Older Players

Older Players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dorian Ordenda.1398

Dorian Ordenda.1398

Hi Everyone! Just wondering how many players fall under the “older” category.
I’ve always felt that GW had a very diverse population, but would like to hear from
others who are also “seasoned”. Personally, I’m over 50 (don’t have to give exact age
if you don’t want to) and have a grandson who also plays. It’s a great retirement pastime and keeps you sharp! I’ve played since GW came out in 2005 and probably
will keep right on playing! I love the game and I, for one, have no complaints. I think Anet is doing a great job providing us with a wonderful game! Let’s hear from all you olders out there who are young at heart gamers!

Older Players

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

There’s a couple of mid 30’ers in my guild, including myself. One of our older members is in his late 40’s, ooh and the troubles he gets in with his wife ha!

Older Players

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

There’s a familiar saying on Piken Square that will fit this topic:

I’m 32.

(It’s an inside joke thing between many of us on that server, but I still am until 02 June!)

I do know of people in their 60s and 70s that have been playing too. Sometimes you get things like “How is it someone’s over 30 playing more often than me who is a teenager” and teenagers saying “You’re too old to play video games” just say to them “So, when you’re 29 you’ll just all of a sudden stop playing will you?” and most of them won’t!

Guild Wars 2 is a 12+ Game, not a 12-29 game.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Older Players

Posted by: AcidLex.4879

AcidLex.4879

Just so you don’t feel alone…
I am an “old” player myself – over 50 ;-0

Older Players

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

I’m 60 and proud to be a gaming gramma! Have been playing video games since the days of Pong, but GW2 was my first MMORPG and I’m also playing FF xiv. My dd and son-in-law introduced me to GW2, and I’m happy they did. So, yes there are some oldies but goodies out there in Tyria. For my 61st birthday in a couple of months, I’m having my daughters, their husbands, and my little 16month old grandson get in costume and go with me to FantasyCon. Game on!

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

(edited by dkspins.4670)

Older Players

Posted by: hholls.3278

hholls.3278

I’m 48 and have a wonderful time playing with my 14 year old son. We almost exclusively WvW, I am distinctly average and get saved numerous times by his youthful quick reactions…the downside is just like rl I’m forever having to supply money to him!

Older Players

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

This pirate is looking at 50, and keeps on sailing. Remember…

Old age and devious will beat youth and enthusiasm every single time.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Older Players

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If it is any consolation, I was playing Pong as a seasoned adult. I’m sure you can do the math. Lol.

Older Players

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I chatted with a player on Dragonbrand who said she was 74. I have no reason to doubt her and think its very cool that we have such an inclusive community!

Older Players

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Just a hair over 40. Been playing MMORPG’s for over 10 years now. Most of my time spent in EQ2.

i will be 50 next month and EQ2 was also the MMO i played for the longest time till now

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Older Players

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I’ll be 43 at the end of the month.
I have been very happy here since beta but like Oogabooga.9138, I have been looking at other games since the last patch made me feel very alienated.

GW2 is a beautiful game and I love love the combat- up until April 15 it was the best game in the world for me- haven’t really touched even single player games much in 2 years

Gunnar’s Hold

Older Players

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I started playing with GW1 and moved on from there to EQ2. I’ve played many others including Anarchy Online and LOTRO. I played at first because my youngest son wanted me to. I play now because I enjoy it and he and I still often play games together. Guess I’ll get more gaming time in a few years from now when I retire.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Older Players

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I’ll be 30 in May 29th, but in my guild there are a few players over 40.
In Guild Wars I find that the average age is way higher than any other MMO I ever played, or maybe is my guild … but still I’m almost 30 and I don’t feel old at all there.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Older Players

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

Well 50% of our Guild are over 30 years old. 20% are ~50 years old.

Take a look at this comment from about 6 months ago. It was purely precious.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guild-Wars-2-Geared-for-Older-Audience/page/2#post3080318

Older Players

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

My first video game was Pong. Can’t say I was any good though since I was pretty young but it did get me hooked.
I just wish I had more time to play as a 40+ player. Work, kids and now a grandkid makes for a busy life.
Been here since beta but I am feeling increasingly alienated. It has changed and now we have what feels like an activity director in charge of the fun & rewards. I’m just a tad too independent for that.

It’s still one of my favorites and nothing else has grabbed my attention since. But I have been looking.
I still love the fact we don’t compete for resource nodes/loot, we are rewarded for cooperation, the artwork, customization, and the combat.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Older Players

Posted by: Mike.6285

Mike.6285

Nice to see I’m not the only over the hill player ( 50 + ). Been playing GW since the beta’s in 2005. Switched over to GW2 in time for the beta. Still having fun adventuring.

