No waypoints is glorious!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

I’m of the complete opposite opinion. I HATE that there is only one waypoint, especially when you can just randomly die dropping into the Sarlacc pit those gaping mouth things (even just slowly dropping in).

Your slowly dropping in method is the reason you die. JUMP IN WITH A FURY AND BLOOD.

Seriously, jump in the middle, not kitten foot off the edge like a dainty princess.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

If people are really afraid of spending to much time in a game MMO’s in general are not the best choice of games anyway.

This is a silly argument to make. If people are hear then they’re here for a reason, it’s not for you to diminish them because their reasons are different than your own.

Personally, I love to explore, but I also get bored of things quickly. Seeing something for the first time in a while can be magical, seeing it even the second time, meh. I enjoy actually playing this game quite a bit, but I really HATE “runbacks,” having to jog back to where I last died. If I want to travel on foot, I’ll travel on foot, and I imagine I do it more than most since I’m fairly stingy about WP costs, but ideally I’ll have the minimal “downtime” after falling in this game.

So for once death means something in this game.. If you die it’s supposed to be a serious pain!

Nah, never been a fan of that philosophy. Death’s just something that happens from time to time. Having to get repaired, having a reasonable run-back, these are reasonable penalties, but the current run-back to Amber is way too long. It’s not a Rogue-0like or anything, but it’s more onerous than it has to be.

It shows something about the brainless, unpunished, zerg content much of the game has become and how many people have become used to that.

Yeah, because they like it. Have you ever considered that perhaps the bulk of GW2 players are not “spoiled” by the game having convenient WPing, but rather that they play this game over others BECAUSE the game has convenient WPing? I mean, I doubt that alone is the number one reason for anyone, but I imagine more current GW2 players genuinely prefer it that way rather than otherwise.

This does not make them lesser beings than those that prefer harsh death penalties, it just makes them gamers that prefer different things from the game, that are more excited by fooling around in a fight than they are with the thrill of imminent death on a razor’s edge. Just understand that GW2 is the game that GW2 is, and the players of GW2 largely enjoy the game that GW2 is. They can change things as they go, but they need to be careful that they don’t change the things that the majority of players actually enjoy about the game.

No game can be for every player, and there are a lot of people on these forums that seem to insist that this game should be morphed into something it never was, and never claimed to be.

It’s not silly. MMO’s simply take more time then your average game.

“I imagine more current GW2 players”
Yeah here is the thing. Many current players probably like brainless zerg content and map completion does fit a little in that as it’s just striping of a list this way in stead of really exploring. That is however because many people who dislike it might have left.

The only problem with this type of content is that even those who like it will likely get bored with it while other types of content can stay fun also over the longer term. So then the question is if you would really only want to focus on a subgroup of players that is likely to also get bored with what you are giving the. Or you should simply try to also give content that is also interesting for another subgroup that is then more likely to keep playing.

It looks like Anet has now decided to try and address also that other subgroup by giving more punishing content that is a little less of one big zerg blob. I do not see what is wrong with that.

The people who prefer way-points and brainless zergs have still many places where they can do that.

About the game mophing into something. You seem to forget that GW2 also morphed into this mindless grind-fess. That was not always the case. Dying has always not been very punishing but other then that it was not like this on launch. For example the cash-shop had less focus in the beginning and many mats where farmable in the game. What happened is that more and more items got added in the cash-shop making gold very important. At the same time everywhere people could farm for specific mats got nerved to make it impossible. Added where general good drops from a big number of mobs meaning people started grinding that to sell for gold to buy what they wanted. That is how the hole grind fess mentality got morphed into the game. So people who where here from before that have all the right to complain about it. (And I never said anybody was a lesser person for liking the one over the other).

To get back to the way-points discussion. It’s perfectly fine to add lesser way-points in new maps to also give other people more fun and more punishing content.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

The only problem with this type of content is that even those who like it will likely get bored with it while other types of content can stay fun also over the longer term.

No. Just no. You have absolutely no basis for these claims. You can speak for yourself on this, but for no one else. You have no reason to believe that other players will tire of the current game any sooner than they would a game with more long run-backs. I would wager that the opposite would be true, that players would be MORE likely to grow bored of the game if they’re constantly forced to run back to the same location time and again. Sorry, just no.

