Outfits vs armor skin sets

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Are we going to see one of these threads every two weeks? It’s getting tiresome.
Stop with the outfit threads. Go find an old one, use a Google search, and just don’t buy the ones that are there.

As it is, if they did make outfits into mix-and-match gear, you wouldn’t even have that many choices for medium or heavy armor wearers, because the armor weight rigs are different. Basically, we’d be inundated with so many cloth options, we couldn’t even come close to using them all.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Are we going to see one of these threads every two weeks? It’s getting tiresome.
Stop with the outfit threads. Go find an old one, use a Google search, and just don’t buy the ones that are there.

As it is, if they did make outfits into mix-and-match gear, you wouldn’t even have that many choices for medium or heavy armor wearers, because the armor weight rigs are different. Basically, we’d be inundated with so many cloth options, we couldn’t even come close to using them all.

Do you post this reply on each every 2 weeks? If it was an issue you cared about I bet you would wouldn’t hesitate to open one of your own.

Some people don’t want to look like everybody else and their brother for having dropped $10 a kick on something that they aren’t likely to wear for longer than 2 weeks anyway.

Serious design flaw that the rigs are all different, this can be fixed with work, and would be easier to monetize afterwards.

Outfits have their place, but now I am seeing more an more outfits crossing into territory that marks them as having possibly been designed as armors originally. This latest set especially, there is nothing about this set that could not be altered to fit on each of the existing armor rigs.

So if people want it as an outfit, let them have it, it’s already here and we don’t need another Flamekissed or town clothes scandal. But when it could be made into armors, this should be done also. And in the future, when something is designed that has no reason to be sold as a 1 piece set (Daydreamer’s Attire), then it should never even be considered for entering the outfit category, and instead should be released solo into it’s appropriate category, or as a single unlock for all 3 armor weights.

Rauderi.8706

Do you post this reply on each every 2 weeks? If it was an issue you cared about I bet you would wouldn’t hesitate to open one of your own.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Searching-the-Forums/first#post4701411

Problem solved. A little research can save a lot of unfriendly backlash.

Serious design flaw that the rigs are all different, this can be fixed with work, and would be easier to monetize afterwards.

A little work? A lot of work? Completely re-hiring the original development team to redesign each and every piece that exists so they all fit pretty and clean together between armor weights?

Unfortunately, that’s not going to happen, no matter how much ghost profit is predicted. Outfits open up development work to 100% of the population, instead of a fraction of those with specific armor weights.

To be honest, I have no problem with extending the existing designs into separate pieces and sold by armor weight. No problem at all. I have a problem with the incessant bite-back that happens every time an outfit is released. Because the argument never changes. This notion of “stop all outfits” is disingenuous and reeks of poor behavior.

So, as has been said in many threads before this one:
ANet, please do release armor sets parallel with your outfits. Those who love to mix and match their gear would very much appreciate it. We even promise not to whimper (too much) about clipping. ( Except for Charr, which you seemingly hate ;_; )

..Okay, so that last part was editorializing, but y’all get the idea. Petition to add things that enhance gameplay, not take them away.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Searching-the-Forums/first#post4701411

Problem solved. A little research can save a lot of unfriendly backlash.

A little work? A lot of work? Completely re-hiring the original development team to redesign each and every piece that exists so they all fit pretty and clean together between armor weights?

Unfortunately, that’s not going to happen, no matter how much ghost profit is predicted. Outfits open up development work to 100% of the population, instead of a fraction of those with specific armor weights.

To be honest, I have no problem with extending the existing designs into separate pieces and sold by armor weight. No problem at all. I have a problem with the incessant bite-back that happens every time an outfit is released. Because the argument never changes. This notion of “stop all outfits” is disingenuous and reeks of poor behavior.

