On Mounts & Housing.

On Mounts & Housing.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: balrog.1307

balrog.1307

Hello,

After being away for quite some time, i’ve decided to return to the wonderful world of Tyria. Alot of content was added & many changes implemented, but one thing that still bothers me – is there any chance of ever having mounts or some sort of player housing in GW2?Have there been any dev hints about it?What are the argumentes for\against it?

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

No mounts, no player housing..
Welcome back!

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Mounts are still one of those topics that you’re better off not bringing up at all. The thing is, I’ve seen an interview with Colin that basically said that if they were to put in mounts, they would not be speedboosts, but something different. The current situation is that the standard argument pro-mount is “It’s cool. I want it. Why not?”, whereas the opposite tends to point towards lack of mounts in the lore, unnecessity due to technological advancement and the fact that speedboosts are part of cross-profession balancing.

On Mounts & Housing.

balrog.1307

“It’s good to be back” ©

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’ll sum up the constant, constant arguments:

- Housing -
Some do for the sake of privacy and community, and to put the “guild” back in Guild Wars 2.
Some don’t because it’s “pointless” and “vain” and isn’t “content”.

- Mounts -
Them: NO NO NO NO
Other Them: But they’d be coooool~
Them: NONONONO
Other Them: But gold sinks and style and
Them: CLUTTER NONONONOOO

…but to do it more justice, actually:

Nay:
It’s a vanity resource, waypoints are superior to mounts in most cases, and it may pull resources away from building content. Some feel it is inappropriate to lore and theme (the “not WoW” argument) as they may be ridiculous or be used to bother players and block NPCs. Also, status quo also runs in this direction, so we might not see them in development.
If mounts come with speed, all the classes would have to be redesigned, and ANet will have to decide how to distribute for balance and power (gems only, WvW yes/no, etc).

Yea:
Mounts are cool, handy to get around sprawling maps with locked waypoints, and can generate both revenue and gold sinks into the game.

Lots of good Nay reasons, not so many Yea reasons, and the Yea doesn’t really tackle the humongous effort it would take to introduce them properly.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I think the best arguments against mounts are:

1. It’s not needed (travel is well incorporated)
2. It doesn’t fit the story (all the sudden, people can ride a horse? I’d love to hear what nonsense story would explain this)
3. It’s cost/benefit is questionable. Time to make and implement vs … what it does

On Mounts & Housing.

balrog.1307

Thanks, Olba! I for one would really love to see mounts being implemented some day, because more content imo is always better.

On Mounts & Housing.

balrog.1307

Rauderi & Obtena – thank you both, as i see not much has really changed in the terms of argumentation on both topics , so i guess i’ll go for the new LS content & new fractals

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Why are people obsessed with mounts? If they want them so bad, let’s hope ANet adds them with a few twist:
- 2000 gems per mount,
- Movement speed decreased by 25%,
- Once locked by an enemy, the mount runs away and the player has to by a new one
- Mounts need food daily, thrice a day, each time costing 125 gems.

This way, we won’t see these things around much, and those who want them will spend their time riding in Lion’s Arch.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

I finally get to use this

Attachments:

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Rukh.9287

Rukh.9287

I’ve said it before, but they should do mounts like bundles. I.e. you can climb on one at a barn or stable, and ride it around, and when you then get off to do things, it either stays there or wanders off, but you can’t just resummon it out of your nether regions.

If there are player owned mounts, they would be available at stables at certain locations, like cities and forts.

The other good utility of doing mounts this way is they can replace the action bar while you’re on them. You could have some mounted combat abilities, woo! Hey you can pick up bundles that are guns, big swords etc, it wouldn’t be overpowered because you’re not using them in PvP.

On Mounts & Housing.

Rukh.9287

Why are people obsessed with mounts? If they want them so bad, let’s hope ANet adds them with a few twist:
- 2000 gems per mount,
- Once locked by an enemy, the mount runs away and the player has to by a new one

This way, we won’t see these things around much, and those who want them will spend their time riding in Lion’s Arch.

