Permit duplicates of permanent tools

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kate Soulguard.7132

Kate Soulguard.7132

Once someone has purchased all three types of harvesting tool, please add the ability to duplicate them across other characters on the account.

On sale, permanent harvesting tools cost 850 gems each. Total it’s 2550 gems, or a little under $32.

For that price, the convenience is appreciated. Accessibility should be similar to outfits once you reach one of each type of tool.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have duplicated across all the characters on my account, using the shared inventory slots — for 700 gems (less if bought in a bundle of 5), all my toons have access. I haven’t spent coin|karma on a harvesting tools since these were added to the game.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Pittcrew.6592

Pittcrew.6592

I have duplicated across all the characters on my account, using the shared inventory slots — for 700 gems (less if bought in a bundle of 5), all my toons have access. I haven’t spent coin|karma on a harvesting tools since these were added to the game.

The issue is that it’s simply not convenient to do this. If I could spend another 700-1000 gems to unlock a way to duplicate each tool infinitely, then I’d get the same result without having to worry about swapping the tools every single time I alt. And then if you forget once, you may lose track of who had it, and have to go through everyone again. It’s just terrible for convenience, and it’s the kind of terrible that makes you not want to buy more copies to solve it, so they likely aren’t selling more to average people, while still breeding frustration among players.

(edited by Pittcrew.6592)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

So tools are 1,000 gems.

You get 5 characters with the base game, with the ability to add more.

If they let you simply copy that tool to all characters, that’s a minimum of 4,000 gems that you never have to buy.

Some people have 50 characters on their account, so that’d be 49,000 gems that never get sold.

See the issue?

While it would be super awesome to have an account-wide unlimited tool, it isn’t practical due to the lost revenue it would cause.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Pittcrew.6592

Pittcrew.6592

So tools are 1,000 gems.

If they let you simply copy that tool to all characters, that’s a minimum of 4,000 gems that you never have to buy.

Some people have 50 characters on their account, so that’d be 49,000 gems that never get sold.

See the issue?

While it would be super awesome to have an account-wide unlimited tool, it isn’t practical due to the lost revenue it would cause.

Obviously both we and they don’t have the information fully, but the idea would be, if you sell an account version for a little more, you will make more profit from it in total because more people will buy it if they know they never need to buy it again. It’s precisely why people use shared inventory and work towards permanent contracts, because they want to get it and be done, even if it means spending an obscene and technically not-worth-it amount.

So we don’t have the data on if it’d be worth it, but I can bet you that less than .01% would actually ever buy 3 tools for each of their mains, let alone any random alts (which would usually be any beyond 9 characters). And I personally will never buy more than 1 set of the tools unless they sell account-wide. And if they did do this, then I would be willing to buy more than 1 set even, for the sake of cosmetics or the little perks you can get from them (along with the fact that I could just swap between them super easily, like an outfit – hence why I buy outfits). The reason I don’t want to get more than 1 is I don’t want to reward them for giving me more work to do and more micromanaging to deal with; and having 2+ sets really doesn’t help any more than 1 set when you have a bunch of characters that need it.

(edited by Pittcrew.6592)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The issue is that it’s simply not convenient to do this.

It certainly is convenient for me to do this.

I had to change some habits, but it’s superior to any other existing alternative

And in my opinion, it’s better than any likely future alternative. ANet sells a lot of harvesting tools now; they would probably sell fewer (the number of current repeat buyers likely exceeds the number of potential new buyers). I’d rather spend a tiny bit of time now double-clicking 3 times just before (and just after) I swap toons than spending more later.

Everyone’s preferences vary, of course. I just have trouble imagining that it’s worth the trouble to ANet to change the existing system

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

The issue is that it’s simply not convenient to do this.

It certainly is convenient for me to do this.