Having more or less waypoints has absolutely nothing to do with “more interesting content,” and has nothing to do with zergs really since if you’re in a zerg you’re far more likely to get rezzed and avoid the runback, rather than less. WP locations only have to do with what happens if you die. Nobody is arguing that they can’t or shouldn’t make the content fun and engaging while you’re on your feet, only about the consequences when you fall.

As for “it wasn’t always like this,” all I know is that when I got my first character to 80 a couple months after launch, I joined up with a zerg circling the Straights of Devastation for a few laps. It likely wasn’t the most efficient one even for the time, but I enjoyed it before continuing on with world completion. Once I’d done that and started leveling my alts, most of them settled down at various world bosses, and I spent most of my time hopping from world boss to world boss as they came up. Then once the LW content tended to shift into a new fortnightly zerg rotation, I hopped right onto those and have enjoyed each more than the last. I see no signs of slowing, and am actually kind of annoyed because there are a lot of other games I would like the time for, but GW2’s taking up so much of mine.

So people who where here from before that have all the right to complain about it. (And I never said anybody was a lesser person for liking the one over the other).

And yet you continue to make statements that imply that players who enjoy the current meta are “doing something wrong,” and that if only the development of the game would shift in certain areas “they could still be saved from themselves.” I’ve heard similar arguments from religious proselytizers and wasn’t swayed by them either.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Devata.6589

The only problem with this type of content is that even those who like it will likely get bored with it while other types of content can stay fun also over the longer term.

No. Just no. You have absolutely no basis for these claims. You can speak for yourself on this, but for no one else. You have no reason to believe that other players will tire of the current game any sooner than they would a game with more long run-backs. I would wager that the opposite would be true, that players would be MORE likely to grow bored of the game if they’re constantly forced to run back to the same location time and again. Sorry, just no.

Having more or less waypoints has absolutely nothing to do with “more interesting content,” and has nothing to do with zergs really since if you’re in a zerg you’re far more likely to get rezzed and avoid the runback, rather than less. WP locations only have to do with what happens if you die. Nobody is arguing that they can’t or shouldn’t make the content fun and engaging while you’re on your feet, only about the consequences when you fall.

As for “it wasn’t always like this,” all I know is that when I got my first character to 80 a couple months after launch, I joined up with a zerg circling the Straights of Devastation for a few laps. It likely wasn’t the most efficient one even for the time, but I enjoyed it before continuing on with world completion. Once I’d done that and started leveling my alts, most of them settled down at various world bosses, and I spent most of my time hopping from world boss to world boss as they came up. Then once the LW content tended to shift into a new fortnightly zerg rotation, I hopped right onto those and have enjoyed each more than the last. I see no signs of slowing, and am actually kind of annoyed because there are a lot of other games I would like the time for, but GW2’s taking up so much of mine.

So people who where here from before that have all the right to complain about it. (And I never said anybody was a lesser person for liking the one over the other).

And yet you continue to make statements that imply that players who enjoy the current meta are “doing something wrong,” and that if only the development of the game would shift in certain areas “they could still be saved from themselves.” I’ve heard similar arguments from religious proselytizers and wasn’t swayed by them either.

That first was about the brainless zerg content not about the less of way-points. And yes it’s an opinion or a view, not a fact.
You can see that here “it will likely get bored ”.
Well maybe it is a fact but we don’t if it is a fact.

BTW it’s kinda funny that you say I could not make that statement while you then say “I would wager that the opposite would be true, that players would be MORE likely to grow bored of the game if they’re constantly forced to run back to the same location time and again.”
So I may not make that statement but you may.

While of course most MMO’s work like that and some of them are very popular already for over 10 years. So we know that that is not a problem for the lifetime of a game and so many people have no problem with that.

Anyway I was talking about the brainless zerg content that was mentioned there for a moment not specifically about less way-points. While a little off topic the connection to the way-points was your statement that less way-points where bad because it would make death (more) punishing. On what I commented that that is the point of death and that is does show how this game has been turned into a brainless zerg fest where many people don’t even want to be punished for death.

