Official explanation for temporary content?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Agent Noun.7350

Agent Noun.7350

I’m wondering if ArenaNet has addressed why content like the new dungeon—which is excellent on many levels—always has to be temporary. Could you imagine how expansive this game could become if the new content that gets added could actually stick around?

Posted by: LinkR.6190

LinkR.6190

I believe they have said they are doing living stories in an attempt to give the game a more live feel. If something good sticks around too long it becomes stagnated. However, when it is taken away before this can happen, you are left with your nostalgia. There are indeed pros and cons to this tactic, but this is simply how Anet wants to do things. They are experimenting with what works and what doesn’t. If it doesn’t pan out as planned you can expect them to stop.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I believe they have said they are doing living stories in an attempt to give the game a more live feel. If something good sticks around too long it becomes stagnated. However, when it is taken away before this can happen, you are left with your nostalgia. There are indeed pros and cons to this tactic, but this is simply how Anet wants to do things. They are experimenting with what works and what doesn’t. If it doesn’t pan out as planned you can expect them to stop.

I think a better question is why do we have to go through 6 months of beta testing for them to have something not pan out. The idea of living story is really cool, and I applaud them for trying something different I guess, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth the entire time.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Agent Noun.7350

Well I really hope they do. It’s annoying to be told, “You better do this dungeon now or you’ll never get to!”, especially when I’ve done the eight permanent dungeons so many times I never want to see them again. Having a new permanent dungeon in the game would be fantastic.

If ArenaNet wants to add temporary open-world, “dynamic event” stuff, that makes sense to me. But making entire dungeons—entire GOOD dungeons—and then throwing them away after an arbitrary period of time not only makes no sense to me, but is immensely frustrating.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Depends on how many good dungeons will be coming in the future. Some of the other “good dungeons” aren’t so good after doing them a zillion times. I think there’s a bit of logic to having something that doesn’t hang around forever. That said, I think less than two weeks is way too short a time for a temporary dungeon.

Agent Noun.7350

I’d rather ArenaNet let me decide when I’m tired of a dungeon rather than putting a time limit on it at all. Leave it around, and when players are done with it they’ll stop playing it.

Posted by: LinkR.6190

LinkR.6190

I think a better question is why do we have to go through 6 months of beta testing for them to have something not pan out.

It’s sort of difficult to get an idea if something will work or not before they do it at least once. This IS their living story.

Posted by: AesirValkyr.7418

AesirValkyr.7418

I could see the dungeon living on as a fractal in the future.

Agent Noun.7350

That would be a pretty good middle ground, I think. I could support something like that.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

A few words and sentences to consider:
Too much of a good thing.
Familiarity breeds contempt.
Delayed gratification.

I think it’s an interesting exercise for an MMO developer to make content that may never be experienced again. It’s even more transient than TV shows; at least they get repeated.
Here, they’ve committed resources to making something that can only be experienced for a very small window of time.

Those that experience it will feel privileged to have played it. They’ll have a history with the game that newer players won’t.

Those who made it will experience something that many creatives don’t often have the chance to. They’ve made something that once it’s out in the wild, has a set lifespan.
Then it will die, never to be seen again.

Creatively, this is a very cool experiment, and I applaud ArenaNet for it.
Interestingly, the quality of the content itself is almost inconsequential. The important thing is the temporary nature.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Aeonblade.8709

I think a better question is why do we have to go through 6 months of beta testing for them to have something not pan out.

It’s sort of difficult to get an idea if something will work or not before they do it at least once. This IS their living story.

In all honesty it shouldn’t be a hard decision. Add a dungeon people can do for years or add a dungeon maybe if they are lucky half the people currently playing now will see.

You tell me which one would be better for the longevity of the game.

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

That would be a pretty good middle ground, I think. I could support something like that.

It’s too long to be a fractal.

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I think the idea is kind of neat as far as a living world, but they really need to add more permanent content before doing this stuff. Even keeping this temporary dungeon around, but slightly modified since the storyline is over, would be preferable than only having it for 2 weeks.

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

I also am sick of them taking everything away, they have removed so much from this game already

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

Vayne.8563

Many of the things though come back…like Halloween and Christmas content. That we’ll be seeing annually. What Anet is doing, at least in part, is building a library of things they can use.

It’s a very different idea for an MMO and I disagree with the poster who said they’d rather not go through six months of beta testing to see whether or not something will pan out. If everyone thought that way, the industry would be even more stagnant than it is now. Trying new things is what drives the industry forward. Without it, we’d all still be playing pong.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

So that players can come back and rush to the gem store

Aeonblade.8709

Many of the things though come back…like Halloween and Christmas content. That we’ll be seeing annually. What Anet is doing, at least in part, is building a library of things they can use.