ROFL the kitten spite going on here.

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Arctinus.7824

Arctinus.7824

The only way I see mounts being implemented is that a Charr opens up a small ranch with moas and charges players if they want to ride moas. Like rent-a-moa or something. And a Norn opens up a similar ranch with rent-a-dolyak. xD

(Also it’d be nice if there was a race, similar to the Dolyak race we had, but the players would be riding moas and racing to the finish line.)

Overall, though, I see no reason for mounts so far.

On Mounts & Housing.

balrog.1307

- 2000 gems per mount,

Ah, now i really feel that i’m back. Good old forum sarcasm

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

No.
Nein.
Non.
Não.
Nej.

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Only way you get mounts, is Transformations that replaces your character model and are limited to specific areas, like the mechanic devourers in EotM.

Same is to be said about Siege Devourers and Junundu in GW1. They replace your character model and you take the form of the mountable creature, and they’re limited to specific areas.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

On Mounts & Housing.

Rukh.9287

Its funny how narrow minded people are. If they were to add mounts, they could do whatever they want. They’re not limited by how they did things previously.

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Its funny how narrow minded people are. If they were to add mounts, they could do whatever they want. They’re not limited by how they did things previously.

But so far, something similar to mounts in GW1, only exist in EotM, the mechanical Devourer, which is a transformation.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I am one of the anti-mount people. Too many games have mounts and they cause problems for people who don’t like mounts, such as dragging aggroed mobs to them, etc.

If they add mounts, I want the all the mobs to have a skill like Ethereal Burden to slow the mounts to 50% of walking speed. I also want the mounts to be able to be killed and then you have to wait a certain time before your mount can be used again. This will make mounts not very useful, I know, but it will make mount users THINK before using, which they don’t in most games. Mounts are the most unimmersive part of any game.

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Mods should have an automerge/auto delete function to get rid ANY post that asks for mounts and/or housing. Come on OP there are a ton of threads covering this—-no need to make any NEW posts regarding mounts/housing. (and I bet you know it! So another name comes to mind).

On Mounts & Housing.

Rauderi.8706

Mods should have an automerge/auto delete function to get rid ANY post that asks for mounts and/or housing. Come on OP there are a ton of threads covering this—-no need to make any NEW posts regarding mounts/housing. (and I bet you know it! So another name comes to mind).

Devs should add a proper search function to the forums so people can search for mount and guild hall threads. …The ones that haven’t been closed for toxic players being uncivil or necro’d from the deep dark, anyway.

Not to mention, some Google Analytics could make collecting feedback much easier. Buuut that’s a little off topic for this thread.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

Housing could be very good and draw in more players that like that play style as well
as long as it is good like everquest 2 style would be amazing

Can draw in ppl who love to decorate can add tuns of new crafting can add new rare recipe drops -tp able tho- can even add in supper rare house deeds from boss drops
can charge rent silver + karma sink, gold-karma for better houses Travel portals and i can add about 100 other awesome things

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Housing could be very good and draw in more players that like that play style as well
as long as it is good like everquest 2 style would be amazing

Can draw in ppl who love to decorate can add tuns of new crafting can add new rare recipe drops -tp able tho- can even add in supper rare house deeds from boss drops
can charge rent silver + karma sink, gold-karma for better houses Travel portals and i can add about 100 other awesome things

Housing is just another gold sink that people will complain about. Also, I don’t get the house thing at all.

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I am one of the anti-mount people. Too many games have mounts and they cause problems for people who don’t like mounts, such as dragging aggroed mobs to them, etc.

If they add mounts, I want the all the mobs to have a skill like Ethereal Burden to slow the mounts to 50% of walking speed. I also want the mounts to be able to be killed and then you have to wait a certain time before your mount can be used again. This will make mounts not very useful, I know, but it will make mount users THINK before using, which they don’t in most games. Mounts are the most unimmersive part of any game.

I beg to differ.

Btw, welcome back balrog, that’s a famous name from Lotro!

I’ve watched this debate silently like forever and feel like it’s about time i say something.

