Not being able to get a decent name

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This is brutal. EVERYTHING is taken.

Um, no. Not everything is taken. And I’m not sure why you think it’s ‘brutal.’ Maybe look upon it as a new challenge.

If I’m not in love with my character’s name, I get such a bad taste in my mouth when I go to level, and I inevitably become severely disheartened and lose interest. That toon will never see 80. :[

I get that; it’s not crazy to want a great name (instead of just acceptable or even just good).

I can’t be the only person that feels this way. It just sucks. :[

I doubt your the only one who cares about having a stellar name; you could be the only one who feels it’s impossible to find one.

Keep in mind that something over 3-4 million accounts exist for the game. If just a million of these created just 5 characters each, that’s 5 million names. That’s steep competition.

I would hope that would inspire the creative juices for someone that is passionate about names.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: jbrother.1340

jbrother.1340

is keeping me from enjoying the game…

This is brutal. EVERYTHING is taken. I’m one of those rare breeds who, admittedly, is rather OCD about charcter creation. I’ll spend hours getting my appearance just right, but even more important to me is my character’s name.

If I’m not in love with my character’s name, I get such a bad taste in my mouth when I go to level, and I inevitably become severely disheartened and lose interest. That toon will never see 80. :[

When I find a name I love, on the other hand, it’s pretty much guaranteed that I’ll steamroll the game all the way to max level and keep right on going. Totally immersed and fulfilled by every minute of the experience.

It does suck not getting the name you want.

This is a common problem with all MMO"s I have ever played if they are older than 1 year or so depending on popularity.

In the long run I stopped worrying so much about it and just found new names I liked and used those. I have even put pieces of names on a wall and thrown darts before to select new character names.

Posted by: feelingood.2106

feelingood.2106

I would love if anet would alow more symbols like ’ _ ect.. Then I could use my favorite nick :/

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

think of the name you want, and type it in another language. should work

Proud TTS member

Posted by: Signet Of Whatever.9056

Signet Of Whatever.9056

I name my characters after each city and none were taken. As for the cleverness of them I’ll let readers decide:

Typical La Tourist
Hoping For Hoelbrak
Chill In Da Citadel
Rather Be in Rata
Devoted To Divinity
Groovin In Da Grove

Posted by: hrasna.3017

hrasna.3017

Human:

Female: Hootie McBoob
Male: Tony Danza

I don’t think you can use Hootie McBoob.

I named my necro “I Touched Your Mom” and anet made me change it.

-Chris

Posted by: jbrother.1340

jbrother.1340

Human:

Female: Hootie McBoob
Male: Tony Danza

I don’t think you can use Hootie McBoob.

I named my necro “I Touched Your Mom” and anet made me change it.

-Chris

That name clearly violates their policy. It was going to be a forced change the second you logged in.

While I have no issue with you using that name there are a lot of players that let their children play (I do have issue with that depending on their age but do parents even bother checking what their kids do online anymore?) and they don’t really need to see that do they?

Personally I am against all naming that is not actually a proper name. Using names like

“I am sawdust”
“The best Char”
“not a name in anyway”

sort of rob this game of what little immersion it has.

Posted by: RabidCoqui.1983

RabidCoqui.1983

I try to kinda match what seems like lore so I find it’s an issue with Asura and Sylvari since they have single names. Every other race is quite easy for me to name.

Asura are a bit easier for me, but Sylvari used to be practically impossible when I was trying to restrict myself to the making them have the whole Irish/Gaelic/? theme that quite a few npc names used. Then I noticed that the Sylvari npc names were quite varied when you start looking at all the random minor ones like merchants.

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

I’d just like to add that there is a name change contract (also available in the Identity Repair Kit) in the gem store. If you’d like to play now and wait for inspiration/the name game to come after all the time spent in character creation, you can always plan to use one of these later in your character’s life. Of course you’ll still have to come up with an initial name, but at least if it doesn’t feel perfect you don’t have to stall your entire play experience.

Good luck!

