Orr Empty

Orr Empty

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sadatoni.6524

sadatoni.6524

Why is there hardly anyone in Orr any longer? It’s like a ghost town.

Orr Empty

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

Because the Queensdale champ train is probably equally rewarding with less difficulty and minimal effort or thought? Follow a big group of players, press 1 on the champ, sit back for 2 minutes, get loot, follow group to the next champ, rinse repeat.
In orr you get surrounded by huge mobs and downed pretty fast.

(edited by sonicwhip.9052)

Orr Empty

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Because the area’s ugly (pretty in its own way at times, but ugly), unfriendly to casual play, and painfully remote. Add in the fact that you can get pretty much any serious reward from Orr in other zones, and people abandoning the personal story when it gets to the point where you travel towards Orr, and you have people that set foot there with one character, said “forget this”, and never went back with any other characters.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Orr Empty

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

because whenever there are something interesting happen in Orr, some people cry foul, and those interesting activities get nerfed by ANET.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Orr Empty

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

because whenever there are something interesting happen in Orr, some people cry foul, and those interesting activities get nerfed by ANET.

To be fair, if it’s a LS event it shouldn’t be in Orr.

It should be in a lower level zone, to make it accessible to more characters. Not everyone has level 80s, or still enjoys playing the level 80s they have.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Orr Empty

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

QFT

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Orr Empty

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Because there is NO loot in Orr. I’d rather go anywhere else in Tyria. Only in Orr do i kill 20 mobs and get nothing. Oh look, on mob #21 i got a porous bone. yaaaayyyy! It’s the most boring and frustrating zone on the entire map.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Orr Empty

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

because whenever someone exploits events in Orr, some people cry foul, and those interesting activities get nerfed by ANET.

Fixed that for accuracy.

You’re welcome.

Orr Empty

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

aNet nerfed Orr into the ground plus with the DR so instead of farming Orr everyone went to different locations untill the champ loot update so everyone is now farming Queensdale.

Orr Empty

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Only reason to go there is to get Ancient Wood, Orichculum Ore (and a few other truffles and berries) and watch all the bots running around gathering them.

Orr Empty

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

The problem is that Anet made this game vary wrong in terms of exploration which is why entire game suffers and not just Orr,its the same reason why entire Tyria looks dead.First of all they give no reason for people to leave Lions Arch which is way all the people just sit there afk doing nothing.Everything u need to do in GW2 u can do it from LA and the fact that they focused entire game in 1 town is stupid.There should not be “main” town at first place.They should relocate Npcs all over the Tyria so that players should move a lil to get them.Second thing is that there is really nothing much to do once u get lvl 80 and that doesnt require u to be in LA or u can just do it with click on a button.Dont know why they do this,they made amazing job with GW2 but at this point it seems they dont have ideas what to do which is weird since i have like 10+ ideas how to make Tyria alive and not just Lions Arch.Just add duels and people will leave LA and all of those stacking places,duels should be available everywhere on world map just not in towns !

(edited by saalle.4623)

Orr Empty

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Where you get dragonite if orr is empty?

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Orr Empty

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Orr is an evil and forbidding land whose very design is contrived to keep players out.

It appears to be working as designed, if not necessarily as intended.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Orr Empty

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The problems are deep seated. Orr is split into three zones and the areas need to act much more like one zone. Event scaling for challenge and rewards isn’t good enough and it needs to be sorted for all content (scaling open world events should be the crown jewel of GW2 content but they’re not). The final nail in the coffin is the heavy handed loot ‘balancing’ over the last year that pushes players towards different content.

Give rares for auto-attacking world events – people leave Orr for world bosses
Throw gold at people for dungeon runs – people leave Orr for dungeons
Give every champ a purse – people leave Orr for champ trains

Orr Empty

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

because whenever something brings life back into Orr by some offshot event that is completely ignored by everybody, some people cry foul, and those interesting activities get nerfed by ANET. and orr dies once again no help for skillpoints, no help for events, and no help for temples

Fixed that for accuracy.

You’re welcome.

you were horribly off target i put you back on the right track

Orr Empty

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I was completely on target, thank you.

People were intentionally failing events in order to get champion loot, and getting hostile with players trying to legitimately complete them.

The exploiters were 100% in the wrong, and I shed not even a crocodile tear for them. If the option is Orr empty or filled with vile brats, I’ll take the former.

(edited by chemiclord.3978)

Orr Empty

Posted by: Khai.6435

Khai.6435

What kills me; They turn around and “punish” (too harsh a word perhaps but you understand) people for farming one long protracted fight; because it had little risk compared to the reward.

