Please Address the Female Human Animation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I would prefer to see the return of human female idle animation and the human female run animation as opposed to seeing more living story.

Not me. Idle character animations to me are rather trivial. I’d rather see more living story content soon after HoT. I don’t sit around staring at my character on idle for hours or even minutes, but I do enjoy playing many hours of actual game content. If they work in the change without sacrificing progress toward more significant game updates then I have no problem with that.

The Burninator

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I would prefer to see the return of human female idle animation and the human female run animation as opposed to seeing more living story.

Not me. Idle character animations to me are rather trivial. I’d rather see more living story content soon after HoT. I don’t sit around staring at my character on idle for hours or even minutes, but I do enjoy playing many hours of actual game content. If they work in the change without sacrificing progress toward more significant game updates then I have no problem with that.

Content does not equal animation. Granted, animation makes content a heck of a lot more enjoyable, but once the animators are done doing their job on content-related projects, they should be able to find time to adjust some idle animations.

However, anet’s track record for getting around to fixing things like this is really bad. An animator with free time can’t just go into the assets and make changes on a whim. He/she has to have permission, and it can’t interfere with other ongoing projects.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Content does not equal animation. Granted, animation makes content a heck of a lot more enjoyable, but once the animators are done doing their job on content-related projects, they should be able to find time to adjust some idle animations.

Exactly, just as a lot of people can play games like Skyrim without ever finishing/touching the main quest. Details do matter. Heck, when first person zoom was added to GW2, I explored the map zoomed for weeks.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The person I responded to said they would rather have the animations back than more living story(content). I also even stated as long as it doesn’t interfere with content related projects I agree it should be a project.

Anyway as has been stated by Anet, the animations will come back when it is a priority. With HoT on the horizon I imagine it is very very low on the list.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

The person I responded to said they would rather have the animations back than more living story(content). I also even stated as long as it doesn’t interfere with content related projects I agree it should be a project.

I apologize.

I let my pre-launch forum debate memories (read “trauma”) get ahead of me.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

@JustTrogdor.7892

Ahh sorry I kinda jumped to page 3 and only saw your post.

@DarkWasp.7291

I was only trying to point out that different devs have different jobs. Animators are artists who could be responsible for designing characters, modeling them, rigging them, and animating them. That includes any biped, quadruped, spider, snake, elder dragon, space alien, or skritt. Nothing moves on it’s own. Animators bring everything to life. They might also be involved in special effects like air ships flying around shooting things, buildings exploding, doors exploding, skritt exploding, or anything like that.

All the stuff animators do has to be coordinated with game designers (the guys who actually plan and program dynamic events, boss fights, etc). So an animator can’t just go back and edit an animation without making sure it’s not going to negatively affect other parts of the game made by non-animators.

Now really… human idle animations probably have a very low impact on other game systems. They shouldn’t be much of a problem to edit. However we have no idea how Anet sets up their asset pipeline, and all of that stuff has to be strictly controlled. Otherwise bugs and insanity run rampant. If an animator went in and changed something on a whim, he/she could get fired. It’s up to management to decide if they want to assign an animator to fix it, and I’m betting management is having them focus on HoT animations exclusively right now.

Posted by: Phantom Master.9582

Phantom Master.9582

Animations do have a big impact on the lifeblood of your character, Anet’s endgame content requires us to stand for long periods of time to set up for groups before then Queuing for PvP or doing a dungeon.

And seeing your character doing practically nothing for over 10 months is really difficult for immersion. I can’t say I relatively loved the feminine animations, but I’d rather have them than nothing that’s for sure.

(PS: Female Greatsword stance is terrible, but I don’t mind dealing with that)

R80 Mesmer- Inquisitor Amena
Eternity~!

(edited by Phantom Master.9582)

Posted by: RandomWolf.3986

RandomWolf.3986

Still no news…

Posted by: medusashadow.3567

medusashadow.3567

The good old days

Attachments:

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Is it that hard for them to re-input the animations?

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

No, it’s not. It’s not a bug issue, it’s a ideological one.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Mikal Dynath.6195

Mikal Dynath.6195

This.

