Perm bans for snowflake exploit kinda harsh?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

You know, looking on the bright side, I don’t think we’ll see something like this repeat again considering the blowback.

Posted by: Kanthor.2094

Kanthor.2094

An exploit is whatever ANet labels an exploit, apparently.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

You know, looking on the bright side, I don’t think we’ll see something like this repeat again considering the blowback.

If it prevents people from further exploiting the game over being afraid of more justified permanent bans, this will have been a huge success, I agree with you on that.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Ectoplasms price may only have been reduced by 4s, but that’s not the problem. Players that got tons of gold could influenciate other market trends. Let’s assume, that 30% of that exploiting players went to buy dusk. Dusk price surely would rice a lot more than 4s, and created a bigger baseline to Dusk price, making even more far to buy for the general population. Suplly Demand.
This was a simple offer/demand exercise that shows that one thing can be linked to another, but that’s not the point, isn’t it?

Players did NOT get tons of gold from this, and certainly not more than you can get by playing the tp normally. Furthermore the gold ALL CAME FROM OTHER PLAYERS buying ectoplasms. There was no gold actually created, and no inflation. And you have no idea what you are talking about if you think precursors were influenced by people making 25g off of this piddly opportunity.

Or did it suddenly become illegal to introduce new items into the market place? Better not kill that moa, he might drop a slab of poultry that wasn’t in the game before! Get real. This “exploit” was completely harmless.

Yet, still an exploit! Even if it was an exploit that gave 1 copper / year it deserves a Perma BAN. EULA clearly states (for the ones that care to read it):
You acknowledge that You may not, without signed written consent from a legally authorized representative of NCsoft, do any of the following: … (d) Use, or provide others with, any “hack,” “cheat,” “exploit” or “mod”;

Well done Anet… +9000!!!

Note I put “exploit” in quotations. As in, it’s not an exploit? Your EULA quote certainly shows that exploits aren’t allowed, but what defines this as an exploit? New ectoplasms being created? They’re created every day whenever somebody finds a yellow! A small capped surge in supply like this doesn’t strike me as exploitative in the least.

The first was an exercise to explain on how market prices of another item (not only precursors, although it was the example used) could be influenced by these players. Never sayd it did.. Also, some players made 25g. Other made less others made more…

The definition of an exploit is very clear. Abusing a feature to earn somesort of an advantage. If some players during all the game life, have only made 100g, and within 2 days, made 400g, wouldn’t you think that something was fishy here?
I remember one player that said that he had made 500+ gold till he get bored. Honestly don’t know the average gold gain per player trough this abuse, but they probably have quantified it and ruled a ban for the perpetrators. !

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Rogacz.9865

Rogacz.9865

Well deserved ban. Any jewelcraft would immediately know that the recipe should have required 3+ jewels not 1, because all others do.

And comparing it to dungeon exploits is silly. All you get through those is few achievement points at most or a bit of time saved in the least. Totally incomparable to the tens of thousands of ectos that were created with the exploit and the effect it had on economy.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Exploits would not exist, if Areananet didn’t kitten up the begin with.

Kain Francois.4328

If it prevents people from further exploiting the game over being afraid of more justified permanent bans, this will have been a huge success, I agree with you on that.

Actually, I mean to say ANET will probably test things out better before releasing it to the public and punishing the players for dev mistakes.

ANET obviously isn’t doing permabans for kittens and giggles because they are bad for their reputation. And it’s a pretty awful way to wrap up Christmas too.

So using common sense, one can only assume they will try to avoid this mistake in the future.

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Ok, the ignorance in this thread is starting to make me woozy. This WAS NOT AN EXPLOIT! I will not explain why again, just look at my previous posts. And even if it was, there is something called appropriate punishment. Zero-tolerance makes no sense in any circumstances… or I suppose you all think people should be given the death penalty for stealing a loaf of bread?

And before you accuse me of being kitten for being banned, I was not banned. I am just trying to fight for the people who were.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

This isn’t an exploit, i didn’t use it, few of my guildies did, i’m scared for em now.

