PC Gamer poorly reviews Feature Pack 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

I’d say my least favorite change was the weapon unlocks, but honestly it was also my most favorite change. I hated unlocking those later skills on weapons so slowly. On all of my weapons. Ugh. But now it’s a bit like… doesn’t matter what weapon I choose, I’ll have the same amount of progress there. I actually really appreciate that change.

but do you realize the big inconsistency here? Your “contradiction” is not a coincidence

They did put a lock on weapon skills so you can slowly learn how to use each one of them [good concept, bad implementation (IMO) but lets continue]… but if you suddenly change your weapon you get 5 new skills that you have no idea how to use. So… do we get them slower to learn or 5 at the same time cause at lvl 10 we are so cleaver we know how to read 5 tool tips?… but still we can’t read 3 for our utility and need 35 levels!!! to do so?

The new system is a mess with no consistency, so weak in concept that I wonder how it got through approvals inside the company… Does anybody inside ANet ever audits what’s going live? I think they have much bigger issues than a bad patch

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I’d say my least favorite change was the weapon unlocks, but honestly it was also my most favorite change. I hated unlocking those later skills on weapons so slowly. On all of my weapons. Ugh. But now it’s a bit like… doesn’t matter what weapon I choose, I’ll have the same amount of progress there. I actually really appreciate that change.

but do you realize the big inconsistency here? Your “contradiction” is not a coincidence

They did put a lock on weapon skills so you can slowly learn how to use each one of them [good concept, bad implementation (IMO) but lets continue]… but if you suddenly change your weapon you get 5 new skills that you have no idea how to use. So… do we get them slower to learn or 5 at the same time cause at lvl 10 we are so cleaver we know how to read 5 tool tips?… but still we can’t read 3 for our utility and need 35 levels!!! to do so?

The new system is a mess with no consistency, so weak in concept that I wonder how it got through approvals inside the company… Does anybody inside ANet ever audits what’s going live? I think they have much bigger issues than a bad patch

I don’t really have anything to respond to. I like it. Sorry you dont? But you don’t like anything. So… I don’t know?

Attachments:

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

In regards to the weapon unlock – keep in mind this is meant for new players – how is this change better to have all weapon skills unlocked now versus drawing attention to your weapon skills with your “new” (previously not utilized) weapon how it was done until now. It’s not as if you had to kill 100 mobs either to unlock the skills at higher levels.

It doesn’t phase me much personally, but in that regard it does not seem to make a lot of sense.

Of course I understand this from a “veterans” standpoint that has leveled each profession already.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I don’t really have anything to respond to. I like it. Sorry you dont? But you don’t like anything. So… I don’t know?

I like a lot of things but you won’t see me listing them here in the forums, I just enjoy it online. You assume too much with little knowledge. For once, I thought that putting emphasis on the leveling system and add small rewards each level was a great thing! All the rest they did with the skills (and a lot of other things) lock out I find it terrible and unproductive. Against what their arguments were. I don’t think this will ever help a player learn the game. The same text placed at arbitrary levels could’ve been placed without locking the content itself.

That said, whether you like or not doesn’t negate the fact that it is weak and inconsistent. It contradict itself. There is no clear direction on why this was changed. If you accept it just because it has new colors and marks around shiny icons, then you can go ahead, link another cute Asura picture because your are clearly the target for this changes.

Clearly.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Expect more detailed impressions when I’ve had a chance to fully explore the new systems.

he hasnt even tried the new systems yet, and is only commenting on the player reaction.

Posted by: layzoe.6035

layzoe.6035

It’s not an article but more like a blurb. And it’s commenting on the reaction of the community towards the features update. Not really the same thing as a bad review of the game it self but more of an observation by the writer/reporter.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

It doesn’t change the fact that this “feature” patch was so bad that it went viral to a public and popular magazine…

Fact is Anet is focused on new players and this hurts them badly… you guys seriously believe this kind of press doesn’t matter in the eyes of a new player? You think this is going to HELP bring players to this game? heck no, there will hardly be any new players wanting to try out this game now with the forums full of complaints and hardly anything positive coming out of this patch, for both vets and new players alike… both parties were damaged here…

As a vet, the only thing I looked forward to was the class balance so I can finally try to some new builds in PvP/WvW roaming…outside of that, everything else was meh..just a handul of QoL updates that long should have been in this game

Vets are not satisfied and new players are even more dissatisfied lol. Completely dropped the ball on this one…

(edited by SkiTz.4590)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

heck no, there will hardly be any new players wanting to try out this game now with the forums full of complaints and hardly anything positive coming out of this patch, for both vets and new players alike… both parties were damaged here…

Luckily the vast majority of players, both old and new, don’t get on the forums. That’s why all of our speculation about what new players think or will think or may have thought at one point mean nothing. The new players that get on the forums will likely see all of the complaints and could possibly choose not to play because of it. But honestly, how many people do you think that is? Since you’re on the forums, clearly you are a forum dweller, like I am, so you may get on the forum of any new MMO you play, like I do, but if you are like me, you don’t base your opinion on other peoples’ opinions. You read them, consider them, and then make your own bloody opinion after playing the game.

