People with 100k gold

People with 100k gold

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

This is both a list of questions as well as a request. The questions first:

Does Anet monitor the amount of gold people have and make?
Does Anet think it’s fine if someone has 100k gold, buys up all perma items on the TP and puts them back up one by one for 2-3 times as much as they were before?
Will there ever be a top limit of gold one can own per account?

And the request:

Something needs to be done about this. It’s so unbelievably sad that the economy in this game is just the same as in real life. The poor will always stay poor and the rich will forever get richer. Why is this allowed to happen? Why is there no system in place to keep things fairly priced?

I am not lazy. I am actually working hard for my gold in GW2 (which is sad in itself). But with this stuff going on it will be forever impossible for me (and 99% of players) to ever catch up. I can never make enough gold because I can only do it slowly and by the time I get close to buying what I want it gets bought up and relisted at 2 or 3 times the price.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Anet doesn’t care because they want you to get your mom’s Visa out!

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

1. Of course they monitor it. That’s why there are adjustments to gold generated by the game from time to time.

2. How do you know it’s one person buying them all and then relisting them? How do you know it’s not 5 other poor players who saved long enough to get them who bought them all and then players holding onto said perma items waiting for prices to increase past X amount so that that had happened and therefore sold theirs?

3. The top limit is whatever the technical cap the game has on the numbers it can store. Like in Sims 1 there was a cap of I think 99,999 Simoleons. Because they game could only store up to that amount, it didn’t have a place for a 6th figure.

It’s very very hard and very very risky to try and corner a market in this game because anyone can get a perma item and sell it for any price they want.

And there is something that keeps things fairly priced: it’s called supply and demand. Those two things interact and create what is known as the equilibrium price. When one changes suddenly, the price takes a bit to reach its new equilibrium price.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

What things are you trying to buy that you’re unable to get?

I’m not able to play a lot (about 2.5k hours in 3.5 years) and I hate farming so it takes me a long time to get gold, but I’ve still been able to buy any item I’ve decided to work towards, it just takes me longer.

Of course it does mean I can’t decide right now that I want The Bifrost or a mini Karka or even something relatively cheap like a black lion weapon and get it immediately. But I can save up and get it eventually.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

People with 100k gold

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

It’s so unbelievably sad that the economy in this game is just the same as in real life. The poor will always stay poor and the rich will forever get richer.

False. Unlike real life, anyone can get a job at any time. No matter how poor you are, you can at least make 15-20g an hour. And then once you have 100g or so and want to start playing the trading post, there’s nothing to say you can’t.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Does Anet think it’s fine if someone has 100k gold, buys up all perma items on the TP and puts them back up one by one for 2-3 times as much as they were before?

What do you mean by “perma” items? If it’s an exclusive skin no longer entering the game space, you might as well treat it as “Lost forever”, because it pretty much is. Until Anet decides to re-release it.
And honestly – Anet has no need to pay any kitten attention to how much money a person is hoarding, because it doesn’t affect anything of significance.

Something needs to be done about this. It’s so unbelievably sad that the economy in this game is just the same as in real life. The poor will always stay poor and the rich will forever get richer. Why is this allowed to happen? Why is there no system in place to keep things fairly priced?

There is something keeping things fairly priced – Free market economics. And like real life, the poor DON’T always stay poor (Speaking of real life – My parents, going from an Air Force veteran from a family of nine in inner-city Boston and a farm girl from Ohio, have gone from ‘need food stamps and free lunches to feed kids" to “Put six kids through mid/high-end college and own hundreds of acres of land, with an annual income of a couple hundred thousand dollars a year.” Their daughter, if things go right, is going to be making even more. I happen to be rather fine with making little more than minimum wage, though, because I have absolutely no ambition in life. Social mobility is real. The rich get richer because they do things that make money, and they’re smart enough to see and get the hell out of anything that starts losing them money.

Want to know one way that causes them to lose money? Buying up ludicrously expensive things, then re-posting them at a price nobody is willing to pay, then getting a “Slap to the Face!” when Anet suddenly adds a new way to get that once-exclusive item.