The moment people realised this could be done the snowflake prices went trough the roof and it wasn’t possible anymore. This is just smart playing of the market.

As much an exploit as being the first to buy a dusk when someone puts it on the TP for 10 gold… How bout we start banning people for buying over 9000 black lion chests a month before haloween. They quadruppeled their cash, still no exploit.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: Bastion.2457

Bastion.2457

Glad to hear exploiters are being taken out. Keep up the great work ANet!

This isn’t an exploit, i didn’t use it, few of my guildies did, i’m scared for em now.

The moment people realised this could be done the snowflake prices went trough the roof and it wasn’t possible anymore. This is just smart playing of the market.

As much an exploit as being the first to buy a dusk when someone puts it on the TP for 10 gold… How bout we start banning people for buying over 9000 black lion chests a month before haloween. They quadruppeled their cash, still no exploit.

Of course it is. Don’t be a turnip.

Erasculio.2914

ANET obviously isn’t doing permabans for kittens and giggles because they are bad for their reputation.

It would be rather bad for their reputation if they allowed exploiters to run around in the game without punishing them. I strongly applaud ArenaNet for permanently banning exploiters who cheated this time.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Why take the stand now when it is too late Anet? Previous exploiters gotten away with their goods and allowed to continue exploit the economy. It makes no sense now.

Had you done this from the beginning OK but now you decide to take a firm stance? Lol.

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

you do realize that anet determines what is and what is not an exploit in their game? trying to argue about that is going to get you nowhere….

Erasculio.2914

Had you done this from the beginning OK but now you decide to take a firm stance?

What, were you really expecting exploiters to be allowed to exploit freely during the game’s entire lifetime just because exploiters were not permanently banned during GW2’s first few months?

LOL!

Kain Francois.4328

This is a very interesting screenshot about ANET’s stance on it at the time it was occurring.

Kanthor.2094

Well deserved ban. Any jewelcraft would immediately know that the recipe should have required 3+ jewels not 1, because all others do.

The rare 65 jeweler snowflake items still require 1 snowflake each.

Bastion.2457

This is a very interesting screenshot about ANET’s stance on it at the time it was occurring.

It seems yours and our definition of very interesting are somewhat different. A GM didn’t want to comment on an exploit that was being actioned. So?

Posted by: Rogacz.9865

Rogacz.9865

Stop denying it was an exploit. Nobody is telling you the exploit was in the initial prices to end result prices ratio. It was in the fact that you gained back the jewel and also got ecto. And recipe required only one jewel. Normally recipes require 3+ jewels to prevent this.

Jabberwock.9014

The definition of an exploit is very clear. Abusing a feature to earn somesort of an advantage. If some players during all the game life, have only made 100g, and within 2 days, made 400g, wouldn’t you think that something was fishy here?
I remember one player that said that he had made 500+ gold till he get bored. Honestly don’t know the average gold gain per player trough this abuse, but they probably have quantified it and ruled a ban for the perpetrators. !

If somebody made 500g with this (which I sincerely doubt), I say good for him! He made the most of a limited time opportunity before the market had time to react. That is called being ahead of the curve, or in other words, smart. Even without intervention the markets were catching up to make the opportunity unprofitable. How is this any different than buying something low before the market reacts and prices rise? I see no exploit.

Fox.3469

It isn’t cheating, yes you could make allot of money with it if you did it first, but that’s the entire point, they did it first, i was to late and the snowflake prices had already balanced out. But it’s simple market play, it’s not exploiting…

Where is the spirit from GW1? Remember all those farms? Urgoz spiritfarm, 55, Perma sin, Obsidian tank. You could basicly make 200 k in a few hours if you were the first to go there and find it out.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Posted by: Docherty.8372

Docherty.8372

If it were me getting banned, I’d just take my box back to the store and get a refund – doesn’t matter what their ToS says when you can’t read/agree before handing over money. Common sense in my country, consumer rights laws are pretty clear on the matter.