I had to change some habits, but it’s superior to any other existing alternative
And in my opinion, it’s better than any likely future alternative. ANet sells a lot of harvesting tools now; they would probably sell fewer (the number of current repeat buyers likely exceeds the number of potential new buyers). I’d rather spend a tiny bit of time now double-clicking 3 times just before (and just after) I swap toons than spending more later.
Everyone’s preferences vary, of course. I just have trouble imagining that it’s worth the trouble to ANet to change the existing system

Convenient for me too, been doing the swap thing since I bought them almost when they first came out. Usually I put them in the bank to swap since I have other stuff in the shared bags right now. No issues here to swap to another char.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

+1
This is the main reason I’m not spending any money on these.
If I have to remove them and put them in the shared slots every time I change character,it’s not worth the gems.
These are already account bound items,so the argument that if they provided that added feature they’d lose money is false.
They are losing money as it is now though.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

At first there were no infinite gathering tools. People wanted them, and now they’re here. Then people wanted them accountbound instead of soulbound, and now they are. Some people probably bought duplicates because unequipping them is probably too much of an effort (or remembering who has them). Then we got shared inventory slots and characters have access to those whenever and wherever they want. A perfect tool to put in items you might need across all characters. Yet still it isn’t good enough and now people want to copy their already owned infinite gathering tools to other characters.

I hope ANet won’t cater to this. People just want to put in as little effort for the maximum benefit. In my opinion that is just indolence. Shared inventory slots are more than good enough for infinite gathering tools. Also, with all the different kinds of infinite gathering tools they keep releasing, fat chance they’ll ever let us copy the ones we already own to more than one character at the same time. This is revenue. This idleness just means more work for ANet with nothing in it for them. Unrealistic expectations.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I think a more feasible change would be to sell a basic unlimited use tool for 400 gems. It is account bound so it can be traded around and also pretty cheap so players will likely buy a few sets of them.

Then they can sell the various versions (Cosmic, Molten, Flute, etc.) as skin unlocks for the unlimited tool. These would then be in the 800-1,000 gem range.

This system could ultimately lead to players getting the basic functionality for less gems, but the full experience would cost more gems as you are now incentivized to buy new skins as they are released so that you can customize each character.

I’m fine with the “change looks all the time” people bearing the brunt of the cost of maintaining the game, that’s how the game was designed after all.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: toyz.2450

toyz.2450

Or maybe make these tools as wardrobe thingies? Once acquired you can just put them into next toon’s gathering slots. I can’t believe people will buy another set for $30 just for an alt. But.. I definitely will buy more just for having them all in wardrobe.

altoholics anonimous

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

+1
This is the main reason I’m not spending any money on these.
If I have to remove them and put them in the shared slots every time I change character,it’s not worth the gems.
These are already account bound items,so the argument that if they provided that added feature they’d lose money is false.
They are losing money as it is now though.

I don’t know exactly how you’re using these tools with your account-bound slots, but it sounds like you’re doing it wrong.

I keep a full set of orichalcum tools in my account-bound slots and have three slots leftover. Whenever I want to switch to a different character, I just equip the orichalcum tools to the character I’m leaving et voila, the infinite tools are in the account-bound slots. I never have to open the equipment pane. The only time it is frustrating is when you switch characters before swapping the tools out.

It gets better if all you’re doing is flax farming or what have you, since you only need to swap the sickle in this manner.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Yes, that is a complete pain, which is why I stopped doing it that way.

Now, I just double-click the tools in the shared slots — while you still have to do this twice per toon (immediately after starting and just before swapping), it takes very little effort. Now that I’m used to doing it, it’s actually less effort than using salvage kits.

(This requires having a tool in the relevant slot — the post-load double-click loads the infinite tool; the pre-swap double-click transfers it back to the shared slot.)

Since every HoT owner has at least one slot, you can give this a try even if you don’t own enough slots.

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

I think a more feasible change would be to sell a basic unlimited use tool for 400 gems. It is account bound so it can be traded around and also pretty cheap so players will likely buy a few sets of them.

Then they can sell the various versions (Cosmic, Molten, Flute, etc.) as skin unlocks for the unlimited tool. These would then be in the 800-1,000 gem range.

This system could ultimately lead to players getting the basic functionality for less gems, but the full experience would cost more gems as you are now incentivized to buy new skins as they are released so that you can customize each character.

I’m fine with the “change looks all the time” people bearing the brunt of the cost of maintaining the game, that’s how the game was designed after all.