The stated ‘reason’ has proved to be false, as many have pointed to the myriad of other ‘immersion breaking’ actions in cut scenes that have been left in the game.

I think I’d have less an issue with the continued silence on this change if they hadn’t begun this by lying to us.

Posted by: MrSmiley.1543

MrSmiley.1543

This.

The stated ‘reason’ has proved to be false, as many have pointed to the myriad of other ‘immersion breaking’ actions in cut scenes that have been left in the game.

I think I’d have less an issue with the continued silence on this change if they hadn’t begun this by lying to us.

Man as a returning player..all I see is complaints over a plethora of small to large problems and complete and utter silence from the dev team… Their lack of communication on anything and the large timeframes of all said issues are likely gonna drive me to not buy hot and just leave the game behind again, It doesn’t look like they can be counted on for anything, big or small.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Dev teams job isn’t to communicate to the plethora of complaints … when do you think they would find the time to correct issues if they did? Nothing issues deserve nothing responses.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

But, but I think yawning during the story is a legitimate reaction.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Heartpains.7312

Heartpains.7312

Sorry to ask but really what happened to it? =/
talking about the topic that was being discussed about it =p

Heartpains.7312

Thank you very much. =)
I suppose they don’t want to bother with putting it back then =/

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Well, IMO they still should spare some manpower to acknowledge this area of the game. Basic character movement, weapon attacks, emotes and other similar animations really would improve with some polish and expansion.

I understand the resources are finite. But these are the details that make the whole feel alive in the first place.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

If I recall, this “bug” magically showed up not long after someone complained about how they personally didn’t like the animations.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

If the bug was deliberate, I’m glad. I wouldn’t mind more idle animations, but the stretch was so ridiculous and male gazey.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Hey, its O.K. for males to gaze.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Hey, its O.K. for males to gaze.

Attachments:

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I don’t get the image.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Deleena.3406

Deleena.3406

I dont miss that odd stretchy idle. but i wish female norn had different idle animation from female human :s
/Sylvari MasterRaceIdle

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

I don’t get the image.

Think he was eyeing up her bum as a joke.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

If the bug was deliberate, I’m glad. I wouldn’t mind more idle animations, but the stretch was so ridiculous and male gazey.

This comment is terrible on so many levels.

Heartpains.7312

Well, I myself liked all those human female animations, and believe me getting more options is usually good not a bad thing, I mean we are not asking for naked characters or something like that. =)

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Well, I myself liked all those human female animations, and believe me getting more options is usually good not a bad thing, I mean we are not asking for naked characters or something like that. =)

I am! But not human females. Charr and males all the way.

Posted by: Finalfreefall.8247

Finalfreefall.8247

If I recall, this “bug” magically showed up not long after someone complained about how they personally didn’t like the animations.

If that’s true then it’s very disappointing.

(edited by Finalfreefall.8247)

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

The “stretch” was lame because it “stretched” the textures around the armpit and it looked ugly. Not to mention the arm/head clipping issues… I’m actually glad it’s gone.

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

The “stretch” was lame because it “stretched” the textures around the armpit and it looked ugly. Not to mention the arm/head clipping issues… I’m actually glad it’s gone.

Unfortunately, that animation wasn’t the only one that was removed. Anet removed every single idle animation except the one where the character fiddles with her hair. Human females also used to have one animation where they kicked the ground in boredom, and there may have been more that I don’t remember.

As it is now, human females desperately need more idle animations, whether they are the old ones or completely new ones.

Posted by: Zap Rowsdower.6305

Zap Rowsdower.6305

Suggestion: Implement a strip tease idle animation?

Posted by: Finalfreefall.8247

Finalfreefall.8247

I’d rather have one for Sylvari, where they take their face or part of their arm off and check to make sure that all the parts are in place.

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

I’d rather have one for Sylvari, where they take their face or part of their arm off and check to make sure that all the parts are in place.

Or do what the numakians (spelling) from dbz do. Rip of their arm and grow a new 1 xD

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge