Odd things that break your immersion?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Asura. I can’t believe the other races haven’t united to exterminate them.

Why? Wouldn’t they unite against the humans instead? The other races view human empathy and compassion as a weakness. However, what they don’t know is that despite human overall inferiority to the others (weaker or dumber depending on the race) the humans have heart and fighting spirit to make up for it. Humans are the Rocky of Tyria while Norns are that Russian guy, Charr Mr.T, and Asura Apollo Creed.

fighting spirit?

yeah I guess “their gods did everything for them” counts as “fighting spirits”,I mean balthazar is literally a “spirit of fighting” considering he’s a war god who caused all of the problems with the charr with his lust for conquest

Total retcon. Also, the gods did basically nothing for humans for what amounts to the entire GW1 storyline. In fact, in Nightfall our characters literally walked through hell just to ask them for help and they were like “uh, no, why don’t you take care of it?”

And do you know what we did, with no help from the gods, while keeping track of a blind lady with a sharp stick?

We literally killed a God

And then the blind lady was like “k guys, thx for all the godlike power… worship me! Sorry I almost killed the world!”

Also, the whole bit where Charr have no gods? They stopped worshipping gods because humans killed the only gods they ever had. Like 8 people. With hand weapons and no special relics or machinery. Then they freed Charr-Jesus from prison so he could spread his message of atheism to his people.

Charr were literally designed as “demonic fire-worshipping cat people” and later were retconned as “well, only this one group of charr” so they could shoehorn in some more completely unnecessary playable races. You know. because it’s an MMO, and we HAVE to have extra playable races, even though it quadruples animation costs and art time for every single piece of armor, resulting in all players ending up with less cosmetic and gear options.

It was only at that point (when they cancelled utopia and decided to do EOTN and GW2) that they decided that charr had:

• Females and children
  • Legions that weren’t evil
  • Enough sense to topple Orr (originally orr was simply lost, and the why was lost knowledge
  • Any other redeeming qualities

So, you’re welcome charr. Even though you blew up ascalon and have been occupying it ever since, we’re glad we could help you find atheism, and it’s cool that you’ve repayed the favor by providing the pact with sweet tanks and junk.

Even though we don’t need them.

Because humans can kill a god with swords.

It is a lot more convenient.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Getting 1500 ping at 4am because the one node is getting DDoS’ed as usual

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

Anime themed human female elementalist/mesmers hurt my eyes.

You have a problem with Canthans? I can get that some people just make a character and don’t bother to change its appearance at the start. As Ele/Mes/guardian human females default as a very “super moe cute” level Asian face for the Canthan heritage in the Guild Wars universe.

I really want to see more Elonian descent characters and proper named like Mohammad or something or African tribal names even.

Show your love for a bit more variety and the games different cultures!

It’s the bright neon hair and cutesy outfits that feel out of place, not the Asian faces (I’m Asian myself :p)

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

Why? Wouldn’t they unite against the humans instead? The other races view human empathy and compassion as a weakness. However, what they don’t know is that despite human overall inferiority to the others (weaker or dumber depending on the race) the humans have heart and fighting spirit to make up for it. Humans are the Rocky of Tyria while Norns are that Russian guy, Charr Mr.T, and Asura Apollo Creed.

fighting spirit?

yeah I guess “their gods did everything for them” counts as “fighting spirits”,I mean balthazar is literally a “spirit of fighting” considering he’s a war god who caused all of the problems with the charr with his lust for conquest

Total retcon. Also, the gods did basically nothing for humans for what amounts to the entire GW1 storyline. In fact, in Nightfall our characters literally walked through hell just to ask them for help and they were like “uh, no, why don’t you take care of it?”

And do you know what we did, with no help from the gods, while keeping track of a blind lady with a sharp stick?

And then the blind lady was like “k guys, thx for all the godlike power… worship me! Sorry I almost killed the world!”

Also, the whole bit where Charr have no gods? They stopped worshipping gods because humans killed the only gods they ever had. Like 8 people. With hand weapons and no special relics or machinery. Then they freed Charr-Jesus from prison so he could spread his message of atheism to his people.

