Open raid content doesn't work!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Or those events could scale down so 20 players could do it if anybody won’t mess up. To be fair those event aren’t badly made. It’s just so frustrating when whole event is like kindergarten. Somebody try to tell what to do and idiots whine “100g don’t give you right to tell us what to do”.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

(edited by Junkpile.7439)

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

So I was leveling an alt today and went through a zone into Lornar’s pass just in time to be killed by the fembot’s mega laser.

I’ve been through the event a few times so I knew what it was, but I can only imagine how frustrating it would be for a player that was new to the game to come into the map, nowhere near the event, and suddenly die without knowing why.

Players are already struggling to make this event instanced through guesting and overflows. All that is being accomplished by making this open world is creating a headache for people trying to play together, and ruining lower level areas for lower level characters that get rolled over by these mobs that shouldn’t be there.

For those that argue more people want open world raiding rather than instanced, how about anet provides the option of an instanced version and we see which one more players participate in. I know if I had the option to jump into an instanced version immediately with friends, or even pugs, I would pick the instance.

Remember that whole thing about “not having to wait around to have fun”… well waiting for 2 hours to see if my server will even have enough people to participate instead of just hopping in the lfg finder is a hell of a lot like waiting around to have fun.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

They should remove the timers in open world boss events. If the fight willl go for 10 min or 10h it will all depend on how good the people are.
I am against all sorts of instanced content in a MMO. They divide the community in little groups.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

And it depends how many wearing berserker.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Spawne.3128

Spawne.3128

They should remove the timers in open world boss events. If the fight willl go for 10 min or 10h it will all depend on how good the people are.
I am against all sorts of instanced content in a MMO. They divide the community in little groups.

The problem with non instanced content that blizzard figured out years ago is that open raid world bosses not only make for a negative experience for hardcore players, but limit people from ever experiencing the content at all, as shown by people who are constantly being pushed into overflow and forced to fail. Anet’s scaling system for zones, while genius in some respects, completely fails when you put a world boss designed for lvl 80s only in a lvl 60 zone. It is a futile effort on the half of well coordinated players and guilds when they are forced to play the event with players who are no higher experience or skill/gear wise then the zone itself.

The even bigger problem with the whole world boss system is the fact that they DO NOT SCALE. It’s probably one of the biggest intentional oversights of this game, that again, will not be fixed on behalf of anet.

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

The problem with non instanced content that blizzard figured out years ago is that open raid world bosses not only make for a negative experience for hardcore players, but limit people from ever experiencing the content at all, as shown by people who are constantly being pushed into overflow and forced to fail. Anet’s scaling system for zones, while genius in some respects, completely fails when you put a world boss designed for lvl 80s only in a lvl 60 zone. It is a futile effort on the half of well coordinated players and guilds when they are forced to play the event with players who are no higher experience or skill/gear wise then the zone itself.

The even bigger problem with the whole world boss system is the fact that they DO NOT SCALE. It’s probably one of the biggest intentional oversights of this game, that again, will not be fixed on behalf of anet.

I wish all the white knights on here would understand these points. I brought up all these point during the Teq update, but was white knighted into oblivion at that time, just how it’s going to happen now. I would be the first one praising these updates if they were set up in a way to actually be fun. Instead we get the “fun” of trying to get 50-100 people to do something that they probably have no chance of doing. Of course everyone in the game is at the same skill level though right? So they should all be able to do everything that the person next to them can do.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

“high end pc”
I run the game on a 400 € machine and with a very bad inet connection. Still I have never had any drastic fps (constantly below 24-30fps) or lag issues (position resets, disconnects etc).

Everything else you’ve said may be true but this particular point is BS.

Spawne.3128

“high end pc”
I run the game on a 400 € machine and with a very bad inet connection. Still I have never had any drastic fps (constantly below 24-30fps) or lag issues (position resets, disconnects etc).

It’s not BS, GW2 is not optimized for use with multi core PC’s, especially AMD processors. I have a brand new system just built, FX-8320 oc’ed to 4.4ghz, and a 7870ghz edition graphics card with 8 gigs of crucial ballistix elite ram. Any other game on maximum resolution with supersampling and AA enabled, over 60fps, this game in an open world raid…8..maybe 10fps at best, on 50/15 internet. The game is very poorly optimized for any PC not running an intel processor, and the reason being is intels single threaded performance is 20-30% better then any AMD on the market right now, but that should not be a reason why a user cannot play this game, its laziness on the part of the devs to actually program the game for better usage of multi core processors and optimization for use with AMD processor technology.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

If you think people are actually enjoying open raid content, take ALL the rewards away from all of them.

