Patch Today: Key Farming Impacted

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Well, guess it’s time to dump those Black Lion Chests (currently have 63 of them), unless I somehow get a key. Inventory space has become more important than those chests.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

In 2 years of playing this game i got 2? key drops……
also i would understand key sale as reason, but tbh buying BL keys is worst idea possible, 90% of those just give you useless boosters

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I was in the middle of a key run when the patch hit. I was curious to see if the previous day key run counted, and it didn’t. Got my weekly key.

Really does a number on key farming. Assuming one key per 3 chests ( and no bad RNG) it will take about 30 weeks to get one ticket by key farming, or one ticket every 7 to 8 months.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I wonder if one of the reasons for doing this is to help the servers. I can’t imagine that having a large number of characters created & deleted over and over is good for long term server health.

I liked key farming here and there as a way to use up tomes, but it got boring for me real fast. Oh well. An end of an era.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I don’t keyfarm enough to affected by this but it’s still unpleasant. If Anet want people to buy Black Lions Keys instead of spending time on alternatives, make buying them worthwhile instead of packing the chests full of garbage like boosters or, worse, booster dust.

Exactly. Get rid of most of the kittening junk, and more would probably spend actual money on keys.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Eldbrand Charging.8902

Eldbrand Charging.8902

F2P accounts getting key’s, thats the reason for it.

Just a flesh wound.3589

F2P accounts getting key’s, thats the reason for it.

F2p accounts can’t transfer the tickets, weapons or gold earned to another account. If they farm keys, everything stays on them and they are still restricted to the once a week key runs.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Best decision ever, now we can directly destroy our awesome first, second and third birthday gift on every char.
It’s so unbelievable great to be a long time customer, you can feel how much anet cares for us!

How about the next step? Maybe limit the exotic and rare items to one drop per month on each account? That would bring some billion more f2p player for sure!

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: Image.8630

Image.8630

I’d love to know the % increase… from what to what? .0000001 to .00000011 ? LOL
I think key drop rate is just a small fraction more then precursors. In 3 years, if I got 5 as drops its really really good.

Posted by: Kalendraf.9521

Kalendraf.9521

I’d prefer if they would remove Black Lion Keys and Black Lion Chests from the game entirely, and just sell all the obtainable items from the gemstore directly.

Get rid of the gambling and the horrid RNG in one fell swoop.

HoD – [CV] Charter Vanguard

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

There really no reason to be such drama queens over this. The key farming while fun or good, most likely was never the best idea, and we should be happy it stuck around as long as it did. Plus we do not know the full impact of the update yet, so till we do, there no reason to go over the deep end with insults and such.

Posted by: Blood Mist Mirage.5610

Blood Mist Mirage.5610

Seems like an awesome change to me. Key farming was never intended, keys are supposed to be a major contribution to their gem store sales, but were being significantly undermined by key farming.

Hopefully with the restrictions in place they can increase the drop rates in the chests now so people will buy keys again.

If you or Anet think this is going to make much of a difference in gem store revenue from players making 1-3+ key runs a week, it won’t.

Not a chance I’m going to open up my wallet to buy keys and foolishly gamble for pixel items in a video game. The whales will continue to buy, and the rest of us will use gold>tp>skin.

A better idea would be to drop that team running the Gem store once and for all and actually start producing items players want, great sales (not like the lackluster one we had), and bringing items back players have been throwing money at their screen for.

This, this, and more of this.

Only nerds read this.

Posted by: HidingCat.4037

HidingCat.4037

They specifically said the level 10 story only. So you should be fine at the other levels. Just don’t do more than 1 char per week for the lvl 10 story. Doing 1 char at lvl 10 should NOT effect doing any of the other levels for PS. Unless they bugged it some how.

Good point. I still have to be careful though!

Posted by: Caledfwlch.3751

Caledfwlch.3751

I’d prefer if they would remove Black Lion Keys and Black Lion Chests from the game entirely, and just sell all the obtainable items from the gemstore directly.

Get rid of the gambling and the horrid RNG in one fell swoop.

