Aioros.4862

They nerfed moas and pigs.
moas! … and pigs!!

Patch Notes Up! Discussion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

snip

This post is just proof piled upon proof that you have never touched a Ranger.

Posted by: ATC Alpha.4098

ATC Alpha.4098

My opinion on this patch and suggestions (hope a-net is reading this):

As a PvE staff ele(main) and mesmer (my only 2 chars), I like this patch so far.
Fire traits could still use some improvement to match the benefits the others give.

Stun breaker on Glyph of Elemental Power? asdfglolwat

Haven’t looked at my mesmer yet but I like the summons buff.

All pets should get HP buffed in PvE like the mesmer’s summons did. Turrets, ranger pets, elementals, minions etc. Just in PvE though, perhaps not wvw.

I think more buffs should be given in PvE!

I feel sad for SB rangers even though I have no interest in the class. At least their auto attack should have 1.2k range or something.

Can anyone give feedback on the mistfire wolves?

That’s all for now.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

The thief wins Guild Wars 2, gg everyone.

As it did in Guild Wars 1

Guess which the worst profession in GW1 and GW2 is?

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

I’m not really happy about it , my engineer uses the shotgun jumpshot a lot on jumping puzzles since she doesn’t have a speed buff and that got nerfed . The least they could have done is give the engineer a permanent speed buff like the other classes have .

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I’m not really happy about it , my engineer uses the shotgun jumpshot a lot on jumping puzzles since she doesn’t have a speed buff and that got nerfed . The least they could have done is give the engineer a permanent speed buff like the other classes have .

They do, speedy kits.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

My opinion on this patch and suggestions (hope a-net is reading this):

As a PvE staff ele(main) and mesmer (my only 2 chars), I like this patch so far.
Fire traits could still use some improvement to match the benefits the others give.

Stun breaker on Glyph of Elemental Power? asdfglolwat

Haven’t looked at my mesmer yet but I like the summons buff.

All pets should get HP buffed in PvE like the mesmer’s summons did. Turrets, ranger pets, elementals, minions etc. Just in PvE though, perhaps not wvw.

I think more buffs should be given in PvE!

I feel sad for SB rangers even though I have no interest in the class. At least their auto attack should have 1.2k range or something.

Can anyone give feedback on the mistfire wolves?

That’s all for now.

If you don’t like GoEP as a stun-breaker (I’m not in love with it myself) check out Arcane Shield, which this patch made a stun breaker, without actually mentioning it in the notes.

(Another stealth buff: Healing Rain is now cast-able on the move! Woo!)

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

Posted by: ATC Alpha.4098

ATC Alpha.4098

If you don’t like GoEP as a stun-breaker (I’m not in love with it myself) check out Arcane Shield, which this patch made a stun breaker, without actually mentioning it in the notes.

(Another stealth buff: Healing Rain is now cast-able on the move! Woo!)

Yeah I noticed it when the patch was released, gotta get used to it, but 75s CD is a bit long and feels a bit useless since it’s not often you need a stun break PLUS those blocks at the same time. Ah well have to adapt, I’ll definitely use it though.

I run with storms glyph, signet of water and I swap the last slot to whatever is needed (arc wave, flash, air signet and included arc shield now.

Just saying that stun break on ele power glyph doesn’t make any sense, IMO. Not sure I’d use it anyway, could’ve kept a stun breaker on one of the cantrips instead.

Posted by: Fury of Balthazar.2694

Fury of Balthazar.2694

Quality of life updates are the best kind of updates in my view (AoE looting, Right click toggle, account bound blueprints, bug fixes, better enemy AoE red lines, item preview in TP, etc) I’ve been dreaming my entire life for an update to be only additions of this kind.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Gee, I guess I can’t do the dungeons I did with my ranger now. They suck. /sarcasm

Rangers isn’t much worse off now in dungeons than they were before. Particularly because the best pets to use in dungeons for anyone who’s not running with a group of zerker warriors, are spiders, which are ranged.

It’s the old, omg I’m playing with people who are so interested in effiicency they don’t want me. And that hasn’t changed since before the patch. The elitists and speed runners didn’t want you a week ago and they don’t want you today.

And the rangers in my guild will still run with the guild, and they’ll still get the same groups.

So what exactly has changed for a ranger? Honestly, it’s not as much as people think. I’m not killing stuff significantly slower, and yes, I main a ranger.

