Paid more for gems than a sub fee this year?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

GW2 is turning into a F2P game than it’s original B2P model, just take the recent Instant-trait reset item, a feature which was there almost since the beginning in GW1.

Guild Wars 1 had nothing like the trait reset item, because you could not change your traits anywhere, you had to go back to a city to retrait (which is exactly what you need to do in Guild Wars 2 if you do not want to use the trait reset item.)

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

GW2 is turning into a F2P game than it’s original B2P model, just take the recent Instant-trait reset item, a feature which was there almost since the beginning in GW1.

Guild Wars 1 had nothing like the trait reset item, because you could not change your traits anywhere, you had to go back to a city to retrait (which is exactly what you need to do in Guild Wars 2 if you do not want to use the trait reset item.)

Your right, it is BETTER it has BUILD TEMPLATES you can choose from, so what if you could only do it in a town or outpost where EVERYONE should do these things to get ready for the area you’re going to.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

(edited by Im Mudbone.1437)

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

@SpyderArachnid:

Your logic is kinda flawed there, I won’t say you’re completely wrong but an F2P game is almost better than both when it comes to spending money.

You don’t have to pay an initial fee to play the game (B2P), You can play whenever you want without paying monthly fees (P2P) and any money you spent it’s for game goodies.

Except with a F2P game, I would usually have to pay in order to stay competitive. Meaning P2W and having to get the best gear in order to stay on top in PvP via their cash shop only. I can’t just earn the best gear in the game in a F2P. You usually have to pay premium for that.

With GW2, it is all cosmetic and convenience. There is nothing that I have to buy to stay competitive in the game. I am not forced to pay money to stay on top. It’s one of those, buy the game once, and if I ever want to give them money again, I can. It won’t make me better, it will just make me prettier.

And I get your point on the trait reset item. It reminds me of a quote from back in the day (can we say that now?): “We take everything you love about GW1…”. Well, they finally gave us a way to change traits now more quickly, but we have to pay for it instead. Where in GW1, it was free.

But like Eisberg said, even in GW1 you still had to go to town to change your build and such. You couldn’t do it wherever you wanted. Kind of the same with GW2 already. In order to change your build, you have to go to town to do it.

This trait reset item is actually better in a sense. Now we can change our build wherever we want. Be it in a dungeon, open world, anywhere. No more going to town like you had to do before and in GW1. Sure I get that in GW1 the ability to change your build was free, but you were limited to only being allowed to do it in town. Now that we can change our build wherever we are, without trainers, I see the reasoning behind making it cost.

Though of course, GW1 had templates as well like Mudbone said, which is still something that we need in GW2.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

Gold to gems
paid nothing for gems the entire year

Same here

wish I was better at making gold lol.

Best way is to understand the player base and predict upcomming supply/demand issues. As an example, ascended armor this year will have a very high chance of spiking T2-4 cloth prices. Limited time cool skins and items made from time limited recipies often go up in price after they are no longer available (coughHalloweencough). Gw2spidy is a very good tool for watching market trends.

Wish I would of followed my instincts on this one… Superior Rune of Traveler, 20s a piece…. I was going to buy 100 of them… Decided against it, next day were talking almost 3g – 7g a piece.

Still kicking myself over that one.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

I spent less than the 50€ I’d pay for an expansion.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I’ve probably paid more. I don’t mind though, not like I was forced to or anything.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I’ve probably paid more. I don’t mind though, not like I was forced to or anything.

Not literally but they have been trying to get you to buy gems in many many (bad) ways. And it did work on you.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

will sound bad.

I d really like to buy gems with real money.

Since i feel the “bait and switch” game direction is extremely unethical, i do not.
After some years even electronic arts changed…..and in my mind Anet is not much better.

Sometimes i m about to change my mind, but soon after some new ascended item is introduced and just dissuades me.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Not literally but they have been trying to get you to buy gems in many many (bad) ways. And it did work on you.

