People paid or rewarded to post here?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: fourhim.3584

fourhim.3584

This accusation gets tossed around a lot – that certain people who post such high praise for Anet’s decisions might be rewarded in some way. I haven’t reached a decision on this yet, so I thought the best approach is just to come right out and ask.

Will someone at ANet please tell the rest of us if you reward certain people for their forum comments? If you could just issue a flat out denial then that might diminish the number of accusations, especially right now.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I doubt it. I haven’t gotten anything, since I’ve given some praise about the new stuff, and have very little complaints so far…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: SephiSlash.6780

SephiSlash.6780

INB4 thread lock.

Why would they ever admit to hiring an astroturfing team. Hell they probably just use NCsofts’s.

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

This accusation gets tossed around a lot – that certain people who post such high praise for Anet’s decisions might be rewarded in some way. I haven’t reached a decision on this yet, so I thought the best approach is just to come right out and ask.

Will someone at ANet please tell the rest of us if you reward certain people for their forum comments? If you could just issue a flat out denial then that might diminish the number of accusations, especially right now.

LOL by that same logic where are the people getting paid by other companies to bash the game? Can they please raise their hand…… take off the tinfoil helmet.

Necromancer Main

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I think the OP should be rewarded with a special tin foil hat skin as a reward for making this thread.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Meanwhile, people who criticize anet gets paid by rival companies. /kappa

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

If you have proof then put it out, otherwise you are maligning a person and a company.

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

There are people like that everywhere so why shouldn’t there be ones like that here? There’s at least one that trolls through threads seemingly 24/7.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Even IF that were the case, would they come out and confirm or deny it? If they said that no they weren’t paying or rewarding people, would anyone believe them? If they were to confirm that yes, people were indeed being compensated to promote the game on the forum, would they have ANY credibility afterward on anything they say or did?

I personally see no reason to believe that anyone is getting compensated (with the expception of the devs themselves) for posting anything on the forums. People will toss that around, more as a tongue in cheek response to those who don’t agree with them. It’s either you are a dev in disguise, blind, stupid, a “white knight”, or a combination of all of them.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

Paid posters on forums are a common thing. Even if this the case here nobody will admit it.

Leo Paul.1659

The only thing I choose to believe about people who are vocal in either side of the spectrum is that they are all passionate about the game in one way or another.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Anet wouldn’t touch me with a 20 foot pole. I’m far too contraversial. Not to mention the fact that people ignore the negative stuff I’ve said, and just focus on the positive. But I have said negative stuff. I don’t like the way the new trait system was handled, for example.

No one here is being paid for being a fan, any more than a fan of a sports team that defends their team is being paid. Because you don’t have to pay people to be fans of something.

I really enjoy my time in Tyria. I have fun here. I have a great guild. Of course I’m going to defend it.

Why should anyone have to pay me for that.

papryk.6273

Funny that nobody mentioned you here and you still feel concerned xD

anyway… a quick search on google can show what I said, that paid posters are a common thing

pdavis.8031

Anet wouldn’t touch me with a 20 foot pole. I’m far too contraversial. Not to mention the fact that people ignore the negative stuff I’ve said, and just focus on the positive. But I have said negative stuff. I don’t like the way the new trait system was handled, for example.

No one here is being paid for being a fan, any more than a fan of a sports team that defends their team is being paid. Because you don’t have to pay people to be fans of something.

I really enjoy my time in Tyria. I have fun here. I have a great guild. Of course I’m going to defend it.

I agree!! Well said!

(Also, was your check late this month? I still haven’t got mine. I tried to email Chris, but no reponse yet… :P)

recognize my command!”

Zoso.8279

I agree!! Well said!

(Also, was your check late this month? I still haven’t got mine. I tried to email Chris, but no reponse yet… :P)

LOL! If only being a fan also got you paid, that would be the life! Real Madrid C.F here I come!!!!

Necromancer Main

Leo Paul.1659

I’m not surprised if it is. I don’t mind though, and I don’t think I should concern myself with how other people earn their money if they aren’t doing anything illegal. I also try to avoid imposing my morals or ethics on other people because I always ignore theirs anyway. :/

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

dont say bad things bout vayne – you get insta infracted in like 5 minutes

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

Yes, Anet has paid posters, they’re called employees, and their names show up with a big red thing on the left.

