts.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: Stormcycle.4208

Stormcycle.4208

No mounts period in PvP or WvW. ,

In PvE maybe a horse, but definitely no flying mounts ever. They ruined WoW, they ruin ever other game, don’t do it.

And you would be insane to put mounts in WvW and I seriously doubt they would ever do that, it would completely change the dynamics of the fight, speeding it up and allowing people to avoid each other.

Basically it would ruin it. I think thats what some people who post on these forums want though. Always happens with every new MMO, a bunch of kitten post bad ideas or troll threads aimed at baiting the developers into making a bad decision or aimed at tarnishing the games image.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Mounts are cool.
It seems that a lot of GW1 players are fundamentally against cool stuff.
I say we are lucky we even got some cool looking armor and weapons,because apparently they too are a reason for negativity in MMOs.
So,to say that you don’t like cool stuff is ok.I understand that.
But saying that:
" With mounts, speed buff would lose any kind of necessity for groups. Everyone would just pick up their mounts from their pockets and run around at maximum speed"
“So, once we get mounts you know what will happen? Streched-out zones that require an equal time to travel from A to B, but on an expensive mount”
“If you think it’s too expensive, walk. Simple”
“I’d think that if people were mounted, they would be less likely to stop and interact with the world / player base”
Come on.
These are not serious arguments.
Walking is boring.
Larger zones with fewer instances is the way to go.
I can pretty much ignore you dismounted,if that means not doing the same event that
I just did a few min ago(for the 5th time)
As for grouping.
Riding with your party,or your warband,or whatever you call it,on your way to storm a keep,is just as cool as liquid nitrogen.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Enzi.5496

Enzi.5496

I don’t like mounts and I respect Anet for not putting them ingame.

Is it really that great to sit on a virtual horse? I never really understood why people crave for mounts so much. I mean it’s a great way to get from A to B without scratches and running through enemy camps rofling around because mobs never actually catch you, but who needs them when you can teleport while keeping the mob experience intact? Zones like Orr would be a huge problem with mounts.

But whatever, I don’t want to be that guy that is against something just because I don’t need it. When Anet can add grounded mounts without ruining the experience they should go for it, but I think that’s why we don’t have any.

(edited by Enzi.5496)

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

we don’t need mounts, because Elementalists outrun centaurs. Doesn’t get any faster than that..unless it is undead/Risen.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I think it would be fun if they allowed you to mount the Moa’s in the game for a temp. mount, especially if they were hard to control, would be funny seeing players on them and gave the mounter voices like “WhoaaaH birdy!” while they ran past you trying to make them run in a straight line

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

the only mount i’d be ok with is if we could fly the choppers around in the orr area. Other than that no, no mounts.

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

The skill of riding has been lost when the last of the dolyak rider got turned into stone.

Posted by: Jalliah.7862

Jalliah.7862

I like mounts. I just like the asthetics of riding around and collecting them. While I would love to have them in this game I don’t feel lost without them. I’m not finding it a big problem traveling around on foot especially with speed boosts.

If they decide it works with the game design and they’re added in the future great. If not then no big deal.

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

I’m all up for mounts as long as they move the same speed as the player.

Posted by: Leon Trotsky.3674

Leon Trotsky.3674

Mounts go by the same concept of cars.

At a first moment you have sober and utilitarian mounts.

Then you blink and we have shiny unicorns ridden by some flamboyant Mesmer by the name of Mr. Yolo Swagster

Or worse, Zhaitan-sized dragon mounts ridden by the same lads who bought Hummers.

Posted by: Bassario.3465

Bassario.3465

I just don’t see the point. There is a tele every 5 feet.

Maybe in dungeons though. The run back to group can get a bit irritating.

Lol, not only do you see the point but you are adding more reasons to it. Good work. WvWvW is an even bigger concern for me, as sometimes the battle will be over when u are done casually jogging for 5 minutes.