I beg to differ Dusty Moon, because if implemented correctly, mounts can be awesome and add so much atmosphere to the game. Go and play Lotro and see how amazing a proper implementation of mounts can be. I cannot imagine that game without them, and collecting them is a huge business.

However, the reason i love Lotro’s mount system is coz it’s simple, they only have horses…..and goats which were added to travel through Moria as you cannot ride horses in Moria. I definitely wouldn’t like to see a whole menagerie of mounts, like in some other games and no, moas wouldn’t make good mounts, or flying ones etc. Horses on the other hand, or dolyaks, bring them on i say.

In Lotro, they’re also super awesome War Steeds used for mounted combat, but that’s another story. Another thing I like about Lotro’s system is the simplicity of use. Each mount has it’s on skill and works as a utility summon skill. The mounts server only to get u from A to B, they can be attacked and killed in which case you get dismounted and cannot re-summon until you’re out of combat.

This could work fine in gw2 with some exceptions. Because Lotro is a true open world, ie: you can ride your steed into town etc, but it still poses no problem, because Lotro has put their banks, Auction houses, crafting stations and other essential services within instanced buildings, into which ofc you cannot ride your mount.

Since gw2 has instanced towns, you would not be able to ride your mounts within cities, simple as that. But having said that, you shouldn’t get dismounted when going through portals between maps either, that would be just as annoying as the minis issue.

Another thing that is really nice in Lotro, they also have rent-a-horse stables in each city. These rented horses are much faster than your own and are immune to enemy attacks. You can rent a swift travel which costs more but instantly transports you to your destination, or you can rent a normal travel and enjoy the countryside as you travel across the map. The steed will automatically ride to your destination and dismount you when you arrive. How awesome is that? And really, what is wrong with that? I know we have wp’s but so what? people can have choices. If you don’t want mounts then don’t use them, you have alternative travel and everyone is happy.

That’s the crux of my feelings on the matter.

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Sure, why not.
But

1) you have to buy or capture it.

2) feed and water daily. You can either gather these yourself or buy from the trading post. If you miss 1 day the mount becomes weak and you don’t have a speed buff. 2 days and you can’t ride it for another 2 days while it recovers. 3 days and when you log on it’s dead and you have to buy another.

3) shelter. When not used it need to be in a pen with a building. If you don’t shelter it, it’s weak. Shelter has a weekly fee.

4) vet care. At least once a month you need to pay a veterinarian NPC. He will also charge various random fees for vaccinations, deworming, foot care and illnesses. If you don’t use the vet NPC, your pet will become weak.

5) gear. You will need to buy gear. Saddle, bridle, shoes, etc. Gear wears out after a set number of hours and will need to be rebought.

6) after a period of time, your mount will get old, weak and then sick. You will then need to pay for the vet NPC to put it down.

If you really want mounts, you should be prepared to care for them.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

The cool thing about TESO WvW is that you ride into battle. I’ve never played TESO but that’s pretty awesome. (I don’t have computer specs to run TESO).

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

These mount threads are spreading like ebola.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: AlexEBT.7240

AlexEBT.7240

I finally get to use this
*beaten horse. gif

Yes but the important thing: can you ride?

On Mounts & Housing.

Rauderi.8706

Sure, why not.
But

1) you have to buy or capture it.

2) feed and water daily. You can either gather these yourself or buy from the trading post. If you miss 1 day the mount becomes weak and you don’t have a speed buff. 2 days and you can’t ride it for another 2 days while it recovers. 3 days and when you log on it’s dead and you have to buy another.

3) shelter. When not used it need to be in a pen with a building. If you don’t shelter it, it’s weak. Shelter has a weekly fee.

4) vet care. At least once a month you need to pay a veterinarian NPC. He will also charge various random fees for vaccinations, deworming, foot care and illnesses. If you don’t use the vet NPC, your pet will become weak.

5) gear. You will need to buy gear. Saddle, bridle, shoes, etc. Gear wears out after a set number of hours and will need to be rebought.

6) after a period of time, your mount will get old, weak and then sick. You will then need to pay for the vet NPC to put it down.

