Opinions on the Entire GW2 Patch Update?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

Basically i was pretty optimistic about the update, sure it had things that miffed me (town clothes) but all in all i could get over the problems and loved some of the new changes….and then the Megaserver blog post came up, and right now i’m basically trying to figure out what other parts of the game i haven’t tried; to experience before leaving the game. kitten shame, i loved this game but if the developers want to dictate at what time i’m supposed to do events and even on what server i’m supossed to play then it’s better to just call it quits.

The worst part of it is that the backlash over this ridiculously bad idea of a system is quite tame here on the forums giving them the illusion that this is just a vocal minority but the reality is most players don’t frequent the forums and considering some of the disscussions i’ve heard from quite a few big end guilds on my server…well let’s just say the population drop will become quite the problem the next few months.

bla bla bla… population leaves… bla bla bla… ESO was Just launched… Bla Bla Bla…lots of competition…. bla bla bla…

Heard it all before.

People always say " Oh if you change the game in a way I don’;t Like…everyone….will leave."

Then ,…no one does. Not even the person Posting.

Seen it before, nothing to see here :-)

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

They still haven’t said anything like, “We wanted to make the game more Guild Wars-y” so I don’t consider this a NGE.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

The Guild Wars 2 Neon Genesis Evangelion? It’s the first time I’m hearing of it, but I’m totally onboard.

Shinji would be Trahearne.

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

I for one fully support ANet’s decision to implement the human instrumentality program.

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

I think, all features of april 15 patch are great.(especially megaserver) It’s even better than all living stories combined imo. With megaserver and more and more features, we will feel that tyria is “living”. Currently many maps are no mans land.
The game needs more and more feature packs after april 15, so they mustn’t stop working on new game features. I think arenanet needs 2 seperate teams after the end of living story: one for constantly developing new features, one for developing permanent+new game content. I think, new features and permanent content is the only way to use this game’s potential. Gw2 has much more potential than current mmos, just needs some work.
I also think, temporary content just wasted developers’ effort and workforce for one year. The game would be like “gw3” if all that effort was spent for new features and perma-content.

(edited by Umut.5471)

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

most of the NGE is positive.

about the myth of “established communities” (because the dungeons and fractals are cross server and you can freely guest) there is no such thing in this game outside of WWW
and the WWW will remain server centered.

the RP drama that rose before; is just drama, as you can have up to 5 guilds ( i think?)
they will evolve to some cross server mega guild for RPers, just like TTS did for PVE. and i think there is a similar guild for fractal runners.

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I knew the term “NGE” from before, I don’t think I heard about SWG when it was running, learned a bit about it afterwards from sources who found that change a negative thing.
And I had dubbed this feature patch an “NGE” in my mind when everything was clear.

I’d say my feelings are clear here.
Saddened by my losses.

let the sky fall

(edited by Traced.3495)

Posted by: AlexEBT.7240

AlexEBT.7240

bla bla bla… population leaves… bla bla bla… ESO was Just launched… Bla Bla Bla…lots of competition…. bla bla bla…

Heard it all before.

People always say " Oh if you change the game in a way I don’;t Like…everyone….will leave."

Then ,…no one does. Not even the person Posting.

Seen it before, nothing to see here :-)

Hey, believe what you want but it’s not like this megaserver system is not throwing quite a few ppl under the bus and those ppl are very unhappy with this. And in my case, yes i did stop playing for an extended period of time and also stopped purchasing from the gemstore will real money over my grievances (the balance team has no clue what they are doing so i just made multiple fully geared chars of the most popular professions aka warr, guard, thief, mesmer, engi, the last one was my old main, and just cycle through them everytime the balance team kittens something up with some of them) back then. The b2p nature of the game makes it easy for ppl to keep playing without supporting the game in any way.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

Ok, you asked for opinions, and here goes (TL;DR at the bottom of the post):

Anet is impementing a feature patch. Some of the things have been asked for since launch. Some of the things are kind of “iffy” but if they work in the long run, I am all for them.

• Trait change. While the system seems ok, why the need to introduce something so drastically different over a year since release?

I don’t think the trait change is going to be that bad. There’s going to be more than one way to obtain them, and I do like the idea of chasing traits being a reason to go out and see the world.