See how many people do it for enjoyment then.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

If you think people are actually enjoying open raid content, take ALL the rewards away from all of them.

Well seeing how people always whine about how bad rewards for everything in the game is and yet they keep doing stuff, I would assume that rewards is not the only reason for them to do stuff.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Seems like a lot of people are troubled by the downsides of Open World content.

Sounds reasonable to offer an instanced version of sorts as well, doesn’kitten As long as it doesn’t takes away from the OW-version.

It’s an MMORPG. In addition to the fun content, there need to be a good reward for doing it. The journey isn’t as enjoyable if there’s no goal – especially if the game is designed around that very notion.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

It does work,instances are boring

Posted by: LegitMudkip.2173

LegitMudkip.2173

Overflow Wars 2.

Commander Abisinka :: Bag Force [SF] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

Spawne.3128

It does work,instances are boring

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Well seeing how people always whine about how bad rewards for everything in the game is and yet they keep doing stuff, I would assume that rewards is not the only reason for them to do stuff.

It’s true. Even the game play isn’t rewarding. But I’m glad you completely and 100% agree with me to try my experiment.

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

“high end pc”

It’s not BS, GW2 is not optimized for use with multi core PC’s, especially AMD processors. I have a brand new system just built, FX-8320 oc’ed to 4.4ghz, and a 7870ghz edition graphics card with 8 gigs of crucial ballistix elite ram. Any other game on maximum resolution with supersampling and AA enabled, over 60fps, this game in an open world raid…8..maybe 10fps at best, on 50/15 internet. The game is very poorly optimized for any PC not running an intel processor, and the reason being is intels single threaded performance is 20-30% better then any AMD on the market right now, but that should not be a reason why a user cannot play this game, its laziness on the part of the devs to actually program the game for better usage of multi core processors and optimization for use with AMD processor technology.

Hate to break this to you. but that aint a high end pc. Its mid range at best. In point of fact its nearly the same as the Xbox 1 or PS4, neither of which are “high end”. My i7 rig is better than yours by a fair margin and even it aint “high end”.

But you are correct in that GW2 has horrible performance on AMD cpu based systems.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

They do work.

But still, I’d take half of your opinion as accurate.

Devs, give us more open raid content + closed raid content ( WoW-style ). It’d keep both groups satisfied and make this game’s end content truly outstanding. Hell, I’d prolly quit complaining myself, lol.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

They do work.

Devs, give us more open raid content + closed raid content ( WoW-style ). It’d keep both groups satisfied and make this game’s end content truly outstanding. Hell, I’d prolly quit complaining myself, lol.

Yeah but I’d start complaining. lol

Corpus Christi.2057

They do work.

Haha, why would you?:P I mean, having both sides of the coin is not the worst of the ideas, especially if it would please those complaining atm and keep satisfied those that don’t complain atm.

Lexandro.1456

Probably something to do with the daft argument of “splitting the playerbase” , when the entire game biult around splitting up the playerbase between servers, map zones, guilds etc etc.

Corpus Christi.2057

Probably something to do with the daft argument of “splitting the playerbase” , when the entire game biult around splitting up the playerbase between servers, map zones, guilds etc etc.

Possibly, but it’s an MMO game after all, it’s supposed to please different tastes. Hence, having both of them is a must, in my opinion, and invalidates the argument of “splitting the playerbase”.

Lexandro.1456

I agree. Open and instanced events would be a great idea. One for the masses, one for a co-ordinated team. Win/win.

Corpus Christi.2057

I agree. Open and instanced events would be a great idea. One for the masses, one for a co-ordinated team. Win/win.

Indeed!

Vayne.8563

They do work.

Haha, why would you?:P I mean, having both sides of the coin is not the worst of the ideas, especially if it would please those complaining atm and keep satisfied those that don’t complain atm.

I think it’s more complex than offering two types of content. I think that offering a lot of content, while great in theory, is bad in practice.

This is what happened in Guild Wars 1. Anet offered prophecies then came out with Factions. Everyone wanted to play factions when it came out and a whole lot of people went there…which left Prophecies a lot emptier. I mean, it was a year old, right? All the original people had played it to death. Six months later, we get Nightfall. Good thing Factions was a short game.