I’d add that the basic unlimited pick should produce sprockets. There’s many people like myself with the Watchwork pick who were/are reluctant to use another pick due to losing the sprockets. I’d happily buy skins for that pick if they were available.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

Posted by: Etienne.3049

Etienne.3049

So tools are 1,000 gems.

See the issue?

I have 1 set of gathering tools now, and will probably never purchase another if they remain as they are.
If they were made account wide I’d be quite likely to pick up the sprocket one at some point.
They could probably sell me shared gathering lots for a few thousand gems.

The issue is nowhere near as simple as you’re trying to make it seem.

(edited by Etienne.3049)

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

So tools are 1,000 gems.

See the issue?

I have 1 set of gathering tools now, and will probably never purchase another if they remain as they are.
If they were made account bound I’d be quite likely to pick up the sprocket one at some point.

For the sake of keeping things clear, they are account bound already. The request is for the ultimate convenience of a means of not having to slot them every time on each character.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I hope ANet won’t cater to this. People just want to put in as little effort for the maximum benefit. In my opinion that is just indolence. Shared inventory slots are more than good enough for infinite gathering tools. Also, with all the different kinds of infinite gathering tools they keep releasing, fat chance they’ll ever let us copy the ones we already own to more than one character at the same time. This is revenue. This idleness just means more work for ANet with nothing in it for them. Unrealistic expectations.

I’m surprised people are defending the current implementation. Convenience items, especially at this cost, should be as convenient as possible. Not just less inconvenient than the alternative.

Anet is pretty inconsistent with some of these gem store items, tbh. It’s puzzling and a little frustrating. High cost items (gathering tools, armour and weapon skins) are less convenient to use than the cheaper ones (outfits and glider skins). Makes no sense to me.

Kate Soulguard.7132

See the issue?

Hello mtpelion.4562,

Dyes are universally accessible.
Outfits are universally accessible.
Finishing animations are universally accessible.
Lots of things are universally accessible.

These things all cost less than the tools, yet they’re universally accessible without swapping between characters.

In fact, if you recall, dye went in the opposite direction from what you’re arguing. That moved from individual character to universal, and they credited free dye for duplicates across characters.

So there is a precedent for what I’m asking. ArenaNet does not decide on this solely based on the revenue argument you specify, and they’ve made this decision for items that cost much less than permanent tools.

I want to buy more animations. I don’t want to buy more tools, and the tools should have concurrent accessibility like other shared items / animations.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

See the issue?

Hello mtpelion.4562,

Dyes are universally accessible.
Outfits are universally accessible.
Finishing animations are universally accessible.
Lots of things are universally accessible.

These things all cost less than the tools, yet they’re universally accessible without swapping between characters.

In fact, if you recall, dye went in the opposite direction from what you’re arguing. That moved from individual character to universal, and they credited free dye for duplicates across characters.

So there is a precedent for what I’m asking. ArenaNet does not decide on this solely based on the revenue argument you specify, and they’ve made this decision for items that cost much less than permanent tools.

I want to buy more animations. I don’t want to buy more tools, and the tools should have concurrent accessibility like other shared items / animations.

Yes, a lot of cosmetic unlocks are universally accessible but items are not universally accessible. Gathering tools are items, they slot into your character’s equipment and you buy them for gold (copper/silver really) or permanent versions for gems.

Bag slots are not universally accessible.
Bags are not universally accessible.
Tools are not universally accessible.
Armour is not universally accessible.
Weapons are not universally accessible.
Runes/Sigils are not universally accessible.
Consumables are not universally accessible.

And so on, you can definitely say that you want these things to be account unlocks and that’s fine (I’d like to use my watchwork picks on all my characters too and get back refunds for the duplicate tools I’ve bought) but the fact is they are not unlocks. They’re equipment.

Posted by: Etienne.3049

Etienne.3049

So tools are 1,000 gems.

See the issue?

If they were made account bound I’d be quite likely to pick up the sprocket one at some point.

For the sake of keeping things clear, they are account bound already. The request is for the ultimate convenience of a means of not having to slot them every time on each character.

