please change the leveling back, please

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Scowny.1654

Scowny.1654

I can’t even begin to describe how sad, disappointing and honestly confused I am at this “feature pack”. You have ruined leveling. It’s that simple. Here is a list of what I believe is wrong with the new leveling system:

- Unlocking weapon skills at various levels rather than unlocking them as you get kills feels so weird. For example, I love the Longbow Skill 5 on Ranger, it’s just an amazing skill and seeing it for the first time I thought “WOW, that’s an epic skill”! However, I now have to wait until level 10 to get this skill, something which I got at level 3 when I bought a Longbow off the TP to see what it would be like. It’s ridiculous
- Unlocking the ability to explore Vistas, Points of Interest and Skill Points at certain levels rather than as soon as you begin exploring the beautiful of Tyria is perhaps the most bizarre addition of the leveling changes. I guess seeing these pop up on the screen at level 2 gave every other newcomer apart from me a fright and confused them . I want to look at these vistas and see how amazing the game looks, I want to see these Points of Interest and I want to unlock Skill Points to buy new and exciting Utility skills without having to reach a certain level. Speaking of skill Points…
- Unlocking Utility skill slots AT EVEN LATER LEVELS THAN BEFORE THE PATCH is pointless. I was so frustrated when I first got the game that I couldn’t use Elite Skills until level 30 because they sounded so cool and I wanted to use them but I understood the purpose of locking them behind levels as you don’t want to overwhelm the player with lots of slots which the player can’t obtain yet as they lack skill points. But unlocking slots skills even later than before is ridiculous.
- Unlocking the ability to swap weapons to level 15!?!? What!?!? Swapping weapons is what GW2 unique and swapping between my Greatsword and my Hammer on my Guardian when I hit level 7 was awesome and I loved the idea of having a new set of skills to replace my Greatsword every 10 seconds was amazing. Now, new players have to wait until level 15 before they can even do that which is such a shame considering how good of a feature Weapon Swapping is.
- Gathering unlocked at level 9 is absurd as when I started the game, interacting with the Copper Ore and Harvesting Plants felt smooth and exciting as I could turn these into items to either sell or use when I got to a high enough level. Now, players literally have to wait until a certain level before they even gather materials for crafting (Which I have to wait until level 12 to actually start doing despite there being items which I can use at lower level) or selling. Speaking of selling…
- TP, PvP, WvW, Guild Panel, Wardrobe and many other examples of UI are locked until a certain level. You really must think people coming into the game are babies or something because to lock the ability to sell items on the TP before you reach a certain level is absurd because I remember at level 5 collecting Vanilla Beans in Caledon Forest and selling them for a couple of silver when I bought the game.
- Salvaging is locked until level 12 will confuse new players more as they will have lots of items which they don’t know what to do with (especially since you can’t Bank Items until level 9 or Sell items on the TP until level 17) and it will cluster their inventory meaning they might discard the item or sell it to a merchant, something which they probably shouldn’t do.
- Jumping Puzzles unlocked until level 21. No Words…
- The stats gains which are only available to specific levels are possibly the worst change of them all. http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2fyyi5/gated_base_stats_in_level_rewards_broke_the/
This link explains all that is wrong with the stat changes as I believe this person explained it better than I could.

There are so many more points I could mention but I believe, hopefully, that ANet has seen the point and, if not, here are some other posts with problems about the new leveling changes:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2fzsqf/there_are_no_words_for_how_bad_the_leveling/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2g02mx/the_personal_story_doesnt_make_sense_since_the/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2g04i7/how_a_player_of_about_2_weeks_feels_about_todays/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2fzl33/i_feel_sorry_for_the_newer_players/

*Note, Please do not spam this thread with +1s and so on. Leave constructive criticism (either of my post, in case I got something wrong, or the new changes) or anything you might want to add related to the new leveling changes.

(edited by Scowny.1654)

Posted by: RubberDougie.2750

RubberDougie.2750

Plus 1, verily, I do sayeth.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Welcome to the real world, where people who are good at things have to suffer through inconveniences so that businesses can cater to the MAJORITY of their customers who are NOT good at things.

Silver Lining: Your inconvenience means you are better at this game than the average person who needs all the handholding.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

Welcome to the real world, where people who are good at things have to suffer through inconveniences so that businesses can cater to the MAJORITY of their customers who are NOT good at things.

Silver Lining: Your inconvenience means you are better at this game than the average person who needs all the handholding.

It’s insulting to the average player to assume they are drooling idiots that cut themselves on their keyboards, or that they can’t handle pushing more than 5 keys on said keyboard.