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I have used lesser known languages like Samoan and even Elvish for my character names. Works every time…

Kinda surprised at this, as I went through a ton of Elvish names at one point, and found that even some of the most obscure characters from the Silmarillion were taken.

The trick is not to use a name directly taken from Tolkien. When I was naming elves in other MMOs I went to an English-Tolkien Elvish dictionary, picked English words I wanted, and scanned the various Elvish words that matched to find ones easier to spell and pronounce. For instance I wanted “Sun” in my blood elf mage’s name. “Anar” or something like that was in the dictionary as meaning sun, so her last name became di Anar.

That works for more than Elvish. In making Arthurian sounding Sylvari names I’ve been successful by rapidly generating a lot of Arthurian names to get a feel for their sound and picking pieces of a few names to jam syllables together into something I find pleasing. For my Norn ranger and her pets, I went to an English-Old Norse dictionary, scanned for meanings, and tweaked into easier words for an English speaker to use since I wanted a good flavor to fit game lore more than total authenticity to a Terran language.

(Which all sparks me to wonder if the name “Mordremoth” was also a subtle clue to the Sylvari connection, as “Mor” is a syllable in Arthurian names that frequently goes to villains. And maybe we all suddenly knew the name because the Sylvari in the Priory were just sure that should be what it was … thanks to a deep connection in their subconscious).

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

This might also help in figuring names for characters (from the wiki)

Asura
“An asura’s name often consists of a short, sharp first name with one or two syllables. Feminine asura names typically end in -i or -a vowel sounds, but are not required to do so. Masculine names often end in a consonant sound. Both male and female Asuras often have two of the same letter in a row somewhere in their name, this being a cultural norm, but it is certainly not required. Asura do not have a last name, instead opting to use job titles, a krewe name, or honorifics to differentiate themselves. Those who choose to take a last name of a style similar to humans are rare and are considered eccentrics, and their surname is often ignored by other asura.”

Norn
“Most norn follow a Northern European or Viking-style first name system, though some like the famous explorer Captain Romke and his crew have Dutch and Frisian names.

Their surnames can vary in a multitude of styles. Norn without any achievements or legends have surnames after one of their parents (father/mother’s first name followed by -sson or -sdottir or a variant thereof); this is most commonly seen in children, and they’re named after the more famous of their parents even if they do not like said parent (e.g., Braham Eirsson). Surnames do not get adopted from generation to generation and they can be changed by the individual to fit their own personal legend (e.g., a famous Wolfborn member took the surname Wolfsdottir); married couples may not always share surnames either (though some may, e.g., Knut and Gaerta Whitebear). Some norn may also take titles instead of a surname if it fits them and their legend more (e.g., Borje the Sun Chaser)."

Sylvari
“Sylvari names, as well as place names in their starting zone Caledon Forest, are generally inspired by Celtic (mainly Irish and Scots Gaelic, but sometimes Welsh) names. Sylvari do not have surnames, as they’re all part of the same “family,” though to each other they are more like distant relatives except in special cases."

Charr
“Charr first names often have names based off of their culture (e.g., Pyre, Ember, Forge). Along with this male names are also sharp sounding with the consonants (e.g., using D, R, T, G, K, etc. used in names like Rytlock, Gron, Dinky) whereas female names are smoother (e.g., using C, L, S, Z, etc. such as names like Bathea, Kalla, Elexus); both genders often start with a sharp consonant though, but this is just generally and exceptions to this do exist. Some charr use Roman or Greek (inspired) names as well.

Charr surnames consist of two words put together, one of which (either suffix or prefix) denoting the warband of the individual (e.g., Rytlock Brimstone is of the Stone warband and Scylla Rustcloud of the Rust warband). Charr individuals generally get to pick variations of their surnames within the forming of their first warband which express their personality, ideals or history, though some limitations may apply.

Members of the same warband can also have their warband name in different order than other members of their warband, though this is rare – some examples include Lightbringer Swordshatter and Legionnaire Bloodsword of the Sword warband, and Vitus Silverpick of the Pick warband (where all other warband members have Pick as the prefix of their surnames)."

