Noble Dress: Black underneath when running

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Hi all!

I bought the Noble dress last night, because it looks stunning! Thanks for the amazing design.

After a bit of moving around in my newly dyed attire, I noticed that the underside of the dress has a black area which a) hangs lower than the dress does, when standing around, and is b) very visible when running.

Other skirts and dresses in the game (from what I’ve seen) don’t have this.

Is this something you are able to remove? I understand that this is Outfit vs. Armor piece, but I don’t see (as a Maya veteran since 1.0) how it restricts your model design.

Please see this image for comparison.

Attachments:

Posted by: Xiem.4719

Xiem.4719

Wow… thanks! I was about to buy it.

Posted by: Nia.3964

Nia.3964

I suppose less work and less render time for something that can’t be seen from ‘normal’ gameplay view. If you’d take a close look at all other armors and outfit(With 3DXRipper for example), you’d see that almost all usually non visible parts of the bodymesh(or underlieing armor meshes) are cut out. Guess it follows the code: You can’t see it, you don’t have to build it. Just that it didn’t work out on that outfit all too good.

PS: It was on all original Guild Wars Skirt-like Armors, too. Best example were dervishes, male and female.

Posted by: Berobad.4536

Berobad.4536

The problem is, it is visible during normal running, and just looks strange if you’re used to the other GW2 armors..
It even cuts of your feet when jumping …

They should have at least put the “black hole” further up, and not right at the bottom of the dress.

Posted by: Yunielesca.2850

Yunielesca.2850

Ewww, that’s ugly. Wanted this costume, but not anymore, after seeing this. I thought you see it only when your character is swimming, but you proved it is also when you walk.

Thanks, you made me save 700 gems.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I noticed this too and wondered why they chose this route when they made it.
That being said, it’s still a beautiful dress outfit and I have zero regrets that I bought it.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Nia.3964

Nia.3964

I love it, too. But! maybe one of the more active Developers in these forums hear us out and add back the removed parts of the body. I dobut it would cause that serious performance issues. Just the rest of the legs should also do the trick,unless you go underwater. And who does that, besides for the occasional renown heart heart or Honor of the Waves.

Posted by: Wulfy.1785

Wulfy.1785

I agree, it does look strange. Please fix?

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I submitted a support ticket with a link to this thread. Hopefully there will be a positive response to revising the model. After writing, I realized that the bloody prince outfit may have been a better example of “done right,” since it is a) an outfit and b) from the same event, though a year older…

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’d noticed… it honestly doesn’t bother me. Considering the way the skirt poofs in that area, I just like to think of it as a dark petticoat.

Maybe that would be an easier option for them. Add some ruffles when running so it looks like a petticoat.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

I would blame all those that screamed that there was too much female skin being exposed.

ANet’s Selective Hearing at work here.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Ltomato.8649

Ltomato.8649

Beware if you’re a ranger and you use sword- it just ends up being disembodied feet flying around. Very disconcerting, and I would not have bought it had I know about that.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I considered purchasing this earlier. As it would dyed celestial for the character that would end up wearing it, I’d have a big problem with that blackness as well. Thanks for helping me decide for certain not to buy it.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Thats normal for long clothes. They have to remove the legs so they don’t clip through the dress when you run around.
When you build clothes in 3d you usually always remove the body from underneath it. Not only does it reduce the polycount of the outfit but also reduce clipping.

Gibson.4036

Thats normal for long clothes. They have to remove the legs so they don’t clip through the dress when you run around.
When you build clothes in 3d you usually always remove the body from underneath it. Not only does it reduce the polycount of the outfit but also reduce clipping.

Except other skins in the game don’t work that way.

Haishao.6851

No other skin in game is a long dress like this one either. Smaller and open clothes are much easier to rig on a skeleton than long closed dresses like that one.
While the dress itself is much more easier to model, it it much more harder to rig.

It would have clipped like this if the legs were in. Although they could have put the “cap” much higher since the running animation isn’t as dramatic as the crappy pose i’ve done in 5 second in in this image.