Ah yes, I made a small error there, meant to say account wide.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

They should be, but that’s another topic entirely.

Armor and weapon skins are, though. Not only do you have the achievement/HoM skins that were infinite even before the wardrobe, the wardrobe also made every weapon and armor skin you’ve unlocked infinite use (especially important for gem store sets, where you only got one copy period without buying another pre-wardrobe).

(They’ve also made a bunch of currencies, ranging from dungeon tokens to fractal relics to transmutation charges to zone currencies part of a universally-accessible wallet instead of inventory items you had to manage).

Pifil.5193

They should be, but that’s another topic entirely.

Armor and weapon skins are, though. Not only do you have the achievement/HoM skins that were infinite even before the wardrobe, the wardrobe also made every weapon and armor skin you’ve unlocked infinite use (especially important for gem store sets, where you only got one copy period without buying another pre-wardrobe).

(They’ve also made a bunch of currencies, ranging from dungeon tokens to fractal relics to transmutation charges to zone currencies part of a universally-accessible wallet instead of inventory items you had to manage).

As I said cosmetic unlocks are universally accessible not items, I don’t get the point you’re trying to make. The skins are also not “universally accessible” in that they require transmutation charges to apply them to items that are not universally accessible (apart from HoM and achievement skins, that is, those don’t require charges but do require items to apply them to).

Kate Soulguard.7132

And so on, you can definitely say that you want these things to be account unlocks and that’s fine (I’d like to use my watchwork picks on all my characters too and get back refunds for the duplicate tools I’ve bought) but the fact is they are not unlocks. They’re equipment.

Hi Pifil,

I certainly understand the way you’re differentiating these into the equipment category.

Fortunately for me, their classification isn’t relevant to my request. :-) I am asking for a reform toward greater convenience, given the relatively high cost of the tools. Because they are items that go in slots, the path of least resistance to get what I want is a tool duplicator.

Consideration of development time is important when I ask for a reform to a feature. The path of least resistance to get to what I’m asking for is to copy tools. They would just need a vendor and some item check logic.

[Edit: blathering wall of text deleted!]

(edited by Kate Soulguard.7132)

TheNecrosanct.4028

Hi Pifil,

I certainly understand the way you’re differentiating these into the equipment category.

Fortunately for me, their classification isn’t relevant to my request. :-) I am asking for a reform toward greater convenience, given the relatively high cost of the tools. Because they are items that go in slots, the path of least resistance to get what I want is a tool duplicator.

Consideration of development time is important when I ask for a reform to a feature. The path of least resistance to get to what I’m asking for is to copy tools. They would just need a vendor and some item check logic.

Considering how much revenue they would lose because there wouldn’t be an incentive to buy more than 1 set of gathering tools, I’m calling it now: the Tool Duplicator, gem store item, 500 gems, one time use only. :P

Posted by: Meehael.8240

Meehael.8240

Now, I just double-click the tools in the shared slots — while you still have to do this twice per toon (immediately after starting and just before swapping), it takes very little effort. Now that I’m used to doing it, it’s actually less effort than using salvage kits.

(This requires having a tool in the relevant slot — the post-load double-click loads the infinite tool; the pre-swap double-click transfers it back to the shared slot.)

Since every HoT owner has at least one slot, you can give this a try even if you don’t own enough slots.

Hey, I can’t make it work the way you described.
Double-click on the tool in the shared slot equips it, that works, but for un-equipping, I still have to open Hero window, go to Equipment and un-equip it.
How do you put it into a shared slot by double-clicking?

Thx

Intel i7-3770, MSI GTX1070 8GB, Asus P8H61 Pro, 16GB DDR3 @1600 MHz,
Corsair CX500 PSU, Kingston V300 60GB SSD

Kate Soulguard.7132

Something I don’t understand so well though, concerning the course of conversation in this thread, is why we’re splitting hairs about what a tool is. If we’re going to be academic about it, tools are in their own little corner of our taxonomy. They are part consumable, part custom animation, and part slottable equipment.

It doesn’t really matter so much to me – my argument is the same whether these tools are classified as equipment, unlock, or kitten. Permanent tools are store-only, they cost a lot, and I am asking for added convenience.