Anyway… thanks everyone for your input, I’m sure the devs are pondering how they can fix this one and we will be travelling sensibly and merrily soon enough, and I will ad that as insane as it is not having anyway to travel efficiently and being forced into sinking an exponential amount of cash into waypoints as u level, as insane as that is on almost every other front the game has proven to be a cut above and I am pretty happy with it over all.

Sorry I didnt read everyone’s post I stopped after something like 25 because WOW ive never had that many responses before, and I have a lot on. Barely enough time to play the game :P good luck and c u in Tyria. Where chicken legs are NEVER a problem.

EDIT: Also, Leon Trotsky: (great name by the way) Why does it have to be like that? I agree entierly, it doesn’t have to be like that and when Dev’s add mounts hopefully they will listen and be sensible and I have a feeling they will. None of that dirty “pay $15 for a mount made of the bloody stars” ***vomits*** Have a good day, and watch out for dudes with ice picks when ur at your local library.

(edited by Bassario.3465)

Posted by: Nick.3926

Nick.3926

The game was not designed with mounts in mind.

I don’t understand why some people feel they are a necessity.

There are waypoints literally everywhere, if you feel run speed is too slow, use them.

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

Mounts would be nice to have, but 99.9% of the time, it would be used to bypass even stuff that would be SLIGHTLY insignificant. Whereas having no mount means you are given a much heavier choice of which objective is more significant.

On top of that, if mounts were allowed to be used in a dungeon, then I could see how they would be used to skip a considerable amount of trash, which I honestly think is bad dungeon design; but dungeon design is a totally different topic altogether, especially when it comes to the difficulty issues that some are having.

If anything, I would say that if mounts were to be included, I could see some mobs out in the wild that could do extra damage or even knockdowns to mounted players, similar to how the sharpshooters in Caudecus’ Manor can do extra damage to moving targets.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

Actually mounts in mmorpg is made for buying them from game shop, that’s a fact. So developers can earn
money from such things. I can’t see why do we need this mounts in Guild Wars?

You just haven’t get use to play without this mounts, that’s it, and nothing more.

I repeat. Mounts are for spending real money for buying them from game shop. It’s one of the ways,
how developers in other mmorpg gaining their money, since they simple doesn’t have a good game content.

Seize the day.

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

Here’s what I want:

Mounts should be a part of your character. The 1 to 5 skills are a prime example of how this can be implemented. When you get on your mount your skills should be switched out and from there be integrated with you class.

Let me give an example. Let’s say I have a tiger mount. When I get on the tiger my skill bar get switched out with a new set of skills, 1 to 3 are my tiger skills, while 4 and 5 are class skills. 1 can be something like fury swipes that do bleed damage, 2 can be a pounce that cripples my target, while 3 can be a speed boost. So instead of making mounts have an indefinite speed boost, you’ll have a speed skill. For instance, my tiger’s 3rd skill is called dash, which when activated grants swiftness as long as I remain moving. The moment I stop the 20 second cooldown starts.

Finally, the 4 and 5 class skills. Let’s say I’m a mace and shield guardian. While mounted my mace will cause my 4th skill to cast a ray of light that damage nearby enemies and burn attackers. The 5th shield skill will create a bubble that grants stability and stops projectiles.

Something like that. I think GW2 has a brilliant opportunity to integrate mounts into gameplay. Who knows, there could even be mounted PvP arenas.

(edited by Azjenco.9425)

Kreslin.6832

To Azjenco.9425.

This is not WoW, or Perfect World and etc. Why do we have the waypoints then? I Origin Guild Wars wasn’t any mount and we lived with it.

If you want mounts, remove waypoints. But this will cause many changes, it’s impossible.

Seize the day.

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

Reply to Kreslin.6832
…What?
Clearly you didn’t even bother reading my post. I suggested mounts have an interesting potential to be implemented into the game to work as weapons. As in, just as you pick up a flaming greatsword created by en ele, now you can jump on a mount and have an entirely new set of skills.