• Build change after grind to Ascended gear.
  • DPS nerf with the zerk nerf. /snip

The Zerker build is still going to be the most useful for pure DPS. I don’t think the reduction in damage is going to be as impactful as people seem to think it will be. If you chose to grind for Ascended and made them Zerker, you’re still going to be the “uber player” so I wouldn’t worry about it too awfully much until you see it in action.

• Acc-bound Dyes (?): One Unindentified Dye does not make up for 2 Abyssesl!

I have no sympathy for you on this one. I have 3, and I don’t see it as a problem. This just means that I saved myself (insert obscene amount of gold) buying one for my other 4 alts. This is a thing that people have been asking, no, screaming for since launch. I’m sorry you’re out the gold, but that’s just too bad. This is a great change!

• Megaserver: loosing the ability to see which Waypoints are contested. /snip
  • Megaserver: unable to see the status of Orr Temples./snip
  • Megaserver: Gathering Nodes. /snip
  • Megaserver: loosing the ability to create a gathering map for fellow players.
  • Megaserver: negative impact on ESTABLISHED COMMUNITIES.
  • Megaserver: problem with running events with allied guilds /snip
  • Megaserver: TAKING THE CHOICE AWAY from players./snip
  • Megaserver = overflows. /snip
  • Megaserver: loss of In-Game Events “meet at X pm at server Y”.
  • Megaserver Megaboss TIMERS: /snip

You’re absolutely sure? You’ve played with the megaserver and you know all of this to be absolute truth? Anet themselves have said that they are implementing the megaserver ONLY IN CERTAIN AREAS to begin with so they can see how it is working, and they’re not rolling it out to the entire in-game world until later in the year. How about we see it in play before we take the Chicken Little route?

In a way, I kind of agree with you on this one. Changing the game this much a year and a half down the road is risky. I don’t think it will be the Doom and Gloom I see in the forums, but I do see an “adapt or die” situation for the players.

With poorly developed story, and constant nerfs / changes to builds, my server community was the only thing that kept me playing. When they fully take servers away, it’s bye bye GW2.

Personally, I think that the community won’t disappear. I think that if nothing else, the community may be a bit more cohesive because we’re not going to be restricted to whatever world we’re on for the most part. Server loyalty is great for WvW, but for PvE it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. How many threads have we seen from people who are complaining about (server name) guesting to (other server name) in order to farm events? Again, this is something I have seen crop up in the forums before. The need for individual homeworlds is not as great as you seem to think except in WvW where they’re still going to be segregated anyway. How about we see the implementation before we get our knickers in a twist, eh?

TL;DR:
Anet is releasing a massive patch. We have no control over that. We are going to have to get used to the changes and adapt.

The thing is that we can rant and rave all we want, but in the end, we’re not going to know how the patch will affect the game until after it goes live. How about we stop predicting the end of the game until then?

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well megaservers?

I only care wether or not I can do COF or COE (HotW) now without having to do the entrance event each time. I’m running Dungeons with guild or LFG groups so I’m in a megaserver already.

I´m never ever going to run lvl 15-70 maps again becasue I got map completion on 4 characters already, other 5 toons have every waypoint unlocked EVERYWHERE. Only reason to go into a map is to start dungeon, run the dungeon and move out or do guild missions or fight a world boss (generally temples, dragons, sometimes ulgoth and FE, Wurm/Behemoth if I’m supporting a low level friend…)
0-15 is for farming X of whatever area for the daily kills/ underwater kils/critter kills…

I might return to 15-70 playing a new part of a playable story/story line/expansion/new class (or extremeley nice race) toon… but not for the map grind..

In the end I will contribute nothing to the map population. If I can only effectively earn gold through dungeons I’ll keep doing dungeons. If A-Net wants everything through the TP: No Problem!

