Personal Story Corrected

Personal Story Corrected

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

We became aware of a problem created when Personal Story steps were reordered last year. When the reordering took place, some players were unable to complete their Personal Story. This sometimes happened if they left the Personal Story either to play Living World Seasons 2 or 3 or to play Heart of Thorns.

For players who were affected by this bug, we developed a correction that was implemented in the build of 13 December. Those who were impacted by the issue received an in-game mail when the correction was made. If your Personal Story progress was previously blocked, you should be able to continue it at your convenience.

If you believed you had completed your Personal Story, but there actually was a gap in completion due to the story reordering, your progress has been reset to your last completed quest step. This is intended to allow every player the opportunity to experience their Personal Story in its entirety.

This fix targets those characters having a gap somewhere in their Chapter 7 and/or 8 story lines only. No other Personal Story, Heart of Thorns, or Living World quests should be affected by this fix. If your progress within these Chapters has been reset and you received the letter from Scholar Aiti about your story, then you had a gap in the Personal Story at some point, even if you were not able to see that you were blocked from resuming your story. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but hope that the opportunity to experience your story at its fullest will help make up for our error.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Personal Story Corrected

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

pretty sure I finished the story on my thief before you guys started messing with the story but she got reset to against the corruption

not really an issue for me since I need more pact weapon unlocks anyway …

Personal Story Corrected

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

pretty sure I finished the story on my thief before you guys started messing with the story but she got reset to against the corruption

not really an issue for me since I need more pact weapon unlocks anyway …

I also had a character that had completed the personal story get reset to Against the Corruption. I had gone in and written down which story steps my characters had done and the character that got reset has the same number of story steps as the other 3 characters had.

Personal Story Corrected

Posted by: Jwake.7013

Jwake.7013

Yeah I finished my personal story to the end on one character so I could feel I completed it. This happened well over a year ago. Now your saying I have to replay it just cause. Sorry, no thank you, and I feel jipped that you choose to reset something I completed because you want me to do it over. I want to play things and do things I wish to do in the game, not have to replay something I don’t want to just to feel like I finished it when I already did almost 2 years ago.

Personal Story Corrected

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Yeah I finished my personal story to the end on one character so I could feel I completed it. This happened well over a year ago. Now your saying I have to replay it just cause. Sorry, no thank you, and I feel jipped that you choose to reset something I completed because you want me to do it over. I want to play things and do things I wish to do in the game, not have to replay something I don’t want to just to feel like I finished it when I already did almost 2 years ago.

I think you misunderstood Gaile’s post.

If you successfully completed your personal story on that character, this update likely did not affect you. Log onto that character and check to see if you have an in-game mail from Scholar Aiti about your personal story. If you do, then you missed a step somewhere along the way. If not, the update did not affect you.

This fix targets those characters having a gap somewhere in their Chapter 7 and/or 8 story lines only. No other Personal Story, Heart of Thorns, or Living World quests should be affected by this fix.

Hope this helps explain things a bit.

Personal Story Corrected

Jwake.7013

If you successfully completed your personal story on that character, this update likely did not affect you. Log onto that character and check to see if you have an in-game mail from Scholar Aiti about your personal story. If you do, then you missed a step somewhere along the way. If not, the update did not affect you.

Nope, did not misunderstand at all, yeah I got the mail and yes it reset me to the start of Victory or Death in the personal story. Not sure how I’d miss a step if I finished the personal story all the way through. I killed the dragon, had the party, saw the credits all the way through and got the rewards. I did this before the PS had any changes or things taken out of it.

Personal Story Corrected

Seera.5916

This fix targets those characters having a gap somewhere in their Chapter 7 and/or 8 story lines only. No other Personal Story, Heart of Thorns, or Living World quests should be affected by this fix.

Actually, it seems there is likely a small portion of us that completed the story after they started shuffling the chapters around that managed to complete all of the steps in the personal story that got sent back to redo from Against the Corruption and on. So 4 story steps back from where we were.

I know I’m one of the affected because I noted down my story steps ages ago so I wouldn’t do one option only and not do another or do one option way more than another. I had done all of the story steps for the Personal Story on my Warrior. All the way through Victory or Death. Before the change to make the final fight not a dungeon.

There are 57 story steps. My very first character, an Elementalist completed the Personal Story well before they changed the Personal Story around so she has no chance of any bugs related to the shuffling of the Personal Story. She completed 57 story steps.

My Warrior as of 12-12-16 had completed 57 story steps per the Personal Story log and my memory. I know I had done the Cathedral of Silence and decided I didn’t like it very much and would prefer to do Romke’s Final Voyage. Of the 4 characters that have gone through the choice of Cathedral of Silence or Romke’s Final Voyage only my Warrior had done Cathedral of Silence. The other 3 include my Elementalist and 2 that had completed the Personal Story after they changed to make Victory or Death not a dungeon.

Something likely got messed up when the resolved the order for those characters that were on the final steps when they first reordered the Personal Story. It’s been too long for me to remember when I completed the Personal Story on my Warrior or when I got through Chapter 7 and the early part of Chapter 8. Support would likely be able to shine more light and I may redo the 4 story steps, or at least Against the Corruption, to see if the rewards pop up again. Like Khisanth, I won’t say no to another Pact Token.

