Personaly, I don't think Dailies are a good idea

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: starwatto.4527

starwatto.4527

Dailies are good, they are not forcing me to log into the game every day, even though I really need Ascended stuff, I can get over the fact, that it will take a little bit longer because I don’t have time to play every day. But there is a good point – it could be good if Laurels would be achievable through different ways than dailies/monthlies.

Casually hardcore since 2012
Aurora Glade
[rddt]

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

Adults don’t need to be told by others how to ration their time.

Adults dont bother complaining about a computer game currency which rewards players for participation. Adults know how to balance their responsibilities. Thus while OP may be (or posing as) an adult, he is still mentally immature.

In that sense yes, adults don’t need to be told what to do. OP does however. So does most players of a computer game who are really teens.

If OP were smarter (and more mature), he would realize there are a lot of restrictions in place in GW2 which limit players who can play 8+ hours a day from gaining a large advantage over casual players, and dailies are one of them.

(edited by Orion the Cursed.1206)

Posted by: Shifty.5187

Shifty.5187

I would hate to rush around trying to accomplish dungeon’s, fractals, dailies etc if I only had less than 45mins to play the game. I now understand the reason to your complaints. I don’t think they are going to be able to fix it for people like you unfortunately.

I naturally don’t do Fractals when I want to only play for about 45 minutes. Instead I’d like to help out a guildie/friend killing some random stuff in a map somewhere. Perhaps do one of the awesome meta events. Or maybe I do some WvWing or PvPing. There are plenty of things for me to do in about 45 minutes in this game, but now I have to waste my time doing the Dailies because otherwise it takes me ages to get this other stuff I also ideally would like to have.

Then there are days I can play for many straight hours (read: weekend), but there is no way to catch up.

Anet has shown a willingness to rethink the assumptions that underlie MMORPGs, why not go the extra mile and get rid of the grinding mindset and allow casual play in the actual sense of the word?

Posted by: Shifty.5187

Shifty.5187

Adults dont bother complaining about a computer game currency which rewards players for participation.

I guess adults also don’t play games?

Being critical of certain game elements doesn’t make you immature. It seems a bit offensive on your part to think otherwise.

Posted by: Selebrity.7469

Selebrity.7469

If I do the daily on an alt but dont open the daily chest, will the daily chest be on the screen when I log in with my main character?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If I do the daily on an alt but dont open the daily chest, will the daily chest be on the screen when I log in with my main character?

I seriously doubt it.

Orion the Cursed.1206

Your words.

Please read the entire post. The problem is complaining without thinking things through. This is a common problems not limited to computer games. Wouldn’t you say that an adult should be more prone to thinking things through compared to the less matured?

If you think Dailies are bad for the game (or players) please explain why. Because i cant log on daily = game sucks = Anet hates casuals? Is that how an adult critiques?

OP is an “adult” trying to compete with kids on a computer game… That is sad

BTW: i dont do fractals as well. (high five) But if you think dailies are a faster way to get things you are mistaken. Laurels are the slowest way, each laurel is worth about 1g (assuming ascended gear cost 30g). Not worth farming.

(edited by Orion the Cursed.1206)

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

IMHO dailies, 1-per-day rewards, DR and time gated content are ALL bad.

Compelling people into specific content because they might “miss out” is a bad,dirty, old trick in mmos

(edited by Aegis.9724)

Orion the Cursed.1206

IMHO dailies, 1-per-day rewards, DR and time gated content are ALL bad.

Compelling people into specific content because they might “miss out” is a bad,dirty, old trick in mmos

Agree, that its bad. But it works on the simple minded. Hahahaha

Posted by: Nenshou Sora.6321

Nenshou Sora.6321

I seldom participate to discussions where people just complain about things.
However, I feel that my opinion is important and the only right one and after I say it, everyone thinks that too (…no even I don’t believe that ).