Charr were literally designed as “demonic fire-worshipping cat people” and later were retconned as “well, only this one group of charr” so they could shoehorn in some more completely unnecessary playable races. You know. because it’s an MMO, and we HAVE to have extra playable races, even though it quadruples animation costs and art time for every single piece of armor, resulting in all players ending up with less cosmetic and gear options.

It was only at that point (when they cancelled utopia and decided to do EOTN and GW2) that they decided that charr had:

• Females and children
  • Enough sense to topple Orr (originally orr was simply lost, and the why was lost knowledge

So, you’re welcome charr. Even though you blew up ascalon and have been occupying it ever since, we’re glad we could help you find atheism, and it’s cool that you’ve repayed the favor by providing the pact with sweet tanks and junk.

you know the fun thing about retcons?

no matter how much you sceam that it’s a retcon, IT’S STILL CANON, AND IN-UNIVERSE, ALWAYS HAS BEEN.

as for saying how humans can kill gods with swords, it’s always funny to see people bring up that point when they had to literally nuke two countries (and in one case, bind their souls to endless burning agony) to beat the charr. and STILL lost.

let’s hope mordremoth doesn’t get too tough to handle, jennah may decide to bleed on the bloodstone behind her and reduce tyria to a smouldering crater, humans seem to excel at that.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

When I swim back out of the water.

Same here…I never understood the rationale of reminding us of the fourth wall by spraying water on it, seems pretentious.

In general GW2, I don’t think Arenanet takes immersion seriously. When I am in Tyria I always feel like I am somewhere like Disney or an amusement park; fun places to visit but impossible to mistake them for a genuine world. The ‘meta-immersion’ of Tyria boils down to piles of dead civilians and soldiers and us running around like the love children of Donald Trump and Liberace.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

PopeUrban.2578

fighting spirit?

• Females and children

you know the fun thing about retcons?

no matter how much you sceam that it’s a retcon, IT’S STILL CANON, AND IN-UNIVERSE, ALWAYS HAS BEEN.

as for saying how humans can kill gods with swords, it’s always funny to see people bring up that point when they had to literally nuke two countries (and in one case, bind their souls to endless burning agony) to beat the charr. and STILL lost.

let’s hope mordremoth doesn’t get too tough to handle, jennah may decide to bleed on the bloodstone behind her and reduce tyria to a smouldering crater, humans seem to excel at that.

Look here. Two insane monarchs (One of which was, again, murdered by humans with swords thus ending his threat for eternity while the Charr still can’t seem to clear the fallout from the other from Ascalon after 250 years. Also, Ebonhawke.) do not represent the entirety of humanity. Especially not current humanity, which is basically what’s left after we killed all the insane despots and cultists and kept the god-killers and people smart enough to flee over the mountains after fire worshipping demon cats turned their country in to a smoking crater.

Canon is, in the end, humans kill gods with swords. Charr can’t kill ghosts with tanks and helicopters. But hey, it’s okay. Bring the tanks, we’ll bring the swords, put the past behind us and lets go kill a dragon together.

But hey, treaties. Dragons and everything.

And those sylvari man, we gotta do something about them

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Snip…

Yes let’s burn them all down! Yumiko is ready with her fire magic! She wants a mass bonfire in front of the Balthazar statue!

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

Look here. Two insane monarchs (One of which was, again, murdered by humans with swords thus ending his threat for eternity while the Charr still can’t seem to clear the fallout from the other from Ascalon after 250 years. Also, Ebonhawke.) do not represent the entirety of humanity. Especially not current humanity, which is basically what’s left after we killed all the insane despots and cultists and kept the god-killers and people smart enough to flee over the mountains after fire worshipping demon cats turned their country in to a smoking crater.

Canon is, in the end, humans kill gods with swords. Charr can’t kill ghosts with tanks and helicopters. But hey, it’s okay. Bring the tanks, we’ll bring the swords, put the past behind us and lets go kill a dragon together.

But hey, treaties. Dragons and everything.

And those _sylvari_ man, we gotta do something about _them_

to be fair, we CAN kill ghosts with helicopters, they just don’t stay dead on account of being dead already.

ironically, we’ve now started to kill ghosts with swords... maybe you have a point there... (so do the swords! ha! (although not the sword that we’re using to kill the ghosts, that has fire instead))

as for the crazy monarchs, I was actually referring to vizier Khilbron blowing up Orr, not Thorn blowing up what remains of Palawa Joko’s patience (whatever happened to that guy anyway? *meanwhile in elona: PJ is fighting branded using zombies* eh, probably not important).

and yeah, between the asura and sylvari hogging all the glory, we really need some norn, charr, and human action, I’m fed up of taking orders from mice and talking cabbages.