I am not lazy. I am actually working hard for my gold in GW2 (which is sad in itself). But with this stuff going on it will be forever impossible for me (and 99% of players) to ever catch up. I can never make enough gold because I can only do it slowly and by the time I get close to buying what I want it gets bought up and relisted at 2 or 3 times the price.

You’re working ‘hard’ for your gold, but not working ‘smart’ for it. Want to know how much it takes to start up making money as a Trading Post flipper? Less than 20 silver. There are all sorts of guides for making that kind of money as well (That give general pointers, not specific ‘buy X", because that’s useless) And that’s just one way to make gold. High-end fractals also makes gold.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

And the request:

From what I know from my very rich friend: He doesn’t have his gold in cash. If he does, he’s doing it wrong. You have so much of your gold in investments, or items you are selling on the TP.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

Many players own multiple accounts to get rich like an investment. It is much more effective than paying for gold over time once you own a few accounts. What’s more is that players sell their accounts cheaply often online when they quit GW2.

I have long argued against the free market of the TP and they way the limit player to player based trade. It takes the economic fun out of the game and some players with multiple accounts further ruin that fun for people. This is why I boycotted pve because it banned every creative way of making money to standardize it.

People like games where they can do something unique to move forward. GW2 overbalancing certain things creates a bland game where everyone has to use the same rout. It is closed minded. In fact I don’t mind them balancing get rich quick schemes I just wish they would only mix them up rather than ban them so players don’t feel they are being more limited every-time they play smart.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

All you need is that one in-demand skin to drop and you’re rich like that in this game.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

@Sartharina enjoyed you post about your family. Brought back memories for me. Also a mirror image cept Army instead of Air Force and we were a family of 11. I’ve heard comments similar to the poor get poorer and it’s one I complete disagree with, with the exception of the poor get poorer if they choose to do nothing and expect others to make them rich.

Back on topic. OP I know the tp isn’t for everyone. Yet as mentioned there are tons of guides and well just using basic common sense one can become very successful in the game with gold. 2.5-3 years ago I was lucky to 100-150g on my account total, including all mats, decided I would do some research and use some guides. Listen to others on here and reddit and absorb as much info as possible to apply it to the games economy. From that I managed to get in the top .5% according to gw2efficiency. And yes I know it only portrays small portion of players, 70 thousand accounts I believe so who knows where I really stand in the grand scheme of things.

Of course it certainly didn’t happen over night. And no I’ve never been lucky enough to get some crazy good drop. Best item to every drop for me in game was worth around 70g and that was a few months ago. Things that helped me, first I don’t feel the need to have every new shiny that comes into the game. Second, any time Anet makes an announcement of any potential change coming into the game I’m all over it. Pulling up any reputable site that would be discussing it, seeing what general opinions are. (sometimes they are right and sometimes not.) Coupling that with knowing what events will be coming up particularly holiday events and buy/sell accordingly. I believe all one has to do to make money from those is a small amount of research and just flat out paying attention to the market. If the tp isn’t your thing then consider farming, good grief with current general mat prices the way the are now its certainly hardcore farmers happy days.

But to say you’re poor because of the rich? From my experience that isn’t true. I wish you the best in what ever avenue you choose to make gold.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

They most certainly monitor it. Once, when my wife’s guild dissolved, the guild leader asked her to hold the gold from the guild until she reformed said guild. And she mailed my wife the money . . . a couple thousand gold.

Within that day, they suspended my wife’s account for ‘suspicious’ activities.

Luckily, they also resolved it the same day. So, yes, ANet watches gold transactions quite carefully.

Apparently.

Gone to Reddit.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Many players own multiple accounts to get rich like an investment. It is much more effective than paying for gold over time once you own a few accounts. What’s more is that players sell their accounts cheaply often online when they quit GW2.

I have long argued against the free market of the TP and they way the limit player to player based trade. It takes the economic fun out of the game and some players with multiple accounts further ruin that fun for people. This is why I boycotted pve because it banned every creative way of making money to standardize it.

People like games where they can do something unique to move forward. GW2 overbalancing certain things creates a bland game where everyone has to use the same rout. It is closed minded. In fact I don’t mind them balancing get rich quick schemes I just wish they would only mix them up rather than ban them so players don’t feel they are being more limited every-time they play smart.