I’ll do everything trough the TP, just doing dungeons. Next goal: get Infinite Light. 700 gold on the TP, roughly 30-50 days of dungeons (I almost never do Arah). Else it ‘ll take forever in maps with moving ori points, almost no charged core/lodestone drops (unless in CoE, where with this idea I can sell them now to get more gold and other ppl will craft it for me, if al ppl would do the same all prices would drop I guess)

If all gold/drops are nerfed: then you will have to grind and I’ll leave. No reason why I would play half a year and still not have the mats when I’m playing a game where I want to see some progression. All drops below masterwork are useless anyways. generally drops are bad already and I use 90-95% just for some mats or delete them outright. It’s not worth keeping the grey/white 4-20 copper stuff If I can’t take a fine or masterwork. 120+ slots fill up all to quick…

I never do jumping puzzles except for the one in Cursed Shore or LA, I did all and I don´t see the point sacrificing a dungeon run for 2 blues, 1 masterwork and a few empyreal fragments…
I get 20 fragments each dungeon and delete about a stack a day nowadays. the bosses swamp me with bloodstone dust I delete about a stack a day as well…

Then it leaves the world bosses: well now we know when they´ll start and they´ll be dead ASAP if you are running the GW2 MegaServer Train, with a fast computer you´ll probably get into an instance with max players running the train. GG. My dragonite is secure.

Nothing will change, only for the starters there will be a slight raise of The QoL
And for me well nothing changes.

In the end I only long for 2 things -edit make it 3 things-
a BIG content expansion. = reason to revisit other areas.
a usefull condition system = reason to NOT be Zerk

a more honest way to gain precursors. The present method it not very nice, If I could actively hunt a precursor I’d have a good reason to go to lower level areas.
I long for this game staying fresh , it’s turning stale atm, let’s hope A-net will give it some air and it should, could and will blossom… and flourish again.

In the end, FUN is the main reason to keep playing altogether… Not skins, grinds, nerfs, rebalancing, supermaps or überbosses. I wil overlook a lot as long as I have fun.

And me having fun is part of your income ppl of A-Net… no players = no cash.

Lastly I love the wardrobe/dye sharing. I got almosty every dye (except maybe some of the truly expensives TP ones) unlocked on my 9 toons. I think I’m getting 200+ dyes refunded… So.. Let’s make the game beatiful again.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

It was an update (sort of a feature patch) for Star Wars Galaxies called “New Game Enhancement”.

The NGE is mostly seen as the reason why SWG failed. So putting it in the title makes the whole discussion sort of biased.

Not biased, I have a feeling it more prophectic.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

It was an update (sort of a feature patch) for Star Wars Galaxies called “New Game Enhancement”.

The NGE is mostly seen as the reason why SWG failed. So putting it in the title makes the whole discussion sort of biased.

Not biased, I have a feeling it more prophectic.

AKA biased.

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

A day late to reply to my own thread. Heh. Sorry about that.

Okay, here’s what I think of the whole patch. “Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.”

We wanted a wardrobe? Fine, but it’s going to be painfully expensive to use.

We wanted Underflows? Fine, but they’re non-optional and will screw up waypoints and dungeon access.

We wanted to wear town clothes in combat? Fine, but only some, and at the cost of no more mixing and matching to make our own outfits.

We wanted to stop getting overflowed out of events? Fine, but now they’re on a daily timer that may put some constantly out of your reach. You can trigger the big ones, if your guild is big enough and advanced enough and willing to pay the price.

We wanted two Sigils in two-handed weapons? Fine, but it comes with a rebalance of Runes to deter mix-and-matching for builds, and mix-and-match with them is totally gone in PvP.

We wanted something done about the poor balance of underwater PvP? Fine, the only map that even had water in it is gone. Problem solved.

I see merit to a lot of what they’re doing here, but… I’m not sure if the costs are worth it.

Hah, pretty much what people have been asking for, but not thought through, with some pretty harsh consequences.
Arenanet adds a whole new meaning to the phrase “be careful what you wish for”.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Now that the patch is live and people are seeing it in action, I think it’s worth asking the question again.

Overall, what do you think of the patch?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Now that the patch is live and people are seeing it in action, I think it’s worth asking the question again.