“And yet you continue to make statements that imply that players who enjoy the current meta are “doing something wrong,”"

No I never say that or suggest that. Now this Ohoni, this is a Straw man .

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

Is everyone dieing so much that they spend more time running back to the fight than actually being there? Ive spent several hours in this area already and don’t die that often, in fact ive only had to run back to something once or twice. often people will revive you if you die, especially if you are near the forts. The “long run” probably doesnt bother me as much because i WvW though.

Incidently, have any of you timed the distance to get to some of the world bosses? FE is a good distance from Muridan WP (i doubt anyone dies here anymore though). SB is somewhat far as well. Teq isnt near a WP (the one nearby is contested). KQ when she shows up at her initial spawn (the large fort) is a fair walk as well (especially if the south camp is contested). its also sufficiently more difficult to rez when defeated at a world boss, so running is required.

Think of this map as a world boss/raid kind of thing and not just a map with only 1 WP. Also, if you dont like the long run try to avoid dieing (dont YOLO 4 veteran mordrem for example, you will lose)

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I’d like a second waypoint on the other end of the map, but other than that this map takes the cake for my favorite map. Has a serious GW1 feel to it, and I’d like to see more maps like this.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I’m of the complete opposite opinion. I HATE that there is only one waypoint, especially when you can just randomly die dropping into the Sarlacc pit those gaping mouth things (even just slowly dropping in).

Your slowly dropping in method is the reason you die. JUMP IN WITH A FURY AND BLOOD.

Seriously, jump in the middle, not kitten foot off the edge like a dainty princess.

Well that could be the problem. But seems like it would cause more death. Might try jumping in and see what happens.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The lack of waypoints is good. I wish, however, that there were more merchants on the map. Managing inventory is kind of a pain.

Dude……WvW Borderland. Try it.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

The lack of waypoints is good. I wish, however, that there were more merchants on the map. Managing inventory is kind of a pain.

I have. It’s boring. Because WvW is nothing but a boring, one-dimensional zerg-fest.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I have. It’s boring. Because WvW is nothing but a boring, one-dimensional zerg-fest.

He means port to Borderlands, use the merchants, then “leave WvW”. Takes you right back to where you where.

skullmount.1758

He means port to Borderlands, use the merchants, then “leave WvW”. Takes you right back to where you where.

But then you lose the map you were on and the buff for staying on the map (can’t remember its name currently).

Darkhaven server

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’m ok with it not having additional WP’s for now. It’s supposed to be the new front line. Though, we should be building out further eventually. Otherwise, we’re not accomplishing much.

The mechanic of slow travel speed without mounts or way points encourages players to skip, avoid, and not engage content. Because if you engage a fight, there’s a greater chance of having to restart at the beginning again. Engaging content should be encouraged, which is why we have so many way points.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If people are really afraid of spending to much time in a game MMO’s in general are not the best choice of games anyway.

It is not about spending too much time. It is about wasting time. It doesn’t matter if a mount or moa is faster than walking, it is still slower than a waypoint. I could have been where I wanted to be already instead I am sitting on this stupid moa twiddling my thumbs.

Posted by: bamboo.7403

bamboo.7403

too many waypôints are bad. only one wp in a map is just as bad. please. no matter what NO to mounts in gw2. unless mount for fun, totally for the skin no bonus movement at all. about wp, if u dont like it dont use. dont ask to have it removed cos u dont like it.

Posted by: asperbianca.3196

asperbianca.3196

I believe that in the case of waypoints, less is more.
In the original Guild Wars you were able to map travel to towns and outposts, never specific areas on the map.

Sometimes you had to even travel across an entire zone before you could make it to the zone where you were headed, and then make it to your destination.

Maps like The Falls are a good example of this.

Even if you made it to the falls by crossing a few other areas first, there was only one resurrection shrine right at the entrance to the zone….. so after you traveled 20 minutes or so into the zone, if you died you were sent all the way back to the beginning of the area.

It adds a sense of exploration.
A desire to fight and stay alive.