Maybe during the dragon bash. Mostly what I’ve gotten are character slots and a few skins. They’re a far cry from other games I’ve played.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

What is funny is that I see multiple people say. I spend (a lot of) money on gems but don’t like the way the game is going now so might stop playing / spengin money.. The way the game is going now is strongly linked to the gem-store as its being build around the whole idea of how to get people to buy gems. And indeed thats not good for the game.

So basically buy spending so much money you guys made the game go in the direction it is going now. Hopefully you learned your lesson. There is no bad thing in giving money however, better do that for expansions so you know the game will go in the correct direction in stead of spending it on a cash-shop resulting in a game focusing itself around that with all negative side-effects that come with it.

For your information, I stopped spending when the content was not to my liking, I haven’t spent anything for the last 2-3 moths or so, since Zephyr Sanctum.

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

Nope. I haven’t been here all year, but I’ve only spent in the neighbourhood of $15-20 on gems, and most of that has gone towards cosmetic items. While I do like the cosmetic items I have purchased (pirate outfit FTW), I won’t be buying anything similar again. Why? Because of the lack of a proper cosmetic appearance and/or storage system. As much as I do like the items I purchased, I never use them. If ANet fixes that, I’ll almost definitely get back into buying more gems.

Posted by: TexRob.5183

TexRob.5183

This is the beauty of the gem store (for them). I tell the younger guys in my guild that I wish there was something like Planetside 2, an optional subscription method. They all think I’m crazy. One where you say pay $15 a month, and get $10 worth of gems, and some bonuses like XP, MF, etc. That way you can save up gems if you need them. This allows players to budget. The problem is, Anet does not want that. People say, “Oh, I don’t pay a sub, so it’s ok if I spend $10 on the gem store”. The problem is, they often say that multiple times a month. That’s why GW2 is doing so well and they are not planning to charge for expansions.

For those of us who like to budget, I wish they would put in something like the system I mentioned.

Tex Rob 80 War [RICH] GoM

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

i think over 100e so far…
i liked my lol thief, then at the beginning….but now…
a-net devs and the community hated them
now i log ~1 time per week,
heavy nerfs are on their way again, yay, maybe i can happily quit this hame
since the root cause with 25 (bleed) stacks limit was not fixed since forever…
venoms are also getting the short straw…

So first you spend a lot of money on gems and so helping GW2 with there gem-store focus. Then the game changes for the worse for a big part because of that and then you leave leaving us (people who are willing to pay for an expansions but not for gems exactly for this reason) with a game that has gotten worse partly because of your input.

Thanks.

you piece of …, you think i am happy they trashed my class, but the obvious problems were not fixed ? halo ?

Devata.6589

What is funny is that I see multiple people say. I spend (a lot of) money on gems but don’t like the way the game is going now so might stop playing / spengin money.. The way the game is going now is strongly linked to the gem-store as its being build around the whole idea of how to get people to buy gems. And indeed thats not good for the game.

So basically buy spending so much money you guys made the game go in the direction it is going now. Hopefully you learned your lesson. There is no bad thing in giving money however, better do that for expansions so you know the game will go in the correct direction in stead of spending it on a cash-shop resulting in a game focusing itself around that with all negative side-effects that come with it.

For your information, I stopped spending when the content was not to my liking, I haven’t spent anything for the last 2-3 moths or so, since Zephyr Sanctum.

Yeah thats very smart of you but you are aware that you help them to go into this wrong direction? Thats all I am saying. Some do understand that some don’t. It’s important that people do understand that.

Devata.6589

i think over 100e so far…
i liked my lol thief, then at the beginning….but now…
a-net devs and the community hated them
now i log ~1 time per week,
heavy nerfs are on their way again, yay, maybe i can happily quit this hame
since the root cause with 25 (bleed) stacks limit was not fixed since forever…
venoms are also getting the short straw…

So first you spend a lot of money on gems and so helping GW2 with there gem-store focus. Then the game changes for the worse for a big part because of that and then you leave leaving us (people who are willing to pay for an expansions but not for gems exactly for this reason) with a game that has gotten worse partly because of your input.

Thanks.

you piece of …, you think i am happy they trashed my class, but the obvious problems were not fixed ? halo ?