If you don’t like that idea, great, but what the hell does that have to do with waypoints?? And I know there weren’t mounts per se in GW1. HOWEVER, do you remember the siege devourer in EotN? You could climb on top of one and gain a new set of skills? What I suggested is the exact same thing!

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

You have WPs you have mounts.

You want to go from point A to point B the fastest means possible what do you do?
You WP.

You want to take in the sights and splendor of Tyria without being constantly chased by mobs, what do you do? Speed boost.
Whats a nice way to visually implement perma passive speed boost? Mounts.

Also the wvwvw thing makes sense too.

Kreslin.6832

There is a little bit different between speed boost and mount. Speed boost is a temporary, mount isn’t.

Azjenco.9425, yes, I remember devourer, now I cans see your point. =)

Seize the day.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Mounts are cool.
It seems that a lot of GW1 players are fundamentally against cool stuff.
I say we are lucky we even got some cool looking armor and weapons,because apparently they too are a reason for negativity in MMOs.
So,to say that you don’t like cool stuff is ok.I understand that.
But saying that:
" With mounts, speed buff would lose any kind of necessity for groups. Everyone would just pick up their mounts from their pockets and run around at maximum speed"
“So, once we get mounts you know what will happen? Streched-out zones that require an equal time to travel from A to B, but on an expensive mount”
“If you think it’s too expensive, walk. Simple”
“I’d think that if people were mounted, they would be less likely to stop and interact with the world / player base”
Come on.
These are not serious arguments.
Walking is boring.
Larger zones with fewer instances is the way to go.
I can pretty much ignore you dismounted,if that means not doing the same event that
I just did a few min ago(for the 5th time)
As for grouping.
Riding with your party,or your warband,or whatever you call it,on your way to storm a keep,is just as cool as liquid nitrogen.

You are aware that “cool” is a highly subjective thing? We do not have Vanilla Ice music in game, even though a lot of people considered him cool at some point. Also, I have no idea how you come to that judgement about GW1 communities.

Posted by: deriver.5381

deriver.5381

The game was not designed with mounts in mind.

I don’t understand why some people feel they are a necessity.

There are waypoints literally everywhere, if you feel run speed is too slow, use them.

Because people just can’t have enough. Really! It all boils down to people always wanting more than what they got.

If mounts are ever added, then we will have complains about the game not having enough diversity for mounts, or they not moving fast enough, or the the absence of flying ones…

And the follow up comments like:

“… because moving around slowly is just not fun”,
“… because moving around mounted on the same mount as everyone else is not fun”
“… because moving around instead of flying around is not fun”
“… because everything besides having the coolest mount ever imagined is not fun”

And it will go on indefinitely…

Now, I’m not completely against them, altho I do believe they will add unecessary chaos to crowded places where everyone is trying to show their cool looking mounts to the world. Also, if they are ever implemented, then take away swiftness from the game and replace it with something else.

Now, if mounts are implemented as what Azjenco proposed and just be a temporary enviromental weapon with a cool factor, then I believe it would be nice.

(edited by deriver.5381)

Posted by: Wildclaw.6073

Wildclaw.6073

I’m all up for mounts as long as they move the same speed as the player.

I would very much laugh if Anet actually did introduce Dolyaks as the only mount and had them move at the same speed as the Dolyaks in WvW

Posted by: CJAncients.6907

CJAncients.6907

Never really liked mounts from my experience in WoW. Every race had to have a special one made for them, and each new expansion added more. As of MoP, everyone has a “cool and special” mount that’s not really cool and special. In the end it just made the visuals bloated. There is also lack a cohesiveness because different mounts from different expansions have different visual themes.

Also, to use WoW as an example again. With faster mounts came larger zones. In the end even though you are moving faster, you aren’t getting anywhere faster.

A class that revolves around mounted combat, or as a temporary weapon sounds cool. My concern is that it will follow the trend of every race gets a special mount.

(edited by CJAncients.6907)

Posted by: Trebloh.2135

Trebloh.2135

Personally, I haven’t missed mounts at all in this game.