Players should be traveling/playing the game a little more instead of waypointing everywhere they want to go.

The only problem with implementing this now is that removing waypoints will no-doubt receive backlash from the community.

Maybe in the future we will see “resurrection points” instead of waypoints on newer maps.

They would essentially be waypoints that only work when you are dead and already on that particular map.

Anyway…. I like the lack of waypoints.

Good decision.

Who are you to tell us what we should do? I rather prefer waypointing everywhere, it’s more time efficient. After exploring the entire world map, on three characters, to 100%, I don’t want to have to run everywhere anymore.

(edited by asperbianca.3196)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Is everyone dieing so much that they spend more time running back to the fight than actually being there? Ive spent several hours in this area already and don’t die that often, in fact ive only had to run back to something once or twice. often people will revive you if you die, especially if you are near the forts. The “long run” probably doesnt bother me as much because i WvW though.

Well there are things people want to do besides just playing on that one map.
Then there is the story part. “for your next step run back to the other side of the map that you were just at but we decided to move you here so you have more running around to do”.

Ohoni.6057

BTW it’s kinda funny that you say I could not make that statement while you then say “I would wager that the opposite would be true, that players would be MORE likely to grow bored of the game if they’re constantly forced to run back to the same location time and again.”
So I may not make that statement but you may.

I presented my opinion as a wager on my part, not as an equivocated statement of fact. If you were to say, for example, “I think that players would get bored” it would be more reasonable than to say “they will likely get bored.”

While of course most MMO’s work like that and some of them are very popular already for over 10 years. So we know that that is not a problem for the lifetime of a game and so many people have no problem with that.

What works for other MMOs doesn’t necessarily work for GW2. Each game is its own alchemy, and you can’t just mix the recipes and expect the same results. The way GW2 works seems to work well for Gw2, changing the formula might improve things, but could as easily drive more people away than it attracts.

Anyway I was talking about the brainless zerg content that was mentioned there for a moment not specifically about less way-points. While a little off topic the connection to the way-points was your statement that less way-points where bad because it would make death (more) punishing. On what I commented that that is the point of death and that is does show how this game has been turned into a brainless zerg fest where many people don’t even want to be punished for death.

Newsflash, most people do not want to be punished for death, in any context, especially in entertainment products. Most people don’t like to be punished in general, aside from those who go to special clubs for that sort of thing.

“And yet you continue to make statements that imply that players who enjoy the current meta are “doing something wrong,”"

No I never say that or suggest that. Now this Ohoni, this is a Straw man .

You really, really do. “It shows something about the brainless, unpunished, zerg content much of the game has become and how many people have become used to that.
The problem is that even tho there might now be many people used to that, it tends to not be good material to keep things going for a long time. Also the people who now like the brainless, unpunished, zerg stuff will get tired of it.”

Incidently, have any of you timed the distance to get to some of the world bosses? FE is a good distance from Muridan WP (i doubt anyone dies here anymore though). SB is somewhat far as well. Teq isnt near a WP (the one nearby is contested). KQ when she shows up at her initial spawn (the large fort) is a fair walk as well (especially if the south camp is contested). its also sufficiently more difficult to rez when defeated at a world boss, so running is required.

It’s much faster to run back to any of those bosses than to run back to Amber. It’s possible that the crow-flies distance is equivalent, I haven’t measured, but the terrain between the WP and Amber is far more convoluted and the intervening enemies are more difficult to completely ignore.

Think of this map as a world boss/raid kind of thing and not just a map with only 1 WP.

No, I think I’ll think of it as a map with only 1 WP.

done by now.”

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Also Resing people form defeated is slow for one person (that isn’t stated for healing power) but when you include the max res amount vs resing a dead player if one or two of those players have some form of healing stat , it becomes Much much faster and also that player provides a safe area for other players to res that dead player.

Healing stat is irrelevant to rezzing speed, and there are not always other players within eyeshot, much less bunches of them, and if they are around, they are often too busy to bother healing a defeated player. Again, if they want us to be rezzing defeated players, then they need to make it faster.

ok so it dont effect Resing from dead but it does effect Downed, so say near a group and get yourself resed before going down.

if there is not anyone nearby , and your playing in a heavy combat area thats the risk you take unfortunately.

in events there is normaly a good amount of people 5 Minimum , if that event is a important one there is always more.

for older content its not much of a issue since it is Easy enough to survive alone, and if those people die its because they bit off more than they can chew.