It’s also an insult to the customers that paid for a product that now has an age restriction of 3 years old. I paid for an MMO called GW2, not a Fischer-Price play set.

mtpelion.4562

It’s insulting to the average player to assume they are drooling idiots that cut themselves on their keyboards, or that they can’t handle pushing more than 5 keys on said keyboard.

It’s also an insult to the customers that paid for a product that now has an age restriction of 3 years old. I paid for an MMO called GW2, not a Fischer-Price play set.

The only people who should be insulted are those who don’t know enough to be insulted.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Yep. Plus 1 to the opening post.

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

Anet wants to cater to extremely bad players. They’re trying to bring it more people who’s main games are “Candy Crush” or “Farmville.”

These are the people you see walking around WvW who can barely even rotate their character properly.

I’ve never played an MMO in my life and was perfectly fine with how the game was when it was released. I learned everything in a few hours. It wasn’t even remotely close to being in the same universe as “confusing” or “difficult” to learn. In a few days I was destroying everyone in PvP.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

1. Do you really think the majority that play this game are just “bads”?
2. Do you really think this apparent in your mind majority of bads wanted these changes?

Let’s keep the pressure and scorn where it belongs, on the decision makers. Those who pushed it live.

All I can say is……was levelling my 17th Character to 80, she was level 79 and had 2 bubbles to go when the “Update in 1 hour” message came up. I made kitten sure she was 80 well ahead of time. I felt and knew the changes coming would end my feeling to make any more alternates. I have deleted 7 of my 80s over the course of this game’s life and I won’t be making any more.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Lexan.5930

Lexan.5930

i can understand limiting skills per level, i kind of like this because it gives me more time to actually know how a skill works. Limiting exploration and in game mechanics such as wvw and pvp is a bad idea.

limiting exploration is a terrible idea. Being able to go in a direction or explor the map how you want to is why GW2 is so much fun. Anet you really need to consider changing the exploration back to more free and open, regardless if your trying to force people back to lower lv area’s.

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

The only people who should be insulted are those who don’t know enough to be insulted.

No, because they then warrant it even more. The only way for people to do better is to have their flaws exposed either by making mistakes, giving them challenges to overcome, or by having someone else point it out, all so that they can work on improving themselves. All this handholding and coddling is only going to create worse players, not better ones. I cannot for the life of me see a new player who just hit level 40 and decided to try PVP, only to be completely hammered into the ground by every player they came across, even lower ranked ones, because their whole GW2 career consisted of handholding, babysitting, and spoonfeeding.

ANet needs to read some Nietzsche and put down their copies of Frankfurt School-inspired literature.

mtpelion.4562

No, because they then warrant it even more. The only way for people to do better is to have their flaws exposed either by making mistakes, giving them challenges to overcome, or by having someone else point it out, all so that they can work on improving themselves. All this handholding and coddling is only going to create worse players, not better ones. I cannot for the life of me see a new player who just hit level 40 and decided to try PVP, only to be completely hammered into the ground by every player they came across, even lower ranked ones, because their whole GW2 career consisted of handholding, babysitting, and spoonfeeding.

ANet needs to read some Nietzsche and put down their copies of Frankfurt School-inspired literature.

Forcing people to be better does not sell games. Making things easier expands your potential market share.

You can go to ANY game series and see the exact same evolution.

I’m not saying I like it. I’m saying that this is an old story that will never change because game developers are businesses and businesses exist for the exclusive purpose of generating revenue. If you can make a change that will tick off 20% of your current customers but add 60% more customers, you are going to make that change every single time.

Posted by: Amaraee.5680

Amaraee.5680

I saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UWu6YL4F8 … Do you really have to wait until level 8 to unlock underwater combat? Wait, what? Did they remove the Skelks near this event? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bring_foul-smelling_underwater_plants_to_Lunt I’m at work so I haven’t seen.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

i do not believe any human being requires this level of handholding

imma go wake my cat up and see what she can do with it

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

For the most part, I like the feature patch, but I do agree that the changes to leveling are a mistake.

I still remember starting the game and leveling two years ago. It was not confusing or grindy. It was a fun experience that did a good job of teaching me the basics while still offering a bit of an early challenge.

This new change feels really out of place and overdone. I know it’s probably too late, but they need to strongly consider reverting some of these changes (most notably the skill lockouts and dumbing down of low level mobs) back to the way they were before.