Posted by: blud.8174

blud.8174

>Insect Swarm: This skill can no longer fire behind the drake.

Wtf? Why not? Drakes take so long to cast their attack that marsh drake was the only one that could actually land a hit. They act like this made it so OP.

I feel like Rangers have been qq’ing and kitten-talking to the devs for so long that someone decided to get revenge.

It’s rather funny. After months of complaining that pets died too fast, they increase pet health and toughness (mostly big pets like drakes and bears). Then they decide that they made pets too strong so what do they do? They make them worse than they were before.

When everyone else was freaking out and complaining, I stayed faithful and decided that what I cared more than pets being OP is build diversity and gave anet the benefit of the doubt. I see now that I was wrong. Three steps forward, two steps back.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

My Necro is loving her new buffs.

My Ranger is loving the Longbow buffs, since she used LB over SB, although I can understand why others would be upset over the changes. I’m disappointed at the damage nerfs to many pets, although I can understand ANet’s rationale in wanting to tone them down a little; in some cases, the pet can end up dealing double or more the damage of the Ranger, even without fully speccing into Beastmastery!

My Warrior will require re-traiting, although not majorly. Thanks for the free respec, ANet!

Phantasms got quite a severe nerf, although the buff to Signet of Illusions is welcome. I’ll need to play around with my Mesmer some more before giving a verdict.

As a Staff Elementalist who rarely used cantrips, it’s been nothing but buffs for me this patch.

morrolan.9608

Quality of life updates are the best kind of updates in my view (AoE looting, Right click toggle, account bound blueprints, bug fixes, better enemy AoE red lines, item preview in TP, etc) I’ve been dreaming my entire life for an update to be only additions of this kind.

You obviously don’t play a ranger or mesmer. Its anything but for them.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-June-25th-2013

Highlights:
-aoe looting
-outmanned buff now hidden
-numerous class/trait fixes (we already knew from before)
-introduced mortar mastery line
-loot bug with rich dragon coffers, compensation distribution shortly
-gem store item gifting
-plush drop rate from BL kit is increased, but still a rare drop
-New Legendaries kidding

I liked how you called them class/trait fixes.. made me laugh thank you.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Gee, I guess I can’t do the dungeons I did with my ranger now. They suck. /sarcasm

Rangers isn’t much worse off now in dungeons than they were before. Particularly because the best pets to use in dungeons for anyone who’s not running with a group of zerker warriors, are spiders, which are ranged.

It’s the old, omg I’m playing with people who are so interested in effiicency they don’t want me. And that hasn’t changed since before the patch. The elitists and speed runners didn’t want you a week ago and they don’t want you today.

And the rangers in my guild will still run with the guild, and they’ll still get the same groups.

So what exactly has changed for a ranger? Honestly, it’s not as much as people think. I’m not killing stuff significantly slower, and yes, I main a ranger.

Uh…why wouldn’t you run an efficient build? I mean I play how I want, but my builds are efficient for what they are. I really don’t imagine that people go around and build their trait lines for condition damage then wear Clerics armor…or do they?

This patch affecting the Ranger profession doesn’t really have anything to do with efficiency as much as blind stupidity. An almost across the board nerf to pet damage…compensated for by…..nothing. Apparently someone, somewhere thought pets were way overpowered (probably a thief). The beastmaster Ranger builds were anything but OP, personally I considered them more of a baseline that I would have liked to have seen the rest of the builds brought up to. Instead they were nerfed to the mediocrity of the rest of the builds.

The staff ele changes have been sorely needed for quite awhile, so grats to the balance team for that. But, seriously, wtf was with the ranger nerfs. It certainly wasn’t because Rangers are OP in pve, which leaves the blanket nerfs at the feet of PvP or WvW…which they are supposed to be separating.

I suppose someone didn’t get the memo.

And you’re right, they aren’t much worse off in dungeons now than before. They weren’t a valued member of a dungeon team before, and they still aren’t now.

(edited by killcannon.2576)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Nice. You are now arguing that your definition of a class that Anet created is better than that of the people who created the class.

I’m pointing out that the person was ignorant of basic English for thinking ‘ranger’ meant ranged… they have no basis for that thinking other than the sound of a word.