I am perfectly happy with the way GW2 is. I have a long term goal, which is getting a shiny legendary weapon. Do I spend my days grinding it? No, I do not. My main character is almost completely geared with exotics and I do not have any ascended items. Do I care or do I feel some kind of compulsion to get ascended gear? Again the answer is no and I also don’t feel like I’m behind everyone else just because I do not have ascended gear or full exotics. In fact (now this might shock some people), I’ve used most of my laurels to dyes and crafting materials!

I don’t have a need to do dailies every single day, and when I do them, I just play normally. I don’t do them separately from my normal gaming, they just tend to get done. Sometimes they do guide me when I can’t decide where to go next.

Guild Wars isn’t the first MMO that I’ve played. I’ve also played Lord of the Rings Online and World of Warcraft where I stayed way too long. Finally it seems that I’ve adapted the casual mindset and got rid of the semi-hc attitude I had in WoW when I was raiding. For those who complain how dailies and haven’t tried the latest WoW expansion: trust me, things could be far worse (A lot of “pre-raid” epics which those like me grinded to perform better in raids were gated behind N+1 reputation factions which meant dailies, dailies and more dailies. Also, Blizzard’s idea of “more to do in endgame” seemed to be… surprise surprise… DAILIES!)

So I’m happy with GW2. I play alot but I do not feel like I’m forced to play, it feels casual and relaxing. I want to do achievements, but not because my selfesteem depends on achievements points, but because I just want to do the achievement itself. And gear itself… well… for me gear isn’t everything. Exotics are easy to get and the rest is just knowing how to play (and no… I’m not the best out there). Gear does not mean skill. If I want new gear, I want it because it looks good but nevertheless I don’t actively grind for it. I get it when I get it, sooner or later.

While this post is all “me me me”, try to put yourself into my position (which means take a deep breath, relax, play casually and enjoy of the view).

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I think I came to the realization that if I need dailies in order to give me something to do…I should probably just go do something else. If I’m not playing the game other than dailies, then there really is no point to even doing the dailies.

I’d rather do my own thing, instead of someone else’s list. And if I can’t find anything to do other than complete that list, it’s time for a new recreational activity.

Push For Cheese. O

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I haven’t played a daily in a week. Who cares about laurels? Unless you’re playing fractals you can get by without them. You don’t have to do anything. Get laurels when you feel like it or have the chance. It will make that purchase all the better to you once you save enough for the widget you want.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Dailies are horrible. In every game. The fastest way to make a game go from fun to a job…is adding dailies. And if you add a daily that rewards a currency type that is attainable in no other way…it’s just plain kitten poor design.

Anything that forces players to feel like the MUST log in DAILY or fall behind on their quest for whatever they want is terrible. When I get home from a long day at work, finish dinner, put the kid to bed, and feel like kicking back and watching a little TV or reading a book before bed…but suddenly remember “Oh Crap, I have to log in and get my daily for that stupid Laurel”…I get overcome with a desire to punch someone. Well, ok, not overcome :-)…but seriously, who thinks this is a reasonable way to treat the player base?

I’m sorry…that came out more rant-like than I intended…but the whole idea of dailies just makes me angry.

Give 30 laurels or 40 laurels or whatever you want for the monthly and just give gold and exp and karma for the stupid dailies already. Or 7 for weeklies that can be finished in a single play session.

Dailies. Are. Poor. Design.

/rant off

I agree. It is/was a great way to get people back into the world. But adding a new type of currency, like you said, that is only obtainable through dailies is just plain dumb. I felt the NEED to log in and complete my dailies. It was a job. A chore. Not fun.

I havent played GW2 since end of Feb/early March because I didnt like the insane grinds in the game and because I felt like it was becoming a chore.

Suggestion:
Remove laurels.
Remove commendations
Remove merits.
Allow the items that would be purchased through these means be purchased through karma.
Come up with a conversion rate for each item(laurels, merits, commendations) of item to karma and be done with it. Save your game.

I really wonder what happened to that “play how you want to play” BS they fed us. If I only want to go to frostgorge and farm scales, I wont be completing my daily now will I? I might get two or three parts of it done. Sure you can say “well just go finish up the other two parts real quickly, its easy stop complaining”. That defeats the purpose of “play how you want to play”.