Seriously though, Anet makes great decisions all the time (in addition to some bad decisions), and the 1% of players who aren’t happy with them take to the forums to bash them, while the other 99% happily enjoy the changes. The forums show a much, much higher distribution of negative feedback than is represented in the total player base.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

What good would it do to have people designated to come on here and post positive things about the company? The forums are a cesspool of kiddie rage and hate bandwagons, so I doubt it makes any difference if there are people here being reasonable and suggesting that Anet isn’t a malicious entity with the sole enterprise of sucking dry your precious allowance money with evil cash shop schemes. Because from what I can tell, nobody listens to that.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Yargesh.4965

What good would it do to have people designated to come on here and post positive things about the company? The forums are a cesspool of kiddie rage and hate bandwagons, so I doubt it makes any difference if there are people here being reasonable and suggesting that Anet isn’t a malicious entity with the sole enterprise of sucking dry your precious allowance money with evil cash shop schemes. Because from what I can tell, nobody listens to that.

+ lol

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I don’t work for a company but I can see how this could be. Seriously, I’ve seen certain people in these forums who post constantly. They literally are never in the game they claim is perfect. I see them here all the time morning noon or night at all hours singing the praise of the company for anything and everything. (These same people actually praised the company for things like DR and nerfing all open world loot so that people would be forced to either get in a dungeon or risk WvW.) These same people mind you, have accused those of us who’ve kept a more discerning eye on this game, of never logging in ourselves.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

and the 1% of players who aren’t happy with them take to the forums to bash them, while the other 99% happily enjoy the changes.

And yet A.Net starts stuff like the CDI or the new WvW-Dev thingy.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

People who come to the forums typically fall into one of two categories:

1. Those who have a strong opinion that they feel the world needs to know about.
2. Those who have a question and are looking for an answer.

Paying people to post on the forums would not have any impact on group 1 and would only help group 2. Of course, there are plenty of people already helping group 2 for free, so paying people to post on the forums would mean they are paying people for no reason.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

1. Those who have a strong opinion that they feel the world needs to know about.

Paying people to post on the forums would not have any impact on group 1 and would only help group 2. Of course, there are plenty of people already helping group 2 for free, so paying people to post on the forums would mean they are paying people for no reason.

Still it begs the question. if you go and look at certain people’s times spent on the forums by watching their time stamps on their posts. they literally have only 8 hour slots between the times they come on here sometimes 6 which means that they are literally spending more time here then they are in game and only having enough time outside of the forums to actually do normal human things like shower, eat and sleep. And they are posting every hour on the hour.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Getting paid for saying nice things about the game? Where do I sign up?

Getting paid for complaining about the game? Where do I sign up?

papryk.6273

Getting paid for saying nice things about the game? Where do I sign up?

Getting paid for complaining about the game? Where do I sign up?

google

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

and the 1% of players who aren’t happy with them take to the forums to bash them, while the other 99% happily enjoy the changes.

And yet A.Net starts stuff like the CDI or the new WvW-Dev thingy.

Certain parts of the forums do draw in more players with constructive feedback, such as the Suggestions forums and the CDI threads. To be more specific, I was referring to posts where people express their opinions about the game or changes made to it.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Vayne.8563

I agree!! Well said!

OMFG! hahahaha…..this is the best post EVER!

pdavis.8031

Still it begs the question. if you go and look at certain people’s times spent on the forums by watching their time stamps on their posts. they literally have only 8 hour slots between the times they come on here sometimes 6 which means that they are literally spending more time here then they are in game and only having enough time outside of the forums to actually do normal human things like shower, eat and sleep. And they are posting every hour on the hour.

I am one of those people you speak of. Yes I spend more time on the forums then I do in game. The reason? My job is such that I can browse and post on the forums for most of my 8 hour shift. But after work, I don’t play until after my kid goes to bed, but can’t log in for large chunks of time, as I need to sleep as well. Does this mean I am paid by Anet to speak high praise of their game? Not at all. It means I am so freaking bored, and my job is a snoozefest.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ha ha. Some people can multi-task. Whenever I play, I also peruse, and yes! even post, on the forums.