As for the ArenaNet argument… look at what the class does. It’s not a WoW hunter…

Correct. Being “unparalleled archers” implies neither being the most powerful ranged class nor functioning only a ranged class. In fact, the term “ranged class” really doesn’t even apply to the class design in this game at all.

This expression refers to their intended versatility at range, which they are unmatched at now between axes, shortbows, and longbows. The warrior’s longbow and rifle both, while powerful, are also more specialized.

Rangers actually are the best ranged fighters when you think of being “the best” in terms of being highly versatile and well-rounded rather than merely having uber DPS.

That is totally wrong

un·par·al·leled
/??n?par??leld/
Adjective
Having no parallel or equal; exceptional.
Synonyms
matchless – unmatched – incomparable – peerless

“Unparalleled archers” means nothing with a bow is better than they are, “the best in every aspect of a bow be it damage range and speed” fits very well, which is obviously false, as Rangers are not as good as Warriors and Thieves with bows, so what you say is wrong and totally false…

Vayne.8563

Uh…why wouldn’t you run an efficient build? I mean I play how I want, but my builds are efficient for what they are. I really don’t imagine that people go around and build their trait lines for condition damage then wear Clerics armor…or do they?

This patch affecting the Ranger profession doesn’t really have anything to do with efficiency as much as blind stupidity. An almost across the board nerf to pet damage…compensated for by…..nothing. Apparently someone, somewhere thought pets were way overpowered. The beastmaster Ranger builds were anything but OP, personally I considered them more of a baseline that I would have liked to have seen the rest of the builds brought up to. Instead they were nerfed to the mediocrity of the rest of the builds.

The staff ele changes have been sorely needed for quite awhile, so grats to the balance team for that. But, seriously, wtf was with the ranger nerfs. It certainly wasn’t because Rangers are OP in pve, which leaves the blanket nerfs at the feet of PvP or WvW…which they are supposed to be separating.

And you’re right, they aren’t much worse off in dungeons now than before. They weren’t a valued member of a dungeon team before, and they still aren’t now.

I play to have fun…not to be efficient. When I worked, I was efficient as hell. I don’t need to be efficient in my down time.

I played a zerker warrior, I walked through stuff, didn’t find it fun and stopped. It wasn’t fun. I play to have fun. I play to challenge myself. Playing a profession that takes longer to down a boss (because I’m not running any races) doesn’t negatively affect the game for me, it positively affects the game for me.

Some people down bosses in 10 seconds or less. It trivializes them. Me, it might take me a couple of minutes and maybe, in the case of something like Project Alpha or Lupi, I can work up a sweat. Why is that a bad thing? Because it takes me longer? I don’t care. My guildies don’t care. Why? Get this.

Because we’ve having fun playing together. Doing an hour dungeon run while having fun is superior to me to doing a fifteen minute dungeon run while having fun. My way, I stretch out my fun to one hour.

killcannon.2576

This patch affecting the Ranger profession doesn’t really have anything to do with efficiency as much as blind stupidity. An almost across the board nerf to pet damage…compensated for by…..nothing. Apparently someone, somewhere thought pets were way overpowered. The beastmaster Ranger builds were anything but OP, personally I considered them more of a baseline that I would have liked to have seen the rest of the builds brought up to. Instead they were nerfed to the mediocrity of the rest of the builds.

I play to have fun…not to be efficient. When I worked, I was efficient as hell. I don’t need to be efficient in my down time.

I played a zerker warrior, I walked through stuff, didn’t find it fun and stopped. It wasn’t fun. I play to have fun. I play to challenge myself. Playing a profession that takes longer to down a boss (because I’m not running any races) doesn’t negatively affect the game for me, it positively affects the game for me.

Some people down bosses in 10 seconds or less. It trivializes them. Me, it might take me a couple of minutes and maybe, in the case of something like Project Alpha or Lupi, I can work up a sweat. Why is that a bad thing? Because it takes me longer? I don’t care. My guildies don’t care. Why? Get this.

Because we’ve having fun playing together. Doing an hour dungeon run while having fun is superior to me to doing a fifteen minute dungeon run while having fun. My way, I stretch out my fun to one hour.

What does that have to do with the balance patch? Are you trying to say that they are balancing the game around players who blissfully mismanage their trait lines and armor builds? Or what? I don’t get it, if Mario was balanced like that, he would be a stumbling, overweight, drunk who beat his kids. ……Actually, I would play that game.