So now the playerbase was split among three games. It doesn’t matter that they were tied together. What matters was that people were having a harder and harder time trying to find people to do missions. Probably why Nightfall included heroes for the first time.

Now we already see “open world is dead” posts on these forums. So let’s say there’s giant open world content and also big guild content. You take those 40 players out of the world, well it’s only 40 players right? But it’s not. It’s all the guys who would raid and ignore the open world content all together. 40 × 5? 40x 100? and everyone one of those people would be out of the open world.

Anet wanted a game about the open world. That’s what it was always supposed to be about. If you go to their website now, it says “Enter a Living Breathing World” not enter an fun instance with a hard boss. It’s a different dynamic.

For years, MMOs have been focused on delivering end game content as instanced content. Even Rift, which has open world zone wide events and dynamic events ended up funneling you into dungeons and raids. Why? Because Scott Hartman the head guy over at Trion (at the time and now again) loves raids. He was like a raid guy. So he pushed raids.

And a lot of people walked away because we were sold an open world experience and that essentially ended.

Nothing that takes the bulk of the population out of the open world for any length of time is good for this game. Its’ why guild missions are in the open world too. They’re not instanced for a reason.

So other people can participate if they see something happening.

A living breathing world requires people in it. And yes, you’re not always going to have people in every zone, but the living story does bring zones to life for a while and then we all move to a new zone.

Look at what it did for Kessex Hills.

Lexandro.1456

GW1 wasnt every good at informing players HOW they moved across game worlds. Countless times players would be asking how to get to Tyria or Cantha. But yeah Proph had a much reduced population with factions and nightfall releases. However even when those were not released yet, the instanced nature of the game made it feel like it was emptier than it really was.

Its why Camadan became known as Spamadan, because so many people flocked there to chat and team up. Along with the usual suspects of sellers, bots and guild recruiters.

That would not happen here because we have open world maps. Even with the additon of instanced zones for special events it would not make the other events “empty”. We can see this with Teq currently. Numerous players who do Teq battles have moved on to the triple trouble event. However Teq still has plenty of people available to take it down in certain servers. Ofc some servers will have issues due to low populations but they have that now anyway, even with open world bosses.

It would give Anet a great excuse to merge some lower pop servers together, and provide those servers with the numbers of players they want.

Vayne.8563

GW1 wasnt every good at informing players HOW they moved across game worlds. Countless times players would be asking how to get to Tyria or Cantha. But yeah Proph had a much reduced population with factions and nightfall releases. However even when those were not released yet, the instanced nature of the game made it feel like it was emptier than it really was.

Its why Camadan became known as Spamadan, because so many people flocked there to chat and team up. Along with the usual suspects of sellers, bots and guild recruiters.

That would not happen here because we have open world maps. Even with the additon of instanced zones for special events it would not make the other events “empty”. We can see this with Teq currently. Numerous players who do Teq battles have moved on to the triple trouble event. However Teq still has plenty of people available to take it down in certain servers. Ofc some servers will have issues due to low populations but they have that now anyway, even with open world bosses.

It would give Anet a great excuse to merge some lower pop servers together, and provide those servers with the numbers of players they want.

You’re talking about events…I’m talking about the world. Most of the world on most servers is empty already but the living story focuses us on it.

I hardly ever used to see people in Kessex Hills. In the last couple of months, before this living story, there were people all over the zone. Yes the focused on a few boss fights, but there was drift. I’d run over an area that I hadn’t been since launch and someone would be there, cutting wood, or mining orr, or doing an event or whatever.

People waiting for the Marionette fight often go around Lorners while they’re waiting and do zone completion on different characters. I know several people doing this.

It’s not about Tequatl and big bosses with big rewards. That’s always going to have someone going to them. It’s about people out in the open world, making the world feel more alive.

It’s not going to happen if everyone is instances.

Lexandro.1456

But were are all in instances already in dungeons, fractals, LS zones etc. Even the world zones are instances in themselves, due to game design of portaling between zones. Its not a true “open world”, in that sense. The issue isn’t due to the instances themselves, but the lacklustre nature of the map zones. Many of them are simply a PITA to navigate, or feature silly invisible walls or have designs that are off putting. Those kinds of things make a map zone highly unappealing to the wider playerbase. But that is a separate issue with MMO’s of all kinds, where lower level zones are low population once the game has been out for a while.

It still doesn’t preclude instancing for special event bosses like Teq or Marionette for dedicated teams or guilds.