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1993/0091/latest/DLM311053.html

(effectively – any goods you buy are owned by you – sounds simple, but that’s what these ToS are trying to take away from you, selling you a ‘license’ they feel entitled to withdraw at any time, in New Zealand the retailer who sells you the product is liable for the refund if that license is withdrawn – then it’s up to them to beef with the publisher/whoever; this is why, for instance, LoL has a clause in their ToS specifically pertaining to this act and New Zealand-based customers)

Not sure what relevance this has to anyone affected – but my country considers this sort of thing immoral, and effectively illegal

Otherwise, Anet screwed-up in delivery, and it’s unjust for them to ban for such an ambiguous offence. For shame.

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

I agree a harsh punishment was in order, but also believe that the punishment was perhaps too harsh. I would have expected a cleanout of all gold from the account instead.

I’m just thinking of the smart powersellers who used the exploiters to their advantage – gaining much more coin than the exploiters by simply buying mithril ore low, and selling it high. And then buying out the ectos at their low price in large bulks, while selling them when the market stabilized. Must have been so sweet on them. A smart powerseller could have made, what, 1000 to 2000 gold in about 1 day?

Edit: @Docherty: I’m a laywer too. You wouldn’t stand a chance in court. And even if you decided to take it to court, it would be way too expensive to do so. A legal discussion on this topic is moot.

(edited by Buttercup.5871)

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Seen it before. And?
Let me see… An ANet developer is making the earrings…
.1 – For wear them cause they are good and pretty?
.2 – The abuse the exploit? … (Why would a dev exploit in their own game, when there is game commands for mods and devs that can make items like in every MMO).
.3 – To assess the situation, and to have grounds to rule on this subject?

A lot of possibilities can arise. Nowhere in that picture he said that he exploited. Subjective opinions due to the problem involved is what making people undoubtedly accuse Staff on bad actions, when actually there were no proofs of that!!!

Innocent until proven guilty, and that’s a really blind shot!!!

If somebody made 500g with this (which I sincerely doubt), I say good for him! He made the most of a limited time opportunity before the market had time to react. That is called being ahead of the curve, or in other words, smart. Even without intervention the markets were catching up to make the opportunity unprofitable. How is this any different than buying something low before the market reacts and prices rise? I see no exploit.

That would be 100% truth if the gain wasn’t made by a faulty recipe!
A+B → 3A + B isn’t right!!! This is the problem!

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

(edited by LHound.8964)

Jabberwock.9014

You forgot a C. There was mithril in the recipe, which adjusted in price to make the recipe unprofitable.

Now that I think about it there was a D too: black lion salvage kits.

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

Good move A-net. Exploiters are damaging games massively and a permaban is the only way to get rid of them. I wont miss them.

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Or how about something we call a “warning”? You know…the kind of thing that gives people a chance? I’m surprised that arenanet has 0 tolerance for people who play their game and enjoy it; exploit or not exploit because exploits aren’t floating around everyday.

The warning was in the terms of service. The thing everyone agrees to. The onus isn’t on Anet for people that didn’t read it. Bans were also doled out for the karma exploit and the peppers exploit, which were the exact same thing as this. And most of those people were given a second chance.

Anet shouldnt have to issue a statement every few weeks reminding people to read what they click to agree to, or to exert a bit of common since if they come across something that can be egregiously exploited to the detriment of every player that isnt doing the same thing.

Well, I’ve never encountered a game that was as buggy as this. And also, remind me the next time you agree to a terms of service and I’ll tell the company to slip in a “…and you agree to pay $100 for the rest of your life to us” at the end. Who reads the terms of service. ArenaNet at the least could use their forums to announce incidents like the karma exploit or whatnot instead of going to third party sites or having the community report them because unlike us forum people, some people have no idea the things that are going on in this game.