I feel for you don’t get me wrong but I really hope (for me and for you) that this is a lesson for people who spend a lot of money that way. Spending money is fine but the way you do it effects the game and it is important people are aware of that.

Anet does not seem to be still very active in the forums so maybe my only goal left here it to get people to understand that. You know to spread the word.

Devata.6589

This is the beauty of the gem store (for them). I tell the younger guys in my guild that I wish there was something like Planetside 2, an optional subscription method. They all think I’m crazy. One where you say pay $15 a month, and get $10 worth of gems, and some bonuses like XP, MF, etc. That way you can save up gems if you need them. This allows players to budget. The problem is, Anet does not want that. People say, “Oh, I don’t pay a sub, so it’s ok if I spend $10 on the gem store”. The problem is, they often say that multiple times a month. That’s why GW2 is doing so well and they are not planning to charge for expansions.

For those of us who like to budget, I wish they would put in something like the system I mentioned.

Personally I am not in favor of a subscription but I do agree with what you say that is why I keep hammering on expansions because it has the same effect but also does not effect the world in a negative way. If you would get gems with a subscription it still means they need to make it so people want those gems and so you hold the negative side-effects of that focus.

I have thought about it how I would do it if I would be the full owener of a game company.

Possibly I would have a cash shop, but with very limited stuff in it and I might even have a VIP subscription because some people prefer a P2P model and you don’t want to alienate yourself from those people. However in my case I would give those people thinks like a title only available when you have that subscription and for example access to beta content (upcoming patches) and maybe a few special mounts you can only use when you have that subscription and maybe even some sort of discount on expansions (hard to arrange). But that would then just to give the P2P people an option and will always be clear as not giving any big attention / focus. The focus would be expansions and people could expect a full experience with the expansions. Also in the non-PvP part because thinking only P2W is bad is flawed.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

I only paid or the stuff that was worth it.

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

I have yet to spend real cash beyond the initial purchase cost. Been using gold-to-gem conversion, and am very happy about it. Sure, Gem-to-Gold is now heavily inflated, but I can still afford to buy what my heart desire from the gem shop.

Overall, I am very pleased with how Anet run their Black Lion TP. Cosmetic-only stuff is good. Sure, not everyone is happy, but no game is ever perfect, no game can make 100% of the population happy. So I make do with what good the game offers (i.e. I don’t need to flick my credit card to get my Ascended weapon and trinkeys), report botters, submit bug, and wait for the next free DLC every two weeks.

This game is good.

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

Im Mudbone.1437

Yeah thats very smart of you but you are aware that you help them to go into this wrong direction? Thats all I am saying. Some do understand that some don’t. It’s important that people do understand that.

And some just don’t care.

Devata.6589

Sadly true.

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

While i can buy gems for gold, I spent 275$ just to support developers <3

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

While i can buy gems for gold, I spent 275$ just to support developers <3

You’re ruining it for everyone.

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

I’m a big fan of the model turbine uses, or what bioware picked up for SWTOR

sub if you want with all the bells and whistles and item shop tokens for subbing. Or Play for free and buy what you want when you want. What I don’t like about GW2’s model is I I would rather just sub and get access to everything because it is cheaper than having to buy things every 2 weeks. with just 3 characters, just buying all the outfits/clothing released since launch in the gem store would cost more than a year of sub fees would have cost me. Then of course there are the limited time items, the fun use items, the new emotes, mini pets, quality of life items, and more.

Basically I would rather pay $10-$15 a month to get the whole game, then be nickel and dimed for more money and still not have access to everything! Especially with the way content comes and goes, If I made a ranger today and wanted Roxx’s Quiver Well I’m just SOL because I cant buy it anymore. Doesn’t matter that I’ve spent more than a sub on this game so far.

I understand there are people that cant afford $15.00 a month, and thats why I like the turbine model, best of both worlds. Because for those of us who can, often it feels like we are being conned.