See what I’m saying Anet?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Vayne.8563

Dailies are horrible. In every game. The fastest way to make a game go from fun to a job…is adding dailies. And if you add a daily that rewards a currency type that is attainable in no other way…it’s just plain kitten poor design.

Anything that forces players to feel like the MUST log in DAILY or fall behind on their quest for whatever they want is terrible. When I get home from a long day at work, finish dinner, put the kid to bed, and feel like kicking back and watching a little TV or reading a book before bed…but suddenly remember “Oh Crap, I have to log in and get my daily for that stupid Laurel”…I get overcome with a desire to punch someone. Well, ok, not overcome :-)…but seriously, who thinks this is a reasonable way to treat the player base?

I’m sorry…that came out more rant-like than I intended…but the whole idea of dailies just makes me angry.

Give 30 laurels or 40 laurels or whatever you want for the monthly and just give gold and exp and karma for the stupid dailies already. Or 7 for weeklies that can be finished in a single play session.

/rant off

I agree. It is/was a great way to get people back into the world. But adding a new type of currency, like you said, that is only obtainable through dailies is just plain dumb. I felt the NEED to log in and complete my dailies. It was a job. A chore. Not fun.

I havent played GW2 since end of Feb/early March because I didnt like the insane grinds in the game and because I felt like it was becoming a chore.

Suggestion:
Remove laurels.
Remove commendations
Remove merits.
Allow the items that would be purchased through these means be purchased through karma.
Come up with a conversion rate for each item(laurels, merits, commendations) of item to karma and be done with it. Save your game.

I really wonder what happened to that “play how you want to play” BS they fed us. If I only want to go to frostgorge and farm scales, I wont be completing my daily now will I? I might get two or three parts of it done. Sure you can say “well just go finish up the other two parts real quickly, its easy stop complaining”. That defeats the purpose of “play how you want to play”.

But you can still play how you want. There’s nothing really stopping you from staying in one place and doing what you want. That’s the misnomer here.

I play how I want. I do what I want. If I want to do the daily, I do it. Most of the time it gets done whether I want to or not anyway.

It’s just not that big a deal. Not the deal people make it. Everyone can play how they want but the makers of the game are not required to reward everyone equally for how they want to play.

Suppose I wanted to stand around in LA and just chat with people. I’m still logged in and still playing the game. Should I be rewarded for that?

Saying you can play how you want doesn’t mean you automatically get the same rewards as someone who plays differently. Logically a more efficient player will get more and better rewards than a less efficient player.

I’m a less efficient player. But I still play how I want.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Adults dont bother complaining about a computer game currency which rewards players for participation.

Being critical of certain game elements doesn’t make you immature. It seems a bit offensive on your part to think otherwise.

Are you deliberately misinterpreting him or did you just not understand him because his point is pretty clear.

Adults don’t cry over losing pixels. People who complain about missing a daily are either physically or mentally immature.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

People talking about grind in GW2 probably never played any other MMO. ANet never said there would be no grind at all – just that it wouldn’t be required. There are still things to do for 24/7 players, like it or not, they exist.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

i dont dislike dailies. however, i hate that you get laurels from them.
i agree its the point in common for pvp/pve/wvw players but they are really, really boring.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

/rant off

Suggestion:
Remove laurels.
Remove commendations
Remove merits.

But you can still play how you want. There’s nothing really stopping you from staying in one place and doing what you want. That’s the misnomer here.

I play how I want. I do what I want. If I want to do the daily, I do it. Most of the time it gets done whether I want to or not anyway.

It’s just not that big a deal. Not the deal people make it. Everyone can play how they want but the makers of the game are not required to reward everyone equally for how they want to play.

Suppose I wanted to stand around in LA and just chat with people. I’m still logged in and still playing the game. Should I be rewarded for that?

Saying you can play how you want doesn’t mean you automatically get the same rewards as someone who plays differently. Logically a more efficient player will get more and better rewards than a less efficient player.

I’m a less efficient player. But I still play how I want.

Kudos to you for being able to do what you want and not be tempted by the..carrot.