If you really want mounts, you should be prepared to care for them.

While some of the above is obviously bitter…

The rest is kinda fantastic!

There could be a mount capture quest in every zone to get players out on maps.
Shelter fees for a gold sink. (Health care included.)
A separate gold sink (with gem store permanent) item to give a short speed buff and summon the mount.

Or something like that. Also thoughts about a vendor/stable near the most used waypoints (zone transition spots and nearest-uncontested for common events) to pick them up and use them in that zone. Those stables aren’t present in cities, because no one wants dolyak kitten on the street.

Many alts; handle it!

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Mounts: No but we did get kites which give a small speed boost, and a large one in sand storms. So kind of like mounts? This might be or could be a solution for some. It doesn’t seem to hold the same weight as a mount does on your screen, but kind of cool none the less.

Housing: I have been waiting and continue to wait for it or even guild housing. Something tells me this just isn’t high on the list of things to work on. It’s a shame because every time I play a new MMO which has housing I find myself saying “I wish GW2 had housing”

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

I beg to differ.

I’ve watched this debate silently like forever and feel like it’s about time i say something.

I beg to differ Dusty Moon, because if implemented correctly, mounts can be awesome and add so much atmosphere to the game. Go and play Lotro and see how amazing a proper implementation of mounts can be. I cannot imagine that game without them, and collecting them is a huge business.

However, the reason i love Lotro’s mount system is coz it’s simple, they only have horses…..and goats which were added to travel through Moria as you cannot ride horses in Moria. I definitely wouldn’t like to see a whole menagerie of mounts, like in some other games and no, moas wouldn’t make good mounts, or flying ones etc. Horses on the other hand, or dolyaks, bring them on i say.

In Lotro, they’re also super awesome War Steeds used for mounted combat, but that’s another story. Another thing I like about Lotro’s system is the simplicity of use. Each mount has it’s on skill and works as a utility summon skill. The mounts server only to get u from A to B, they can be attacked and killed in which case you get dismounted and cannot re-summon until you’re out of combat.

This could work fine in gw2 with some exceptions. Because Lotro is a true open world, ie: you can ride your steed into town etc, but it still poses no problem, because Lotro has put their banks, Auction houses, crafting stations and other essential services within instanced buildings, into which ofc you cannot ride your mount.

Since gw2 has instanced towns, you would not be able to ride your mounts within cities, simple as that. But having said that, you shouldn’t get dismounted when going through portals between maps either, that would be just as annoying as the minis issue.

Another thing that is really nice in Lotro, they also have rent-a-horse stables in each city. These rented horses are much faster than your own and are immune to enemy attacks. You can rent a swift travel which costs more but instantly transports you to your destination, or you can rent a normal travel and enjoy the countryside as you travel across the map. The steed will automatically ride to your destination and dismount you when you arrive. How awesome is that? And really, what is wrong with that? I know we have wp’s but so what? people can have choices. If you don’t want mounts then don’t use them, you have alternative travel and everyone is happy.

If you have been watching then you know my position.

This is

1. it would be cool.

You need compelling arguments for why mounts would be beneficial or necessary, that do not amount to :

1. it would be cool
2. I want it.
3. Why not?

I see that so far this mount thread lacks any compelling reasons for mounts.

What I believe will happen is..those wanting mounts will try to Put those NOT, on the defensive demanding reasons why we should not have mounts, and many of those that do not want mounts will forget…that since we that do not want them, are not asking Anet to change the game, we do not need any compelling arguments against mounts.

The only argument we need is." No mounts, we are fine with the status-quo."

Those that want mounts need to make compelling arguments for why they are either beneficial, or necessary, and why they are worth the time, energy, and resources that Anet would have to put into implementing mounts, and show that any benefits derived thus, are not already available with what is already implemented.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I’ll sum up the constant, constant arguments:

- Housing -
Some do for the sake of privacy and community, and to put the “guild” back in Guild Wars 2.
Some don’t because it’s “pointless” and “vain” and isn’t “content”.