Other reforms, such as splitting out the animation, are out of scope for me. While I do like that particular idea, it does not accomplish what I desire: universal (concurrent) accessibility of permanent tools across characters.

TheNecrosanct.4028

I’m surprised people are defending the current implementation. Convenience items, especially at this cost, should be as convenient as possible. Not just less inconvenient than the alternative.

Anet is pretty inconsistent with some of these gem store items, tbh. It’s puzzling and a little frustrating. High cost items (gathering tools, armour and weapon skins) are less convenient to use than the cheaper ones (outfits and glider skins). Makes no sense to me.

The answer is in your reply. They are convenience items, and convenience is a subjective term. I find them highly convenient, especially when coupled with shared inventory slots. Not once did I think: “I wish I could duplicate these on all my characters”. Remember the start of infinite gathering tools? Did people complain about inconvenience then? And then when they made them accountbound, more complaints about inconvenience? I don’t remember anything of the sort. Certainly no large outcry. Convenience is not for free. It’s an extra service, one they expanded upon through time. Next thing you know people want gathering materials to drop in their inventory by just standing next to a node and looking at it.

But this is just my opinion. Convenience makes people lazy. It makes them take things for granted, and it makes them demand more. All traits I do not value in people. Sure, there are exceptions, but they are not the majority. Accountbound infinite gathering tools that can be shared among characters through shared inventory slots is an option I’m grateful for. ANet have done a fine job in that regard as it is. There are far more important things they can invest their time and money in.

Pifil.5193

Double-click on the tool in the shared slot equips it, that works, but for un-equipping, I still have to open Hero window, go to Equipment and un-equip it.

Thx

I think what people do is make sure they have a set of normal vendor tools equipped in their character’s harvesting slots. Then you put your permanent tools in the shared slots, double-clicking on the permanent tool will equip it and put the vendor tool in the shared slot. Then when you’re about to stop playing you can double-click the vendor tool (edit: in the shared slot) and it puts the permanent tool back in the shared slot.

(edited by Pifil.5193)

Posted by: Kyvrn.4209

Kyvrn.4209

If they did this, they would have to compensate everyone who bought more than one set of tools. I have bought a lot of dups

Kyvrn | Dom Chrono | Leader of Twinrovas [ROVA]

Posted by: Kyvrn.4209

Kyvrn.4209

Thx

I think what people do is make sure they have a set of normal vendor tools equipped in their character’s harvesting slots. Then you put your permanent tools in the shared slots, double-clicking on the permanent tool will equip it and put the vendor tool in the shared slot. Then when you’re about to stop playing you can double-click the vendor tool (edit: in the shared slot) and it puts the permanent tool back in the shared slot.

Such a waste of slots though…

Kyvrn | Dom Chrono | Leader of Twinrovas [ROVA]

Posted by: Meehael.8240

Meehael.8240

Thx

Ah, I got it, thx

Intel i7-3770, MSI GTX1070 8GB, Asus P8H61 Pro, 16GB DDR3 @1600 MHz,
Corsair CX500 PSU, Kingston V300 60GB SSD

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

I would love it if they did that, would definetly be easier and cheaper for me. But it’s something they probly won’t do for at least a couple of years. Like everything things change. Like it was mentioned earlier they were soulbound for 800gems, I know my one guildie bought 8 of them one per toon. Now since they’re account bound, that was a waste of money she spent. Also back then 800gems was like 100g to get, if not more.

I think a more reasonable thing to do, specially with how often they are making new ones,. Would be just make them for 400-500gems. I know i would gladly buy new ones to suit certain toons needs/profession. But with current gem prices never gonna happen.

Same with i would love it if we could trade the ones we have in for a newer or different version of it. Getting tired of chopping a tree down with lightning or making fire spew out of the ore lol.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I’ve got perma tools on 10, maybe 11 characters, it was an investment from years ago, I do not own most modern skins.

If they extrapolate the sets to other characters that’s fine by me but I’s want a refund for ~30 *800 or 1000 gems, for the sets I do not need to use anymore. whcih is about 300-350 euro’s or dollars in lost revenue due to returns.