Negative comments on the forums will have little to no impact on the majority of people playing the game.

All it will do is cause us forum dwellers that have similar opinions to band together and attack the evil forum dwellers that have the opposite opinion.

We see it every day here on As The Forum Turns.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Link

“The point, supposedly, is to make it easier for new players. I’m not sure withholding the game’s most tactical combat options is the best way to do so—especially when the increasing number of account bound systems would suggest a desire to encourage existing players to create alternate characters.”

Complaints from the community are one thing. Bad reviews from large commercial entities can be a death sentence for getting new players interested.

Good, I hope anet actually listens to these bad reviews because they have already proven they don’t care about our “vocal minority” opinion.

Posted by: Jinroh.4251

Jinroh.4251

I have a feeling they don’t care. They are just gonna keep going with a few good ideas and a heap of bad ones.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Maybe this will get their attention.

I seriously doubt it since “they” are nothing more than a puppet on strings being controlled by another entity.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

There are definitely bugs and some external miscommunication with the system and I want to listen some more before discussing.
Chris

This is interesting.

Chris is saying there has been external miscommunication about the new system. Could it be that you guys realize you went too far with the removing of functions and level gating it too extreme, and it was not supposed to dumb down the game quite this much?

Hi Traveller,

No not really. I m referring to some videos etc that aren’t quite factually correct in all areas and thus there are some misconceptions being propagated by those that have not played the through NPE yet.

Chris

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

Maybe this will get their attention.

I seriously doubt it since “they” are nothing more than a puppet on strings being controlled by another entity.

Lol.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I would like to see the metrics from these people: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/media/awards/

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

This is more a comment on the fan’s reactions. I don’t think anyone at PC gamer tested it. They certainly didn’t say they did.

Ofcourse they don’t say it u whiteknight.
When I read a review on a gamesite and I don’t see anything where they litteraly tell that they played the game, then man, I won’t take that review seriously!!!

Dude, your white knighting is losing its touch.

He’s not a white knight. However, I can’t state my opinion of what he really is, since I’ll get an infraction again. Just bear in mind that he is able to actively defend the game for at leastt 8 hours a day (check his posting history) and does to on every thread, with a PR-esque demeanor.

You can honestly like something that others don’t without it having a nefarious and dishonest purpose. :/

Hey, what’s this? Reasoned response in the GW2 forums?

. . . oh Dwayna it really happens . . .

By the way, your suspicions, Templar? Definitely remind me why I hate debating tactics these days. Why actually discuss the topics on hand when you can just cast doubt on your opponent’s credibility?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

Wow, I didn’t know we were complaing that much to warrant a gaming site to picked it up.
Heh someone over there make a good point in the comment. Remember that manifesto trailer when one of the team say how boring it is to swing a sword over and over again. Guess what, that’s what we are exactly doing in the dumb down start of the game now!

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Wow, I didn’t know we were complaing that much to warrant a gaming site to picked it up.

Slow news day. Or easy target which doesn’t hit back. You take your pick.

Heh someone over there make a good point in the comment. Remember that manifesto trailer when one of the team say how boring it is to swing a sword over and over again. Guess what, that’s what we are exactly doing in the dumb down start of the game now!

We were doing that already through most of the game. “Autoattack Skill #1 and AFK” has always been the joke about how to play the game since day zero.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

If you’re following the general news, the pundits desperately need to build some goodwill and cred right now.

Posted by: HandOfKane.5409

HandOfKane.5409

This is certainly possible, yes. On the other hand, it is also certainly possible that much of the criticism is warranted, with no external motive behind it.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

This is certainly possible, yes. On the other hand, it is also certainly possible that much of the criticism is warranted, with no external motive behind it.

Oh I didn’t say it was unwarranted. I just said it’s more likely someone needed to dash out a column with little to no time left and picked something simple they didn’t need to do much on other than just collect some reactions and cobble it into something they could sell to the editor.

Gaming news can have worse quality control than tabloid rags.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I don’t think the game needs any of these so called ‘collections’. At a time when other great multiplayer games are being released, not adding exciting new content to GW2 (that would make players happy) will surely lead to an earlier demise.

New content:
1. More skill choices (for each weapon)
2. More traits (a trait tree or trait network)
3. More weapon combinations

Even adding the ability to save current weapon/armor setup as templates would have been a HUGE improvement to QOL…

Collections actually make the game more fun for those people who would like more activities outside of combat. Rift is a great example of how collections should be done and people stick with Rift because the collections system there is so great.

The only thing they should have done instead of limiting the aspects of leveling an alt would have been to remove the enormous cost for traits. They could have taken it a step further and made sigils/runes available from Karma vendors to finally at long last stop punishing people in PVE who would actually like to experiment a little. They could have even made exotic/ascended gear elastic so that people could actually respec without buying gold.