Devata.6589

It is not about spending too much time. It is about wasting time. It doesn’t matter if a mount or moa is faster than walking, it is still slower than a waypoint. I could have been where I wanted to be already instead I am sitting on this stupid moa twiddling my thumbs.

It’s not wasting it’s about immersion. If we go down that road I can consider everything wasting time.

Devata.6589

I presented my opinion as a wager on my part, not as an equivocated statement of fact.

Yeah just as I also said it an an opinion (I even talked about that in that post but you left that out of the quote) just as you. So it stays funny you say I would not may make that claim and then you are fine with making that claim. And next time quote correctly.

I am not again gonna read just to check if you reacted on something from me or not because you find it to hard to quote correctly.

Newsflash, most people do not want to be punished for death, in any context, especially in entertainment products. Most people don’t like to be punished in general, aside from those who go to special clubs for that sort of thing.

You really believe this don’t you? You don’t understand what challenging means and why many people prefer a challenge. Funny.

Well maybe Anet can then remove dying completely from this game. Why bother right?

You really, really do. “It shows something about the brainless, unpunished, zerg content much of the game has become and how many people have become used to that.
The problem is that even tho there might now be many people used to that, it tends to not be good material to keep things going for a long time. Also the people who now like the brainless, unpunished, zerg stuff will get tired of it.”

Still waiting for the quote where I say they are doing something wrong.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Ohoni.6057

ok so it dont effect Resing from dead but it does effect Downed, so say near a group and get yourself resed before going down.

Nooope. Healing Power has ZERO impact on any form of rezzing. None.

if there is not anyone nearby , and your playing in a heavy combat area thats the risk you take unfortunately.

Right, and when I take that risk and lose, I’d like a shorter run-back than is currently available in Silverwastes.

in events there is normaly a good amount of people 5 Minimum , if that event is a important one there is always more.

Sure, but unless you want to travel in a zerg, you might get a bit split up, and if you go down, nobody else might be able to see you. A lot of SW events involve covering multiple angles at once. Besides which, rezzing from defeated takes too long, I would not want to waste my fellow players’ time trying to get me back up.

It’s not wasting it’s about immersion. If we go down that road I can consider everything wasting time.

It’s not about immersion either, as immersion has nothing to do with this discussion.

I am not again gonna read just to check if you reacted on something from me or not because you find it to hard to quote correctly.

And I care so very much whether you know that someone responded to you. Follow the discussion, if you only care to hear how other people have responded to you then we don’t need you.

Well maybe Anet can then remove dying completely from this game. Why bother right?

I don’t see why that’s necessary, all they need to do is make the process after dying a bit lekittenous than it currently is in SW.

Still waiting for the quote where I say they are doing something wrong.

I never said you said that, I said you implied it, and comments like the one I quoted certainly do imply that you believe there’s something wrong with people playing that way. Let me ask you straight, do you believe that players should enjoy being part of a “brainless, unpunished, zerg?”

done by now.”

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

For the type of zone that silverwastes is I think its a good thing. Its a situational thing imo and ANET hit the nail on the head on this one.

until you’re at redrock and someone calls a legendary boss at blue oasis. By the time you get there, it’s dead, they’re rare spawns so no you can’t just say “well there’s always next time” You don’t know when that’ll be.