Glad you have fun though, I guess.

morrolan.9608

See now you’re just making up reasons to defend anet.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Vayne.8563

I’m not defending Anet at all. I’m saying that rangers aren’t as broken as people say they are EXCEPT in dungeons, where they were already broken. I’m saying that the changes haven’t changed anything I do in the game. That’s not defending Anet.

I do think the PvE pet damage should have been left alone, and only PvP damage should have been changed, but then, that’s just my opinion. I obviously don’t min/max so I don’t pay as much attention to the numbers.

But then there’s the other side of the argument. MOST people don’t min/max. Only a small percentage of the playerbase are min-maxers. Most players aren’t competitive PvE’ers. If I wanted to be competitive, I’d PvP more.

So this change really affects mostly dungeon runners, who play rangers, most of whom if they were playing with competitive people weren’t getting into groups already. I’m not sure what’s changed.

No I’m not defending Anet. I’m defending a play style.

killcannon.2576

I’m not defending Anet at all. I’m saying that rangers aren’t as broken as people say they are EXCEPT in dungeons, where they were already broken. I’m saying that the changes haven’t changed anything I do in the game. That’s not defending Anet.

I do think the PvE pet damage should have been left alone, and only PvP damage should have been changed, but then, that’s just my opinion. I obviously don’t min/max so I don’t pay as much attention to the numbers.

But then there’s the other side of the argument. MOST people don’t min/max. Only a small percentage of the playerbase are min-maxers. Most players aren’t competitive PvE’ers. If I wanted to be competitive, I’d PvP more.

So this change really affects mostly dungeon runners, who play rangers, most of whom if they were playing with competitive people weren’t getting into groups already. I’m not sure what’s changed.

Well, you don’t have to defend your play style, because I don’t see anyone attacking it.

You should play to have fun, whatever that may be for you or anyone else.

Vayne.8563

Well, you don’t have to defend your play style, because I don’t see anyone attacking it.

You should play to have fun, whatever that may be for you or anyone else.

But people DO attack the play style. And more, people make it sound as if no one but me, or a few people play casually and don’t care about the numbers so much, and I don’t think it’s true.

I was out in the world. I played my ranger. I didn’t have any more problems than I usually did. That’s what I’m “reporting” and the general consensus is that well it’s nice that you play that way but us good players are unhappy.

And I’m wagering there are more of me out there than min-maxers.

I agree there are people who do dungeons. No one wanted them yesterday so I’m not sure why no one wanting them today is such an issue.

And in other guilds, in people that play like me, everyone is fine with taking a ranger.

But I do think that Anet should have left the PvE pet damage alone.

killcannon.2576

I don’t think you have to be a min/maxer to have a competent build or understanding of your class. You certainly don’t need to min/max to run the content in this game (besides spvp), but it works in your favor if you understand your class mechanics and what you can or can not do.

I don’t care how anyone plays, (unless they are a baddie and are in a dungeon with me and don’t listen to common sense advice), my only complaint is that the nerf was unnecessary. I can generally run around half armored and complete the content, but it’s no excuse to throw 20 percent damage nerfs around because thieves have problems with pets.

(edited by killcannon.2576)

morrolan.9608

Thats not really the argument the fact remains that in a patch where the majority of classes received buffs of varying degrees rangers received the most significant nerf, when they were widely regarded as the weakest class pre patch except for 1 particular bunker build. By defending it you come across like you’re defending the changes as reasonable.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Vayne.8563

Thats not really the argument the fact remains that in a patch where the majority of classes received buffs of varying degrees rangers received the most significant nerf, when they were widely regarded as the weakest class pre patch except for 1 particular bunker build. By defending it you come across like you’re defending the changes as reasonable.

Do you know the expression storm in a tea cup?

By me not feeling the effects, I’m saying I don’t feel the effects. That’s it.

I’m not saying Anet should have done it or shouldn’t have done it. I’m saying these changes aren’t affecting my game significantly enough for me to notice. It’s just a point of view.

I’ll leave it to people who play more with numbers to discuss whether is should or shouldn’t be done, but I have a sneaking suspicion it was necessary for SPvP, and shouldn’t have been done in PvE.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

So far? I played some elementalist, engineer, ranger and necromancer today.

Elementalist: Other than the removal of the stun break from Cleansing Fire and the addition of stun breaker to Arcane Shield, no changes at all. Net zero.

