No mounts - I simply don't understand...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BatteryBiscuits.1573

BatteryBiscuits.1573

well it would be immersion breaking in a way, let’s say your doing a jumping puzzle jumping from thin pole to thin pole carefully and then you see this guy on his zhaitan mount clipping through everything and blocking your view, it would just be weird looking at it.

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

it may be gw 2 but it’s still a gw. make a running build and go.

Posted by: Corban.2940

Corban.2940

Mounts don’t make you go faster. Increasing a variable makes you go faster. You can increase this variable through traits, consumbles etc at the moment. Why is it so important that you increase this variable by riding something?

I simply don’t understand how anyone can make the argument I need a mount to go faster.

Stop taking the red pills

(edited by Corban.2940)

Posted by: Chaz.1835

Chaz.1835

I really enjoy the fact there is no mounts of encourage people speeding through the entire map, take your time and enjoy the what the game has to offer and explore

Posted by: oplompolom.4379

oplompolom.4379

I know why ArenaNet Devs are hesitant about mounts in the game.

It’s not the mounts themselves, their appearance, or whether the character model sits on top of it correctly: The problem is keeping the mounts’ movement the same as the gravity and physical motion of the player allowed by Havoc. The disparity between that and something like how WoW mounts work is just far too big.

If you’ve looked at the mounts in Tera, Rift, or WoW, the one thing I shiver to is their instantaneous switching of direction; it just looks plain terrible.

With a game engine like Tera (Ureal Engine), I was very surprised that got past development as the actual class you play is affected by physics; their mounts are not.

ArenaNet has highly likely noticed this as well, and their game engine is as capable as the Unreal Engine, and far beyond anything else in the MMO space.
In some respects, the GW2 engine bares a lot of resemblance to how it handles LoD and DoF as Crytek’s Cryengine: Add Havoc physics in there and the devs need to allot their Mounts the same principle craft to that design.

Posted by: TinyHowie.3946

TinyHowie.3946

Removing mounts make speed boost skills a lot more valuable.

When I just hit 60 in WoW, I couldn’t afford the epic mount, so every match in AV I was left behind with others with the same fate to defend the camp. Simply because, those epic mounted 60s would reach me and ganked me off anyway at 1/3 of the map and forced me back to the start. I don’t find it any more fair to GW 2 walking.

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

Guild Wars is trying to be different if you add mounts then it is just like every other mmo . I personally dislike mounts found no use for them. Same with mini pets a little thing that follows you around and does nothing.

Same here.

Mounts are there to cater to the barby doll crowd ‘my ken and barby need a car!’ and the ‘look what i got , aren’t i cool!1’ crowd.I dislike mounts since all you see is mounts everywhere and people spamming their emotes 24/7 and whenever you are on a mount the entire map just goes by unnoticed. At least in gw2 you can insta travel when needed but the game also makes you travel through the map since to much teleporting costs money instead of flying your mount afk.

I was always quite happy that there where no mounts in TWS but even in that game people were asking for things like skates , rollerblades,hoverboards…….i mean seriously lol.

They look dumb and there is no need for them in gw2.

How does not having a flying bird or something stupid like that break the game for anyone like some here claim?

Posted by: brickforlife.1364

brickforlife.1364

I would love mounts, only if they met these conditions.

- No flying, or hovering
- Can only jump 60% distance
- Can only run at 80% speed.

Why? So mounts aren’t simply cheap methods to get past objectives and are purely cosmetic. You can mob train in GW2 and if you’re flying by on a 140% speed mount then someone is gonna get hurt. If you’re at 80% speed you’ll just die.

Join
[BEAR] www.gw2bear.com
[DATE] www.tyriadating.com

Posted by: AveryFarman.2973

AveryFarman.2973

I, too, am curious about this pressure to include mounts. I honestly hope mounts aren’t introduced – we move more than quickly enough to handle short distance navigation, and waypoints provide ample long distance navigation. Maps are designed to take both short and long distance navigation into account when dealing with discovery, respawning, and so on.

There’s no reason to somehow force mounts into the world – it would break game mechanics that are clearly working. If they’re introduced as a cosmetic item, and not as a travel aid, I’m OK with that. Otherwise, skip it – mounts aren’t worth breaking game mechanics. Between the bugs, the bots, and the TP robots, the game has enough to deal with right now.

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

Okay, so lets see if I’m getting this straight, you’d prefer to buy an expensive, say 20 gold mount+training … instead of paying 1 silver, 50 copper for a teleport.

Ok…

Posted by: Michael.2493

Michael.2493

Mounts are being held off till game goes lil stale then will be added to gem store only..its a money thing plain and simple..lets not be naive.

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

Lets not be naive? Lets think logical I’d say. The game doesn’t need mounts. It will brake game, and Arena won’t do it. What makes you think they will?
Look at GW1 shop.

Okay, we are wasting our time. This topic is worthless. I highly doubt that Arena will add riding mounts.

Seize the day.

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

put something basic out of a genre – tell ppl it’s “fresh” and “new”

no duels: fresh and new
no face-to-face trading: fresh and new
no mounts: fresh and new

awesome logic, fanboys

the biggest argument i’ve read so far which would speak against mounts is “you miss 90% percent of the games content with them”

i can do that easly without mounts too

also just don’t give them accelerate, just good ol’ 33% faster than without – some classes can do so already without them – that way, anyone can
and it looks way more cool (depending on the type of mount)

i have no doubt that they will be implentet
maybe next month, year or expansion, who know, but it will happen

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”