I can’t think of anything that is on the TP that is a MUST HAVE to the point where you can’t compete in the game.

Yes, farming mats/items takes time, but you can play the game and never have to buy anything. Also, isn’t the TP actually more economic? You can see what the current lowest sell price is and the highest buy order (so, current Lowest I’m willing to offer and highest I’m willing to pay). Isn’t that better then what someone could say in chat?

Also, it’s so nice not having the “WTB/WTS” spam in chat from players.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Everyone in this game starts on the same footing. Everyone in this game has access to the same gold making methods. This game is nothing like real life. If you are poor it is because you choose be poor.

This game is the ultimate in equality, there is no discrimination, no one is born into into game gold, no one has to struggle to pay rent or get hit with fees that only apply to the poor.

You can make 100k gold in the exact same way that they made 100k gold. No one got that rich by RNG or being lucky, they did so because they did research, spent time and followed the markets. It is easy to make 15g per hour. Once you have 100g (only 7 hours of play) you can use that to make more money. In a month you can easily have 1000g. In a year you can easily have 10,000g. Nothing and no one except yourself is stopping you from doing this.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Let me help you out a little. As many have pointed out there are very big differences between real life and game, there are some similarities though which I’ll gladly point out (I’ll format this so it makes more sense trying not to change the meaning of what you said):

I am not lazy. I am actually working hard for my gold in GW2 (which is sad in itself).

If playing the game is turning to work, you are doing it wrong. Take a break or find something fun to do. There are enough things in GW2 wich generate money, no reason to “work”.

Okay, now some will complain “but I want item xyz asap so I have to farm the most efficient way and not have fun while doing so”. Unfortunately wanting things asap will usually always cost you more effort, gold, tears.

But with this stuff going on it will be forever impossible for me (and 99% of players) to ever catch up.

Who are you exactly catching up to? People who have played this game for 3.5 years? Is this a contest I have not been made aware of? Arenanet has not increased gear requirements for over 2 years but instead added multiple ways to get max level gear(ascended) without grind and even more ways to get free or cheap exotic gear.

Maybe reevaluate your priorities and/or read up on how to achieve your goal without just buying things off the TP.

I can never make enough gold because I can only do it slowly and by the time I get close to buying what I want it gets bought up and relisted at 2 or 3 times the price.

Guess what, most people who want instant gratification will always pay a steep price up. Not one of those 100k people you talk about got their gold magically over night or while buying everything they want immediately (well except those few who shell out thousands of dollars for gems, but suffice to say that is a minority).

Your problem is you buy things you want, not things you need. Instead, maybe reinvest the gold you made farming to work the trading post or hold on to it for when prices are reasonable. This is actually the same as in real life, many people spending their gold immediately versus some who use time and savings to their advantage. This can be as basic as buying materials at different times of day to save gold which can make a difference of over 20-30%.

The economy reflects real life to a certain extent since people behave the same way as in real life. The major difference is that most activities ingame are quite close in terms of gold generation with only high value TP speculation being out of reach (but even here casual players with minor selfcontrol can benefit from better prices or make money). Suffice to say, 99% of the goods on the TP are so fast moving that major market manipulation is hard or impossible to do so losing money here is all your own fault.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

@Sartharina enjoyed you post about your family. Brought back memories for me. Also a mirror image cept Army instead of Air Force and we were a family of 11. I’ve heard comments similar to the poor get poorer and it’s one I complete disagree with, with the exception of the poor get poorer if they choose to do nothing and expect others to make them rich.

Well, technically the poor don’t get poorer in that case, either. Globally the quality of life is increasing everywhere. Food, energy, safety, water, cleanliness, and medicine are cheaper, better, more widely available, and will continue to do so. The total amount of welfare and wealth is on the rise. Now, technically the growth in quality is disproportionate, in that the rich do gain wealth faster than the poor, but the poor is still gaining wealth in the absolute sense.