And sure, ArenaNet doesn’t have to, we aren’t entitled to it; but I had a little hope that ArenaNet was more about making us into better players than punishing us for being baddies. They play the game and enjoy it. That’s all I’m saying. Botters don’t, they play for the money. But freaking game players who play with you everyday, pug with you, the good ones—-the guys you see running around the map to make it populated; not all people who were banned were straight out money hungry exploiters. Some were new to the game and took a risk, and some had no clue and possibly even thought it was working as intended as a special wintersday thing. But this punishment is beyond me. Was there an answer to any forum question on this matter? No.

Are you for real.. was this post really all about a “friend” or is there a more guarded reasoning behind it, cos having read your “mercy, please” posts in here I get the sense your pleading for forgiveness.

If not then use a litle bit of the grey matter and consider why ANet doesnt openly broadcast bugs, exploits etc…. cos by doing that is like creating an open season for all to go do it until a patch is created.
If you or your “freind” didn’t read the ToS then who is at fault.
ANet have given out chances previously and placed posts out to the community that hacking, exploiting, botting etc is a nono and will be dealt with, to the extent they have upped their game security, monitoring and evaluating so as to combat it.

Every MMO I have ever played or still play has bugs and exploits from time to time show me one that doesn’t. The difference is ANet have decided to get tough on players that continually abuse both the mechanics of the game and their own previous goodwill in handing out 2nd chances. You dont get a perma ban for accidentally exploiting a mechanic once or a few times, they look at the pattern of useage and those deemed to be out of line with the “accident” catchment get a perma ban … AND RIGHTLY SO!
You think roll backs are an answer.. why should everyone be penalised for someones greed and stupidity.. no thanks I would rather see them perma banned than to keep being hit with rollbacks everytime an exploiter gets caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

As for your “why perma ban” not a year, 5 years" etc etc… you gunna bother to wait around to get back into a game of pixels, open the curatins change channel or if needs be google MMO games.. theres a deep pool of choice out there to go try and exploit.

Bottom line these players being perma banned played the rolling dice game and took their chance… and lost, so good riddance to them.

Kanthor.2094

That would be 100% truth if the gain wasn’t made by a faulty recipe!
A+B -> 3A + B isn’t right!!! This is the problem!

It was more like A + B + C = 1.5C Of course the pro-ban people like to ignore A and B and only focus on C.

Posted by: Ruien.9506

Ruien.9506

Good job Anet. Cheaters will cheat if you let them. You should have kept the perma bans for the karma weapon exploit at launch and less people would continue to exploit. Keep the perma bans or all you will see is every cheater ramp up because they will know for sure they can get away with it.

For example, I found early on two items you could make while crafting that sold for 5 times what it cost to make. I knew tho this was an exploit and I reported it instead of using the exploit. Any person who did this snowflake exploit KNEW it was an exploit regardless what they say. They knew it couldn’t be intended.

(edited by Ruien.9506)

Bastion.2457

It isn’t cheating, yes you could make allot of money with it if you did it first, but that’s the entire point, they did it first, i was to late and the snowflake prices had already balanced out. But it’s simple market play, it’s not exploiting…

Where is the spirit from GW1? Remember all those farms? Urgoz spiritfarm, 55, Perma sin, Obsidian tank. You could basicly make 200 k in a few hours if you were the first to go there and find it out.

It’s cheating as you are “EXPLOITING” a broken recipe to make massive gains at no cost to yourself.

Every MMo player knows that, following a patch, a vendor selling items for cheaper than they sell for = infinite gold = exploit = report and DO NOT GO NEAR IT.

Every MMo player knows that, following a patch, an NPC respawning instantly offering great drops, or has accidentally had it’s super rare drop made 100% = infinite gold = exploit = report and DO NOT GO NEAR IT.

Every MMo player knows that, following a patch, a recipe that is broken to give MASSIVE gains from little to no loss = inifinite gold = exploit = report and DO NOT GO NEAR IT.

You people really need to stop pretending you don’t understand this stuff. The developers aren’t stupid, and your continual belief that acting innocent makes it an innocent act doesn’t wash. You are still going to get banned for it, no matter who was on the toilet at the time while your brother destroyed the economy, and you were chained up so you simply couldn’t stop him, because it wasn’t your fault.

