One handed hammer and Two handed axes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

the title says it all, it would be beyond awesome if/when the hammer and axe get a smaller/bigger version of them self.
i think the warrior and engineer should have the hammer, axe for warrior, guardian and necro (dark knight type).

what do you think?

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

What would set a one-handed hammer apart from a mace?

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

weapons in mmo(rpgs) go as follows usually:
dagger—>sword—→greatsword
axe—→battle axe
mace—→hammer
the problem with engineer getting more weapons is that the powers that be are stuck in having kits be a weapon type. necromancer and engineer need more big time, and guardian to an extent.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

Yeah, we already have a 1 handed hammer, it’s a mace. As for 2 handed axes, sure.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

two handed axes → Polearms → Halberds, Naginata and Spears.

There’s a possible weapon class already in game, tho it’s underwater weapon, but it could be converted to polearms, would also put the underwater weapons into redesign, like amphibious weapons…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

2400 gems and sure, we’ll give you a 2h axe. Pony up

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i think two handed axes, in terms of skill design, might as well be a greatsword skin. think about it. pretend your warrior/guard/whatever is using his greatsword skills, but wielding a 2h axe.

but i wouldn’t complain about more weapon types. would rather have a crossbow for my thief though >.>

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Greatswords are mainly burst damage weapons…

Polearms would work differently.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

Greataxes (two-handed axes) were confirmed by the devs as something they’ve been considering since around release. That’s probably the most likely new weapon to appear first. As for one-handed hammers, there actually is a mace skin that looks like a hammer. It’s called Droknar’s Forgehammer.

As for new weapon types, it’s far more likely that we’ll see existing weapons given to classes that don’t have them yet before we encounter new weapons. Of course, it would have to make sense: a ranger using a staff makes sense because it could be like a druid using nature magic, and a mesmer with a main-hand pistol makes sense given the class’s “magical duelist” archetype, but you’re not going to see thieves with greatswords, or warriors dual-wielding foci.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Dear lord dude, how about you use some paragraphs.

As for the idea, I like it. 2h axes would be a nice addition, and I’d like to see spears as terrestrial weapons as well. 1h hammers would pretty much just be maces, though.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

but you’re not going to see thieves with greatswords, or warriors dual-wielding foci.

Except ANet have said, multiple times, that they have been working on making it so that all classes can use all weapons.

You might be right on ever seeing it though. They keep saying they’re doing alot of stuff that we never see.

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

I’d rather see spears converted to land weapons than have them try to model up a billion new skins to create an entirely new weapon type.

I mean yeah two-handed axes have a great look, but I’m not sure there’s a role that fits that look, as the big slashing weapon is already covered by greatswords.

Spears already have in-game models and can fit midrange melee or heavy projectile roles for professions that don’t have them.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Equinox.4968

but you’re not going to see thieves with greatswords, or warriors dual-wielding foci.

Except ANet have said, multiple times, that they have been working on making it so that all classes can use all weapons.

You might be right on ever seeing it though. They keep saying they’re doing alot of stuff that we never see.

I don’t believe I have EVER seen them say “all classes will have all weapons.” That would be ridiculous. A thief with a hammer? The whole point of the class is to carry light weapons that are easy to carry and easy to conceal. A warrior with a scepter or focus? How would they ever use those things, having absolutely no magical skill? A necromancer with a rifle? That’s pretty absurd.

I think everyone is confusing “all classes will get MORE weapons” with “all classes will get ALL weapons.” Please point me to at least one instance of them saying all classes will get all weapons, because I’m positive that they’d never do something as ludicrous as that.

dace.8019

I don’t believe I have EVER seen them say “all classes will have all weapons.”

You have now.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/external?l=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mmorpg.com%2Fgamelist.cfm%2Fgame%2F473%2Ffeature%2F7597%2FGuild-Wars-2-ArenaNets-Master-Plan-for-2013.html

“What’s more is that the team is also working very hard finding a way to make it so that every profession has access to every weapon and their own weapon skills for those previously locked weapons. Engineer plus Hammer? Check. Again, there’s no specific timeline for this, but a new progression system is coming. Finally those level 80s you’ve been hoarding will get some use, as they’ll be adding more and more skills and traits to the game for years to come and on a regular basis for players to obtain.”