Posted by: citypigeon.6358

citypigeon.6358

I’ve been playing regularly since beta. Paid about $50 in gems, and very happy about it!! That’s nothing compared to the ~$200 you’d pay for a year of WoW or whatever. And I don’t regret my gems at all because I’m very smart about my money. If you paid too much in gems and regret it, you just have yourself to blame tbh….

IGN: zestalyn
zestalyn.tumblr

Devata.6589

I’m a big fan of the model turbine uses, or what bioware picked up for SWTOR

sub if you want with all the bells and whistles and item shop tokens for subbing. Or Play for free and buy what you want when you want. What I don’t like about GW2’s model is I I would rather just sub and get access to everything because it is cheaper than having to buy things every 2 weeks. with just 3 characters, just buying all the outfits/clothing released since launch in the gem store would cost more than a year of sub fees would have cost me. Then of course there are the limited time items, the fun use items, the new emotes, mini pets, quality of life items, and more.

Basically I would rather pay $10-$15 a month to get the whole game, then be nickel and dimed for more money and still not have access to everything! Especially with the way content comes and goes, If I made a ranger today and wanted Roxx’s Quiver Well I’m just SOL because I cant buy it anymore. Doesn’t matter that I’ve spent more than a sub on this game so far.

I understand there are people that cant afford $15.00 a month, and thats why I like the turbine model, best of both worlds. Because for those of us who can, often it feels like we are being conned.

But with that model… as far as i know it! there is still a focus on that sort of items and so ingame decisions are still based on it. You see, the problem is not just missing out in thinks it’s thats the game becomes less fun. To use the mini example again. How is getting mini’s from the AH or gem-shop any fun? yet I had fun with collecting them in the open world in other games.

If you pay (on a monthly base or not) for that sort of items they still need to make you want to buy that. The way you describe there model it’s really like that and not like for example WoW where that sort of cash-shop items are not a focus.

Personally I don’t like P2P because of the timer over my head but thats why I want expansions. Then you can put everything in the game where it belongs and people pay on a regular base (not monthly but once every year / year and a half) for an expansion. Those few that don’t buy the expansion can still play bud just miss out on the new content.

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

But with that model… as far as i know it! there is still a focus on that sort of items and so ingame decisions are still based on it. You see, the problem is not just missing out in thinks it’s thats the game becomes less fun. To use the mini example again. How is getting mini’s from the AH or gem-shop any fun? yet I had fun with collecting them in the open world in other games.

If you pay (on a monthly base or not) for that sort of items they still need to make you want to buy that. The way you describe there model it’s really like that and not like for example WoW where that sort of cash-shop items are not a focus.

Personally I don’t like P2P because of the timer over my head but thats why I want expansions. Then you can put everything in the game where it belongs and people pay on a regular base (not monthly but once every year / year and a half) for an expansion. Those few that don’t buy the expansion can still play bud just miss out on the new content.

Not as often as you would think. There is a big push in those games to have everything in the store also outside the store, also you can gain item shop points for doing general content. Like if we got gems instead of achievement points for achievements.

Instead of buying outfits, weapons and clothing what is bought in the store are access unlocks. In other words F2P players cannot access Map X, or function Y without paying. The few items that do appear in the item shops are never bound to characters and are easily sold on auction houses. Again giving players more avenues to gain the items they want and of course making a player run economy for the items unlike our Gem exchange.

The best part about it IMHO is that if a friend cannot pay this month. No big deal. I can keep playing with them while they cannot access whatever they haven’t bought yet. I can use my surplus tokens I get for free to buy them permanent access to things. and when they do have money to purchase they can buy permanent unlocks for themselves.

I have to admit though with the new LS and temporary gem store model in GW2 I have for the first time actually felt that timer over my head from an MMO.

I suppose I don’t see a big deal in paying $15.00 for a months worth of game entertainment, because I spend $15.00 for 90 minutes worth of entertainment at the movies, or $50.00 for 3 hours of entertainment at a concert. what is $15 for 20+ hours of entertainment?