Human
“Human names vary from culture to culture, resulting in about seven different known naming varieties. Most naming styles follow real world culture’s names.

Ascalonian names typically follow a Central European and English naming style. Northern Canthans followed a mixture of Western naming system and Chinese (among other Asian) names (e.g., Canthan names wouldn’t follow the standard Asian style of family name first). Kurzick names were a mixture of Germanic and Asian names; and Luxons were a mix of Greek and Asian names. Elonian names were typically African. Historically, Krytan names have Southern European names generally, with some central European mixed in – though due to the merging of Elonian, Ascalonian, and Canthan names, the variety has spread to include those as well. Orrian names hold a heavy Arabic style to them. General fantasy names are also seen among various NPCs (particularly surnames among old Ascalonian families)."

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

This is brutal. EVERYTHING is taken. I’m one of those rare breeds who, admittedly, is rather OCD about charcter creation. I’ll spend hours getting my appearance just right, but even more important to me is my character’s name.

When I find a name I love, on the other hand, it’s pretty much guaranteed that I’ll steamroll the game all the way to max level and keep right on going. Totally immersed and fulfilled by every minute of the experience.

I’m a sucker for lore-conform names. I haven’t had any trouble so far creating character names that I love! So, I don’t know what you’re into, but here’s how I do it:

Human

If desired <first name | last name> is taken, add a middle initial.

“Amelie” is taken? Make it “Amelie Stirling”, “Amelie E Stirling”, etc.

Norn

Add a last name or boasty title.

“Lars” is taken? “Lars Barreltosser” is not.

Asura

Asura can be tricky as use short, single-word names. The good news is that they love titles. There is an abundance of titles that you can steal from Asura NPCs, but you can also make up your own ones.

“Trixxi” is taken? Try “Peacekeeper Trixxi” or “Golemancer Trixxi”.

Charr

Charr are the easiest to name, due to their warband last names. The chance that your character name has been taken is so low, I’m not even going to leave an example here.

Sylvari

Sylvari are the trickiest of all, as they don’t use very many titles (although there is of course Wardens and such) and a lore-conform name should sound at least vaguely celtic. But if your desired Sylvari nae is taken, you can always ad “-ael” or a similar syllable to the end.

General advice

• Stay away from accents, other than the ones that actually make sense for the name. It looks totally lame and makes it a pain for anybody to join on you, invite you to a party or whisper/mail.
  • Stay away from pop culture names. Create your own characters. “Danaerys Stormborn”, “Jon Snow” and all possible variations of those names are taken, and I’m sure your own ideas are more interesting anyway.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

It’s just part of playing a game with thousands of people. I can take over half an hour to name a character and sometimes I just cancel creation and come back later until I find the perfect name.

If you’re obsessed with name perfection like me you gotta accept that sometimes it’ll take a while to get the perfect name.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The only time I’ve had trouble getting a character name I wanted it was an asuran I wanted to call Xixxi. That was taken so I changed it to Xexxi. I got that one.

Usually I make names with at least two words, which makes it far less likely it’ll be taken. I also actually like using a lot of the ‘tricks’ people use to find unused variants on names, particularly using other languages (welsh, latin and quenya are my favourites). It’s fun to have a name with ‘hidden’ meanings.

For example I made a black and white sylvari and after a lot of googling settled on calling her Bethe Arian: bethe is an Old Irish word for birch and arian is welsh for silver, so silver birch.

I also made a norn thief called Halda, which is both a scandanavian girls name and a quenya word meaning shadowed or veiled.

Edit: Oh, come to think of it there was also the time I tried to get Zanthia, Zanthia the Mystic, Alchemist Zanthia etc. and every variant I could think of was taken. But in that case I just thought it was cool that there were other Kyrandia fans playing.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Severely limiting the scope of names I think are “decent”

Fixed that for you.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Vileste.7148

Vileste.7148

@ Everyone who has a hard time picking names, have a look here:
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/

I got many impressions from that site. All you (maybe) have to do is change single letters or add a surname or title if the generated name you want is already taken.