(edited by Lexandro.1456)

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I don’t want WoW like raids, I want Elite Missions for GW1.

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

how about writing a grouping system where a guildleader can accept people into an instance without going trough the motion of “taxi” mist switch and overflow hopping.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread that problem is easily solved by guesting (free) to an underpopulated server. No need for the instance at all.

wrong..

this is not wvw, this is openworld.. people are already guesting and this has nothing to do with lower populated servers.. this has to do with not getting in the event on your own server, with your own guild or friends.. not being dependant on upleveled players who can’t bother to come on ts or really serve a purpose, or are only interested on the loot that champions don’t drop, or not waypointing when dead because ‘hey why run when you can endanger and most likely get the people ressing you killed..’ or complain in mapchat about not being ressed. etc etc .. other 100 reasons i can mention why to make this event also an guildmission instance.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

(edited by Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046)

Posted by: Randall.7306

Randall.7306

I’d like to see epic bosses and fights in open world, so players are not separated among instances and locked out of the world. But in a way that doesn’t throw multiple overflows in every server. The timers/wait seems a common problem for this. X boss respawns every x hours, and players that want to do it needs to be there, the waiting queues expand in time et voilá, 1hour waiting afk. Doesn’t sound good.

Changing times could work, for example, Tequatl arrives in a server, isn’t defeated, it stays there. Forever. Until defeated. There is no special hurry to defeat it, so players may not feel urged to go all at the same hour. Experienced players, guilds or strangers could assembly a group large enough to try. Scale the boss from 30-50 to 200 or whatever the cap is.

This would help, if done right, to make the world more alive. If every 60+ map has its own epic boss, that may stay there for days, the map should reflect the boss presence. Enemies are harder, some groups of minions raid the players, sky is darker, conditions apply on certain zones…. just avoid make the map not navigable as in Orr, that’s easy and feels cheap, and punish players in weird way, or punish them to not being in a elite guild dedicated to clean maps.

The event stays there, you can try to defeat, you can try at 22:20 if there is enough people there that want to coordinate at that time. If it’s already defeated, well, then wait until it appears again, search for another undefeated epic monster fight, whatever.

But to tell every player “This is up, stay there 1 hour in advance so you can do with group/friends/guild, otherwise, I will punish you” would continue in ignored epic monsters or overflow wars.

Lexandro.1456

Big events that require a big group of players should never have a timer, especially when said event last 20 mins and the timer is 2 fraking hours. A quest chain that opens the event, ala CoF dungeon would suffice without needing people to sit around for hours at time to get in an event.

An hour and a half wait for 20 mins of fun is something that should be frowned upon in game, let alone and MMO. Its honestly as if the devs in this game have OCD, and cannot envisage any other way of doing it. And to change it would make them freak out.

Developers need to realise that not every idea is a good one, and just because they spend hours doing something doesn’t make it a good idea. That’s why its called development, not production. You are supposed to try new things, and mix it up till you find a good blend of options. Not copy paste the same trite event methods all across the game.

Development leaders really need to start using the word “No” more often to force them to go back to the design table

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

i am also wondering if all the people trying to taxi or sceme their way into main servers are causing extra server issues. say 1000 people at the same time try to connect to a certain map on a certain server.

I am all for a pre event grouping in LA ( the way siegeraiser’s, build event, works) and then get transported into an overflow ( the way the puppet boss phase works) LA even stays open untill the map is full or the event is well underway.

Coming back to event messages (the way scarlets event works) for other world events.. leading to. world chat..

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Vayne.8563

But were are all in instances already in dungeons, fractals, LS zones etc. Even the world zones are instances in themselves, due to game design of portaling between zones. Its not a true “open world”, in that sense. The issue isn’t due to the instances themselves, but the lacklustre nature of the map zones. Many of them are simply a PITA to navigate, or feature silly invisible walls or have designs that are off putting. Those kinds of things make a map zone highly unappealing to the wider playerbase. But that is a separate issue with MMO’s of all kinds, where lower level zones are low population once the game has been out for a while.

It still doesn’t preclude instancing for special event bosses like Teq or Marionette for dedicated teams or guilds.

Exactly we’re already doing dungeons and fractals and other stuff. Anet is trying to shift focus back to the world. They’ve been trying for a long time.

And when they make an instance…something like TA Aetherblade, which is a great dungeon, it gets largely ignored. Dungeon runners, most of them are just farming. That’s it.

So, what’s the benefit of making these raids. If they’re not profitable enough people won’t do them. If they are too profitable they take people out of the world so everyone can come on the forums and say no one plays this game anymore.

It’s a lose/lose situation.

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

“high end pc”

Hate to break this to you. but that aint a high end pc. Its mid range at best. In point of fact its nearly the same as the Xbox 1 or PS4, neither of which are “high end”. My i7 rig is better than yours by a fair margin and even it aint “high end”.

But you are correct in that GW2 has horrible performance on AMD cpu based systems.

You missed my point: I have a midrange pc and very bad internet connection BUT no lags or fps issues at all.

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

I find open world “raid” bosses fun.

In another game I’ve done massive boss battles (bigger player numbers than GW2 has yet to show me) with massive PvP around said boss. Talking about having to get all those people to work together to fend off a massive player army and work out the boss mechanics – all for a chance at loot. So when people complain in GW2 about getting a few people to work together, I can only think it’s a player problem – not a dev issue. There seems to be a mixed mindset among GW2 players. Seems to me that more people either need to accept the desire for community progress or just leave these bosses/events alone. That’s how it was over there in that other game: Those that wanted to work together for the sake of a good time and possible loot all got together and had at it. Those that didn’t find massive battle to be their thing, just stayed away. Then again, the loot was gained for stats and those stats were also available elsewhere. Where GW2 LS events seem to want to force people in to one activity for something (ie Marionette’s crafting designs). The problem with the likes of Tequatl and the Marionette is that you need all these people working together, yet a small few can ruin it. There’s no room for learning and others compensating.

All-in-all open world “raid” bosses can work just fine. I’d suggest reworking some mechanic to be a tad more forgiving (ie the “hardcore knows everything” should be able to compensate for the “casual just learning”). I’d also suggest spreading limited LS rewards out more – give people options, even if it’s slightly less rewarding.

Posted by: Enzo.2104

Enzo.2104

The problem are the stiff intervals. With variable intervals cant stay somebody AFK in main map and wait for next try.

Allowing 7 times spawning 3Wurms per day, but not every 3 hours. Some with 1 hour cd, next spawn with 4 hours … . Who the hell be stay there, when dont know when will be the next spawn.

Or make boss spawn with attention as “Scarlet attacking some location”.

Lexandro.1456

You missed my point: I have a midrange pc and very bad internet connection BUT no lags or fps issues at all.

Er no I didnt, Its just nothing to do with my point whatsoever. The game has issues on AMD cpu’s, well documented ones that the devs are well aware of.

And AMD FX cpu and 7870 gpu with 8gb ram is a mid-range gaming system. Extremely similar to the hardware in the Xb1 and PS4, which are certainly not high end PC’s.

A high end PC features SLI/Crossfire with triple monitor setups running in 4k resolutions with an Intel CPU (or two cpu’s / board dependent).

(edited by Lexandro.1456)

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

I completely disagree with the OP.

Open World Big Bosses are a must. You just neet to be patient and let most of the players learn the new bosses mechanics.

Tequatl was very hard when it was revamped and now is just farmed endlessly…I do it everyday with several characters even in overflows.

The Marionette is easier and I already did it (in an overflow actually) but for what I see the main servers succeed most of the times, the failures happen more on overflows. But with time it will turn into another farming business…

The Wurm is a bit more difficult because all 3 heads need to be finished within 1 minute. This requires more coordination but with time we will do it…as soon as the groups learn to watch the 3 wurms health bars displayed and dps accordingly.

I understand that to some players GW2 is the most important thing in life but the vast majority of the player base has a normal life. Having the opportunity of killing the Big Bosses in the open world within huge zergs it is the only way for most of us.

Instead of complaining you should post a link or write a guide with the basic guidelines to do both new bosses.

Best regards,

R.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Jim Hunter.6821

They do work.

I think it’s more complex than offering two types of content. I think that offering a lot of content, while great in theory, is bad in practice.

This is what happened in Guild Wars 1. Anet offered prophecies then came out with Factions. Everyone wanted to play factions when it came out and a whole lot of people went there…which left Prophecies a lot emptier. I mean, it was a year old, right? All the original people had played it to death. Six months later, we get Nightfall. Good thing Factions was a short game.

So now the playerbase was split among three games. It doesn’t matter that they were tied together. What matters was that people were having a harder and harder time trying to find people to do missions. Probably why Nightfall included heroes for the first time.

Now we already see “open world is dead” posts on these forums. So let’s say there’s giant open world content and also big guild content. You take those 40 players out of the world, well it’s only 40 players right? But it’s not. It’s all the guys who would raid and ignore the open world content all together. 40 × 5? 40x 100? and everyone one of those people would be out of the open world.

Anet wanted a game about the open world. That’s what it was always supposed to be about. If you go to their website now, it says “Enter a Living Breathing World” not enter an fun instance with a hard boss. It’s a different dynamic.

For years, MMOs have been focused on delivering end game content as instanced content. Even Rift, which has open world zone wide events and dynamic events ended up funneling you into dungeons and raids. Why? Because Scott Hartman the head guy over at Trion (at the time and now again) loves raids. He was like a raid guy. So he pushed raids.

And a lot of people walked away because we were sold an open world experience and that essentially ended.

Nothing that takes the bulk of the population out of the open world for any length of time is good for this game. Its’ why guild missions are in the open world too. They’re not instanced for a reason.

A living breathing world requires people in it. And yes, you’re not always going to have people in every zone, but the living story does bring zones to life for a while and then we all move to a new zone.

That has nothing to do with instanced vs. open world. That is just people flocking to play new content.

Using that logic I could complain that every other map in the open world is empty because all the pve players are sitting around waiting for these events to start. Any new content added is splitting the player base away from you if you don’t want to take part in it.

Your argument would be like me complaining that I want everyone to be helping me with an event in the plains of ashford but they’re all in lornars pass instead and it makes it harder for me to play.

LGN

Vayne.8563

They do work.

That has nothing to do with instanced vs. open world. That is just people flocking to play new content.

Using that logic I could complain that every other map in the open world is empty because all the pve players are sitting around waiting for these events to start. Any new content added is splitting the player base away from you if you don’t want to take part in it.

Your argument would be like me complaining that I want everyone to be helping me with an event in the plains of ashford but they’re all in lornars pass instead and it makes it harder for me to play.

Right except that the living story brings people back to some open world maps at different points, which is what makes this game quite different from most others. We’re not all standing around on Orr, last time I checked. We’re in Bloodtide Coast and Lornar’s pass. Last month there were a whole lot of people running around Kessex.

The world is the playground here. It doesn’t matter if Fields of Ruin is dead today, it might be busy tomorrow.

You start instancing stuff and that could all go away.

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Probably been mentioned before in this thread or somewhere else, but -

Open world bosses of Wurm difficulty need to be in lvl 80 zones

I did wurm on TC a couple of times the other day and led a 3 or 4 man husk maintenance team a couple times with my condition necro. I explained what we were going to do and answered any questions that people had. I even mailed party members pizzas that I had laying around in my bags.

Out of the ten or so other party members over the course of a couple events, guess how many were also lvl 80? ONE. I even got a lvl 47, which isn’t even an appropriate level for the area of bloodtide coast where the fight happens! That poor guy was friendly and all, but he spent the ENTIRE fight dead. Many others were first timers to the fight. The wurm scales (well maybe, it is wonky as kitten) based on these people fighting, but they are just dead weight. In the end it can’t be fun for the underleveled to be dead the whole fight and it also frustrates those people who are leveled and geared when the ground is littered with lvl 45 bodies and the fight is turning into a cluster.

Posted by: Dench.5968

Dench.5968

I would like to see large scale content geared towards clans/guilds.

I hate playing with the public. I hate relying on people who just happen to show up. I want to rely on my friends, people i know and trust. people I am familiar with playing with. people i have strong relationships with.

But thats not how content in GW2 works, especially the “epic” content.

I’m at the point now where I’m burned out from the game. My main has ascended armor, 4 legendary weapons, full ascended jewelry. The only thing left to grind out would be a fractal back piece but I just don’t care enough to do it.

Zerging around another zone killing a reskinned Jungle Wurm is not something exciting or new to me.

Looks like it’s time for another break.

Posted by: Valishra.5419

Valishra.5419

So people that are not part of those “elite groups” that are doing said instanced fights should never be able to do it or even see the fight?
They should never mechanically lock people out of content, which they would if you were required to be part of a pre-made large group.

This is literally one of the most stupid posts I have ever seen. “Elite groups”? What forming an organized raid group as opposed to the current system of a 1000 noobs clustered around the giant loot pinata? The fundamental problem with GW2 is its lack of progression. Having proper instanced raid bosses would bring a lot more players back to the game with the opportunity to actually raid.