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Mace itself is same as one handed Hammer.
Except someone somewhere made it a caster-type weapon, maybe because a simple wand would look stupid in the hand of a metal tincan guy.

Two handed axe: Agree.
Same as two handed Hammer, just more slashing than blunting.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

change fiery greatsword to a battle axe
give staff elementalists a bo-staff swap

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

sorudo.9054

a mace is a blunt bleeding weapon, a hammer is a mass smashing weapon, a big difference in physical force.
also, a hammer has more weight and mass then a mace, depending on the size of course.
better yet, when you drop a mace from a building it leaves a few cracks, a hammer shows a more crater-like impact.

anyway, i was more thinking of a KD kind of skill with some stun attacks for the one handed hammer, they “could” even add a skill that allows you to quickly smash the ground to stun or KB enemies around you.

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

a mace is a blunt bleeding weapon, a hammer is a mass smashing weapon, a big difference in physical force.
also, a hammer has more weight and mass then a mace, depending on the size of course.
better yet, when you drop a mace from a building it leaves a few cracks, a hammer shows a more crater-like impact.

anyway, i was more thinking of a KD kind of skill with some stun attacks for the one handed hammer, they “could” even add a skill that allows you to quickly smash the ground to stun or KB enemies around you.

Right, but warrior mace already has a stun, a knockdown, and a daze representing the weight and impact of the weapon. What’s a 1H hammer going to do differently for a warrior?

I mean, if you’d just like to see it as a skin, sure, I’m on board with that, but it’d still function like a mace for everything that uses maces.

I’d find a bigger difference in a rapier and a cutlass than a hammer and a mace, and both the rapier and the cutlass in this game are swords that function identically.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Equinox.4968

I don’t believe I have EVER seen them say “all classes will have all weapons.”

You have now.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/external?l=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mmorpg.com%2Fgamelist.cfm%2Fgame%2F473%2Ffeature%2F7597%2FGuild-Wars-2-ArenaNets-Master-Plan-for-2013.html

“What’s more is that the team is also working very hard finding a way to make it so that every profession has access to every weapon and their own weapon skills for those previously locked weapons. Engineer plus Hammer? Check. Again, there’s no specific timeline for this, but a new progression system is coming. Finally those level 80s you’ve been hoarding will get some use, as they’ll be adding more and more skills and traits to the game for years to come and on a regular basis for players to obtain.”

You misquoted this. That’s a MMORPG.com writer making an assertion that was never alluded to in the source the article was based on. All Colin’s blog post states is that new skills and traits are planned. The article writer’s assertion appears to be either misinformation or journalistic hyperbole, and it was most certainly not a direct quote by Colin about plans for expanding weapon choices. Even if it was a direct quote, we already know that things like the legendary precursor scavenger hunt have been indefinitely delayed and may never show up at all.

Show me a direct quote from an Anet developer explicitly stating in no uncertain terms that “every class will get every weapon eventually.” Anything less is mere speculation or inaccuracy. All we know for certain is that they intend to add more weapon skills to the game—no mention of when, how many, or how those additions will manifest themselves in the game.

(edited by Equinox.4968)

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Once they get rid of underwater, you’ll have your weapons.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

think that the one handed hammer is called a mace.(well gw2 has next to no satisfying mace skins)

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

2 handed axes in no way are the same as a Greatsword, an axe is a penetrating and control weapon with the ability to be great burst. The only problem with large axes is they’re not as good defensively as Greatswords but offer much better offensive capability.

sorudo.9054

think that the one handed hammer is called a mace.(well gw2 has next to no satisfying mace skins)

pff, all the mace skills suck beyond believe, the skin is the least of my concern.

also, a mace IS NOT the same as a hammer, do we need a sesamstreet episode about the difference or are you guys smart enough to handle that little lesson on your own…..