I know quite some people with 2 or more sets most of those bought the sets when they were still character bound. If they’d implement this I’d get a refund on my 19 of my 20 copper feds as well, as the need to change stuff from char to char could easily be solves by exchanging some of the gems to other shared slots, or just using my perma bank contract (is two additional double clicks. meh….)

19*800 + 20*800 +10*1000 = 41.200 gems or so… for my account alone… or 515 euro’s/dollar

You DO want new content do you??

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Take all of the gems you would spend on unlimited tools, exchange them for gold. Use gold to buy a permanent merchant contract off the TP. Put in shared inventory.

You now have unlimited gathering tools for as many characters as you want to make.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

CMM.6712

Take all of the gems you would spend on unlimited tools, exchange them for gold. Use gold to buy a permanent merchant contract off the TP. Put in shared inventory.

You now have unlimited gathering tools for as many characters as you want to make.

Except that there is a still a cost at the merchant, and the picks do not drop sprockets.

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

The infinite harvesting tools in the gem store have always seemed like a bad deal to me, even for 1 character. A copper-o-matic is 800 gems, which is a flat $10, for something I use every 30 seconds. The harvesting tools are 1000 gems, so a $20 minimum each, and I use them much less frequently.

In addition, unlike the copper-o-matic, which I use regularly in all game modes, the harvesting tools only get used when I’m about to burst farm an area. Since I have to prepare for the burst anyway (usually by switching characters to my speedy thief, using speed boosts, et cetera), going to the kodan merchant in LA to pick up some spare harvesting tools for like 20 silver really isnt that inconvenient.

I addition, you really need all 3 on one character for it to be convenient at all, since if you have 1 or 2, you will make the same number of trips to a merchant to refill on tools.

Posted by: CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617

CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617

If ANet decides to make infinite harvest tools duplicable to all characters on an account, they had better also be ready to refund the cost of multiple purchases of tools to players who do have more than 1 set of infinite gathering tools. I have 3 sets, and I will be REALLY upset if I suddenly find that everyone who only bought 1 set can freely use them on all characters unless I get my gems back for 2 sets!

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

I disagree with this thread, because it would nullify the hundreds of dollars i spent on the duplicates for each character. I think a healthy compromise would be to lower the price on subsequent sets of tools.

I lost 6400 gems on copper salvage-o-matics, due to the shared inventory slots. Thats 6400 gems i won’t ever see again, so creating new stuff, to handle things like this, is frustrating.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

CMM.6712

The infinite harvesting tools in the gem store have always seemed like a bad deal to me, even for 1 character. A copper-o-matic is 800 gems, which is a flat $10, for something I use every 30 seconds. The harvesting tools are 1000 gems, so a $20 minimum each, and I use them much less frequently.

In addition, unlike the copper-o-matic, which I use regularly in all game modes, the harvesting tools only get used when I’m about to burst farm an area. Since I have to prepare for the burst anyway (usually by switching characters to my speedy thief, using speed boosts, et cetera), going to the kodan merchant in LA to pick up some spare harvesting tools for like 20 silver really isnt that inconvenient.

I addition, you really need all 3 on one character for it to be convenient at all, since if you have 1 or 2, you will make the same number of trips to a merchant to refill on tools.

I harvest with all of my characters and the infinite tools are a nice convenience especially with the shared slots, could they be made more convenient? Sure.

I bought them for the convenience of not having to go to the merchant repeatedly because I kept running out, and for the bonus of some extra coin with the sprockets from the watchwork pick. Very much worth it to me, not all players play this game the same way.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am confused…how is 800 Gems 10 dollars, and 1000 Gems 20 dollars? For me, anyway, 1000 Gems is $12.50.

Posted by: mobile storage.1294

mobile storage.1294

have 8 of those tools and would gladly exchange 5 duplicates for 5 shared inventory slots for conveniences

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I feel so lame for just buying Orichalcum tools and never having this problem. So, in order to make myself feel relevant, I want this change for the salvage machines too because I own one of those.

Thanks Anet!