It’s a very different idea for an MMO and I disagree with the poster who said they’d rather not go through six months of beta testing to see whether or not something will pan out. If everyone thought that way, the industry would be even more stagnant than it is now. Trying new things is what drives the industry forward. Without it, we’d all still be playing pong.

Only this isn’t a new thing. WoW and Rift have recurring seasonal events too, as well as chapters of the story as it unfolds. This whole “living story” thing has been around since WoW tried to do phased instances in WoTLK, it didn’t work out well then, I don’t see how this is going to end any differently.

Every time Rift unlocks a new raid or dungeon there is a 2-3 week event coinciding with the release of it. Only the raids or dungeons stay around forever after the event ends. This isn’t a new idea, and the GW2 version of it is poorly done.

Vayne.8563

Only this isn’t a new thing. WoW and Rift have recurring seasonal events too, as well as chapters of the story as it unfolds. This whole “living story” thing has been around since WoW tried to do phased instances in WoTLK, it didn’t work out well then, I don’t see how this is going to end any differently.

Every time Rift unlocks a new raid or dungeon there is a 2-3 week event coinciding with the release of it. Only the raids or dungeons stay around forever after the event ends. This isn’t a new idea, and the GW2 version of it is poorly done.

I played Rift quite extensively when it came out and I HATED the way they did events. I mean really hated them. Because every event became like a daily.

There wasn’t enough content in the game at launch. A tiny fraction of what Guild Wars 2 had to offer. So they hit us with these events. Not like short weekend events. Events that lasted until the next event. As you said, temporary content.

But there wasn’t always a raid attached to it, it was just the next event. And it was always the same. A new set of quests that you did over and over again every day for a new currency. Every event, every time. Drove me nuts.

So you want this minipet from this event, you have to play these events, over and over the same thing every day. That’s NOT the same as the living story idea, that, in theory, will bring changes to the world.

The living story didn’t make me do the same quest every day for more currency to buy the same stuff. It gave me something to do which I could do and forget about. This was very different than what Rift gave me.

And just because it didn’t work in WoW or Rift, doesn’t mean it won’t work here. That’s the nature of experimentation. There are plenty of examples I can think of where someone tries something and someone else tries and it someone else tries it and the third person gets it right. There’s no guarantees of course, but this is a very different game to Rift, with a very different prime audience. I’m not so sure that the Rift players, who were displaced WoW players in the first place, would appreciate this is quite the same way that Guild Wars 1 players might.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I think a better question is why do we have to go through 6 months of beta testing for them to have something not pan out. The idea of living story is really cool, and I applaud them for trying something different I guess, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth the entire time.

And this is why no one tries new things.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Aeonblade.8709

I played Rift quite extensively when it came out and I HATED the way they did events. I mean really hated them. Because every event became like a daily.

There wasn’t enough content in the game at launch. A tiny fraction of what Guild Wars 2 had to offer. So they hit us with these events. Not like short weekend events. Events that lasted until the next event. As you said, temporary content.

But there wasn’t always a raid attached to it, it was just the next event. And it was always the same. A new set of quests that you did over and over again every day for a new currency. Every event, every time. Drove me nuts.

So you want this minipet from this event, you have to play these events, over and over the same thing every day. That’s NOT the same as the living story idea, that, in theory, will bring changes to the world.

The living story didn’t make me do the same quest every day for more currency to buy the same stuff. It gave me something to do which I could do and forget about. This was very different than what Rift gave me.

And just because it didn’t work in WoW or Rift, doesn’t mean it won’t work here. That’s the nature of experimentation. There are plenty of examples I can think of where someone tries something and someone else tries and it someone else tries it and the third person gets it right. There’s no guarantees of course, but this is a very different game to Rift, with a very different prime audience. I’m not so sure that the Rift players, who were displaced WoW players in the first place, would appreciate this is quite the same way that Guild Wars 1 players might.

I can see your point. I guess my point is Living Story is not “living” up to my expectations personally I found the Rift events to have a richer story and more rewarding gameplay. And the pun is bad, very bad, I’m sorry :p

Vayne.8563

I can see your point. I guess my point is Living Story is not “living” up to my expectations personally I found the Rift events to have a richer story and more rewarding gameplay. And the pun is bad, very bad, I’m sorry :p

Actually I agree with you on this. The living story isn’t living up to my expectations either, though the new dungeon is pretty cool.