And then, they turn a blind eye to a series of fights; one protracted battle in different locations, but in the same zone, that have little risk compared to the reward.

Make the loot equal the challenge in a sliding scale; for every person who assists on damage reduce the reward “tier”

a raid boss meant to be taken down by 5 level 20’s is an x=100 rated boss.

up to 100-125 combined levels = full reward (potential for exotic or precursor)

Lower the reward range within lower level zones (since you spend less time there) for for grossly exceeding what is required every factor of some percentage; 25-75% That way you don’t get punished by a few people adding in; but it calibrates to take out the zerg factor.

Giving back higher reward range for higher level zones will pull people back into their level equivalent zones.

Orr Empty

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

Just copy/pasting my old post and reply to Colin. In case it is not clear, Orr zones were my favorite. Link to old thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Any-plans-to-bring-players-back-to-Orr/page/3#post2249754

Colin, the problem with Orr is that you guys nerfed it to the ground on your early releases. Let me just share it chronologically on how I remembered it during the release:

1st Month: Awesome place, lots of players, helping each other with events (Zerg at Straits, and groups at Malchor’s, and pushing Arah at CS)

2nd Month: Players complain, the place is full of bot trains, players can’t even tag (Penitent and Shelt). But very viable drops of rare, Plinx is wildly popular due to drops (coins and rares) and starts every 5min or so. Broodmother, Balt Arena and Tar in between. This area almost has no bot due to Broodmother that can be pulled very far away from the spawn location. However, creeping issue about DR started to show, but still awesome.

3rd Month: A few bots remain, then the loot was nerfed down to the ground. Plinxx zerg is far and few, and FotM was introduced. Anet’s decision back then was that “griding those areas are not intended”. Would have been good, but Anet only replaced the grinding/farming with FotM. Events takes way longer to spawn, and lot of wait time happens. I mean, what gives?

4th Month: I personally abandoned Orr. The place I once call home. It was back then, if iirc, that Orr mobs has been nerfed too. Because a lot of players complain of how hard the place is, of how you can’t move an inch without being CCd by enemy (and I posted a video of how doable the place is, even soloing group events prior to nerfing the area). I ran with the other “zerg” to the new farming area: FotM till you drop.

I think whoever thought and designed the original Orr, was somehow removed from the “sustaining” team. The idea of Orr, as Colin described, is to be a harder content than usual, where players can be rewarded. It has achieved that goal back then, on the original release. But it was so nerfed down, either to combat bots, or to appease complaining players, to what it is now.

Orr is now a good activity place for guilds, to do when there’s nothing else do to (i.e World Bosses not spawning) but the meaning is lost. It was awesome to follow the lore back then, being part of the big group to push the fight to the temples. Back then, very few knows that each temples have “wide” impact to the whole Orr zones. That information was reserved to the most astute and persevering players. I remember I will run with a group to push the fight at Cursed Shore, starting at Caer. Of course, the whole chain will culminate with the retaking of Arah.

It was awesome, because along the way, you get a lot of coins, heavy moldy bags, other mats, and of course rares, rares, and more rares. You don’t even have to jump to world bossed to get your fix of rares.

And if players found Orr too hard as their “end game” zone, I will usually recommend Frostgorge Sound. It even has Claw (and no dragon in Orr maps, except for dungeon area).

Colin, you lost your track at Orr. Almost every event, your team will say “Orr is not included” or something similar. Every content, pulled players away from Orr.

This was my post 6months ago: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Anyone-else-miss-their-Orr-runs/first#post849030

TL;DR:
Love new contents that Lost Shore brings, but hate what it took away.
Please bring back the old Orr…

I want the Old Orr. If you can’t, then do what you are saying in your post. Make it hard but rewarding for those who persevere, for those who spend time to learn. You don’t have to make it hard for casual, just make it so that it is “rewarding” to do (rewards can be anything: from good drops, to decent money making, to making events fun, etc). Bring back in your team, whoever designed the old Orr map, and make sure that person gives his full feedback and insight in to what you’re going to implement. I loved Orr, but not anymore. If only you guys can bring back the old Orr…

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

(edited by DeathMetal.8264)

Orr Empty

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

Orr is not empty, there are plenty of bots farming.