- Mounts -
Them: NO NO NO NO
Other Them: But they’d be coooool~
Them: NONONONO
Other Them: But gold sinks and style and
Them: CLUTTER NONONONOOO

…but to do it more justice, actually:

Nay:
It’s a vanity resource, waypoints are superior to mounts in most cases, and it may pull resources away from building content. Some feel it is inappropriate to lore and theme (the “not WoW” argument) as they may be ridiculous or be used to bother players and block NPCs. Also, status quo also runs in this direction, so we might not see them in development.
If mounts come with speed, all the classes would have to be redesigned, and ANet will have to decide how to distribute for balance and power (gems only, WvW yes/no, etc).

Yea:
Mounts are cool, handy to get around sprawling maps with locked waypoints, and can generate both revenue and gold sinks into the game.

Lots of good Nay reasons, not so many Yea reasons, and the Yea doesn’t really tackle the humongous effort it would take to introduce them properly.

• Weapon and armor, mini pets, finishers, tonics is pretty much, “It looks cool.” Gem store and the endgame is all about, “It looks cool.”
  • Press F to talk to npc. A cluster of Charr and Norn blocks NPC, but I had almost no problem talking to those npc.
  • If Mounts come with speed, then only the Mount speed needs to be balanced. It could be 0% to 25%, or if ANet wants it, 153285%. Redesigning the entire professions makes no sense.
5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

On Mounts & Housing.

runeblade.7514

I beg to differ.

If you have been watching then you know my position.

This is

1. it would be cool.

You need compelling arguments for why mounts would be beneficial or necessary, that do not amount to :

1. it would be cool
2. I want it.
3. Why not?

I see that so far this mount thread lacks any compelling reasons for mounts.

What I believe will happen is..those wanting mounts will try to Put those NOT, on the defensive demanding reasons why we should not have mounts, and many of those that do not want mounts will forget…that since we that do not want them, are not asking Anet to change the game, we do not need any compelling arguments against mounts.

The only argument we need is." No mounts, we are fine with the status-quo."

Those that want mounts need to make compelling arguments for why they are either beneficial, or necessary, and why they are worth the time, energy, and resources that Anet would have to put into implementing mounts, and show that any benefits derived thus, are not already available with what is already implemented.

“It looks cool” is a compelling reason because this game is about “It looks cool.”

• Asking for a Belinda Katana only has one reason: “It looks cool.”
  • Asking for this armor only has one reason: “It looks cool.”
  • People spend tons of money on gemstore weapons and armor not because it gives any stats bonus but “It looks cool.”

If “It looks cool” argument doesn’t generate any revenue, then ANet wouldn’t continue with the Gem stores.

On Mounts & Housing.

runeblade.7514

No.
Nein.
Non.
Não.
Nej.

This is what all anti-mount argument sums up to.

There is no compelling reason to not add them.

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

I have an amusing idea for WvW and mounts. Moa Lancers. Basically a group of people in the zerg ride moas and carry lances instead of walking with their normal weapons. The moa lancers cavalry tactics, which would add more depth to WvW zerg combat. On top of that, they could create a trap that would stun in dismount riders in an AoE radius. On the grounds of speed boosts, I would say no more than a +25%, but maybe have a skill that temporarily increases their speed to 50% for quickly flanking the enemy zerg. As for obtaining them, I would say have a stock of moas in a stable at spawn, but only allow a certain number of those moas to be used at one time, so that the zerg isn’t all riding moas. One that could be summoned indefinitely on demand could be available as maybe a Black Lion Chest drop or a gem store item (I think they’re against adding gameplay enhancers to the gemstore, though). They could also be sold for 100g like a commander tag. They could go much deeper into this, but I think the idea is rather far-fetched anyways.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