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Dual Shields would be a really great addition.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

pff, all the mace skills suck beyond believe, the skin is the least of my concern.

also, a mace IS NOT the same as a hammer, do we need a sesamstreet episode about the difference or are you guys smart enough to handle that little lesson on your own…..

I thought I should mention something about redundancy but that’s as far as I’ll go on it. Although, I’m waiting for scepter off-hands to show up.

Devona’s Rest

Equinox.4968

They’re actually really good on both the Guardian and Warrior as defensive weapons. The problem is that people generally don’t go for defense, they want full offense to DPS everything to death as quickly as possible

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

They’re actually really good on both the Guardian and Warrior as defensive weapons. The problem is that people generally don’t go for defense, they want full offense to DPS everything to death as quickly as possible

Defensive weapons?
You mean that burst combo on guardian with mace #3 or a trait called Unsuspecting Foe for a warrior which gives you +50% crit chance when target is stunned(with mace 3 second stun, +30% stun duration sigil for 3.9?)
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unsuspecting_Foe
It’s so freaking defensive to go into that stun and then swap for a hundred blades…

Equinox.4968

Defensive weapons?
You mean that burst combo on guardian with mace #3 or a trait called Unsuspecting Foe for a warrior which gives you +50% crit chance when target is stunned(with mace 3 second stun, +30% stun duration sigil for 3.9?)
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unsuspecting_Foe
It’s so freaking defensive to go into that stun and then swap for a hundred blades…

That probably does work, but overall maces are defensive weapons. The warrior’s mainhand mace has a block and an interrupt (two if you count the burst skill), and the autoattack chain is meant to keep your target weakened (thus mitigating damage). The guardian’s mace has two healing-oriented skills and an AOE block. Compare these to, for example, the warrior’s mainhand axe (huge sustained DPS) and the guardian’s sword (many fast attacks designed to do damage and proc Justice). The mace is clearly a mainhand defensive weapon for both classes, as opposed to the superior offensive options presented by other weapons. Not that this is a bad thing, as I enjoy using maces on both classes, but people only really care about damage in this game, so maces are often discarded as worthless.

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

I just want polearms and greataxes.

A two-handed axe would look amazing.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

What would set a one-handed hammer apart from a mace?

Think there are a couple maces that look just like a one-handed hammer too.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Azhure.1857

I just want polearms and greataxes.

A two-handed axe would look amazing.

It would look like this. >.>

Attachments:

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

I meant in combat.
It’s a far more offensive and barbaric weapon that a GS, so its skills should reflect that.

Azhure.1857

I meant in combat.
It’s a far more offensive and barbaric weapon that a GS, so its skills should reflect that.

Agreed.

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

I’m still unsure how GS got in before Great Axe.. seeing how Axes would have been far more effective against Charr, Undead and the whole like. Guess everyone on the Dev team wanted to be Cloud from FF7

Azhure.1857

Um…. how exactly do you know what is or isn’t “more effective”?

dace.8019

You misquoted this. That’s a MMORPG.com writer making an assertion that was never alluded to in the source the article was based on.

If you had read it, you would see that it is a write up of a phonecall interview between the writer and Colin Johanson. They discussed the blog post but spoke about other items too. I shouldn’t need to hold your hand through this.

The article writer’s assertion appears to be either misinformation or journalistic hyperbole, and it was most certainly not a direct quote by Colin about plans for expanding weapon choices. Even if it was a direct quote, we already know that things like the legendary precursor scavenger hunt have been indefinitely delayed and may never show up at all.

If you want an opinion (and that’s all you’ve offered, whereas this is at least a credible source, it’s more than you will find in terms of evidence for your self-generated opinion) I believe new access to weapons has been put way down the priority list along with, and even further below, Precursor scavenging.

It may not see light of day for some time, and possibly not to the suggested scale of everything for all. If it does get released, I’d expect it to coincide with a large release of expansion scope, be it new classes and/or large, permament content. ANet do alot of work that never ends up as content (or at least in the original way they may have thought it would) and this has a strong whiff of that about it, the best of what they did might get to us in a content/expansion addition.