I’m honestly shocked that another publisher is actually saying something negative. What does that make 2 now and the first one wasn’t even about the terrible loot/economy they were just talking about precursors.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

This is more a comment on the fan’s reactions. I don’t think anyone at PC gamer tested it. They certainly didn’t say they did.

Ofcourse they don’t say it u whiteknight.
When I read a review on a gamesite and I don’t see anything where they litteraly tell that they played the game, then man, I won’t take that review seriously!!!

Dude, your white knighting is losing its touch.

Vaynes right, either you are exagerating or need to reread the article:

Title: Guild Wars 2’s September Feature Pack now live, draws criticism from community.

The article is just informative about how the community feel as the tile said. The only opinion the autor give is:

“Im not sure withholding the game’s most tactical combat options is the best way to do so—especially when the increasing number of account bound systems would suggest a desire to encourage existing players to create alternate characters”.

Thats not a review. Finally, this explain that isnt a review in a very easy way to understand:

“Expect more detailed impressions when I’ve had a chance to fully explore the new systems.”<<< Final sentence in the article.
He cant review it if he just scratched it.

Since you guys are the sort of the search for information folk, it surprise me you didnt read it properly.

And Illuminaty, dont try to bite Vayne lol.

(edited by Lucius.2140)

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

It’s a mixed review that mostly comments on how the community is receiving the feature pack.

In fact, at the bottom, he says he will post a full review later.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Memphys.9428

Memphys.9428

Feature Pack 2 = Fail

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Link

“The point, supposedly, is to make it easier for new players. I’m not sure withholding the game’s most tactical combat options is the best way to do so—especially when the increasing number of account bound systems would suggest a desire to encourage existing players to create alternate characters.”

Complaints from the community are one thing. Bad reviews from large commercial entities can be a death sentence for getting new players interested.

I’m reading more and more negatives from the magazines/websites/blogs that once reviewed the game positively at its premiere.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

I think I’m done with this game for a while, I seriously think they have some people who don’t play games making the shots.

Posted by: Gilles VI.2149

Gilles VI.2149

I’m hoping more of these negative reviews from big gaming press will open Anets eyes, as they are certainly not listening to their playerbase…

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

From the review:

A mixed pack, then—one with some genuine improvements, but hampered by potentially off-putting systems.

Can’t disagree, that’s pretty much what I stated in my own “review” I posted here and on Reddit.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

This patch broke more for me than it introduced or fixed stuff.My leaps are broken,stomping is broken,lower fps,the ridiculous adrenaline nerf,interaction is broken,the siege disabler in WvW is ridiculous..etc etc.
Atm playing this game is nothing but a frustation.

To be completely honest,the ONLY reason i am still logging in is because of the people i know..Not because this game is great and that im enjoying every second of it,because i really dont..imo every patch its going down the hill,and this patch is just..@$^&$Q#W^*!

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

That is NOT a review. That is simply a commentary from someone who admitted he hasn’t fully explored all the feature pack has to offer.

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

I wonder if Wooden Potatoes and Matt Visual will have the testicular fortitude to speak honestly about this update.

If WoodenPotatoes approves of this patch, I’m unsubscribing from his channel. I can’t take anyone who defends this patch seriously unless they’ve only been playing level 80’s and they haven’t tried starting a new character. This new patch is a poorly thought out, badly designed, buggy mess.

Posted by: HandOfKane.5409

HandOfKane.5409

Oh I didn’t say it was unwarranted. I just said it’s more likely someone needed to dash out a column with little to no time left and picked something simple they didn’t need to do much on other than just collect some reactions and cobble it into something they could sell to the editor.

Ahh yes, go into theories about “ulterior motives.” How constructive.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Ahh yes, go into theories about “ulterior motives.” How constructive.

Ah, yes, ‘Reapers’, we’ve already dismissed that…

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I wonder if Wooden Potatoes and Matt Visual will have the testicular fortitude to speak honestly about this update.

If WoodenPotatoes approves of this patch, I’m unsubscribing from his channel. I can’t take anyone who defends this patch seriously unless they’ve only been playing level 80’s and they haven’t tried starting a new character. This new patch is a poorly thought out, badly designed, buggy mess.

WoodenPotatoes approves of some aspects of this patch, as I recall he thought the changes the lower levels were not all that great and even thought some of them were “huh?” moments. What he was specifically liking were collections, backpacks, updates to the maps and quest direction finders, ui updates mainly and the additions to the wardrobe.

But I feel yeah, when they announced Fractals and Ascended, and they silently implemented the first wave of nerfs to loot in the open world environment and added DR nothing but positives from everyone. Matt Visual, WoodenPotatoes, everyone was all on drugs or something on how wonderful DR will be at eliminating Bots. Here it is 2 years later and DR hasn’t removed a single bot to date AND on top of that they’ve nerfed loot to the ground even further since. You can imagine my surprise then at anyone in the press actually saying anything at all negative about the game at this point.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)