Other communities and forums are ignored

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Markus.9084

Markus.9084

Hi everyone !

I want to talk in this topic about non-english speaking players, such as German, French and Spanish…

A lot of players on the forums feel like they just don’t matter anymore. Everything is happening here, and our dear CM are juste basically translators. Oh, wait…. they aren’t even translators, since they need to get an “official translation”, which takes way too long. I mean I’m still at school, and I’m sure I can translate the english dev posts faster than our CM.

To show what’s happenning, here’s an example with the Collaborative Development. In this forum, “Collaborative” makes sense, since devs are often posting and answering, explaining their choice and so on …
On other forums -spanish, french and german-, it seems like “Collaborative” means “Q&A”. We proposed our ideas and our topic. And then, 16 days later, we got this : german, french, spanish, with answers like “it’s not possible” or “it’s too hard to do.”
And that’s it. End of the collaboration for us.

So I have few questions :
- Who on earth needs 16 kittening days to translate a bunch of questions ?
- When devs are about to create a new thread, why don’t they give their text to the other CM in advance, instead of immediately posting on the en forum ?

CM would have time to translate it, and we could react at the same time than the other players, not days or weeks after.

- Why don’t we have more CM ??

I’m French, so I’ll take this example : we have 5 servers dedicated to France (and other french speaking countries as well) : VS, JS, AR, FR, As…. And only 2 CM. Why ??
Of course they’re overworked… We do our best to help them (like this topic), but it’s clearly not enough, and we miss lots of informations.
For example, no CM ever speaks about the Leaderboard reset… and it’s a huge change !

I don’t want to have an instant translation of everything posted here. I know it’s just impossible. But at least the major changes and the thread created by devs !

In summ, the other communities represent 13 servers (VS, JS, AR, FR, As, BB, Riv, Ko, AM, Dz, DL, Ms, ER). Which is 50% of Europeans servers, and 25% of all servers.
There are not only english speakers on Gw. Please give us more CM…

EDIT : good point, MastaNeenja

(edited by Markus.9084)

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

So I just had a quick peek at the french forum, 30 pages in general discussion, the CD thread has 72 posts in it.

German forum 46 pages in general discussion, 127 posts in the CD thread.

English forum – 814 pages in general discussion, 2236 posts.

Btw I am from Europe and live now here in NA – so don’t let this rub you the wrong way – I understand exactly where you come from. I just wanted to show that you can’t say there are only 2 french CM’s and compare that with the volume on the english forum.

It could probably be better, but I think it’s understandable that the communication works the fastest for the dev’s in their own language.

Do the CM’s really translate themselves or is that done by a 3rd party?

Edit: What I saw mostly in the past is that players translated the dev posts for the others, is that not allowed or not the case?

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

A little critique for you my fellow human being on the other side of the planet. Your last sentence is a jab which is something you don’t want to do when asking for help.

I’m one of those ‘muricans and I even find that joke funny and use it when I refer to myself. Unfortunately you have a serious matter on your hands and I was with you as I read through the post; I think that all players deserve the same answers, we the English using community get in their respective native languages. You shouldn’t need to come the English forum and ask for this kind of assistance. So by all means ask for help but if you want to be taken seriously then leave the jokes behind.

Posted by: Markus.9084

Markus.9084

There are maybe more posts on the en forum because people have the feeling to be read and hope that a dev will answer one day ?
We don’t have this kind of hope on the french forum. Tons of thread are left without answers.
The fr community is huge, but prefer to post on other forums like JoL since they don’t feel concerned by the official one.

Btw I don’t ask for the same amount of posts on our forums, I just want that all vital informations posted here by dev or eventually players are transmitted to the other communities. And right now it’s not the case.

Posted by: Stephane Lo Presti

Stephane Lo Presti

Content Marketing Manager, French

Hey Markus,

I’ll reply to the post you created on the French forums, and also lock this thread. This kind of discussion is not appropriate on the English forums (people would not understand for example what role JoL plays in the French community or what kind of interactions we have with the French community). We encourage players to provide feedback but also want everyone to use the right place to discuss each issue, thank you for your understanding!

Thanks.