Oh, it's sooo dead... 7th place ain't so bad!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

The only thing worse than doom and gloomers is the eternal optimists this community has. So easily entertained and needing justification and vindication to enjoy this game. GW2 is fairly popular yet many of my friends quit, my guild has seen a loss of lots of players and sees an influx of more. The ebb and flow of the game changes with time.

If the game was full of people, they wouldn’t have put in megaservers now would they? People were complaining about empty servers and lack of people for events. Even with them some zones are void of people. I think the game is at an okay spot and will always have a spot where it’s not the top but never the bottom. GW2 has it’s perks and a long way to go.

I like the fast paced game play and how the game does it’s quests… hope more future mmos do the samething. Although I’m currently taking a break until class reworks are done, can’t be bothered with doing dailies now. I hope this motivates the GW2 team to really bring their a game to reach the top. Also hope they give up on the whole e-sports thing, let’s face it GW 2 will never, EVER, EVER be an e-sport but it can be a top MMO for sure.

Your post is correct except for one bit. The bit about why mega servers were put in. The thing is, a lot of people guested to the three busiest servers, causing those servers to overflow and other servers to be empty.

There were often multiple overflows on TC but no one on the servers causing the multiple overflows. TC people complained all the time (Blackgate people too) about not being able to get on their own server because of guesting.

This distributes people in a fairer manner.

Well I also read posts on here from players complaining they HAD to guest in order to complete world bosses or events. It wasn’t by choice so if their servers were full they wouldn’t need to guest in the first place. I think it’s a little bit of both because I believe an Anet employee posted the servers were so more people could occupy maps that weren’t very populated.

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

1. The game isnt going anywhere. MMOs can survive (and even flourish) with miniscule numbers. So, the idea that the game will die (defined as losing developer support or disappearing altogether) anytime soon is a ridiculous premise.

Indeed. For example, Earth & Beyond (one of my favorite MMO’s of all-time) was inexplicably shut down a decade ago after only two years up. That game has literally been dead since.

GW2 is nowhere near that state.

(edited by Torvic.8256)

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

The only thing worse than doom and gloomers is the eternal optimists this community has. So easily entertained and needing justification and vindication to enjoy this game. GW2 is fairly popular yet many of my friends quit, my guild has seen a loss of lots of players and sees an influx of more. The ebb and flow of the game changes with time.

If the game was full of people, they wouldn’t have put in megaservers now would they? People were complaining about empty servers and lack of people for events. Even with them some zones are void of people. I think the game is at an okay spot and will always have a spot where it’s not the top but never the bottom. GW2 has it’s perks and a long way to go.

I like the fast paced game play and how the game does it’s quests… hope more future mmos do the samething. Although I’m currently taking a break until class reworks are done, can’t be bothered with doing dailies now. I hope this motivates the GW2 team to really bring their a game to reach the top. Also hope they give up on the whole e-sports thing, let’s face it GW 2 will never, EVER, EVER be an e-sport but it can be a top MMO for sure.

Your post is correct except for one bit. The bit about why mega servers were put in. The thing is, a lot of people guested to the three busiest servers, causing those servers to overflow and other servers to be empty.

There were often multiple overflows on TC but no one on the servers causing the multiple overflows. TC people complained all the time (Blackgate people too) about not being able to get on their own server because of guesting.

These people guested to busy servers because their servers were dead…..

The most logical reason why Megaservers were implemented is because of such dead zones / servers.. Even when I was in JQ leveling my alt, I rarely saw someone else in other low-mid lvl zones outside of champ trains..and mind you, JQ was actually supposed to be a very populated server…I could rarely do any events in these zones due to lack of help like lornar pass, dredge cliffs, etc besides hop around from heart to heart.

Megaservers were pretty much a global server merge and it helped alleviate the problem with such amount of dead zones in this game

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Ok OP, so to summarize, looking at Raptr, Steam, Xfire & Overwolf, the top 3-4 PC games have a large population, whereas the rest are small, including GW2.
GW2 is financially well, as per NCSoft’s earning report, with it’s small population.
No sarcasm.

It’s not small, if it’s like in the top ten, it’s just not huge. All size is relative. Didn’t anyone ever tell you that?