Posted by: Blair.3796

Blair.3796

Let me open by reminding everyone that according to the Terms of Service, we are not supposed to name characters after real people (living or dead) or fictional people from copyrighted works. This means that “Gandalf” isn’t allowed, and you’d be stretching it even with original variations such as “Gandalf the Hot Pink” or “Gandalf Goblincrusher.” Similarly, you’re not supposed to name your characters “Johnny Depp” or “Winston Churchill.” Even comedic variations (I’ve seen “Winston Charrchill” before) are technically not allowed.

What you can do, if you want to reference someone but not break the guidelines, is to use your character name to make allusions. Everyone would agree that “Abraham Lincoln” isn’t allowed, but there’s nothing wrong with “Mr. Log Cabin.” Which is a dumb example, but the point is to be creative.

For names, I like to go racially themed. So, “normal” names for humans, just add a last name with ~sson or ~dottir for Norn, go Irish/Scottish/Celtic/Gaelic/Arthurian for Sylvari, stick a double noun last name onto a Charr, and throw together fun syllables for an Asura.

Of course, you can always add accents and umlauts until a name you want finally goes through, but typically I find that looks silly.

Posted by: Royal.2693

Royal.2693

Just add one or more “x” or “I” at the beginning or the end of the name (or both).

Name X
Xx Name Xx
III Name III
Name II

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I’ll rephrase your post. Every name I want is taken because:

A.) I pick names of my favorite oh so secret book characters no one else has ever heard of. (this is the internet, try again)

B.) I like using common one word names expecting that my wonderful 6 Letter fantasy name is still available. (game has been out for 2.5 years. those were gone 5 minutes after launch)

C.) I’ve never used a second or third name in an MMO due to B. (get creative. make a family lineage or something. create a back story to all the characters you create)

D.) I like jumping on the bandwagon of complaining with other people now trying A – C in preperation for HoT.

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

I remember back in gw1 I didn’t get the name I wanted. I removed a letter from the last name. Turned “Lana Darkness” into “Lana Darkess”. It feels odd writing the former now.

The other name I didn’t get I added in a letter. You have to adapt. Doesn’t matter if you can’t get the name you wanted to begin with. The chance that the person with that name will give it to you is pretty slim. Shrug it off, make a new name and move on.

Couldn’t think of a name for my Sylvari Necro. Started googling. You’d be surprised what you can find there. I ended up with “Andraste The Unseen” (though I normally stay away from names with “the <x>” or titles, this one fit her).

But seriously, think about it. This is an MMO. Massive Multiplayer Online game. There have been over 3 MILLION copies of this game sold. Of course there are going to be people who wanted that popular name from tv show/movie/book “The Adventures of <Famous Character>”.

“You are not special. You’re not a beautiful and unique snowflake…”

To be honest I’m more concerned with how my character looks than what name I get, though I do love some of the names I’ve come up with.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Try to come up with something actually unique other than Itachi/Legolas

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

• Naturally, when a game is released all the basic names will be taken by players.
  • People start to get creative by adding middle names, last names or something of the likes.
  • When those are taken people resort to using accents; whether it be intentionally or purely for the cosmetic appearance of a letter looking like the original. e.g; ‘a’ being the original yet ‘à’ is similar in appearance although technically may not sound the same when spoken.

The reasons above have led people, and even myself to start using accents or special alt code characters to have a particular name. I recommend the following website if you need to find alt code characters:

http://www.mvdmoosdijk.nl/Misc/Altcodes/Alt-codes_for_characters.htm

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I find having name + surname combinations helps alleviate the issue with finding good names to use. A name you think sounds good is likely taken already, but if you use that same name with any other surname, chances are, no-one else has used that specific combination yet. I have yet to have any of my chosen name + surname combinations be used yet by other players, even when using a fairly common name with a fairly common surname simply because the odds of someone else using that particular combination is a lot lower than them using either the former or latter individually.