How many of you who want mounts actually spend more than….5 minutes running somewhere from a waypoint? Mounts are in WoW and ESO because they are sub games, and they are designed to SLOW you down, because the longer it takes for you to do stuff, the more subscriptions you have to pay. Anet doesn’t have to slow you down, but they also don’t take the Korean FTP MMO model of charging you a license to teleport around. In my old game, you had to buy a license to fast travel, or you walked everywhere, and they made it as tedious as possible to walk everywhere. They also sold gamble boxes to get a mount at 10 dollars a pop. A friend of mine bought 50 boxes, and didn’t get one. He was a whale, so the developers gave him a mount. And they did this EVERY six weeks. And the mounts would have a minor stat boost. We don’t need or want this kind of crap in the game. If anet gave us mounts, you guys would complain that they don’t do anything except look cool. And if they did do something, it’s suddenly pay to win. No mounts. Waypoints forever.

On Mounts & Housing.

Nerelith.7360

No.
Nein.
Non.
Não.
Nej.

This is what all anti-mount argument sums up to.

We do not need compelling reasons to not add them. We want the status-quo. Therefore we need not a single solitary argument for the game to continue as it is.

First. If “it looks cool” were a compelling argument for Anet to provide mounts, we would already have mounts. We have no mounts therefore… clearly…" It looks cool" is Not a compelling argument for mounts specifically.

While one can say " the game would be better with cool things in it." that is not a compelling argument for " Mounts is what the game needs."

You need to provide compelling arguments for why mounts specifically are either needed, or beneficial, worth the effot needed to inplement the mounts, and worth taking those resources from other projects.

Second. The nature of this debate is such that…One side wants the game to be changed from what it currently is…" add mounts", and one side wants the game to remain as it is…the status-quo. " no mounts , just as it is now."

This means the burden of providing compelling arguments for change…( adding mounts) is not on those that do not wish mounts…but on those that want mounts.

Since we want the status quo to remain, the Only thing WE need to say is." no mounts."

As the ones that seek change, you need to provide all the compelling arguments.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

On Mounts & Housing.

Nerelith.7360

About the burden of argument.

Imagine that there is a thread " we need less way-points" just as an example.

During the thread we see there are two prevailing groups.

1. Want less way-points
2. want MORE way-points.

Since BOTH of these groups want a change from the status-quo… it is incumbent on BOTH sides to provide compelling arguments for their desired change to the status-quo.

Now… shortly after a third group arises. This group says " The game is fine as it is. The number of way-points are fine. The game doesn’t need to have way-points added or removed. The status-quo is fine with us."

THIS third group doesn’t need to provide a single solitary reason or argument. All they need to say is…" I do not want the game changed, I am content with it as it is."

The other two groups need to compell, since they desire change from what is.

same with mounts. The side that wants mounts, since they want change from the status-quo, need to provide compelling arguments for why the inclusion of mounts is either benefical, or necessary.

The side that wishes the status-quo to remain as it is.." No Mounts" need not make a single solitary argument besides." no mounts."

so i say…

No mounts.

On Mounts & Housing.

Rauderi.8706

We do not need compelling reasons to not add them.

Compelling to whom?

ANet.

The devs are the ones to take action. If ANet wants the players to have “cool”, they give cool. Cool gives them profits.
If they don’t, resources go elsewhere, no-[insert feature here] status quo is maintained.

Who does not need to be compelled?
Players. They are not devs, each one is a solitary opinion.

If the content is provided, players will take it or not. Or, to say again, should the devs decide against the status quo on anything (Traits, anyone?) what’s to be done about it?

1) Cry nonono the entire time. This gives no compromise, and therefore, no solutions.
2) Make recommendations and adapt. Instead of kittening about the premise, find a way it would work for you.
3) Quit. Yup, some people actually quit. Quit the game. Quit the conversation. Quit their old argument and ascend in philosophy.

Many alts; handle it!

On Mounts & Housing.

Nerelith.7360

We do not need compelling reasons to not add them.

Compelling to whom?

ANet.

The devs are the ones to take action. If ANet wants the players to have “cool”, they give cool. Cool gives them profits.
If they don’t, resources go elsewhere, no-[insert feature here] status quo is maintained.

Who does not need to be compelled?
Players. They are not devs, each one is a solitary opinion.