Relative to the top 3-4 it’s small, so it’s small.

What is it relative to #20. lol

Anyway the top game is completely free to play.

You must have a tiny set of vocabulary. Hey, look, I even slipped in the word for you.
And yes, the top game has a massive number of registered players, huge twitch viewership, huge hours logged compared to the others and huge concurrency. Up to you to piece the information together.

The way I read it, and of course you can read it any way you want, there are six games higher than Guild Wars 2, but only one of them is an MMORPG, which is WoW. If you really want to compare numbers, the most popular free to play Moba is going to have more users than even the most popular MMO. But Guild Wars 2 has a purchase price and some of the games above it don’t. So it having more people playing means what exactly? Compare apples to apples maybe?

The thing is, Guild Wars 2, for a 2 year old MMO in a crowded field, with so many free MMOs out there should be happy to be on that list at all let alone near the top of it.

In your desire to prove that this game isn’t doing well, you’re proving just the opposite. Thanks.

Oh look, shifting goal posts now.
And your petty stunt to imply I’m trying to prove the game isn’t doing well? Wow, bravo. Good stretch of imagination.

People can read your post history and figure that out. I’m out of here. Feel free to get the last word.

Yeah I said NCSoft reports the game is doing well financially. Man, this must be so embarrassing for you.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The most logical reason why Megaservers were implemented is because of such dead zones / servers.. Even when I was in JQ leveling my alt, I rarely saw someone else in other low-mid lvl zones outside of champ trains.. could rarely do any events besides hop around from heart to heart.

Megaservers were pretty much a global server merge and it helped alleviate the problem with such amount of dead zones in this game

People guested for other reasons too. They guested to do Tequatl. There was one server, a smaller one, that refused to guest and low and behold, they had a reason to do Tequatl. People always like to play on the busier server.

You’re making the assumption servers were dead because no one was playing, rather than servers were dead because people were guesting. The thing is, it’s not provable either way.

SkiTz.4590

The most logical reason why Megaservers were implemented is because of such dead zones / servers.. Even when I was in JQ leveling my alt, I rarely saw someone else in other low-mid lvl zones outside of champ trains.. could rarely do any events besides hop around from heart to heart.

People guested for other reasons too. They guested to do Tequatl. There was one server, a smaller one, that refused to guest and low and behold, they had a reason to do Tequatl. People always like to play on the busier server.

You’re making the assumption servers were dead because no one was playing, rather than servers were dead because people were guesting. The thing is, it’s not provable either way.

It’s a logical assumption… Why would people want to guest? because their home server was not busy.. aka DEAD lol.

And now, Teq is even more of a headache to organize.. you gotta hope to be rolled into a good OF map or look for a taxi, etc..

Your right however, it’s not provable unless anet comes out and specifically states “hey, we did megaservers because a lot of servers were not as highly populated as we’d like”… but they won’t say that lol.

But I’m sticking with my assumption, because its logically sound…

You can spin it however you want to, doesn’t change the fact that a lot of servers were extremely inactive

Vayne.8563

It’s a logical assumption… Why would people want to guest? because their home server was not busy.. aka DEAD lol.

And now, Teq is even more of a headache to organize.. you gotta hope to be rolled into a good OF map or look for a taxi, etc..

Your right however, it’s not provable unless anet comes out and specifically states “hey, we did megaservers because a lot of servers were not as highly populated as we’d like”… but they won’t say that lol.

But I’m sticking with my assumption, because its logically sound…

You can spin it however you want to, doesn’t change the fact that a lot of servers were extremely inactive

It’s a chicken and egg thing. First of all. logically, it’s 100% irrelevant if you saw people in the world or not. Even the busiest MMO has people complaining about dead zones. It means nothing. MMOs funnel people into specific areas and those areas, generally were busy. The problem is, a lot of people found other areas not busy. Those people started guesting to TC and Blackgate and even JQ to find people in the open world.

Each person that guested, was taking people out of the less busy worlds to play with. There were less people around to do even stuff like the Shatterer. But even though Server 1 had less people, server 2 had several overflows. We once tried to get on a Marionette server, a group of five, and five of us ended up on all different overflows. How many overflows? No one knows. But those overflows came from somewhere. It wasn’t just TC people.