It opens up a lot of options and, with most races, it actually makes sense lore wise to have a surname, second name or title, except maybe with the Sylvari, because they are all born from one entity and thus don’t have individual family names. I still give my Sylvari second names anyway.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I got many impressions from that site. All you (maybe) have to do is change single letters or add a surname or title if the generated name you want is already taken.

I just tried the Sylvari male name generator on that site. The first name it gave me is… Barry…

Attachments:

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I just tried the Sylvari male name generator on that site. The first name it gave me is… Barry…

That’s actually quite appropriate considering Wikipedia says Barry is the English form of the Irish name Bareth (which apparently means ‘spear’).

Although Maybe Bareth or one of the other variants which aren’t as common these days would have been a better choice.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Hmmm…Bareth Maneloth…

There you go OP, solved!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Miss Lana.5276

First thing that came to mind:

https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltm8zsi6wM1qaq86ko1_500.gif

So long Treeface.

Posted by: pelto.7345

pelto.7345

i just want to yell Raistlin after reading an above post sure do miss that weird looking black robe and his companions the hero’s of the lance

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Many people use surnames to give their character a unique flair, you have twenty characters to use in a name which is more than enough for several words

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Ku Ku.1245

Ku Ku.1245

As well as all the good advice (duo/tri-named characters often easier to get than a single name) i suggest if your character is your ‘baby’ then name them like one: use baby naming sites.

I find sites like this one really good: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby-names-finder as you can type in a ‘meaning’ for a name rather than just searching alphabetically and you get results from languages and cultures around the world.

Personally I also use books I enjoy to name my characters. Especially those lovely, ridiculously long, fantasy epics that require a character list at the start of each book to help you keep track – they’re instant fantasy character name lists and often easy to modify or combine to make something unique!

Posted by: Hime.8316

Hime.8316

I’ve made a few characters in the past weeks and managed to get “Manatee” and “Film” it just takes a long time of searching for names. You’ll find one eventually.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I remember back in gw1 I didn’t get the name I wanted. I removed a letter from the last name. Turned “Lana Darkness” into “Lana Darkess”. It feels odd writing the former now.

The other name I didn’t get I added in a letter. You have to adapt. Doesn’t matter if you can’t get the name you wanted to begin with. The chance that the person with that name will give it to you is pretty slim. Shrug it off, make a new name and move on.

Couldn’t think of a name for my Sylvari Necro. Started googling. You’d be surprised what you can find there. I ended up with “Andraste The Unseen” (though I normally stay away from names with “the <x>” or titles, this one fit her).

But seriously, think about it. This is an MMO. Massive Multiplayer Online game. There have been over 3 MILLION copies of this game sold. Of course there are going to be people who wanted that popular name from tv show/movie/book “The Adventures of <Famous Character>”.

“You are not special. You’re not a beautiful and unique snowflake…”

To be honest I’m more concerned with how my character looks than what name I get, though I do love some of the names I’ve come up with.

Nice poke at dragon age origins there mate =)

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Way back in the days of arcade machines my initials were used by others so I ended up using AMY, DEB, JAN. I settled on AMY and the other players eventually connected me with the initials.

Later on I wanted to have “Swami” as my game name but everybody and their brother was called Swami, so I combined it with Hammurabi because I played a lot of Civilization and bacame Swamurabi. Instant uniqueness.

In GW1 I had a different name for each character, sometimes the class of the character was given away by the name. Two things I wanted to avoid in GW2. All my GW2 toons have the same first name so everyone can easily connect me with my alts. Secondly I’ve managed to assign last names (based on a series of books) to the toons that are a link to their class, but it’s not obvious like having a ranger named archer.

Posted by: Vileste.7148

Vileste.7148

Hm… okay thats funny.

I didn’t make that generator, so the only advice I can give is to click over and over again if there are no good names in the first list.