However I digress: These threads are always annoying, and they show up every week or so. Somebody is convinced that there’s a group of rich players who control everything and scheme to rob the average player, or that free trade is inherently evil, or that gaining money through the TP is evil. And every single time, it follows the same trend: No evidence for their claim, and a lack of knowledge on economics and trade.

So, to answer your questions:

#1: Wealth is monitored.
#2: There is no super rich player who buys all of one item and then sells it for three times the price. If you’ve ever tried to merch on the market, you’d quickly learn that this is impossible, or just plain isn’t true. Players will constantly make new items, and undercut you, or you’ll make a trade and watch it sit for a month before realizing that nobody will buy it for that price.
#3: The prices of things change all the time. It is called supply and demand.
#4: There is probably some top limit, depending on where the decimal is located, but that wouldn’t matter because if there really was an evil overlord who’s robbing the entire game blind, then they’d just take their gold and invest in ancillary items to maintain their wealth. I.E., gems.
#5: Nothing is unfairly priced on the TP.
#6: Working the TP to get money isn’t lazy, either. To be successful requires research, plenty of math, a lot of patience, and plenty of luck, too.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

#6: Working the TP to get money isn’t lazy, either. To be successful requires research, plenty of math, a lot of patience, and plenty of luck, too.

This is actually false. I have amassed a sizable fortune without a single spread sheet or calculation, simply intuition. I also make the majority of my gold on the tp, while playing aspects of the game I enjoy. The rich want people to think its hard work and lots of math, which everyone hates, but it isnt. Just need to pay attention to a few things here and there, especially patch notes and seasonal market shifts. Farm zone shifts based on the zone level are also a thing to watch. When HOT came out and the population shifted to mostly lvl 80 maps all mid mat prices adjusted for this lack of supply and other factors. Farmers who know the rich nodes are very happy about this.

There should be another shift in a few months.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

When you’re saying you work hard for your gold OP, what exactly are you doing? You should say and maybe people can give tips on how to do it better.

I have a farming route that I run on a regular basis to collect the currently most valuable woods and metals as well as certain herbs that sell well. It takes me a hour or two to do a full run of all waypoints I have marked, less of course if I only hit the major sites. If you don’t mind farming you should get a farming run that you do regularly and then sell the mats. if you don’t mind spending a few minutes refining ore and wood to ingots and planks it’s even more profitable.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This is actually false. I have amassed a sizable fortune without a single spread sheet or calculation, simply intuition. I also make the majority of my gold on the tp, while playing aspects of the game I enjoy. The rich want people to think its hard work and lots of math, which everyone hates, but it isnt. Just need to pay attention to a few things here and there, especially patch notes and seasonal market shifts. Farm zone shifts based on the zone level are also a thing to watch. When HOT came out and the population shifted to mostly lvl 80 maps all mid mat prices adjusted for this lack of supply and other factors. Farmers who know the rich nodes are very happy about this.

says it’s easy and not hard work….

2 paragraphs about tracking multiple things, reading from various sources and following trends…

People like the OP would consider that significant effort and very hard work

People with 100k gold

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

GW2 is a game , its not an occupation.
There is no work in GW2.
You either do things because they are fun, or because you want something that increases you level of fun.
Some people, myself included enjoy playing the games economy because its fun.
GW2 like most MMOs has no rules which defines what you have to do to play the game.
Simply making lots of gold by whatever means you like is just as valid way of playing the game as running around killing monsters.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Kasima.8143

Kasima.8143

2. How do you know it’s one person buying them all and then relisting them? How do you know it’s not 5 other poor players who saved long enough to get them who bought them all and then players holding onto said perma items waiting for prices to increase past X amount so that that had happened and therefore sold theirs?

I know people who corner markets like that.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Kasima.8143

Kasima.8143

I can’t think of anything that is on the TP that is a MUST HAVE to the point where you can’t compete in the game.

I assume it’s a permanent bank access.

OP, wait for black lion keys to come on sale. Then the price of those will drop like they did last time. That’s when I bought mine for 2000g because outside the last sale, the price kept rising as I got money like you described.

(edited by Kasima.8143)

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I know people who corner markets like that.

Not saying it isn’t possible in the game.