Engineer: Nothing in my build (if you can call it that) changed.

Ranger: Not liking the pull added to Path of Scars all that much. When I’m in ax/ax I don’t really want the mobs on my doorstep. I can see a way to use it with switch to GS after using Path, though. Pet changes? I still believe that rangers are being shafted by having a pet in the first place, but I can make do.

Necromancer: All the buffs that everyone else seems to like left me unmoved. It seems like ANet is continuing to think of necromancer as an attrition class and funneling builds towards conditions. That’s all well and good for those who like that play-style. However, why have two weapons of the four 2/main hand weapons available to the necro (ax, dagger, staff, scepter) as direct damage weapons but limiting the class’s ability to do direct damage? The necro power GC build took a hit today with the removal of vulnerability from Spectral Wall. Ax continues to have one of the worst auto-attacks in the game, especially for short range, and dagger damage is pathetic in comparison to all other dagger-using classes. For me, this patch didn’t apply a big nerf, but it did a small one — and it certainly didn’t improve my build at all.

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

Ranger pet changes were a bit drastic.
There’s no need to make a class that already underperforms in dungeons even worse based on how they perform in an entirely different aspect of the game.
Although, was anybody really surprised by these foolish changes? The ANet balancing team has proven their incompetence many times ever since the games release by failing to actually balance the classes and failing to separate pve balancing from pvp balancing.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Ranger pet changes were a bit drastic.
There’s no need to make a class that already underperforms in dungeons even worse based on how they perform in an entirely different aspect of the game.
Although, was anybody really surprised by these foolish changes? The ANet balancing team has proven their incompetence many times ever since the games release by failing to actually balance the classes and failing to separate pve balancing from pvp balancing.

I was actually foolish enough to believe the leaked patch notes were a clever hoax. Joke’s on me I guess.

Though to be honest, they really did look crazy enough to be fake. The balance team should quit whatever substance they’ve been smoking…I think it’s messing with their heads.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Different play styles are fine, and I myself am not a min-maxer, but peak efficiency should always be compared to peak efficiency when it comes to balancing professions. I’m not saying Anet botched the balance of this profession or that with this patch, as I think these sorts of patches need time to breathe before judgment is passed. But on a general principle kind of thing everyone who wants to go all-out should be equally effective when doing so.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Just to let everyone know…

The recent patch changes to Ranger, have also introduced at least 12+ new bugs across weapon skills/pets/utility skills…none of them good bugs either…

Its very similar to what they did to Engineer when a few months back when they changed a load of there skills, dozens of bugs effected the Engineer.

Probably take a couple of months to fix those bugs…

If you want details…go read the Ranger sub forum…lots of bleak…lol…humour going on there anyway!

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Just to let everyone know…

The recent patch changes to Ranger, have also introduced at least 12+ new bugs across weapon skills/pets/utility skills…none of them good bugs either…

Its very similar to what they did to Engineer when a few months back when they changed a load of there skills, dozens of bugs effected the Engineer.

Probably take a couple of months to fix those bugs…

If you want details…go read the Ranger sub forum…lots of bleak…lol…humour going on there anyway!

Just b4 the topic was closed, someone was mentioning on another thread ppl complain all the time about PVP profession balancing. Wouldnt happen if you don’t play PVP at all.

Also as a guy with all 8 classes overall at least Anet has achieved perfect balance at last. My mesmer and ranger QQs while my thief and necro

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Just b4 the topic was closed, someone was mentioning on another thread ppl complain all the time about PVP profession balancing. Wouldnt happen if you don’t play PVP at all.

I don’t entirely understand what you mean by this, but I’ll toss this out there anyway.

If no one played PvP, Anet would shove even more balance changes down our throats, to try and entice people into playing PvP.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

I don’t entirely understand what you mean by this, but I’ll toss this out there anyway.

If no one played PvP, Anet would shove even more balance changes down our throats, to try and entice people into playing PvP.

Was that snark? I can’t tell.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I run a BM damage build with Jaguar. Honestly, the nerf was needed. The kittenin build was ridiculous, killing an Ele within 2-3 seconds only with the pet (as seen in WvW). Also, what’s all the fuzz about SB range 900? It’s still a quite far distance. Since I roam in full berserker/damage build, I use the more power-based LB.