I think this was more of a test though for it, rather than a full scale implementation and I think as time goes on, Anet will get better with it. Think of it as a living story on training wheels.

There’s still a lot of the staff working on quality of life features and bugs and such, LFG tool, that sort of thing, stuff that should have been done ages ago. As that list of things get smaller, the teams that work on the living story can get bigger.

The future might be very different than what we’re seeing now.

Jski.6180

Any way i think this fall more under the psychology then the gaming world. Look at how humans talk to each other in person the words we use are temporary now compare that to an email or even a text there is far less meaning in it for the media that stays forever.
By keeping the content temporary give its more meaning that we are running the event during and after the event is gone.

Posted by: grave of hearts.7830

grave of hearts.7830

Beeing temporary isnt an issue,that was something to be expected on a living breathing world as anet advertised.
I see more of an issue the grind ammount to get a skin from them or a rare drop.

SoS Defence and Emergency commander
If you see a gear above my head……run
If you see me Offline,its totaly not a trap

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I’d rather ArenaNet let me decide when I’m tired of a dungeon rather than putting a time limit on it at all. Leave it around, and when players are done with it they’ll stop playing it.

My thoughts exactly. Its like they are making us play by their schedule instead of our own.

Beeing temporary isnt an issue,that was something to be expected on a living breathing world as anet advertised.
I see more of an issue the grind ammount to get a skin from them or a rare drop.

Yeah I don’t think it would be as much of an issue with me if the mini/jetpack were either guaranteed rewards (but account bound, and could be gotten once per character). Thats probably my biggest hate right now, not being able to get either to drop for me.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Not even. Phasing for WoW was basically instancing off the open world, separating friends who weren’t on the same quests, and was still a static part of the world (do the phases of Cataclysm at it’s launch and it’s the same if you did an alt character today).

The only closest things that can be compared to the LIVING STORY in GW2 from WoW would be the opening of AQ and the opening of the TBC gate. One time events that are never played again, change the world in some slight way, and give the players a memorable experience (also if you were there for TBC’s gate opening, did the events, you’d get a unique Fel Tabord that you cannot get again, ever..another comparison to this event in that the Gauntlets have the same limitation of most likely not being able to be obtained ever again).

Rift’s events -that’s if they haven’t changed since the first 8-months of the game- consisted of “go kill Dead minions, go close Death Rifts” or whatever rifts related to the content that was launching. That’s not all that interesting, has almost no story context to it save for the tiny bit that’s stored up into the dungeon only. On the other hand, every event that Guild Wars 2 has had EVERY EVENT has had a well woven story tied to it through actions in the game that lead up to it: beached whales and warning signs for the Karka thing, the melting of the water fountain and the ghost stories for Mad King, the airship visits lore and snow for Wintersday, and the refugees, signs, invasion portals and micro story instances for Flame&Frost. Context to the content.

Aeonblade.8709

Not even. Phasing for WoW was basically instancing off the open world, separating friends who weren’t on the same quests, and was still a static part of the world (do the phases of Cataclysm at it’s launch and it’s the same if you did an alt character today).

The only closest things that can be compared to the LIVING STORY in GW2 from WoW would be the opening of AQ and the opening of the TBC gate. One time events that are never played again, change the world in some slight way, and give the players a memorable experience (also if you were there for TBC’s gate opening, did the events, you’d get a unique Fel Tabord that you cannot get again, ever..another comparison to this event in that the Gauntlets have the same limitation of most likely not being able to be obtained ever again).

Rift’s events -that’s if they haven’t changed since the first 8-months of the game- consisted of “go kill Dead minions, go close Death Rifts” or whatever rifts related to the content that was launching. That’s not all that interesting, has almost no story context to it save for the tiny bit that’s stored up into the dungeon only. On the other hand, every event that Guild Wars 2 has had EVERY EVENT has had a well woven story tied to it through actions in the game that lead up to it: beached whales and warning signs for the Karka thing, the melting of the water fountain and the ghost stories for Mad King, the airship visits lore and snow for Wintersday, and the refugees, signs, invasion portals and micro story instances for Flame&Frost. Context to the content.

I was talking about the chapter events in the Rift story, not the every day zone events of closing Rifts and Killing minions that is in every game. The chapter events usually have unique fights and events associated with them.