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I keep all the email receipts so I can manage how much I put into this game. Last check was quite substantially higher than a subscription MMO. To put it into perspective, I have payed for about 15 years worth of subscription since launch. Out of that time I have been afk for around a total of 4 months. I don’t mind though, the money I spend on gems and gems-gold means I can spend more of my game time doing the things I enjoy, not wasting my valuable time doing the things I don’t enjoy.

The only problem is when aspects of the game become time gated. Laurels and time-gated Transmutations for crafting means much of my time is now spent doing daily chores, gathering, daily achievements, charging stones, transmuting ascended wood and metal. Since these features have crept into the game, I cannot use money to avoid the grind, I need to use time, unfortunately time is more valuable to me. I spend 2-3 hours in GW2 on weekdays and around 6-8 hours a day on weekends doing WvW. I do not want to spend that time farming, gathering or refining for bind on account gear and since it is now time gated, I no longer have to spend money on it either. ANet is losing quite a lot of money from me and others like me since time gating was introduced.

Devata.6589

I keep all the email receipts so I can manage how much I put into this game. Last check was quite substantially higher than a subscription MMO. To put it into perspective, I have payed for about 15 years worth of subscription since launch. Out of that time I have been afk for around a total of 4 months. I don’t mind though, the money I spend on gems and gems-gold means I can spend more of my game time doing the things I enjoy, not wasting my valuable time doing the things I don’t enjoy.

The only problem is when aspects of the game become time gated. Laurels and time-gated Transmutations for crafting means much of my time is now spent doing daily chores, gathering, daily achievements, charging stones, transmuting ascended wood and metal. Since these features have crept into the game, I cannot use money to avoid the grind, I need to use time, unfortunately time is more valuable to me. I spend 2-3 hours in GW2 on weekdays and around 6-8 hours a day on weekends doing WvW. I do not want to spend that time farming, gathering or refining for bind on account gear and since it is now time gated, I no longer have to spend money on it either. ANet is losing quite a lot of money from me and others like me since time gating was introduced.

If you would not pay for gems (well and people like you) but would pay expansions then you didn’t need to pay money to not having to be wasting your valuable time doing the things I don’t enjoy.

But because you do other people have to. Or they get bored with the game.

Funny enough the time-gated content is part of that tactic you help to create as it is part of the “getting people to log in” and then hoping they will buy stuff. So basically you helped to destroy the game for yourself and for us. But it’s good to read you did stop spending money now.

Just in the future be sure you can better spend it on expansions or if you don’t mind a clock over your head.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I’ve paid WAY more than I would have with a $15 per month sub…

But no more than I felt like paying for the enjoyment I’m getting.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Your right, it is BETTER it has BUILD TEMPLATES you can choose from, so what if you could only do it in a town or outpost where EVERYONE should do these things to get ready for the area you’re going to.

I don’t understand the comparison of build templates and the trait reset item. The two are totally different things.

All a build template did was instantly change your current skills and attributes to a combination you’d set up previously. It still had all the same limitation of doing it manually – you couldn’t change them in instances or PvP maps, you couldn’t get access to skills you hadn’t unlocked and purchased for that character….it just saved you some clicking and the hassle of remembering all your builds.

The trait reset item on the other hand doesn’t save any of your builds. When you use it it’s just like resetting your traits at a trainer – you still have to reallocate the points and set your traits manually. What it does do is allow you to do that anywhere (outside of PvP I assume) instead of going back to a town.

If you think everyone should be setting their build in town before starting whatever it is they’re going to do then the trait reset item is irrelevant. You could do that from launch and still can do it today.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

So am I the only one who looks at buying gems as a straight sale?

I see an item I want in the gem store, I work out how much it costs in real money, decide if I think that item is worth that price and if it is then I buy it. End of story.

Everyone else in this thread seems to treat buying gems as some sort of elaborate rating system for Anet – buying gems based on how much they like all the recent content/the game as a whole or as if it’s some way of petitioning for the content they do want, and the actual item(s) you get seem to be largely irrelevant.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

After spending 7k on a watch I’m on a thighs budget. No more pixel purchases from me.