So, as has been said in many threads before this one:
ANet, please do release armor sets parallel with your outfits. Those who love to mix and match their gear would very much appreciate it. We even promise not to whimper (too much) about clipping. ( Except for Charr, which you seemingly hate ;_; )

..Okay, so that last part was editorializing, but y’all get the idea. Petition to add things that enhance gameplay, not take them away.

A lot of work. And they wouldn’t “rehire the original team” so much as set a new group to making a new one.

And again, what’s there is there and not everyone is asking outfits to be discontinued/deleted, I think most people realize they have their place and like you, want to see armor sets thrown into the mixer here also.

My specific beef with this one is as above, so I’ll not repeat it.

And them poor Charr, my Charr Necro was meant to wear the light t3, but when i got it, I saw the tail clipping right out of the legs as if it was some lowbie chainmail armor and was heartbroken for a while. Had to go a long way to get around, but at least now he’s a mean, green killing machine!

Attachments:

Rauderi.8706

My specific beef with this one is as above, so I’ll not repeat it.

And them poor Charr, my Charr Necro was meant to wear the light t3, but when i got it, I saw the tail clipping right out of the legs as if it was some lowbie chainmail armor and was heartbroken for a while. Had to go a long way to get around, but at least now he’s a mean, green killing machine!

Got my feels on the Charr issue. ;_; Try finding a medium coat or heavy legging that doesn’t look utterly terrible and stretched because of the rigging not working the same. “Heartbreaking” might very well be the word for it.
I certainly wouldn’t mind a re-work team to go in there and fix a lot of issues, especially Charr wear in general. Pretty sure it’ll never happen, sadly, but I hope they’ll be willing to do a gradual re-work of assets as the game gets older and more secure.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Sagath.5921

Sagath.5921

I’m not going to put any money to new skins in the trading post until they get rid of the outfits and start to make armor sets again. That just ridiculous to make everyone look the same.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

one thing ppl constantly forget is the part that outfits don’t need to be used over an armor piece, beside the charge cost it’s the part where every time you change armor you don’t have to transmute the armor all over again.

it’s cost efficient, it never changes and you can swap at a moment notice.
sure it has flaws but then again, transmuting armors with charges has the opposite effect.
even while you can change every single piece of armor individually you still need to pay a charge and every time you have better armor you still need to change it back to that style, costing again a charge.

outfits are stationary and can’t be mixed, armor skins are mix-able but cost allot.
it’s on you want you think is more important, cost or mix match.

the only thing i think they do have to do is allow costume headgear and armor headgear viewable regardless of which one you use, if i want to use the ice crown (HoM headgear skin) with the new outfit it would really not be such a huge problem, if anything at all.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Is there some automated response team somewhere, that, when it sees a new outfit in the gemstore, immediately comes and writes a “Stop making outfits” thread?

Because even the title starts to be the same lately.

That’s because it literally is the same title. Original post was three months ago, someone just necro’d it.

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Outfits vs armor skin sets, the truth behind the numbers.

At this moment, there are in Wardrobe:
headgear: 120 light , 114 medium, 109 heavy skins
shoulders: 70 light , 70 medium, 72 heavy skins
chests: 62 light , 61 medium, 61 heavy skins
gloves: 69 light , 68 medium, 67 heavy skins
leggings: 62 light , 61 medium, 61 heavy skins
boots: 63 light , 62 medium, 61 heavy skins
Substract (4 races x 3 tiers) 12 skins from each category.
Result:
(120-12) x (70-12) x (62-12) x (69-12) x (62-12) x (63-12) = 108 × 58 × 50 x 57 × 50 × 51 = 45 523 620 000 unique light armor combinations for each race
(114-12) x (70-12) x (61-12) x (68-12) x (61-12) x (62-12) = 102 × 58 × 49 x 56 × 49 × 50 = 39 772 084 800 unique medium armor combinations for each race
(109-12) x (72-12) x (61-12) x (67-12) x (61-12) x (61-12) = 97 × 60 × 49 x 55 × 49 × 49 = 37 659 444 900 unique heavy armor combinations for each race

You can add some 10^9 for each option, with or without helmet, gloves, shoulders
You can multiply with 112 unique backpack skins
You can multiply with 473 unique colours or 10^xyz combinations of colours.