Posted by: raiden.9024

raiden.9024

problem is new players joining will see no content had been added, how do u explain to ppl picking up the game 1year from launch o u missed all this content sorry your out of luck and they are stuck with the basic content the game launched with 1year ago by then…

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I think the 2-week duration is part of April Fools! :o

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

skullmount.1758

I think the 2-week duration is part of April Fools! :o

Its a little late, ain’t it? -_-

Darkhaven server

Vayne.8563

problem is new players joining will see no content had been added, how do u explain to ppl picking up the game 1year from launch o u missed all this content sorry your out of luck and they are stuck with the basic content the game launched with 1year ago by then…

How do you explain to someone who starts watching a 25 year old soap opera that it’s 25 years old.

If the game is good and the content is good, then it doesn’t matter. Because there’ll be cool stuff to do.

And really aside from the dungeon, what are you really missing from F&F? lol

Posted by: Obtuse.1504

Obtuse.1504

There really is nothing more to say than this. Agreed!

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

Part of me would have preferred this workload be converted to the 7 remaining dungeon overhauls they need to do.

Have no idea if the normal team did this dungeon or not.
If they did: They still have that “we want to build on what’s already in game” comment they need to uphold, which this deviates from slightly.
If they didn’t: Move those beautiful dungeon designers into revamping the older dungeons.

Vayne.8563

Part of me would have preferred this workload be converted to the 7 remaining dungeon overhauls they need to do.

If they did: They still have that “we want to build on what’s already in game” comment they need to uphold, which this deviates from slightly.
If they didn’t: Move those beautiful dungeon designers into revamping the older dungeons.

The normal dungeon team did not build this content. This was a different team.

But I think spending time revamping old dungeons is less valuable than creating a new one.

Look at AC. It was revitalized, but most people I know don’t want to run it.

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

The normal dungeon team did not build this content. This was a different team.

But I think spending time revamping old dungeons is less valuable than creating a new one.

Look at AC. It was revitalized, but most people I know don’t want to run it.

I guess so. It looks like the gap between event dungeons and normal dungeons is just getting bigger and bigger. This, SAB, even the xmas event dungeon were cool. (and have little to no restriction!) Then you return to the normality of the average game and it’s dungeons and…sigh

Posted by: raiden.9024

raiden.9024

How do you explain to someone who starts watching a 25 year old soap opera that it’s 25 years old.

If the game is good and the content is good, then it doesn’t matter. Because there’ll be cool stuff to do.

ah good u know Anet wont do any more temp content in the next 4 months, this isn’t TV, its a MMO were content gets added to show how long its been going. Yes new players playing a 1year old game but with the same content as when it launched u don’t see a issue here ? please. As for the soap thing they can go back and watch it lol can u go back and redo content Anet remove ?

(edited by raiden.9024)

Jski.6180

ah good u know Anet wont do any more temp content in the next 4 months, this isn’t TV, its a MMO were content gets added to show how long its been going. Yes new players playing a 1year old game but with the same content as when it launched u don’t see a issue here ? please. As for the soap thing they can go back and watch it lol can u go back and redo content Anet remove ?

Well that kind of the instinctive for ppl to keep playing it now we are given content that is exclusivity to the time. We are playing GW2 when there is not as much content and still things that are being fixed in time. So ppl who wait a year + for this game will miss out on some of the exclusive content because they waited but they will get the game that is better then it was before.

The idea of being a founder comes to mind that other mmorpgs tend to do but in GW2 its not about having stronger items or more spaces for items / heroes its about story and “in my day” type point of view.

skullmount.1758

The idea of being a founder comes to mind that other mmorpgs tend to do but in GW2 its not about having stronger items or more spaces for items / heroes its about story and “in my day” type point of view.

Except that you would still have that “in my day”/“I was there at the content release”, which the new players would have, except that they can still enjoy some of that content (since not everything from the LS should be permanent, ie. events like MA portals/geysers).

Darkhaven server

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

We’re trying something very unique and different with Gw2, and a lot of it plays back on the original ideas and concepts we had for the game all these years we’re trying to build towards and accomplish. It’s important to us to continue to try new things, looking at ways of evolving and innovating what a live game can be. In many cases, we’re learning right along with you guys how all of this is going to work for a live game, and constantly adjusting as we see the outcomes and find ways to innovate on what a true online world experience can be.

Living World is above all, the attempt to really give the sense the world is constantly changing and evolving. That there is events and content that change the world in the short term (like our current events) and events that can occur or change for the long term, which is what we’re slowly building towards in the future with Living World content.

Living world absolutely does not mean nothing but content that comes in and leaves again a few weeks later, and though so far that’s primarily what you’ve seen, it’s not all we will do in the future. The intent is living world provides us with a story and narrative experience, sort of like your favorite TV show, to constantly update and change the world and provide unique and exciting rewards on a regular basis.

We might have events that occur and came back again with a few modifications in the future. We may have events that occur and then find new homes permanently down the road. We may have bosses from a storyline that continue on forever as guild bounty hunts when a story completes. Living world also allows us the opportunity to upgrade and make parts of our existing game better permanently, a living world narrative could allow us to rebuild and change an existing zone or dungeon, or could destroy one entirely.

Our goal is to get to a point where on a regular basis, the world around you is not only changing in the short term through our normal event system, it’s changing and evolving permanently through our living world releases as well. What you’ve seen so far is primarily some tests and warmup stuff while we in the background organize the company to support this exciting future for our game, the future for living world is filled with endless possibilities.

Enjoy the ride!

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

Pretty much to the tee what I was hoping you guys were aiming for.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

We may have bosses from a storyline that continue on forever as guild bounty hunts when a story completes.

Oh. My. God. Please make the Dredge Engineer mini-boss from the Molten Facility who shoots all the weapons at us (and who we never kill) be a Bounty Hunt target with all of his crazy weapons! That would be so incredible!

In the meantime, please don’t forget about your old and permanent content. Fractals, for instance, has been left abandoned and worthless for so long it’s painful.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Awesome approach to an MMO. Keep up the great work.

Can’t wait to see where it all goes (and goes and goes and goes).

And yes to what Rising Dusk said – Dredge Engineer Mini-boss setting up weapon training areas everywhere in a particular zone would be an awesome bounty target addition.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Colin will there ever be a part of Fractals that allow us to play a recap of old content?
Stuff like that would be a win-win for those who want Fractals and others who long to play older stuff as well.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Meeks.1079

Meeks.1079

Why not give this content a 2nd life as a fractal? Would need to cut some of the trash down to make it shorter but fractals need content bad and would give an avenue to continue to enjoy a fun dungeon.

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Colin will there ever be a part of Fractals that allow us to play a recap of old content?
Stuff like that would be a win-win for those who want Fractals and others who long to play older stuff as well.

When I said we could update or change an existing dungeon, updating fractals in the future is one of the options that’s fully possible yes. And of course since fractals lets us experience moments trapped in time….it’s entirely possible some content may make its way there as part of a living world update.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I…I think I love you man. Thanks!

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

The problem is that the world hasn’t changed. Aside from whatever small, hour long content of the month is going on, the world is exactly the same as it was on release. The only real permanent fixtures have been fractals (which are good) and southsun (which doesn’t serve any purpose). Anybody trying to return to Guild Wars 2 after a break is going to find that it isn’t any different from when they left because everything that gets added keeps getting pulled out.

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

The first living story has yet to finish so how do you know that the zones will simply revert back to the way it was. If you bothered to talk to refugees in LA, they talk about moving to southsun. I haven’t been there yet, but I heard that a settlement is slowly being built.

Haters will be haters.

Players complain that the world is too static. ANet creates content that changes the world. Now players complain about world that changes.

(edited by kokocabana.8153)

Posted by: Ithir Darkleaf.7923

Ithir Darkleaf.7923

Thank you so much for showing up here and calming us Colin, it’s really nice to read your thoughts about the future of the game

Anyway, I have one concern more about this topic. I really love Living Story, it’s a brilliant and fresh idea to keep players playing the game with something always fresh but, on the other hand, wouldn’t be cooler (if that is possible) opening up new zones like Crystal Desert, with new places to explore, new hearts to do, new events, new dungeon, etc.
I know you probably have an ultra-secret plan for that but I’m really interested on what you think about this kind of permanent content.

~ The light of a new day

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

The problem is that the world hasn’t changed.

But the world has changed.

LA’s Lion statue was destroyed and slowly rebuilt. Refugees had set up camps in LA. The Consortium has built a refugee camp in Southsun.

It definitely is changing. Slowly but surely.

Jski.6180

The problem is that the world hasn’t changed.

But the world has changed.

LA’s Lion statue was destroyed and slowly rebuilt. Refugees had set up camps in LA. The Consortium has built a refugee camp in Southsun.

It definitely is changing. Slowly but surely.

So your saying we need to blow up the LA’s Lion statue up agen!? Good idea i think every event should blow it up hehe.
The last live event blow up the light house and its saying destroyed and a new one is being made that is a major changes. We also got a new zone with a new mob type that changed a lot too. Your right the world is changing but it must stay slow or it will become confusing for returning players and new players.