POLL: Would you like level cap to be raised?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

NO! Seriously, i enjoyed leveling to 80 on my warrior, which was my first character.. But then i made a necro, and i love being max on him… no more leveling!

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

No I definitely do not. I understand people want lateral progression but GW1 got by with no cap raise just fine. Unfortunately there have been a great many hints that we will be seeing a level cap raise in the future…

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

NO NO NO

What is it with all of the people that feel the need to always “raise the cap”? What is the need for a bigger number?

I have to ask… if you’re all high and mighty about not caring about numbers, why do you care if someone has a bigger number than yours?

Because bigger numbers of that magnitude change the gameplay experience by gating new content for no other reason than to make you grind just to remain as powerful as you were. With arbitrary +1 bigger number increases like that just for the sake of seeing the numbers on your toon go up, you are grinding not so that your character will get stronger, but so that your character will not get weaker! Prior to the expansion, you will have been max level and on par with all the max level mobs in the game. After the expansion you will have to grind like crazy to catch back up with where you were. That illusion of progression is not fun.

It’s like running on a treadmill. You can either run as fast as you can to stay in place, or stop running and get left behind. I’d rather actually progress, as a player, through story, content, gaining skills, gaining new armor looks, and other such content that don’t just make my character’s numbers get bigger for no reason. Such a simplistic concept of progression is exceptionally boring.

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

And also what’s can happen to all the hard work that the PVP developers put into balancing the classes if the stats and traits are increased when an expansion comes out? I think S PVP stats should not be affected to preserve all the balance work that’s been done so far.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

NO.

80 is already 60 more than we need.

This, completely this.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

YEs i love lvling and to all the haters here typing no its just your kind less then 2 % of the total playerbase in gw and all u do sleep here on forums and being trolls and pretending u understand something

lmao. 7 pages of “no” (with less than three “yes” answers on average per page), the first time in this forum’s history that folks on both sides of the ascended gear argument get together and actually unanimously agree on a topic, and this guy tries to pull the “vocal minority” argument.

I’m honestly not sure if that was a serious post or just one being facetious and trying to make that argument look epically silly to make fun of folks who make it (bad grammar and all)

Posted by: ghostchipz.2341

ghostchipz.2341

maybe we could have a post lv 80 system that is special to each area of the game

for example.

Once you reach lv 80 and you play WvW you can Lv a WvW special Trait line with some of the following advantages.

Cheap seige build cost
Perment speed buff while out of combat
extra range on defending seige

theses are just a few examples

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Nah

There’s no need, with everything scaling so well. Maybe in new areas it would be fun if they increased it and included some additional trait lines, but there’s no real need to do it just to do it.

Posted by: Boererik.3459

Boererik.3459

NO

extra trait points can be given by doing other things than lvling.

Posted by: DOW Mageski.2097

DOW Mageski.2097

NO, 80 is high enough. A higher level cap just makes the game easier, and does not really help in any long term goal.

#OccupySAB2014 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Forgotten Vanguard [TFV], a 18+ great guild. On the Gandara server.
Join. http://forgottenvanguard.enjin.com/

Posted by: Xiroku.7604

Xiroku.7604

I rather new weapons skills unlocked via skill points than more player levels.

Posted by: DarkSword.7240

DarkSword.7240

NO,
in other mmorpg, raising level caps usually to encourage player to visit new zone for new content rather spend time in old content. since guild wars has downscalling system, it wont be necessary to add new zone for content, since anet just add content in low level zone and everyone can enjoy with no problem.

increasing level will give many problem to fix such new tier of equipment, new skill, balancing issue, etc.

in new expansion, i’d rather see new race, class, skill, ui improvement, etc.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Don’t push new content further away from newer players!

In games like WoW, the expansions are way to far out of reach for the new players to ever enjoy them.

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

Just No, never please never.

Posted by: Silvery Shadow.5036

Silvery Shadow.5036

No …. level cap at 80 is fine

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Yes.

That said, I would rather there be no level cap at all. I think there should be a cap on stats, just not levels. That way you have a better idea of how long everyone has been playing. That was one of the things that bothered me about GW1, you would go to play some max level content, and half your party didn’t know how to play the game due to it taking no time whatsoever to get to 20.

…what? For all you know it could be an alt of someone who knows more about playing the game than you do, or just someone who spends loads of time farming events and is swimming in xp but never really does anything else and has no clue about whatever you’re about to do.

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

YEs i love lvling and to all the haters here typing no its just your kind less then 2 % of the total playerbase in gw and all u do sleep here on forums and being trolls and pretending u understand something

If you’re not intentionally trying to discredit the things you say, you should probably just cut your losses at this point.

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

No. There was absolutely no point in any of the levels past 30 in the first place, as you’d already unlocked your full bar and could have easily gotten all your weapon skills before that. The 50 levels that extended the leveling process were painfully dull, especially seeing as you only get a trait every other 5.
There is no reason to raise the level cap. Just make the game have more interesting content (dungeon-wise) and it should be fine.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Njordfinn.4921

Njordfinn.4921

NO!