There should at least be 2 waypoints, 1 at the fort and 1 on the west side between Amber and Blue, maybe near that pillar where there’s the skill challenge.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

This thread shows me, that mounts would be a good thing for GW2, if ANet would reduce the amount of Way Points in every Map down to 5 or lesser (and turn the removed Way Points into POIs, Vistas, Renown Hearts or Skill Points or even somethign completely new which would be also interesting)

I also beleive, that so more me pressure into the hideout of Mordremoth, that we will see less and less waypoints and that Anet is currently testing out maybe this, how far they can go with this until the point, where a map has no way point at all and where we would just need something like mounts to be able to travel faster on the map or to reach places, which we wouldn’t be able to reach without the mounts (GW1 style Junundus, just something different)

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

This thread shows me, that mounts would be a good thing for GW2, if ANet would reduce the amount of Way Points in every Map down to 5 or lesser (and turn the removed Way Points into POIs, Vistas, Renown Hearts or Skill Points or even somethign completely new which would be also interesting)

Funny thing. For me, this thread shows something completely opposite.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I really dislike the idea of multiple WP in a zone, I say get rid of most of them and add mounts to help with immersion and bringing older zones to life.

Yeah, the waypoints make the world feel tiny.

Easy solution: Dont use waypoints and your world suddenly feels bigger!

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Devata.6589

I really dislike the idea of multiple WP in a zone, I say get rid of most of them and add mounts to help with immersion and bringing older zones to life.

But you get punished for doing so compared to people who do use it.

Devildoc.6721

and everyone is instead being punished missing events from rare spawns.

I don’t know about you but I find nothing entertaining or fun about running across an entire zone getting snared by trash.

Posted by: Cole Eyre.8471

Cole Eyre.8471

The layout of the two new zones reminds me a bit to much of the way things are laid out in Wildstar. They both feel very linear to me, although SW less so than Dry Top.

Ohoni.6057

So you are saying that instead ALL players should be punished because the few players that don’t like WPs cannot control their own behavior and abstain from using them?

done by now.”

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

1) The Silverwastes’ waypoint =/= “No waypoints”

2) The Silverwastes is a tiny map. The distance travelled by foot is not so terrible that it warrants another waypoint. Anyone that believes the distance is too great has been spoiled by the waypoint system.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

(edited by Azhure.1857)

Ohoni.6057

2) The Silverwastes is a tiny map. The distance travelled by foot is not so terrible that it warrants another waypoint. Anyone that believes the distance is too great has been spoiled by the waypoint system.

Nope.

done by now.”

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

The Silverwastes are an active warzone. You can’t just pop in behind enemy lines.

I like it, the map always has something going on

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I thought it would bother me as im very lazy when it comes to getting around open world zones. I disliked the lack of waypoints in Dry Top. But thats probably more to do with the aspect crystals and having to jump up cliffs all the time. It gets annoying after a while.

Silverwastes actually feels right. The run to any fort is pretty short. The only waypoint is to the side to avoid encouraging people to waypoint to shorten the run back to another location. Im quite surprised it doesnt annoy me much at all. My main annoyance is getting unfairly fgs rushed by teragriffs whereas we can no longer do that ourselves. :<

Ohoni.6057

But of course those that are spoiled usually find it difficult to accept that they are, in fact, spoiled. Flat denials are common.

Yeah, that settles the issue. /rolleyes

Look, it’s not “spoiled” to want convenience out of a game, to want to be enjoying it as much of the time playing as possible. Any time moving from A to B, when you know there’s nothing to do in the middle, is time wasted. Yes, some games do it differently, and those games suck, which is why we’re playing GW2 right now instead of those games.

done by now.”

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I never understood the “I don’t like way points, they make the world feel small/ make me lose my immersion” crowd.

There’s a very easy way to fix that. DON"T USE THEM….problem solved

For those who enjoy way points…..the reverse is not easy in instances like this. As such I am of the belief that they should be there.

I can’t agree with this more. If you don’t like something and you don’t have to use it, don’t try to get it removed just so others have to suffer your preference.

Couldn’t have said it any better.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Nope.

But of course those that are spoiled usually find it difficult to accept that they are, in fact, spoiled. Flat denials are common.

If you like travelling on foot, then travel on foot. You still can do it in complete guild wars 2. If anything it’s YOUR fault for using the waypoitns that kills your immersion, not our fault for using waypoints. You are looking for a black sheep (waypoint using people), and get them removed, while the fault is in your grasp. Deal with it.

When i’m up for exploring, I walk
When i’m up for fast paced farming, I skip it as much as possible with waypoints.

Current system supports both. Case closed.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

skullmount.1758

The Silverwastes are an active warzone. You can’t just pop in behind enemy lines.

