Platforming double standards

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

So tell me, when is ArenaNet going to make it so that players can knock off creatures in PvE from platforms and such? It’s really quite unfair that a player can be knocked off a high platform by creatures to their deaths, but players can’t knock them off in return. I just don’t understand the logic behind this double standard.

Before anyone says “It’s so you cant knock off champions and avoid them”, that’s what Unshakeable is for. Most boss encounters don’t have the opportunity to be knocked off. Even with the few that you could potentially knock off a platform, all you have to do is make it so that they automatically reset if they are knocked off to discourage such ‘cheat’ tactics.

My concern isn’t for the champions, it’s for the trash mobs like krait that throw a spear at you and send you flying pretty far back. I was scaling a krait tower, fighting my way up (not just running through) and as I was fighting one, another flanked me and knocked me off the high platform, killing me instantly. This sort of thing is why people try to just run past everything in the first place. There is an abundance of creatures that can send players flying around like lifeless rag dolls, often times to instant death situations like the one I stated earlier. I’m okay with champions and legendaries not being able to be knocked off, but the trash mobs should definitely be subject to the same physics that we do. You guys already have limits on AoE damage and effects (which I also think is bad, but that’s for another discussion), why surround all PvE creatures with invisible walls that only the player can fall through?

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

You’re going to want to learn how to use this.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stability

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Basically it’s because it would trivialize many of the encounters in the game.

Posted by: Khalith.2987

Khalith.2987

+1 to the OP.

Definitely agree with you.

Stability would be nice if it came off CD as rapidly as some monsters use their knockbacks but if we can get knocked off platforms we should be able to do the same to monsters as well and inflict fall damage to them. Swtor allowed you to do stuff like that if you had a push move of some kind, one of the better mechanics of the game.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I also agree with the OP.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Being able to push off an entire group of monsters with illusionary wave would indeed be amazing. And for those who thinks this would somehow trivialize all the content keep in mind that just about all bosses come with unshakable so this would only work against trash which melts away in a single use of a hundred blades anyhow. I don’t see what’s so wrong about rewarding players for using their surroundings instead of just mindlessly piling on the damage.

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

While we’re at it, they may as well let us stunlock mobs.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

So tell me, when is ArenaNet going to make it so that players can knock off creatures in PvE from platforms and such? It’s really quite unfair that a player can be knocked off a high platform by creatures to their deaths, but players can’t knock them off in return. I just don’t understand the logic behind this double standard.

Before anyone says “It’s so you cant knock off champions and avoid them”, that’s what Unshakeable is for. Most boss encounters don’t have the opportunity to be knocked off. Even with the few that you could potentially knock off a platform, all you have to do is make it so that they automatically reset if they are knocked off to discourage such ‘cheat’ tactics.

My concern isn’t for the champions, it’s for the trash mobs like krait that throw a spear at you and send you flying pretty far back. I was scaling a krait tower, fighting my way up (not just running through) and as I was fighting one, another flanked me and knocked me off the high platform, killing me instantly. This sort of thing is why people try to just run past everything in the first place. There is an abundance of creatures that can send players flying around like lifeless rag dolls, often times to instant death situations like the one I stated earlier. I’m okay with champions and legendaries not being able to be knocked off, but the trash mobs should definitely be subject to the same physics that we do. You guys already have limits on AoE damage and effects (which I also think is bad, but that’s for another discussion), why surround all PvE creatures with invisible walls that only the player can fall through?

I have mentioned this on several occassions and have quit doing so because they obviously don’t care about real balance in game-play.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Yes they should because many can stun-block us.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I also think it will never be done because it could easily be a good way for trolls to troll people.

“oh look someone fighting something near an edge of a cliff, hahahaahhahaha time to run up their and knock the monster off the cliff so that guy has to go all the way down to get his loot or finish it off!”

Won’t happen imo.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I also think it will never be done because it could easily be a good way for trolls to troll people.

“oh look someone fighting something near an edge of a cliff, hahahaahhahaha time to run up their and knock the monster off the cliff so that guy has to go all the way down to get his loot or finish it off!”

Won’t happen imo.

or just break events all over the place by knocking 1 mob into places they can’t get out off.

There wouldn’t be a ‘go all the way down to get his loot or finish it off!’ either. Once knocked off it would trigger the leashing code and something like a champion would be unkillable at that point.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Vista in Timberline falls. On narrow little planks, you can’t dodge. CD on stability does not keep up with mob density or respawn, you have to keep moving up. So, annoying little trash mobs gleefully smack you down to your death and you cannot begin to do the same to them.