But Barry…. hrmpf. Funny indeed. Nothing against Barrys here.

For anyone who looks for racial directions (sounds weird lol), here my character names:
- Träumerin/Dreamer Scaera (Sylvari, think about nature/spiritual backgrounds)
- Doctor Ragy (Asura, try something academic)
- Tyr Ravensong (Norn, look up nordic names or gods + animals)
- Legatus Diabolo (Charr, roman titles always work good with them)
- Zinnia Heartthief (Human, pretty much everything you like)

But try to avoid names from other languages (e.g. french). My main character on the other account has a french sounding name (Vilenne) and I’m constantly thrown to french megaservers, perhaps because of that. Every other character lands on german/english mixed servers.

(edited by Vileste.7148)

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Of course, you can always add accents and umlauts until a name you want finally goes through, but typically I find that looks silly.

Unless, of course, you’re going with the aforementioned Irish for your Sylvari, in which case accent marks can be very appropriate.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

From what I recall GW2 never let you have the same character names, head start till now. So there could be only one Siela Riviere (using one of my name as an example).

I believe that is how Champions Online does it. Pick any name you like and people can use your global name to keep track of which Darkgloom Puppykicker you are.
Only issue there is the possibility of people impersonating others.

champions online use to use your account name so xxxxxxx@xxxxx. There was also no way to hide that info.. every chat message you sent would be charactername@accountname: “hi there how are you today”

so you could have multiple people with the same name, however many people didn’t like having their account name attached directly to literally everything they said.

As for solving the mmo problem with names, I still don’t see how adding numbers to something really fixes it… I wouldn’t mind using my acct tag in game.. Miku, however I would certainly not be a fan of being Miku.6297 in game.

Actually, there is an option to hide it. I only see account names in my chatbox if I hover over their name.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

If you’re familiar with Dungeons & Dragon games/maps you could always look up names from the map. It’s what I do from time to time if I’m stumped or a specific name is taken.

Not everyone grew up liking or heard of many D&D titles, such as Icewind Dale I & II, Neverwinter Nights (single play, not online), Baldur’s Gate I, II.. etc.

And many of the names are pretty random sounding, but its very unlikely they’re taken either.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: Swami.4691

Swami.4691

Wow.

First let me just say I’m overwhelmed by all the awesome responses in this thread. Reminds me of what an amicable community GW2 really can be, which is rare and amazing in the grand scheme of multiplayer games.

Just wanted to say thank you all for taking the time to comment, especially those who wrote suggestions. (And to the few exceptions, we all know getting the name you want is no picnic, so don’t even try to pin it all on me.)

I did manage to come up with some fairly awesome names, though. And even though the hours upon HOURS staring at the character creation screen trying to think of a kitten name is frustrating to the max, the scarcity of high quality names definitely makes you feel like you’ve got something really special when you find one that isn’t taken.

Anyway, just wanted to say I appreciate it guys. Oh and sorry it took me so long to write back. I don’t really frequent the forums that often and I got caught up with some IRL stuffs along the way.

Laters :]

(edited by Swami.4691)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Glad you got the problem resolved.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Eudaemons.1596

Eudaemons.1596

Just follow the lore for naming conventions. All 12 of my characters follow the lore naming conventions. Probably the hardest time I’ve ever had is with asura, but I have Varukk and Jommra, which are pretty nice names for asura IMO.

Charr and norn are probably the easiest, since you can come up with a common first name and a creative last name. My charr are Ralla Shieldbreaker, Nerva Spiritwalker, and Arrak Shadewalker, with my future female charr mesmer being named Miria Mindbreaker and male charr necromancer as Bram Lifebreaker.

Posted by: shaman.1938

shaman.1938

I am not trying to be mean but not sure how you can have issues since i just made 2 new characters and had no issues what so ever with a name.

If you want to name yourself .. Iamnumberone .. or something like that I can see the juvenile people all choosing it .. choose a popular character name is likewise likely not only taken BUT possibly locked or you could end up being made to change it since it is probably copy written..

stop being lame with names .. you have a lot of letter to choose from and you can use a 2nd name since you can add spaces

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Wow.