Posted by: possessed.2036

possessed.2036

Cry me a river.Use an exploit & you get banned, its not rocket science & in the ToS of basically every mmo.
Do the crime , do the time.

Posted by: Opsfor.2814

Opsfor.2814

hahaha. Anet wants you to play the way they wanted. You are the puppet where aNet is the handler. When they said you are wrong, you are WRONG, no need to argue. :P

Exploit or not, there is no standard way of measurement. Everything depends on anet. When they said it is a exploit, it is a exploit. When they said it is not, it is not a exploit.

Imo, the fault lies with both parties (players and anet). Why i said so? 1st of all, Anet release the recipe (anet fault), and players used it to benefit themself (players fault). 2nd, when players found out this recipe can gain more ecto (not knowing this is a kind of exploit as define by anet), players continue to do it.

If you are not happy with the way Anet handles the game style play style, you can simply leave the game.

Posted by: Dantos.1065

Dantos.1065

Good job Anet. Cheaters will cheat if you let them. You should have kept the perma bans for the karma weapon exploit at launch and less people would continue to exploit. Keep the perma bans or all you will see is every cheater ramp up because they will know for sure they can get away with it.

For example, I found early on two items you could make while crafting that sold for 5 times what it cost to make. I knew tho this was an exploit and I reported it instead of using the exploit. Any person who did this snowflake exploit KNEW it was an exploit regardless what they say. They knew it couldn’t be intended.

I’d consider it cheating worthy of a perm ban if you couldnt spend X dollars and get 500g in gems and then trade them in, from doing nothing in game, at all.

And no, I did no do this exploit, and wasn’t banned.

Posted by: Asuka Shikinami.5462

Asuka Shikinami.5462

Hey guys, I just started a separate thread as a discussion relating to how Anet handles punishment, as this seems to be ignored and sorely lacking. Ideas or feedback would be most welcome.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/An-open-discussion-about-fair-punishment/first#post1133762

Cheers.

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink”
- John Smith

Fox.3469

It’s cheating as you are “EXPLOITING” a broken recipe to make massive gains at no cost to yourself.

Every MMo player knows that, following a patch, a vendor selling items for cheaper than they sell for = infinite gold = exploit = report and DO NOT GO NEAR IT.

Every MMo player knows that, following a patch, an NPC respawning instantly offering great drops, or has accidentally had it’s super rare drop made 100% = infinite gold = exploit = report and DO NOT GO NEAR IT.

Every MMo player knows that, following a patch, a recipe that is broken to give MASSIVE gains from little to no loss = inifinite gold = exploit = report and DO NOT GO NEAR IT.

You people really need to stop pretending you don’t understand this stuff. The developers aren’t stupid, and your continual belief that acting innocent makes it an innocent act doesn’t wash. You are still going to get banned for it, no matter who was on the toilet at the time while your brother destroyed the economy, and you were chained up so you simply couldn’t stop him, because it wasn’t your fault.

Well excuse me doctor Einstein.

I play with allot of people who just aren’t your typical mmo player. They can make money of a recipe and they do it. Now 2 of my guildies both made 50 ecto’s crafting like this, i haven’t hear from em yet, but they are normal people, who just found a way to make some ecto’s progressing towards their legendairy. I had dusk drop for me in the karka event. They made 50 ecto’s, and you can say i made 500 g(did equip the dusk), they didn’t exploit as i didn’t either. I got lucky on the karka event, they came before the curve on the trading post. A few hours later they told me about it and it was already worthless to do it because the TP had leveled prices.

Now fyi they didn’t craft the first tier of snowflake things, wich was locked already, they crafted the second highest tier and trew em in the mystic forge. I have no idea if the first tier was bugged or broken, but if they are banned for making honest crafting gold (aka second tier) it’s just stupid.

Posted by: Bhelliom.5324

Bhelliom.5324

I find this extremely funny!! They make a game that has so much potential and could go extremely far but because they do not know how to run a class 1 MMO its going to kitten. Mistake after mistake keeps happening and you will have to think how you are going to fix it before it is too late.