Btw I tested the Ranger yesterday a bit and the pets are still super powerful. So just calm down, it was needed.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

I imagine this has got to be annoying for rangers. I mean, not for me—I run mostly longbow, not BM build, and I run birds because that’s what fits the character—but I’m pretty sure I was in the minority.

I run birds too, you missed the massive nerfs to them as well, my eagle is now likely retired.

Posted by: Myst.5783

Myst.5783

I’m glad I tossed my ranger in the trash long ago.

Elementalist changes were eh, they made S/D a little more interesting though.

Currently playing: Mesmer/Ele/Theif
JQ

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I like this patch – good job, Anet. And I don’t mind if I’m in the minority on these forums. I think it did balance professions out, and it encourages diversity.

Sure, nerf the shortbow for the rangers. Now, it acts like a shortbow should relatively to the longbow. Before, it was just like a different longbow.

Similarly, Mesmers can’t play just by getting out three illusions and immediately shattering them all the time. Shattering is still an option, shattering will still cause daze/confusion/whatever you originally wanted them to with just a measly 5 traits in that line … but now your illusions have more health and will last longer, giving you other more viable ways to play. Also it means that timing your shatter effect will be more important … that’s not a bad thing, and was, as I understand it, the way Mesmers were meant to be thinking originally (according to all guides I’ve read anyway). Many players have been asking for more difficult gameplay, this is one way to add it – profession skill management takes some skill.

Once they fix a few issues, I think the Warrior will be fine. Engineers could have had a few more issues worked out for them, but overall, it’s not a bad result for them. Needless to say, Necros are buffed, but I don’t think they’re OP now as a result, and I never had an issue with Thieves in the first place. I have seen some posts saying that Anet balances the game around Thieves … I think this is an overreaction.

Overall, I like the patch. I think it changes some weapons so they are more suited to their weapon classification (eg the shortbow, as detailed above) and generally think that people will come around to this.

Kerin.9125

Sure, nerf the shortbow for the rangers. Now, it acts like a shortbow should relatively to the longbow. Before, it was just like a different longbow.

You conveniently seem to overlook the huge nerf to BMs here.

CrossedHorse.4261

“conveniently”? Not really … see a couple of posts above mine (by ProtoGunner). A BM ranger perfectly ok with the patch.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

>Insect Swarm: This skill can no longer fire behind the drake.

Wtf? Why not? Drakes take so long to cast their attack that marsh drake was the only one that could actually land a hit. They act like this made it so OP.

I feel like Rangers have been qq’ing and kitten-talking to the devs for so long that someone decided to get revenge.

It’s rather funny. After months of complaining that pets died too fast, they increase pet health and toughness (mostly big pets like drakes and bears). Then they decide that they made pets too strong so what do they do? They make them worse than they were before.

When everyone else was freaking out and complaining, I stayed faithful and decided that what I cared more than pets being OP is build diversity and gave anet the benefit of the doubt. I see now that I was wrong. Three steps forward, two steps back.

Weird isn’t it. Hands down the best design for pets in on the elephant in the room. They had their own talent trees their own roles, that pet class had a real option to make pets their own focus, and pets didn’t have skills that missed or caused them to be clunky or useless. They had AOE immunity % so that they didn’t die within 2 seconds of having them out. They also got some of the stats from their owner.

What they have in this game doesn’t even touch it, not even close.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Kerin.9125

“conveniently”? Not really … see a couple of posts above mine (by ProtoGunner). A BM ranger perfectly ok with the patch.

He’s a PVPer, he was talking PVP, he makes my point for me .. PVEers are collateral damage to keep his kind happy.

CrossedHorse.4261

He’s a PVPer, he was talking PVP, he makes my point for me .. PVEers are collateral damage to keep his kind happy.

OK, from a PvE perspective then. My partner plays a BM ranger, and is perfectly fine with the changes. The Ranger by himself is perfectly capable of putting out good damage (obviously not as much as a DPS Warrior, but we aren’t expecting that). Add a very powerful pet with a huge leash distance etc, etc, the Ranger’s total power output when managed well was insane. There’s still enough in the build to make up for the nerf to pet damage and range, and yes, of course it involves changing a few things around, but that’s the diversity element. Now, there’s a decent amount of input required in a fight from both Ranger and pet, and I am happy with it.