I really do hate leveling and are happy when i am finally done so i can equipp the gear i got plenty of tokens for already.
I want to play effective and that i can only do after i reach level 80.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Yes, a lvl cap of over 200 would be great.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: exocet.6308

exocet.6308

No. Here is why:

1. Currently there is only one and a half 80 exclusive zones (SSC isn’t much of a zone). With everyone kittening about no endgame. I’m surprised that Anet even considered raising the cap further.

2. Raising the cap further will inevitably end in new gear hunting. Purchased exotic dungeon armour sets will become obsolete with a new level cap, sending players back to grind tokens again for their higher level variants. . They can raise the level on gears(maybe with a tier 7+ mats MForge recipe), but why bother with raising the level cap at all?

3. Considering the time it takes for Anet to generate something new and get it right, raising the cap would be the last thing on a to-do list. It is an additional factor that may disturb the game balance futher(materials, scaling), and that would take another eternity to test and balance. I would expect BONUS major kitten-ups should Anet decide to add another few levels.

4. Story and gameplay innovations can be achieved without level progression.

5. All of the above are my personal thoughts.

tl;dr: 80 > 80+

Posted by: Biohazard.2043

Biohazard.2043

Yes and no. I like the sense of character progression. I don’t want to spend time again out fitting characters with the new level of gear. If gear progression capped out at level 80 then i wouldn’t mind higher levels it it just meant new skills to buy.

Jade Quarry
Drexion Miasma – Human Necromancer/ Rryzer Blackpowder – Charr Engineer/
Xoorx – Asura Mesmer

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

I got a level 80 Ele that since then has acquired 300+ trait points.

I would have liked the cap to be lv100, however only for the character and not items/tiers. This would most likely result in these also needing to be upscaled, therefore…

NO

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Unindal.9102

Unindal.9102

No.

/fifteen chars

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

efffffffffffffffffffffff no!

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

YES

To infinity

But only if levels past 80 function the same as they do now: you gain a skill point and that’s it.

Gameplay-wise I think the current cap feels good, but hey, why not have large numbers just to remind us how awesome we are?

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

nope.. no level cap increase pls. GW2 (as in GW) is all about skills play, and not about level cap. if I wanted lvl 100+ I would have played Cabal.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Czar Peter.7961

Czar Peter.7961

“I hope we’ve been clear that GW2 is not a game with virtually no stat progression in it like GW1 was. That’s why GW2 shipped with a higher level cap, and with a hard separation between PVE and PVP.

“In GW1 we never advanced the level cap through four campaigns/expansions. The game design didn’t allow for it. But GW2 was designed without those restrictions, and we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2.”

-Mike O’Brien

Level cap increases are coming, folks. If you enjoyed GW1 for its level and equipment cap, I have bad news for you: Apparently they were only there due to technical/design limitations. GW2 bravely leads us into the revolutionary future of MMO’s without the restrictions of level caps (sarcasm)

Engineer – Thief – Warrior

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

YES

If it means :-

More skills
More Traits

I don’t have enough or I am bored with the skills/traits available at the moment, not enough build diversity with the characters…

Good point. I’ll vote for level 900 if it means I can get a couple dozen new skills. Please give me new skills!

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

YES

If it means :-

More skills
More Traits

I don’t have enough or I am bored with the skills/traits available at the moment, not enough build diversity with the characters…

I would be happy if the expansion just gave us horizontal progression through variety.
Keep us at 80 with the current skill point per experience bar filled, but give us new weapon skills that we can swap out with current ones to give us more variety without more power creep.

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

Naw, it’s a hassle to get to 80 already more levels would make me more aggravated about leveling.

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

Posted by: Icecat.4528

Icecat.4528

i don’t see the reason or the point

GW2 mods can fuck it up their cock sucking asses – Sieg heil you nazi fuckers

Posted by: Shear Force.9154

Shear Force.9154

No I don’t think I’d want that, but if they did I’d be ok with it too, however I would love some sort of Internal level, that doesn’t effect you in any way but bragging rights.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

No please, anet would have to rebalance all the traits again, it’s already taking forever :p

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Stefanos.1673

Stefanos.1673

Never do I want a raise in the level cap.

Posted by: loopi.7913

loopi.7913

No

There are so many issues this game needs to be fixed (just head over to the ranger or wvw forums to see for yourself). The last thing we need is the devs focused on some new level increasing content instead of spending their time wisely fixing what needs to be fixed.

Vexinia – Squishee animal wrangler of TC

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

“I hope we’ve been clear that GW2 is not a game with virtually no stat progression in it like GW1 was. That’s why GW2 shipped with a higher level cap, and with a hard separation between PVE and PVP.

“In GW1 we never advanced the level cap through four campaigns/expansions. The game design didn’t allow for it. But GW2 was designed without those restrictions, and we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2.”

