OK,let's both be realistic for a second:

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I would like to ,put a few points clear about the insults here:

if all the ‘wowtards’ leave GW2 than this game dies… it really will.
That has nothing to do with the fact which game is better, but it has everything to do with the simple fact that most MMO’ers play (or played) both.

Let me explain. You have WoW players, and then you have a small but vocal subset of WoW players we professional WoWtard observers call “WoWtards”. Most WoW players are perfectly normal and sane, WoWtards on the other hand are the sort of player that any MMO would be better off without.

Unfortunately they are usually over-represented on new MMO forums.

How to recognize them? Principally by the fact that they’re unable to play a new game on its own terms, and constantly compare this or that aspect of any new game to WoW.

If it’s similar to WoW, it’s copying WoW, if it’s different from WoW, it’s also fail. The enunciation of that peculiar double bind is the primary distinguishing mark of WoWtard-ery.

I understand fully what you mean by this, I really do.

My argument is that the terms ‘wowtard’ is mostly used by people defending their own game (in this case GW2) against anyone who critises it. Very often without anything in the critised post actually doing what you describe as a Wowtards behaviour.

And I’m not saying you do that…

If someone writes a post about him wanting to grind without the DR system,another pops up saying he’s a wowtard simply because grinding is a big (unavoidable) deal in WoW.
But that has nothing to do with the one writing the post about wanting to grind in GW2…

That is why I am going against the term, simply because it’s misused more as an random insult than it is against actual wowtards revealing themselves

Oh gotcha, I agree with you – yeah people do sometimes jump too quickly down critics’ throats, and it’s unpleasant to see.

I think some fans have felt a bit under attack, but there’s no need. It’s pretty clear that substantial numbers of people even on the forums express that they like the game. The game’s not in any sort of trouble at all, really. Just bugs and other problems that will probably mostly be sorted out (judging by other MMOs and by the rate at which Anet have been fixing problems concurrently).

Posted by: Ronin.8095

Ronin.8095

Ok, let’s both be unrealistic for a second:

A unicorn ate my baby.

Posted by: Gerik.8096

Gerik.8096

I mostly agree with OP except on one tiny little detail…

Start working on giving the players a reason to buy stuff off you

Be careful what you wish for….
They could make a “freemium” game where it’s generally crap and so you feel obligated to dish out the dough for the “VIP” treatment where for 30 days (sounds like a subscription fee already) they lighten the “punishment.” I’m thinking of Vindictus where you can buy an item that gives you better drop rates and increases your raid limit. There’s an assortment of other beneficial cash shop items that generally alleviate what is already a pretty crappy experience…
I won’t mention what they COULD do to GW2 in terms of “punishment” (like limiting bank access to “VIP-only”) for fear of the devs RUINING this game for the players (remember freemium games are the root of all evil—the anti-Christ—in the scope of online gaming).