I like it, the map always has something going on

Ahh, but there are ways around that. Have you done the PS final mission? Theres a waypoint on the one ship you’re on. They could essentially do the same thing. Have a ship stationed up there with the waypoint, acting as the forward scout. Or it could move during the preparations, either constantly, or at stages, such as having it all the way on the west side when preparations are almost finished.
Or kitten, like I suggested before, they could put one of the charrcopters up on the other side. Make it like an aerial dropoff. They show that the charrcopters can make it to the other side of the map, since you get extracted by them, why can’t they basically do the opposite?

Darkhaven server

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

My main annoyance is getting unfairly fgs rushed by teragriffs whereas we can no longer do that ourselves. :<

That teragriff-attack is even worse than fgs because they can´t drop down from walls -add to it those “artillery-plants”, which also have a very hard hitting closerange-attack and just like in real WvW, walls are more deadly for defenders, mission achieved . . .

Flawed mob-mechanics are always a big fun factor with only one waypoint, though falling to death in the Breach is still my favorite . . .

(edited by hydeaut.1758)

Devata.6589

So you are saying that instead ALL players should be punished because the few players that don’t like WPs cannot control their own behavior and abstain from using them?

I see you still don’t know how to quote. You are lucky I noticed this post.

Nice try of putting it in the negative but that does not mean it’s true.

Traveling is not punishing, it makes sense and it’s about immersion (besides it can also be fun when you include mounts). Just as the fact that you can’t just go to a vendor and get all weapons and skin for free. That is not pushing ALL people it’s simply part of the experience. It makes it a better games.

You could put vendors in the game that give everything out for free and then say that if you don’t you are punishing ALL players by making it harder to get those items so thats why you should have those vendors. (the way you talk about way-points) But in reality you do it because it’s better for the overall game experience. Making rewards accessible to easy takes away the value of those rewards and makes content unrewarding so it’s not good for the game.
Do you want a fun rewarding game? Then you don’t have a vendor like that.

Having way-points all over the place makes it easy to travel so you could say by taking them away you are punishing all people (like you do) but the way-points destroy much of the immersion with all the loading screens and makes the world feel very small not really as one big world more but as separate ‘games’ you can do so it’s not good for the game.
Do you want a immersive game that gives the feeling of a true open world, then you have less way-points and portals as possible.

Devata.6589

I never understood the “I don’t like way points, they make the world feel small/ make me lose my immersion” crowd.

For those who enjoy way points…..the reverse is not easy in instances like this. As such I am of the belief that they should be there.

I can’t agree with this more. If you don’t like something and you don’t have to use it, don’t try to get it removed just so others have to suffer your preference.

Oke in that case let’s place a vendor in the game that gives out all items / skins for free! For those who enjoy the grinding for them they can do that, for those who don’t they can get to the vendor and get everything they want there.

skullmount.1758

Oke in that case let’s place a vendor in the game that gives out all items / skins for free! For those who enjoy the grinding for them they can do that, for those who don’t they can get to the vendor and get everything they want there.

Dude, you really gotta stop using that excuse. That is in no way close to what we’re asking for. Adding another waypoint is not asking for everything to be given freely. And I don’t think anyone (well I’m sure there would be someone) would ever want a button to get everything for free (otherwise there’d be no point in playing the game).

Darkhaven server

Devata.6589

Dude, you really gotta stop using that excuse. That is in no way close to what we’re asking for. Adding another waypoint is not asking for everything to be given freely. And I don’t think anyone (well I’m sure there would be someone) would ever want a button to get everything for free (otherwise there’d be no point in playing the game).

It’s not an excuse it’s an analogy. The fact that you don’t ask for everything to be given out freely is EXACTLY the point!

“And I don’t think anyone (well I’m sure there would be someone) would ever want a button to get everything for free (otherwise there’d be no point in playing the game).”
There you go. So while it’s more convenient and people who don’t like it just don’t use it there are still other reasons why it should not be added!

If the excuse for more way-points is ‘because it’s more convenient and people who don’t like it just don’t use it’ would be a good one then you could just as well put in a vendor that gives everything for free because it’s more convenient and people who don’t like it just don’t use it.