Im one of those people where if you dangle candy in my face, I want it and need to have it. Otherwise, Im good without it. If you offer me a beer, I want it. Otherwise, Im good without it.

If you offer me daily rewards, I want them. Otherwise Im good without them. This game has too many rewards and currencies. They really need to shrink down the number of currencies in game. If dailys rewarded Karma, and karma was used for a wider variety of things, Id be content.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

the correlation between “need” and “want” for me. If I “want” something, than I “need” it to be satisfied. Maybe this is inherently wrong, but it’s also the world we live in and my way of success.

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

No. I tried this. Chest is only for the character that actually completed the daily.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Dailies have become boring and stale now.

Just the same old rubbish, just the same old drag doing them.

Lets have some proper game “content” not just druggery.

No wonder nobody on my friends list logs in anymore.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

There are countless reasons not to login anymore, most of which aren’t ANet’s faults. The existance of dailies surely isn’t one.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Benjamin.6235

Benjamin.6235

There are countless reasons not to login anymore, most of which aren’t ANet’s faults. The existance of dailies surely isn’t one.

If that’s what you think, you haven’t been reading this thread. I mean come on .. one of the biggest arguments for their implementation here is “but it could be worse.” Doesn’t mean they are fun. Doesn’t mean they don’t create a game that would take me years, not months, but years to get my toons amulets. Dailies giving a time gated reward like laurels is an awful design. Consider that some people don’t want to put up with awfully designed games. These mechanics being anet’s idea of new content? It’s a pretty decent reason to not login anymore.

You realize that if dailies just gave some xp or karma, people wouldn’t be complaining, right?

[DERP] – Maguuma

Vayne.8563

If that’s what you think, you haven’t been reading this thread. I mean come on .. one of the biggest arguments for their implementation here is “but it could be worse.” Doesn’t mean they are fun. Doesn’t mean they don’t create a game that would take me years, not months, but years to get my toons amulets. Dailies giving a time gated reward like laurels is an awful design. Consider that some people don’t want to put up with awfully designed games. These mechanics being anet’s idea of new content? It’s a pretty decent reason to not login anymore.

You realize that if dailies just gave some xp or karma, people wouldn’t be complaining, right?

Just because some people post something in a thread, doesn’t mean the majority of the playerbase shares the sentiment. I’m and altoholic too, and I just don’t care. It’s that simple.

I’ve gotten 3 ascended amulets for three of my characters so far. I probably won’t get any more. I just don’t feel like I need them. To be honest, I can’t see much of a difference having them and not having them.

And if you do fractals, and get up to level 10, you’ll have enough rings for every character you’ll ever create in a couple of months.

But again, no content is gated by having an ascended amulet. That’s what at least half the people in this thread are saying. So no, I don’t see this as Anet’s fault. You say it’s bad design. Some of us disagree.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Just gonna throw in my 2 cents here:

Dailies are just a way of gating content and being lazy on the production of new things to do for your players. It always has been, since they were introduced, and probably always will be. I have been saying for years dailies are filler content of the worst order, and it’s nice people are starting to realize just how bad of an excuse for “content” a daily quest really is. Dailies make any game feel like a grind really fast, and it’s what has made me quit many games including WoW and Rift most recently.

Just say no to gated content that feels like a job please!

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I agree with the original poster. Dailies are treadmill content. They break all the lore and storyline found within the game world. Players do not complete them by doing activities they do in regular play. They are chores. They prevent players logging on and playing the way they want to play. For many players the dailies do not offer alternative advancement since the alternatives are not accessible, such as guild mission rewards for people who aren’t in large guilds.

Posted by: ivan.3571

ivan.3571

/rant off

ascended items can be looted in fractals lvl 10 and above O__O

Note as long as they didnt put something like this

" Finish your daily or get permanent ban"

then i don’t think there’s a problem with it

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: soulwblood.1529

soulwblood.1529

Consider this: For players that don’t know what to do/Don’t have a fixed objective that time. The dailies are a good way to pass the time in a game they want. If you don’t want to do the dailies, don’t :p

(edited by soulwblood.1529)

Aeonblade.8709

Consider this: For players that don’t know what to do/Don’t have a fixed objective that time. The dailies are a good way to pass the time in a game they want. If you don’t want to do the dailies, don’t :p

Then remove laurels from daily quests, as laurels are pretty much required if you are serious about WvW, which is kind of backwards to start with, why do I need laurels from PvE content for WvW anyway? Where is my WvW ascended gear merchant? Questions upon questions.