Just asked the OP to prove that it’s just on person and not a group of unique individuals where some wanted to buy to use and others wanted to sell what happened with whatever item(s) he’s got an issue with.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

says it’s easy and not hard work….

2 paragraphs about tracking multiple things, reading from various sources and following trends…

People like the OP would consider that significant effort and very hard work

It isn’t just that information. It’s having the ability to acquire that information, and also having the wit to realize that other investors are doing the same thing, so you have to be ahead of them. Reading markets requires a certain amount of skill and awareness that most people plainly do not have.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I hardly ever buy things at the lowest sale offer on the TP. I put in my own buy orders: when I am in a rush (or worried about a price rise), I’ll put in an offer above the highest current buy offer; when I’m not, I’ll put in offers well below that lowest WTB.

I have never had trouble getting any item in this way, including the permanent bank access.

People cannot control the market for things that continue to drop, no matter how much gold they have. At best, they can temporarily affect the equilibrium prices, but it generally loses them money unless they are both lucky and very skilled at pricing.

People can control the market for things that no longer drop, because the supply can run out. Once the supply is below 3-5 on the TP, then, sure, the very rich can attempt to corner the market. Fortunately for us (and unfortunately for them), that, too, is often temporary — there are other people beside them that have the same idea.

Finally, the OP is … claiming poverty and yet they have enough coin that they can consider paying for a convenience item, like perma vendor or bank access. It’s weird to be concerned about the 1% being affected by the 0.1%.

The shorter story is that it’s fun to imagine a Evil Trader or Conspiracy of Flippers taking control of markets right and left. The reality is more prosaic: the market is just too vast for any consortium to hold that much influence for long.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Major Domo.9250

Major Domo.9250

Don’t forget about one of the biggest trading post drivers..

“I want an Oompa-Loompa NOOOOWWW!”

/canityounit

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Steelo.4597

Steelo.4597

It’s so unbelievably sad that the economy in this game is just the same as in real life. The poor will always stay poor and the rich will forever get richer. Why is this allowed to happen?

That’s just what you get when you create a free market where people trade making their own prices (99.9% of humans including everyone in this thread don’t even know what it is they are trading (value)). At least in game gold seems easy enough to come around that you don’t have to work for someone else just to get it like IRL.

i fear we will look back to this day and remember the good old wvw as it is now – Jan 2015

(edited by Steelo.4597)

People with 100k gold

Zelulose.8695

Anet ha rigged the game so that any use of trading to make money is discouraged. People may not see the issue but a game like runescape had one good quality. It’s grand exchange. There were people abusing trade but that didn’t stop a player from playing the market independently. Business smarts was rewarded. Players can’t even craft for money in this game and anything they make crafting costs them money. They might as well grind get some cash and buy items rather than craft things. From my comparison to other games it is very clear that they are trying to force players to play content to get gear. This limits the variety of the adventure as there should be more than one way to skin a Cat.

As a seller of their RPG content Anet should consider the business advantage to adding variety to their PVE. The more options players have to do things the more players they will attract to play their game. However, players often leave games modeled too similarly or even made more difficult when compared to the real world.
This is because players are in video games more times than not to escape reality or find an extra sense of fun in a new adventure. The adventure may be economic or in a clash of swords or in another unique form.

(edited by Zelulose.8695)

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Rivindor.7258

Rivindor.7258

Most things in this game are very attainable without nolifing the game. But what I see all too often are players claiming to be casuals who are also after the most extreme of luxuries: Portable mystic forges, merchants, legendaries, harvesting nodes…the list goes on. Just, stop.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Crafting is actually profitable if you know what you’re doing. I made so much from scribing early on before people realized how to profit (eg. transference sigils, concentration sigils and sheets of paper).

You can also convert what other people craft for leveling into more profitable ventures (eg. bottle of simple dressing→sage salad) but of course all of this requires extra research which most players won’t do.

The game is now past its 3rd year and most of this stuff is out there in guides and what not, if you want to make money it’s really not that hard and some of the best money makers in GW2 aren’t even rocket science (eg. frac 40 farm, malchors leap wood chopping, flax farm etc).