It’s not “locking” people out. It’s setting up obstacles and goals for people to overcome. The formula for achievements in GW2 is grind > skill. Legendary weapons, PvP titles etc don’t require any skill to obtain just grind, grind, grind and you’ll get them eventually. Even fractals was just grinding the same instance over and over and over as “progress”.

By having exclusive content, you set a challenge for players that makes them want to actively improve at the game and progress their characters, as opposed to joining the zerg train in overflow.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

quite honestly I don’t think I"ll ever down wurm unless I join “elite groups” called BG server or TTS.

That being said people can still kill one of the head and have fun with it.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Even fractals was just grinding the same instance over and over and over as “progress”.

By having exclusive content, you set a challenge for players that makes them want to actively improve at the game and progress their characters, as opposed to joining the zerg train in overflow.

Um, raids are the same thing though. Grinding the same thing over and over again every week. Just with more people.

That said, I’m not against instanced content for guild groups. Guilds do need more things to do together. However, they should NOT remove open world events. Many of us really enjoy them and I think it’s rather selfish of some people to want to get rid of that content totally in favor of instanced only. Why not have both? (Not saying you are saying that specifically, but some people have.)

Lexandro.1456

Right this minute is a prime example of what’s wrong with these types of event. I have not been in my main server for the marionette event for 2 days now. I joined Lorner at 3:20 pm and I am thrown in to an overflow. That’s 40 mins before the event even starts outside of prime time and I cant get in. On top of that no-one in my guild of 500 people is in either.

Its frankly ridiculous especially as it has a 2 hour timer. Atrocious design.

Jim Hunter.6821

Even fractals was just grinding the same instance over and over and over as “progress”.

Um, raids are the same thing though. Grinding the same thing over and over again every week. Just with more people.

That said, I’m not against instanced content for guild groups. Guilds do need more things to do together. However, they should NOT remove open world events. Many of us really enjoy them and I think it’s rather selfish of some people to want to get rid of that content totally in favor of instanced only. Why not have both? (Not saying you are saying that specifically, but some people have.)

I don’t think anyone on the instanced side of the argument is asking for open world to be removed.
I’m pretty sure the only ones that are against having both options are the people on the open world side because they’re afraid they won’t be able to find a big enough zerg to spam 1 with.

LGN

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

I have in the past wanted instanced raiding for a variety of reasons… One being so that I could control the group going in to ensure good coordination and another being so that my guild could do this as a group activity that we could schedule.. on our time, not a timer…

Now, the marionette has been a great fight for us. We’ve participated quite a bit but it still requires us to gather with a large group of other people that may or may not know the fights.. and sometimes are unwilling to learn them choosing to ignore everyone and just do as they please… which is fine, play how you want… but it seems not so great that this can be done to the detriment of other groups of players (i.e. my guild can try as hard as they like but we are not the deciding factor in the success of this event).

I still think it would be nice to have instanced raids as guild missions.. but even raids like this in the open world that were guild missions, to me, would be a huge step to help give guilds more activities to do together. At least then we could start it when we want and the area may or may not be crowded by other players as this event wouldn’t be on a timer that everyone would know about… people passing by could join, but we wouldn’t have 100 people waiting around for it to start.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Jim Hunter.6821

Right except that the living story brings people back to some open world maps at different points, which is what makes this game quite different from most others. We’re not all standing around on Orr, last time I checked. We’re in Bloodtide Coast and Lornar’s pass. Last month there were a whole lot of people running around Kessex.

The world is the playground here. It doesn’t matter if Fields of Ruin is dead today, it might be busy tomorrow.

You start instancing stuff and that could all go away.

It’s not bringing people back to the maps on my world. I’m on a low pop server that is being emptied because people are guesting over to other servers to sit and wait so that they can play with friends or at least with enough people to do the events.

If the events were instanced they could just queue up for it and play the game on their own servers while waiting.

LGN

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This is why mmos implemented instancing, because it gave groups and raids be more coordinated, without some random people messing up the encounter. Players cried and whined about raid content though, so the other solution was to just make open world content.

The playerbase is to blame here. They are so adamant against anything to do with traditional mmo elements, instead of trying to find a balance.

Anet’s in-game tools are non-existent for this type of content, so the blame is on them. Give better open world group features for grouping, marking, waypointing, squads, etc.

(edited by nexxe.7081)