POLL: Do you like the new Watchwork Pick?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Alukah.2063

Alukah.2063

The animation isn’t that good but I bought it anyways.

Nothing else to do with gold.

Posted by: Shakkara.2641

Shakkara.2641

They ruined the tools I paid for previously, so I hate the new ones.

So then any time a new model of the car you drive comes out then you clearly must feel it ruins your current car. At least with your backwards logic anyway.

Example: my model year Audi did not have parking assist (back up beeps), literally the next year’s model has that standard. Should I now be able to take my car back to the dealership and demand a refund because now this new model ruined my old one? Big ole NOPE on that one. Car does what I bought it to do. It doesn’t matter if I tell them “well if I had known that the next year’s model would have parking assist I would have just waited to buy that one!! WAAAAAHH”

It’s the same exact situation here.

Not at all.

First, if you see a new, better car, you can still sell your old car and get (part of) the money back. Not the case with the obsolete picks.

Second, and that’s really the most important question, is planned obsolescence a desirable feature to have in the cash shop? I’d say, NO. I do my best to avoid this in the real world already (I do not purchase ANY good that rapidly loses value – I purchase a 30 year old car that I can sell for the same money, use a 7 year old phone, etc). The gem shop picks main advantage was that it offered the player peace of mind that he’d never have to buy new tools… but now he has to buy better tools in the gem store, only a few months.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I love the new mining pick. I bought it because I wanted it and realized after oh hey, sprokets!

I can use the sprokets to make myself armor and stuff but as the insignias/inscriptions and finished products are account bound, I don’t see the issue.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

I love the new mining pick. I bought it because I wanted it and realized after oh hey, sprokets!

I can use the sprokets to make myself armor and stuff but as the insignias/inscriptions and finished products are account bound, I don’t see the issue.

The sprockets isn’t the issue. The issue is that this item seems like a tester, a precursor for things to come, a precedent being set and we are the focus group.

Some of us unknowingly, some of us apparently know and don’t like it and some of us know, but live in the present and don’t see the big deal or future repercussions for actions made now.

Some of us know and accept anything given to them. Some of us don’t see where this could head and frankly couldn’t care less.

Some of us wishes that this was actually a full on p2w model and support all efforts made in that direction. Some of us wish that this was a sub model and don’t support the cash shop at all.

Anyway, once again…the issue isn’t the sprockets. That part of the equation could be anything.

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

The previous pick was advertised as “The last pick you’ll ever buy”, so best in slot for all eternity. And it was priced accordingly, as for a full set of them you’d almost pay the price of a full game.

- I’d hate myself for wasting my money like that. No benefit whatsoever. Anet just decided that you can’t use picks forever. Then they gladly sell you the solution to problem that they themselves caused: fork some money for gathering tool without arbitrary restrictions. Oh wait, three gathering tools. Now they’re just messing with you: a better gathering tool is out and no refunds from your previous purchase. Some great con artistry right there. The question is will you give them money again?

Posted by: Darkoray.4570

Darkoray.4570

Pay2win means u pay actually money.

Gold to gems destorys the Pay2Win motif, because you dont need to pay.

I dont understand why people keep saying its Pay2Win, when u can Grind2Win also.

There is no pay2win….

Because even if you have the ability to grind2win you Shouldn’t make it pay2win. Grind is all up to the individual and any player can do. Pay2win is all about someone’s wallet and not everyone can do that.

Posted by: Kyron The Wise.6507

Kyron The Wise.6507

Lets look at a few things here.

First: The Gem Store is, aside from people’s first time purchase of the game and server transfer fees, Anet’s ONLY source of income from GW2.
Addendum: Gems also serve as an important economic tool in removing gold from the supply when people purchase them with G, as does the TP fees.

Second: Since the Gem Store is an important source of income, Anet needs to incentivize the items that are there. This means, in some way, they must be better than what can be bought in game. So far, this has been in the form of things like cosmetics, minis, upgrades, fun tools, and, in this case, unlimited use gathering tools.

Thus far, these picks have only been used because they are cool looking, and have the inifinite uses. This has not really been a problem for most people.

What seems to get everyone’s kitten into a ball of yarn is the fact that this new pick has a chance to gain sprockets. Not the fact that the pick is infinite, and thus you won’t be needing to buy new picks every now and again, but that it MIGHT give you some sprockets. From what I gathered while looking through this thread, it’s because people are thinking this is a sign of doom, gw2 is going to be p2w, etc.

The presence of the pick is going to keep the price of sprockets LOWER than if the pick wasnt there. The more ways there are to get something, the higher the supply, the cheaper its going to be.

Again, this pick hasn’t really changed the game to p2w. The only advantage you get is a chance for sprockets, which can also be gained from the sprocket node if you completed Origins of Madness. As you can gain the same advantage by using free in game items, its not a p2w.

(Insert line about being able to change G into Gems here)

Also, how on Earth does a pick that might give you sprockets herald a booster for increased ecto or precursor drop rates?

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

i don’t care about the pick but i rather hate the implications within.

Posted by: Justice.3608

Justice.3608

I dont think this is pay2win @all… it’s the same as buying extra boosters from the gemstore, or buyings gems and exchanging for gold.

Same level of pay2win. I just think other pay2winners are angry because their own unlimited picks dont give them something extra now.

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

The buzz is starting to die down on this topic. I’d like to thank everyone who has participated so far in the poll. A clear majority of the participants dislike the mining pick with 64% out of 614 respondents. I’m surprised that the devs have not responded about the player’s reaction to the new mining pick.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

Posted by: hellsmachine.4085

hellsmachine.4085

No I don’t like it. People that bought the previous picks will be less inclined to make further purchases. Anet may have just shot themselves in the foot.