This is not, by the way, be doing anything other than expressing my personal opinion. You are also entitled to yours – this is simply me responding to your question. I don’t think everyone should shut up and be happy – of course not. That’s not the nature of people. But I do think that the nerf to the Ranger is not so terrible, and that after a little adjustment, people will start to see that. I was very much in the camp where I thought Ranger pets were OP (after initial buffs) and, for another example, the shortbow wasn’t performing as it should, rather over-performing. So for me, this nerf has brought both to a level where I personally believe they are performing as they should. I do not at all expect people to have to agree with this.

But generally, I have tried every profession in this game out, and I distinctly remember saying to my partner that compared to several other classes, I found the Ranger very easy. Maybe it’s just my playstyle suits it or something, but now I find it to me more equal to the other chars I have. So for me, that’s balance.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

The only reason minor buffs are thrown out to Ranger amidst these nerfs is so that people on forums who don’t play the ranger think we got actual buffs.

‘Yeah shortbow now has no range to it but you got 20 extra damage on a few utilities, massive buff’

‘call lightning now hits hard, massive buff! Who cares if it is a skill used by a spirit that can get one shot by any mob so impossible to get off’

‘Theif got a nerf this is the worst thing ever, at least your spirits that have a 10 second internal cooldown got an increased chance to activate its skills which was a never a problem anyway.’

All paraphrasing of things I have seen after Ranger nerfs (the third one obviously not being after this patch).

Kerin.9125

OK, from a PvE perspective then.

Okay, thanks, now you’ve explained your perspective I can at least disagree with you honestly.

I don’t agree with you because I see no need for ‘balance’ in the PVE game, if a spec is ‘easy’ then why should it be nerfed to appease those who want everything to be a ‘challenge’, there are many other options for that.

Rangers (and Hunters and whatever other MMOs call them) are usually the most played class for one obvious reason: they’re EASY. People like playing them!

I do. I have 4 × 90s ATM, Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist and Ranger and Ranger is by far the most fun of them due to it being less stressful than the others: I resent and see no reason why the ‘fun’ factor has to be taken away from me, and those like me, simply to make one out of many specs ‘challenging’ for those who prefer that playstyle.

To re-state, I’m talking PVE here, GW2 is one of the least ‘competitive’ PVE games I play, there is no need for ‘balance’ in PVE; in PVP I entirely agree that ‘balance’ is vital, and I maintain this huge nerf is simply pandering to PVPer whining, I see no history of complaints about OP Rangers in PVE content.

(edited by Kerin.9125)

CrossedHorse.4261

OK, from a PvE perspective then.

Okay, thanks, now you’ve explained your perspective I can at least disagree with you honestly.

I don’t agree with you because I see no need for ‘balance’ in the PVE game, if a spec is ‘easy’ then why should it be nerfed to appease those who want everything to be a ‘challenge’, there are many other options for that.

Rangers (and Hunters and whatever other MMOs call them) are usually the most played class for one obvious reason: they’re EASY. People like playing them!

I do. I have 4 × 90s ATM, Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist and Ranger and Ranger is by far the most fun of them due to it being less stressful than the others: I resent and see no reason why the ‘fun’ factor has to be taken away from me, and those like me, simply to make one out of many specs ‘challenging’ for those who prefer that playstyle.

To re-state, I’m talking PVE here, GW2 is one of the least ‘competitive’ PVE games I play, there is no need for ‘balance’ in PVE; in PVP I entirely agree that ‘balance’ is vital, and I maintain this huge nerf is simply pandering to PVPer whining, I see no history of complaints about OP Rangers in PVE content.

Thanks Good discussion, and I totally see your point. And that is an extremely valid point.

I think the problem we’d end up with is similar to the issues we see surrounding Warrior and Guardian builds. This is where people who play them often complain they’re too easy: “OMG, levels 1-70 are a cakewalk – I faceroll mobs” etc. Which can lead to people who find these classes more of a challenge for whatever reason to feel bad, or other players to feel superior because they use a “harder” class. Personally, I dislike people with this attitude, but I have no issue with a particular class being very strong in PvE. I too enjoy playing the Ranger because it was easier than, say, my Necro.

However, we then have people complain about it. And this is where the balance aspect comes in and you start seeing nerfs for balance.