This is nothing like real life, there’s nothing stopping you in GW2 from going out and making 20-30g/hour whereas in real life you need a job before you can make money.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Most things in this game are very attainable without nolifing the game. But what I see all too often are players claiming to be casuals who are also after the most extreme of luxuries: Portable mystic forges, merchants, legendaries, harvesting nodes…the list goes on. Just, stop.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for casual players to aim for those items.

I would consider myself a casual player. My estimate last time was slightly low, I’ve played for just over 3,000 hours in 1,352 days – or an average of 2 hours a day. I’ve spent a huge amount of that on low level characters (not key farming though), and even more doing jumping puzzles, breaking out of maps, generally exploring the scenery and other fun but low reward activities. I pre-purchased HoT but I haven’t maxed a single mastery yet (my highest is gliding with 4/6).

And yet I’m working on my second legendary. Which happens to be The Bifrost, the one with the most expensive precursor (both to craft and to purchase). But I know I’ll be able to make it without too much trouble. I also know it will take me a lot of time. My first, The Dreamer, took about a year and a half, I think this one might be slightly quicker.

I also know I won’t be able to afford much else during that time, which I think is the key point both you and the OP are missing. IMO casual players can buy or make anything hardcore players can. What they can’t do is buy or make everything.

I’m absolutely confident I can get two legendaries. Or I could get a permanent bank access express. Or all the home instance nodes. Or a mystic forge conduit. Or a complete collection of every single mini pet in the game.

What I know I can’t do is get all of those things. At least not within any kind of reasonable time frame. Maybe another 5 years, and by then there will be all kinds of new items to go for.

But it means it’s just a matter of accepting that and picking which items you want to go for, instead of assuming you will never be able to have anything expensive or difficult to acquire and not even bothering to try.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

People with 100k gold

Posted by: gothmog.7501

gothmog.7501

You can try to corner a market, if you have enough money. And the best markets to corner are the noncraftable and no longer available weapon skins.

But just as Anet doesn’t prevent you getting rich, they don’t guarantee things will stay non-available. And the moment supply starts back up you’re left with a pile of very expensive items on the TP, and you’ve lost the upfront listing fees…

So yes, envy the canny investor with 100k gold if you like. But remember they can lose it in a moment at Anets whim.

For examples, look these items up on GW2 Spidy

Any Chaos skin you like – but Staff is a good example; just dropped 700 -> 300g
Ghastly Grinning Shield Skin (hit 5k gold, now it’s worth 500)

Meanwhile, loads of stuff worth nowt suddenly goes up … Leather, wood; check out price hike in silk when ascended armour launched. You can have as little as you like and still make a killing on something like that.

Bottom line- much harder to hang on to wealth than to make money.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: gothmog.7501

gothmog.7501

Oh, and crafting for money? Any item with a time gate (although oddly not Damask just right now)

Folks will pay you not to have to wait for something. So if you don’t need it yourself right now, craft it and sell it – buy the mats from buy orders each day, craft and sell; you’ll come out ahead.

And it’s not just T6 stuff either – check out prices for Mawdrey components, glow lamps etc. Time gated : make cash off the impatient.

Only problem is you can only make so many items (multiple accounts for more I guess) so you can’t make more than 5-6g clear profit each day this way. But that profit takes very little time. And hey, a month in you’ll be 150g ahead…

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

https://gw2nodes.com/?

Do the circuits OP.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Hey 100K owners, gimme som goldz plz plz plz

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

Oh my. So many haters. To clear some things up:

1. I do play the TP. But I am very bad at it. The reason for why is too personal for an online forum but let’s just say it’s not my fault and there’s nothing I can do to change it. I still do it the best I can but I simply cannot make thousands of gold fast that way. I made 500g within the last 3 months to give you an idea.
2. I am not the “Must have now” type whatsoever. I have played this game since beta and have been after the same perma item for 2 years now. Every time I get close they get ALL bought up and relisted for 2-3 times the price. That’s what I mean by not ever being able to catch up. And no, they don’t drop a lot. There’s never a lot of them in the first place.
3. Making lots of gold through farming is one thing…it DOES take a lot of time. I AM investing that time as much as I can every day yet I am still not getting closer.
4. Making lots of gold through the TP takes skills that most people don’t have. For all kinds of reasons. And being lazy and not wanting to put the work in certainly isn’t the reason for me.
5. I know a couple of very rich people myself and I know from them personally that this is being done. Buying rare items and relisting them at double or more of the original price. I am not making this up.