Posted by: Fathme.5216

Fathme.5216

/rant off

I agree OP dailies in any game are a bad idea, the concept remains the same for all of them. Personally I don’t mind them as much here than in others, but that does not mean that there isn’t room for improvement. I truly believe that a weekly achievement versus a daily wouldn’t hurt anyone, but it also would make life hell of a lot easier to manage around for people who prefer not to log on some days. After all, games should be, and are being focused around the casual player in todays industry…

Also as I stated I dont think a weekly would hurt the hardcore player either, they can still do there’s all in one day or one at a time…

Posted by: Zosk.5609

Zosk.5609

If you talk about needing vs wanting to do them, congrats on just wasting your breath. Pro-tip: You don’t need to do anything in this game.

The question is, does this encourage community and players to have fun. Answer is no….current daily system discourages people from doing WvW, dungeons and events if they have a limited time..because they can’t stack the daily most days with what you want to do.

And fun? No, tracking down bunnies to kill or wasting money on 25 food items or porting around is, at best, “fun the first time”.

They could make the daily system so much better but frankly, a weekly would have a much better chance of being fun for everybody (just like the Monthly, although a little easy last few months, is more interesting).

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

They could just inspire themselves with other games daily, like that nice game called Guild Wars 1 I think. Not sure who made it but it had some awesome implementation for dailies.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

The question is, does this encourage community and players to have fun. Answer is no….current daily system discourages people from doing WvW, dungeons and events if they have a limited time..because they can’t stack the daily most days with what you want to do.

And fun? No, tracking down bunnies to kill or wasting money on 25 food items or porting around is, at best, “fun the first time”.

That is really not true. You can often get a couple of dailies done by normal play, such as dungeons. (Here is a list of all the dailies that are done by playing through a dungeon or two: Daily Dungeon, Daily Kills, Daily Kill Variety, Daily Reviver, Daily Recycler, Daily Condition Remover, Daily Interrupter). Then you also have things like Daily Aquatic Slayer which can be done in some areas (such as underwater fractals).

Also, I know some people who seem to have a lot of fun tracking down and killing the bunnies. Weird right? I know for me personally, I often kill ambient creatures as I am running around anyway. This can easily be partially completed in some dungeons too.

Benjamin.6235

But again, no content is gated by having an ascended amulet. That’s what at least half the people in this thread are saying. So no, I don’t see this as Anet’s fault. You say it’s bad design. Some of us disagree.

Now this I agree with. I’d prefer that ascended amulet and accessories weren’t time gated. I resent how long it takes to get these items if I don’t log in every day. That doesn’t mean I, and others that feel somewhat like I do, have a psych problem.

It seems like there’d be a possible compromise between the two attitudes in this thread if anet didn’t connect something as valuable as laurels to daily quests. Looking at it as a compromise between WoW and GW2 doesn’t seem right. Seems more important to make a compromise between GW1 and GW2. No matter which side people are on as far as enjoying daily quests, I wish the debate could be centered closer to that. I think such a change could make a lot more people happy in total than the current system does.

[DERP] – Maguuma

Posted by: Pukknub.7368

Pukknub.7368

You don’t really have to do the daily every day.
Just as you don’t have to do fractal daily every day, run dungeons every day etc.

Pukknub
Proud member of Velocity [VcY]

Jemmi.6058

You don’t really have to do the daily every day.
Just as you don’t have to do fractal daily every day, run dungeons every day etc.

But we have to read the forum everyday!

Vayne.8563

Now this I agree with. I’d prefer that ascended amulet and accessories weren’t time gated. I resent how long it takes to get these items if I don’t log in every day. That doesn’t mean I, and others that feel somewhat like I do, have a psych problem.