If the content is provided, players will take it or not. Or, to say again, should the devs decide against the status quo on anything (Traits, anyone?) what’s to be done about it?

1) Cry nonono the entire time. This gives no compromise, and therefore, no solutions.

We that do not want mounts do not want any solutions to How to implement mounts. We do not want mounts.

2) Make recommendations and adapt. Instead of kittening about the premise, find a way it would work for you.

We that do not want mounts do not want any way to be found to implement mounts. We do not want mounts.

3) Quit. Yup, some people actually quit. Quit the game. Quit the conversation. Quit their old argument and ascend in philosophy.

If all it takes for someone to quit the game is the lack of a mount…. not sure what to say.

I have always said that we that do not want mounts are not the ones that need to be compelled. Ultimately what we believe is 100 % completely irrelevant.

The only reason i post is because I do not wish Anet to think that I do not care whether we have mounts or not. I care strongly. I do not want them.

But it is Ironic, that those that do want mounts do not realize I am trying to be helpful.

I will explain.

For 2 years those that want mounts basically make a very simple argument.

1. I think they would be cool.
2. I want them.
3. Why not?

And 2 years later, we still have no mounts In the game. What does this tell me? Those areguments are not compelling Anet to provide mounts.

Then we have occasional bouts where the Pro-mount say " well, what are your reasons for excluding them?" and the players that do not want them… will proceed to give their reasons, which the pro-mount side will then deflate… thinking they have won a Point in a debate…but here is the problem. The WEAKEST argument from the anti-mount side, is still going to win, when all the anti-mount side wants is the status-quo.

Let that sink in. As long as the pro-mount side, does Not make a single compelling and credible argument… to Anet, not to us…. Anet will continue to do what they have always done. Not provide mounts

Thank me. Because if you just continue with the meaningless " oh ya? what’s your argument against?" and tearing into those arguments… you will not get mounts. Mainly because you refuse to give any compelling and credible argument for why they are either beneficial, or necessary, and worth the time, energy, and resources needed to implement them.

You can think about it, or continue as you have been… I prefer you not provide compelling arguments, since I am happy without mounts.

The only argument I need is." No, I do not want mounts."

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Mounts.. Eh. I don’t care too much. Technically they’ve already added them, but think whatever yall wish.

Housing I’m for.

I ? Karkas.

On Mounts & Housing.

Rauderi.8706

Achievement Unlocked – Path 1 run 100 times.
I wasn’t even talking about mounts~ I’m tricky that way.

Also, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
[Insert feature here] is not in the game yet, because it has not been developed.

[insert feature here] might very well be an aesthetic or quality of life improvement. It might also be in development right now. [Insert feature here] might very well bring convenience and fun to the players and money to GW2. Fun and money, win-win for a development project.
But, we’re not hearing about it because of NDA, early development stages, or technical issues. Because of that silence, we won’t know if [insert feature here] will be here until it actually happens.

Of course, by the existing anti-[insert feature here], the status quo is sufficient cause to never advance, never change, and always pitch a fit when it’s mentioned. That faction can never be appeased, and will never listen to reason, because confirmation bias runs strong in the face of evidence.

So what does [insert feature here] actually stand for?

Guild halls
Guild v Guild battles
First person camera view
Super Adventure Box
New PvP maps
Removing WvW from map completion
Specific class balances
Cantha
A heavy armor class
Playable Tengu
Precursor crafting
Silk price balances
A better Trait system

None of those are in the game, so, by logic of their nonexistence, they should never be.
“The only argument I need is I don’t want [a better Trait system].” It’s so utterly interchangeable that is has no weight.
“Why waste time on [playable Quaggan]? I don’t want [playable Quaggan].” …Which is true, I don’t, but I won’t fault players would might actually have fun with it. By the Six, there would be a huge squee if [playable Quaggan] actually got announced.

Additional reference: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/GW2-and-mathematics-The-Equilibrium-theory/first#post4305106

Many alts; handle it!

(edited by Rauderi.8706)

On Mounts & Housing.