Lesson One – Don’t kitten off your customer base.

Lesson Two – If you kitten up don’t hold your customers accountable.

Well for me I will continue to play while I find this game fun. Sadly this company has lost all the respect from me and will Never receive another penny from my wallet.

(edited by Bhelliom.5324)

Bastion.2457

Well excuse me doctor Einstein.

I play with allot of people who just aren’t your typical mmo player. They can make money of a recipe and they do it. Now 2 of my guildies both made 50 ecto’s crafting like this, i haven’t hear from em yet, but they are normal people, who just found a way to make some ecto’s progressing towards their legendairy. I had dusk drop for me in the karka event. They made 50 ecto’s, and you can say i made 500 g(did equip the dusk), they didn’t exploit as i didn’t either. I got lucky on the karka event, they came before the curve on the trading post. A few hours later they told me about it and it was already worthless to do it because the TP had leveled prices.

Now fyi they didn’t craft the first tier of snowflake things, wich was locked already, they crafted the second highest tier and trew em in the mystic forge. I have no idea if the first tier was bugged or broken, but if they are banned for making honest crafting gold (aka second tier) it’s just stupid.

tl;dr you exploit, you pay the price. Simple.

Bastion.2457

I find this extremely funny!! They make a game that has so much potential and could go extremely far because they do not know how to run a class 1 MMO. Mistake after mistake keeps happening and you will have to think how you are going to fix it before it is too late.

Lesson One – Don’t kitten off your customer base.

Lesson Two – If you kitten up don’t hold your customers accountable.

Well for me I will continue to play while I find this game fun. Sadly this company has lost all the respect from me and will Never receive another penny from my wallet.

Nope.

People don’t come to the game because they do or do not action exploiters. People come to videogames based on reviews, trailers, and playing it themselves. The forums are always the last place I look when choosing a new game to play, as generally they are filled with bog beasts and bottom feeders.

People also don’t leave games because people who are exploiting get banned. People tend to not also leave games for being banned, they just rebuy and start again, no matter how much flashy mouth they use on their initial exit.

People quit when they quit, and return when they return, but never as a reason of some people in a game they play getting rightly actioned for exploitation.

Fox.3469

You know what this is, Arenanet makes a mistake and sees that players won’t have to buy gems anymore so they remove em, as they are useless to them now…

Posted by: Agenteusa.6380

Agenteusa.6380

It’s not kinda harsh. I’m honestly tired of people trying to justify exploiting. Sure there have been situations in all my gaming history in mmo’s where it was reaally obscure what was cheating or not.

But this case, let me put it simply:

If you have a reciped that by breaking it after you craft it you get more mats than you had at the start, you should know something is wrong.

And that’s cool, just contact support and report. You don’t and keep making it, you get yourself banned. Easy as pie.

Don’t complain.

PS I don’t agree with a lot of ANets decisions on this game, but I think against exploiters it has been a sharp response from them. Now on to botters again :P

Bastion.2457

You know what this is, Arenanet makes a mistake and sees that players won’t have to buy gems anymore so they remove em, as they are useless to them now…

Easily the silliest thing I have read today. I love how you think this is how companies work though lol. Tell me, in this company, do they also have a department for designing the ultimate Wacky Racer, and another dedicated to catching that darn pigeon?

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

The decision to permanently ban “exploiters” were made in good faith but the harm associated with the precedent set by ANet with this decision by far exceed any gain. In essence, ANet has sent the message that ANY profitable salvaged material is an exploit, (eg: salvaging a yellow for ecto). I do not think ANet fully comprehend the magnitude of the harm set by this precedent…

The message Anet has sent is actually a good message and does no harm. You cheat the system you get banned. Its that simple. It seems like a lot a lot of common sense is missing in some of these post. The only ones to get banned were the ones that really abused it. Its so easy to make gold in this game if you put in a bit of time but some lazy kitten gamers are always looking for a way to cheat the system. I mean how clueless does a person have to be to not realize that that wasn’t intended?? Come on now be for real. Don’t make excuses for those lazy gamers.