First let me just say I’m overwhelmed by all the awesome responses in this thread. Reminds me of what an amicable community GW2 really can be, which is rare and amazing in the grand scheme of multiplayer games.

Just wanted to say thank you all for taking the time to comment, especially those who wrote suggestions. (And to the few exceptions, we all know getting the name you want is no picnic, so don’t even try to pin it all on me.)

I did manage to come up with some fairly awesome names, though. And even though the hours upon HOURS staring at the character creation screen trying to think of a kitten name is frustrating to the max, the scarcity of high quality names definitely makes you feel like you’ve got something really special when you find one that isn’t taken.

Anyway, just wanted to say I appreciate it guys. Oh and sorry it took me so long to write back. I don’t really frequent the forums that often and I got caught up with some IRL stuffs along the way.

Laters :]

So are you going to take Bareth Maneloth? You know you can’t go wrong there.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Charr and norn are probably the easiest, since you can come up with a common first name and a creative last name. My charr are Ralla Shieldbreaker, Nerva Spiritwalker, and Arrak Shadewalker, with my future female charr mesmer being named Miria Mindbreaker and male charr necromancer as Bram Lifebreaker.

Love them.

Miss Lana.5276

I am not trying to be mean but not sure how you can have issues since i just made 2 new characters and had no issues what so ever with a name.

People are all different. What you may like may not be what someone else likes. What you are willing to put up with may not be what someone else is willing to put up with. I’m really anal about my character’s aesthetics, but not so much about the build. Others I know are the complete opposite.

Your comment is seemingly ignorant.

So long Treeface.

Posted by: Cypix Kull.5492

Cypix Kull.5492

I’m with you. If I don’t like the name of my character I will most likely not play it.

I usually think of a name that I like then use a name from fantasy books and other games as surnames. I like the names from the Magic the Gathering, I just modify it.

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

My Asuras:
Qibbi
Gaaira
Atajja
Gaijje
Gleela
Nioxxa
Daijja

only one with a tilte: Researcher Loofi; can’t complain.
Gaaira, Gleela, Nioxxa, and Daijja are all from 2014.

I usually also try having naming conventions. Like the standard Asura naming convention I used. But for example for Charr it’s that first and surname start with the same letter so I’ve got Bonfuse Burnpurr and Aurora Ashclaw. For Humans I do go for normal sounding names usually. Anna Jasmina, Megumi Azusa, Lana Ocean, Miranda Solheim, Mira Asoka.

(edited by MegumiAzusa.2918)

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

EVERYTHING is taken.

False.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Equilibriator.8741

Equilibriator.8741

It’s probably already been said, but just use 2 words.

Titles, second names, etc.

Posted by: GrimmR.3541

GrimmR.3541

I’m usually very uncreative with names. People tend to call me Grimm because of my account name, so i named my chars “Famè“ and “Sílence“..
After a while i got sick of it and went for “Rias The …“on all of my characters. 700g on Name change contracts! gg

toxic since 2012

Posted by: Riku.4821

Riku.4821

I’d just get immersed with it. for example from some of my characters.
Garruk Bonebreaker, Charr warrior.
Lyssa Cereous – Human Elementalist.
Warden Euan – Sylvari Ranger.

Charr – their “last names” are a clan name ____breaker, ____Ember, ____Borne.
Sylvari – Are mostly Celtic names.
Norn – Usually the “last name” is following an ancestors name or a title and the first name is mostly nordic, mostly. Braham Eirsson(Son of Eir), Feya The Strong, a name and title.
Human – Various cultures with a first and last name.
Asura – They have a name with double letters, and a egotistical title usually.
Vaak, Zojja, Biiz the insane. for example.

Mix it up and find some generators for names to give you examples of a combination of letters.

Guild Leader of Lunar Tree[LT].
Officer of Power Overwhelming[ZERK].
First term Forum PvE Specialist.