Quarktastic.1027

Except that there is a still a cost at the merchant, and the picks do not drop sprockets.

Orichalcum gathering tools cost a whopping 4 silver each. That’s a cost of 4 copper per swing for the axe/pick, and 8 copper for the harvesting sickle. As for lack of watchwork sprockets, you got me there.

Still, if you think buying unlimited gathering tools is more economical than using orichalcum tools, you are mistaken (with the exception of the watchwork pick).

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Quarktastic.1027

I am confused…how is 800 Gems 10 dollars, and 1000 Gems 20 dollars? For me, anyway, 1000 Gems is $12.50.

I think the point there is: Since you can’t buy 1000 gems, you have to spend $20 to get enough gems for an unlimited gathering tool. Then you have a bunch of gems leftover that you didn’t necessarily need. It’s an underhanded marketing tactic that I wish MMO developers would move away from.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

CMM.6712

Orichalcum gathering tools cost a whopping 4 silver each. That’s a cost of 4 copper per swing for the axe/pick, and 8 copper for the harvesting sickle. As for lack of watchwork sprockets, you got me there.

Still, if you think buying unlimited gathering tools is more economical than using orichalcum tools, you are mistaken (with the exception of the watchwork pick).

That is where the convenience factor comes in and not having to be frustrated when I can’t gather at a node because the blue pick ran out! + not having to go to a merchant to get another

IIRC when I bought the set of tools it was impossible to stack the merchant tools. Not sure if this is or isn’t the case or not, can’t remember… but I think that factored into my decision as well.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think the point there is: Since you can’t buy 1000 gems, you have to spend $20 to get enough gems for an unlimited gathering tool. Then you have a bunch of gems leftover that you didn’t necessarily need. It’s an underhanded marketing tactic that I wish MMO developers would move away from.

I buy mine in lots of either 1200 or 2000 ($15 or $25), so there are other choices. Not to mention augmenting a purchase of Gems by using the exchange.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Hi Pifil,

Considering how much revenue they would lose because there wouldn’t be an incentive to buy more than 1 set of gathering tools, I’m calling it now: the Tool Duplicator, gem store item, 500 gems, one time use only. :P

I think Anet would make much more money from players buying one set that could be given to all their characters at once than the much smaller number of foolish whales who buy every tool they release.

Particularly people with a lot of alts who can’t be bothered to juggle one set of tools between them.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I think you can buy 3 tools for 3000 gems which is about 40 euro…. so you will pay 40 euro get 3 tools for about 13.33 euro/dollar/piece… and have a whopping 200 gems left over to do…. well?? dunno…. with present gold to gems that’s pretty much gold….

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: femalehumanmeta.8351

femalehumanmeta.8351

I have one full set of infinite gathering tools, and considering their cost, the “convenience” they provide is negligible, especially since I frequently play different characters.

Currently, the only way to make my infinite tools a little less inconvenient is by purchasing three shared inventory slots, but the cost becomes absurd. The total cost for the shared slots and the tools would be $61.13, and you still have to constantly move the tools in and out of the shared slots whenever you play a different character.

For that amount of money, I’d expect full convenience, not less inconvenience.

Pifil.5193

I think Anet would make much more money from players buying one set that could be given to all their characters at once than the much smaller number of foolish whales who buy every tool they release.

Particularly people with a lot of alts who can’t be bothered to juggle one set of tools between them.

I think it’s very easy for ArenaNet to decide if this kind of change makes sense for them. First they have to add up all the sets of tools bought by the “foolish whales” and see if that number is greater than the amount of accounts in the game whose owners have bought gems but have never bought a single set of tools.

Then you factor in the amount of refunds they’d have to give those “foolish whales” for the duplicates they bought and see if it makes financial sense to gamble on people who have never bought an infinite tool so far but may buy one if it was an account unlock.

Then you ask if it’s likely that people will actually buy new tool sets as unlocks when they already have a set that works on all their characters. I have 12 characters and five sets, I don’t think I’d ever bother with any infinite tool set in the store again if my current tools became unlocks, but I currently have 1200 gems on my account that I might “foolishly” spend on another watchwork pick.