Orr Empty

Posted by: Cazio.2137

Cazio.2137

Because the Queensdale champ train is probably equally rewarding with less difficulty and minimal effort or thought? Follow a big group of players, press 1 on the champ, sit back for 2 minutes, get loot, follow group to the next champ, rinse repeat.
In orr you get surrounded by huge mobs and downed pretty fast.

Ugh, I had forgotten that is what GW2 is now. Was just in the process of downloading the game again but what’s the point if nothing has changed? This is the same type of “gameplay” that made me stop playing FFXIV AAR. There, it is “fate grinding” in GW2, it is “champ grinding.” Exact same mechanic, different name.

Orr Empty

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Orr was my favorite portion of the game. I loved the apocalyptic feel and the event chains were some of my all time favorite game (any game, not just GW2) content.

Orr Empty

sadatoni.6524

The biggest problem I see in Orr isn’t the massive number of risen, but with the practical non-existence of players. In SOD last night, there were, as far as I could find, 3 people.

Orr Empty

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

There is nothing wrong with orr. It is the same in other area. Beside maybe the champ farm in 2 zones.

There is just nothing to do in orr beside a few event for ascended material and map completion.

Orr Empty

sadatoni.6524

Therein lies the problem. With no one there, (SOD for instance), there are a few spots that cannot be completed.

Orr Empty

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

THREE people? Are you sure it wasn’t a mesmer with two clones?

Orr Empty

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

There used to be tons of people in Orr and it was easy to find groups, but then ANet drastically nerfed loot (Most notably from temple chests) and changed events, making them essentially unfarmable. At least now you have the one a day reward for temples.

What’s wrong with Orr? ANet screwed it up so the reward in no way reflects the effort, so no one goes there anymore. There are easier and faster ways to make money in this game and when you need such vast quantities of money anything that is easier will draw the majority.

Orr Empty

sadatoni.6524

Could have been. I remember the old Orr. It was fun back then.

Orr Empty

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

For those playing since launch, it’s quite inconceivable to think that a human being can tolerate doing the exact same thing for 16 months.

Orr Empty

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

For those playing since launch, it’s quite inconceivable to think that a human being can tolerate doing the exact same thing for 16 months.

Newlyweds!!!! ’Nuff Said!!

Orr Empty

Leamas.5803

Yet, this is exactly the type of behaviors hardcore players embody. Isn’t repetition essentially what an MMO is all about?

Orr Empty

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Yet, this is exactly the type of behaviors hardcore players embody. Isn’t repetition essentially what an MMO is all about?

That depends on your definition of hardcore. My understanding of hardcore is a player who demands a challenge and seeks to master their tool box to find a solution. Provided that the developer can provide the appropriate sandbox.

Orr Empty

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Would probably still be people there farming karma if pent/shelt wasn’t nerfed multiple times.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Orr Empty

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

There used to be tons of people in Orr and it was easy to find groups, but then ANet drastically nerfed loot (Most notably from temple chests) and changed events, making them essentially unfarmable. At least now you have the one a day reward for temples.

What’s wrong with Orr? ANet screwed it up so the reward in no way reflects the effort, so no one goes there anymore. There are easier and faster ways to make money in this game and when you need such vast quantities of money anything that is easier will draw the majority.

You hit it exactly. You DO need vast quantities of money in this game, in order to do or have anything “of value” or “fun” or asthetically pleasing. You’re not finding that money in Orr. Not by a long shot. I can get 100x the loot anywhere else, and enjoy my playtime way more. I just can’t believe that with the kind of mobs you get in that zone that the rewards are the absolute worst in the entire game. I get better loot in WvW, and let me tell you, that’s saying a lot. Add to that, that I actually enjoy myself while in WvW. No way I’m spending time in Orr.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Orr Empty

Leamas.5803

Would probably still be people there farming karma if pent/shelt wasn’t nerfed multiple times.

For sure there would be. Plinx/Penetent/Shelter/Jofast was my regular run.

Orr Empty

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Yet they let the champ trains continue unabated……. go figure.

Its a reflection of the severely inconsistent direction of the development of the game.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Orr Empty

Leamas.5803

Yet they let the champ trains continue unabated……. go figure.

Its a reflection of the severely inconsistent direction of the development of the game.

Agreed, though they did heavily nerf the champ trains a while back. I think last year, when they nerfed Orr, they still had the idea that they were trying to make a farm free, grind free game. They didn’t want people farming or grinding, they felt it was a negative aspect and really went against what they envisioned for the game. Now, a year later, the gem store more fully entrenched, level 500 crafting and ascended gear which require unbelievable grinding/farming, vertical progression, etc. Would they bother to kill Orr today, like they did last year? I doubt it, they would just try to figure a way to streamline it, control it and monetize it. The champ trains are there to serve a purpose, probably there by design, and to give people a place to farm…a place ANet controls. I typically only do the champ trains for karma and really only when achievements are involved…the repetition kills me.