FWIW, I’m somewhat against all classes having access to all weapons too. Thematically but also practically. Some classes roles are inherently derived from their weapons, and I can see some diluting overlap happening if every weapon is shoe-horned into every professions hands and that might not be for the better, also the state of weapon skill balance in the current weapons is still in need of some work.

Equinox.4968

If you had read it, you would see that it is a write up of a phonecall interview between the writer and Colin Johanson. They discussed the blog post but spoke about other items too. I shouldn’t need to hold your hand through this.

Writers get details wrong all the time. Therefore, I won’t accept any statement that isn’t directly from an Anet dev, since their word is law around here. I don’t get my information from game journalists, I get it straight from the creators of the game, and if something isn’t stated on the official site or by a dev post on these forums, I won’t believe it to be a concrete fact until appears in one of those places.

If you want an opinion (and that’s all you’ve offered, whereas this is at least a credible source, it’s more than you will find in terms of evidence for your self-generated opinion) I believe new access to weapons has been put way down the priority list along with, and even further below, Precursor scavenging.

It’s not an opinion. They definitely stated that there will be MORE weapons. But they remained silent as to the extent of new weapons and/or weapon skills. I personally believe they would be stupid to give warriors dual foci, etc., and I think my argument is sound. But the fact of the matter is that they have NEVER said one way or another how new weapons and skills will be implemented, and there is therefore nothing to indicate that they want everyone to have access to every weapon. This means we can’t assume they will do that, and we can’t assume they won’t—it’s 100% up in the air at present. And in the absence of a positive or negative pronouncement (in other words, “yes we will do this” or “no we won’t do that”), it is logically impermissible for silence to be used to infer anything.

(edited by Equinox.4968)

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

I’m going to comment solely on the poor job some of you internet historians are doing.

A one-handed war hammer is NOT the same as a mace. Same function? Arguably. Same form? Absolutely not.

Examples:
Mace
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=600853&name=German+Mace
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AA193&name=Arms+%26+Armor+High+Gothic+Mace

War hammer
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=600788&name=17th+Century+War+Hammer
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=600636&name=Late+Period+War+Hammer

Equinox.4968

I’m going to comment solely on the poor job some of you internet historians are doing.

A one-handed war hammer is NOT the same as a mace. Same function? Arguably. Same form? Absolutely not.

Examples:
Mace
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AA193&name=Arms+%26+Armor+High+Gothic+Mace

War hammer
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=600788&name=17th+Century+War+Hammer

If you want to get even more specific, the hammers in GW2 are actually “mauls,” generally closer to sledgehammers than warhammers. But you’re right, there’s a very clear difference between hammers (of any type) and maces.

(edited by Equinox.4968)

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

Examples:
Mace

War hammer

If you want to get even more specific, the hammers in GW2 are actually “mauls” rather than warhammers. But you’re right, there’s a very clear difference between hammers and maces.

Very true. I was merely commenting on the one-handed hammer which became popular between the 14th and 17th centuries in Europe, not the GW2 “hammers”(which would be incredibly impractical in real life).

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

Thank you, NewTrain! I was about to log in to post almost exactly the same thing, then I scrolled down further and saw your post. Similar function, but not the same. People should note the “spike” end of the warhammer (for piercing armor) is lacking on the mace, as each has a different function on the battlefield.

Equinox.4968

Very true. I was merely commenting on the one-handed hammer which became popular between the 14th and 17th centuries in Europe, not the GW2 “hammers”(which would be incredibly impractical in real life).

Sorry for the miscommunication—I wasn’t trying to take away from your post, just clarifying. You’re definitely still correct.

While we’re on the topic, GW2’s axes are similarly ridiculously oversized. Even some of the bigger one-handed axes that were actually in use in the pre-gunpowder era are pretty small in comparison to fantasy axes, which would likely break your wrist if you tried to swing them. Also, real fighting axes were virtually never double-bitted like you see in fantasy.

(The guy in those videos is an archaeologist and history buff who does a good job of debunking myths about the ancient and medieval eras, especially ones perpetuated by popular culture. He’s done his research, both by reading books and by testing things himself.)