At this moment, there are in Wardrobe:
Outfits: 21

Maybe I missed some calculation. I apologize, feel free to correct me.

edit1. I found one miscalculation

(edited by Manu.6078)

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

First of all you’re missing the headparts that can’t be obtained anymore and don’t show up in the wardrobe if you didn’t unlock them. If you’re not counting them, then you also can’t count the other armors that can’t be obtained anymore (eg former PvP-exclusive armors).

Also what are you trying to say with these numbers? That there’s less outfits than possible armor combinations? What a surprise, since a single armor-set increases the number of possible looks by way more than an outfit (which is the reason why we want armor-sets in the first place).

Also if I read the clipping-argument one more time I’ll create an armor-combination that clips so badly that your eyes fall out. There’s already so many really bad combinations… Why would ANet care now and only release non-clipping stuff? Let the players figure out what looks good and what doesn’t.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I like both, I prefer outfits.

I would prefer armor skins be attainable in game like they’ve done with the Silverwastes, whereas Outfits are in the gem shop. Eventually, if they do enough great outfits, people will be wearing tons of different ones so the “clone” problem will fix itself….But they need to really try and make great, stylish outfits and some of them have been the total opposite of that.

Posted by: Sagath.5921

Sagath.5921

I like both, I prefer outfits.

I would prefer armor skins be attainable in game like they’ve done with the Silverwastes, whereas Outfits are in the gem shop. Eventually, if they do enough great outfits, people will be wearing tons of different ones so the “clone” problem will fix itself….But they need to really try and make great, stylish outfits and some of them have been the total opposite of that.

If your case would happen, there should TONS of new outfits. Easiest way to make variety to players looks, is to make these outfits into armor sets and let people mix armor themselves. There are few outfits that need to be outfits, like balthazar needs look like balthazar etc. but now Anets trend is just make EVERY new armor set into outfit and force players whom like some parts of them, wear full sets. Only way to look unique with outfit is your backpack and dyes.

(edited by Sagath.5921)

Posted by: Chicna.8296

Chicna.8296

I totally am against the massive utilisation of outfits. Ok, it’s a lot easier to make them, so the benefits are a lot higher, but :

WHERE is the originality ? The creativity of the players is disappearing ! Am I the only to be worried about that ? Now, I have the impression of being in a school where the uniform is the same for everyone.
Ho yeah, we can change the colors…it reminds me the tv series “The teletubbies”, same outfits with different colors…not very attractive in the end.
We will have more outfits in the futur so there will be no differences at all ? Nice, too bad that I won’t be able to create my own style anymore…
There are already tons of armor set in the game to allow me to create armor mixes ? Big deal : the new system will abandon me, letting me gathering dust…

The fact that I can distinguish myself by using my own style is very very VERY important.

I don’t mind if Anet create outfits, but why totally stopping the production of armor sets ? Why not alternate a little ?

(edited by Chicna.8296)

Posted by: BrandonBandicoot.3968

BrandonBandicoot.3968

Outfits were a mistake.

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

i think anet does it so they dont have to code 3 totally unique sets for light medium and heavy. (thats something people complained alot about when they released one set for all 3 and i gata aggree i hated when they did that it ruined the variety of playing unique classes).

but in many ways their solution is even worse, i would buy the blath set if it was ONLY a set of heavy armor that you could mix and match but with a one size fits all full set? i dont want it, too bad it looks cool

Rauderi.8706

My human mesmer showed up to a fractal with the same Noble outfit as human ranger. SCANDALOUS!

She had to go home and change into the Exemplar outfit, to preserve her precious individuality. ..that she proceeded to ruin by making umpteen clones of herself. =P

Many alts; handle it!