So if you then take those overflows and put everyone back on their server, how many people would have been there? Enough to do the Marionette, I’d wager.

Can I prove it. Nope. But considering WoW, which is the most successful MMO to date, has the same complaint about empty zones, I’m not really sure what this entire conversation was about.

From my standpoint. the game is one of the most successful MMORPGs on the market. Several different sources all saying the same thing aren’t all likely to have gotten it wrong.

Again, you can believe anything you want.

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

Does Gw2 have problems? Of course it does. No MMO is perfect. Is it living up to it’s potential? I don’t think so, but in general, On average, I think it’s heading in the right direction.

is my faith in Anet restored? yes. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I have to be honest, it tastes pretty good.

IMO Gw2 is fun to play, and has a very helpful and good community on average. Yes we have players that are not the most helpful, or friendly… etc etc etc but who doesn’t?

Something people can help me with. It’s one thing to say " these third party lists are not representative." And something else to say " In Spite of any and all evidence, this game is ( fill in the blank woth pejorative adjective of choice here).

Or " the game is fail… because.. empty zones… megaserver."

What I find ironic is World of Warcraft has 7 million players…. and yet is also considered " dead" by players. It also incorporated a version of megaserver. Not sure on the particulars. But it also had dead zones….. is World of Warcraft also dead?

7 million players x $15 a month = Dead?

Just as an aside. World of Warcraft after 8 to 10 years of Skill Bloat has decided to shrink it’s skills, and make some of them into passives… and combine others.

Is it just coincidence? Maybe it is, or … maybe they just see how Gw2 has turned " less into more." ?

I don’t think the problem is the games. I think the problem is many of our players, are just … too picky. It’s amazing how much they expect for their $60. Any little thing is a Little off by them…and suddenly the game is…. fail.

I think we need to learn that no MMO is perfect. And Just ask " is it enjoyable to me?"

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The most logical reason why Megaservers were implemented is because of such dead zones / servers.. Even when I was in JQ leveling my alt, I rarely saw someone else in other low-mid lvl zones outside of champ trains..and mind you, JQ was actually supposed to be a very populated server…I could rarely do any events in these zones due to lack of help like lornar pass, dredge cliffs, etc besides hop around from heart to heart.

I guess this goes to show that one person’s meat is another person’s poison. Before mega server I was able to go to the mid zones and do events, mostly but not always solo. I never had to go far to find an event of some kind. Now, post mega-server, I am lucky to find an event in these zones. I wandered for an hour in Blazeridge Steppes yesterday, and found one event.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

earnings report is out, GW2 is trending down in terms of US and EU, but contributing to royalties. Wildstar is out performing it, but not by much for a new release.

Personally i figured this would be the case, My perception is that the game essentially needs some big expansion like content (i mean new zones, modes, professions, weapons) to revitalize the NA/EU market, there is only so long most people can play the same stuff.

As for the the number 7 stat, its good that people are still engaged enough to log in once a month, but that doesnt tell us much with a buy to play mmo. It would seem a different type of datapoint might be more relevant.

To be clear, GW2 is still doing adequately well in earnings, its still the number 3 earner for ncsoft. Its just that it is getting closer to the lower earners, blade and soul and aion.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Beyond say WoW seeing mmorpgs on a “best of pc” list is a bit odd.

But ya this game is far from dead GW1 is a “dead” game because the makers are not adding in new content a lot of the single players games die once they are out or after the game makers is done making dlc etc.. So GW2 is still good and alive being that the game makers are still added content at the rate they are is proof enough alone.

Guild Wars is not a dead game because the servers are still active, and players are playing it.

While the game is On life support, it is not dead. A dead game had the servers turned off. City of Heroes is a dead game, Star Wars Galaxies is a dead Game… They had the servers shut down…that is dead.

As long as :

1. Servers are still up.
2. Players still play the game.

The Game is not dead.

Just become ppl play it and the servers are up still dose not make the game alive. Living is growth and changes GW1 is not growing or changing any more it may still have ppl playing it but the game makers no longer add in new content for the game making it a dead game well more of a living dead game. You can make your argument for any single player game as never being dead because some one somewhere maybe playing it. In some ways you can get old mmorpgs that are no longer out there and make private worlds but this dose not mean the games are still “living.”