Bosses, fine, they shouldn’t be knocked off. Trash? yes.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Oh yes Vayne, people HATE trivialized encounters in this game. I’m pretty sure the level 80 Queensdale champ Zerg is all about the “challenge”

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Vayne.8563

Oh yes Vayne, people HATE trivialized encounters in this game. I’m pretty sure the level 80 Queensdale champ Zerg is all about the “challenge”

A percentage of people don’t hate trivialized encounters…and percentage of people do. I’m not sure anyone can tell which percentage is bigger.

I’m sure that there are people that play this game that want everything handed to them on a silver platter and I’m sure there are people who play this game who want to actually to challenge themselves and win stuff through skill.

And those groups both have valid points.

In my opinion, however, the Queensdale champ train is too much loot for too little effort.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

I’d be down for this, but not without an overhaul to enemy AI. How many mobs do you see that willingly take 100blades to the face? I feel that that’s more of a pressing concern.

Posted by: Mojo.7986

Mojo.7986

I don’t think it has anything to do with fairness. They don’t go off the path finding data. If the surface cannot be traversed, there likely isn’t any data there. What happens when it comes to rest on a ledge on the side of a cliff? Something a player could get out of by jumping? Now you have to teach the AI to jump. Now you need path finding data everywhere. There isn’t much value in pursuing it and then there is having to deal with the nightmare of an engineer blowing 30 mobs off a mountain at the same time. I think they chose wisely.

Zera Allimatti.2541

You already can, with the use of certain items. And i"m not talking trash mobs, I’m talking about legendary boss fights.

Zera Allimatti.2541

You’re going to want to learn how to use this.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stability

Stability is useful, obviously. The issue is that it usually has quite the long cooldown, and many foes will toss you around before your cooldown is over, This lets you avoid one, MAYBE two, knockdown/luanch/stun/daze/fear effects from a foe that uses several of these. And that’s the foes you see coming, you can’t be forgetting that sometimes foes randomly spawn right on top of you or sometimes even respawn almost immediately. Let’s see your 5 second stability save you from that while you teeter on the edge of a narrow path that happens to be just high enough to kill you instantly from falling damage.

Besides, are you really going to sit here and tell me you’re against the idea of knocking your foes off an edge? Where is your sense of mischievous fun? How many times have you used a skill like Stomp or some other knock back skill and lament at the fact that your foe hit an invisible wall and went nowhere? Wasn’t that such a buzz kill? It’s like blue balls.

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

I’m not used to not being able to send trash flying. Most games I’ve played it’s usually the norm.

My favorite thing in WvW is kbing or fearing people off of cliffs to their death. I also like jumping off of high places with my necro, just to see my opponent(s) doing the same, then trolling with spectral walk.

Not sure how “game breaking” being able to kill trash from heights would be. I think I’ve killed myself on my rifle Eng on accident before, luckily Disabling shot on thieves doesn’t send you flying. Half my deaths would be from that.

(edited by Tamaki Revolution.3548)

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

I’d be down for this, but not without an overhaul to enemy AI. How many mobs do you see that willingly take 100blades to the face? I feel that that’s more of a pressing concern.

Make mobs dodge too. lol

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

It’s probably due to technical constraints. I can imagine e there might be a huge problem with the pathing (ie, it can’t find it’s way back up) if we can knock mobs anywhere.

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

Make mobs dodge too. lol

There are plenty of mobs that dodges, most of the flying ones, oozes and many others.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

^ but I feel that they just randomly dodge instead of reacting to the skills you are using.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

back in guild wars 1, we have monster rezzing their dead ally, but in GW2 we don’t have that.

will we see such feature in the future ?

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

back in guild wars 1, we have monster rezzing their dead ally, but in GW2 we don’t have that.

They have it in the recent update, well from the downstate.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Trash mobs are supposed to be trivial. I don’t see your point .-.

Also, getting knocked off a beam isn’t exactly challenging. It’s just frustrating to deal with.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Make mobs dodge too. lol

There are plenty of mobs that dodges, most of the flying ones, oozes and many others.

I mean, dodge like what we do.

Sample: Inc hundred blades? Dodge. Normal attack? Don’t dodge.

I should have worded it like “Improve mob dodge ai”. Sorry

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Ah, those were the days…

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

They have it in the recent update, well from the downstate.

yeah, that could be the start…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

when is ArenaNet going to make it so that players can knock off creatures in PvE from platforms and such?

I would think around the same time when they give mobs the ability to jump on and off things, so they can follow you when you jump off a cliff or onto a platform.

:P

Players are already at a massive advantage.

Zera Allimatti.2541

It’s probably due to technical constraints. I can imagine e there might be a huge problem with the pathing (ie, it can’t find it’s way back up) if we can knock mobs anywhere.

It can’t be technical restraints. You can do it to other players all day without restriction (unless they have stability, obviously). But trash mobs have safeguards against being knocked around too much. Some foes even instantly teleport right back in your face after you have knocked them back. Sometimes knockback skills don’t actually knock a foe back and simply knock them down.