Attachments:

Ltomato.8649

Yeah, I understand that. The cut off is extremely short though:
http://i.imgur.com/2vYZTRS.jpg

Like, yowza.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Now I want to check the Winged skirt for how it moves.

The black doesn’t bother me, though I admit I’ve only really stared at it on my alt who has the dress in deep blue. I can check with paler dyes; but I just mentally ascribe it to an underslip or flat out ignore it, myself. I’m actually more concerned with the dress texture. A lot of dyes make it come out looking like cotton or even denim, as compared to the male version coat which has glorious detailing and a rich feel. So I’ve had to choose dyes that “take” in a more luxurious fashion.

Posted by: Xaton.1902

Xaton.1902

wish the gown was on charr not make female charr stuck with the tux. I mean have the gown set up to fit charr the top could cover whole chest area and wrap around the neck leaveing back exposed like those fancy movie gowns.

Haishao.6851

Yeah, I understand that. The cut off is extremely short though:
http://i.imgur.com/2vYZTRS.jpg

Like, yowza.

It is indeed very short.
I said no other dress was like this one but forgot about arah armor which is also a long dress. The “cap” is about the height of the apprentice boots, which is usually a much better height for it.
It may require a bit more work on the rigging though.
I don’t have that new dress so I can see for myself but from the screenshots it look like they didn’t even try to give it dimension and the cap is right at the bottom like you’d have on a default cylinder.

Attachments:

(edited by Haishao.6851)

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Now I want to check the Winged skirt for how it moves.

I was taking pictures of my Sylvari during the night to see her glowing patterns (she uses the Winged armor). Here are 2 while running along:

Attachments:

Posted by: Herr Lindahl.5732

Herr Lindahl.5732

There’s also The Order of Whisper armor that does a way better job than this. It is open on one side but I am confident that they can easily close it if they want to and I haven’t noticed any unacceptable clipping issues. The Arah and OoW armors make the “bottom” of the Noble dress look like an incredible lazy or rushed job and I hope they improve it.

Attachments:

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Well, It dont really bother for me, but you can also see other Human NPCs female villagers who has long dresses, usually the blonde village with blue dress has this aswell.
Also one of the Noble dresses have this aswell if you look carefully.
AND the Winter dress for us players, is also a outfit who has something like this too.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Wulfy.1785

Where is the rest of my body? Something? Anything?

Attachments:

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Honestly, who checks under skirts and dresses?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Ltomato.8649

It’s not even checking under. With Ranger sword auto attack, the disembodied feet are just in your face.

Wulfy.1785

I don’t actively check under skirts and dresses, being a girl I already know what’s under there or rather supposed to be under there. When it’s highly obvious that something is missing and you do some more checking, you wind up with a thread such as this.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Phew! I was very upset ‘cause I couldn’t buy it right away, but now I’m glad I didn’t waste my money

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Phew! I was very upset ‘cause I couldn’t buy it right away, but now I’m glad I didn’t waste my money

I just bought it. I’m a little sad, though my intention was to mostly just use it with my relatively new Necromancer and dye it all black, so not as much of an impact. But, it will never be white.

Guess this is another cutting corner solution to save time and money and charge the same, like the single piece outfit system and new pets that don’t swim.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

OP, I too noticed this effect while swimming.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

daimasei.4091

I just bought it. I’m a little sad, though my intention was to mostly just use it with my relatively new Necromancer and dye it all black, so not as much of an impact. But, it will never be white.

Guess this is another cutting corner solution to save time and money and charge the same, like the single piece outfit system and new pets that don’t swim.

I only have a single character: A female human of noble origin (necromancer). Therefore, I only use armor that fit a noble style (apprentice, witch, masquerade, cabalist, heritage and aristocrat). Some may not be very “noble”, but with the right dyes, they fit just right.
But this one was just perfect. It looks awesome, it’s kittening pretty and it works just great for a “noble” necromancer but then, they ruined it with this lazy/cheap solution

-ArenaNet

Posted by: Kalendraf.9521

Kalendraf.9521

I was considering buying this outfit too, but after seeing it on another player’s character, I instantly saw that the model cuts off the legs a short ways above the ankles and has a barrier above that.