The life span of a game is going to be off the makers of that game and there willingness to keep adding to that game. Its not a if the lights are trued on or not deal.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

If the issue was too many people guesting I think it would have been easier, cheaper, and more effective for Anet to throttle the guesting in some way than to add an entirely new system, something that seems to have involved a lot of work over some significant period time.

I am much more inclined to think that Anet realized that they had large amounts of playable content not living up to its potential because there is so much to do in the game that people were spread out to the point that some significant portion of this content was unplayable due to an insufficiency of players on site.. This does not necessarily indicate a problem with population but rather the freedom of what to do/where to go inherent in GW2’s open world leads to player dispersion (or concentration in the most profitable farming areas).

SkiTz.4590

But ya this game is far from dead GW1 is a “dead” game because the makers are not adding in new content a lot of the single players games die once they are out or after the game makers is done making dlc etc.. So GW2 is still good and alive being that the game makers are still added content at the rate they are is proof enough alone.

Guild Wars is not a dead game because the servers are still active, and players are playing it.

While the game is On life support, it is not dead. A dead game had the servers turned off. City of Heroes is a dead game, Star Wars Galaxies is a dead Game… They had the servers shut down…that is dead.

As long as :

1. Servers are still up.

The Game is not dead.

Just become ppl play it and the servers are up still dose not make the game alive. Living is growth and changes GW1 is not growing or changing any more it may still have ppl playing it but the game makers no longer add in new content for the game making it a dead game well more of a living dead game. You can make your argument for any single player game as never being dead because some one somewhere maybe playing it. In some ways you can get old mmorpgs that are no longer out there and make private worlds but this dose not mean the games are still “living.”

The life span of a game is going to be off the makers of that game and there willingness to keep adding to that game. Its not a if the lights are trued on or not deal.

Pretty much spot on..
GW1 is very much dead…it has little to no support lol… your definition of dead is fine, but to me, if the game isn’t ALIVE, than its dead, simple as that. GW1 is not alive….You believe games have to be completely shut off for them to be truely dead, and thats a fine way to go about, just realize very ppl accept that lol.

EQ is dead, Runescape is dead, ofc it has a few players still playin and servers up.. but be real, if you are on life support, there’s little to no chance you are coming back to life…

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

earnings report is out, GW2 is trending down in terms of US and EU, but contributing to royalties. Wildstar is out performing it, but not by much for a new release.

Personally i figured this would be the case, My perception is that the game essentially needs some big expansion like content (i mean new zones, modes, professions, weapons) to revitalize the NA/EU market, there is only so long most people can play the same stuff.

As for the the number 7 stat, its good that people are still engaged enough to log in once a month, but that doesnt tell us much with a buy to play mmo. It would seem a different type of datapoint might be more relevant.

To be clear, GW2 is still doing adequately well in earnings, its still the number 3 earner for ncsoft. Its just that it is getting closer to the lower earners, blade and soul and aion.

This.

Whenever a new patch is deployed it’s also likely that people go online to check it out only to go offline for the rest of the month 5 min after.

Or people just doing their dailies. Not that it’s a bad thing – it’s what B2P appeal is anyway. Is it profitable enough to keep the game running and updated as frequently for more years to come? Remains to be seen.

OT: is this the same Vayne that posted a good bye thread about him moving to reddit?

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

All statistics online social media website are all over the places. The only reliable source if you ask Anet and each game studios about the population active players. That’s the proper way to measure it.

Not 3rd party software, not even Steam that has 30million+ accounts with 6-7mil active peak time.

Why?

1. Not everyone use Steam to launch GW2.
2. Not everyone use Raptr with GW2.
3. Not everyone use Overwolf with GW2.
4. Not everyone use GW2.exe launcher to start the game.
5. There are at least freaking 4 examples way to launch GW2.

X. How is this reliable statistic? It’s all over the places.

Me. I use SweetFX Configurator to launch GW2.

You do realize after you configure sweetfx and launch it once with the configurator, you can just straight launch the game and don’t have to use it to launch the game anymore.