1st RPG I ever played was Phantasy Star on the old Sega Master System. I remember having to map out the dungeons on graph paper. Been hooked on these games ever since.

Inculpatus, I remember when they installed the Pong table at the local watering hole

Older Players

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

If it is any consolation, I was playing Pong as a seasoned adult. I’m sure you can do the math. Lol.

My first ever hack and probably best big brother troll was to change the paddle width on the Apple II+ version of Pong. I let the game run over night and got the all-time family high score.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Older Players

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

You all make me feel young.

Older Players

Posted by: Amalia.2879

Amalia.2879

Mid thirties here, not the 50+, but in the gaming world it is ‘older’. Still find it difficult to locate a guild that is mainly older folks that have jobs, families, and lives outside of game.

Shenku Clan – Arcanum, Brenin, & Pogue

Older Players

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

There are a couple of folks in my guild who are in their mid-30s and above. And I’m turning 30 this summer.

Older Players

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

The guild I belong to is a mature only guild. Have to be age 30+ to join. We have a little over 80 members, I am actually one of the youngest ones at 34. Most members are 40+.

Hjorje

Older Players

Posted by: medvampire.9827

medvampire.9827

I am 46. We have a person in our guild that is 62. We have a few under 40. We are a small clan with older folks. Check us out at www.get-glitched.com if you like hanging with the older folks.

Older Players

Posted by: Gbok.1039

Gbok.1039

I just turned 39 and have two other friends that play that are 40 and 43.

Fort AspenwoodSoul Exodus[Soul] Finxx – 80 Ranger

Older Players

Posted by: Foosnark.1784

Foosnark.1784

My current age is the Ultimate Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything.

A fellow gamer once told me “wow, you’re old” when I was 30. Heh.

Older Players

Posted by: Kazoo Cherry.7921

Kazoo Cherry.7921

35 here, My first MMO was the original EQ which I played entirely too much. I would be interested to hear if there are any guilds on Blackgate that are specifically older people. If so send me a tell.

Older Players

Posted by: Derez.6510

Derez.6510

45 here… I have been mulit-player gaming sense ID games added MP to DOOM II.

I will always play. They will bury me with a mouse and keyboard.

Older Players

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Over 50 as well. First MMO was UO beta. Second was City of Heroes until NCSOFT killed it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Older Players

Posted by: cyclenurse.7561

cyclenurse.7561

I am “plenty nine”. A woman never gives her real age! I belong to a great guild for mature players +30. We somehow started chatting during beta and we formed “The Grey” on Piken Square – due to the color of our hair (for those that still have hair!)

Older Players

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

41, spouse is 38, two teenagers who also have accounts. On Wednesday nights, we often play with my in-laws, including my husband’s 65-year-old father.

Whenever anyone makes a crack about my age I ask them what hobbies THEIR mom has. None of them have ever answered that.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Older Players

Posted by: Baron Von Graymouse.7801

Baron Von Graymouse.7801

This pirate is looking at 50, and keeps on sailing. Remember…

Old age and devious will beat youth and enthusiasm every single time.

I see what you did there! Great Song!

I am a Pirate Looking at 40!

Older Players

Posted by: Tinny.3782

Tinny.3782

57 here, played since beta. Warhammer Online previously and numerous others befor e that. Always had an interest in playing games in arcades etc. and can remember playing bingo pinball machines in the local 24 hr cafe in the early seventies. I also play guitar in a soft rock covers band doing pubs and clubs in the area. To me, age is just a number and i intend to carry on with both these things as long as possible.

Older Players

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Hi Everyone! Just wondering how many players fall under the “older” category.
I’ve always felt that GW had a very diverse population, but would like to hear from
others who are also “seasoned”. Personally, I’m over 50 (don’t have to give exact age
if you don’t want to) and have a grandson who also plays. It’s a great retirement pastime and keeps you sharp! I’ve played since GW came out in 2005 and probably
will keep right on playing! I love the game and I, for one, have no complaints. I think Anet is doing a great job providing us with a wonderful game! Let’s hear from all you olders out there who are young at heart gamers!

I’m only in my 30s here, but I certainly aim to still be gaming when I retire. I’m really surprised that we don’t have more older gamers since video games are such a great way to stay mentally active even when physical activity can be limited.

Older Players

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I know a handful of vet players on gunnars hold, 40-50-60 yo and im 32 myself.

Age is just a number, old people can be immature and younger people very mature.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Older Players

Morrigan.2809

I know a handful of vet players on gunnars hold, 40-50-60 yo and im 32 myself.