Again, in my view, these aren’t terrible, and they don’t ruin the game. Generally, my posts weren’t to say the nerfs were necessary, OMG everything was broken in PvE etc, not at all. If you read many “balance” threads about PvE you’ll see I actively defend people from the “OMG faceroll” stuff. I was trying mostly to suggest that people were overreacting, in my opinion, to say they “nerfed the Ranger to the ground” and throwing up their hands and declaring they’d leave the game. It’s not like they made the Ranger useless or as though the way they were playing is the only way the Ranger can be played.

I appreciate that people want to feel powerful and agree that they should be able to in a non-competitive PvE mode. But at the same time, that will be why you see people QQ’ing that there isn’t any challenge in the game – give us more rewarding content! I don’t disagree that many of these changes might have been largely the result of PvP players complaining, but I don’t agree that Anet only listen to PvPers and never PvE players.

So Anet need to balance all these things out. The Ranger, after looking at mine last night, is still powerful and still a strong class.

I’m sorry you feel the way you feel about the latest patch. I genuinely hope that you don’t find your enjoyment of the game and the Ranger class in general has gone now.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

a question…
They ask our feedback

Did they EVER give us a FEEDBACK about the horrible pve unbalance?
something about what are they doing to make every class equally viable and to give us build diversity?

Would be good considering they just destroyed so many innocent pve builds with a single pvp patch.

Why they don t say something to concenrned PvE players that lost all the faith they have in this game?
That every time they reroll sees their equipment become useless after investing time to get it?

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

So I tried the dungeon yesterday. The first boss with the lasers is exactly how I like my dungeons. Not necessarily all DPS/tanking but strategy, moving and quick thinking/reactions.

I found it too easy, would have been nice to have a 3rd set of lasers that go the opposite direction.

The 2nd boss was interesting too but the mortar part really needs to be shortened. It’s way too long.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

He’s “okay” since (according to what he wrote) he’s running with berserk longbow build. Yes, this poor quality build didn’t get affected that much

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Why they don t say something to concenrned PvE players that lost all the faith they have in this game?
That every time they reroll sees their equipment become useless after investing time to get it?

PvP is the focus of this game. Always has been. Look at the new instance, people are completing it in Rares and lower. In exotic/ascended gear it’s a faceroll no matter your spec or gear choice.

There are very few PvE events that cannot be completed at max level, with a pug, in rares. Because of this, even though there is a gap between those groups and the 4 zerk War + addition groups it isn’t a huge deal to fix or worry about this. Like some of the posters above, many people have no problem with taking 30 min to an hour to clear dungeon content, do it daily and with a smile and many don’t even know they are doing it slow compared to the 5-15 min runs.

Of course as always, the mobs are not complaining about good PvE classes being OP… and of course the players don’t complain about it as much as they complain about certain gear being OP or elitism. But we do complain about a class in PvP being OP because that directly and adversely effects us. Where the OP PvE class just helps us do content faster. There is no raid lockout, there is no inability to get into the dungeon you want based on class.

Heck I did my daily fractals last night with a PUG team that consisted of my Ele, 1 warrior, 2 rangers, and a thief. And at about an hour per daily we not only made good time, but were effective and without wipes. Sure If I was on my guardian with 4 zerk wars We would have made better time. But the point is that PvE just isn’t as important to balance as PvP is.

I know it sucks if all you do is play the PvE aspect of the game because then you don’t understand all the changes. And Im not saying it’s right that they do that. But that is pretty much why.

And because it’s bugging the crap out of me…

That is totally wrong

un·par·al·leled
/??n?par??leld/
Adjective
Having no parallel or equal; exceptional.
Synonyms
matchless – unmatched – incomparable – peerless

“Unparalleled archers” means nothing with a bow is better than they are, “the best in every aspect of a bow be it damage range and speed” fits very well, which is obviously false, as Rangers are not as good as Warriors and Thieves with bows, so what you say is wrong and totally false…

Unparalleled means having no equal just like your quoted definition says. Being the complete worst means you have no equal, being the complete best means you have no equal they are both unparalleled.

Unparalleled does not mean best. Something can be exceptionally bad, or incomparably horrid, they are not necessarily good terms, he was right. Though you could assume Anet did mean it in a positive light.

Kerin.9125

PvP is the focus of this game. Always has been.

Um, no, a game can’t be said to be PVP focused when PVP is tucked away in its own zones, out of the way.

At the absolute most you can argue PVP and PVE are equal, though you’d be hard to show that the majority of layers ever PVP.