Its essentially a beta again for many of the features, except nothing new and exciting to go with it. Game needs new content, like you would actually really see in an expansion

Posted by: Sambuca.9754

Sambuca.9754

I don’t like having to hunt down the new traits. I like to play solo, but now i have to wait for a group and/or that particular boss in Orr to be available.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I don’t like having to hunt down the new traits. I like to play solo, but now i have to wait for a group and/or that particular boss in Orr to be available.

they probably should have made the trait challenges more personal and varied. Perhaps the big events part should have been an extra option

Posted by: Frink.5169

Frink.5169

To be honest, the whole story gone against my will. I wouldn’t say what my character says, and no options at all, not even the on-skill shouts are selectable… :/
+ The charismatic answers are lies and have no effect on the game at all…
NGE isn’t bad, this isn’t what made SWTOR die.

Well, when the CEO later apologizes for releasing the patch and ignoring the playerbase, then yeah, it kinda was. The first seeds were planted in the CU. NGE was the deathstroke.

On topic – I’m brand new to the game, just started last week. I really can’t offer much of an opinion on anything other than the leveling experience. Currently at level 60 and I’ve found things to be quite smooth with good character progression. With the traits changes, things just seem a tad slower now.

(edited by Frink.5169)

Posted by: bMd.3579

bMd.3579

“New Game Enhancement” Hahah! “Enhancement” – something that makes another thing better.

Oh the irony.

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

Not good? I wouldn’t say it’s as bad as NGE was said to be, but… it’s not good either. I can’t really say it’s improved my overall enjoyment of the game. There’s some alright things but many meh or bad things too.

Old news, but I can sorta see what you mean by “be careful what you wish for.” The only problem is that I never wished for them.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

After trying out the world bosses yesterday, I can say that it’s not
GW2 NGE
but
Rebuild of GW2: You Are [Not] Alone.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Velimirius.7018

Velimirius.7018

Feature pack more like Bugs pack, nothing really works properly and megaservers are just awful, its like with dungs on release when party members would not end up in same instance lol

nice job anet, just wondering are you trying to make a coffin for gw2 or what?

Posted by: thecrius.4290

thecrius.4290

Well, with this mega server thing finaly I was able to do world events where before in my server we were in 4-5 doing it and we failed every time becaose no one wanted to do it.
Now we are more then 300 people from all the servers making it xD

I can only say thank you Anet for let me do world events before I would never complete.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I can only say thank you Anet for let me do world events before I would never complete.

Your mileage may vary.

I can not thank ANet for turning a dynamic world where each person’s effort mattered and an occasional failure was a natural outcome, into a timed mindless zergfest with 100% success rate where half of the players speak different languages and can as well go AFK.

Attachments:

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

I like the fact that I can use my reading glasses as an in-combat helm skin (This is amazing. So amazing.), the rest I couldn’t care less about.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

There is no trait hunting since they add it soo cheap to buy it.I was hoping that i will have reasons to go and do dungeons now (for those traits) but when i saw that its just 3 golds…i didnt want to bother i bought them all.That is only thing about this patch that disappointed me,traits should never been able to be bought or at least not this cheap.Megaserver is awesome as well as everything else in this patch.

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

There is no trait hunting since they add it soo cheap to buy it.I was hoping that i will have reasons to go and do dungeons now (for those traits) but when i saw that its just 3 golds…i didnt want to bother i bought them all.That is only thing about this patch that disappointed me,traits should never been able to be bought or at least not this cheap.Megaserver is awesome as well as everything else in this patch.

1) paying GOLD for traits goes against the no-grind policy that promoted the game in the first place. End game should be interesting content, not revamping the game so that you need to level / fully bring your character to its bets all over again.

2) Dynamic events being turned into dull schedule goes against the no-grind policy and ruins the concept of “dynamic events” that promoted the game in the first place.

3) If you think MegaServer is “awesome”, I conclude that you are not a part of an active server community or cross-server guilds and guild alliances that tackled megabosses.
For some of the many game-breaking aspects of the MegaServer system and the big concerns raised by the core playerbase, please have a look at this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guild-Alliances-on-Upcoming-Patch/first

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

Posted by: Moderator.6840

Moderator.6840

Hi everyone,

Since we are receiving a lot of feedback about these topics, we are gathering it in dedicated threads. You are very welcome to repost your question, comments and concerns in the following discussions, depending on the topic you want to discuss:

This thread is now closed. Thank you for your understanding.