As to what I have tried/am trying:

1. Farming and gathering. I do this as much as I can and it’s around 10-15g in an hour if I’m lucky. But my playtime is limited so it takes me a couple of months for 1000g this way. That amounts to a year or more if an item that was 2000g suddenly turns 4000g over night.
2. Playing the TP. The only method I have found so far that I am capable of doing gives me steady income but it is very slow. I have tried following guides etc. but I am not able to do that.
3. Black Lion Chest Keys. Yes I have bought a few. No I will not ever again. The RNG is horrible and in 3 years of playing I have yet to get anything actually valuable.
4. Luck with drops. I got one precursor drop 3 years ago and that is it. Back then it was worth 300g and I was very happy. But since that one time I have not gotten a single ascended armor or weapon chest or anything else worth anything. Still hopeful, of course…and I do go and farm specific drops as well.
5. Crafting. I have done and am doing time gated mats. So far not a great way to make money because it is time gated and thus very limited in what you can effectively make per day. Unless you don’t do anything else every day and ONLY craft every time gated mat there is and use your limited playtime that way this is not even worth it.

I am doing what I can, I am doing a lot, I am investing a lot of time per day and the reason I STILL can’t afford the item I have been saving up for all this time is that there are people who can buy them all up and relist them at insane prices. But yeah I kind of knew most people would tell me that I am just not working hard enough.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

But yeah I kind of knew most people would tell me that I am just not working hard enough.

I just skimmed through most replies to make sure I didn’t miss something.
Literally the only thing most people did NOT say was you should work harder.

The fact that you interpreted most replies as telling you exactly the opposite of what people wrote says quite a lot about you.

That being said, no one can change your mind or keep you from blaming others for not achieveing your goal. It hasn’t worked so far, doubtful it will in the future.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

And the request:

Um…catch up?
Why would you NEED to catch up?
The game is fun, and if RNGezus smiles upon you- you get that uber rare skin, sell dat puppy, and you have more than enough gold to get what you think you want…it’s all in the fun of ‘playing’ the game..not working it like a (gag) gold seller.
I mean not to come across as rude, but your question confuses me, PvE isn’t a competition, and WvW has it’s own issues.

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Andy Warhol.6250

Andy Warhol.6250

I’m quite happy with a few thousand gold. It provides for all my needs. Beyond a certain point, it becomes redundant

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Looking at GW2Efficiency that has over 70K accounts registered, the players who have over 100K gold have been playing the game for over 10K hours. That implies they have been here since the begining and if they had the wherewithal to speculate and let the natural inflation that occurs at the start of any MMO economy, they could have made a killing. Add to that they likely took advantage of the days where you could run Dungeons all day for rewards as well as keyfarm to eventually get BLTC skins to sell.

Remember TP farming, making a little gold from each player times a lot of players, is very real and it doesn’t require traditional flipping or supply manipulation. Just a more complete understanding of the value of items that players simply right click, sell immediately on the TP.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

People with 100k gold

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

1. Farming and gathering. I do this as much as I can and it’s around 10-15g in an hour if I’m lucky.

you can improve on this quite a bit
gather only in areas with valuable resources, and use a daredevil with shortbow and dash

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

Why would they care how much gold someone has and what their buying power is? That is seriously like saying its not okay for Realtors to buy houses for cheap then flip them for profit because they had money to start out with to buy them. That is business, that is life. You’re going to have to get used to the rich buying from the poor then marking up for a profit lol.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Why would they care? Bots, account stealers, gold sellers, etc. Someone on gw2efficiency posted a account with 500k gold which immediately got A-net attention. Its more about fair play or seeing if a player has broken any rules to get that gold. Anyways using gw2efficiency account statistics only 6% of player active mess around with TP(+100g on TP) while the 1% average 1000g on TP.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

All you need is that one in-demand skin to drop and you’re rich like that in this game.