If someone is keeping track of time-stamps, it may be time for a break! =P

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Maybe because they tab out the game to check a thread they posted in every once in a while. Maybe because they use a second computer for the forums, farcebook, ts, Netflix.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

By this logic someone could make a thread about how anyone criticizing the game is being paid to do so by a rival mmo producer.

Makes sense. Now when do i get my check for all these posts.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Are you paid by Blizzard to stir up drama on the GW2 forums? If you could just issue a flat out denial, then that might diminish the number of accusations.

Posing a personal attack as a question doesn’t make it any less of an unfounded accusation.

There are plenty of meaty topics to discuss regarding the new patch; we don’t have to invent controversies.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

Sigh if only i get paid. If only.
Not too late to start though Anet, i accept Legendaries as payment.
Im not fussy lol!

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Last night spent most of my gold finishing the light of dwayna back piece… I could use some extra gold and I may post more positive stuff wink wink

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

ANet sends me a precursor each month to pay me for posting on the forum.

I salvage it, I need the mithril.

Yargesh.4965

ANet sends me a precursor each month to pay me for posting on the forum.

I salvage it, I need the mithril.

lol

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Nobody is getting paid to praise the game despite it’s faults. Some people are just not very… gifted.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

IMO anyone using “white knight” to silence/discredit someone needs his Geek Card revoked. Calling someone a brown-noser means you’re a godkitten bully, and you’ve gone to the dark side.

Having been a DM for decades and in software QA for a but over a year now, I am sympathetic to ANet’s position in nearly all cases. If there is money going around for that, I want in; it’ll help me afford the blood pressure meds I usually need after reading any three forum threads.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I don’t believe they do even though there are a few blind White Knights.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Sariel V.7024

Paid posters on forums are a common thing. Even if this the case here nobody will admit it.

This is true, but this is mostly to drive sales (guerilla marketing). It doesn’t make a lot of sense to do it on the host’s own forum. You’d get better mileage at gamefaqs or the like.

Vayne.8563

And therein lies the problem. Anyone who doesn’t agree with you is blind or a white knight or both.

Anyone who uses those terms, or hater for that matter, is doing themselves a disservice.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Do you exspect an answer? We know how much trouble it is for a member of ANet staff to post answers because of CP.

“I’m only allowed to tell you that I’m not allowed to tell you anything.”

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Colin Johanson himself pays me 30$ per day to make positive posts about GWII and ArenaNet.

This post has been approved by ArenaNet, we wish you guys the best of luck while playing our fantastic game.

Also, check out the new items in the gem store!

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Zoso.8279

Colin Johanson himself pays me 30$ per day to make positive posts about GWII and ArenaNet.

This post has been approved by ArenaNet, we wish you guys the best of luck while playing our fantastic game.

Also, check out the new items in the gem store!

Dang $30!! Bro he has been duping me! He has been paying me in grocery store coupons and tic-tacs!

Necromancer Main

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

And therein lies the problem. Anyone who doesn’t agree with you is blind or a white knight or both.

Anyone who uses those terms, or hater for that matter, is doing themselves a disservice.

Exact same thing can be said for the White Knights.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Vayne.8563

No,. not at all.

I don’t call you a hater, or try to dismiss what you say by labeling you. You try to dismiss what I say by labeling me.

I might disagree with what you say, or more often how you say it, but I don’t use a single word to describe you that denotes blindness, or even bias.

When have I ever used the word blind in relation to what you’ve said?

Sariel V.7024

Except they aren’t calling people blind or biased entirely out of fanboyism.

Vayne.8563

Except they aren’t calling people blind or biased entirely out of fanboyism.

Exactly. In fact, I often start off posts with I see your point, but I don’t agree with it and then say why. And very often I do see the other point.

And I really don’t like the term hater or doom and gloom crowd either. I haven’t used either in ages.

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

hasn’t it occured it to you that, as well as some people hate certain changes, there may be a few others who love them or don’t think it’s such a big issue? With so many players, what’s the chance that ALL of them will agree that something is cool or stinks?