Nerelith.7360

As long as :

1. Servers are still up.

The Game is not dead.

Pretty much spot on..
GW1 is very much dead…it has little to no support lol… your definition of dead is fine, but to me, if the game isn’t ALIVE, than its dead, simple as that. GW1 is not alive….You believe games have to be completely shut off for them to be truely dead, and thats a fine way to go about, just realize very ppl accept that lol.

EQ is dead, Runescape is dead, ofc it has a few players still playin and servers up.. but be real, if you are on life support, there’s little to no chance you are coming back to life…

Whether few ppl accept it or not, is of little importance to me. The definition of alive and dead are pretty clear. Just because something is Not " growing" doesn’t mean it’s dead.

EQ is alive, and so is Runescape. Since the servers are still up.

Just because something is on life support, it has to have life to support it. Or…are all the patients on life support dead too?

Dead = dead. And it is pretty well defined.

But… people can have different opinions. You have yours, I have mine.

We will have to agree to disagree.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

NCSoft’s 2nd Quarter Earnings report: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/419178/NC-second-quarter-earnings.html

Lineage 1 is 1st
Wildstar is 2nd
GW2 is 3rd

GW2 sales dropped from 25,142 in the 1st Quarter, to 22,214 in the 2nd Quarter. The previous Quarter was 28,899.

That shows that GW2 is declining in sales, while Wildstar is rising (due to being a new MMO of course).

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

GW2 sales dropped from 25,142 in the 1st Quarter, to 22,214 in the 2nd Quarter. The previous Quarter was 28,899.

Previous 2nd quarter was 28,889 million KrW. Just eliminating any ambiguity.

And sadly the mods haven’t moved my post on this the the discussions board, I accidentally made it on the player helping player board.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/GW2-2nd-quarter-numbers-NA-EU-only/

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

SkiTz.4590

As long as :

1. Servers are still up.

The Game is not dead.

Pretty much spot on..

Whether few ppl accept it or not, is of little importance to me. The definition of alive and dead are pretty clear. Just because something is Not " growing" doesn’t mean it’s dead.

EQ is alive, and so is Runescape. Since the servers are still up.

Just because something is on life support, it has to have life to support it. Or…are all the patients on life support dead too?

Dead = dead. And it is pretty well defined.

But… people can have different opinions. You have yours, I have mine.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Lol yes, i agree well just have to agree to disagree here, either way, its not good to be on life support (not saying GW2 is … it’s doing perfectly fine and will continue to do so for the forseeable future)

I just don’t want to see something happen like it did with runescape, where they peaked at 250-300k CONCURRENT players during its prime days, to barely 30k concurrent playerbase which is what its hovering around now.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

All statistics online social media website are all over the places. The only reliable source if you ask Anet and each game studios about the population active players. That’s the proper way to measure it.

Not 3rd party software, not even Steam that has 30million+ accounts with 6-7mil active peak time.

Why?

1. Not everyone use Steam to launch GW2.
2. Not everyone use Raptr with GW2.
3. Not everyone use Overwolf with GW2.
4. Not everyone use GW2.exe launcher to start the game.
5. There are at least freaking 4 examples way to launch GW2.

X. How is this reliable statistic? It’s all over the places.

Me. I use SweetFX Configurator to launch GW2.

SweetFX configurator or any other 3rd party program will always launch gw2.exe. So a program like raptr will still capture someone playing gw2, even if they are using sweetfx configurator to launch GW2.

Jski.6180

As long as :

1. Servers are still up.

The Game is not dead.

Pretty much spot on..

See to me EQ and Runescape (as far as i know) are still getting add on to there game and there game makers are still working on them meaning though games are still alive they are just more niche then they use to be. That the major point niche games and a game being in a niche dose not make the game dead it just makes the marked for it smaller even GW1 was a niche game back in its hay-days but the game makers where adding more content to the game and updating it so it was not dead.

If you want to get down to it all mmorpg are a niche games compared to say WoW but ppl like to view it as if “if you do not have WoW numbers or your not killing WoW your game is dead” and that is about as foolish as it can get and if we expanded this point of view onto other games all games but the few high pop. games are the only ones that are living.