It seems like there’d be a possible compromise between the two attitudes in this thread if anet didn’t connect something as valuable as laurels to daily quests. Looking at it as a compromise between WoW and GW2 doesn’t seem right. Seems more important to make a compromise between GW1 and GW2. No matter which side people are on as far as enjoying daily quests, I wish the debate could be centered closer to that. I think such a change could make a lot more people happy in total than the current system does.

By the same token, giving people who don’t really have a lot of time to play the ability to have something like a couple of pieces of ascended gear shouldn’t be the end of the world. Does it matter, in the life of an MMO, if you get something like that in 30 days or 45?

Posted by: Zaviel.1245

Zaviel.1245

Dailies take me at most 15 minutes. If you are to busy for that then you really don’t have time to play anyway… In no way, shape, or form are you ‘forced’ to do dailies. Ascended Amulets have been out for over 2 months, the monthlies alone would be enough to have afforded one by now. Rings can be gotten in fractals, and Accessories from being a good guildie.

I like dailies as they give me something to do while waiting for my friends to get online, rage less and realize that guild wars is a GAME. Even when I know I won’t have much time to play in a day, I can still do my daily and feel good about myself for not missing out.

Benjamin.6235

By the same token, giving people who don’t really have a lot of time to play the ability to have something like a couple of pieces of ascended gear shouldn’t be the end of the world. Does it matter, in the life of an MMO, if you get something like that in 30 days or 45?

It’s not 30 or 45. It’s more like 30 or 75.

[DERP] – Maguuma

Vayne.8563

It’s not 30 or 45. It’s more like 30 or 75.

Okay, so let’s say it’s 75 days before you can get an ascended amulet. It still doesn’t change the game significantly. It really doesn’t. That’s assuming you’ve never done a monthly either. because ten dailies and two monthlies gives you the same number of laurels. But let’s say you have to wait a full 75 days to get an ascended amulet.

Because content isn’t gated in this game, you’re still doing exactly the same stuff you’d do if you got it.

Posted by: Sardonia.8196

Sardonia.8196

Simple solution would be to make the acsended gear available through other currencies, other than laurels. i.e. Karma, crafting, WvW badges. Than everyone would be able to use the method they prepfer. It is really that simple. You should not have to redesign the wheel by making additional currencies.

Vayne.8563

Simple solution would be to make the acsended gear available through other currencies, other than laurels. i.e. Karma, crafting, WvW badges. Than everyone would be able to use the method they prepfer. It is really that simple. You should not have to redesign the wheel by making additional currencies.

The reason why they didn’t make ascended gear available through other currencies is that newer players would be at a larger disadvantage than players who have a pool of karma. That’s the industry standard reason for introducing new currencies as a rule.

I’ve been playing since day 1. I have a LOT of karma. I could have decked out every single one of my characters in ascended gear, even if it was expensive as hell. But a guy playing a month, he now would have to play catch up. He’d look at it and feel he might never catch up. By making it so anyone can get an ascended amulet in 30 days if that’s what they want, they’re actually make it fairer, not less fair.

Jemmi.6058

Ascended gear is available through other currencies: Pristine Fractal Relics and Guild Commendations

Aeonblade.8709

The reason why they didn’t make ascended gear available through other currencies is that newer players would be at a larger disadvantage than players who have a pool of karma. That’s the industry standard reason for introducing new currencies as a rule.

I’ve been playing since day 1. I have a LOT of karma. I could have decked out every single one of my characters in ascended gear, even if it was expensive as hell. But a guy playing a month, he now would have to play catch up. He’d look at it and feel he might never catch up. By making it so anyone can get an ascended amulet in 30 days if that’s what they want, they’re actually make it fairer, not less fair.

That’s why he has laurels, WvW, etc. If you give 4 or 5 ways to attain the gear, there really is nothing to complain about. A new player can just pick the path they prefer or the path of least resistance.