This type of modeling shortcut might be acceptable for static 3D art where the character is always positioned in a way so that the area is never visible. However, in a game where characters can fight, run, swim, dance or do a variety of other poses via emotes, this type of model ends up looking cheap and incomplete.

I also noticed that the Hex outfit has a similar problem, although in that case the problem occurs further up the legs. However, due to these issues, I don’t plan to get either of them.

HoD – [CV] Charter Vanguard

daimasei.4091

I also noticed that the Hex outfit has a similar problem, although in that case the problem occurs further up the legs. However, due to these issues, I don’t plan to get either of them.

Yep, the witch/hexed outfit may have this problem BUT is disguised in way better form and since you can still see your character legs, is not that annoying.

-ArenaNet

Donari.5237

The more I use the gown, the more I like that my legs cannot be seen above the upper calf. I just imagine it as a froth of dark petticoats. Because not every woman running in a full length skirt has it blow up so high you can see her upper thighs! That’s bothered me in a lot of the garments in Tyria, actually, how much they expose while running.

Not because I’m prudish, I’m not and I have a few alts that go for the skimpy gear, but because I’ve done enough sewing and costuming to know cloth doesn’t -do- that. Plus it seems a tad chilly in cooler climes … anyway, I find myself embracing this feature as making the dress much more suitable for my noble mesmer.

Posted by: Adelas.6598

Adelas.6598

Hi all!

I bought the Noble dress last night, because it looks stunning! Thanks for the amazing design.

After a bit of moving around in my newly dyed attire, I noticed that the underside of the dress has a black area which a) hangs lower than the dress does, when standing around, and is b) very visible when running.

I noticed this too, and assumed it was intended as poorly designed petticoats… but I think I’d like it better the other way. I don’t like the way it looks. Just my two cents.

(edited by Adelas.6598)

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

May i ask what skirt is that?.. i can’t seem to find it anywhere in the wardrobe.

daimasei.4091

May i ask what skirt is that?.. i can’t seem to find it anywhere in the wardrobe.

Not a skirt but a full outfit.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Noble_Count_Outfit

-ArenaNet

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

Not that one, the other one on the right of the original post.

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

I never had an issue with this, but i used icy night dye on it, so it’s black anyway, i think it should be removable or at least dyeable

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Not that one, the other one on the right of the original post.

It is Magicians Skirt, low level light armor skin.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

No other skin in game is a long dress like this one either. Smaller and open clothes are much easier to rig on a skeleton than long closed dresses like that one.
While the dress itself is much more easier to model, it it much more harder to rig.

It would have clipped like this if the legs were in. Although they could have put the “cap” much higher since the running animation isn’t as dramatic as the crappy pose i’ve done in 5 second in in this image.

Basically this. However they should move the black texture higher and make it dyeable.

Gibson.4036

Yeah. If the new outfits with limited customization are supposed to be novelty items you use sporadically they should be priced much cheaper. A full set of detailed armor costs 800 gems, but these full-set only with modeling shortcuts items are 700?

If they’re going to be cheap novelty pieces, they shouldn’t cost almost a third of the entire box price of the game.

Of course, I see a lot of them running around. It’s clear ArenaNet is making money off them, so I don’t expect anything to change.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

they can easily change this in a proper way, all they need to do is making the underside as a cone so it makes some leg space.
i have done this my self to 3D models and it saves time while keeping it looking nice.

Donari.5237

Would that still give it the lovely swish and swirl at the hem?

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Yeah, this looks pretty awful with any dye other than black. Shame, because it’s a really cool design otherwise.

They could have made the collar hideable with shoulders too, as it clips pretty horribly with long hair.

This does feel pretty lazy, given it’s an outfit sold for real money and not allowing mix and matching with armour pieces.

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I got a refund and “go start a thread on the forum, our devs read.”

Oh yes, they also suggested it was my fault I didn’t look carefully before buying it! I checked, you can’t see it in the preview window. I guess next time I’ll go run around looking up other players’ dresses