Personal Story Corrected

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

was wondering why I suddenly had personal story to do on my reaper, good to know.

My reaper has already defeated Zhaitan, though, so I’m not sure why he was included in this fix

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Personal Story Corrected

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

But have you raised the ship at Claw Island yet that look like its sinking when sailing away?

Anet dont know to how to boat.

Personal Story Corrected

Posted by: Sorin Noroku.5342

Sorin Noroku.5342

Thing is I know I completed my story on my guardian, was the only character to do this. I completed it back when the final step was also the story path on Arah. Now I got reset back. I REALLY have low motivation to do it again on my dude. This is also why I didn’t do it again on other characters. One of those, did that got the shirt, kinda thing.

Personal Story Corrected

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I may be missing something but if you don’t like the story and refuse to do it on other characters you have why is it a problem now? You got your rare weapon already so what else are you missing? Did they remove the mastery point? If not I really, really am having a difficult time understanding why you would care about this.

Personal Story Corrected

Jwake.7013

I may be missing something but if you don’t like the story and refuse to do it on other characters you have why is it a problem now? You got your rare weapon already so what else are you missing? Did they remove the mastery point? If not I really, really am having a difficult time understanding why you would care about this.

It’s why we care about anything in games really. If you complete something in a game, you want to be able to look back at it and have it say that it is. Not finish a game (story mode) and it says you only did 97%. Even if only the user can see it, I know I did it and I want the game to reflect that said ‘work’ I put into finishing it. Now if you don’t have that mentality that’s fine, but don’t disregard those that do please just cause it’s easier.

Personal Story Corrected

Seera.5916

Because who knows what other effects it may have with those of us effected by this glitch.

Personal Story Corrected

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Something likely got messed up when the resolved the order for those characters that were on the final steps when they first reordered the Personal Story. It’s been too long for me to remember when I completed the Personal Story on my Warrior or when I got through Chapter 7 and the early part of Chapter 8. Support would likely be able to shine more light and I may redo the 4 story steps, or at least Against the Corruption, to see if the rewards pop up again. Like Khisanth, I won’t say no to another Pact Token.

Good News: You do get the rewards
Bad News: Trahearne is still a lobotomized shrub who stops moving if you are more than 2 feet away from him

Edit: Just did Source of Orr. Looks like my thief did somehow skip that since The Artesian Waters areas was not yet uncovered. I don’t think it is possible to do that step without uncovering it. Except maybe if I just stood at the spawn and someone else ran the instance. I did have to afk at the start of that at least once while a friend was doing the rest of that instance but I don’t remember if I made it back before the end.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Personal Story Corrected

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I missed a big chunk of the story, amd ended up on last step. But hay ho, never mind.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Personal Story Corrected

Posted by: Banrigh.5932

Banrigh.5932

We became aware of a problem created when Personal Story steps were reordered last year. When the reordering took place, some players were unable to complete their Personal Story. This sometimes happened if they left the Personal Story either to play Living World Seasons 2 or 3 or to play Heart of Thorns.

For players who were affected by this bug, we developed a correction that was implemented in the build of 13 December. Those who were impacted by the issue received an in-game mail when the correction was made. If your Personal Story progress was previously blocked, you should be able to continue it at your convenience.

If you believed you had completed your Personal Story, but there actually was a gap in completion due to the story reordering, your progress has been reset to your last completed quest step. This is intended to allow every player the opportunity to experience their Personal Story in its entirety.

This fix targets those characters having a gap somewhere in their Chapter 7 and/or 8 story lines only. No other Personal Story, Heart of Thorns, or Living World quests should be affected by this fix. If your progress within these Chapters has been reset and you received the letter from Scholar Aiti about your story, then you had a gap in the Personal Story at some point, even if you were not able to see that you were blocked from resuming your story. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but hope that the opportunity to experience your story at its fullest will help make up for our error.

i finished the personal story on my ranger….. and killed Zhaitan….. and y’all took that away from me….. and i’m really VERY kittening unhappy about that….. how does that get corrected??? i want my kill back!!!! i don’t want to have to kill that PITA dragon again on a character that already did it!!!

IF (and that’s a VERY big if) i did indeed miss something with the reordering, then just make it so that i can do the missed part, don’t take away everything i did after that part!!!!! and no, having to kill Zhaitan AGAIN does definitely NOT make up for it…..

Banrigh
Disa Wyrmhunter – Druid/Ranger
Fort Aspenwood

Personal Story Corrected

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

i finished the personal story on my ranger….. and killed Zhaitan….. and y’all took that away from me….. and i’m really VERY kittening unhappy about that….. how does that get corrected??? i want my kill back!!!! i don’t want to have to kill that PITA dragon again on a character that already did it!!!

IF (and that’s a VERY big if) i did indeed miss something with the reordering, then just make it so that i can do the missed part, don’t take away everything i did after that part!!!!! and no, having to kill Zhaitan AGAIN does definitely NOT make up for it…..

The one upside is that you get to earn black lion keys again, no? (unless story rewards aren’t earned again a second time).

Personal Story Corrected

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

If the game thinks you didn’t complete it the first time around, you should get all the rewards for completion the second time around, I should think.