Also – by dumbing down the early level zones, you effectively made the world we can play in at 80, while still enjoying the game, considerably smaller. That is reminicient of MMOs like WoW (where low level zones are a joke when you reach max) and was NEVER supposed to be part of GW2.

mtpelion.4562

I take it you have never worked in customer service then…
:p

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

IT.

/fifteencharacters

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Tyrantis.8640

Tyrantis.8640

this sarcastic video says it all.

This is freaking ridiculous and I am not looking forward to buying a new character slot any time soon.

C’mon ANet. You took something that works and complicated the hell out of it and made it worse to those that liked how it was. Why even do this crap?

Objective?

My thoughts are to roll back this crap ASAP. It’s just not better than what it was.

Posted by: JohnnySupernova.9182

JohnnySupernova.9182

Nah. There are no “bad players” that anet is trying to teach. It’s just to make leveling more tedious. It really is just a new grind to distract players away from the fact that there really is no new content coming.

Like, really, downed state is kitten near ubiquitous in FPS, and there’s some mystery majority of players that can’t understand it? Really??

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

I completely agree.

I just came back to GW2 last month, bought gems for two new character slots and started to level the two professions I haven’t had maxed out.

I got one to 70 so far but the other is still lvl 3. And these changes to the leveling experience heavily discourage me from playing that lvl 3 character. Seriously ArenaNet, that was a horrible idea. Stuff like that has to be beta tested, or, at the very least, made optional.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: Mala.3861

Mala.3861

I used almost the same words as the OP. Words can not express how sad I am about the changes in leveling. Leveling alts and obsessively playing lowbies are things I love about this game. Last night I started a new one to try out the new features. I was faced with the gut-wrenching reality that my favorite part of the game has been taken from me.

Was the goal to make leveling extremely boring and tedious? Well done.

I was told last night: Changes always happen, you have to adapt.

My answer to this is: It’s like being told we no longer have ice cream. Here, have some liver. Adapt.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

so they made level 1-15 “quicker”, but took away some major experience gains.

vistas/skillpoints/gathering

kitten?? Who thought this was a good idea?

I don’t mind weapon locks really, ….it’s just dragged out a little. But locking out actual experience gains.

So players have to like walk around a map twice? (as if mapping per alt, wasn’t bad enough ….)

So can’t just create a character and just map the towns for transmutation stones anymore. Got to level first.
Anet is doing their best to make it very hard/long to farm gemstore items it seems.

though I really don’t understand the gathering and skill challenege lock.

well people complained about leveling too quickly in this game and not feeling progress while you leveled. Fixes both problems…lol..while also being extremely borring and annoying.

(edited by Taygus.4571)

Posted by: Doomfrost.5728

Doomfrost.5728

I just came back to look at the new system. Holy toast on a stick it’s horrible. What other MMO’s have this kind of system because I’m honestly confused as to why they would do this.

Taygus.4571

thanks for the video link.

I am LMAO here, love it!! XD

Posted by: Sirge.8934

Sirge.8934

What’s more, I really don’t think this system will make it “easier” for people to learn to play the game.

While leveling, I played a necromancer with a ton of HP and toughness. I got in the unfortunate habit of not moving much in combat, as very few things could kill me. At later levels, this was a very difficult habit to unlearn.

I feel it will be the same with these new systems as well. Weapon swapping is integral to Guild Wars 2(other than ele). I imagine that, if someone spend the first 15 levels of the game without swapping weapons, it’ll be even more difficult to factor it into their gameplay strategy than just starting with it at level 1. Even worse, they may be in the mindset of only occasionally switching their weapons.

Same goes with downstate. Yes, downstate is tricky to learn, because when someone first goes into it, they realize they’re on the edge of death and start panicking. But seeing as its a core part of the game, wouldn’t it be better to have players comfortable with it from the getgo? It’s going to be confusing no matter what level you learn it at.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t mind weapon locks really, ….it’s just dragged out a little. But locking out actual experience gains.

So players have to like walk around a map twice? (as if mapping per alt, wasn’t bad enough ….)

So can’t just create a character and just map the towns for transmutation stones anymore. Got to level first.
Anet is doing their best to make it very hard/long to farm gemstore items it seems.

well people complained about leveling too quickly in this game and not feeling progress while you leveled. Fixes both problems…lol..while also being extremely borring and annoying.

I was getting vistas and POIs from level 2. They just don’t show on the map.

Taygus.4571

they still count then?/get experience for them? can you finish say LA and get map reward at the end?

Posted by: Novalitus.7382

Novalitus.7382

Wow I cant believe they made those changes to the leveling experience.