Age is just a number, old people can be immature and younger people very mature.

yes Gunnar’s Hold had a good number of older players- back in beta several guilds for older players decided to roll there.
I am convinced that was what made Gunnar’s such a great community- so chill and relaxed

Gunnar’s Hold

Older Players

Posted by: Dorian Ordenda.1398

Dorian Ordenda.1398

Great to see so many of us oldies but goodies on game! I’m always proud to say I’m also a gaming grammy. Some grandmothers bake cookies with their grandkids but I game with mine! An old adage states: I’m old enough to know better, young enough
not to care! Couldn’t agree more! Happy gaming everyone!

Older Players

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

I am mid 50’s. There is one person older than myself in our Guild.

Older Players

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m 51…..my wife says I’m too old for video games (and I tell her to get offa my lawn!).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Older Players

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Oldest in our guild is 65, youngest is 9 (plays with his dad essentially). Average age seems to be around 30. The 65 yr old is pretty much our most active member. Retirement and all lol.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Older Players

Posted by: Natomi.9427

Natomi.9427

40, but with a 4 year old. Can’t count the number of times I’ve been mid fight and had to go and sort out tears after bedtime. Makes dungeons impossible! ‘Would you mind just waiting 5 minutes whilst I go and put my kid back to sleep’ does not make for friendly chat sigh.

Older Players

Posted by: MotherKitten.6795

MotherKitten.6795

I’m over 40. I’ve found that you just naturally gravitate to being with players your own age. Even b4 you voice chat with them or do anything that would give age away you just sort of end up with the other oldies.

BTW as I get older my fine motor skills are getting worse making jumping puzzles harder and harder. I feel like paying a neighborhood 12yo to come over and do them for me.

The Goderators have ruined this forum for me.

Older Players

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

38 over here. Been Playing since the C64 homecomputer came out in the 80’s and never stopped playing :-)

(edited by Bolbo Baggins.8594)

Older Players

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

I’m 41 and have been playing since GW1, my first MMO and I haven’t look back. I’m just a casual gamer, the only time I get to play is when the kids are a sleep…that’s why I love GW, there’s no pressure, just play at your leisure.

Older Players

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I am over 50 and have played many games, all computer games, although I did have the original pong console!!

Older Players

Posted by: hmsgoddess.3869

hmsgoddess.3869

Im in my 40’s and my current guild is 90% over 30 or around 30. We play to have fun and have a great time playing as adults. www.nakedndrunk.com

~ Emma Vine Sixty Nine Shades Of [NUDE] – Crystal Desert

Older Players

Posted by: hholls.3278

hholls.3278

I’m over 40. I’ve found that you just naturally gravitate to being with players your own age. Even b4 you voice chat with them or do anything that would give age away you just sort of end up with the other oldies.

BTW as I get older my fine motor skills are getting worse making jumping puzzles harder and harder. I feel like paying a neighborhood 12yo to come over and do them for me.

I’m so glad it isn’t just me flailing about in the jumping puzzles…… I call in my son who finds it hilarious that I’m so useless!!

Btw this whole thread is just a joy to me ….I’m not alone…..there are other parents who have to stop mid game to deal with family issues… normally separate fighting kids in my case!

Older Players

Morrigan.2809

40, but with a 4 year old. Can’t count the number of times I’ve been mid fight and had to go and sort out tears after bedtime. Makes dungeons impossible! ‘Would you mind just waiting 5 minutes whilst I go and put my kid back to sleep’ does not make for friendly chat sigh.

43, I have a 7 year old and I feel your pain- we are raising her as a gamer so in a couple of years we are golden

Gunnar’s Hold

Older Players

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

Used to have a player who was nearly 70 in my guild a while ago.

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

Older Players

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I’m so glad it isn’t just me flailing about in the jumping puzzles…… I call in my son who finds it hilarious that I’m so useless!!

Btw this whole thread is just a joy to me ….I’m not alone…..there are other parents who have to stop mid game to deal with family issues… normally separate fighting kids in my case!

My wife and I are dealing with her mother who is in poor health and has memory loss. It is hard sometimes to even play when I have to be a care giver.

Older Players

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m 48. I think I’m the oldest in my guild but there are several close to me. I remember the Christmas where we got Pong as a present

I’m just glad there weren’t MMO’s when I was in college in the 80’s. I’d never have done any schoolwork. As it was I spent time on USENET doing local emails, played a maze fps on the brand new Macintosh 128’s (they had a whole 128 K hard drive!), and did tabletop gaming. My campus had one of the longest running campaign wargames (it might still be going, seriously, it went for decades) but I never got into that, phew. It was on a table with markers and the room walls were covered with sheets of paper filled with game rules and turn info.

I’ve played MMOs since DaoC and they’ve supplanted stand alone games for me. I like being with other people.

Older Players

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

Jumping puzzles are pain. Mesmers with porting skills for the win. We have. A one hanged player. So we use mesmer portals to get him through them. Works everytime. Something to think about.