Posted by: Pray For Kosmos.5849

Pray For Kosmos.5849

I gave ANET at least 300 dollars in gems so far. I’m not proud of it.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I used to budget $25-30 a month for them, which was on average how much I used to spend on my City of Heroes premium subscription plus whatever cash shop stuff they dropped, before NCSoft assassinated them. That’s especially impressive considering most of the highest-price cash shop stuff was included in my premium sub, so the rest of my expense was all the odds and ends.

I kept that up here until around May or June. I haven’t given them a cent since then. I can’t recall when I specifically decided I was done, but it was around the first time I let a month of “Living Story” crap just wash past without participating. So averaged out, it may work out to a year’s worth of Subscription Fees.

I do still convert gold to gems occasionally, but I’m nowhere near enough of a power-earner to do this regularly.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Elthurien.8356

If you would not pay for gems (well and people like you) but would pay expansions then you didn’t need to pay money to not having to be wasting your valuable time doing the things I don’t enjoy.

Funny enough the time-gated content is part of that tactic you help to create as it is part of the “getting people to log in” and then hoping they will buy stuff. So basically you helped to destroy the game for yourself and for us. But it’s good to read you did stop spending money now.

Just in the future be sure you can better spend it on expansions or if you don’t mind a clock over your head.

You’re living in a fantasy if you think Arena.Net had any intention of having a limited gem store and relying on paid expansions, GW2 was designed around the Gem Store, so me (and people like me) not spending money in the gem store would have quit the game long ago when we were forced to craft or do PvE for any exotic gear beside Invaders.

If GW2 launched without the gem stores option to convert gems-gold, they would have lost a hell of a lot of revenue, revenue that is used to create things like Living World every 2 weeks, constant additions of art (it takes a lot of resources and time to design, create and implement a set of weapon skins), hiring more employees, upgrading and adding new tech, creating new and improved systems for the game and countless other things that most people are unaware of.

I am quite happy to pay to help make this game a great game. I don’t expect special treatment for spending as much as I do, because I’m aware that a decent portion what I spend goes back into the game, whether it’s through paying somebodies wage, additional art assets, new maps, new content, or even additional tech upgrades.

When design direction starts taking advantage of me (Ascended Crafting) and time-gating things to coerce me into buying more and more gems-gold, that is when I stop buying gems. I don’t give a kitten about paying for expansions, if those expansions increase level cap or add more vertical progression or power creep to the game.

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

If GW2 launched without the gem stores option to convert gems-gold, they would have lost a hell of a lot of revenue, revenue that is used to create things like Living World every 2 weeks, constant additions of art (it takes a lot of resources and time to design, create and implement a set of weapon skins), hiring more employees, upgrading and adding new tech, creating new and improved systems for the game and countless other things that most people are unaware of.

Revenue to do what?
Reconfigure the codes a small bit to add the same LS element every few weeks? Invasions, some baddie in some part of the world, and some horrible voice acting? Every 3rd or 4th month is when something really new comes out.

And the skins you talk about. Most of them are taken from GW and just given a different colour and a different name in most cases. There are a few that are new, but, most of them are just take from GW and thrown into GW2 with a sharpening filter on it.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Sadly true.

He ruining ruining things by supporting the things he likes… and not supporting the things he doesn’t?

Dunno, sounds like he’s being reasonable and rational to me.

Devata.6589

You’re living in a fantasy if you think Arena.Net had any intention of having a limited gem store and relying on paid expansions, GW2 was designed around the Gem Store, so me (and people like me) not spending money in the gem store would have quit the game long ago when we were forced to craft or do PvE for any exotic gear beside Invaders.

I am quite happy to pay to help make this game a great game. I don’t expect special treatment for spending as much as I do, because I’m aware that a decent portion what I spend goes back into the game, whether it’s through paying somebodies wage, additional art assets, new maps, new content, or even additional tech upgrades.

When design direction starts taking advantage of me (Ascended Crafting) and time-gating things to coerce me into buying more and more gems-gold, that is when I stop buying gems. I don’t give a kitten about paying for expansions, if those expansions increase level cap or add more vertical progression or power creep to the game.