Posted by: ananda.5946

ananda.5946

Wings. They totally break the atmosphere for me.

Cloned NPCs. In DR’s home instance, there are quadruplets standing next to each other around every corner. Would have been nice if they had more randomised models for NPCs.

PopeUrban.2578

Palawa Joko

About that. I have some ancestral documents here that assure me that he is most definately not still freed from eternal prison and not slowly amassing an army of undead and giant sand wurms to strike at central Tyria when it’s weakened from fighting back the elder dragons.

Nope.

Not like anyone released him and them sort of forgot about it and then wrote a deathbed confession or anything.

It’s all fine in Elona. Bet they’ll just show up one day and be like “It’s cool, we killed that last dragon with swords and didn’t see any zombies at all.”

I gotta… go… see a Magister about something.

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

Snip…

Yes let’s burn them all down! Yumiko is ready with her fire magic! She wants a mass bonfire in front of the Balthazar statue!

MODREMOTH WILL DEVOUR YOU ALL

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

Dramatic framerate drops during certain world boss events. Admittedly, my pc is not great, and I expect a loss in performance when there are a lot of people gathered in one place. But it really only happens during the actual boss fight. The worst offender for me is Frozen Maw. Before and after the final battle, there’s not much of an issue. But as soon as that darn snow storm starts up, it’s down to 3 FPS for me. I know I’m not the only one who gets this either, people often mention it during the event. I wish something could be done about the storm effects to make them a little more framerate-friendly.

I know, I know. “Time to update ur PC, mate! lulz.” But not all world bosses do this to the same degree, and the rest of the game runs fine. Plus, Silverwastes is way more complex an event, and doesn’t give any problems. Maybe it’s just programmed better, or something?

Just like with any game, low fps really takes away from the experience. When it drops to below 40, it starts to feel slower and laggier, and it really does make it horrible.

Um… yeah. I can imagine how frustrating that must be for you. 40 FPS, you say. Wow, how do you LIVE??

>:-(

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

For me, the biggest thing that breaks my immersion is the pet swap mechanic on my rangers.

It completely destroys any sense of my immersion when my current pet simply pops out of existence and is suddenly replaced with a different one. Even if my pet dies (temporarily, because magic), it’s only one molecular rearrangement and spatial repositioning relative to my location away from living again in the form of another animal, possibly of another species. Where exactly am I pulling this single tag-team replacement pet out of? Is it hanging out in an invisible nano-sized knapsack on my back that magically swaps places with my currently materialized pet?

So glad I don’t bother giving any of them names anymore due to names for pets being pretty much a worthless and unfinished feature where naming them is pretty pointless. They’ll be dead in 3 seconds anyway. Though they are quite useful for helping me recover from downed state. How? I have no idea. I’m in pain on the ground and I whistle or something, which causes my pet to simply stand near/on my injured body and this somehow heals my wounds. Just as confusing and immersion breaking is how my outreached hand somehow mends my broken body, as well as my stretching my hand outward toward an ore node underwater mines the rock…when the pick is on my other hand completely unused.

Oh magic, you crazy.

Also, if I have all of these pets, why am I only using one of them at a time instead of sicking all of them on my enemy at the same time?

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I don’t understand how anyone feels immersed in any game. I’m always aware I have a computer screen in front of me and I’m pushing buttons on a mouse.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Um… yeah. I can imagine how frustrating that must be for you. 40 FPS, you say. Wow, how do you LIVE??

It’s super obvious/obnoxious when you’re happily cruising along at 60 FPS and it suddenly tanks to 40 or whatever. Especially the feeling of increased input lag…

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

The gaudy anime inspired clones that pop up with the over the top wings, similar hair styles and obnoxious colored gear.

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

It’s super obvious/obnoxious when you’re happily cruising along at 60 FPS and it suddenly tanks to 40 or whatever. Especially the feeling of increased input lag…

I don’t notice fps drops until it drops to 10.