Orr Empty

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Agree with everything that’s been said.. constant nerfing of Orr, the reward to risk mechanic (I love a porous bones as much as the next guy but it gets pretty tiring seeing them drop sooo frequently off things like vet giants etc.) Add to that the subsequent installation of the easymode champ trains through Queensdale/Frostgorge (I thought increasing XP for farming carrots as you increase in level was silly but providing easy mode lvl80 rare/exo’s in albeit a starter map!! )… ANET simply lack any ideas on how to sustain their Openworld vision like class balances, their map/loot system is equally as poorly balanced.

Ooh and having 99% of WP’s contested permanently in Orr makes me not wanna go back anymore.. I don’t wanna keep running from one end of the map to the other to get back to an event I know will be impossible to solo anyway..

Orr Empty

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

That depends on your definition of hardcore. My understanding of hardcore is a player who demands a challenge and seeks to master their tool box to find a solution. Provided that the developer can provide the appropriate sandbox.

As far as gaming culture goes lately, I’d say “hardcore” refers more to time spent than difficulty sought. Given what’s being provided by developers, that’s kind of a given. There’s more money in time sinks than there is in catering to those who want a challenge — and will want a new challenge once they’ve mastered the old one.

Orr Empty

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

They nerfed Orr into the ground, due to farmers and bots. They introduced diminishing returns, which makes farming there a futile task.

You’re better rewarded elsewhere. Orr is not the place for rewards anymore.

Orr Empty

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Orr is an evil and forbidding land whose very design is contrived to keep players out.

It appears to be working as designed, if not necessarily as intended.

This. ANet said they wanted Orr to feel like a battlefield (why it doesn’t have any hearts so no picking apples), well they succeeded masterfully by having tough (well tough for a new 80), densely packed enemies with a array of stun abilities making running past mobs a not very good idea (particularly in the straits of devastation) making it a pretty much uphill battle to get through.
Players seem naturally to gravitate toward the easier, more rewarding content which is sad since I actually think a lot of effort went into Orr and the players’ negative response has heavily influenced a lot of living world content.

Orr Empty

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Of course they nerfed it because people in the forums were constantly crying that Orr is to easy and you can “faceroll” everything “brain-afk” .. and everything must ne “hardmode” .. and all that stuff

Maybe people should learn to say : “no its perfect, i don’t want hardmode farming” when they like something and others are crying for nerfs just to show the developers that its not the majority that wants nerfs.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Orr Empty

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

I love Orr.
It has the right feel for a ‘land of the dead’, and can still be challenging and rewarding if you spend some time there and get to know the hot spots (this statement excludes temples and Champs, which are rewarding in their own way).
One hour in Orr will easily net me a few gold (again, excluding the above mentioned temples and champs).
For the higher level zones, I place Orr between Frostgorge (easy) and Southsun (curse you Vet Karkas).

Edit – I should point out that a higher Magic Find may also be a factor in my positive opinion of Orr (210 w/consumables and trinkets)

(edited by NoxInfernus.2361)

Orr Empty

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

The main problem with Orr, at least for me, when I first went there was; the fact that most way points are contested, you’d spend time freeing them. Then when you make your way across the map and find another one. That too is contested. You try to flip it, get killed. But the one you flipped previously is now contests again. So you end up having to way point all the way back to the waypoint where you entered the zone. That is the resin I stay the hell away from there.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Orr Empty

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

I don’t know about your server but on Fort Aspenwood we’ve still got plenty of people in Orr every night. It’s not the Cursed Shore Party like it used to be but I certainly wouldn’t call it a ghost town.

There may not be a dedicated farm/exploit at the moment, but there’s still ways to make money here. Doing temple runs pre-to-finish nets you plenty of loot, and gathering is still profitable. Drops from the monsters aren’t that bad either. It’s just not the concentrated champ box factory that everyone has become accustomed to.

99% of waypoints contested is an exaggeration also. No, you can’t go to the temple/Arah WPs unless you take the temple. Yes, a couple other WPs are often contested (let’s ignore Straits for now.) But I assure you that there are enough always-on WPs in Orr to comfortably get you wherever you need to go, with the exception of Temple of Grenth.