Posted by: JoeytheHutt.1742

JoeytheHutt.1742

The few 2h battle axes Ive seen is actually piercing weapons, with the head like a chisel on one side and like a hammer on the other. The idea is to penetrate armor, wich is hard with a blade. Some also had a kind of hook, to pull knights off the horse,
Personally I would like to see an unarmed alternative, martial arts like.

dace.8019

Writers get details wrong all the time. Therefore, I won’t accept any statement that isn’t directly from an Anet dev, since their word is law around here.

Even something ANet state as their intention doesn’t mean it will happen. Here’s the thing: it’s information from an informal interview, the transcript of which has been summarised by the writer. Is that a great source? It’s not, no; but it is something to consider. Given they have, through a journalist, blog-site, or anything, never said anything to the contrary, it’s still the best information we have from a source who spoke directly to CJ at ANet about this.

I’m not saying you should accept it as gospel, and I’m not saying ANet are beholden to it in anyway, but it is what it is. Which is more than you can say for your, still, self generated opinion. So what am I saying? I’m saying that it is a likely insight into what ANet was experimenting/working with circa the time of the interview and remains the only insight (however second-hand) and is presented by a journalist who spoke directly to CJ about this topic, and he is reporting what he was told. This isn’t a court of law, we can consider journalistic hearsay.

It’s not an opinion. They definitely stated that there will be MORE weapons.

It patently is. You have no credible source (eg. someone who is citing ANet staff or, in this case, one of the senior staff at the company) stating anything to back up your opinion. You are formulating an opinion based on personal speculation and providing an interpretation.

Equinox.4968

Writers get details wrong all the time. Therefore, I won’t accept any statement that isn’t directly from an Anet dev, since their word is law around here.

Even something ANet state as their intention doesn’t mean it will happen. Here’s the thing: it’s information from an informal interview, the transcript of which has been summarised by the writer. Is that a great source? It’s not, no; but it is something to consider. Given they have, through a journalist, blog-site, or anything, never said anything to the contrary, it’s still the best information we have from a source who spoke directly to CJ at ANet about this.

I’m not saying you should accept it as gospel, and I’m not saying ANet are beholden to it in anyway, but it is what it is. Which is more than you can say for your, still, self generated opinion. So what am I saying? I’m saying that it is a likely insight into what ANet was experimenting/working with circa the time of the interview and remains the only insight (however second-hand) and is presented by a journalist who spoke directly to CJ about this topic, and he is reporting what he was told. This isn’t a court of law, we can consider journalistic hearsay.

Is it the “best” information we have? Probably. Does that mean it’s worth taking into consideration? Not by my book. We can consider journalistic hearsay, but I don’t think we should. Feel free to do what you want, but I think that accepting unofficial reports leads to confusion, expectations that don’t match reality, and hype that leads to disappointment in many parts of the GW2 community. Relying too much on information from outside the company is dangerous in that rumors too often are blurred with reality. Even data-miners are given too much credence, as the information they find may end up having absolutely no significance in the actual game.

It patently is. You have no credible source (eg. someone who is citing ANet staff or, in this case, one of the senior staff at the company) stating anything to back up your opinion. You are formulating an opinion based on personal speculation and providing an interpretation.

GW2 (official) Wiki: “New weapon types and expansion of current weapon types to more professions.” Officially mentioned by Arenanet. Beyond that we can’t speculate anything, but it has at least been mentioned by Anet staff.

(edited by Equinox.4968)

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

Humm dunno what you are talking about but mace main hand for guard and warriors is viable in pvp

Equinox.4968

Humm dunno what you are talking about but mace main hand for guard and warriors is viable in pvp

Probably because PVP is the only place where most people really care about defense/blocking/interrupts, PVE is damage 24/7/365 and anything less that the optimum is blacklisted. But even in PVE it’s pretty fun to run around with a mace. I challenging myself by timing everything just right so I can get through a fight in PVE without taking any damage.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

polearms and 2haXE are so epic in outer games and i love them to bad we dont have them here