-Mike O’Brien

Level cap increases are coming, folks. If you enjoyed GW1 for its level and equipment cap, I have bad news for you: Apparently they were only there due to technical/design limitations. GW2 bravely leads us into the revolutionary future of MMO’s without the restrictions of level caps (sarcasm)

Major mistake by MikeO and he should never have said such stupid words.

As such …

NO

GW2 has 60 levels too many as it is. While levelling can be fun the first time around, levelling for the sake of levelling is boring and pointless.

We’ve all been there, lvl 31 on an alt, wishing there was some instant 80 thing because I kittenly know the class at that point, no need to learn for another 30 hours. Levelling isn’t nearly as fast as it should, which is instant 80 (lucky it isn’t as bad as other games)

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

no …
more content is ok, more lvls no…

It would just make worst problems that game already have….such making obsolete a great part of the content and forcing players to play what anet wants and not what they enjoy…

Also destroy balance

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I have to wonder…are ArenaNet reading this thread and having an honest discussion with themselves about the level cap? Will they actively interact with the community on this issue and really try to get a good idea of general feeling on the matter?

Or will they remain as silent as possible because the decision been made to raise it already, and nothing anyone says here will change that?

Posted by: stemare.2578

stemare.2578

NO!
New races, skills, professions are ok, but please, DON’T increase the level cap.

Stemare ~ Guardian ~ lv80 ~ Far Shiverpeaks
Ci Assediamo Da Soli [SIGH] ~ Officier

Posted by: Fus Ro Charr.2403

Fus Ro Charr.2403

No

Agree with the others, would love more content but please no more levels.

Aurora Glade

Posted by: dudikoff.3645

dudikoff.3645

HELL NO!

I hate the idea of getting new gear for all my characters. I don’t have the time to run on that treadmill.

Also, we are slowly getting to a balanced game, raising the cap will throw all that through a window.

Stop with the vertical progression. Instead include new 80 level maps, maybe new profession, race, legendaries, etc.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

-Mike O’Brien

Except of course that there are design limitations that make raising level cap unwise, just like in GW1 (trait system, for one, was definitely designed for only limited advancement with a definite cap).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

NO
Message Body length must at least be 15.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

No level cap but I welcome new skills (weapon skills/utility skills) or a new combination of weapon for each profession such as short sword for Ele n stuff like that.

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

Don’t mind if there is a real drop rate for fine transmutating stones. Otherwise no.

Posted by: RageQuit.5687

RageQuit.5687

NO for reasons probably listed in one or more of these posts.

However, what should be considered is this:

Instead of introducing a higher level cap, introduce another tier of armor and weapons in the expansion. Progression stat-wise would be better.

Or introduce a sort of passive skill tree like in Path of Exile.
It would complement the current trait bars and could be used to interesting effects i think.

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

NO for reasons probably listed in one or more of these posts.

However, what should be considered is this:

Instead of introducing a higher level cap, introduce another tier of armor and weapons in the expansion. Progression stat-wise would be better.

Or introduce a sort of passive skill tree like in Path of Exile.
It would complement the current trait bars and could be used to interesting effects i think.

He said it. Passive skill tree is most welcomed.

Posted by: Cimyr.4236

Cimyr.4236

Of course no one wants a level cap, you’re talking to a community that came from a game where they spent years at Lv20. Which is why you keep seeing “80 was 60 more than we needed”.

Im personally indifferent to it either way you’re going to have the same issue, you can keep saying “If you add more zones and keep them at 80 all content will be great and still be used” or what have you but lets look at a scenario.

A-Net releases Elona, lets say they add maybe 4 areas that are Lv80. Something unique to do in each one, whatever, not important really. Everyone is now going to go to Elona, that’s where everything new is. That’s where the “Cooler” looking gear will be. That’s where everyone is playing, Orr will turn into any zone between Lv40-70 without a Meta Event chain. As it stands the only event I really see people doing in Orr is opening Arah. And since Elona will have a few more dungeons most wont be farming Arah as much now that this new content is out, save for a few that really want the dungeon sets or what have you.

So how is it different than someone going “Well I outleveled Orr, I dont need to go there anymore”?

And as far as balance goes, you’re playing a PvP heavy game, I’m sorry but rebalancing and Buff/Nerf cycles are going to be a constant thing. Raising a level cap wont change anything when it comes to that.

Also, please no one take this as an attack on any side. I’m just trying to give what I feel are valid points, maybe I’m wrong? Maybe I’m right? I don’t want to argue, this is just how I feel it will go.

In the end it’s A-Net’s game, if they wanna raise the cap they certainly will. People that don’t like it will leave, the game will either continue on or implode in on itself.

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

NO NO NO. All new content should be balanced around level 80. Real high end zones could have mobs with a higher levels (like we see in Orr) for when we have ascended items for all slots.

IT would kick a right storm up in the anti vertical progression camps for one..