If GW2 was build around the Gem-Store and so basically uses a F2P model (income on cash-shop) they should have made the game available for free like all F2P games.

Anet was known for it’s B2P model from GW1 so if I am living in a fantasies world it is because Anet showed how that world would exist with GW1.

Once again somebody tels me they need money.. Yeah I know that.. I just want they generate that with expansions not with gems because all the negative side-effects.

You don’t see or better don’t care about those side-effects and thats also why you think you help made this game better. But the way I see it (caring and don’t liking those effects) you help to destroy this game by buying gems.

About how you don’t give a kitten about paying for expansions, if those expansions increase level cap or add more vertical progression or power creep to the game.

Who did here say that should be in the expansion? It sure wasn’t me.
Not that I would care, I don’t mind higher level cap but it would be nice if the armor would just stay the same. However thats not the point here is it.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Devata.6589

Sadly true.

He ruining ruining things by supporting the things he likes… and not supporting the things he doesn’t?

Dunno, sounds like he’s being reasonable and rational to me.

Well I did explain how it works and it might not sound reasonable and rational to you, that does not mean it is not true.

Like I said it are the side-effects.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Elthurien.8356

Who did here that should be in the expansion? It sure wasn’t me.

Huh?

Devata.6589

Who did here that should be in the expansion? It sure wasn’t me.

Huh?

Missed the word ‘say’. I have edited. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

chemiclord.3978

Well I did explain how it works and it might not sound reasonable and rational to you, that does not mean it is not true.

GW2 was going down this path whether you liked it or not. And apparently, quite a few people do… because they keep doing it, and remain committed to it. With that in place, all that’s left for the customer is to support what you like, and don’t support what you don’t.

If you don’t like it at all… then it’s time to walk away.

Devata.6589

GW2 was going down this path whether you liked it or not. And apparently, quite a few people do… because they keep doing it, and remain committed to it. With that in place, all that’s left for the customer is to support what you like, and don’t support what you don’t.

If you don’t like it at all… then it’s time to walk away.

At the same time there are also many more people that seem to think the same way.

Walking away would also mean walking away from the invested time so far and walking away from an amazing guild. So I prefer to bring this problem to the attention. We did have some suggest with bringing the temporary content stuff to there attention it seems looking at the last few patches. and ‘we’ also got the expansion back on the table where it first was off the table. So I will give this a try. I came to GW2 hoping to play it for years, I don’t like MMO hopping. This is the second MMORPG in my life I really invested time in so I won’t walk away that easily.

Besides maybe some gem-buyers also hate the negative side-effects bud did not see them as related. If I was to convince only one of them that would be a win I think.

chemiclord.3978

Really? Because as I recall an expansion was never OFF the table. The entire article that spawned this discussion was Colin (?) claiming that if they felt they could deliver an expansions’ worth of content via the Living Story that it made sense for them to do it that way.

At least that was how I interpreted it, and ya know what… I agree with that. If they want to (and can) deliver that much content for free (hoping that it will entice gem store sales), I’m sure as hell not going to stop them.

(edited by chemiclord.3978)

Elthurien.8356

At the same time there are also many more people that seem to think the same way.

Walking away would also mean walking away from the invested time so far and walking away from an amazing guild. So I prefer to bring this problem to the attention. We did have some suggest with bringing the temporary content stuff to there attention it seems looking at the last few patches. and ‘we’ also got the expansion back on the table where it first was off the table. So I will give this a try. I came to GW2 hoping to play it for years, I don’t like MMO hopping. This is the second MMORPG in my life I really invested time in so I won’t walk away that easily.

Besides maybe some gem-buyers also hate the negative side-effects bud did not see them as related. If I was to convince only one of them that would be a win I think.

What exactly is it about gem-buying that you are against?

• Do you not like Living World?
    I can understand this, as I’m not a huge fan of it myself.
  • Do you not like RNG Gimmicks like skin tokens hiding inside Black Lion Chests?
    I can understand this, I hate Black Lion Chests and have only ever bought keys for them once. When I realised what a complete waste of money they are I never purchased them again.
  • Do you not like people converting gems to gold?
    This is where the majority of my money goes, because I don’t have time to waste farming resources in PvE when I spend so much time in WvW.