GW2 has a good niche its bigger then most mmorpgs but still not as big as WoW but the money is still being made by GW2 and the game makers are still putting work into the game at a high rate so when ppl say “GW2 is dead and or dieing” they are more or less making fools of them self because they are only talking about a small point of view that cant tell the full story of what going on.

(edited by Jski.6180)

Nerelith.7360

As long as :

1. Servers are still up.

The Game is not dead.

Pretty much spot on..

See to me EQ and Runescape (as far as i know) are still getting add on to there game and there game makers are still working on them meaning though games are still alive they are just more niche then they use to be. That the major point niche games and a game being in a niche dose not make the game dead it just makes the marked for it smaller even GW1 was a niche game back in its hay-days but the game makers where adding more content to the game and updating it so it was not dead.

If you want to get down to it all mmorpg are a niche games compared to say WoW but ppl like to view it as if “if you do not have WoW numbers or your not killing WoW your game is dead” and that is about as foolish as it can get and if we expanded this point of view onto other games all games but the few high pop. games are the only ones that are living.

GW2 has a good niche its bigger then most mmorpgs but still not as big as WoW but the money is still being made by GW2 and the game makers are still putting work into the game at a high rate so when ppl say “GW2 is dead and or dieing” they are more or less making fools of them self because they are only talking about a small point of view that cant tell the full story of what going on.

I have to agree. Fact is that until WoW made it’s first expansion , the MMO genre was a Niche scene. ALL games were known to be Niche games.

it wasn’t til after WoW that developers started thinking of " appealing to mainstream and casual markets."

maybe both a blessing and a curse? There are games that do not have a lot of concurrent players that are doing fine, the player base is playing , and having fun.

What I don’t understand is, why players cannot simply enjoy the games they play without seeking to see how their game da’jour ranks with other games?

Why does it have to be pulling in players? if the game itself plays well?

and what do we care about NCSoft quarter earnings? Are we stockholders ?

what is it with all this argumentum ad populum? " look a Billion other players agree…the game is fun!"

Or on the other hand " It only had 100 players on xfire, the game sucks’?

Jski.6180

I have to agree. Fact is that until WoW made it’s first expansion , the MMO genre was a Niche scene. ALL games were known to be Niche games.

it wasn’t til after WoW that developers started thinking of " appealing to mainstream and casual markets."

maybe both a blessing and a curse? There are games that do not have a lot of concurrent players that are doing fine, the player base is playing , and having fun.

What I don’t understand is, why players cannot simply enjoy the games they play without seeking to see how their game da’jour ranks with other games?

what is it with all this argumentum ad populum? " look a Billion other players agree…the game is fun!"

Well think about it this way: random twitch chat room watching SF4 on the pc, there was some lag in a fight they had to reset then the room went crazy over how bad pc was, but they comply seem to forget that an xbox ps4 etc… are all type of pc. My point is its all an ego thing we put our egos in games system sports teams and because all of these are flawed we get our ego harmed when something dose not do as well and we have a powerful hate reaction of things we look in such a way.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Any list that shows LoL and Minecraft as a 1st places is totally discredited.

You must be living under a rock then, League of Legends and Minecraft are hands down the most played PC games right now.

Minecraft might be the most played game across multiple platforms, with it being on so many and fairly easy on sys requirements.

(Long live Achievement City…)

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Grats to Anet for making the list. I also note that Eve Online didn’t make the list at all.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Vayne.8563

Logically as a buy to play game, it was always going to have less income as less people buy boxes. That’s completely expected in line with most games. It’s planned for in business plans. Very few people would make a buy to play game and expect the same income month after month.

There is going to be an expansion. I keep saying it. But it will be on Anet’s time table that’s all.

Vayne.8563

This.

Whenever a new patch is deployed it’s also likely that people go online to check it out only to go offline for the rest of the month 5 min after.

Or people just doing their dailies. Not that it’s a bad thing – it’s what B2P appeal is anyway. Is it profitable enough to keep the game running and updated as frequently for more years to come? Remains to be seen.

OT: is this the same Vayne that posted a good bye thread about him moving to reddit?

Yep I’m the same Vayne. A few people, including some people who don’t agree with anything I say, asked me to come back, so I did. But the break was really really nice. It was a good month off. lol

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

GTA San Andres is up there!!! That game like 15 years old.

If they had an MMORPG GTA game I’d leave in a heartbeat. #Needmoregangstagames
Or a #DefJamFightForNewYorkMMORPG

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

GW2 would easily be top 5 if the devs had more freedom.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

GTA San Andres is up there!!! That game like 15 years old.

If they had an MMORPG GTA game I’d leave in a heartbeat. #Needmoregangstagames
Or a #DefJamFightForNewYorkMMORPG

Think that’s bad. Someone today/yesterday posted the most pirated game in the last 40 days by US state. Mississippi’s most pirated game is Sims 2. Not Sims 3 like a few other states, Sims 2. How old is that? 9, 10 years.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Tobias Trueflight.8350

No, I think if the devs had more freedom to do whatever they wished, it’d be outside the top 10. Sometimes too much freedom isn’t as good for creativity. (See, World 2 SAB)

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

As long as :

1. Servers are still up.

The Game is not dead.

Pretty much spot on..

Some people just like to look at sales ratings to validate whether or not a game is going to be popular or dying. I mean, there are other games that were less popular than GW2 and still managed to retain players (whether they be casual, hardcore or gold farmer).

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Leo Paul.1659

This.

Yep I’m the same Vayne. A few people, including some people who don’t agree with anything I say, asked me to come back, so I did. But the break was really really nice. It was a good month off. lol

LOL welcome back. The forum just ain’t that fun without people like you to disagree with :p

Vayne.8563

Well yeah, the whole use of the word dead is pure hyperbole. City of Heroes is a dead game…because they shut down the servers. That’s what makes games dead. You could say a game is past it’s prime or you could say a game is not receiving updates or it’s in maintenance mode, but that’s clearly not the case with Guild Wars 2 either.

Leo Paul.1659

Well yeah, the whole use of the word dead is pure hyperbole. City of Heroes is a dead game…because they shut down the servers. That’s what makes games dead. You could say a game is past it’s prime or you could say a game is not receiving updates or it’s in maintenance mode, but that’s clearly not the case with Guild Wars 2 either.

I dunno why people would actively want this game to be dead as well. I mean, I may hate some of the content that they’ve released, but as a B2P game, I still want it to be around for a long time and receive constant updates.

Vayne.8563

I dunno why people would actively want this game to be dead as well. I mean, I may hate some of the content that they’ve released, but as a B2P game, I still want it to be around for a long time and receive constant updates.

People want the game to be dead because they feel betrayed by the changes, which is fair enough. They’re angry. The game isn’t want they wanted it to be. And they’re so vested in that desire that they want the company to crash and burn, because the company is making a game they don’t like that they desperately wanted to like.

The problem is, they have trouble acknowledging that people who like it can be intelligent and thoughtful and having fun. Because we don’t see their obvious point of view, we must all be blind fan boys.

It’s pretty much human nature. We stopped fighting over physical territory and now we fight over ideological territory. Instead of hurling feces we hurl words at each other. It’s all basic primate behavior.

Nerelith.7360

This.

I used to disagree with you, personally… I hate to see even people I disagree with leave. They take their unique perspective with them. I believe if we all agreed with one another all the time, and tossed out whoever disagreed

1. The world would be a Lonely boring place….
2. We would never learn anything…

Am glad you decided to stay.

Nerelith.7360

No, I think if the devs had more freedom to do whatever they wished, it’d be outside the top 10. Sometimes too much freedom isn’t as good for creativity. (See, World 2 SAB)

More Freedom is always good, and leads to more creativity. The question is…. is more creativity always good for their bottom line?

Imagine if Picasso had less freedom? He would have had less creativity. But artistic critical success may not go hand in hand with creativity. Sometimes what critics do not understand they do not like. And applying that to Gw2. Sometimes if a game has too much creativity… it gets panned. And players flock away in droves.

Too much freedom leads to more creativity, not less. But that might lead to less financial success, or more. There is no direct correlation between Artisttic creativity, and financial success.

I think you are confusing creativity with commercial success. One doesn’t always automatically lead to the other.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

More Freedom is always good, and leads to more creativity. The question is…. is more creativity always good for their bottom line?

No. More freedom is not always good, and limitations are what breed creative answers, especially with games. You figure out a creative solution when you can’t just get around the problem by changing the rules.

Case in point

I’ve had a look at what this person and his team came up with when they ignored rules. It was not good for that particular game, and turned a lot of players away. Something he admitted several times, in fact, concerning sets players considered awesome because they allowed degenerate play rather than smart play.

I’d like to point out this is a game where the rules haven’t been completely altered since its creation, and has been tweaked in minor ways about three times only. Cards from the beginning are still able to be used with cards twenty-one years later (mechanically speaking, and with maybe 1% of an exception), and it’s still very much alive and well after those twenty-one years. This is why I pick up this example often when it comes to talking about how creativity isn’t a simple function of “give them more freedom”. (Then you get the Combo Winter.)

Now, I’m done being almost completely off topic with this I hope I’ve illustrated my argument well enough.

Nerelith.7360

No. More freedom is not always good, and limitations are what breed creative answers, especially with games. You figure out a creative solution when you can’t just get around the problem by changing the rules.

Case in point

I’ve had a look at what this person and his team came up with when they ignored rules. It was not good for that particular game, and turned a lot of players away. Something he admitted several times, in fact, concerning sets players considered awesome because they allowed degenerate play rather than smart play.

I’d like to point out this is a game where the rules haven’t been completely altered since its creation, and has been tweaked in minor ways about three times only. Cards from the beginning are still able to be used with cards twenty-one years later (mechanically speaking, and with maybe 1% of an exception), and it’s still very much alive and well after those twenty-one years. This is why I pick up this example often when it comes to talking about how creativity isn’t a simple function of “give them more freedom”. (Then you get the Combo Winter.)

Now, I’m done being almost completely off topic with this I hope I’ve illustrated my argument well enough.

I think we are having a disconnect about what is good about freedom , and creativity. I will Just agree to disagree on the issue of freedom, and creativity, since it is derailing the thread.

Posted by: gooberkid.6029

gooberkid.6029

Yes, there are more than enough people playing Gw 2 for you all to log in and enjoy your 60-man ZERG content against so-called “world bosses”! LOL. Have fun!
Thankfully, Heroic/Mystic raids in WoW and other games still require skill and cohesion amongst the Trinity to complete….but hey, those of you that loooooove “dodge the red circle!” as your lone mechanic, have at it! Still cannot believe the number of you that seem to think Gw 2 requires any sort of skill…..this game is an absolute joke.

“What is it men cannot be made to believe!” – Thomas Jefferson, 1786

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Why did you dig up a year old thread to attack…the entire community?

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

Why did you dig up a year old thread to attack…the entire community?

Anet broke his/her heart, obviously. Hehe.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Thread Necromancy skill activated. Cooldown 1 year.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: KhanKatir.4038

KhanKatir.4038

Thread Necromancy: It’s an elite specialization now.

Btw, Guild wars 2 has dropped to 9th since then (dropped 2 last month, actually).

Ahaha, the irony!

Speaking of irony, do any of you posters from a year ago still play the game?

Show your pride and sound off!

http://www.newzoo.com/free/rankings/top-20-core-pc-games/

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I can’t believe I read all 3 pages before realizing it was a necro….

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

And i first wondered how the hell Wildstar should suddenly earn more than GW2
since i landed here when clicking on the thread :

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Oh-it-s-sooo-dead-7th-place-ain-t-so-bad/4294198

Attachments:

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I play a lot of games that have been pronounced “dead”. EQ2, AoC, GW, SWToR for example. I still enjoy them.

Not dead, but with apparent decreased numbers, and for EQ2, AoC in particular, massive server consolidations over time.

Numbers are down here. We have had the server merges. I just go by what I see.. which is boss events like Claw of Jormag uncompleted in spite of megamerge, and it is a common thing. A telling thing, since the world boss train is “the” thing to do.

Numbers impact what you can do. Rotating 14 chars through Frostgorge and failing to find a map that is even trying Claw is telling (and not rare). Sure, there were full maps someplace, but the fact is that megamerge isn’t making up for the falling population as it was intended to.

I don’t really care. I’ve been enjoying the low pop maps.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.