Are they trying to ruin this game or what?

Posted by: Jedisa.9513

Jedisa.9513

I really don’t like the gating either. It takes what was fluid learning experience and breaks it down into forced steps. And strung out. I was dismayed to find out there is no underwater combat at all at first…that was one of the funnest things about learning the game. Diving into the water and being able to fight. Now there is an empty lake in Metrica and no skills. Rally heal not being interupted is awesome. But more skill blocking based on level. Can’t access skill points that are right in front of me in a level 1-5 area. How about move them if you mean to deny people the right to use them.

Still not a fan of the trait system either. Really, the whole system seemed much better on release. Some of the changes are needed…like Rally heal was a worthless skill and now it’s actually able to save you. But others feel heavy handed.

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

An Error Prevented Saving:
Flood Control: Please wait 1800 seconds between posts!

Even if Anet is trying to cater to new players, they did a poor job.

Extensive tutorials would have been a far better choice than mere level gating.

This doesn’t help new players at all – maybe it pushes people into the gem store? I’m not sure how though……..

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

they still count then?/get experience for them? can you finish say LA and get map reward at the end?

I have no idea if you can finish the LA map, but I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to. You can walk through the gate, certainly cause I did. And I did get both POIs and vistas. Yeah it should work.

I’d have to test it.

Taygus.4571

I have no idea if you can finish the LA map, but I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to. You can walk through the gate, certainly cause I did. And I did get both POIs and vistas. Yeah it should work.

I’d have to test it.

If you can still map, then it’s no so bad. Wish anet could make the game know the difference between someones first character and second.
Have all these limits on the first, but not an alts.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Well maybe soon we will get a scroll in the cash-shop for only 400 gems that boost you to level 40 or that will undo the limitations?

Posted by: JOO TOO.5193

JOO TOO.5193

I think rebalancing things wasn’t such a bad idea, but with this much early level gating, what are new players supposed to do? How are they supposed to find this fun? all you can do as anything less than level 10 is run around the starter maps and grind out half of map completion, and you’ll be forced to backtrack to pick up all those skill challenges and vistas that were level restricted when you passed by them the first time. Even after 10, you’ll still be mostly stuck with running map completion to get out of the level hole. The only people who seem to enjoy this change are the very veteran MMO players who thought that leveling was too fast, and enjoy grinding, and even they weren’t that set on it. Everyone else seems to be in an uproar over this, including everyone I know, I really think this change is VERY UNFRIENDLY to people who haven’t played MMOs before, or did and hated the grind. This new system would’ve turned me off when I first started this game.

Posted by: DeadHedgehog.6217

DeadHedgehog.6217

I agree with the OP. The weapon skill progress allway sfelt somewhat unique and made sense, the more u use a weapon the better you are. The biggest issue i have with the change however is that i’m now forced to wait until level 10 to effectivly use my weapons something i was able to to within the first half hour of the game ( i usually went directly to the Actuion house and bought the weapontype that i wanted and then grinded a bit to get the skills).
Now i come bakc after a few months playing different things wanting to make a new character and BAM RUINED. seriously what where you thinking? You turned one of your unique things and ‘mainstreamed’ it because what? Others do that too? Hmm maybe diversity is the reason why peopel choose this MMO and not every other one. I’m glad that you didn’t took away the skills from my chars that i already have ARG.

Fix that ASAP, you just turned interesting combat into stupid 1 button mashing contests. What’s with characters thaat build upon diversity like mages or engineers? do they jsut get thei standart range attack? Yeah because you will survive as a mage vs BAMs with just a fireball. THanks arena i was in the mood for guildwars and ou backstabbed me -.- and i will not buy an addon aslong this is not fixed.

This patch was as needed as changing the guns in ET to radios.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

Do you really think the majority that play this game are just “bads”?

I know I do.

*runs away and hides *

Also nice necro to the guy above me.

Posted by: GuzziHero.5104

GuzziHero.5104

Wait…

I had never played an MMO’RPG’ before, and I have high functioning autism, and I never needed the NPE or April Megafailpatch changes. Everything I needed to know I asked in chat and got great community feedback and help. Not all of us idiots need NPE!

So there you go, Anet. The people you say you made NPE for – you are saying they are worse than a middle aged fat autistic noob. That’s how dumb NPE is.

After AMFP, I call GW2 ‘The Fisher-Price My First MMO’ :p

(edited by GuzziHero.5104)

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

NPE was the biggest waste of dev time in the history of MMO’s and one of the worst patches and changes GW2 has seen(dhumfire patch was just as bad).