What about the lazy developers who push things into production way too fast. Seriously, he should get fired and I’ll be done with this thread. He gave an opportunity to people that costed them their game.

So.. on one hand you openly support that RL human being dealt a cruel blow in firing them for making a mistake.. yes real life where that results in many other potential issues for that person… but yet your willing to plea for forgiveness for those players caught with their fingers in a virtual pixelated cookie jar and more likely not for the first time in game…. you sir smell real bad of hypocrisy.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

An exploit usually results from bad game coding to begin with.

In this case, the exploit manipualted the TP to a greater degree. The result was harsh but what is interesting is how quickly ANet responded. Just shows how pedantic they are about their TP and economy.

I bet if they didn’t make money of of it (TP) then they would not respond as quickly. And hoenstly they are at fault to begin with – not sure where it was stated but ANet said they pretty much made a mistake with regards to this. Players just seised the opportinity so in this regard, the penatly was slightly too harsh in my opinion.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Dantos.1065

Dantos.1065

Easily the silliest thing I have read today. I love how you think this is how companies work though lol. Tell me, in this company, do they also have a department for designing the ultimate Wacky Racer, and another dedicated to catching that darn pigeon?

I’m actually shocked you DONT think this is how companies work. Arenanet made a system where you can buy gold directly through them for real money, AND made gold very scarce in the game. Doesnt take a genius to see that anything that threatens the in game economy, and the scarcity of wealth is a threat to their bottom line.

Kanthor.2094

If you have a reciped that by breaking it after you craft it you get more mats than you had at the start, you should know something is wrong.

I agree 100% but that wasn’t the case here.

Posted by: Schnuffles.5369

Schnuffles.5369

All about that $$$

Step 1: Mass ban players.
Step 2: Results in reduced load on servers and decreases running costs.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: PROFIT!!!

Step 5: Buy out GOTY awards.
Step 6: Get a new wave of players to buy the game.
Step 7: Repeat as above.

Bastion.2457

I’m actually shocked you DONT think this is how companies work. Arenanet made a system where you can buy gold directly through them for real money, AND made gold very scarce in the game. Doesnt take a genius to see that anything that threatens the in game economy, and the scarcity of wealth is a threat to their bottom line.

As someone in a similar company, I can tell you there is no “evil corporation” department, only departments dedicated to producing great games, excellent customer service, and better and better products. People are delusional if they think companies go out of their way to make things uncomfortable for their customer.

The product is you, so you need to be treated with the utmost care and attention. It kind of scares me how few people have a realistic view of how the world works sometimes, thanks in part to hollywood movies and cartoons.

Fox.3469

Indeed, they are the ones making a mistake, and this isn’t as obvious as the karma stuff, my guildies certainly weren’t considering this an exploit. Now you can call em dumb and brainless, but they aren’t, they just thought they found a gap in the market.

Bastion.2457

Indeed, they are the ones making a mistake, and this isn’t as obvious as the karma stuff, my guildies certainly weren’t considering this an exploit. Now you can call em dumb and brainless, but they aren’t, they just thought they found a gap in the market.

Finding a recipe that gives you more mats than you used to make something is not a gap in the market. It’s a very obvious exploit, and I grant you some exploits are not as clear cut, but for you to think that something that gives more back than you use to make is not an exploit, well sir, im sorry for your genes.

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

In my opinion,… they perma ban people because they don’t have a roll back system in place,…

Still, perma ban is kitten harsh.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

C’mon, they banned some exploiters. Only the worst exploiters in this case. If you think this has a major influx on the playerbase you are off by some miles.
It was obvious, whoever used this way to earn ectos knew it.

Why would you justify this missbehaviour? Why would the punishment for it be less then a ban. Why would you be surprised if you exploited some service and the company excluded you from using it?

Grow up. This is by all means not ANets fault.

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)