You are entirely right.
Why buy keys with gems if the drop rate in those chests is horrible. Just remove them completely and put those items in gem store pls.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

key farming died for me when they made you jump through the hoop of getting to lv10.
i had key farming down to little over 10 mins, it was a fun way to pass the time and a challenge to see if you could beat your quickest time!

shame they nerfed it, and now are totally killing it.

for a company who once used the slogan “play your way” they seem to be very keen to control how you play XD

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Does this mean there will actually be something worth while in BLC now other than god of RNG ? Nope? Thought not.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Good, I’d much rather have a chance at getting keys from doing content I enjoy than mindlessly grinding the same story instance.

Well lets hope they up-ed the key drops by at least 1000% (maybe more… honestly I think keys are almost as rare as precursors…).

If I include the mystic forge, I’ve actually gotten more precursors than BL key drops. Without the forge, they’re equal.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Seth Moonshadow.2710

Seth Moonshadow.2710

WOW!! This is a bummer if they do not drop much more frequently! I understand the hit the servers are taking from all the chars being created, re-created and raced to level 10 Story hit then do it again. That is only because the keys drop rate is just as infrequent as a precursor is! If the drop rate is increased to something more like it was in the first year then that will be an AWESOME change. One I am sure most of us will be happy with. Since in the first year you used to get 1 key for every 2 chests.

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please ! Make the Keys a Rare drop not an extremely haven’t seen one in a year drop rate!! Have them drop from Rare Loot bags and higher, add them to world boss bonus reward chest, create events that reward them!? The only reason I farmed was because since year 2 & 3 I have had 1 key drop.

I am absolutely willing to trade my key char in for a perma level 80 char as long as the keys are truely a “rare” drop and not rivaling that of a precursor.

One key in two years with an average of 200+MF is not remotely close to fair.

| Dungeon Adventures | Blackgate | PvE | Lost Precipice | Gilded Hallow | Windswept Haven (soon)
http://www.dungeon-adventures.com

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ve just run around Cursed Shore gathering Hero Points and killing Risen that got in my way. I didn’t seek out large groups of mobs, I didn’t do events as my focus was topping off my necro’s points so she’ll be Reaper ready. But I did kill more than I would have if not for the patch. I believe I spent 60 to 90 minutes on this.

No keys dropped. One person in map said “yeh” when someone else asked if anyone had seen keys dropped, but may have been replying to an unrelated map comment.

Note: I am not complaining or upset, just offering a minimal starting data point on the supposed drop change.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Good, I’d much rather have a chance at getting keys from doing content I enjoy than mindlessly grinding the same story instance.

Well lets hope they up-ed the key drops by at least 1000% (maybe more… honestly I think keys are almost as rare as precursors…).

If I include the mystic forge, I’ve actually gotten more precursors than BL key drops. Without the forge, they’re equal.

I don’t know whether I should laugh or cry at how true that is…

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Do people really think the increased drop rates are going to make up for it? Not that I keyfarm a lot anymore (not since they changed it to have a level requirement) so it won’t really impact me, but people thinking that they’ll get more keys from just doing regular content are out of their gourds. They could double, triple, even raise the chance by 500% and it won’t even be noticeable because the chance is so small.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

How about geting keys from completing Triple Trouble, maybe this will finally get people to do that boss.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I’d be surprised if the drop was upped by any noticeable amount. To Anet as an overview, they will see it, but to the ordinary player, I doubt we will.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Kind of removes a big use for the tomes. I have a bunch of them, at least a stack. Guess I’ll convert them to spirit shards, that I don’t use either,

ANet may give it to you.

Seth Moonshadow.2710

Do people really think the increased drop rates are going to make up for it? Not that I keyfarm a lot anymore (not since they changed it to have a level requirement) so it won’t really impact me, but people thinking that they’ll get more keys from just doing regular content are out of their gourds. They could double, triple, even raise the chance by 500% and it won’t even be noticeable because the chance is so small.

Actually yes I am hopeful the drop rate returns to what it was in the first year! In the first year I had over 40 keys and over 80 chests! All doing just normal play, events, mobs, champions, world bosses. That was FANTABULOUS! After the second change they made to the drop rate a while back they have all but disappeared and seemed to drop less often than a precursor would. Hence the volume of players that took to key farming.

| Dungeon Adventures | Blackgate | PvE | Lost Precipice | Gilded Hallow | Windswept Haven (soon)

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I also feel like they are just trying to get every bad turn out of the way before HoT.