Except that when that one “in-demand” skin drops, you have to have enough money to pay the fines for selling via the trading post, just to be able to sell it.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

People with 100k gold

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

Dude, this game should not stress you out. Buy some gems with a credit card, put it toward the item you have been grinding years for— it will come out to the price of a dinner and a movie. There is no monthly fee, you play all the time, game is moving in a positive direction, I don’t see anything wrong with this. Let this help you move on and enjoy yourself. This is all entertainment -.-

People with 100k gold

Zelulose.8695

Why would they care? Bots, account stealers, gold sellers, etc. Someone on gw2efficiency posted a account with 500k gold which immediately got A-net attention. Its more about fair play or seeing if a player has broken any rules to get that gold. Anyways using gw2efficiency account statistics only 6% of player active mess around with TP(+100g on TP) while the 1% average 1000g on TP.

This is the issue. I understand fair combat in wvw pvp but in pve you have greedy players without a brain that whines about somebody that got a good item if they got it I deserve it. This is entitlement and it is what is driving -fair- pve balance. This in truth isn’t fair as currently the smarter players are limited to making money in the same way as the players with less intellect. In any even’t players who like overcoming challenges hate excessive limitation. Once limited they find other games where they can do something outside the box.

Me personally, I was playing Guildwars 2 pve until I realized that I was at war with the pve balance team to do anything unique. If I found a way to make quick cash around (100 gold a day) using some smart strategy the next day it was balanced. I have plenty of cash so I don’t complain but this being the case, I just quit pve and play pvp. For pve I looked to othergames such as PWI, Swordsman online, DCUO, WOW, Vindictus, and ESO. At this point Guildwars 2 has the most balanced but the most boring economy of any game I played. Even worse players can pay their way into coming across Gold. It may not be pay to win for Aent’s policies but that doesn’t mean outside sources haven’t made this game pay to win.

Ok and I will be challanged on the Pay To Win statement. Better yet do the math, If you work a job $10/hr and use the money from 1 hr to buy gems and gold (200 gold). Then compare that to grinding for 1 hr and selling for the same amount of Gold will get? You will realize that this game is pay to win gear wise. It only not be pay to win if a player could grind 200 gold in 1 hr consistently. A person paying us dollars will work to his legendary far faster than you can ever hope to craft it. And that’s assuming minimum wage don’t get me started on the people with higher income jobs. I could make jokes about virtual child labor at this point but… the game your playing has rated a players in game time spend to be worth far less than $1 per hour grinding if you try to play free to play. But interns of stat equality the game is of course spot on. It might make things easier if they just let people buy legendary weapons instead of beating around the bush lol but I jest…

-People may say just have fun. But I can’t enjoy the adventure of the game while I’m grinding towards my legendary weapon… Yet the rich in the real world are always entitled.. even in the world of fantasy…

(edited by Zelulose.8695)

People with 100k gold

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I only bought the permanent bank license since I’m such a nice guy. I don’t like people waiting for me when I grab things from the bank. It’s not that useful.

The permanent hair license, I also bought. I think I used twice in my life time.

People with 100k gold

Zelulose.8695

It kind of Gets worst since Spending USD can get you to level 80 without even playing the game technically. You could just buy yourself to end game content currently which is why I feel bad for the people in pve and am satisfied with my cheap gear. All the players doing anything in pve aren’t unique players can spend USD to get everything they have with less time.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It kind of Gets worst since Spending USD can get you to level 80 without even playing the game technically. You could just buy yourself to end game content currently.

One can instant level to 80 without spending a dime.

People with 100k gold

Zelulose.8695

It kind of Gets worst since Spending USD can get you to level 80 without even playing the game technically. You could just buy yourself to end game content currently.

Only if they already have a level 80 unless HoT changed that and ruined pve further for new players.

People with 100k gold

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Only if they already have a level 80 unless HoT changed that and ruined pve further for new players.

Been able to insta level to 80 since well before HOT via tomes. No need for an 80, just a willingness to do one’s dailies.