Posted by: Lazmira.5408

Lazmira.5408

Wow wow wow wait a minute OP.. I barely get to play this game in general and you’re kittening that you can’t get what you want because you also can’t play as much? Grow up. I don’t get laurels that well either but i don’t kitten about it. That’s the point of a game. To have fun and work on things.. Not spoon feed you.

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

If you talk about needing vs wanting to do them, congrats on just wasting your breath. Pro-tip: You don’t need to do anything in this game.

They could make the daily system so much better but frankly, a weekly would have a much better chance of being fun for everybody (just like the Monthly, although a little easy last few months, is more interesting).

It doesn’t discourage playing in WvW, dungeons or events. If you look at the list, you would often see several choices relating to fractals, dungeons, events and such. They may not all be on the list at once but it doesn’t discourage any kind of play.

You also don’t have to eat 25 food items. You can do one of the other options instead.

You also don’t have to do them.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

(edited by CreativeAnarchy.6324)

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

If the ONLY way you have fun is getting BIS gear on EVERY toon, and that’s it….then MMOs generally might not be for you, since in most games, getting BIS gear is far far more time consuming than in this one.

Anyway, why is it that you have to have every single toon in BIS gear this year? What’s the rush? What will happen if you don’t?

How do you know that there won’t be ten other ways to get BIS gear long before the year is up?

Because you have a very very specific playstyle, everyone should be punished? Nice.

Why do people always associate eternal grinding as a pre-requisite for MMOs? It is MMO (massive multiplayer online), not MGO (massive grinding online). This one game that was advertised as not being the same old eternal search for better stats – and had a pretty good release on that respect -, and what do people ask for? Gear grinding. And now we have this game becoming more and more alt unfriendly and build diversity unfriendly alongside an evergroing search for bonusses / stats. This is the mentality that is ruining this game.

I dont want to sound harsh, but its been repeated over and over on this forum how adding gear grinding is no addition of real content. Its just a cheap lame way to put players always on a search for something that dont make his gaming experience any better. Here is a list of real content that could / should be added:

- New areas. Southsun Cove as a nice addition. Is a good-looking area, karkas are cool (they are probably the most difficult non-boss open world mob in the game). The only real problem is that there are far few events to do there.

- New events (and remodel some of the events, especially those world events that are zerged and end up in less than 10 seconds)

- New dungeons.

- New professions & races.

- New weapons / skills.

- New activities (like Polymock Keg Brawl, and those regular contents that have been released each month – Living Story, Halloween, Wintersday, SAB)

- New PvP modes. Custom arenas are a need for a game that wants to be an e-sport.

And so on.

All those things add to the diversity of content the game can offer its players, making it a funnier long-lasting experience. Which is the exact opposite of what gear grinding provides. The longer it takes to level and gear a character, the less inclined people will feel to level alts or try different builds, which greatly reduces the diversity and enjoyment of the game.

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

Now to answer your questions:

“Anyway, why is it that you have to have every single toon in BIS gear this year? What’s the rush? What will happen if you don’t?”

In any multiplayer game, players want to be able to experience the full content of the game on par with the rest of the players. Its just not funny at all to die (on a dungeon or on WvW or whatever) not because you were bad, but because you were underpowered.

Like I said before, with gear grinding players will see themselves on a dilemma between a) levelling their “main” so they can at least have one character on par with the rest of the people, or b) levelling many “alts”, all of them underpowered.

On that regard, GW1 is a very good example of game that stimulates the diversity of both characters and builds. Levelling and gearing was pretty fast, which leads players to having many different characters and builds (since you need a gear that goes along with your build – many people had one gear set for PvE, another for PvP, etc). And that was a good thing. It provided players a diversity of content so they could choose what they wanted to do. You could login to the game and say “Ok, now I wanna do FoW with my Warrior” or “Today I feel like playing TA with my Mesmer” or “I guess Im going do a Vanquish with my SoS Rit”.

“How do you know that there won’t be ten other ways to get BIS gear long before the year is up?”