Here’s a bad worldwide event.
Here’s a change that will be bad for key farmers.

Now I’m more scared than hopeful for what comes next

Posted by: Powerjuergen.2790

Powerjuergen.2790

Fun is different for everyone. Leveling a character to 10 and than doing the story for a key was quite relaxing and ended with the chance to get something nice after playing about 80 minutes, although most of the times the result was not that exiting. But it was this little kick to have a least the chance to get something nice! What was the problem for Anet? Did they feel financially damaged because I made 3-5 keys per week by that? I for sure will not buy such key for gems – they are not worth it.
I´m really disappointed – the next thing nerfed that was fun to some players being in the game since the beginning. And increased rates for key drops? I´ve played almost every day in three years and had just 3 keys dropped. Can I now expect 4 within the next three years :-(

Posted by: Blood Mist Mirage.5610

Blood Mist Mirage.5610

Inb4 another update that reduces the drop because the keys were dropping too much.

Only nerds read this.

Posted by: Janus Kindle.9172

Janus Kindle.9172

Well I know the entire camp is going to be divided on this. but I think this is a terrible change. for 2 reasons firstly it has been in the game since launch (3 years of farming) now they are not nerfing the farm just limiting it to once a week well what if you make characters in a week and not a key farm then you don’t get your key at all? that is not fair at all also i started key farming recently cause i wanted BL skins. i don’t do it all day but when i do i try and get 5 keys and that is a long time of playing there is no short cut at all i am playing the content but now i am not getting my reward not fair.

the flipside is I am glad they are uping the drop rate of keys themselves but as someone has already said +10% of no chance is still no chance so thats not a good thing.

in conclusion I am a little kitten cause i wanted to farm this weekend and now there is no point

Posted by: Janus Kindle.9172

Janus Kindle.9172

How about geting keys from completing Triple Trouble, maybe this will finally get people to do that boss.

You get 1 BL key from TT wurm for AP completion? would make more sense if they gave you BL for total decap everyday that would make people do it more and really feel like they were getting rewarded that makes sense but no anet just wants us to drop money for gemstore…. boo

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Thanx for increasing Black Lion key chances to precursor chances

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

You get 1 BL key from TT wurm for AP completion? would make more sense if they gave you BL for total decap everyday that would make people do it more and really feel like they were getting rewarded that makes sense but no anet just wants us to drop money for gemstore…. boo

Oh…I didn’t know you get BL from TT wurm AP, that’s why I suggested it cause after 2 years, I have yet to find a group that can kill it.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Inb4 another update that reduces the drop because the keys were dropping too much.

Doh oh! I can actually see this happening….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

Its funny I finally started doing some key farms after buy HoT preorder. I wanted to do something with my extra char slot and all those lvl 20 instant scrolls. In reality this should never been a farmable item to begin with as in making characters and deleting them to obtain a key. All they really had to do is put the key at level 80 instead of level 10. I guess they threw us a bone and let once per week farm.

Posted by: Critical Lag.9075

Critical Lag.9075

I have yet to find a group that can kill it.

You are not looking “hard” enaugh then :p There are open communities that kill TT 3 times everyday. If you are on EU check gw2community.com.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Anet. . .rather than taking away a way to get them; why don’t you take a look at why no one wants to buy them and fix that.

-I get boosters. And no, I don’t really want them and I don’t know anyone who was happy to open a chest with them and ever said YAY. It was more like “really? screw this”.
-I get minis I already have and can’t do anything with it but throw it away. (And I pay for something I HAVE TO THROW AWAY)
-I get “Teleport to a Friend” because that’s just super useful. (That was sarcasm)
-I get unidentified dyes! (Why are they in there? You know you’ll click it and get a 1 silver dye. RNG in an RNG box. Reaaaaally?)

Unless the price of keys is around 50 gems each or the contents change I wont buy them. I’ll just farm once a week. That’s more worth it imo.

Posted by: Kalendraf.9521

Kalendraf.9521

Thanx for increasing Black Lion key chances to precursor chances

I wish precursors dropped as much as BLKs. In 3+ years of daily play, I’ve gotten about 5 BLKs as drops, compared to 0 precursor drops.