Rukh.9287

Yeah, I have to admit, I can’t comprehend the “No it’s not in the game because its not in the game” argument. It seems so obviously flawed. I guess some people are just too basic to waste time with.

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

While the forum search feature is broken, you can still do a general search through your browser. There are plenty of threads on player housing and Mount threads.

Good day.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

(edited by Moderator)

On Mounts & Housing.

Rauderi.8706

Yeah, I have to admit, I can’t comprehend the “No it’s not in the game because its not in the game” argument. It seems so obviously flawed. I guess some people are just too basic to waste time with.

To be fair, her argument is thus: It’s not in the game, so there needs to be a good reason or good method to provoke action.

Which is true.

Where the execution falls apart like an April 15th Trait redesign is that reasons have been presented in other threads, conversations and dialogue have taken place, and a lot of considerations and solutions have been presented.

Without change there is no innovation, creativity, or incentive for improvement. Those who initiate change will have a better opportunity to manage the change that is inevitable.
William Pollard

Many alts; handle it!

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

The strongest arguments against Mounts are:

• Outside of the Wurms in Nightfall, there is no history of mounts in the Guild Wars universe.
  • With the current waypoint system and relatively small size of maps, there is no present need for mounts.
  • Mounts w/buffs will likely create even further balance issues.
  • Mounts w/o buffs, meaning cosmetic only, may create lag issues and flood player’s vision with even more than we already have to deal with.

These are all valid reasons against Mounts. Does that mean they will never be implemented? No. However those that want mounts MUST justify them against these reasons. If you can not – then you likely have little hope of getting ArenaNet to add them. I could very well be wrong in that because ArenaNet could just see it as another way to make money. * shrugs *

But if you only wish to downsize or insult the Anti-mount people’s reasoning, I’m afraid you’re not doing yourselves or your side of the debate any good.

You can do better.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

On Mounts & Housing.

Rauderi.8706

• Outside of the Wurms in Nightfall, there is no history of mounts in the Guild Wars universe.
  • With the current waypoint system and relatively small size of maps, there is no present need for mounts.
  • Mounts w/o buffs, meaning cosmetic only, may create lag issues and flood player’s vision with even more than we already have to deal with.

These are all valid reasons against Mounts. Does that mean they will never be implemented? No. However those that want mounts MUST justify them against these reasons. If you can not – then you likely have little hope of getting ArenaNet to add them. I could very well be wrong in that because ArenaNet could just see it as another way to make money.

Thanks for summarizing the issues clearly and concisely, Azhure. It’s been stated in prior posts that the implementation would require a lot to address them. I don’t see ANet wasting time on it for all those reasons above, unless they see a cost benefit that justifies spending extensive development investment.

Many alts; handle it!

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

Mounts already exist. See witch’s broom, sonic tunneling device. If they just made more of these mount-toys — no speed boost, no combat use — no one would care and people who want to ride in fashion can do so.

God knows I want a charr motorbike soooo badly to compliment my FF7 Cloud Strife cosplay.

On Mounts & Housing.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

These are all valid reasons against Mounts. Does that mean they will never be implemented? No. However those that want mounts MUST justify them against these reasons. If you can not – then you likely have little hope of getting ArenaNet to add them. I could very well be wrong in that because ArenaNet could just see it as another way to make money. * shrugs *

But if you only wish to downsize or insult the Anti-mount people’s reasoning, I’m afraid you’re not doing yourselves or your side of the debate any good.

You can do better.

Well said.

I personally have no interest in seeing mounts added to GW2.

If someone out there wants a real chance at getting them added they are going to have to give Anet reason to believe that adding mounts would have sufficient ROI to offset costs associated with addressing the problems inherent to adding them.

On Mounts & Housing.

Rukh.9287

You can do better.

You seem to have completely missed my point. Utterly. I didn’t say "All people who don’t want mounts are so and so. I said THIS SPECIFIC ARGUMENT is lame.

There’s plenty of valid arguments. I don’t care too much either way myself, but anybody who says the reason a thing shouldn’t be in the game is because its not in the game just is too simple a toad to cook.