Well, we dont. They´ve sad they are working on more ways to acquire the gear, we will just have to wait and see. But anyway, this is irrelevant to the “gear grinding X no gear grinding” discussion. They could make them acquirable via karma, its a currency that rewards players for basically anything on the game. Still, it would be an addition of new tiers that players will feel compelled to acquire to be on par with the rest of the players and that doesnt make the game any better.

“Because you have a very very specific playstyle, everyone should be punished? Nice.”

The question you should ask yourself is: How exactly are you being punished for that? In which way having an Ascended gear made your time on the game any better? Did killing mobs on Ascended gear got funnier? I just cant see how having a “+5 Power + 5 Vitality” bonus can change for better your experience. You are doing exactly the same stuff you were doing before, the same way you were doing it before, but now you just had to grind for gear a “little” bit more.

I see many people talking about how players who want to achieve the BiS gear are playing the game for the wrong reasons… kitten thats exactly what I would say to people who like this gear grindind: “If you need an statistical advantage as a motive to play the game content, and not simply because you like it, you are playing the game for the wrong reasons”.

Vayne.8563

If the ONLY way you have fun is getting BIS gear on EVERY toon, and that’s it….then MMOs generally might not be for you, since in most games, getting BIS gear is far far more time consuming than in this one.

Anyway, why is it that you have to have every single toon in BIS gear this year? What’s the rush? What will happen if you don’t?

How do you know that there won’t be ten other ways to get BIS gear long before the year is up?

Because you have a very very specific playstyle, everyone should be punished? Nice.

Why do people always associate eternal grinding as a pre-requisite for MMOs? It is MMO (massive multiplayer online), not MGO (massive grinding online). This one game that was advertised as not being the same old eternal search for better stats – and had a pretty good release on that respect -, and what do people ask for? Gear grinding. And now we have this game becoming more and more alt unfriendly and build diversity unfriendly alongside an evergroing search for bonusses / stats. This is the mentality that is ruining this game.

I dont want to sound harsh, but its been repeated over and over on this forum how adding gear grinding is no addition of real content. Its just a cheap lame way to put players always on a search for something that dont make his gaming experience any better. Here is a list of real content that could / should be added:

- New areas. Southsun Cove as a nice addition. Is a good-looking area, karkas are cool (they are probably the most difficult non-boss open world mob in the game). The only real problem is that there are far few events to do there.

- New events (and remodel some of the events, especially those world events that are zerged and end up in less than 10 seconds)

- New dungeons.

- New professions & races.

- New weapons / skills.

- New activities (like Polymock Keg Brawl, and those regular contents that have been released each month – Living Story, Halloween, Wintersday, SAB)

- New PvP modes. Custom arenas are a need for a game that wants to be an e-sport.

And so on.

All those things add to the diversity of content the game can offer its players, making it a funnier long-lasting experience. Which is the exact opposite of what gear grinding provides. The longer it takes to level and gear a character, the less inclined people will feel to level alts or try different builds, which greatly reduces the diversity and enjoyment of the game.

I agree with everything you’ve said. Unfortunately, all those content types take time, a lot more time than Anet could have spent getting them out. They had to stop people from leaving, they did what they had to.

If you’d had that much money invested, and that much time, you might well have done the same thing.

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

You could login to the game and say “Ok, now I wanna do FoW with my Warrior” or “Today I feel like playing TA with my Mesmer” or “I guess Im going do a Vanquish with my SoS Rit”.

That is perfect logic, and I agree with you. But as you said yourself on the previous post, people need things to do. I have heard this many times already and I am a fairly young player (since January 2013).

Me: LFM Arah P2 / P3
Me: No one?
Someone: What is the point?
Me: ??? To get the tokens? Or help me get them?
Someone: Why don’t you just craft an exotic armor and use your time to get precursors?

Obviously, that is not everybody. But the fact that the game can give you anything you want quite easily and fastly does not motivate other people for enjoying the content. Unfortunately that is a mentality that ANet can’t avoid, not even with Manifestos. So between keeping their word and looking at the numbers of players that quit playing with the excuse they are bored because they have nothing to do, they choose the latter. Like every company that cares for their existence, they HAVE TO choose the side of the money.