I would gladly trade finding those 5 BLKs for finding 5 precursors instead.

HoD – [CV] Charter Vanguard

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

Honestly I think its a good change, presuming Arena-net have properly balanced key drop rates all this means is the same amount of keys will be in existence, they will just be spread out among players alot more, and overall that’s a very good thing, I can actually now get keys doing content that is fun

Of course that is a big IF since we don’t know the details on the drop rates, like how often and where

CandyHearts.6025

Honestly I think its a good change, presuming Arena-net have properly balanced key drop rates all this means is the same amount of keys will be in existence, they will just be spread out among players alot more, and overall that’s a very good thing, I can actually now get keys doing content that is fun

Of course that is a big IF since we don’t know the details on the drop rates, like how often and where

Unless you’re like majority of gamers who will have to find a way to get them consistently somehow and will be farming whatever gives the best odds over and over which will render the same situation as the original.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Just my luck…stopped right before the last instance on my key farm last night. Oh well, did it today, and at least it will be easy to remember that Tuesday is key-farm reset for me. Lol.

I hope we see more keys drop out in the world; it would be nice if the drops were like the old rate of getting dyes from gathering (or even half that amount). Sigh…wishful dreaming there, I’m sure!

TJgalon.5012

I wonder if it one week from when you do it, or one week from a certin day like say tuesday cause it patch day, it we get a update that week.

CandyHearts.6025

Just my luck…stopped right before the last instance on my key farm last night. Oh well, did it today, and at least it will be easy to remember that Tuesday is key-farm reset for me. Lol.

Riiight? This actually though disappointing will be a good thing for my group. They can’t tell me “Noooo we can’t. I dont wanna”

Boy, its key-farming day! You best suit up! We got thangs ta do! XD

Seth Moonshadow.2710

Agreed!

Posted by: Ryuu.5608

Ryuu.5608

Hopefully we’ll get more info about is.. Key drop chance on Open World has always been abysmal. How about making them drop (with a more reasonable chance) on completed events through the world? That could push more people to make more events here and there..

TJgalon.5012

I know we wont get the answer officially i guess, but now i plan to do a once a week key farming with my group more so once we know how that timer works too.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

WTW!

Why? This was a good use to reduce the number of ToK that players that were already level 80 had. Are you planning on giving us another good use for ToK now that is of reasonable value? This process already had a cap on it since once people were out of ToK they would need to go and do another activity to re-acquire. This one hurts, why not make it once per day instead, that could at least be more reasonable, but a WEEK? As someone that acquired keys both ways this will make me question future purchases.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

I generally farm 1 key a day, now I’ll farm 1 key a week and play GW2 fewer hours, that may not be a bad thing, maybe even a good thing, time to play and do things that aren’t GW2.

Posted by: Sthenith.5196

Sthenith.5196

Lately i’ve only logged my account for the daily chest, i don’t even bother with actually playing the game anymore, and truth be told, seeing all the crap they pull from where the sun don’t shine… i’m glad i’ve moved on to another game where i don’t get screwed over time and again.

I’ve asked some guildies what they thought about the events and changes…. not much of a surprise there, considering 80% of the guild doesn’t even log anymore or very very rarely. (keeping account active perhaps ?)

It’s understandable that Anet is trying to keep things in check, but seeing all that has happened lately, they’re also limiting players more and more and pushing them away before HoT even launches.

I was never into key farming, but it shows it’s just another pebble on the negative side of the balance. And that one is getting filled up pretty big.

About a month ago I was thinking of buying HoT. Not anymore, no sir. You can control the gameplay, but you’re not in control of my wallet.

CandyHearts.6025

Hopefully we’ll get more info about is.. Key drop chance on Open World has always been abysmal. How about making them drop (with a more reasonable chance) on completed events through the world? That could push more people to make more events here and there..

IF you could get key drops for world events. . . There would be no stopping me! That would actually be great. >.> So great I doubt it could be true.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

If new content is following the trend of Silverwastes where mobs don’t drop loot (or extremely rarely drop loot), than no. No amount of increased drop rate is going to make up for it. Even recently running around Orr to harvest, killing every risen I come across hardly rewards any loot (although my only black lion key drop in 2 years/5000+ hours dropped from a risen in Malchor’s Leap).