You see where the two match. Thats why it’s a perfect analogy to show why at least that excuse (direct or indirect) for more way-points is invalid. Well expect of course if you would think a vendor like that would be good.

The thing is that most people do see why thats wrong.. while it is convenient and people who don’t like it just don’t have to use it.

So as long as people use that bad excuse (directly or indirectly) I can use that analogy.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

But then you lose the map you were on and the buff for staying on the map (can’t remember its name currently).

Group with someone and go to WvW one at a time or at least one party member remains in desired map.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I slightly dislike only having 1 wp but at least it encourages more ressing and discourages dying so casually.

I think it’d be nice if WPs could be built (and destroyed by enemies if the place is lost) like they could in wvw, so there would be more advantage to sticking to one map and ensuring stuff succeeds.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

….but at least it encourages more ressing and discourages dying so casually.

^ True and I like that too.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

Think of this map as a world boss/raid kind of thing and not just a map with only 1 WP.

Whatever you want to think of this map as, it is an open world raid. To successfully complete the objective, you have to coordinate between at least 4 different groups (1 at each fort). There also has to be some people with the pack ox, but there are essentially 4 groups (RAID content).

As for the missing bosses thing: if you need a specific boss, then go to that fort and wait for it. it will spawn eventually. If you just want to get them go to the fort in the middle (INDIGO) and run to the other when its called. legends dont melt in seconds, they tend to last at least a minute or two. Also, it helps to build for the map you are playing on. This map requires moving to get to where you are going, take a speed boost skill and stability so you arent pulled/snared.

The run for the final boss in AC P3 is much farther and more involved than anything here. If you die frequently to this boss, then you will be running through elite mobs, which can hit for much more than anything that randomly shows up on this map. And thats the easiest dungeon, Arah has some much longer runs than AC does.

As an aside, are there just more chest spawns at amber or is the farm zerg just pushing to be as far from the WP as possible?

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Devildoc.6721

1) The Silverwastes’ waypoint =/= “No waypoints”

if you’re at the pact fort or redrocks and someone announces the Tormentor at Blue Oasis, you’ll probably miss the event.

Devildoc.6721

I slightly dislike only having 1 wp but at least it encourages more ressing and discourages dying so casually.

I think it’d be nice if WPs could be built (and destroyed by enemies if the place is lost) like they could in wvw, so there would be more advantage to sticking to one map and ensuring stuff succeeds.

“encourages ressing”

No it doesn’t.

People still say “dead people on the floor just run back you’re not doing any good dead on the floor”

So you waypoint back across the zone, and the event is finished/boss is dead by the time you get back.

Devildoc.6721

Whatever you want to think of this map as, it is an open world raid. To successfully complete the objective, you have to coordinate between at least 4 different groups (1 at each fort). There also has to be some people with the pack ox, but there are essentially 4 groups (RAID content).

As for the missing bosses thing: if you need a specific boss, then go to that fort and wait for it. it will spawn eventually. If you just want to get them go to the fort in the middle (INDIGO) and run to the other when its called. legends dont melt in seconds, they tend to last at least a minute or two. Also, it helps to build for the map you are playing on. This map requires moving to get to where you are going, take a speed boost skill and stability so you arent pulled/snared.

The run for the final boss in AC P3 is much farther and more involved than anything here. If you die frequently to this boss, then you will be running through elite mobs, which can hit for much more than anything that randomly shows up on this map. And thats the easiest dungeon, Arah has some much longer runs than AC does.

As an aside, are there just more chest spawns at amber or is the farm zerg just pushing to be as far from the WP as possible?

Mordrem Wolves and Teragriffs hit way harder than any dungeon trash.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

“encourages ressing”

No it doesn’t.

People still say “dead people on the floor just run back you’re not doing any good dead on the floor”

So you waypoint back across the zone, and the event is finished/boss is dead by the time you get back.

There are no guarantees, but I’ve seen more ressing happen.

Obviously if it’s too dangerous to hard-res people, people aren’t going to do it or they’ll risk it failing completely.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.