I’m just curious why you are on a crusade to convince people that the gem store is some evil force destroying the game. I can agree that some of the features in the gem store are gambler traps, I cannot stand that kind of thing and refuse to support it. However, converting gems to gold I see no problem with whatsoever, the economy of the game is still quite stable all things considered, and skill is still a large factor in whether you can kill or be killed so there isn’t really any pay to win factor.

Ascended gear is still gated even for people that want to buy gems and convert to gold. You can buy certain materials to craft an ascended weapon, but you still require several hundred dragonite bars, empyrial stars, bloodstone bricks and Augur’s Stones all require you to actually play the game, which has been the main gate blocking me from crafting my ascended weapons. So even gold buyers like myself aren’t handed everything on a silver platter.

If there was an option 12 months ago for me to purchase purely the WvW portion of the game and everything in that purchase would set me up to have a full geared level 80 of each profession, then I wouldn’t be spending so much money in the gem store. In fact the only money I probably would have spent would have been on transmute stones and skins. This however, was not and is not an option. Don’t blame people like me for ruining the game, blame the people that made the features possible in the first place.

chemiclord.3978

Walking away would also mean walking away from the invested time so far and walking away from an amazing guild. So I prefer to bring this problem to the attention.

And Arena.net doesn’t think it’s a problem. They don’t agree with you. It will not change. Period.

So now what? No matter how long you scream at that wall, it’s not going to move.

Walk away.

Im Mudbone.1437

I don’t understand the comparison of build templates and the trait reset item. The two are totally different things.

All a build template did was instantly change your current skills and attributes to a combination you’d set up previously. It still had all the same limitation of doing it manually – you couldn’t change them in instances or PvP maps, you couldn’t get access to skills you hadn’t unlocked and purchased for that character….it just saved you some clicking and the hassle of remembering all your builds.

The trait reset item on the other hand doesn’t save any of your builds. When you use it it’s just like resetting your traits at a trainer – you still have to reallocate the points and set your traits manually. What it does do is allow you to do that anywhere (outside of PvP I assume) instead of going back to a town.

If you think everyone should be setting their build in town before starting whatever it is they’re going to do then the trait reset item is irrelevant. You could do that from launch and still can do it today.

The Attributes in Gw1 is very much akin to the Traits system in GW2 just done differently.

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

And Arena.net doesn’t think it’s a problem. They don’t agree with you. It will not change. Period.

So now what? No matter how long you scream at that wall, it’s not going to move.

Walk away.

They care as it pertains to their bottom line. Will it change? I have no idea.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I have paid a bit, but not a lot. Maybe 30$ max. The gold→;gem conversion is really a great thing for me that doesn’t want to spend real money on certain things (like pets or town clothes, stuff that doesn’t necessarily add much to the game, but I want), I spend the real money on bank/bag slots to further my accounts ability.

Its always a risk that comes when a game has a item store. :x I know a game I played for years switched to f2p and started putting out item boxes and I spent so much more for the item boxes then I ever paid in the sub fees. shakes fist at gambling boxes

I think the people that justify spending like 10-20$ on gem store to equate a sub fee for another MMO is a good idea if you want to buy items from the store but not overspend what you would do normally in the course of a year. Personally I really don’t see buying gems if you don’t want anything that month, but eventually it does add up.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

Have you paid more for gems than a sub fee in the past year?

A year’s sub would cost, say, $US180. Less with multi-month discounts in most games.

Whilst paying GW2, I have spent $0.00 on gems.

So, no.

So am I the only one who looks at buying gems as a straight sale?

I see an item I want in the gem store, I work out how much it costs in real money, decide if I think that item is worth that price and if it is then I buy it. End of story.

Oh, I feel exactly the same way. I’m still waiting to see the first item in the store that is worth the price, though. Or indeed the first item that I have any interest in buying at all.

(edited by Banquetto.9521)