Zera Allimatti.2541

when is ArenaNet going to make it so that players can knock off creatures in PvE from platforms and such?

I would think around the same time when they give mobs the ability to jump on and off things, so they can follow you when you jump off a cliff or onto a platform.

:P

Players are already at a massive advantage.

I’m all for that! It would make fights more dynamic. Bring it on! Just let me knock foes around like ragdolls more appropriately.

Vayne.8563

Also, getting knocked off a beam isn’t exactly challenging. It’s just frustrating to deal with.

You know, in the five years I played Guild Wars 1, I think I heard the term trash mob maybe once.

When any mob can drop a precusor, no mob is actually a trash mob, and therefore no mob is actually trivial. That’s also part of why downleveling exists.

It just feels too much like an exploit in too many places. All you’d need is a knockback and you’d be set. Mobs that surround places like vistas or jumping puzzles would suddenly be meaningless.

People who come from other games see mobs and trash mobs. I see foes and foes. None of them are trivial to me…and I’m pretty sure Anet didn’t design these mobs as “trash”.

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

You know, in the five years I played Guild Wars 1, I think I heard the term trash mob maybe once.

When any mob can drop a precusor, no mob is actually a trash mob, and therefore no mob is actually trivial. That’s also part of why downleveling exists.

It just feels too much like an exploit in too many places. All you’d need is a knockback and you’d be set. Mobs that surround places like vistas or jumping puzzles would suddenly be meaningless.

People who come from other games see mobs and trash mobs. I see foes and foes. None of them are trivial to me…and I’m pretty sure Anet didn’t design these mobs as “trash”.

Thats because everything but the named bosses were trash mobs in GW1, everyone with a brain understood this and it’s why most mobs were skipped unless you cleared a dungeon/zone/uw/fow. God the more I see you post, the more I hope you are a troll. If not you are clearly delusional.

Edit: Even most named bosses were trash mobs, except for getting an elite skill/green wep you wanted…

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Ah, those were the days…

HAHA City of Heroes FTW.

Also.. you have any idea how OP that can be if we can knock NPC’s off the cliff? ..
Even if they get rid of the loot from “KB’d enemies” it’s too easy to be trolled.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

We’re not talking about GW1 right now, so bringing it up is irrelevant and doesn’t provide any point what so ever. There are many things different between this and it’s predecessor – for the good and detriment of the game.

And they can simply alleviate it by removing loot from fall deaths, just like how your armor won’t chip from fall deaths. I’m sure they can figure it out. Even if they didn’t, that isn’t even remotely a reason not to have them unplatformed. What’s the likelyhood of getting precursors from the aforementioned mobs? It’s pretty dam low, I can tell you that much off the top of my head. So I doubt if someone spent all day knocking Krait off cliffs and bandits off mountains that they’d suddenly fill the economy with a dozen new Dusks or Dawns unless they were probably going to get them anyway.

Considering those mobs can be beaten naked I’m pretty sure they’re supposed to be easy to defeat by design. They can make it so that you can’t knock off veterans. That’s fair enough. But the average Risen Knight or random Destroyer troll is easily even less capable than player, in terms of difficulty to deal with. We’re not talking about Tequatl or something. We’re talking about hose mobs you kill like.. 20 a day without even realizing. Seems silly to give them that.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Harpy Fractal would instantly become like 5 minutes faster (probably more for PUGs).

Yeah, people would abuse the hell out of this. I know I would.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I would certainly get some satisfaction from running around catwalks hurling Dredge to their doom for a change.

Then again, it’d take all the challenge (what there is) out of the dredge mines.

On a technical note, mobs can’t jump, either. They have to path the long way round if you jump up or down a ledge. Is it possible that there are just some significant tech issues with giving mobs access to three dimensions?

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

So tell me, when is ArenaNet going to make it so that players can knock off creatures in PvE from platforms and such?

When you create an AI that will make it a reasonably fair fight and teach NPCs to dodge, block, position themselves intelligently, I am certain they will implement your idea.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

So tell me, when is ArenaNet going to make it so that players can knock off creatures in PvE from platforms and such?

When you create an AI that will make it a reasonably fair fight and teach NPCs to dodge, block, position themselves intelligently, I am certain they will implement your idea.

Dumb dead mobs with tons of health, immune to half of player skills, spamming tons of cc and conditions is not a good implementation either.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

They are all trivial to begin with.

Harpy Fractal would instantly become like 5 minutes faster (probably more for PUGs).
Yeah, people would abuse the hell out of this. I know I would.

Aye and it would also become a fun fractal! Awww, no way this can be allowed to happen!

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)